本集简介
双语字幕
仅展示文本字幕,不包含中文音频;想边听边看,请使用 Bayt 播客 App。
本BBC播客在英国境外由广告支持。
This BBC podcast is supported by ads outside The UK.
你好。
Hello.
我是格雷格·詹纳,《你已不在人间》的主持人。
Greg Jenner here, host of You're Dead to Me.
在我的新家庭友好播客系列《死亡趣味历史》中,历史人物短暂复活,与我争论、讲述生平故事,有时还会惹恼我。
In my new family friendly podcast series, Dead Funny History, historical figures come back to life for just about long enough to argue with me, tell us their life stories, and sometimes get on my nerves.
共有15期精彩内容待您探索,包括拉美西斯大帝、约瑟芬·贝克的故事,足球历史以及更多精彩内容。
There's 15 lovely episodes to unwrap, including the life of Ramses the great, Josephine Baker, and the history of football plus much, much more.
这个圣诞节,让《死亡趣味历史》为您的耳朵带来欢乐。
So this Christmas, give your ears a treat with dead funny history.
您可在BBC官网的《你已不在人间》栏目或任意播客平台收听。
You can find it in the you're dead to be feed on bbc.com or wherever you get your podcasts.
你已经在听力练习室练习过听力了吗?
Have you practiced your listening with the listing room yet?
收听真实的BBC新闻报道并回答问题来练习听力技巧。
Listen to real BBC news reports and answer the questions to practice your listening skills.
从梅西到大猩猩友谊,你会发现许多感兴趣的内容。
From Lionel Messi to Gorilla Friendships, you'll find lots to interest you.
现在就访问我们网站的技能版块bbclearningenglish.com,立即提升你的听力水平。
Go to the skills section of our website now, bbclearningenglish.com, and improve your listening today.
六分钟英语。
Six Minute English.
来自bbclearningenglish.com。
From bbclearningenglish.com.
你好。
Hello.
这里是BBC英语学习的六分钟英语节目。
This is six Minute English from BBC Learning English.
我是皮帕。
I'm Pippa.
我是贝丝。
And I'm Beth.
野外觅食是指在乡村漫步,寻找可食用的野生植物。
Foraging is the activity of walking in the countryside looking for plants you can eat that grow in the wild.
从黑莓、栗子到蘑菇和野蒜,各种野生植物都可以采集。
That's anything from blackberries and chestnuts to mushrooms and wild garlic.
这是人类一直以来的活动。
It's something humans have always done.
最近,它在年轻人群体中变得流行起来。
And recently, it's become fashionable among groups of young people.
皮帕,你有过野外觅食的经历吗?
Pippa, have you ever been foraging?
有。
Yes.
我小时候常去采黑莓,但成年后就没怎么做了。
We used to go and pick blackberries when I was younger, but I haven't really done it as an adult.
要我去采蘑菇之类的东西,我会有点紧张。
And I would be a bit nervous to look for mushrooms or things like that.
你呢?
What about you?
我完全一样。
I'm exactly the same.
如果看到灌木丛上的黑莓,我会摘来吃。
If I see a blackberry on a bush, I will eat it.
但蘑菇就算了,太吓人了。
But mushrooms, no, too scary.
在本期节目中,我们将结识两位来自不同国家、热衷于采摘野生食物的年轻女性。
So in this episode, we'll meet two young women from different countries who are passionate about foraging wild food.
她们都是自学成才,通过研究周围的自然环境学会了觅食。
They're both self taught, having learned to forage by studying the natural world around them.
需要特别说明的是,她们只食用能百分百确认安全的食物,严格遵守'拿不准就不吃'的原则。
And it's important to say that they only eat what they can identify with 100% certainty, sticking to the rule if in doubt, leave it out.
我们还将学习一些有用的新词汇和短语,所有这些都可以在我们的网站bbclearningenglish.com上找到。
We'll also be learning some useful new words and phrases, all of which you'll find on our website bbclearningenglish.com.
但在那之前,我有个问题要问你,皮帕。
But before that, I have a question for you, Pippa.
如前所述,在采集野生食物时,你必须确切知道什么是可以安全食用的。
As mentioned, when foraging, you must know for certain what is safe to eat.
绝对不能食用的就是毒鹅膏菌。
Something definitely not safe to eat is the mushroom deathcap.
顾名思义,这是世界上最致命的蘑菇之一,在不列颠群岛很常见。
As the name suggests, it's one of the world's deadliest mushrooms, and it's common across the British Isles.
但它是什么颜色的呢?
But what colour is it?
毒鹅膏菌是a、棕色,b、白色,还是c、红色?
Are death cap mushrooms a, brown, b, white or c, red?
我猜如果是危险的话,可能是红色的。
I'm gonna say if it's dangerous, maybe it's red.
好的。
Okay.
我们将在节目稍后揭晓答案。
Well, we'll find out later in the programme.
首先,让我们认识一下生活在南非开普角的野生食物采集者罗莎娜·格雷。
First, let's meet Roshana Grey, a wild food forager living in Cape Point, South Africa.
罗莎娜从她的婆婆那里学会了采集技能,正如她在BBC国际服务节目《对话》中所解释的那样。
Roshana learned how to forage from her mother-in-law as she explains here to BBC World Service Programme, The Conversation.
她是一位园艺学家。
So she is a horticulturalist.
她对植物有着深厚的了解。
She has a deep knowledge of plants.
于是我开始观察这片陌生的土地,学习这些对我来说全新的植物,并思考它们是否可食用。
And so I would be kind of scanning the landscape and learning about these new plants, all new to me, and wondering if you could eat them.
在采集过程中,最关键的是必须百分百确定某种东西能否食用。
Something that's incredibly important in foraging is to know 110% if you can eat it.
植物的准确鉴定
Positive identification of the plant.
所以她就是我的植物专家
And so she was my plant person.
罗莎娜的婆婆是位园艺学家,专门研究或种植花卉、水果和蔬菜等植物的人
Roshana's mother-in-law is a horticulturalist, a person who studies or grows plants such as flowers, fruits and vegetables.
她对自然界中生长的野生植物有着深厚的知识
She has a deep knowledge of the wild plants growing in nature.
深厚的知识意味着通过经验和研究获得对某一主题的透彻理解,而不仅仅是了解基本事实
A deep knowledge means a thorough understanding of a subject gained from experience and study, not just knowing the basic facts.
觅食者需要的一项技能是观察地形
One skill foragers need is scanning the landscape.
观察意味着用眼睛搜索广阔区域以寻找特定事物
Scanning means searching a wide area with your eyes to find some particular thing.
在这里特指可食用植物和草药
In this case, edible plants and herbs.
当然,罗莎娜只吃那些她能明确识别的植物。
And of course, Roshana only eats plants that she can positively identify.
那些她百分百确定可以安全食用的植物。
Plants that she knows a 110% are safe to eat.
这里的习语'百分百'意味着罗莎娜完全确信。
Here, the idiom a 110% means Roshana is completely sure.
她毫不怀疑。
She has no doubt.
这很重要,因为误食有毒植物的后果可能是严重的疾病甚至死亡。
And that's important as the consequences of eating poisonous plants are serious sickness or even death.
我们的第二位女性采集者艾米丽·史密斯搬到日本乡村,从事一项记录和采集野生蘑菇的项目。
Our second female forager, Emily Smith, moved to rural Japan to work on a project cataloguing and collecting wild mushrooms.
日本约有5000种蘑菇,其中300种可食用,蘑菇是传统日本料理的重要组成部分。
With around 5,000 varieties, 300 of which are edible, mushrooms are an important part of traditional Japanese cooking.
但由于有'死亡帽'这样的名字和有毒的名声,蘑菇是许多野生采集者最担心的东西。
But with names like death cap and a reputation for being poisonous, mushrooms are what many wild foragers worry about the most.
艾米丽在BBC国际服务节目《对话》中谈到了这些担忧。
Emily discussed these worries with BBC World Service program, The Conversation.
我认为这种污名有点错位,因为植物可能和蘑菇一样危险,甚至更危险。
That stigma is a bit misplaced, I think, because plants can be just as dangerous, if not more dangerous than mushrooms.
我觉得蘑菇一直受到很多不公正的诋毁。
And I think that mushrooms have been much maligned.
就像罗珊娜说的,采摘任何东西时都必须谨慎。
I mean, you've got to exercise caution, as Roshana said, in anything that you pick.
在食用之前,你需要确认它是什么。
You need to know what it is before you consume it.
如果有疑问,就扔掉它
And if in doubt, throw it
这句话说得非常好。
out is a very good phrase to say.
艾米丽认为人们对蘑菇存在偏见。
Emily thinks there's a stigma around mushrooms.
污名是指对某事物持有的负面信念,这种信念未必真实或公正。
A stigma is a negative belief about something, which is not necessarily true or fair.
事实上,许多植物和蘑菇一样有毒。
In fact, many plants are just as poisonous as mushrooms.
关键是要谨慎行事,以小心和专注的态度来规避潜在危险。
The main thing is to exercise caution, to act with care and attention so as to avoid possible dangers.
换句话说,就是要多加小心。
In other words, to be careful.
而最好的方法就是学会区分哪些可以安全食用,哪些不行。
And the best way of doing that is learning the difference between what's safe to eat and what's not.
说到这个,贝丝,你问题的答案是什么来着?
Speaking of which, what was the answer to your question, Beth?
我问过你毒鹅膏菌是什么颜色?
I asked you what colour are death cap mushrooms?
你说是红色,我也以为是这个答案,但实际上它们是白色的。
You said red, which I also thought was the answer, but actually they are white.
对。
Right.
是时候回顾一下我们学过的关于野外觅食的词汇了。
It's time to recap the vocabulary we've learnt about foraging.
首先是园艺学家,指研究或种植植物的人。
Starting with horticulturalist, a person who studies or grows plants.
如果你对某个学科有深入了解,意味着你通过经验和研究对其有透彻的理解。
If you have a deep knowledge of a subject, you have a thorough understanding of it gained from experience and study.
扫描是指用眼睛搜索大片区域以寻找特定事物。
Scanning involves searching a wide area with your eyes to find some particular thing.
如果你对某事有110%的把握,表示你绝对确信、毫无疑虑。
If you're 110% sure about something, you're absolutely certain you have no doubt.
污名是指对某事不公平的负面看法。
A stigma is an unfair negative belief about something.
最后,'exercise caution'是'小心谨慎'更正式的说法。
And finally, to exercise caution is a more formal way of saying to be careful.
如果你自己去野外觅食,这一点一定要记住。
Something you should definitely remember if you go wild foraging yourself.
我们的六分钟时间又到了。
Once again, our six minutes are up.
如果你喜欢本期节目,可以在我们的网站bbclearningenglish.com上找到词汇练习的小测验和工作表。
If you enjoyed this episode, you'll find a quiz and worksheet to practise the vocabulary on our website bbclearningenglish.com.
下次再见。
See you again soon.
再见
Bye for
。
now.
再见。
Goodbye.
六分钟英语。
Six Minute English.
来自bbclearningenglish.com。
From bbclearningenglish.com.
你好。
Hello.
我是格雷格·詹纳,《You're Dead to Me》的主持人。
Greg Jenner here, host of You're Dead to Me.
在我的新家庭友好播客系列《Dead Funny History》中,历史人物短暂复活,与我争论、讲述他们的生平故事,有时还会惹恼我。
In my new family friendly podcast series, Dead Funny History, historical figures come back to life for just about long enough to argue with me, tell us their life stories, and sometimes get on my nerves.
共有15集精彩内容等待解锁,包括拉美西斯大帝、约瑟芬·贝克的故事,以及足球历史等等。
There's 15 lovely episodes to unwrap, including the life of Ramses the great, Josephine Baker, and the history of football plus much, much more.
这个圣诞节,让《Dead Funny History》给你的耳朵带来享受吧。
So this Christmas, give your ears a treat with dead funny history.
你可以在bbc.com的《You're Dead to Me》订阅源或任何你获取播客的地方找到它。
You can find it in the you're dead to be feed on bbc.com or wherever you get your podcasts.
关于 Bayt 播客
Bayt 提供中文+原文双语音频和字幕,帮助你打破语言障碍,轻松听懂全球优质播客。