本集简介
双语字幕
仅展示文本字幕,不包含中文音频;想边听边看,请使用 Bayt 播客 App。
你认识刚开始学英语的人吗?
Do you know someone who is starting to learn English?
我们专门为他们准备了一套简单的新视频系列。
We have a new easy video series just for them.
伦敦字母挑战赛。
The London Letter Challenge.
三支队伍在伦敦展开竞赛,寻找八封信件,这些信件将带领他们赢得冠军王冠。
Three teams race around London to find eight letters which will take them to the winning crowns.
现在就在我们的网站上观看这个系列节目吧。
Watch the series on our websites now.
Bbclearningenglish.com。
Bbclearningenglish.com.
六分钟英语。
Six Minute English.
来自bbclearningenglish.com。
From bbclearningenglish.com.
你好。
Hello.
这里是BBC英语学习的六分钟英语节目。
This is six Minute English from BBC Learning English.
我是皮帕。
I'm Pippa.
我是菲尔。
And I'm Phil.
皮帕,你小时候最喜欢的游戏是什么?
What was your favourite game when you were a child, Pippa?
我想我最喜欢的游戏是跳绳。
I think my favourite game was skipping with a skipping rope.
你呢?
How about you?
嗯,我从来不会跳绳,所以我更喜欢踢足球。
Well, I could never skip, so I think I just preferred playing football.
哦,那确实是操场上很适合玩的游戏。
Oh, well, that's a good game to play in the playground.
八十年前,英国城市里的孩子们在二战中被炸毁的房屋废墟上玩耍是很常见的。
Eighty years ago, it was quite common for children in Britain's cities to play in bomb sites, the ruins of houses which had been destroyed in World War two.
如今这种理念又流行起来,不过孩子们玩耍的地方不再是轰炸遗址,而是被称为冒险游乐场的废旧物品游乐场。
Today, the idea is back in fashion with kids playing not in bomb sites, but in junk playgrounds, also called adventure playgrounds.
与预先安装好秋千和滑梯的传统游乐场不同,冒险游乐场提供各种建筑材料让孩子们自己搭建。
In contrast to pre made playgrounds where swings and slides are fixed in place, adventure playgrounds provide pieces of building materials for kids to build things themselves.
记者威廉·克莱默为BBC国际服务节目《人类修复世界》探访了威尔士北部雷克瑟姆的这样一处游乐场。
Reporter William Cramer went to see one such playground in Wrexham, North Wales for BBC World Service programme, People Fixing the World.
乍一看,这块地不过是个垃圾场。
At first glance, the land is little more than a junkyard.
那里堆放着用过的木托盘和大型线缆卷轴。
There are stacks of used wooden pallets and big reels for holding wires.
但如果仔细观察,你会看到歪歪斜斜的自制结构、躲藏洞和小塔楼。
But if you look a little bit closer, you'll see crooked homemade structures, hidey holes and turrets.
孩子们光着脚奔跑。
Children run barefoot.
他们荡着绳索,从临时搭建的水滑梯上滑下。
They swing on ropes and throw themselves down a makeshift water slide.
乍一看,威廉只看到一堆垃圾。
At first glance, William sees only junk.
短语'乍一看'指的是在有机会仔细观察之前,第一次看某样东西。
The phrase at first glance means looking at something for the first time before having a chance to look more carefully.
冒险游乐场确实堆满了各种废弃物,比如旧轮胎、木板和绳索等建筑材料。
Adventure playgrounds are indeed full of junk, pieces of construction material like old tyres, planks of wood and lengths of rope.
但仔细观察,你会发现孩子们正利用这些废弃物玩耍,搭建小窝和藏身处。
But look closely and you'll see children using the junk to play, building dens and hidey holes.
'藏身处'是指藏东西的小地方,在这里指孩子们躲藏的地方。
A hidey hole is a small place for hiding things, or in this case, for children to hide themselves.
本期节目中,我们将了解冒险游乐场如何给予孩子们自由玩耍的空间。
In this episode, we'll be hearing how adventure playgrounds are giving kids the freedom and space to play.
和往常一样,我们会学习一些有用的新单词和短语。
As usual, we'll be learning some useful new words and phrases.
记得你可以在我们的网站bbclearningenglish.com找到本期所有词汇和文字稿。
And remember, you can find all this episode's vocabulary along with a transcript on our website bbclearningenglish.com.
不过现在我有个问题要问你,皮帕。
But now I have a question for you, Pippa.
我们知道冒险游乐场始于二战后,但具体是哪个国家呢?
We know that adventure playground started off after the Second World War, but in which country?
是a选项法国,b选项德国,还是c选项丹麦?
Was it a, France, b) Germany or c) Denmark?
我想可能是法国。
I think maybe France.
我觉得法国孩子可能非常具有冒险精神。
I think French children maybe were very adventurous.
好的。
Okay.
我们稍后会在节目中揭晓这个问题的答案。
Well, we'll find out the answer to that question later in the program.
冒险游乐场给予孩子们自由选择游戏方式的权力。
Adventure playgrounds give kids the freedom to choose how they play.
根据儿童发展专家安娜·豪斯利·贾斯特博士的说法,这种自由至关重要,正如她在BBC国际频道《人民改变世界》节目中所解释的。
According to child development expert, doctor Anna Housley Juster, this freedom is vital as she explains here to BBC World Services People Fixing the World.
确实如此。
It's true.
我们确实倾向于在某种程度上弱化游戏的重要性,但实际上,在满足儿童最基本的需求——食物、住所、饮水、安全环境之后,游戏无疑是健康儿童发展的最重要因素。
We do tend to minimize play in certain ways, but actually, after the most basic needs are met for children, so food, shelter, water, safe place to be, play is by far the most important factor for healthy child development.
安娜认为游戏与儿童的基本需求(如食物和安全)同等重要。
Anna thinks play is as important as a child's basic needs like food and safety.
但不幸的是,游戏的重要性往往被低估。
But unfortunately, the importance of play tends to be minimised.
如果某事常有发生,意味着它频繁出现且很可能再次发生。
If something tends to happen, it happens often and is likely to happen again.
安娜表示,在满足孩子的基本需求后,玩耍无疑是健康童年最重要的因素。
Anna says that after a child's basic needs are met, play is by far the most important factor in a healthy childhood.
她用'无疑'这个词来表示程度非常大。
She uses the phrase 'by far' to mean by a great amount.
例如,老师可能会说:'你无疑是班上最优秀的学生。'
For example, your teacher might say, 'You're by far the best student in class.'
安娜将这种在安全环境中进行可控风险的自由称为自主玩耍。
The freedom to take controlled risks in a safe environment is what Anna calls self directed play.
她在BBC节目《人民改变世界》主持人迈拉·阿努比面前进一步解释了这一点。
Here, she explains more to Myra Anuby, presenter of BBC programme, People Fixing the World.
所以你的意思是让孩子们自由玩耍,或者说让他们自己玩并想出各种点子。
So what you're saying is letting kids play free play, actually, or play on their own and kind of come up with the ideas.
这对他们的发展确实至关重要。
That's really crucial for their development.
这对他们的发展百分百重要。
It's 100% crucial for their development.
我说它具有保护性时,指的是孩子们能培养韧性、自信心、应对策略和调节策略。
What I meant when I said that it's protective is that kids build resiliency, confidence, coping strategies, regulation strategies.
我们已知的许多能促进健康人类发展的技能都是在玩耍中形成的。
So many of the skills that we know lead to healthy human development are developed in play.
迈拉提到了自由玩耍的重要性,安娜说这百分百关键,意思是完全如此。
Myra mentions the importance of free play, and Anna says it's 100% crucial, meaning completely.
你也可以用'百分百'作为非正式回应,表示完全同意对方的观点。
You can also say 100% as an informal response to mean, yes, I agree with you completely.
冒险游乐场有许多小危险,比如硬木块、尖锐金属和钉子。
Adventure playgrounds have lots of small dangers, hard pieces of wood, sharp metal, nails.
根据安娜的说法,在玩耍时冒些小风险能让孩子更具韧性,并建立应对策略——这个术语指的是儿童为应对挑战性情境而发展的心理方式。
According to Anna, taking small risks when playing with these makes kids more resilient and builds coping strategies, a term for the psychological ways children develop to manage challenging situations.
菲尔,我想现在是揭晓你问答环节答案的时候了。
And Phil, I think it's time for the answer to your quiz question.
是的。
Yes.
我问你们冒险游乐场起源于哪个国家。
I asked you in which country adventure playground started.
你们说是法国,但正确答案其实是丹麦。
You said France, but I'm afraid the correct answer was Denmark.
这是由丹麦建筑师卡尔·西奥多·索伦森引入的。
They were introduced by Danish architect Carl Theodor Sorensen.
好,我们来复习下学过的词汇,从短语'乍一看'开始,它表示快速看到某物而没有机会更仔细考虑。
Okay, let's recap the vocabulary we've learned, starting with the phrase 'at first glance', where you see something quickly without a chance to consider it more carefully.
'藏身洞'是指用来藏东西或藏身的小地方。
A hidey hole is a small place for hiding things in or hiding yourself in.
如果说人们倾向于做某事,意思是他们经常做且未来很可能继续做。
If people tend to do something, they do it often and will probably continue to do it in the future.
短语'by far'表示程度很大。
The phrase by far means by a great amount.
说'100%'表示完全,可用于强调某个说法或表示完全同意。
Saying 100% means completely and can be used to emphasise a statement or show that you totally agree with it.
最后,应对策略是在挑战性情境中管理情绪的心理方法。
And finally, coping strategies are psychological ways of managing your emotions in challenging situations.
我们的六分钟时间又到了,但请记住,您可以在我们的网站bbclearningenglish.com上找到更多热门话题,以及本集的测验和工作表。
Once again, our six minutes are up, but remember, you can find many more trending topics plus a quiz and worksheet for this episode on our website, bbclearningenglish.com.
希望很快能在那里见到您,但现在要说再见了。
Hope to see you there soon, but for now, it's goodbye.
再见。
Goodbye.
关于 Bayt 播客
Bayt 提供中文+原文双语音频和字幕,帮助你打破语言障碍,轻松听懂全球优质播客。