本集简介
双语字幕
仅展示文本字幕,不包含中文音频;想边听边看,请使用 Bayt 播客 App。
通过听力室提升你的听力能力。
Improve your listening with the listening room.
收听BBC新闻报道并回答问题,检验你的理解程度。
Listen to BBC news reports and answer the questions to test your understanding.
从雌性大猩猩的友谊到太空中的米其林风格美食,我们相信你一定能找到感兴趣的内容。
From female gorilla friendships to Michelin styled food in space, We know you'll find something that interests you.
现在就前往我们网站的技能板块,找到听力室。
Find the listening room in the skills section of our website now.
Bbclearningenglish.com。
Bbclearningenglish.com.
六分钟英语。
Six Minute English.
来自bbclearningenglish.com。
From bbclearningenglish.com.
你好。
Hello.
这是BBC英语学习的六分钟英语。
This is six Minute English from BBC Learning English.
我是尼尔。
I'm Neil.
我是贝丝。
And I'm Beth.
尼尔,当你和朋友聊天时,你通常对世界上的事情持相同还是不同的观点?
Neil, when you're chatting with friends, do you usually have the same or different opinion on things going on in the world?
哦,这很有趣。
Oh, well, that's interesting.
我认为我可能持有相当相似的观点,这也许正是我们成为朋友的原因。
I think I probably have quite similar opinions and that's kind of why we're friends.
我们可能希望自己能够接纳和包容他人的信仰。
Well, we might like to believe that we're accepting and tolerant of others' beliefs.
但对许多人来说,与观点与自己截然不同的人沟通可能很困难。
But for many people, it can be difficult to communicate with people who have very different opinions to our own.
这种不接纳的态度可能随着我们使用社交媒体而加剧。
And this lack of acceptance could be increasing with our use of social media.
例如,算法往往会向我们展示我们已经喜欢和认同的内容。
For example, algorithms tend to show us what we already like and agree with.
当然,我们不可能总是与他人意见一致。
Of course, we can't always agree with everyone else.
我们每个人对宗教、政治等话题都有自己的观点和信念。
We all have personal opinions and beliefs on topics like religion and politics.
但有些人担心,当意见不合时,越来越多的人会以暴力回应,而不是和平地共同解决分歧。
But some worry that it's becoming more and more common to react with violence when they disagree than to solve disagreements together peacefully.
那么,我们是否正变得越来越分裂呢?
So are we becoming a more divided society?
分裂意味着与他人意见不合、彼此分离,不再团结。
Divided means in disagreement with and separated from others to not be together.
我们该如何更加包容和开放地对待他人的观点呢?
And how can we be more accepting and open to the opinions of others?
这正是我们将在本节目中讨论的内容。
That's what we'll be discussing in this programme.
和往常一样,我们还将学习一些有用的生词和短语。
And as usual, we'll be learning some useful new words and phrases.
请记住,您可以在我们的网站 bbclearningenglish.com 上找到本节目所有的词汇。
Remember, you can find all the vocabulary from this programme on our website bbclearningenglish.com.
但首先,我有个问题要问你,贝丝。
But first I have a question for you Beth.
根据最近的益普索民调,有多少比例的英国人认为社会是分裂的?
According to a recent Ipsos poll, what percentage of the British population believes society is divided?
是 a) 20% b) 50% 还是 c) 80%?
Is it a) 20% b) 50% or c) 80%?
哦,我觉得是 50%。
Oh, I'm going to say 50%.
好吧,我们稍后在节目中揭晓答案。
Well, we'll find out the answer later in the programme.
伦敦政治经济学院行为科学教授保罗·多兰认为,我们应当学会控制情绪,并在意见不同时保持开放的讨论态度。
Paul Dolan, Professor of Behavioural Science at the London School of Economics, thinks we should learn how to control our emotions and be open to discussions when we disagree.
在这里,他进一步解释了如何在BBC世界服务节目《全在心中》中做到这一点。
Here, he explains more about how to do this on BBC World Service programme All In The Mind.
如果我们冷静下来,通常能做出更好的决定,并且以更尊重的方式进行交流。
Generally, we're going to be making better decisions and more respectfully if we calm down.
当你真正激动时,需要十五分钟才能让杏仁核平静下来,但几秒钟内它就开始逐渐平复。
It takes fifteen minutes when you're proper aroused for the amygdala to calm down, but within a few seconds, it can start calming down.
对吧?
Right?
你深吸一口气,就会开始感觉平静下来。
You take a deep breath and you start feeling calmer.
这并不是说一直保持冷静就是好的。
Not to say that always being calm is good.
愤怒可以具有激励作用,而积极的情绪实际上对我们非常有益。
Anger can be motivational and positive emotions actually can be very good for us.
通常情况下,人们在更快乐时会做出更好的决定,并且更投入、更开放。
Generally, people make better decisions and are more engaging and more open when they're happier.
但很多时候,只需冷静下来,就能为环境降温。
But much of time, it will be just a case of calming down to try and take some of the heat out of the environment.
保罗认为,当我们感到激动时,应该花时间冷静下来,这里的‘激动’指的是感到愤怒或强烈不同意。
Paul thinks we should take time to calm down when we feel aroused, which here means to feel anger or strong disagreement.
他说,当我们激动时,大脑中负责情绪的杏仁核需要十五分钟才能平静下来。
He said it takes fifteen minutes for the amygdala, the part of the brain that experiences emotions, to calm down when we're aroused.
虽然愤怒可以起到激励作用,让我们更有决心和热情,但保罗表示,当环境中的情绪热度降低时,人们在更快乐的状态下会更坦诚地交流。
While anger can be motivational, make us more determined and enthusiastic, Paul says people can speak more openly when they're happier when heat is taken out of the environment.
这里的‘热度’指的是像愤怒这样的强烈情绪。
Heat in this context means an intense feeling like anger.
最近一项关于约会的实验研究了人们在约会资料中声称的理想伴侣标准。
Now, one recent dating experiment looked into what people say they want in an ideal partner according to their dating profile.
研究人员发现,许多单身人士在资料中详细列出了他们对伴侣外貌、身高、投票政党等方面的要求。
Researchers found that many single people included details on things like what they want their partner to look like, their height, the political party they vote for.
但许多人也表示,他们希望伴侣思想开明,能包容不同的观点。
But many also say they want a partner who is open minded and tolerant of different views.
如果你思想开明,你就愿意倾听并考虑新的想法。
If you are open minded, you're willing to listen to and consider new ideas.
然而,研究人员得出结论:尽管人们希望伴侣思想开明、包容,但他们自己并不想太过开明。
However, the researchers concluded that while people want a partner to be open minded and tolerant, they don't want to be very open minded themselves.
那么,我们如何才能更开放地去了解那些可能与我们意见相左的人呢?
So how can we be more open to getting to know people that we might disagree with?
以下是保罗·多兰再次接受BBC世界服务频道《全在心中》节目主持人克劳迪娅·哈蒙德的采访。
Here's Paul Dolan again talking to presenter Claudia Hammond of BBC World Services, All In The Mind.
所以,我想一个非常明显的答案就是 offline( offline)。
So I guess one very obvious answer is to get offline.
我的意思是,多走出去,多与人见面,因为政治学家认为这是万能解药。
I mean, to actually just get out more and meet people because it's what political scientists think as the silver bullet.
你知道,你接触的与自己不同的人越多,就越会意识到他们其实并没有那么不同,从而变得更加包容和开明。
You know, the more you're around people that are different, the more you realize that actually they're not that different and you become more tolerant and open minded.
所以,与不同的人在一起,我认为这可能是解决这个问题的方法。
So being around people that are different, I think that's probably the way that we're going to tackle that problem.
保罗说,政治学家认为,摆脱网络、多接触人是解决问题的灵丹妙药。
Paul says political scientists think the silver bullet is to get offline and meet people.
灵丹妙药指的是解决复杂问题的简单方法。
A silver bullet means a simple solution to a complicated problem.
通过与持有不同观点和信仰的人见面,你会越来越意识到他们其实和你并没有太大不同。
By meeting people who have different opinions and beliefs to you, the more you'll realise they're not that different to you at all.
这可能会让你更包容,从而促成一个分裂程度更低的社会。
And that could make you more accepting and lead to a society that is less divided.
说到分裂,尼尔,难道不是时候揭晓你问题的答案了吗?
And speaking of divided, isn't it time you revealed the answer to your question, Neil?
是的。
Yes.
我问的是,根据英国民意调查机构益普索最近的一项调查,有多少比例的英国人认为社会存在分裂?
I asked what percentage of the British population believes society is divided according to a recent poll by the organisation Ipsos?
我说是50%。
I said 50%.
我答对了吗?
Was that correct?
答错了。
It was not correct.
实际上是80%。
It is in fact 80%.
哇,这么多啊。
Wow, that's a lot.
好的。
Okay.
让我们回顾一下本节目中学到的词汇,首先是divided,意思是意见不一、不团结。
Let's recap the vocabulary we've learned in this programme, starting with divided which means in disagreement, not together.
Aroused的意思是产生强烈的情绪,比如愤怒。
Aroused means feel a strong emotion like anger.
如果某事具有激励性,它会让我们充满决心和热情。
If something is motivational, it makes us determined and enthusiastic.
热忱意味着产生强烈的感情,比如愤怒。
Heat means an intense feeling like anger.
如果你思想开放,你就愿意倾听并考虑新想法。
If you are open minded, you are willing to listen to and consider new ideas.
最后,银弹指的是解决复杂问题的简单方法。
And finally, a silver bullet means a simple solution to a complicated problem.
再次提醒,我们的六分钟时间到了。
Once again, our six minutes are up.
如果你喜欢这个节目,为什么不尝试用我们的练习表来练习你学到的新词汇呢?
If you've enjoyed this programme, why not try practising the new vocabulary you've learnt with our worksheets?
现在可以从我们的网站 bbclearningenglish.com 下载。
It's available to download now from our website bbclearningenglish.com.
你也可以在那儿尝试一下测验。
And you could also try out the quiz while you're there.
暂时再见。
Goodbye for now.
再见。
Goodbye.
六分钟英语。
Six Minute English.
来自 bbclearningenglish.com。
From bbclearningenglish.com.
关于 Bayt 播客
Bayt 提供中文+原文双语音频和字幕,帮助你打破语言障碍,轻松听懂全球优质播客。