本集简介
双语字幕
仅展示文本字幕,不包含中文音频;想边听边看,请使用 Bayt 播客 App。
老兄,真不敢相信在录制过程中,我们居然让网景的首席架构师重启浏览器来排查问题。
Dude, I cannot believe that in recording this, we asked the chief architect of Netscape to restart his browser to see if that fixed the problem.
欢迎收听本期《Acquired》特别节目,这是一档讲述伟大科技公司及其背后故事与成功法则的播客。
Welcome to this special episode of Acquired, the podcast about great technology companies and the stories and playbooks behind them.
我是本·吉尔伯特,西雅图Pioneer Square Labs联合创始人兼董事总经理,同时负责我们的风险投资基金PSL Ventures。
I'm Ben Gilbert, and I'm the cofounder and managing director of Seattle based Pioneer Square Labs and our venture fund, PSL Ventures.
我是大卫·罗森塔尔,旧金山的天使投资人。
And I'm David Rosenthal, and I am an angel investor based in San Francisco.
我们将共同担任本期节目主持。
And we are your hosts.
今天的节目将融合互联网世界最前沿与最古老的事物。
Today's episode is a mashup between one of the newest things on the Internet and the oldest things on the Internet.
今天的嘉宾是布兰登·艾克,勇敢浏览器(Brave Browser)的首席执行官,这款应用正处于快速兴起的Web3世界的核心位置。
Our guest today is Brendan Eich, CEO of the Brave Browser, an application right at the heart of the rapidly emerging web three world.
可以说这是目前最大的基于区块链的应用,月活跃用户超过5000万。
It is arguably the single largest blockchain based app with over 50,000,000 monthly users.
不过,布兰登可不是这个领域的新手。
However, Brendan is no new kid on the block.
他拥有发明JavaScript的资历,这个语言给在座的各位带来了许多欢乐,也带来了不少痛苦。
He holds the credential of inventing JavaScript, a source of much joy and also much pain for many of you out there.
布兰登曾是网景公司的首席架构师,并最终成为火狐浏览器开发商Mozilla的首席执行官。
And Brendan was the chief architect of Netscape and eventually became the CEO of Mozilla, the makers of Firefox.
所以你的意思是5000万用户虽然不错,但布兰登希望这个数字还能大幅增长?
So you're saying 50,000,000 is nice, but Brendan wants this to go a lot higher.
加密领域很好,但浏览器领域还不够好。
It's crypto nice, but it's not browser nice.
目前。
Yet.
目前。
Yet.
是的。
Yes.
但它正在快速增长。
But it is rapidly growing.
我们与Brendan进行了一次广泛对话,今天你们将听到这次跨越新旧世界的精彩对话。
We had a, wide ranging conversation with Brendan that you'll hear today that bridged this old world and the new in some really fun ways.
好了,听众们。
Okay, listeners.
现在正是向大家介绍节目新朋友Claude的好时机,你们很多人应该已经熟悉它了。
Now is a great time to introduce a new friend of the show who many of you will be familiar with, Claude.
Claude是Anthropic打造的人工智能助手,它已迅速成为我们制作Acquired节目的重要工具,也成为全球数百万人和企业的首选AI。
Claude is an AI assistant built by Anthropic, and it's quickly become an essential tool for us in creating acquired and the go to AI for millions of people and businesses around the world.
没错。
Yep.
我们很兴奋能与他们合作,因为Claude正是我们Acquired最热衷报道的那种突破性技术。
We're excited to be partnering with them because Claude represents exactly the kind of step change technology that we love covering here at Acquired.
这是一个从根本上改变人们工作方式的强大工具。
It's a powerful tool that fundamentally changes how people work.
我知道,本,你最近在一些承接的工作中使用了Claude。
I know, Ben, you have used Claude for some acquired work recently.
是的。
Yes.
所以听众们,我以前会在录制前一天花四个多小时,把所有日期从原始笔记中提取出来,做成表格放在脚本顶部供录制日使用。
So listeners, I used to take four plus hours the day before recording to take all the dates from my raw notes and put them in a table at the top of my script for recording day.
在劳力士那期节目中,我直接把原始笔记喂给Claude,问它能否帮我完成这个工作,效果惊人。
On the Rolex episode, I actually fed my raw notes into Claude and asked it if it could do that for me, which was amazing.
我只用了大约二十秒就整理出了那期节目最重要的100个日期。
I just got my most important 100 dates for the episode done in, like, twenty seconds.
你把这张表格发给了我。
You texted me this table.
这太棒了。
It was awesome.
是啊。
Yeah.
这让我省出了半天时间,转而专注于解释机械表的工作原理——我特别庆幸能把时间花在这上面而不是制表上。
That freed up an extra half day that I used instead to focus on explaining how a mechanical watch works, which I'm so glad I got to spend the time doing that instead of making the table.
完全同意。
Totally.
太酷了。
So cool.
其实我刚才还在和Claude聊天,为今年夏天晚些时候我们要合作的一个大项目头脑风暴,它的帮助简直不可思议。
I was actually just chatting with Claude to brainstorm ideas for something big that you and I are working on for later this summer, and it was insanely helpful.
听众们,请继续收听以了解详情。
Listeners, stay tuned to hear all about that.
是的。
Yes.
所以听众们,通过将Claude作为您的个人或企业AI助手,您将与优秀者为伍。
So listeners, by using Claude as your personal or business AI assistant, you'll be in great company.
像Salesforce、Figma、GitLab、Intercom和Coinbase这样的组织都在其产品中使用Claude。
Organizations like Salesforce, Figma, GitLab, Intercom, and Coinbase all use Claude in their products.
所以无论您是独自头脑风暴,还是与数千人的团队一起构建,Claude都能提供帮助。
So whether you are brainstorming alone or you're building with a team of thousands, Claude is here to help.
如果您、您的公司或投资组合公司想使用Claude,请前往claude.com。
And if you, your company, or your portfolio companies wanna use Claude, head on over to claude.com.
网址是claude.com,或者点击节目说明中的链接。
That's claude.com, or click the link in the show notes.
嗯,如果您想和我们一起讨论这期节目,您应该这么做。
Well, if, you wanna hang out with us and discuss this episode, you should do that.
我们都会在acquired.fm/slack上。
We will all be there at acquired.fm/slack.
如果您想更深入地了解这些话题,尤其是加密货币,您应该来看看LP Show。
And if you wanna go deeper behind these topics, especially crypto, you should come check out the LP Show.
它更深入、更极客,涵盖了许多新兴话题。
It is deeper, nerdier, and covers a lot of more up and coming topics.
节目包括对Roniel Runberg(Audius创始人)和Joseph Gordon Levitt(初创公司Hit Record创始人)等人的采访。
It includes interviews with people like Roniel Runberg, who have built Audius, Joseph Gordon Levitt on the startup Hit Record.
我们最近在LP节目中还做了些什么?
Who what else did we do on the LP show recently?
我们采访了来自Race Capital的一些Solana和FTX的早期投资人。
We talked with some of Solana and FTX's earlier investors from Race Capital.
这是我们最新的LP节目集。
That's our newest LP show episode.
你可以在任何播客平台搜索'acquired LP show'找到它,当然,如果你想比其他听众提前两周获得超级早鸟访问权限,并每隔一两个月和我们进行Zoom通话交流,也可以成为LP会员。
You can find that in any podcast player by searching acquired LP show, and, of course, become an LP if you wanna get super early access two weeks before everyone else and, talk with us on Zoom calls every month or two.
好的。
Alright.
如你所知,这些都不是投资建议。
As you know, none of this is investment advice.
自己去做研究。
Do your own research.
现在进入我们对布伦丹·艾克的采访环节。
And now on to our interview with Brendan Ike.
布伦丹·艾克,欢迎来到Acquired。
Brendan Ike, welcome to Acquired.
你好。
Hi.
谢谢邀请我。
Thanks for having me.
很高兴你能来。
Great to have you here.
我们长期以来一直是你们作品的忠实粉丝。
We've been big fans of your work for a long time.
从小就用Firefox,在那之前用的是Mozilla浏览器,再之前是Netscape。
Grew up using Firefox and the Mozilla browser before that, and Netscape before that.
天知道我每天都在生活的方方面面大量使用JavaScript。
And God knows I use plenty of JavaScript every day in all facets of my life.
所以如果没有你们这些年的工作,我的生活就不会是现在这样。
So my life would not be what it is without your work over the years.
当然,我们现在正在用Brave浏览器聊天。
And of course, we are talking on Brave right now.
那太好了。
That's great.
你使用JavaScript让我有T恤可穿。
Your JavaScript use keeps me in t shirts.
好吧,我们稍后会回顾导致Brave诞生的故事,但我想先听听你的说法。
Well, we're gonna go back and tell some of the story of what led to Brave, but I wanted to get it in your words first.
什么是Brave浏览器?
What is the Brave browser?
Brave之所以更快,是因为它屏蔽了所有追踪器,而谷歌、出版商或广告买家都依赖这些追踪器。
So Brave is a faster browser because it blocks all the trackers, many of which Google or its publishers or ad buyers depend on.
它基于Chromium开源代码,也就是Chrome浏览器。
And it's based on Chrome, the Chromium open source code.
如果你正在使用谷歌Chrome(据说市场份额高达70%甚至更多,26.5亿用户),你应该弃用Chrome,改用Brave。
So if you're using Google Chrome, which kind of swept the market up to 70%, let's say, or more of market share, 2,650,000,000 users, they say, you should get off Chrome and you should use Brave.
我们试图打造一个易于转换使用,同时更能保护隐私的产品。
We tried to make something that's easy to switch to, but that's much more protective of your privacy.
这是我们持续投入的承诺,因为这需要大量的研发工作。
And this is an ongoing commitment on our part because it requires a lot of research and development.
这需要对抗新出现的各种追踪和指纹识别技术。
It requires fighting new kinds of tracking and fingerprinting that emerge.
这也涉及我们最初讨论并在比特币中实现原型的概念。
It also involves something we talked about from the beginning and we prototyped in Bitcoin.
这就是基础注意力代币系统——用户可选择参与匿名隐私广告,获得70%的广告收益,并直接通过BAT支持内容创作者。
And that's the basic attention token system for users who choose to participating in private ads that are anonymous, but that pay them 70% of the revenue and that let them support their creators directly through the basic attention token.
我们之所以这样做,是因为虽然隐私保护对每个用户都正当且必要,但我们看到这会损害出版商目前依赖的广告技术体系。
And that was something we wanted to do because we saw the privacy protection, which is I think every user is right and good and necessary as nevertheless harmful to the current system of ad tech that publishers do depend on.
因此我们想为用户提供不侵犯隐私的选择,让他们能参与资助创作者。
So we wanted to get our users an option that wasn't privacy invading, let them participate in funding creators.
如果你不想要隐私广告,仍然可以直接用钱包资助创作者。
And if you don't want the private ads, you can still fund creators out of your own wallet.
这个功能也是我们想要的。
We wanted that feature too.
所以这其实是个三边系统,因此我们采用等边三角形作为BAT(基础注意力代币)的标识。
So it's kind of a three sided system, which is why we use the equilateral triangle for the BAT, basic attention token logo.
我们正尝试灵活地连接用户、广告主和创作者这三方。
We're trying to connect users, advertisers, and creators flexibly along all three legs of the triangle.
不喜欢广告的用户可以关闭隐私广告功能。
Users who don't like ads can turn off the private ads.
想要从私人广告中获利的用户可以选择全部返还收益。
Users who want to earn from the private ads can then give it all back.
有些用户选择赚取并保留收益。
Some users just earn and keep it.
这也是他们的权利。
That's their right too.
Brave解决的核心问题是追踪广告和隐私侵犯问题,因为它会带来各种不良影响(我可以详细说明),用户能立刻感受到这些影响。
The problem that Brave solves is the tracking ads, the privacy invasion, because it has all sorts of bad effects I can get into, and users feel it right away.
他们感到页面杂乱无章。
They feel the clutter.
他们感到广告令人烦躁。
They feel the annoyance.
他们感受到页面加载延迟。
They feel the page load delay.
有时移动端页面甚至根本无法加载。
Sometimes the mobile pages never load.
页面加载问题还伴随着其他连锁反应:过多的广告脚本和程序化广告的瀑布流(这些广告在多个第三方之间层层传递后才能展示)会导致电池过度耗电和数据流量超额使用。
And there's sort of correlates of the page load problem, which are too much battery use and too much data plan used by all the ad scripts and the waterfall of programmatic advertising that daisy chains from hidden third party to hidden third party before an ad can show up.
我们用Brave屏蔽了所有这些干扰。
We block all that with Brave.
但一旦使用Brave,就会进入一个以用户为中心的全新经济体系。
But once you're in Brave, there's a whole new world of economics that's user centric.
这才是Brave真正的革命性理念。
And this is the really big idea of Brave.
这是一个以用户为先的平台,因此其构建始于您设备上的浏览器向外延伸。
It's a user first platform, and therefore, it's built from your browser on your device out.
这就是您所有数据流的源头,无一例外。
That's where all your data feeds originate, all of them.
不仅仅是谷歌通过其搜索引擎或遍布网络的众多追踪器所看到的部分。
Not just the ones Google sees through its search engine or its many trackers around the web.
我认为您在创立Brave时的重要洞见是:全部或几乎全部用户活动都源于用户与浏览器之间的交互。
I think it was an important realization that you had when starting Brave that all or virtually all activity stems from interacting between a user and a browser.
这很大程度上要归因于网页应用的大幅崛起,遗憾的是,这损害了运行在桌面操作系统上的原生应用。
And that is because of the tremendous rise of web apps in large part, unfortunately, to the detriment of native apps that run on a desktop operating system.
但这一现象得以实现,是因为围绕JavaScript构建的生态系统。
But that is enabled because of the ecosystem that was built around JavaScript.
另一方面,整个广告追踪和数字广告生态系统同样建立在JavaScript之上。
On the other side of things, the entire advertising and ad tracking and digital advertising ecosystem also is built on JavaScript.
因此我认为,您多年来构建的一切以及选择在职业生涯当前阶段以这种方式解决问题,构成了一个令人难以置信的发展轨迹。
And so I think there's an unbelievable arc to everything that you've built over the years in deciding to approach this problem the way that you have now at this point in your career.
不。
No.
我曾参与过网景的一个项目,该项目让浏览器走向大众市场。
I was part of a project at Netscape that made the browser mass market.
它使浏览器在商业上变得安全可靠。
It made it commercially safe.
在网景之前,人们无法放心让信用卡号码通过网络传输。
Before Netscape, there wasn't a way to trust your credit card number flying across the wire.
网景公司开发了所谓的‘安全套接层’技术。
Netscape did so called secure sockets layer.
是的。
Yeah.
SSL。
SSL.
因此网景致力于让网络更安全,便于电子商务发展,并提升用户访问网站的体验。
So Netscape was working on making the web safe for ecommerce and useful for the site you went to.
我们当时没有考虑到第三方的问题,早在我加入之前,浏览器就已经支持图片嵌入了。
We didn't think about the third party problem, and that's where even before I joined, there was a way to embed images in the browser.
这个功能其实早在1993年的Mosaic浏览器中就实现了。
That was actually in Mosaic in 1993.
到了1994年,网景1.0浏览器引入了cookie机制,允许网站将少量数据存储在用户浏览器中。
And then in 1994, Netscape one, there was the cookie which let people associate a bit of storage in the browser with their site.
这不仅适用于你访问的银行或游戏网站,也适用于网页中嵌入的每一张图片。
And that applied not only to the banker or, you know, game site you were visiting, it also applied to every one of those images.
这就形成了追踪途径——图片服务器可以通过cookie追踪用户,因为每个嵌有该图片的网站都会向浏览器发送这个cookie。
And that created a tracking vector because the image server could be keeping track of you through a cookie that gets bounced into the browser from each site the image is embedded in.
这就是为什么在广告技术领域,你至今仍能听到用‘像素’来指代追踪元素。
And that's why you still hear the term pixel used in ad tech for a tracking element.
虽然现在可能是隐形脚本,但最初那只是个1x1像素的透明小图片。
Even though it can be an invisible script now, it used to be a one by one little transparent image.
你是什么时候意识到这是个问题的?
When did you start to realize that this was a problem?
所以我认为即使在1996年,我们网景公司的卢·蒙特利埃等人发明了cookie时,就有人担心它会被用于第三方追踪或可能被滥用,但书已出瓶。
So I think even in 1996, some of us Lou Montoulier at Netscape did the cookie and there was a concern that it was being used for third party tracking or could be used, but the Genie was out of the bottle.
关于网络的特点是,马克·安德森曾告诉我,即使在他们看来,可能只有80 degrees Fahrenheit,
And the thing about the web is, Marc Andreessen said this to me, even when they were doing Mosaic and there were only like 80 servers hosting content they cared about not breaking, they would just keep backwards compatibility in all the quirks of Eric being his HTML parser and even precursor, progenitor HTML processors, older browsers, because the content wouldn't work properly.
因此网络上有这种强大的翻译助手。
So there's this strong evolutionary force, this gradient forcing compatibility on the web.
这是计算机科学领域,尤其是编程语言方面许多人深恶痛绝的一点,因为这意味着除了极其缓慢地推进或通过可下载的新运行时环境外,你根本无法做出不兼容的更改。
This is something a lot of people in computer science, especially programming languages, just hate because it means you really can't make incompatible changes except very slowly or through new runtimes that you can download.
但JavaScript是当时唯一能实现这类运行时的机会。
But JavaScript was the only bite at the apple for that kind of runtime.
Java失败了,Flash最终也失败了。
Java failed and Flash eventually failed.
但在九十年代,我们忙于优化第一方体验,无暇顾及打破网络限制。
But in the nineties, we were too busy making the first party experience good, and we couldn't break the web.
所以尽管Lou Montoulli想开发Twinkies,我总觉得这能解决他面临的几个问题。
So even though Lou Montoulli wanted to do Twinkies, and somehow I think they were gonna solve several problems he wanted to solve.
这是cookie的进化版吗?
That's an evolution of cookies?
更大,存储空间更多。
Bigger, more storage.
我记得九十年代的cookie只有1024字节左右,非常小。
I think cookies were only 1,024 bytes or something teeny in the nineties.
而且我认为他最初只想为第一方网站使用它们。
And I think he wanted to do them only for first party sites.
我不认为这会彻底终结第三方追踪使用的cookies。
I don't think this would have killed cookies for third party tracking.
我记不清细节了,因为他老板说了不行。
I forget the details because his boss said, no.
不能再有了。
No more.
不能再有饼干、Twinkies或ding dongs了。
No more cookies or Twinkies or ding dongs.
而我们一直停留在cookie这个话题上。
And we stayed at the cookie.
到九十年代末,你仍然能在网络档案中找到它们。
And by late nineties, you can still find them in the web archive.
有些网站绘制了追踪技术发展的图表,展示了追踪的兴起。
There were sites diagramming tracking, the rise of tracking.
谷歌在2008年收购的那家公司DoubleClick,是的。
The company that Google acquired as DoubleClick in 2008 Yeah.
它在1999年就开始运营了。
Was operating in '99.
我记得它开发了Dart广告服务器。
And I think it made the Dart ad server.
我想追溯到你职业生涯的最初阶段。
Well, I wanna go way back to the beginning of your career.
甚至在Netscape和JavaScript之前,你加入了硅谷图形公司。
Even Netscape, before JavaScript, you joined Silicon Graphics.
我想那就是SGI,人们这么称呼它。
And I think that's or SGI, as it's called.
我们在多期节目中讨论过SGI这个令人难以置信的顶尖人才聚集地。
And we've talked on many episodes about the unbelievable, incredible talent nexus that was SGI.
你加入时是否知道那里是人才中心,后来成就了那么多事业?
Did you know when you were joining that that was the center of talent that would go on to do so many things?
是的。
Yes.
我当时是UIUC的研究生,这所学校可能至今仍是全美计算机科学前五强,位于伊利诺伊州中部,而我并不打算攻读博士学位。
So I was a grad student at UIUC, which was may still be top five CS school in the country out in the middle of Illinois, and I was not gonna do a PhD.
后来我意识到我们的研究团队被IBM接管了,在我看来这是奇耻大辱,但教授们无力反抗。
At some point, I realized that our research team had been hijacked by IBM, and this was a great disgrace in my view, but the professors couldn't fight back.
我们成了IBM某个失败项目的质检团队——他们试图将基于摩托罗拉68000的小型笔记本电脑改造成Unix工作站,因为当时Unix工作站非常火爆。
And we became sort of a QA team for IBM's failed attempt to get a little laptop computers, Motorola 68,000 based computer they developed, you know, repackage as a workstation, a Unix workstation because Unix workstations were super hot.
猜猜谁来过UIUC做演讲?
Well, guess who came by UIUC to give a talk?
是硅图公司的吉姆·克拉克,讲他们用VLSI三维图形技术开发Unix工作站。
Jim Clark about Silicon Graphics, doing Unix workstations with VLSI three d graphics.
这就是整个公司的业务。
That was the whole company.
我几乎当场就决定:我要为吉姆工作。
And I almost right away said, I'm gonna work for Jim.
我还参加过Sun公司的面试。
I interviewed at Sun.
我对编程语言很感兴趣,所以参加了编译器团队的面试。
I I was interested in programming language, so I interviewed on the compiler team.
我当时经验不足,他们没录用我。
I wasn't experienced enough for them to hire.
我挺喜欢那位经理,Steve Mutchnik。
I liked the manager, Steve Mutchnik.
我短暂见过埃里克·施密特。
I met Eric Schmidt briefly.
他当时是Sun公司的软件总监。
He was, like, director of software at the time at Sun.
后来我面试了SGI,签了合同,一切都很顺利。
Then I interviewed SGI and I signed on the bottom line and it was great.
SGI当时非常热门。
SGI was super hot.
我加入后不久公司就上市了。
It IPO ed after I joined.
长期以来它都拥有最好的图形技术,但最终从VLSI缩小到GPU,现在又变成片上系统。
It for a long time had the best graphics, but that eventually got shrunk from VLSI to, you know, GPU and now the system on a chip.
到92年时,公司变得庞大且部门林立,我说我需要尝试些新东西。
And by '92, it had gotten big and divisional, and I said I've gotta get some more experience doing other things.
所以我离开了。
So I I left.
我有点厌倦了。
I was kind of bored.
这是政治性的,也是部门间的。
It was political and divisional.
这是在吉姆离开之前还是之后?
Was this before or after Jim left?
我想是在之前,因为吉姆很早就意识到自己不是CEO。
It was before I think because early on Jim realized he wasn't CEO.
所以当时是埃德·麦克拉肯在运营,吉姆则在董事会。
So Ed McCracken was running it and Jim was on the board.
但我认为由于股权稀释,吉姆作为创始人一度难以像往常那样保持控制权。
But I think at some point Jim had trouble as founder keeping control as usual with due to dilution.
因此到了94年,吉姆开始创办网景公司,并与马克·安德森合作。
And so by '94, Jim was starting Netscape and paired with Marc Andreessen.
我知道这件事是因为我所有SGI的朋友。
And I knew about that because all my SGI friends.
而且SGI负责了《侏罗纪公园》的图形制作。
And SGI did the graphics for Jurassic Park.
对吧?
Right?
《侏罗纪公园》。
Jurassic Park.
这个我知道。
I know this.
这是个Unix系统。
This is a Unix system.
而且他们看的不是命令行。
And and they're not looking at a command line.
他们看的是SGI文件系统可视化工具。
They're looking at the SGI file system visualizer.
但我感到无聊就离开了。
But I got bored and I left.
而SGI变得庞大且有点乏味。
And SGI got big and kind of boring.
当我听说克拉克在做网景时,我理解了他为什么离开。
And I could see why Clark left when I heard he was doing Netscape.
好的。
Okay.
那你是怎么找到去网景的路的?
So how did you find your way to Netscape then?
我在SGI的一个朋友——从IBM团队过来的杰夫·温斯坦——比我先去了一家叫MicroUnity的公司。
So a friend from SGI who'd come in from a team at IBM, Jeff Weinstein, had gone ahead of me to a company called MicroUnity.
MicroUnity你可能没听说过,但它有很多专利,并且从二十年前到大概十年前一直在成功打专利官司。
And MicroUnity, you probably haven't heard of, but it's got a lot of patents, and it successfully litigated them from twenty years ago to maybe ten years ago.
我记不清他们什么时候偃旗息鼓的。
I forget when they ran out of steam.
我觉得它就是靠起诉所有人赚了大钱。
I think it just made a ton of money off suing everybody.
IBM、摩托罗拉、高通、博通,所有人。
IBM, Motorola, Qualcomm, Broadcom, everybody.
因为MicroUnity想开发一款软件可编程的机顶盒。
Because MicroUnity wanted to create a software programmable set top box.
关于MicroUnity,我实际上只了解一件事。
And there's only one thing that I actually knew about MicroUnity coming into this.
MicroUnity的首席架构师是否就是曾在MIPS和NeXT与史蒂夫·乔布斯共事的那个人?
Was it the chief architect at MicroUnity the same person as, both MIPS and NeXT with Steve Jobs?
克雷格·汉森可能在NeXT工作过。
Craig Hanson might have been at NeXT.
对。
Yeah.
现在你提醒我了。
Now you remind me.
克雷格确实在MIPS工作过。
Craig definitely was at MIPS.
他设计了浮点运算单元,就是MIPS的浮点运算单元。
He did the floating point unit, the MIPS floating point unit.
所以他当时是MicroUnity的总体架构师。
So he was the full architect at MicroUnity.
MicroUnity对我来说就像是实用的研究生院,因为它最终没有取得什么成果。
So MicroUnity was like practical grad school for me because it didn't go anywhere.
它的目标太过宏大了。
It was way too ambitious.
对吧?
Right?
准确来说,它是在研发一种新型芯片,采用新的半导体工艺,将模拟和数字功能集成在同一块芯片上。
It was doing a new chip, new semiconductor process, new chip, do analog and digital on the same chip, I should say.
除了通过软件实现的射频前端下变频基带处理外,它基本上包揽了所有功能。
It was doing basically everything except the radio front end that mixes down the baseband, it was doing in software.
随着时间的推移,这些设想都逐一实现了,但若试图同时完成所有目标,就会遭遇乘法原理的困境,成功概率将骤降至十亿分之一甚至百亿分之一。
So all this stuff has come true over time, but trying to do all at once, you just run into the multiplication principle and your odds of success go to one in a billion or 10,000,000,000.
他们本可以用晶圆厂生产静态随机存储器,但我觉得那太乏味了。
And they could have used the fab to make SRAMs, but I think it was too boring.
我认为穆斯确实胸怀大志。
I think Moose was really ambitious.
雄心勃勃。
Ambitious.
他想要改变世界。
He wanted to change the world.
在某种程度上,他想成为新一代的霍华德·休斯。
He wanted to be the new Howard Hughes in some ways.
他确实通过专利赚了不少钱。
He did make a lot of money off the patents.
好的。
Okay.
那么是有一大群人离开去了网景公司,还是你自己单独行动的?
So did a big crew of those folks leave to go to Netscape, or was that you on your own?
其实是杰夫·温斯坦和我同一周内先后跳槽到网景的。
Well, it was Jeff Weinstein and I jumped to Netscape within the same week.
我们还年轻且天真。
We're still young and naive.
我们本该创办一家公司然后卖掉它。
We should have made a company and sold it.
我们本可以获得四倍的期权。
We would have gotten four times the options.
就在我们到达时,我们看到其他团队也在这么做,但他们没我们优秀。
Just as we arrived, we saw some other teams doing that, and they weren't as good.
但我不能抱怨。
But I can't complain.
我是说,当你刚进入这些系统时,总是不太清楚公司的具体情况。
Mean, was always the case when you're coming into these systems that you don't know exactly what's going on with the company.
但我是1995年4月3日到那里的,而IPO是在8月的某个时候。
But I got there in April 1995 on April 3, think, and the IPO was sometime in August.
所以,你知道,那就像一枚巨大的火箭。
So, you know, it was a huge rocket.
对我来说这有点离谱,因为在八十年代,SGI必须连续三个季度盈利才能IPO,而网景仅凭未来预期和市盈率就上市了。
And it was to me a little bit scandalous because in the eighties, SGI had to have three profitable quarters before it could IPO, whereas Netscape just went on forward speculation and forward multiples.
它当时并不盈利,但这就是九十年代,这一切由此开始。
And it was not profitable, but that was the nineties, and that started it all.
但那里确实有实际收入。
But there was real revenue there.
嗯,浏览器在商业场景中是收费的。
Well, so the browser was charged for in commercial settings.
网景公司利用IPO资金收购了一系列服务器端公司和项目,包括密歇根大学的LDAP团队(Tim Howes及其团队)、Kiva应用服务器、多项Java投资,甚至开始构建名为Electrical Fire的Java即时编译运行时,意图与Sun公司收购Anamorphic后开发的Hotspot一较高下。
And Netscape used the IPO to buy a bunch of server side companies and projects, the LDAP team from University of Michigan, Tim Howes and company, the Kiva app server, a bunch of Java investments, even started building a Java jitting runtime to rival Hotspot, which Sun had bought Anamorphic to build.
网景的版本名为'电火',由MIT天才Watermore Horwat主导开发。
The Netscape version was called Electrical Fire, and it was being developed by this super brain from MIT, Watermore Horwat.
但网景最终未能成功,Sun公司的Hotspot赢得了这场竞争。
But Netscape couldn't pull it off, and Sun was gonna win with Hotspot.
于是在97年底我接手了沃尔玛的JavaScript项目,并在标准化JavaScript后创立了mozilla.org。
So I rescued Walmart to take over JavaScript in late ninety seven, and I went off to found mozilla.org after I'd standardized JavaScript.
后来美国在线收购了网景公司。
So AOL comes in and buy Netscape.
你刚才提到的那些人,大部分都去了Loud Cloud。
All those guys you just mentioned, most of them, they go to Loud Cloud.
你朝着Mozilla的方向前进。
You go in the Mozilla direction.
是啊。
Yeah.
我的简历真的很短,而且我倾向于坚持做某些事情。
My CV is really short, and I tend to stick with things.
而当时浏览器还没有完成。
And the thing was the browser was not done yet.
微软通过捆绑IE简单地扼杀了Netscape,而IE是微软通过SpyGlass复制并某种程度上收购部分技术而来的。
Microsoft had simply killed Netscape by bundling IE, which it copied and sort of acquired pieces of through SpyGlass.
那个
Which
买了Mosaic。
bought Mosaic.
它就这样不断迭代发展着。
And it sort of kept iterating like it does.
所以第一个版本并不真实,第二个版本有点像玩笑。
So the first version was not real and the second version was kind of a joke.
而第三个版本开始告诉你它能达到什么程度。
And the third version was starting to tell you where it could get to.
第四个版本在Windows上表现相当不错,几乎仅限于Windows。
And the fourth version was quite good on Windows, pretty much only on Windows.
与此同时,他们将其与Windows 95和98捆绑销售,后来在美国诉微软案中因此被定罪——因为通过实力或与IBM达成的独家协议垄断市场并不违法。
And meanwhile, they were bundling it with Windows 95 and then 98, and they got convicted in the USU Microsoft case for this because it's not illegal to acquire monopoly through, let's say, merit or a sweetheart deal with IBM to be the OS for the PC.
我不明白IBM为什么要把那个给微软。
I don't know why IBM gave Microsoft that.
这有点可疑。
It's a little suspect.
不过无所谓了。
But whatever.
他们垄断了Windows系统,但将浏览器与之捆绑,并威胁康柏若将网景设为默认浏览器就撤销其Windows授权——这些行为是违法的,他们也因此被定罪。
They had the Windows monopoly, but what they did in tying the browser to it and threatening Compaq with revocation of the Windows license if Compaq shipped Netscape as the default browser was illegal and they got convicted for it.
但为时已晚,网景已无力回天。
But it was too late to save Netscape.
然而包括马克、埃里克·洪等几位高管仍想通过开源来挽救些什么。
And yet a few executives, Mark and Eric Hong and others, wanted to save something through open source.
Linux形式的商业开源已经兴起,红帽公司也已投入运营。
Commercial open source in the form of Linux was up and Red Hat was up and running.
人们对利用网景的残余资源开展商业开源项目的想法感到兴奋,至少在浏览器团队中是这样。
People were excited about the idea of doing a commercial open source project out of the remains of Netscape, at least in the browser team.
杰米·齐林斯基在定义层面和精神层面以及作为社区管理者引领了这个项目。
So Jamie Zielinski kind of led it definitionally and spiritually and as the community manager.
我负责技术方面,我们有一批IT人员和几位工具开发人员,他们帮助我们构建了如今被视为理所当然或已成为GitHub标准的功能。
And I did the tech side, and we had a bunch of IT people and a couple of tools people who helped us build things that are now taken for granted or now standard on GitHub.
我们意识到这种惊人的协同效应:在服务器端使用动态语言生成HTML,再用JavaScript实现自动化。
And we realized there was this amazing synergy doing something like a dynamic language on the server to generate HTML that has JavaScript automating it.
所有这些以全栈方式实现的功能都非常流畅。
All that stuff was super slick to do in sort of a full stack way.
这大概是在1996年。
And this was in, like, '96.
它预示了后来DHTML和Ajax的所有发展。
It prefigured everything that came after in DHTML and Ajax.
这确实相当酷——
It was pretty cool that
你们当时是在开源环境下做这些的。
you guys were doing this in open source.
对吧?
Right?
是的。
Yeah.
我的意思是,最初网景是闭源的。
I mean, initially, Netscape was closed.
当我们开源时,我们直接扔出了一个压缩包。
When we opened it up, we threw this tarball out there.
但随着我们不断完善这些工具,情况逐渐好转。
But as we worked on these tools, it got better.
我们无法说服邮件新闻团队参与进来。
We couldn't drag the mail news team out.
他们在邮件新闻方面一直把网景搞得一团糟,而且他们不喜欢开源。
They'd been sort of messing up Netscape for mail news, and they they didn't like open source.
但最终,所有代码都被重写和重构了。
But eventually, it all got rewritten and redone.
我们甚至用当时风靡一时的XML创建了一个便携式前端堆栈。
We even created a portable front end stack using XML, which was all the rage then.
我们根据《捉鬼敢死队》给XUL起了这个名字。
We called our XUL XUL after Ghostbusters.
这后来成为了为Firefox编写原始浏览器插件的方式,推测在那之前也是Mozilla浏览器的方式。
Which became the way that you would write the original browser plugins for Firefox and presumably the Mozilla browser before that.
是的。
Yes.
而Mozilla套件基本上可以说是'非网景版'的代码——用'非谷歌化'来类比的话,就是网景代码的'非网景版本'。
And the Mozilla Suite was pretty much the un Netscape to use ungoogled as an analogy, the un Netscape version of the code.
这实际上开始赢得用户,因为美国在线收购了网景后,开始在网景上挂满ICQ按钮、AIM按钮之类的东西。
And this actually started winning users because AOL bought Netscape and started festooning Netscape with ICQ buttons and AIM buttons and things like that.
是啊。
Yeah.
就像我现在要新建会议准备添加Zoom邀请时,谷歌就会跳出来说等等等等。
It's like when I go in to make a new meeting now and I'm about to add a Zoom invite, but Google's like, wait, wait, wait.
你难道不是指Google Meet吗?
Don't you mean Google Meet?
然后你就会说,这才不是我使用你们工具的原因。
And then you're like, not that's not why I'm using your tools.
不。
No.
我不是这个意思。
Not what I mean.
好吧。
Okay.
所以现在你只能靠自己用Mozilla了。
So we're now at this point where you're on your own with Mozilla.
你把网景的代码都拿出来了。
You've taken the code out of Netscape.
现在是开源开发的。
It's being developed in the open.
Firefox曾经一度占据了浏览器市场超过四分之一的份额。
Firefox at some point became, gosh, over a quarter of the browser market share.
那么它是如何从最初发展起来的呢?
So how did it evolve from, hey.
我们要把微软非法扼杀的浏览器开源版本改造成能为浏览器生态系统注入新活力的东西吗?
We're gonna take an open source version of the browser that Microsoft illegally killed and turn into this thing that sort of breathe new life into the browser ecosystem?
我们和埃里克·哈恩、马可都有这个想法:应该有个逃生舱保存着浏览器代码。
We had this idea, and Eric Hahn and Marco had this idea that there would be an escape pod containing the browser code.
它可能会降落在塔图因星球上,然后信息得以传递,未来某天一切会卷土重来。
It would somehow, you know, land on Tatooine and and and the message would get through and and things would come back later.
但当时没人知道具体该怎么做。
But no one knew how.
自1998年起硅谷的普遍认知是:浏览器战争已经结束了。
And conventional wisdom from 1998 on in the valley was, oh, the browser's done.
IE将永远主宰市场。
IE is it forever.
放弃吧。
Give up.
就像几年前或现在大家对Chrome的认知一样。
Just like today or or a couple years ago with Chrome.
对吧?
Right?
历史总是循环往复。
It goes in cycles.
但我们也背负着Mozilla套件这个累赘,就像我说的,九十年代流行各种套件。
But we also had this sort of boat anchor of the Mozilla Suite because like I said, the nineties had a lot of suites.
网景公司在96年犯了个错误,他们收购公司想对抗Lotus Notes,结果失败了。
Think Netscape made a mistake in '96 when they bought a company to go after Lotus Notes because it didn't work.
他们接手了Netscape 2和3版本的邮件阅读器与新闻阅读器,我之前提到的杰米和特里·韦斯曼曾参与开发,在极短时间内就做出了相当出色的成果。
And they took the Netscape two and three mail reader and news reader, which Jamie and Terry Weissman who I've mentioned worked on and did a pretty good job on in very short time.
然后他们将其抛弃——或者说基本抛弃了大部分功能,转而开发了一个仅限Windows平台的群件版本,这个版本不仅延期,还拖累了整个Netscape 4的开发进度。
And they threw it away or kind of threw most of it away and did a Windows only groupware sort of version that was late and delayed all of Netscape four.
这造成了严重伤害,而且这些人本身也不愿意参与开源项目。
And that really hurt, and they were the people who didn't want to do open source either.
但这并没有挽救Netscape。
But that did not help Netscape.
它没能击败Lotus Notes。
It did not take down Lotus Notes.
Mozilla团队不得不思考:我们是要开发套件软件吗?
And Mozilla had to figure out, are we doing a suite?
我们真要背负这个九十年代套件软件的沉重包袱吗?
Do we want this albatross of nineties suiteware?
这花费了不少时间,因为正如我所说,我们初期资金严重不足。
And it took a while, because like I said, we were underfunded at first.
事实上,当AOL吞并Netscape时——最初这并购就像保持距离的君子协议——他们开始质疑自己收购的动机和意义。
And in fact, as AOL ingested Netscape, which at first didn't involve any digestive enzymes, it was like arm's length, they started wondering what they bought and why.
因此在最初两年(1999到2000年),Netscape部门的负责人被撤换了。
And so for the first two years, I think '99 and 2000, the head of Netscape division was decapitated.
我欣赏的一位好人——就是之前提到的那位——接替了职位,但这对Mozilla来说并非转机。
And somebody I liked, the nice guy I mentioned, took their place, but it didn't go well for Mozilla.
这意味着Mozilla被视为敌人,因为最初大部分员工都是代码贡献者出身。
It meant Mozilla was considered the enemy because most of the employees initially were the contributors.
那时很难找到外部贡献者。
And it was rare to find outside contributors.
克里斯·布利泽德(Chris Blizzard)在红帽公司时就是一位贡献者。
Chris Blizzard at Red Hat was a contributor.
我们鼓励开源社区,尤其是Linux社区的人们参与代码贡献,提交补丁或获取CVS提交权限。
We encourage people at in open source, especially in Linux to work on the code and send, you know, patches or get CVS commit rights.
我们尝试过发放这些权限。
We tried to give those away.
早期的主要工作是努力建立一个主要由志愿者组成的社区,以平衡当时并非全都顶尖的网景员工。
So a lot of the job in the early days was trying to build up the mostly volunteer community to countervail the Netscape employees who were not all top notch at that point.
一年后,情况没有太大变化,杰米说:'我放弃了。'
And after a year, nothing much changed and Jamie said, I give up.
我认为这是一次失败。
I consider it a failure.
他写了一篇文章,你现在还能找到。
He wrote an essay you can still find.
展开剩余字幕(还有 480 条)
所以他辞职了,但我们继续前进。
So he quit, but we kept going.
尽管我们必须成为这个套件的基础,因为我们移除了ICQ和AIM按钮,但Mozilla还是流行起来了。
And even though we had to be the basis for this suite, because we stripped out the ICQ and AIM buttons, Mozilla got popular.
我们发布二进制版本,因为我们想要测试者。
We were doing releases, binaries, because we wanted testers.
这也是一个重大转变。
That was a big change too.
许多开源项目说,代码就在那里。
A lot of open source projects said, there's the code.
你自己构建吧。
Build it yourself.
没错。
Right.
当然,这意味着99%可能使用该软件的人会立即被排除在外,因为他们不会——是的。
Which, of course, like, 99 of people who could use the software are immediately out right away because they're not gonna Yes.
是的。
Yes.
在他们的本地机器上编译。
Compile on their local machines.
当然,一旦你构建并发布软件,就会遇到那些连互联网哪头是哪头都分不清的用户。
And, of course, once you build the software and release it, you're getting people who don't know which end of the Internet is which.
但他们提供了很好的反馈,从核心用户或真正懂软件的黑客,到可以说网络精通但经验较少的人,再到分不清搜索引擎和浏览器的普通用户,整个用户群体就像洋葱的多层结构。
But they give you good feedback and there's a whole sort of layers of the onion from your lead users or your actual hackers who do know software out to, let's say, web savvy but less experienced folks out to the average people who don't know the difference between a search engine and a browser.
因此我们甚至在Firefox之前就开始以某种方式发展Mozilla,我认为这让网景公司感到羞愧和威胁。
And so we started growing Mozilla even before Firefox in a way that I think kind of shamed and threatened Netscape.
但网景公司当时也正经历着每年一次的高层大换血。
But Netscape was also getting these annual decapitations.
所以到2003年,我们通过IBM的朋友得知网景部门即将被关闭。
And so by 2003, we learned through our IBM friends that there was gonna be curtains for the Netscape division.
由于巨大的运气,莲花公司创始人米奇·卡普尔(他本人领教过微软的手段)与美国在线高管泰德·莱昂西斯是朋友。
And through an enormous stroke of luck, Mitch Kapor, who founded Lotus 01/23 and has his own experience with Microsoft's tricks was friends with Ted Leonsis, one of the AOL executives.
泰德是个好人,不懂技术,拥有我们曾有的资本。
Ted's a very nice guy, not technical, owns the capitals we did.
没错。
Right.
我想他是另一支运动队的。
He's another sports team, I think.
他们在首届D会议上偶遇了,对吧,沃尔特·莫斯伯格。
And they ran into each other at the very first d conference, right, Walt Mossberg.
对吧?
Right?
哦,哇。
Oh, wow.
泰德说,嘿,米奇。
And Ted said, hey, Mitch.
我有个东西,摩苏尔。
I've got this thing, Mosul.
我不知道该怎么处理。
I don't know what to do with.
结果米奇当时正在搞一个叫开源应用基金会的东西。
And it turned out Mitch was doing something called the Open Source Application Foundation.
他还雇了米切尔·贝克——她在2000年网景裁员时被秘密解雇,我直说吧,就因为管理层不喜欢Mozilla。
And he had hired Mitchell Baker who had been fired undercover of a layoff, I'll say it, in 2000 by Netscape management because they didn't like Mozilla.
那是他们的眼中钉。
It was a thorn in their side.
也许米切尔就是。
Maybe Mitchell was.
米切尔太贵了。
Mitchell was expensive.
所以他们进行了裁员,米切尔突然就不在了。
So they had a layoff and suddenly Mitchell was gone.
我打电话问,是你辞职了吗?
And I was on the phone saying, did you quit?
她说,不是。
And she said, no.
这不是我的选择。
This was not my choice.
然而,第二周在马佐拉社区电话会议上,米切尔却担任了治理领导,负责技术领导工作。
And yet, the next week on the Mazola community call, there was Mitchell doing the governance leadership, why the tech leadership.
所以,试图摆脱它的网景管理层此时气得咬牙切齿。
So, the Netscape management that tried to get rid of it were grinding their teeth at this point.
他们无法扼杀Mozilla。
They couldn't kill Mozilla.
他们无法斩首它,就像网景部门每年都被砍掉脑袋一样。
They couldn't decapitate it as the Netscape division had its head taken off annually.
但当我们得知AOL要关闭网景时,泰德值得称赞地询问了米奇该怎么办。
But when we learned AOL was gonna shut down Netscape, Ted, to his credit, asked Mitch what to do.
而米奇雇佣了米切尔·贝克,她从成立后大约八个月起担任Mozilla经理,直到被解雇。
And Mitch had hired Mitchell Baker, who'd been the Mozilla manager from about eight months into the founding up till she was laid off.
这真是巨大的,你知道,好运气,因为米奇随后告诉泰德该怎么做,尽管AL公司有个副总裁一直冷嘲热讽——这个人大家都不喜欢,他总想落井下石——但泰德还是做了正确决定,给了我们200万美元分两年拨付,用于启动Mozilla项目。
And that was just huge, you know, good fortune because Mitch then told Ted what to do and in spite of some sniping by a VP at AL nobody liked who really wanted to stick the knife in and twist it, Ted did the right thing and gave us 2,000,000 over two years to spin out the Mozilla project.
而且我认为米切尔想以非营利形式运作这个项目。
And I think Mitchell wanted to do it as a nonprofit.
他们认为这样做有很好的基础。
They thought there'd be some good basis for that.
米奇本人,我不想搞风险投资,也不想做成商业项目。
Mitch himself, I didn't wanna do VC funding and didn't wanna do a commercial thing.
我只是想尽力保住这些代码的活力。
I just went along to try to keep the code alive.
我们在二月份就知道该怎么做了,因为Firefox其实早在2001年就启动了,你可能都想不到。
And we knew what to do in February because Firefox had already started in 2001, if you can believe it.
但到2002年时它被命名为Phoenix。
But it became known as Phoenix by 2002.
而Firefox是从零开始完全重建的。
And Firefox was completely rebuilt from the ground up.
对吧?
Right?
它是基于我之前提到的ZUL工作成果,戴夫·海亚特等人开发了这个可编程前端栈,看起来就像网页一样。
Well, it was based on the ZUL work that I mentioned that Dave Hyatt and others had done to make a programmable front end stack on what looks like the web.
用的是XML、JavaScript和CSS。
It's XML and JavaScript and CSS.
自定义工具栏,甚至包括当时Mac OS的原生菜单栏,所有这些都能通过XML实现集成。
Custom toolbars, even menu the native menu bar on the Mac OS at the time, all that could be integrated through XML.
它是声明式的。
It was declarative.
经过足够努力后,它的速度足够快。
It was fast enough with enough work.
它允许所有这些扩展。
It allowed all these extensions.
你提到我们称它们为附加组件。
You mentioned we called them add ons.
那是最早的浏览器扩展生态系统,远早于Chrome的。
That was the first browser extension ecosystem way ahead of Chrome's.
而Firefox就是这样构建起来的。
And it was the way Firefox got built.
因为当我们剥离了所有ICQ的冗余后,仍然觉得功能过多。
Because once we had the suite unbadged of all the ICQ junk, we still had sort of too many functions.
就像一把瑞士军刀。
Like, it's a Swiss army knife.
你真的需要边写邮件边浏览网页吗?
Do you really need to browse the web while you compose an email?
它还有富文本编辑和通讯录管理功能。
And you had rich text editing and manage your address book.
于是我们提出了一个愿景。
So we came up with a vision.
Dave Highton在2003年撰写了Azolla路线图更新,提出让一个应用专注做好一件事。
Dave Highton and wrote the roadmap update from Azolla in 2003 that said, let's make one app do one thing well.
我们将基于一个共同的前端工具包构建所有功能,提供扩展支持,这样既能简化用户体验,又不会把高级用户推向Opera——那个总是内置太多选项的浏览器。
We'll build them all on a common front end toolkit, give them extensions so that we can simplify the UX but not drive the advanced users away to Opera, which always had too many options built in.
而且你甚至能在Mozilla上找到那份路线图。
And that roadmap you can still find even on Mozilla.
我认为它肯定存在于网络存档中。
I think it's certainly in the web archive.
在我看来那是份相当不错的路线图,因为它推动项目不仅向Firefox发展,还包括了Thunderbird。
It was a pretty good roadmap in my opinion because it got the project moving toward not only Firefox, but Thunderbird.
甚至连旧套件,志愿者们也想把它命名为SeaMonkey并继续开发,他们确实坚持了很长时间。
And even the old suite, the volunteers wanted to call it SeaMonkey and carry it on, and they did for a good long time.
但Firefox最初在2001年被称为Mozilla/浏览器。
But Firefox was originally Mozilla slash browser in 2001.
那时它只是网景公司内部的一艘小海盗船。
It was just a small pirate ship within Netscape.
团队成员有布莱克·罗斯、戴夫·海特等少数几人。
It was Blake Ross and Dave Hyatt and few others.
还有乔·休伊特。
Joe Hewitt.
对吧?
Right?
乔·休伊特开发了自动完成功能,后来还做出了超棒的Firebug插件。
Joe Hewitt did the the auto complete satchel and eventually did Firebug, which was awesome.
他后来被Facebook聘用,开发了最初的Facebook应用。
He then got hired by Facebook and built the original Facebook app.
布莱克·罗斯和乔·休特创立了Parakeet公司,并将其卖给了Facebook。
Blake Ross and Joe Huett founded Parakeet and sold that to Facebook.
事情就是这样发生的。
That's how that happened.
但我们失去了布莱克,他去了斯坦福。
But we lost Blake to Stanford.
我不得不从网景公司招募本·古杰来接替布莱克,从Firefox 0.6版本开始一直持续到某个时候。
I had to recruit Ben Goodger out of Netscape to take over for Blake, and that went from Firefox 0.6 on to one o.
本在插件、搜索集成以及让Firefox在Windows系统上表现出色方面做了大量重要工作。
And Ben did a lot of the important work on add ons and search integration and making it really sing on Windows.
因为这是开源软件当时没有做到的另一点。
Because that's the other thing open source didn't do.
那时的开源社区还在说,哦,它在Linux上运行良好。
Open source at that point was still saying, oh, it works on Linux.
但具体是哪个版本的KDE或Gnome,还是其他已被遗忘的桌面环境呢?
Well, which flavor of KDE or Gnome or forgotten other ones?
但他们没有
But they didn't
关心Windows系统。
care about Windows.
在我看来,社区总是需要——当我说社区时,指的是一个非常广泛的群体。
It seems to me that the community always needs and when I say the community, it's a very broad community.
它包括所有使用浏览器的人,甚至可能更广泛。
It's all people who use browsers and maybe even more general than that.
但他们总需要一个敢于挑战权威的激动人心的挑战者。
But they always need some exciting challenger that's fighting the man.
火狐似乎恰逢其时,聚集了一群真正热衷于此的合适人选。
And it seemed like Firefox was right place, right time with the right group of people who were actually passionate about this.
而困在AOL网景里的人则逐渐失去了激情。
Whereas everyone who was stuck inside of Netscape at AOL had sort of lost the fire.
AOL起初以为这是战略资产,后来意识到它已无路可走。
AOL at first thought this was a strategic asset, now realized it wasn't going anywhere.
因此,如果你拥有合适的团队,这正是抓住时机的时刻——当IE不再有真正的挑战者时,你就能真正放手一搏。
And so you had this sort of moment to seize if you had the right team where there was no legitimate challenger anymore to IE, and so you could make a real run at it.
你是这么想的吗?
Is that sort of how you think about it?
是的。
Yes.
你的描述几乎像分形结构——核心团队就像海盗船,嘲笑着网景管理层臃肿愚蠢的套件,同时开发出卓越工具,比如休伊特开发的Firebug和自动补全功能。
And the way you described it was almost like fractal structure because the core team was like a pirate ship kind of sassing Netscape management for their foolish bloated suite and also making great tools and things that Hewitt worked on, Firebug and and the autocomplete stuff.
这使得早期用户对它的热爱远超其他浏览器。我记得火狐0.8版在2004年初发布,到0.9版时,尤其是看到火箭即将发射的势头,整个网络先锋用户群都沸腾了。
And that led to early adopters loving it so much more than all the other browsers So that when Firefox was at 0.8 in early I think it was early two thousand four, and then 0.9 especially when we could see the rocket ready to launch, the whole lead user cohort of the web was just charged up.
那时我通过弗里茨·施耐德(他引荐的)联系上了谢尔盖·布林,并在0.9版本时达成了搜索协议。
At that point, we I'd made contact with Sergei Brin through somebody he sent my way named Fritz Schneider, and we'd gotten the search deal going in zero point nine.
我们还得到了弗里茨的团队——谷歌的Gin团队来协助火狐。
But we'd also gotten Fritz's team, the gin team at Google helping Firefox.
所以他们在开发Chrome之前,研究的浏览器正是火狐。
So they were working on browsers before Chrome, it and the browser to work on was Firefox.
没人认为这能成功。
Nobody thought it could be done.
当时普遍观点认为,即使Firefox已拥有数百万用户且增长迅猛,你们永远无法抢占那份市场份额。
The conventional wisdom still was that you're never gonna take that market share even though Firefox already had a few million users and was growing rapidly.
这确实促使一些和我们共事的人,比如Bart DeCreme,去尝试Firefox的商业分支版本。
And this did commit some people who worked with us at the time like Bart DeCreme to go try a commercial fork of Firefox.
那就是Flock。
That was flock.
没成功。
Didn't work.
融了一大笔风投资金。
Raised a bunch of VC.
哦,是啊。
Oh, yeah.
后来卖给了Zynga,2011年就关闭了。
Got sold to Zynga and then shut down in 2011.
还有其他分支版本。
There was other forks too.
比如我曾在Mac上用过的Camino。
I mean, was, I used Camino on the Mac.
那是Dave Hyatt开发的另一款浏览器。
That was Dave Hyatt's other browser.
Dave的著作量惊人。
Dave wrote prolifically.
他写了很多代码。
He wrote a lot of code.
所以他写了一个仅限Mac OS的浏览器来学习Cocoa工具包,我记得是叫这个。
So he wrote a Mac OS only browser to learn the Cocoa, I think it was, toolkit.
戴夫在苹果公司工作。
Dave works for Apple.
我记得他是2001年去的。
He went there in 2001, I believe.
他算是创造了Safari,因为他知道如何让KHTML引擎兼容网页。
He kind of made Safari because he knew how to make the KHTML engine web compatible.
这个引擎来自Linux,没有经过大众市场用户的实战检验,所以无法正常加载网站。
And it was from Linux, and it wasn't battle tested in the field against mass market users, so it didn't load websites properly.
最终导致2005年WebKit从KHTML分叉出来,但能把戴夫招进苹果对当时的Safari经理唐·梅尔顿(也是XNetscape成员)来说是个重大胜利。
Eventually, led to WebKit being forked from KHTML in 2005, but getting Dave at Apple was quite a coup for Don Melton, the manager at the time of Safari, who was also XNetscape.
但这就像重启市场的分形效应——顶撞上司、崭露头角,向世界展示人们日常使用的更好工具。
But there was just this fractal effect of restarting the market, you know, sassing your boss, showing up, I e, showing the world a better tool for something that people used every day.
对吧?
Right?
人们会轻视浏览器。
People would discount the browser.
就像当年有人说'桌面端胖应用回来了',或是iPhone发布八个月后(因为最初iPhone的应用模型其实是网页应用)。
There was like, oh, fat apps are back on the desktop, Windows long hoard, or when the iPhone launched, eight months after actually because the initial app model for the iPhone was web apps.
一个绝妙的解决方案。
A sweet solution.
但原生应用必须存在,因为游戏需要移植。
But native apps had to be there because of games being ported.
然后原生应用获得了特权,并拥有了网页所不具备的应用商店优势。
And then native apps got privileges and got App Store affordances that the web didn't.
而且大约每十年就会重复同样的事情。
And it's same thing every ten years or so.
你总会看到有人在阻碍网页的发展。
You just get people holding the web back.
通常,这是垄断势力或市场力量在作祟。
Usually, it's a monopoly power or a market power.
然后新秀崛起,因为人们仍然在使用网页。
And then the the upstart comes because people still use the web.
网页的价值是如此巨大。
The value in the web is is so great.
而且,你知道,所有这些应用中都嵌入了网页视图,顺便说一句,也都嵌入了追踪器。
And, you know, there's embedded web views in all these apps, and there's embedded trackers in all these apps, by the way.
我们也在通过与Guardian iOS防火墙VPN的合作来拦截这些内容。
We're we're blocking those too with our partnership with Guardian iOS firewall, the VPN.
感觉
It feels
对我来说,在叙事和市场认知方面,这与硅和半导体有些相似。
kinda similar to me in terms of narrative and market perception to silicon and to semiconductors.
就像,你知道,几年前人们觉得半导体行业很无聊。
Like, you know, a couple years ago, people like, ah, semiconductor is so boring.
就像,你知道的,并不是所有的创新都,嗯,远远超出那个层面的。
Like, you know, it's not like all the innovations, you know, way way way up the stack from that.
实际上,事实证明半导体极其重要,而台积电,你知道的,是一家非常、非常、非常重要的公司,全球市值前十的企业之一。
Well, like, actually, turns out the semiconductors are pretty freaking important and TSMC is like, you know, a very, very, very important company and one of the top 10 most valuable in the world.
浏览器给我的感觉也类似。
The browser feels similar to me.
虽然很容易低估它,但世界上大多数人每天的大部分时间其实都在浏览器上度过。
Like, it's so easy to discount it and yet the majority of, like, people in the world spend the majority of their days on it.
是啊。
Yeah.
这是个永不过时的应用。
It it's an immortal app.
它是通用应用。
It's the universal app.
屏幕越大、输入带宽越好,你就越会生活在浏览器里——连Slack这种应用你都不愿安装客户端。
The bigger the screen and the better the input bandwidth, the more you live in the browser and you don't want to install some you know, even Slack.
我们Brave的很多Slack用户都直接用浏览器加载网页版Slack,而不是用Slack官方那个臃肿且维护迟缓的Electron应用。
We have a lot of our users of Slack at Brave use the browser to load Slack as a web app instead of loading this bloated electron app that Slack has been slowly maintaining.
这里存在真正的取舍,我认为这正是浏览器永不过时的部分原因,但网页内容本身也具有粘性和累积性,这点同样重要。
There's a real trade off there that I think is part of the browser's immortality, but the web content is also sticky and accretive, and that's important too.
没错。
Yeah.
我用一句话总结吧。
I'll sum it all up in one sentence.
Firefox表现非常出色,占据了巨大的市场份额。
Firefox did really, really well and gained a huge, market share.
但当Chrome推出后,它的市场份额逐年被蚕食,现在只剩3%左右。
And then when Chrome launched, it's been slowly etched away every year by Chrome now, and it's down around something like 3%.
所以我想直接快进到你们开始考虑Brave浏览器的时刻。
So I wanna fast forward all the way to the moment where you're starting to think about Brave.
然而,之前有过多次尝试开发具有不同理念的新兴浏览器。
And yet, there's been all these attempts to start a new upstart browser that has a different take on things.
我想到了Dolphin浏览器。
I'm thinking of Dolphin.
我想到那些没有成功的尝试。
I'm thinking of that have not worked.
是的。
Yeah.
所以,Flock当时在做社交或Web2.0。
So, yeah, the flock was doing social or web two point o.
这使得它成为Firefox增长市场的核心,但这并非好的增长策略,因为你必须让人们放弃Firefox,然后在增长的外围领域超越他们。
It make it the very center of Firefox's growing market, and that's not a good growth strategy because you have to get people off Firefox and then somehow beat them on the on the outer rings of growth.
而Firefox在那个领域已经发展得更快,你很难从最核心的极客黑客技术圈Web2.0人群中争取到太多叛变者。
And Firefox was already going faster there and you weren't gonna get too many defectors from the innermost nerdy hacker technoradi web two point o people.
所以Flock失败了。
So Flock failed.
Rockmelt是在Chrome之后出现的,基于Chrome的WebKit分支——当时这还算不上独立技术——并试图增加社交功能。
Rockmelt was went after Chrome came out and was based on the Chrome fork of WebKit, which wasn't its own thing really then, and tried to add social.
我想只是我还没和蒂姆·豪斯谈过这件事。
I think it was just I haven't talked to Tim Howes about this.
我想这只是为了试图把它卖给扎克伯格。
I think it was just aimed at trying to sell it to Zuck.
嗯,扎克伯格不想要浏览器。
Well, Zuck doesn't want a browser.
他已经有浏览器了。
He's got a browser.
他对Facebook在桌面端的网页应用非常满意,而且那时他已经瞄准移动端,因为iPhone已经问世,他想要完整的移动原生应用。
He's very happy with the Facebook web app on desktop, and then he was at that point already aiming at mobile because the iPhone was out, and he wanted full native apps on mobile.
所以他永远不会收购RockMelt。
So he was never gonna buy rock melt.
所以岩石融化计划失败了。
So rock melt failed.
海豚做得很好,因为我觉得他们有那个人——我忘了她的名字。
Dolphin did well because I think they had this I forget her name.
她是个很棒的营销专家。
She was a great marketer.
她在多个亚洲国家达成了所有这些分销和增长黑客协议。
She got all these distribution and growth hack deals going in various Asian countries.
随着移动端通过安卓系统崛起,他们确实在打造一款优秀的移动浏览器方面做了可靠的工作。
And they did a credible job on making it a good mobile browser as mobile came up through Android.
安卓某种程度上重新启动了那个G1项目。
Android kind of double started that g one.
它叫什么名字来着?
What was it called?
那是第一款安卓设备。
It was the first Android device.
它叫T-Mobile G1。
It was The t mobile g one.
它并不好用。
It was not good.
2006年我和谷歌的安迪·鲁宾聊过。
I talked to Andy Rubin at Google in 2006.
对。
Yeah.
但安卓系统花了很长时间才勉强达到可用水平,即便我对苹果有诸多不满,至今仍无法使用安卓。
But Android took a while to get anywhere near decent and I still can't use it even though I've got many complaints about Apple.
我没记错吧?
Am I remembering right
海豚浏览器是不是有段时间——虽然最初不是——但后来转型标榜自己注重隐私?
that Dolphin at some point, I don't think originally, but maybe later in its life pivoted to be like, oh, we're privacy focused.
对吧?
Right?
所以人们开始关注这个问题了。
So, like, people were starting to think about this.
现在所有人都在这么干。
Everybody's doing that now.
在某些情况下,他们连澡都不洗就直接喷隐私香水。
They're putting privacy perfume on without taking a shower in some cases.
哦,我喜欢这个。
Oh, I love it.
但在海豚浏览器之外,UCWeb是亚洲另一款成功的主流浏览器。
But one of the big browsers that succeeded in Asia besides Dolphin was UCWeb.
而且UCWeb在印尼、孟加拉和印度市场逆袭了Chrome。
And UCWeb grew against Chrome in Indonesia and Bangladesh and India.
在印度某些邦,它的市场份额甚至超过了Chrome。
In some Indian states, it had more share than Chrome.
我们注意到UCWeb的做法之一是屏蔽广告。
And one of the things we noticed that UCWeb did was it blocked ads.
说实话,作为开发过火狐浏览器却连最基本的隐私功能都不完善的团队,这有点尴尬,但事实如此。
So having done Firefox and been in the situation where we we didn't even have the best privacy features, it's kind of embarrassing, but it's true.
在隐私保护方面,Mozilla做得不如苹果的史蒂夫·乔布斯。
Mozilla did not lead on privacy as well as Steve Jobs did at Apple.
最早的Safari浏览器就有隐私窗口功能。
The very first Safari had private Windows.
它内置了第三方cookie拦截器。
It had a third party cookie blocker.
当时火狐浏览器这两项功能都没有。
Neither these things were in Firefox at the time.
隐私窗口功能倒是很快就跟进了。
Private windows came in quickly.
我在职期间,我们从未推出过第三方cookie拦截功能。
We never shipped a third party cookie blocker in my time there.
总是有人担心会惹出麻烦。
There was always concern about rocking the boat.
不得不说,可能确实存在对谷歌搜索合作的潜在担忧,担心这会产生什么影响。
I have to say there was probably some implicit concern about the Google search partnership and what would be the effect on that.
因为当然,Mozilla的绝大部分收入都来自与谷歌的搜索协议——将谷歌设为默认搜索引擎,从而从谷歌获得数亿美元的收入。
Because of course, the vast majority of Mozilla's revenue comes from the Google search deal to use Google as the default and get paid hundreds of millions of dollars from Google.
是啊。
Yeah.
这确实是资助Mozilla的一大妙招,虽然最后是谷歌买单,但也预示着谷歌会开发自己的浏览器。
It really was the one big trick for funding Mozilla and it was, you know, Google at last, but it also foretold Google doing its own browser.
对吧?
Right?
我们其实也预见到了这一点。
We we could see this coming too.
我们不想在协议中索取过多收入,以免他们觉得开发Chrome更划算,所以我们尝试调整策略。
We didn't want to take so much revenue in the in the deal that it became cheaper for them to do Chrome, so we tried to adjust that.
但我们所做的只是让Chrome的推出推迟了几个月,最多一年。
But all we did was defer Chrome maybe a few months, a year at most.
甚至不确定我们是否真的延迟了它。
It it wasn't clear we deferred it at all.
因为到2005年,苹果的Dave Hyatt和Maciej Stokovic等人就说过:我们别再给KHTML打补丁了。
Because by 2005, Dave Hyatt and, Maciej Stokovic and others at Apple had said, let's stop patch bombing KHTML.
让我们打造自己的迷你版Mozilla。
Let's make our own little mini Mozilla.
它将由苹果运营,但使用webkit.org。
It'll be run by Apple, but it'll be webkit.org.
这将是一个正经的开源项目。
It'll be a proper open source project.
为他们高兴,他们做到了。
And good for them, they did it.
这后来不仅成为Safari的基础,也成为了Chrome的基础。
And that became the basis for not only what they put in Safari, but for Chrome.
所以我2005年最后一次见到拉里·佩奇时,他眼里闪着光。
So there was a gleam in Larry Page's eyes when last I saw him 2005.
他说,是啊,网络变得如此简洁。
He was saying, yeah, web gets so clean.
我当时说,拉里,去做你自己的浏览器吧。
I'm like, Larry, go do your own browser.
没问题的。
It's fine.
别担心火狐。
Don't worry about Firefox.
你应该做自己的浏览器。
You should do your own browser.
所以我们在2006年就知道他们在做了。
So we knew in 2006, they were doing it.
我们知道他们当时正把人员从Firefox项目撤下来。
We knew that they were at that point pulling people off Firefox.
而且我在AOL和Mozilla共事过的一些人正在开发那个原型。
And that some of the people I'd worked with at AOL or at Mozilla were working on the prototype.
他们花了相当长时间才把它做出来。
And took them a while to get it out.
Chrome于2008年9月1日发布,最初并不被看好,显然人们更关注快速的JavaScript引擎之类的特性。
Chrome came out in 09/01/2008, and it wasn't really in at first, clearly about fast JavaScript or all the stuff that people think of.
它更重要的创新是通过隔离Flash播放器进程,使得单个标签页崩溃时不会拖垮整个浏览器。
It was more about isolating the Flash player so that when it crashes in a tab, it doesn't drag your whole browser down.
是的。
Yes.
没错。
Yes.
还有那本漫画
And that comic
他们随产品发布的漫画简直是天才营销策略,极客们会为这种进程隔离标签页的设计理念疯狂。
that they shipped was just freaking brilliant as a marketing strategy for the nerds out there that would really appreciate process isolated tabs.
对。
Yeah.
它包含了一切要素。
It it had everything.
里面还有Lars Bach关于VA的内容。
It had Lars Bach about VA.
当时有我在AOL共事过的达伦·费希尔。
It had Darren Fisher who I'd worked with at AOL.
但在某个时间点,具体记不清了,我从一位在谷歌工作的朋友那里听说了这件事。
But some point, I don't know when, I heard this from a friend who was at Google.
拉里坐直了身子说:等等,我们做的是搜索广告业务,而Chrome居然没有追踪我们的用户?
Larry sat up and said, wait, we're running a search advertising business and Chrome isn't tracking our users?
我们到底哪里做错了?
What what are we doing wrong?
于是在2016年,谷歌的隐私政策发生了变化。
And so in 2016, Google's privacy policy changed.
这发生在我创办Brave之后,但我会从这里开始讲述完整的故事,因为当时ProPublica注意到了,《卫报》转载了他们的报道。
This was after I started Brave, but I just I'll tell the full story of Brave by starting there because at that point, ProPublica noticed, The Guardian republished their piece.
他们某种程度上说谷歌已经越过了卢比孔河(破釜沉舟)。
They sort of said Google's crossed the Rubicon.
他们把所有的数据都连接到了一个庞大的广告交易和数据收集系统中。
They've connected all their data into one big ad exchange and data collection system.
除了谷歌分析(Google Analytics)被单独划分出来,但也不清楚它还有多少隐私性可言。
With a carve out for Google Analytics, it's not clear how much Google Analytics is private anymore.
至于Chrome浏览器,如果你用谷歌账号登录右上角那个独立功能,就会被锁定为广告投放目标。
And Chrome, if you sign into the browser, which is a separate feature in the upper right corner, using your Google account, then you're trapped for ad targeting.
这就是谷歌的商业模式。
It's Google's business.
但很多人不知道这一点,有些人也没有登录浏览器。
But a lot of people didn't know this, and some people didn't sign into the browser.
嗯,二月份的时候,谷歌说,天哪。
Well, in February, Google said, gosh darn it.
人们登录浏览器的次数不够多。
People aren't signing into the browser enough.
我们打算只要你在某个标签页登录了Gmail或YouTube,就直接执行。
We're gonna just do it whenever you sign in to Gmail or YouTube in a tab.
我们会让你在所有标签页自动登录,并追踪你的活动。
We'll just sign you in across all the tabs and we'll track you.
哦,哇。
Oh, wow.
如果你不喜欢这样,可以在谷歌账户设置里选择退出。
If you don't like it, you can opt out in the Google account settings.
是啊。
Yeah.
没错。
Right.
但没人会这么做的。
But nobody's gonna do that.
而我确实会。
And I do.
我是说,对,你会这么做。
I mean, yeah, you'll do that.
以前在会议上演讲时,我会问有多少人在用Chrome,有多少人知道这个,有多少人选择了退出。
But used to do talks at conferences, ask how many people were using Chrome, how many people knew this, how many people opted out.
要知道,那些手多得数不清,然后它们开始坠落,接着就出现了涨红的脸和惊愕的表情。
And the hands, you know, were numerous, and then they started falling, and then there were red faces and consternation.
这不仅仅是谷歌的问题。
This is not just Google.
我拿他们开刀是因为他们成了最大的公司,但收购DoubleClick是他们早期跨越的一条类似卢比孔河的界限。
I pick on them because they became the biggest, but and buying DoubleClick was an earlier sort of Rubicon they crossed.
因为我想谢尔盖在2003年曾对我的一个朋友说过,哦,我们绝不会在发布商页面上做那种将广告追踪与搜索广告挂钩的事。
Because I think Sergei told a friend of mine in 2003, oh, we would never do, like, tracking for ads on publisher pages that tied into our search ads.
我们绝不会在整个网络范围内进行追踪。
We we would never track across the web.
那样做太邪恶了。
That would be evil.
哎呀。
Oops.
好吧,情况变了。
Well, it changed.
嗯,邪恶的定义会随着利益的大小而改变。
Well, the definition of of evil shifts depends on how large the incentives are.
是啊。
Yeah.
而且上市还会让你对股东负有受托责任,这种压力很难抗拒。
And going public also just puts a fiduciary duty to your shareholders on you that is hard to resist.
这就像是,你知道的,资本主义那头盲目贪婪的野兽。
And this is kind of the, you know, the the animal, the blind voracious beast of capitalism.
当我思考Brave浏览器时,我意识到Mozilla不仅被其搜索引擎合作伙伴所束缚,而且很可能因为无法在Chrome的核心特性乃至分发渠道上竞争而走向衰亡——后者在大规模应用时尤为关键。
So when I was thinking about Brave, I realized not only had Mozilla become captured by its search partner and was probably gonna die because it couldn't compete not just on Chrome intrinsic qualities, but on distribution, which really matters at scale.
你必须为此付费。
You have to pay for it.
对吧?
Right?
微软已经觉醒,先是做了IE浏览器,最终推出了Edge。
Microsoft had woken up and was doing IE and finally did Edge.
这还是在他们将Edge转向基于Chromium之前。
And this is before they switched Edge to be based on Chromium.
当时他们肯定仍在通过Windows系统分发它。
They were certainly still distributing it on Windows.
他们某种程度上在强行捆绑。
They were kind of tying it.
而且我认为情况变得更糟了。
And I would say it's gotten worse.
Windows 10和11变得更加激进——尽管最近在某项具体措施上有所收敛,那简直像是回到了反垄断案的时代。
Windows ten and eleven have gotten even more aggressive, though they backed off on one particular thing recently, where it's almost like back to the antitrust case.
他们会说:嘿,你还没用Edge呢。
They're saying, hey, you're not using Edge.
我们注意到了。
We've noticed.
要不要试试Edge?
Would you like to use Edge?
或者说,哎呀,我们把你的默认浏览器重置为Edge了。
Or oops, we reset your default browser to Edge.
这种情况也会发生。
That happens too.
这对谷歌来说是个问题。
And this is a problem for Google.
所以谷歌不得不付费分发Chrome。
So Google has to pay to distribute Chrome.
Mozilla没有资源做这种事。
Mozilla doesn't have the resources to do this.
我在职时Firefox的增长完全是自然增长的,我认为。
Our growth with Firefox when I was there was completely organic, I think.
而且我离开后可能也主要是自然增长。
And it's probably was mostly organic after I left.
他们可能做过一些增长黑客手段。
They might have done a little growth hacking.
所以他们
So and they
在移动端从未做大。
never got big on mobile.
我很想听听你的解释。
I'd love your explanation.
再次说明,我问这个问题不是因为我没想法,而是想听听你的见解。
And again, I don't ask this because I don't have thoughts myself, but I wanna hear from you.
为什么被追踪是件坏事?
Why is it bad to be tracked?
是啊。
Yeah.
人们如果足够精明,就会想起黎塞留的那句格言。
People sometimes if they're savvy, they'll remember Richelieu's epigram.
我不确定这句话是否真的出自他。
I don't know if it really came from him.
你知道的,给我六句最诚实之人说的话,我就能找到绞死他的理由。
You know, give me six sentences from the most honest man and I'll find a way to hang him.
对吧?
Right?
斯诺登改变了局面。
Snowden changed things.
人们突然意识到,等等。
People realized, wait a minute.
这里存在违反联邦法律的行为。
There's violations of federal law here.
我认为谷歌工程师们很愤怒,他们一直在使用电信暗光纤却没有加密骨干流量。
Google engineers who've been using Telco Dark Fiber without encrypting their backbone traffic were outraged, I think.
而且数据泄露让人困扰。
And data breaches bother people.
还有我提到的第三方问题,那些嵌入像素和脚本,你根本不知道自己的数据去了哪里。
And the third party problem I mentioned, those embedded pixels and all those embedded scripts, you don't know where your data is going.
这不仅仅是追踪你以提供更优惠的交易或让网站上的广告更个性化。
It's not just that it's tracking you to give you a better deal or to make your ads more personalized on a website.
这些数据正从窗口飞出去,不仅流向暗网,还公开可用。
That data is flying out the window, and it's going into stuff that is available to the not only the dark web, but just available publicly.
这个骇人听闻的故事,我就不点名了。
The horrifying story, I won't name names.
我们Brave有个供应商掌握着人们的个人信息。
We have a vendor at Brave that has information on people.
他们把数据共享给了益博睿。
It shared it with Experian.
我们之前不知道这种情况正在发生。
We didn't know this was happening.
我不清楚是否违反了隐私法。
I don't know if there's a privacy law that was breached.
我们认为他们的隐私政策被他们自己的行为破坏了——或是他们默认开启了这个我们不知情需要手动关闭的设置。
We believe their privacy policy was breached by their own action or their setting of this as a default that we didn't know we had to opt out of.
益博睿简直就是数据泄露之城。
Experian is just breach city.
对吧?
Right?
这些都是笑话。
These are jokes.
这是犯罪行为。
It's criminal.
我不确定这算不算真的犯罪,但感觉像是犯罪。
I I don't know if it's literally criminal, but it feels criminal.
对。
Right.
于是人们逐渐意识到隐私就像身处险境——一旦被困住就不安全。
So consciousness of privacy as something where you're unsafe if you're trapped grew.
最初的态度是:我不在乎。
Initially, was like, I don't care.
困住我吧。
Trap me.
我毫无隐私可言。
I have no privacy.
只要让我的体验更个性化就行。
Just make my experience more personal.
但后来变成了:等等。
And then it became, wait a minute.
存在第三方甚至第七方,就像凯文·贝肯的六度空间理论。
There's some third party or seventh party, seven degrees of Kevin Bacon.
有个在俄罗斯的人正在追踪我。
There's somebody in, you know, Russia who's tracking me.
这可不好。
That's no good.
有人在现实世界通过地理围栏技术设局困住我。
There's somebody playing games to trap me around physical world using geofencing.
通过广告确实可能实现这一点,很可能已有恶意行为者这么做了。
That's possible with ads, and it's been done probably by malicious actors.
这里涉及间谍行为。
There's spy stuff going on.
人们意识到这不仅是'哦,某处有我的档案'这么简单,而是更严重的问题。
People realized that this was a bigger problem than just, oh, something somewhere has some dossier on me.
因为一旦你的档案存在于服务器上,就极可能被复制或泄露,最终出现在成百上千台服务器中。
Because once you have a dossier on a server, it's very likely it's gonna get copied or leaked, it's gonna be in a 100 servers or a thousand servers.
而你无从知晓这些数据的具体去向或被用于何种不良用途。
And you won't know where it is or to what bad uses that we put.
与此同时,欧洲隐私法以抽象方式兴起——虽未明确定义术语,但采用了关于人际互动的常识概念。正如乔布斯曾向莫博士直白解释的:隐私意味着除非我明确为特定受益目的提供数据,否则你无权获取。
So meanwhile, privacy law was coming up in Europe that in its own abstract ways, and that is without defining its terms, did use sort of common sense notions about how we interact, which Steve Jobs himself once talked to Mossberg about in very plain terms, which is privacy means you don't get my data unless I know I'm giving it to you for a specific purpose that benefits me.
这本质上是一种等价交换。
And there's sort of a quid pro quo.
这正是GDPR试图通过'目的限制'原则实现的效果。
And that's what the GDPR tries to do with purpose limitation or purpose specificity.
所以当你同意那些管理混乱、毫无意义的cookie弹窗时——我并非为它们辩护。
So when you consent to those cookie dialogues, which are all misregulated, mismanaged, and nonsense, I'm not defending them.
和所有法规一样,GDPR也充满意外后果。
And GDPR, like all regulations, is full of unintended consequences.
其本意是询问:你是否同意出于必要或非必要原因设置追踪cookie?
What they're trying to do is say, do you consent to let a tracking cookie be set, let's say, for some essential or inessential reason?
其中必要用途存在豁免条款。
And there are carve outs for essential reasons.
当你使用搜索引擎时,那是第一方。
When you go to a search engine, it's a first party.
你提供数据以获得更好的搜索结果。
You're giving it data to get better results.
因此这里存在一个基本目的,可以证明某种数据处理是合理的。
So there's an essential purpose there that that can justify some kind of data being processed.
这不一定是在追踪,因为数据仅存在于该搜索引擎。
It isn't necessarily tracking because it's only at that search engine.
但当你面对所有这些网站弹出的cookie同意书时,比如点击这里了解更多,结果发现有300家供应商。
But when you're dealing with all these sites that throw these cookie consents, you know, click here to learn more and there's 300 vendors.
如果你想选择退出,必须逐个点击它们,而且经常找不到相关页面。
And if you wanna opt out, you have to go click on them, and often there's no page there.
返回了一个404 HTTP响应。
There's a four zero four HTTP response.
没有电话号码。
There's no phone number.
无法选择退出。
There's no way to opt out.
所以声称可以轻松选择退出完全是欺诈行为,而且这不仅在欧洲,在世界许多地方也是违法的。
So it's a complete fraud that you can opt out of this easily, And that's also against the law in many places in the world, not just Europe.
全球各地正在出台许多这类隐私保护法律。
A lot of these privacy laws are coming up around the world.
这与Brave浏览器的兴起大致是同步发生的。
And this was, sort of concurrent with the rise of Brave.
但关于隐私的意识仍在增长,这帮助我们保持领先地位,正如我提到的研发工作使我们既快速又高效。
But the consciousness about privacy is still growing and that's helping us because we were at the forefront and doing this R and D I mentioned, which made us fast and efficient.
你可以看到DuckDuckGo等其他公司加入进来,它始终在Bing上提供更注重隐私的搜索前端。
And you're seeing others jump in with DuckDuckGo always had a more private sort of search front end on Bing.
在关键词搜索方面,它基本上还是Bing。
It's pretty much Bing still for the keyword search.
他们已有移动浏览器,现在正增加桌面浏览器和其他产品。
They had mobile browsers, now they're adding desktop browsers and other products.
正如我提到的,苹果因隐私问题获得公正认可,我认为这直接源自史蒂夫·乔布斯在Safari隐私窗口和第三方cookie屏蔽上的举措。
And like I mentioned, Apple gets fair credit for privacy concerns that I think came directly from Steve Jobs in Safari private windows and third party cookie blocking.
苹果以某种正当性将自己定位为隐私守护者。
And Apple rests itself in privacy with some justice.
而现在,谷歌试图声称发明隐私沙盒来拯救其业务——我是说,拯救世界。
And now, Google's trying to claim to invent the privacy sandbox to save its business I mean, to save the world.
抱歉。
Sorry.
你知道,他们正强行推进标准化,并推广到其他浏览器中。
You know, and ram it through standardization and, into other browsers.
让我更具体地问一下大卫的问题。
Let me ask David's question a little bit more specifically.
为什么私密计算体验对你个人而言很重要?
Why is a private computing experience important to you personally?
是的。
Yes.
所以我提到了这种日益增长的隐私意识,隐私是多方面的,涉及不同程度和种类的威胁。
So I mentioned this rising consciousness of privacy, how privacy is sort of multisided and involves different degrees and kinds of threats.
因此这些对我很重要。
So that those matter to me.
毫无疑问。
No doubt.
但我也认为用户必须拥有隐私以获得经济优势。
But I also think the user has to have privacy for economic advantage.
否则,我们无法与网络权力进行集体谈判。
Otherwise, we have no way of collective bargaining with the network powers.
任何网络都会有权力中心。
And any network is gonna have power centers.
这只是因为网络效应。
It's just because of network effects.
而且,你知道,无论它们收集大量数据还是仅仅成为一家成功的企业,它们都将拥有经济力量、市场力量,而用户可能只是这些被剪去羊毛的绵羊。
And, you know, whether they collect much data or just become a successful business, they will have economic power, market power, and the users may just be these sort of sheep to be shorn of their wool.
这就是广告技术的模式。
That is the model for ad tech.
但如果用户能保护自己的数据,他们就可以要求更高的价格。
But if users can guard their data, they can demand a higher price.
他们可以要求更好的条款。
They can demand better terms.
他们可以使用加密协议进行交易,在不放弃隐私的同时,仍能提供真实的归因或确认,比如广告浏览或购买。
They can use cryptographic protocols to transact without giving up their privacy while still giving authentic attribution or confirmation of, you know, ads viewed or purchases.
所以对营销人员来说,关键在于让他们在最佳时机接触到用户,而不是单独追踪每个人。
So what matters to the marketers if you get them in, you know, their best day is not that they track you individually.
他们根本不知道该如何处理这些追踪数据库。
They wouldn't know what to do with these tracking databases.
通常是由他们雇佣的供应商来完成,比如谷歌、脸书等公司。
It's usually vendors they hire that do it, or Google, Facebook, and so on.
但他们想知道能触达哪些受众群体,以及这些群体或其细分群体的转化效果如何。
But they want to know what audience they can address, and they want to know how well that audience or cohorts within it convert.
他们想对受众进行细分,看看是否能用伪科学(主要是回归分析、逻辑回归)来做效果和增长营销。
They want to segment that audience and see if they can do performance and growth marketing with pseudoscience, mostly regression, logistical regression.
基本上就是用非常简单的统计数据来判断这个广告活动有效,那个没效果。
Mostly, you know, very simple statistics to see this campaign's working, this one's not.
我要在这个渠道多投钱,那个渠道少投点。
I'm gonna spend more money on this and less on that.
我还要试试这种新的付费媒体推广方式。
And I'm gonna try this new, you know, paid media approach.
我打算试试Brave浏览器的新隐私广告系统,因为那里有些用户不受常规手段影响。
I'm gonna try this new Brave browser private ad system because there are some users there that are off the reservation.
这些用户无法被触达和定位。
They are not reachable, addressable.
他们过去在Chrome上用uBlock Origin,现在转用Brave了。
They used uBlock Origin on Chrome, now they're using Brave.
我无法通过常规的媒体渠道和广告方式接触到他们。
I can't get to them through my usual, you know, media channels and advertising methods.
所以我打算在Brave上投点钱。
So I'm gonna put a little money on Brave.
这就是我们如何建立起私人广告业务的,作为Brave Rewards的一部分,它使用基本注意力代币。
And that's how we built up the private ad business as part of Brave Rewards uses the basic attention token.
这对我也很重要,因为我一直在思考经济学。
And that matters to me too because I always thought about economics.
我从小就对它感兴趣,但我和Mozilla都认为,我们会被谷歌干掉。
I was interested in it from a young age, but I also and Mozilla thought, we're gonna get killed by Google.
我认为Mozilla的每个高管都这么想过。
I think every executive thought this at Mozilla.
我说这个没有违反任何保密协议。
I'm not breaching any NDAs to say this.
这个问题或许只有开发第二个浏览器并将其作为Firefox的伴侣来营销才能解决。
It was something that maybe can't be solved without really doing a second browser and marketing it as a companion to Firefox.
实际上我曾一度和Dave Hyde讨论过做这件事,但我没能把他从苹果挖过来,我还尝试过争取Hewitt。
And I actually talked, at one point with Dave Hyde about doing this, but I couldn't recruit him away from Apple, and I tried to get Hewitt as well.
那本该是一个基于WebKit的Mozilla浏览器,但风险太大了。
And it would have been a WebKit based Mozilla browser, but it was too risky.
我找不到需要的人才。
I couldn't get the talent I needed.
这最终会损害Firefox,而且对士气也不好。
It would undermine Firefox at some point, and it would have been bad for morale.
所以,你知道,也许Mozilla被困住了,但我不希望Brave也被困住。
So, you know, maybe Mozilla is trapped, but I didn't want Brave to be trapped.
我当然不希望自己或孩子被困住,因为这些垄断可能持续得比应有的时间长得多,他们可以一直剪羊毛直到羊群挨饿。
And I certainly didn't want myself or my children to be trapped because these monopolies can last a lot longer than they should, and they can really keep shearing those sheep until sheep are starving.
这种情况已经发生了。
And that's happened.
我认为这就是我们在所有审查和对搜索结果那种粗暴干预下所走向的方向。
I think that's where we're headed with all the censorship and the heavy handed interference in sort of search results.
2015年开始对YouTuber进行变现限制,不仅针对那些应该被审查的恶劣内容——否则你会失去观众并招致他人追责——
Demonetization of YouTubers in 2015 started, and it wasn't just, you know, over atrocious content that should be censored because otherwise, you're gonna just have people after you and you're gonna lose viewers.
还包括各种没人能理解的事情,导致YouTube创作者们不断亏损。
It was over all sorts of things that nobody can understand, and they were just losing money as as YouTube creators.
就像那些只是分享爱好的创作者,发现他们的广告收入突然下降了。
Like, these were just creators who were talking about their hobbies and they they found their ad revenue going down.
哦,完全同意。
Oh, totally.
是啊。
Yeah.
谷歌改了YouTube算法,脸书改了Instagram或脸书算法,结果整个创作领域就像被清桌了一样。
Google changes YouTube algorithms, Facebook changes, Instagram or Facebook algorithms, and, like, it completely wipes the table of whole, you know, sectors of creators.
没错。
Yeah.
在英国,确实有过涉及搜索算法和SEO调整的监管案例。
In in The UK, there were actual regulatory cases involving this, search algorithm, SEO sort of change.
马特·卡茨在谷歌任职时经常写博客,他试图保持这方面的透明度。
Matt Cutts, when he was at Google, used to blog, and he tried to be transparent about it.
但很明显谷歌拥有巨大权力,他们在某种黑箱中运作,就像个赌场。
But it was clear Google had a lot of power, and there's sort of a a black box that they're operating inside of, and it's a casino.
庄家永远赢。
The house always wins.
所以我想采用计算机早期时代我们熟悉的方式——那时你是部门小型机或实验室小型机的系统管理员,或是个人电脑管理员,必须亲自获取CD光盘。
So I wanted to use something that we knew about in the old days of computing where you were the system administrator of your department's minicomputer or your lab's minicomputer or you were your PC's administrator, you had to get the CD ROM.
你必须自己安装系统。
You had to install it.
那真是麻烦透顶。
That was a total pain.
那时存在各种攻击。
It was attacks.
但你可以把数据存储在那里。
But you could keep your data there.
你能确保自己清楚系统运行状况。
You could make sure that you knew what was going on.
那时的系统在许多方面比如今的联网设备更具完整性——现在的设备会背着你自动更新,可能出错或失控,还有各种第三方追踪。
Your system had, in many ways more integrity than our modern day connected devices do, where they can be updated behind your back and things can go wrong or sideways and there's all this third party tracking.
因此我想让用户通过隐私保护重获掌控权,通过Brave浏览器所称的'防护盾',通过你口袋里的超级计算机——就是90年代那种超标量微架构处理器。
So I wanted to get back to the user having power through privacy, through shields, that's what Brave calls them, through the power in your pocket, which is the supercomputer, you know, the micro unity super scalar architecture from the nineties.
然而这种算力某种程度上被浪费了。
And yet it's kind of underutilized.
尽管处理器速度提升了上万倍,软件体验却远没有好上万倍。
Software is not 10,000 times better even though the processors are that much faster.
出问题了。
Something's gone wrong.
因为即便在90年代初,硅谷图形操作系统的体积就已经开始膨胀。
Because even in the early nineties, silicon graphics operating system was getting bloated.
而我们当时还在讨论从8MB内存升级到16MB内存。
And we're talking about going from eight meg RAM to 16 meg RAM.
我是说,这点内存容量现在看起来简直荒谬得可怜。
I mean, just ridiculous small amount of memory.
然而软件却越来越臃肿,X Window、Motif这些垃圾框架。
And yet the software was getting bloated, x Windows and Motif and all this garbage.
所以软件并没有变得更好。
So software has not gotten better.
在某些方面反而更糟了。
It's in some ways gotten worse.
我希望Brave能高举优质软件的旗帜,打造更精简的软件,捍卫用户隐私的软件——因为它能赋予你们经济议价权,有机会改变网络拓扑结构。要知道,中心化势力总是此消彼长地聚集财富。
And I wanted Brave to wave the flag of better software, tighter software, software that defends your privacy because it gives you economic bargaining power, a chance at changing the topology of the network where, again, there's always gonna be central powers that come and go and accumulate wealth.
但如果用户能够反击,他们就能拥有其他选择,比如加密货币、代币和智能合约系统。
But if the users can fight back, they can have, let's say, other options like cryptocurrencies and tokens and smart contract systems.
我正想说,对大多数普通人而言,当Brave刚起步时,经济权力这个概念确实难以理解。
Well, I was gonna say, you know, maybe for the majority of people out there when you were starting Brave, yeah, like, oh, economic power, I get it.
就像谷歌、脸书它们掌握着权力。
Like Google, Facebook, they've got power.
但作为个体,我怎么可能拥有经济权力呢?
But how on earth would I ever as an individual have economic power?
那不是我们的卖点。
Wasn't our pitch.
我们的卖点是私密、快速、低耗电。
Our pitch was private, fast, you know, low battery use.
实际上在2019年世界移动通信大会上,英国这家名为绿色幽灵的公司过来表示认可。
And we actually at Mobile World Congress twenty nineteen, this green specter company from The UK came by and said, yeah.
我们测量过。
We've measured.
你们是安卓上最省电的浏览器。
You're the you're the least power hungry browser on Android.
这很棒,因为它验证了我们研究团队的成果。
It was awesome because it confirmed our own research team's results.
但你必须用人们日常的感知来推销。
But you have to sell with what people feel every day.
他们感受到的是页面加载延迟。
What they feel is that page load lag.
他们感受到电池在耗尽。
They feel that battery being drained.
他们感受到数据套餐的限制。
They feel the data plan.
即使他们用的是无限流量套餐,仍会有感知上的差异。
Even though they may be on an unlimited data plan, there's still ways they perceive it.
但现在,我是说,
But now, I mean,
我能想象对那些认为‘是的,我可以通过在互联网上关注来赚钱’的人来说,这种感觉很真实。
I imagine it feels real to people that like, yeah, I can make money with my attention on the Internet.
对人们来说,这种感觉非常真实。
Like, it feels very real to people.
这很有趣,因为我们在全球有不同的广告费率等级——美国最容易吸引广告买家,英国和欧洲次之,依此类推。
It's so funny because we have different tiers of ad rate card around the world because it's easier to get ad buyers in The US and paying the most in The UK and Europe after and so on.
因此我们有很多来自低费率地区的粉丝,他们赚得没那么多,但这些收入对他们可能更有价值。
And so we have a lot of fans around the world who are in lower tier regions, they aren't making as much, but it may go a longer way for them.
我们并不是想让人暴富,也不是在搞拉高出货的把戏。
It isn't like we're trying to make people rich or we're doing a pump and dump.
我们试图让用户获得一个成长中企业70%的收益——如果你看看在线广告和数字广告领域,这个市场每年仍有超过3000亿美元的规模。
We're trying to make users get 70% of the revenue of a growing business that if you look at ad online and digital advertising, it's still 300,000,000,000 plus a year.
这是个巨大的市场。
That's a huge business.
如果我们能获得其中的1%,并把其中的70%分给用户,那就是21亿美元。
If we just get, you know, 1% of that and we share 70% of that with our users, It's at 2,100,000,000.0.
对吧?
Right?
为了让听众完全明白,我简明扼要地说:当一条广告展示给我时——这是通过Brave广告网络购买的广告,广告主愿意接受这种不搞复杂定向投放的方式。
So to be super crisp to make sure listeners understand it, an ad is displayed to me, and this is an ad that's purchased through the Brave ad network where the advertiser is willing to say, look, I know that this isn't gonna do a bunch of crazy targeting stuff.
这条广告只是投放在Brave广告网络上。
This is just going on to the Brave ad network.
用户观看广告后,该广告收入的70%会以基本注意力代币的形式出现在用户的钱包里。
A user views that ad, and then 70% of the revenue from that ad shows up in the user's wallet in the form of the basic attention token.
是的。
Yes.
不过当你说网络时,人们会想到追踪,因为网络有很多追踪方式。
Though when you say network, people think tracking because networks have lots of ways to track.
所以我们采取的做法是,通过一个链接将所有广告放入目录中,链接指向广告创意——可能是图片、网页或视频,这些内容存储在边缘缓存中。
So what we do instead is we put all the ads into a catalog through a link to the creative for the ad, the image or web page or video that's in an edge cache somewhere.
我们不认为这是敌对行为。
We don't consider that an adversary.
广告链接和相关关键词会被录入目录,该目录会以相同方式每天多次更新给每个地区的大量用户。
The link to the ad and some keywords about the ad go into a catalog, and the catalog gets updated to a large number of people in each region, and it gets updated several times a day the same way for everyone.
因此下载该目录并不会暴露你的身份。
So you are not identified by downloading that catalog.
这有点像获取安全的反钓鱼列表、安全浏览列表或反恶意软件网站列表。
It's kind of like getting a safe anti phishing list or a safe browsing list, anti malware site list.
这就是我们解决广告网络问题的方式——传统广告技术会在前端追踪你,甚至在决定展示什么广告之前就收集你所有数据。
And that's how we solve the problem of ad networks that today in conventional ad tech will track you on the front side and take all your data even before they've decided what ad to show you.
我们基于这个目录在浏览器内完成决策。
We do the decisioning in the browser based on this catalog.
所以之前提到的所有数据流上的机器学习都在浏览器内完成。
So all the machine learning on the mother of all data feeds I mentioned earlier is in browser.
顺便说一句,只有当你选择加入这个系统时才会启用。
It's only on if you opt into the system, by way.
默认情况下它是关闭的。
It's not turned on normally.
这就是广告匹配的功能。
And that's what does the ad matching.
我明白了。
I see.
是的。
Yeah.
我在想,2015、2016年时我确实为参与的一些初创公司在Facebook上购买广告,那时的定向精准程度简直不可思议。
So I'm wondering how I mean, I was definitely buying some ads on Facebook for startups I was involved with in twenty fifteen, sixteen, and it was unfreaking real, the level of targeting.
我的意思是,你甚至可以精准定位到某一个人。
I mean, you could target one person.
没错。
Yes.
作为广告主,你会觉得这简直是魔法。
And as an advertiser, you're like, this is magic.
我能精准获取我想要的客户。
I can acquire exactly the customers that I want.
关于 Bayt 播客
Bayt 提供中文+原文双语音频和字幕,帮助你打破语言障碍,轻松听懂全球优质播客。