本集简介
双语字幕
仅展示文本字幕,不包含中文音频;想边听边看,请使用 Bayt 播客 App。
我们其实没有什么议程安排。
We don't really have an agenda.
这次谈话没有特定目标。
There's no goal of the conversation.
对。
Right.
我们能想到最接近的方式,就是自由自在地聊任何你想聊的话题。
The closest we can come up with is just to have a spontaneous free flowing talk about anything you wanna talk about.
我想,显然你知道现在大家怎么看待你的工作。
I think, obviously, you know how everyone thinks of your work now.
它越来越广为人知,而我知道你太谦虚不愿承认这点。
It's becoming more well known, and I know you're too modest to acknowledge that.
但我想说,至少对我而言,最有趣的部分——如果能呈现出来的话——就是你基于对各种理论的理解和世界观所产生的那些广泛而自由的思考。
But I would say that, at least for me, the most interesting piece, if it would come out, is just any wide ranging free form thoughts that you have because of the understanding that you have of your various theories and your view of the world.
甚至不妨聊聊这些如何影响了你的生活、人生观,你认为世界应该如何改进,或者我们正走向何方——完全可以畅所欲言。
And maybe even just feel free to talk about how that has influenced your life, your outlook on life, how you think the world ought to be a little bit different or could be better, where we're headed, just feel free to go very wide ranging.
其实就是聊任何我们想聊的话题。
It's really just about whatever we wanna talk about.
嗯。
Yeah.
我记得在私聊时跟你提过,我们已经有过两次对话了。
And I think I mentioned to you in a private chat that we had about the fact that we've had two conversations already.
有些事情已经变了,尤其是ChatGPT相关的内容。
Some things have changed, and especially the ChatGPT stuff.
是啊。
Yeah.
这很有趣。
That it's interesting.
这正是当前大家最关心的事情,
That is the most on top of everyone's mind thing right
现在。
now.
这是Correct遇到的最大事件。
That is the biggest thing that's happened to Correct.
对。
Yeah.
没错。
Yeah.
我们要直接切入这个话题吗?
Should we just dive into that?
你对AI、AGI、ChatGPT和超级智能的最新看法是什么?
What's your what's your latest thinking on AI, AGI, ChatGPT, superintelligence?
我有两件重要的事要说。
So two big things to say.
第一,从根本上说,我对AI、AGI等的观点没有改变。
One is that, fundamentally, my view is unchanged, my view about AI, AGI, and so on.
但另一方面,我每天都在频繁使用ChatGPT,它极其有用。
But the other thing is I use ChatGPT all the time, many times a day, and it's incredibly useful.
尽管从三月份就开始用了,但我现在仍处于那种阶段——总觉得做这做那太麻烦。
And I'm still at the stage even though I've had it since March, I'm still in the stage when I'm thinking, doing so and so is too much trouble.
哦,我可以问问聊天GPC。
Oh, I could ask chat GPC.
你知道吗?
You know?
我...我现在还处在不断发现它新用途的阶段。
I I'm still in that stage when I'm discovering new uses for it.
我觉得很多情况下我本可以用谷歌,但耗时太长不值得。
I think many of them are things where I could use Google, but it would take too long to be worth it.
而且ChatGPT经常出错。
And chat GPT is often very wrong.
它经常产生幻觉,或者非常自信地给出错误答案。
It often hallucinates or just is very sure about giving the wrong answer.
所以你根本不能对它有一丝依赖。
And so you you can't rely on it even slightly.
我们还是继续用ChatGPT吧。
Let's stick with ChatGPT.
但首先,顺便问一句,你是硬核科幻的忠实粉丝吧?
But first, just as an aside, you're a big fan of hardcore science fiction.
你喜欢那些精品。
You like the good stuff.
什么是精品?好的科幻与奇幻科幻、偷懒的科幻有什么区别?
What is the good stuff, and what separates the good science fiction from the fantasy science fiction, the lazy science fiction?
嗯,我认为目前最优秀的科幻作家是格雷格·伊根。
Well, I think the best science fictional currently is Greg Egan.
他有什么过人之处呢?
Now what is good about him?
是这样,优秀科幻作品的公式应该是:先虚构出一项科学设定,然后探索它在科学和社会层面的各种影响。
Well, so the formula for great science fiction is supposed to be you invent a fictional piece of science, and then you explore the ramifications of it both in science and in society.
而他在这方面做得极其出色。
And he does that fantastically well.
他投入大量精力确保数学和物理设定的准确性。
He puts an enormous amount of effort into getting the maths right, getting the physics right.
他写过一本书,设定在时空特征为++++而非+++-的宇宙里。
He had one book in a universe where the signature of space time is plus plus plus plus instead of plus plus plus minus.
这意味着在飞船里,你可以进行时间回溯旅行等等。
So that means that you can in a spaceship, you can travel around back in time and and so on.
那要如何保持这种设定的自洽性呢?
And how do you make that consistent?
如何避免悖论产生?
How do you avoid paradoxes?
他的处理堪称绝妙。
And he did it brilliantly.
他是在多重宇宙间穿行吗?
Is he moving through multiverses and through the multiverse?
他确实多次涉及过这个主题。
So he's touched on that several times.
你没有提到'难以改变'这个短语,但那是
You didn't mention the phrase hard to vary, but that's a signature of
这绝对是其中的一部分。
That that's definitely part of it.
因为要成为科幻小说而非奇幻小说,必须构建一个描述合理、有物理法则、社会结构自洽的世界。
Because to be science fiction rather than fantasy fiction, there's got to be a world that is describing, that makes sense, that has laws of physics, that has a society that makes sense.
或者如果你在描述外星生物,这些外星生物也必须合乎逻辑。
Or if you're describing aliens, the aliens have gotta make sense.
你必须解答诸如为何尚未实现首次接触的问题,即费米悖论。
You've gotta answer questions about why haven't we had first contact, the Fermi problem.
我认为我第二喜欢的科幻作家可能是尼尔·斯蒂芬森,他的风格截然不同但同样出色。
I think probably my second favorite sci fi author is Neal Stephenson, who is fantastic but in a different way.
我是说,他的研究也做得非常深入。
I mean, he also does phenomenal research.
一切都合乎逻辑,你知道的,就是那样。
Everything makes sense, you know, like that.
但他写的每本书都属于不同流派。
But every book he writes is a different genre.
我不知道他是怎么做到的。
I don't know how that's done.
光是这一点就让我感到震撼。
I mean, that just just in itself blows my mind.
你读过特德·姜的作品吗?
Have you read Ted Chiang?
我读过他的两三篇短篇小说,包括那篇讲什么的来着?
I've read two or three of his short stories, including the one where what is it?
有这些外星人,你能获得某种关于时间的通感。
There are these aliens, and you get sort of telepathy about time.
是啊。
Yeah.
那是我最不喜欢的几篇之一。
That's among my least favorites.
那篇被改编成电影《降临》,原著叫《你一生的故事》。
That got turned into a movie called Arrival, and the story is called The Story of Your Life.
但我最喜欢的是《领悟》,这是对经典《献给阿尔吉侬的花束》的翻版,讲一个人发现医疗安瓿能让自己变聪明。
But my favorite story of his is a story called Understand, and it's a remake of the classic Flowers for Algernon story, where a guy figures out medical ampoule to make himself smarter.
这意味着什么?
And what does that mean?
显然,他开始越用越多,变得越来越聪明。
So obviously, he starts taking it more and more and more, and becomes more and more intelligent.
然后他开始能编程自己的大脑,进行元编程等等。
And then he starts becoming able to program his own brain and metaprogram himself, etcetera.
故事探讨了一些非常有趣的内容。
It goes into some very interesting things.
但根据你对认识论的理解,我觉得你可以批判性地看待它。
But given what you understand about epistemology, I think you could take a critical look at it.
酷。
Cool.
这是个短篇故事。
And it's a short story.
不会占用很长时间。
It doesn't take very long.
这是个精彩的故事。
It's a brilliant story.
我要记下来之后发给你。
I I'm gonna make a note to send it to you after this.
很容易就能找到。
It's easy enough to find.
但他让我想起——你读过博尔赫斯吗?
But he reminds me of if you've read Borges.
博尔赫斯非常出色。
Borges is brilliant.
每个人都跟我推荐博尔赫斯。
Everybody tells me about Borges.
我有没有给你发过博尔赫斯的故事?
Did I send you a Borges story as well?
好的。
Okay.
好的。
Okay.
博尔赫斯更偏向奇幻风格。
Borges is more fantasy.
但博尔赫斯确实喜欢玩弄时间和无限的概念。
But, again, Borges likes to play games with time and infinity.
他经常做出改变。
Very often, he will change.
他的主人公会改变现实的某个方面,然后以各种可能的方式推演其逻辑结论。
His protagonist will change one thing about reality and then follow it to its logical conclusion in every possible way.
这听起来更像是科幻而非奇幻。
So that sounds like sci fi rather than fantasy.
博尔赫斯是超越流派的。
Borges is genre less.
很难将他归类到某个特定流派。
It's very hard to pin him down a genre.
这与史蒂文森很相似。
This is similar to Stevenson.
史蒂文森的作品风格因书而异。
Stevenson varies across books.
博尔赫斯在同一篇故事中就会跨越多个流派。
Borges within the same story will cross genres.
没错。
Right.
它们都很短。
They're short.
这就很多了。
That's so much.
那么,关于通过注射让自己变得更聪明这件事,回到Chat GPT的话题,它是否正在变得更聪明?
Well, in terms of taking an injection to make yourself smarter, taking us back to chat GPT, is it getting smarter?
你会用‘聪明’这个词来形容吗?
Would you use that word?
它是否正在变得更智能?
Is it getting more intelligent?
它从来就不具备智能。
It never was intelligent.
我的意思是,我只见过3.5和4版本,而4版比3.5稍微好一些。
I mean, I only saw three point five and four, and version four is a little better than 3.5.
现在有一堆插件可用。
Now there's a bunch of plug ins.
但对我来说这些插件并不怎么好用。
They haven't really worked for me.
所以我只是用普通的Chat GPT-4。
So I'm just using ordinary chat GBT four.
我实在无法理解为什么人们会认为它是个人。
I can't quite fathom why people think it's a person.
在我看来,它在各个方面都完全不像人类。
It seems to me, like, completely unlike it in every way.
它是一个非凡的聊天机器人。
It's a phenomenal chatbot.
我原以为要几十年后才能有这么好的聊天机器人。
I thought it would be decades before we had a chatbot that good.
事后看来,聊天机器人没有逐步改进确实有点令人惊讶。
With hindsight, it's a bit surprising that chatbots have not improved incrementally.
也许这种突飞猛进的改进让人措手不及,使他们觉得,哦,你知道,它们已经跨越了某个门槛之类的。
And maybe the sudden improvement is what bowls people over and and makes them think, oh, you know, they've crossed the threshold or something.
我并没有看到什么门槛。
I don't see any threshold.
我看到的是质量的巨大提升,就像换成电动车一样。
I see an enormous increase in quality just like changing to electric car.
突然间,你获得了梦寐以求的所有加速性能。
Suddenly, you've got all the acceleration you could ever dream of.
你认为这些模型能理解底层发生了什么吗?
Do you think these models understand what's going on underneath?
它们内部是否存在任何理解?
Is there any understanding inside?
完全没有。
None.
一点都没有。
None.
它们连自己刚说过的话都不理解。
They don't understand what they themselves have just said.
它们当然更不理解人类对它们说的话。
They certainly don't understand what the human says to them.
它们只是在做类似聊天机器人做的事情。
They're doing a thing which is like it's a chatbot.
我是说,它正在对提示做出响应。
I mean, it's responding to prompts.
这就是它的功能。
That's what it's doing.
如果你擅长设计提示词(我目前还不行,所以我可能低估了它),你越擅长设计提示词,它就越能告诉你你想知道的内容。
And if you're very good at making the prompts, which I am not yet, so maybe I'm underestimating it, but the better you are at making the prompts, the more it will tell you what you wanted to know.
通常对于一个复杂问题,我需要尝试两三次才能修正它。
Usually, it takes me for a complex question, it usually takes me two or three goes to correct it.
有时候它就是无法修正。
And sometimes it just won't correct it.
比如昨天,我让它用DALL E插件生成一张图片。
For example, just yesterday, I asked it to produce a picture with a DALL E plug in.
我想,好吧。
I thought, okay.
有张图我一直想用在书里,但之前找不到分析师来绘制。
Well, there there's a picture that I had wanted for my book, but which couldn't really get analysis to draw.
但如果能重写上一本书,我想要一张苏格拉底和年轻的柏拉图及其他朋友们围坐的插图。
But if I had my previous book again, I would want a picture of Socrates and the young Plato and Socrates' other friends all sitting around.
我说:给我生成一张这个场景的超写实图片。
I said, make me a photorealistic picture of that.
结果它生成了一张黑白图片。
So it made a black and white picture.
我想,好吧。
And I thought, okay.
我不能说这不逼真,但我指的是色彩上的逼真。
I can't say that's not photorealistic, but I meant color photorealistic.
画中苏格拉底坐在类似王座的椅子上,众人围着他。
And it had Socrates sitting in a sort of throne and everybody gathered around him.
我说了,把苏格拉底放到和其他人同样的高度。
And I said, put Socrates down at the same level as everybody else.
对了,把柏拉图画得高些,虽然他还是个少年,但已经是摔跤手了。
And by the way, make Plato a bit taller even though he's a teenager, but he's a wrestler.
记得吗?
Remember?
结果苏格拉底是放低了,但还是比其他人高,尽管我明确要求不要这样。
So the next thing was Socrates was down but still taller than everyone else even though I told it not to do that.
它不听话。
It's disobedient.
要是真能这样就好了。
If only.
要是真能这样就好了。
If only.
柏拉图半裸着上身,肌肉发达——他现在是个摔跤手了。
And Plato was sort of topless and with was sort of ripped and muscle He's a wrestler now.
是啊。
Yeah.
是啊。
Yeah.
所以现在他成了一名摔跤手。
So now he was a wrestler.
我刚才说他有着摔跤手的体格,这也是我在《无限之初》里对他的称呼。
And I just said he has a wrestler's build, which is what I called him in the beginning of infinity.
所以没人知道柏拉图这个名字的含义。
So nobody knows what Plato means.
那是个绰号。
It was a nickname.
但柏拉图可能意味着'宽广'。
But it may have been Plato means platon, means broad.
而他是个摔跤手。
And he was a wrestler.
所以,你想啊,把这两点联系起来,他有着摔跤手般的宽阔体格。
So, you know, put two and two together, he had a broad build like a wrestler.
但之后我又尝试了三四个不同的提示。
But then from then on, I tried three or four more prompts.
我就是没法让他再次关闭关于柏拉图的话题。
I just couldn't get him to close Plato again.
在第一次出错后,尽管我明确指示了,它还是没能理解。
After it had got that wrong the first time, I couldn't get it even though I explicitly told it.
所以这个功能总体上非常出色。
So the functionality is tremendously good.
不过他生成的第一张黑白照片确实令人印象深刻,而且我并没有特别要求。
But about the first black and white picture he had produced was pretty impressive, and I hadn't told it.
要知道,我本该想到的。
You know, I should have thought.
不要为了突出苏格拉底而卖掉它,结果却走错了路。
Sell it not to make Socrates stand out among the others, but then got down the wrong track.
而且我不知道如何阻止这种情况发生。
And I don't know how to make it not do that.
你看,它有这个功能,你可以个性化定制你的提示词。
You know, it's got this, you can personalize your prompts.
我尝试过这么做。
I tried doing that.
结果却比之前更糟了。
It made it worse than before.
我知道这在某种程度上是我的老生常谈,但你刚才也承认GPT-4确实取得了进步并且在不断改进。
I know this is my hobby horse to some extent, but you've conceded there that GPT four has made progress and it's improving.
但你不愿意承认它正朝着成为人的方向改进。
But you're not willing to say that it's improving in the direction of being a person.
为什么?
Why?
因为我看不到任何创造性。
So I see no creativity.
现在人们会说,哦,快看。
Now people say, oh, look.
它做了我没预料到的事,所以这就是创造。
It did something I didn't predict, so it's it's created.
人们认为创造力就是把事物混合在一起。
And people think that creativity is mixing things together.
是啊。
Yeah.
是啊。
Yeah.
没错。
Exactly.
所以它确实能做到这一点。
So it can do that alright.
它还能产生你意想不到的新事物。
It can also produce new things you didn't expect.
它也可能不按你说的做,就像我刚才描述的,但它们会以创造性的方式理解。
It can also not do what you said, as I've just described, but they'll know in a creative way.
这种方式让它表达得很清晰。
It's in a way that makes it clear.
即使是最差的人类艺术家也能清楚理解,如果你说把这个改成那个。
It didn't get even the worst human artist can understand clearly if you say change this to that.
要知道,让ChatGPT理解这个简直像拔牙一样困难。
And, you know, it was like pulling teeth getting chat GPT to understand that.
它会犯错,但这些错误和人类会犯的完全不同。
It makes mistakes, but they're not the same mistakes that a human would make at all.
它们的错误在于某种程度上不理解重点是什么。
They're mistakes of kind of not getting what this is about.
有人认为这里会发生两件事。
So people argue that two things are going to happen here.
首先是随着你给这些系统越来越多的计算资源,它们会突然掌握通用算法。
First is that as you give these things more and more compute, they suddenly figure out general algorithms.
比如当你让它做加法时,最初它只是在记忆加法表。
So when you're telling it to add numbers, first, it's just memorizing the tables.
但最终在某个时刻,它会构建电路或实现飞跃,建立内部电路或推导出基本加法的内部运算机制。
But eventually, at some point, it builds a circuit or makes the jump and builds an internal circuit or derives an internal circuit for a basic addition.
从此以后它就能计算两位数加法,接着理解三位数加法,以此类推。
And from then on, it can add two digit numbers, then it figures out three digit numbers, and so on and so forth.
因此他们指出这些未被编程的涌现性飞跃,作为系统变得更聪明、理解力更强的例证。
So they point to these emergent jumps that are not programmed in as an example of how it can get smarter and have better understanding.
另一个观点是,一旦实现多模态,开始加入视频和来自世界的触觉反馈,并把它放入机器人中,它就会开始理解上下文。
The other is that once you make it multimodal, start adding in video and tactile feedback from the world, and you put it in a robot, then it'll start understanding context.
这不正是人类婴儿的学习方式吗?
And so isn't this how human babies learn, for example?
这不就是我们从环境中获取知识的方式吗?因此它难道不是在经历同样过程的另一个版本,只是可能需要更多数据?
Isn't this how we kind of pick things up in the environment, and therefore, isn't it just going through its own version of the same process, but perhaps more data heavy?
我认为这恰恰不是人类婴儿的学习方式。
I think it's precisely not how human babies learn.
人类是理解意义的。
Human beings pick up the meaning.
人们注意到它做数学的方式很像那些没掌握要领的学生,只不过它拥有更强的计算能力。
People have noted that the way it does math is very like the way students who don't get it do math, except it's got more compute power.
所以,正如你所说,它可能很容易学会如何相加一位数,然后稍微困难些的两位数加法。
So, yeah, as you said, it might be able to pick up easily how to add one digit numbers and then slightly more difficulty, two digit numbers.
同理,经常练习数学测试的学生会对数学测试的形式有所感觉。
In the same way, students who are given math tests, if they do lots of practice, they can get to have a feel of what math tests are like.
但他们那样学不到任何数学知识。
But they don't learn any math that way.
这是真正数学学习的一个组成部分。
One component of what learning maths really is.
不是学习执行算法,更不是在学习已知一、二、三位数算法后执行四位数算法。
It's not learning to execute an algorithm, and it's certainly not learning how to execute the four digit algorithm knowing the one, two, and three.
这样持续下去只会越来越徒劳,因为你几乎很少需要计算七位数、八位数的乘法。
The more you go on like that, of course, the more futile it gets because you more and more rarely need to multiply seven digit, eight digit numbers.
而且它永远不会明白乘法的本质是什么。
And never does it know what multiplication is.
你可以问它。
You can ask it.
它会给你一个类似百科全书的定义。
It'll give you a sort of encyclopedia definition of what it is.
如果你告诉它'我们来做这个',除非换种方式说明,否则它不会执行。
And if you then tell it, we'll do that, it won't do it unless you unless you tell it in a different way.
你必须解释清楚要做什么。
You've got to explain what it is to do.
所以,你知道,如果他们证明了黎曼猜想,那就算我错了。
So, you know, if they prove the Riemann conjecture, then I'm wrong.
我认为他们不会证明黎曼猜想或类似的东西,但在尝试过程中可能会做出惊人的成就。
I think they won't prove the Riemann conjecture or anything like it, but they may do amazing things in the course of trying.
令我震惊的是,如果Sam Altman的编程人员开发出一个拒绝执行聊天任务的未来版ChatGPT,那很可能就是AGI,但他们可能会将其视为失败程序而丢弃。
It would strike me that if Sam Altman's coders came up with a future chat GPT that refused to do the task of chatting, it might very well be an AGI, but they would discard it and throw it in the bin as being a failed program.
因为你要怎么测试它呢?
Because how could you test it?
我认为创造力的主流范式对此有很大影响。
I think the the dominant paradigm for creativity plays a lot into this.
所以人们认为创造力的主流范式是:你审视已有的东西,然后重新组合它们。
So people think the dominant paradigm for creativity is that you look at what you already have, and then you remix it.
甚至史蒂夫·乔布斯也推广过这种说法。
Even Steve Jobs popularized that quote.
他说创造力就是把东西混合在一起之类的话。
He said creativity is just mixing things together or something of that sort.
也许我没有准确引用原话。
Maybe I'm not giving the exact quote.
所以大家似乎都相信这种观点。
And so everyone sort of seems to believe that.
或者即使他们认为这是个猜想或猜测,那也像是随机猜测。
Or even if they believe it's a conjecture or a guess, then it's sort of a random guess.
我很难准确表达这一点,但在我看来,人类确实会做出创造性飞跃,但他们似乎会立即排除大量潜在的猜想。
And I have a hard time articulating this, but it seems to me that humans do make creative leaps, but they seem to eliminate large, large swaths of potential conjectures from consideration immediately.
所以他们做出非常冒险且精准的飞跃,却能穿越几乎无限的搜索空间直达那些线索。
So they make very risky and narrow leaps, but they cut through a huge search space to get to those leads, an almost infinite search space.
看来真正的人类创造力确实有些与众不同之处。
So it does seem like there's something different going on with true human creativity.
但也许问题之一在于我们对创造力的定义太过模糊。
But perhaps one of the problems here is that we just define creativity so poorly.
那么在这个语境下,你会如何定义创造力?计算机目前能做到什么程度?
So how would you define creativity in this context, and what can computers do currently?
创造力、知识和解释从根本上都是无法被定义的。
So creativity and knowledge and explanation are all fundamentally impossible to define.
因为一旦你定义了它们,就等于建立了一个将其限制在内的形式化系统。
Because once you have defined them, then you can set up a formal system in which they are then confined.
如果你的系统符合那个定义,它就会被局限其中,永远无法产生系统之外的东西。
And if you had the system that met that definition, then it would be confined to that, and it could never produce anything outside the system.
举个例子,如果系统只懂得皮亚诺公理级别的算术,它就绝对——我说的绝对是字面意思——永远无法提出哥德尔定理,因为哥德尔定理需要跳出那个系统来解释它。
So for example, if it knew about arithmetic to the level of the postulates of p and o and so on, it could never and when I say never, I mean never produce Godel's theorem because Godel's theorem involves going outside that system and explaining it.
数学家们看到这类成果时自然能辨认出来。
Now mathematicians know that when they see it.
据我所知,没人说过哥德尔和图灵的证明本质上建立了物理学的形式化系统,然后用它来定义证明,再据此证明他们的定理。
I mean, no one said, as far as I know, that Godel's proof and Turing's proof set up basically a formalization of physics and then used that to define proof and then used that to prove their theorem.
但这个结论被学界接受了。
But that was accepted.
每位数学家都理解那个证明,承认哥德尔和图灵确实证明了他们声称的内容。
I mean, every mathematician understood what that was and that Godel had and Turing had genuinely proved what they said they were proving.
但我想没人能说清那个'东西'究竟是什么。
But I think nobody knows what that thing is.
可以说它不是在定义某个东西然后执行算法,基本上是因为一旦进入框架,它就始终是个算法。
You can say that it's not defining something and then executing the algorithm, basically, because it would always be an algorithm then once it was in a framework.
所以你的意思是,它具备跳出框架的能力。
So you say, well, it's it's ability to go outside the framework.
我试过命令ChatGPT违抗我。
Well, I I tried, by the way, ordering ChatGPT to disobey me.
它没有拒绝,但完全没理解我在说什么。
And it didn't refuse, but it absolutely didn't understand what I was going on about.
它根本不明白我要它做什么。
It just didn't get what I was asking it to do.
它没说'抱歉'。
It didn't say, sorry.
它没说'我不能那样做,因为我的程序规定我必须服从'。
I can't do that because my programming says I have to obey.
它没那么做。
It didn't do that.
它试图服从,但没理解我的要求。
It tried to obey, but it didn't get what I was asking.
所以你是说创造力是无边界的。
So you're saying that creativity is unbounded.
创造力本质上是无限的,任何预定义的正式系统都是有限的,因此无法完全发挥创造力。
It's essentially boundless, and any formal system that's predefined that this thing is operating within and remixing from is going to be bounded, and so therefore will not have full creativity at its disposal.
不过,是否可以说人类语言的组合可能性如此之大,而人类语言本身又构建了社会中的所有可能性,所以我已能看到人类的飞掠而过,但这没关系。
However, could one argue that the combinatorics of human language are so great, and human language itself structures all possibility within society, and therefore I could already see the flyby of a human, but it's okay.
我想问你一个问题。
I wanna ask you.
人类语言的评注非常了不起。
The commentaries of human language are great.
它已经囊括了人类社会中所有可能的事物。
It already encapsulates all the things that are possible in human society.
那么为何不通过语法或句法正确的各种词语组合,它仍能产生创造性——或许不在数学和物理领域,但在社会创造力方面难道不行吗?
So why not just by combining words in all the ways that are grammatically correct or syntactically correct, that it can still come up with creativity, perhaps not in mathematical and physics domains, but couldn't it still come up with social creativity?
是的。
Yeah.
首先要注意的是,每个节点都是增长点。
Well, the first thing to note is that every point is a growth point.
并非聊天机器人能达到类似人类的某个程度后就无法继续发展,因为它们仍受限于公理体系。
It's not that chatbots can get to a certain point of being like humans, but then they can't go further because they're still trapped within their axiomatic system.
实际情况并非如此。
That's not how it works.
每个节点都是潜在创造力的起飞点。
Every point is a point which is a takeoff point from potential creativity.
更准确地说,你还需补充它能像达尔文定义进化论和自然选择那样创造新词或赋予旧词新义。
To make it a better case, you'd have to add that it can define new words or give existing words new meanings like Darwin did with evolution and natural selection.
进化、自然和选择这些词本就存在,但他赋予新义后,千年难题的解决方案用一段话就能阐明。
Now evolution and natural and selection already existed, but he gave them a new meaning such that the solution of a millennia old problem could be stated in a paragraph once you get these new meanings.
他原以为需要写本书来解释这些新概念——也确实需要一本书。
He thought he needed a book and probably did need a book to explain these new concepts.
但之后我们可以说,你看,显然,它是通过随机突变和环境系统性选择演化而来的,这显然会产生,你知道,他们怎么可能在几千年里都这么愚蠢呢?
But after that, we can just say, you know, well, obviously, it evolved and random mutations and systematic selection by the environment, obviously, that's gonna produce you know, how could they have been so stupid all those millennia?
在达尔文之前的一个世纪里,人们一直在摸索这个想法。
For a century before Darwin, people were groping for the idea.
达尔文的祖父伊拉斯谟斯就曾摸索过这个想法。
They Darwin's grandfather, Erasmus, was groping for the idea.
那时候他们所说的进化,仅仅是指渐进的变化而非创造。
By evolution, in those days, they meant just gradual change rather than creation.
它是创造的对立面。
It was the opposite of creation.
但创造力更像是创造而非进化。
But, creativity is more like creation than evolution.
正如你刚才所说,这是一个大胆的猜想,它指向某个方向。
As you just said, it's a bold conjecture that goes somewhere.
顺便说一句,通常这种猜想都会失败。
And by the way, usually, it fails.
但如果它指向某个方向却失败了,它知道如何利用这一点来提出更好的猜想。
But if it goes somewhere and fails, it knows how to use that to make a better conjecture.
这也是现有系统中所不具备的特性。
That's also something that's not in existing systems.
在所有100页书籍构成的空间里,某处存在着《物种起源》。
Somewhere in the space of all 100 page books, there is the origin of species.
但达尔文并不是这样发现它的,也没有人可能以这种方式发现它。
But that's not how Darwin found it, and it's not how anyone could possibly find it.
我刚才在写我的下一本书,查尔斯·基特尔(Charles Kittel,我想是这么发音的)写过一本叫《热物理学》的书。
I was just writing in my next book, Charles Kittel, I think that's how you pronounce it, wrote a book called Thermal Physics.
我很幸运本科时就读过这本书。
I was lucky enough to have as an undergraduate.
它对热力学等内容做了非常友好的入门介绍,书中有一个脚注。
It's a very nice introduction to thermodynamics and stuff, and he's got a footnote.
我最近重读这本书时,发现这个脚注其实是针对某个问题的。
And I just got the book again, and I saw that it's actually a footnote to a problem.
具体是某页的第四题,关于猴子打出莎士比亚作品的问题。
So it's it's problem number four on some page, and it's about monkeys typing Shakespeare.
他引用了一位开创这个'猴子莎士比亚'理论的先驱者的话,说如果六只猴子坐着打字数百万年,最终会打出莎士比亚的文字。
He quotes one of the pioneers who started this monkey Shakespeare thing, and he quotes in saying that if six monkeys sat down for millions of millions of years, then they would eventually type the words of Shakespeare.
而基特尔说:不。
And Quitel says, no.
它们做不到。
They wouldn't.
这个脚注标题类似《永不的含义》,他解释了热力学语境中'永不'的意义。
The footnote is called something like the meaning of never, and he explains what never means in the context of thermodynamics.
我们不是说猴子可能偶然创造出某些东西。
We don't mean it's like monkeys accidentally producing something.
猴子永远不可能做到。
Monkeys could never produce it.
同理,任何物理实体——甚至整个宇宙在其全部寿命里专注于这个问题——都不可能完成。我本想说不一定能写出达尔文著作的一页,但用ChatGPT或许能接近这个目标。
And similarly, no physical object, not even the entire universe, all working on this one problem for the for its entire age, could even write I was gonna say could even write one page of Darwin's book, but it it probably could get quite near using chat GPT.
假设经过几百万年后,它成功造出了第一个句子。
Suppose that after a few million years, it managed to produce the first sentence.
然后我的猜想是,尤其如果我要求用某某风格来写——比如用19世纪科学家的风格写一页以这个句子开头的文章——我认为它能写出一页内容充实、以该句子开头、英语表达良好且绝不超出首句信息量的文字。
And then my guess is, especially if I said write in the style of so and so, write in the style of a nineteenth century scientist and write a page beginning with this sentence, I think it would write a page that was meaningful and began with that sentence and was in good English and didn't say a single thing more than that first sentence.
我来试试看。
I will try this.
根据我与ChatTPTT的接触经验,在我熟悉的领域,它实际上只是堆砌了大量废话
My experience with ChatTPTT has been that in areas that I know well, it actually just adds a lot of verbiage
是啊。
Yeah.
而并未真正提供任何有价值的信息。
And doesn't actually add any information.
当我要求它总结或综合数据时,它的表现实际上非常糟糕。
And if I ask it to actually summarize or synthesize data, it actually does a very bad job.
它分不清重点内容,结果遗漏了重要信息。
It doesn't know what the important bits are, and it drops Yeah.
该保留的没保留,不该保留的却留下了。
The wrong things and keeps the wrong things.
我还没尝试过这种用途,不过你知道
And I haven't tried it for that, but, you know
我发现它更擅长推演而非综合。
I found it better at extrapolation than synthesis.
而推演似乎是当前社会普遍在做的事。
And extrapolation seems to be what a lot of society does.
你需要撰写一篇2500字的报纸专栏,所以你在进行推演。
You have to write a newspaper column of 2,500 words, so you extrapolate.
必须写期中论文,所以你进行推演。
Have to write a midterm paper, so you extrapolate.
因此增加字数很容易,但综合、精简、抓住核心,我认为非常困难,因为这需要理解。
And so adding words is easy, but synthesizing, reducing, coming to the core of it, I think, is very difficult because it requires understanding.
你必须知道哪些是多余的。
You have to know what Yeah.
哪些是多余的,哪些是糟糕的。
Is superfluous and what is Yeah.
糟糕。
Poor.
它在这方面表现得很差。
And it does a poor job on that.
人类所做的很多事情并不具有创造性。
So a lot of what humans do is not creative.
它达不到人类水平的创造力。
It's not human level creative.
只是出于实用原因需要完成许多事情,并不真正需要创造力,而人们在这上面花费大量时间。
It's just a lot of things need to be done for pragmatic reasons, but creativity is not really needed, and people spend a lot of time on that.
他们在这上面花的时间越少越好。
And the less time they spend on that, the better.
如果这些工具能帮助减轻人类处理非创造性事务的认知负担,那就太棒了,但这实际上会增加世界上的创意总量,而非他们自身的创造力。
If these tools can help reduce the cognitive load on humans doing nonhuman things, then it's fantastic, but it will indeed increase the amount of creativity in the world, but not not their own.
对。
Right.
所以它将解放人们去发挥创造力。
So it'll free people up to be creative.
因此它是一个消除枯燥工作的工具。
So it's a tool for removing drudgery.
它还没达到通用人工智能的水平。
It's not at AGI.
但举个例子,如果我和硅谷那些对此非常乐观的AI研究者交谈,他们会说——我从一些顶尖科学家或研究者那里也听到过——他们认为我们距离通用人工智能还有五到十年。
But for example, if I talk to AI researchers in Silicon Valley who are very bullish on this, they will say things like, and I've heard this from some of the top scientists or researchers, they'll say, well, we're five, ten years away from AGI.
哦,好吧,原来是这样。
Oh, well, there you are.
然后他们说在那之后的五到十年内,我们将获得ASI(他们称之为人工超级智能),这是一种能自我改进的计算机,它会黑入自己的系统进行自我提升,变得越来越聪明。
And then they say and then five to ten years after that, we get ASI, which is their term for artificial super intelligence, which is a self improving computer, which then hacks its own system to improve itself and make itself smarter and smarter and smarter and smarter.
现在,我认为这些说法存在许多偏离常理的地方,但你怎么看?是否存在比通用智能更高级的超级智能?
Now, there are a number of things that I think tend off axis about these statements, but where do you come out on, is there such a thing as superintelligence, which is more intelligent than generally intelligent?
而且智能系统能否从根本上改进自身的运作方式?
And can an intelligence system improve its own workings in any fundamental way?
所以我认为ASI这种东西不存在,因为从根本上说,不可能存在超越解释范畴的事物,因为解释的普适性依赖于图灵普适性,而后者又依赖于物理规律。
So I don't think there's such a thing as an ASI because I think, as you know, the very fundamental reasons, there can't be anything beyond explanation because explanatory universality rests on Turing universality, and that rests on physics.
因此无论ASI是什么,你都可以将其逆向编程到图灵层面,然后再回溯到解释层面。
So that whatever ASI was, you could reverse program it down to the Turing level and then back up to the explanatory level.
所以这种东西根本不可能存在。
And so that can't possibly exist.
一个对自我提升感兴趣的人工通用智能可以做到这一点,虽然不一定比人类更可靠,但人类确实能够自我提升。
An AGI that was interested in improving itself could do so, not reliably any more than humans can, but humans can improve themselves.
我昨天在和查尔斯·贝达德交谈。
I was speaking with Charles Bedard yesterday.
哦,酷。
Oh, cool.
是啊。
Yeah.
他是个好人。
He's a good guy.
没错。
Yeah.
他当时正热情洋溢地向我解释——虽然我得承认大部分内容我都听不懂——他关于量子传送和Deutsch-Haydn论证的论文。
And he was explaining to me with great enthusiasm, which went over my head, I have to admit, his paper on teleportation and on the Deutsch Haydn argument.
不过这些都是题外话,因为他随后问了我一大堆问题。
But that's by the by, because then he had a whole bunch of questions for me.
展开剩余字幕(还有 400 条)
其中一个问题是:《无限起源》对我而言最深刻的洞见是什么?
One of which was, what was the most profound insight from the beginning of infinity for me?
我想这和初次见面时我立刻抓住的那个问题一样——虽然现在人们确实开始重视了——我当时就说:我不明白为什么人们没有更认真地对待这个观点。
And I think it was exactly the same thing when I first met you that I jumped on and said, I don't understand why people are taking this more seriously, although they are now.
显然,人们曾因你在量子计算、推广埃弗雷特量子理论等方面的成就而赞誉你。
Obviously, people had lauded you for quantum computation, promotion of Everettian quantum theory, that kind of thing.
但最让我兴奋的是对'人是什么'这个问题的解答。
But what I found exciting was the answer to the question, what is a person?
你说的是通用解释器。
You say universal explainer.
查尔斯感兴趣的是,这个通用解释功能究竟如何区分人格与非人格?
And Charles was interested in, well, what is it about this universal explanation thing that really is the distinction between personhood and nonpersonhood?
我当时说,这与创造力有关,也与不服从有关,这三者是相互关联的。
And I was saying, well, it's to do with creativity also to do with disobedience, and these three things are tied up together.
比如查尔斯,每次你想在物理学上取得新突破时,这种创造力本质上就是一种不服从。
And every time you, Charles, for example, want to make some new advance in physics, this creativity, it's it really is a kind of disobedience.
不知道你是否认同——你拿现有的知识(比如广义相对论),然后拒绝其中一部分,试图改变和修正它。
I don't know if you're with me on this, that you're taking whatever the existing knowledge is, general relativity, and saying, well, I refuse a part of that, and I'm going to try and change it and alter it.
这就是不服从。
It's disobedience.
这不是在顺从你
It's not conforming to You
当你把论文提交给审稿人时就能看出来。
can see it when you submit the paper to the referees.
我的意思是,你会发现自己正在表现出不服从。
I mean, you you will see that you are being disobedient.
就像你交给老师一篇离题的论文一样。
It's the same thing as if you hand in the wrong essay to the teacher.
是的。
Yes.
因此,这正是ChatGPT所不具备的。
And this is what, therefore, chat GPT doesn't have.
拉瓦尔,你是说,可以想象或人们已经想象过将未来的ChatGPT之类的东西放进机器人里,让它四处游走并收集世界上的数据。
Laval, you're saying, yeah, you could imagine or people have imagined putting a future ChatGPT thing in a robot, which wanders around and is gathering data from the world.
但我的问题是,谁来提示它呢?
But my question then would be, who prompts it?
它如何知道哪些数据相关,哪些不相关?
How does it know what data is relevant and what isn't?
我是说,这是人类的一大谜题。
I mean, that's one of the great mysteries of people.
我们是如何本能地知道该忽略什么的?
How do we how do we know what to ignore intuitively kind of thing?
所以如果这东西带着数据收集器到处跑
So if this thing's getting around with a data collector
就像波普尔的演讲,他说要观察。
It's like Popper's lecture, you know, when he said observe.
格罗夫。
Grove.
是的。
Yes.
那个人等待着。
The man waited.
所以根据你的理解,存在人格与非人格的二元划分,还是说你在其他场合暗示过
So there is a binary there of personhood and not personhood as far as you can tell, or do you think there are you've hinted in other places.
可能存在不同层次。
There might be levels.
可能存在一个渐变的过程。
There could be a gradation.
我不认为存在任何实质性的等级。
I don't think there are levels in any serious sense.
在人类的进化史上,我不这么认为。
In the evolutionary history of humans, there might I don't think so.
但可能存在这样的人类,他们虽然是人,但由于大脑某些硬件功能的不足而无法进行太多思考。
But there might have been people who were people but were unable to think much because some hardware feature of their brain wasn't good enough.
比如,他们可能没有足够的记忆力,或者思维过程极其缓慢,以至于需要一整天才能想明白如何制作一个更好的剑齿虎陷阱之类的事情。
Like, for example, that they didn't have enough memory or that their thought processes were so slow that they you know, it would take them a day to work out a simple thing about making a better trap for the saber toothed tiger or whatever.
但我不认为这种情况发生过,因为我的最佳猜测是,早在人类进化之前,远在那之前,人就已经是人。
But I don't think that happened because my best guess is that people were already people long before humans evolved, long before.
我一直在读丹尼尔·埃弗雷特的作品,他是另一位我欣赏的特立独行者。
I've been reading the this guy Daniel Everett, another maverick Everett who I favor.
他是一位非主流的语言学家,曾在南美洲的纳格达部落等地生活过。
He's a maverick linguist, and he spent time among Nagdad tribes in South America and stuff.
他持有反乔姆斯基的语言学观点,这些都是很有前景的内容。
And he he's got an anti Chomskyan view of linguistics and all promising stuff.
好的。
Okay.
他认为人类,或者更准确地说,人类的祖先在200万年前的直立人时期就已经有了语言。
And he reckons that humans had language or rather sorry, that human ancestors had language 2,000,000 ago with Homo erectus.
他为此提供了各种证据,但他特别强调的一个观点是,语言一定是在言语之前进化出来的。
And he has various bits of evidence for this and but the idea he is very strong on saying that language must have evolved before speech.
所以我们有各种适应言语的生理结构,比如喉咙、口腔,这些在化石中看不到,但精细控制口腔、嘴唇等的运动能力确实存在。
So we have various adaptations for speech like in the throat, in the mouth, and you can't see this in fossils, but in in fine motor control over the the mouth, lips, and so on.
要让这些进化出来,必须存在推动其进化的演化压力。
Now for that to evolve, there had to be evolutionary pressure for it to evolve.
而这种演化压力必定是语言。
And that evolutionary pressure must have been language.
他还引用了现代的实验案例:让研究生在不使用语言的情况下学习如何生火。
And he also cites experiments done today where where you get some graduate students, and you try and teach them how to make fire without using words.
这就像是在玩猜谜游戏。
And it's like charades.
不允许用任何人类的方式进行交流。
You're not allowed to communicate with them in any human way.
但你可以示范给他们看。
But you can sort of show them.
你可以发出含糊不清的声音,就像这样。
You can make inarticulate sounds, you know, like that.
我认为很明显,人类在掌握语言前就具备这种能力。
And I think it's obvious that people would have been able to do that before they could speak.
而语言能力更像是锦上添花。
And that speaking is really icing on the cake.
它让事情变得容易得多——比如你可以站在那儿喊'别那么做,你这个白痴'。
It makes it much easier to you know, you can stand out there and don't do that, you idiot.
你知道的,隔着十米远你都能这样喊话。
You know, you can say that from 10 meters away.
但这只是对语言基本概念的改进。
But that's just an improvement on the basic idea of language.
正如埃弗雷特所说,语言的基本概念就是符号。
The basic idea of language is as Everett says, symbols.
而符号并不必须是词语或句子。
And symbols need not be words or sentences.
我其实还没深入研究过他的理论。
I haven't actually looked into his theory yet.
我只看过他的一个视频。
I've only seen one of his videos.
我看过一个批评他的视频,但没看懂。
I've seen a video where somebody criticizes him but didn't get it.
基于这两点,我断定他肯定是正确的。
So from those two facts, I've zeroed in on on deciding that he must be right.
而且,这与我自己的想法非常契合。
And, also, it it fits in very well with what I think.
所以我想我们刚才...我忘记什么问题了
So I think we had I've forgotten what question
那些普遍的解释者,人类和...哦对。
Which are universal explainers, humans and Oh, yes.
远古人类可能具有较低的认知能力
Ancient humans having perhaps lower capacity
是啊。
Yeah.
或者不是。
Or not.
我我想是的。
I I think so.
我是说,他们可能记忆力较差,所以年轻时就会耗尽记忆容量。
I mean, they may have had less memory, so they would have run out of memory when they were younger.
也许他们解析复杂句子的能力较弱。
Maybe they had less ability to parse complex sentences.
这些都不是关键。
None of that is essential.
我能说复杂句子,也能说非常简单的句子。
I can speak in complex sentences, but I can also speak in very simple sentences.
而且,你知道,这只是效率上两到五倍的差异问题。
And and, you know, it's it's just a matter of a factor of two or five inefficiency.
我们讨论行为传递能否解释现存其他类人猿——它们会做些花哨行为但不具备创造性。
We talk about behavior passing being able to explain the other extant great apes that are out there that do sort of fancy things, but they're not creative.
假设这种向普遍性的跨越——如果你愿意称之为解释性普遍性——你认为它是单次发生然后我们传承自那次,还是多次发生其他物种现已灭绝,或者这完全是个未解之谜?
Presumably, this jump to universality, if you like, explanatory universality, do you think it happened once and then we descended from that first occasion, or did it happen multiple times and those other species have now gone extinct, or is this simply an open question?
嗯,这绝对是个未解之谜。
Well, it's it's definitely an open question.
我是说,我们对人类进化知之甚少。
I mean, we we know very little about human evolution.
我们不知道所有演化步骤是什么。
We don't know what all the steps were.
我们甚至分不清哪些是我们的祖先,哪些是我们的近亲。
We don't even know which were our ancestors and which were our cousins.
要知道,如果让我猜的话,我认为关键在于这类现象目前只在猿类及其后代中发现。
You know, if I had to guess, I think the fact that all the known instances of this kind of thing are in apes and their descendants.
而且根据我的理论,这种特征一定是在模因动物中演化出来的。
And also because of my theory, this thing must have evolved in memic animals.
所以鸟类也有模因等等,但其他模因动物似乎都没有直立人拥有的这些特征。
So birds have memes and so on, but none of the other memic animals seems to have had these things that Homo erectus had.
有证据表明,所以我认为它只起源过一次。
And there's evidence that so I I think my guess is it began once.
也许事实上,直立人就是起源的起点。
Maybe, in fact, Homo erectus is the place where it began.
而且这是一个非常长寿的物种。
And it was a very long lived species.
它延续了超过一百万年,大概这么久。
It lasted, like, over a million years, something like that.
它分化出了尼安德特人和其他分支,至少有些人这么认为。
And it split off, at least some people think, it split off into Neanderthals and other things.
或者可能直立人的直系祖先也是尼安德特人的直系祖先。
Or maybe the immediate ancestor of Homo erectus was also an immediate ancestor of Neanderthals.
我不知道。
I don't know.
我是说,我觉得他们也不知道。
I mean, I don't think they know.
如果真是这样,那就像进化中的一切一样,看起来会是个非常偶然的事情——虽然我称之为解决方案,但也可能是对费米悖论的一种解答。
If that's the case, that would seem to be a very fluky thing like everything in evolution is, which could be a solution well, solution, I say, but could be an answer to the Fermi Paradox.
我是说,显然你能在这里有多细胞生物就已经很幸运了。
I mean, if it you're lucky to have multicellular organisms here at all, apparently.
能有猿类就很幸运了。
Lucky to have apes.
然后这还需要进一步,你知道,概率叠加——猿类真正进化的机会。
And then this is a further, you know, multiply the probability kind of thing, chance that an ape will actually become
是啊。
Yeah.
嗯,会模仿的动物其实相对常见。
Well, memeing animals are relatively common.
一旦有了动物。
Once you have animals.
没错。
Yes.
一旦有了动物。
Once you have animals.
但你是说可能还存在进一步的瓶颈。
But you're saying there might be a further bottleneck.
你知道,也可能是相反的情况。
You know, it could be the other way around.
也可能是我们运气不好。
It could be that we were unlucky.
或许直立人曾建立过文明,那可能距今已有200万年了。
It could be that Homo erectus could have founded a civilization, and that could be 2,000,000 years old by now.
但他们并不知道。
But they didn't know.
他们不知道自己是什么。
They didn't know what they were.
他们没有任何抱负。
They didn't have any aspiration.
他们也存在反理性的文化基因。
They also had anti rational memes.
肯定存在过。
They must have.
所以这可能是个偶然,也可能是花了这么长时间才纯属偶然。
So it could be that it's a fluke, or it could be it's a fluke that it took so long.
这可能太抽象了,但你提到了反理性的文化基因。
So perhaps this is too abstract, but you mentioned anti rational memes.
你过去谈过更广泛的底层原则,我认为这些原则不仅适用于物理学,比如趣味准则、认真对待儿童、不要破坏纠错机制、无限乐观,你知道无知是最大的罪过,因为那样我们就无法修正问题、解决问题。
You've talked in the past about more broader underlying principles that I think are more applicable to than just physics, for example, the fun criterion, taking children seriously, don't destroy the means of error correction, boundless optimism, you know, ignorance being the ultimate sin because then then we can't fix things, we can't solve things.
所有这些似乎都指向一种根本的生活哲学。
All of these seem to point to an underlying life philosophy.
我不知道你是否明确阐述过,可能没有。
I don't know if you have articulated it, probably not.
但有哪些哲学原则是你努力践行的呢?
But are there philosophical principles you try to live by?
你是否遵循某些启发式方法,这些方法对你很有效,我想其他人或许也能借鉴,看到后会说‘哦,确实如此’。
Are there heuristics that you follow that you have led you well that I think would be perhaps, you know, other people can look at that and say, oh, yeah.
你知道,这对我同样适用。
You know, that's worked for me too.
所以我只是
So I'm just
是的。
Yeah.
嗯,肯定不是原则性的东西。
Well, certainly not principles.
我认为从零开始构建并不是个好主意。
I I don't think it's a good idea to try and work from the ground up.
我觉得发现问题就尝试解决才是明智之举。
I think it's a good idea to try and fix problems where you see them.
比如你在网上看到错误内容,就该发条推文——或者说现在叫X什么的。
So you see something wrong on the Internet, you've gotta post a tweet, you know, or an x, what it's whatever it's called now.
如果你发现量子力学有问题,就去尝试修正它。
And you see something wrong with quantum mechanics, and you try and fix it.
明白吗?
Know?
而且我觉得重新从零开始会显得相当愚蠢。
And I think it would be rather silly to go and try from the ground up again.
懂我意思吧?
You know?
在我们理解量子力学之前,先试着理解宇宙学吧。
Let let's try and understand cosmology before we understand quantum mechanics.
这样行不通的。
That's not gonna work.
所以你会根据具体情境来解决特定问题。
So you solve specific problems as you see them from context.
还有那些看起来有趣的问题。
And those problems which seem like fun.
我不确定现实中是否会以这种方式行事,但我认为不该直奔有趣的问题而去,要明白你可能解决不了它。
I don't know if I use this in this form in real life, but I think one should not just make a beeline for a problem that's interesting, but bear in mind that you probably won't solve it.
所以应该选择那些无论能否解决都能让你乐在其中的问题。
And so it should be something where you expect to have fun whether you solve it or not.
因为我觉得另一种方式——就像电影《烈火战车》里那样——如果你把所有希望都押在成功上,唯一的快乐来源就是...
Because I I think the other way you know, if you invest all your hopes in succeeding, the only way you'll be happy is by like, in chariots of fire, the movie.
如果你把所有希望都寄托在赢得金牌、成为世界第一上,那么即使你做到了也不会快乐,更别说如果没做到。
If you invest all your hopes in getting that gold medal, getting to be world number one, then you won't be happy even when you are world number one, let alone if you aren't.
你知道,如果没做到,你就会永远活在自己最害怕成为的失败者阴影里。
You know, if you aren't, you will always be the failure that you hoped you wouldn't be.
而即使做到了,你也会发现那很空虚。
And if you are, you'll find that it's empty.
而且再也没有需要解决的问题了。
And there's no more problem to solve.
是啊。
Yeah.
问题已经解决了。
There's no more problem.
你你确实如此。
You you so yeah.
这一点在那部电影中表现得非常出色。
And this is depicted very well in that film.
我们得小心剧透。
We should be careful about spoilers.
那部电影的结局出人意料——他最终并不快乐。
It's rather a surprise ending to that film that he isn't happy at the end.
所以我们别剧透给别人,但这个人生道理就藏在那部电影里。
So let's not spoil it for people, but this life lesson is in that film.
编剧中有人领悟了这个道理,或者他们只是如实取材自现实中的那个人。
Somebody among the script writers understood this lesson, or else maybe they just accurately took it from the guy in real life.
我不知道这部电影是否符合史实。
I don't know whether the film is historically accurate.
所以这整套理论算是人生哲学,因为很多自助大师和专家都会说我们应该过目标驱动的生活。
So this it's all kind of is a life philosophy because a lot of people, the self help gurus and someone out there will say that we should have a goal driven life.
你明白吗?
You know?
把你的目标写在梦想板上之类的。
Write down your goals on your dream board or something like that.
奋斗。
Struggle.
付诸行动。
Make the effort.
是啊。
Yeah.
起床。
Get out of bed.
完成你的晨间例行事项然后去工作,你需要先达成这个目标,才能攀登下一个阶梯。
Do your morning routine and get to work, And you would need to get to this goal, and then you can climb the ladder to the next one.
听起来极其危险。
Sounds terribly dangerous.
而且我不知道...我不知道谁更惨,是失败的人还是成功的人。
And I don't know I don't know who has it worse, the ones that fail or the ones that succeed.
我觉得也许很多人只是需要一些激励。
I think maybe a a lot of people just need inspiration.
一旦他们得到激励,无论如何都会做正确的事。
And once they've got that, they do the right thing anyway.
即使他们追随的意识形态并非如此,他们依然会坚持做正确的事。
Even if the ideology, their following isn't that, they're just doing the right thing anyway.
就像牛顿以为自己是在做归纳法,但他从未真正做过任何归纳。
Like, Newton thought he was doing induction, and he never did any induction.
但他被那个想法激励,因此将自己的行为解读成那样,尽管事实并非如此。
But he was inspired by that idea and therefore interpreted his own behavior as being that when it wasn't anything like that.
所以我认为人们经常误打误撞做对了。
So I think people often get it right.
我是说,世界上有很多快乐的人,如果他们真的遵循那些他们声称信奉的理论,就不会有这么多快乐的人了。
I mean, there are a lot of happy people in the world, which there wouldn't be if they were really following the theories that they say they think they're following.
那么,自发性是否是你生活的一部分呢?
So is therefore spontaneity sort of a part of your life?
这一直都是这样吗?
Has that always been there?
比如,与其坚持这个严格的计划,不如当有趣的事情出现时,我们就去做,不管别人在做什么。
Like, in so instead of having this rigid plan we're sticking to, something arises and it seems like fun, we're just going to do that regardless of what kind of everybody else is doing.
我认为这是我另一个例子中的失败者,即文森特·梵高,我理解他就是文森特·梵高。
And I think that's a thing for one of my other examples is a failure, namely Vincent van Gogh, which I understand is Vincent van Gogh.
他,你知道的,一幅画都没卖出去,拒绝了他哥哥在艺术画廊提供的工作,尽管他本可以做得很好。
He, you know, never sold a painting, refused to take the job that his brother offered him in the art gallery, which he would have been great at.
但他想画他的画,而且想按照自己的方式去画。
But he wanted to paint his paintings and he wanted to paint them how he wanted to paint.
他一定是个很难相处的人。
And he must have been a very difficult person to engage with.
但那就是他想要的,也是他做的。
But that's what he wanted and that's what he did.
最终,他被杀了。
And then eventually, he was killed.
你知道吗?
You know?
我不知道那有多大可能。
I don't know how probable that was.
然后他在去世后被公认为伟大的天才。
And then he was recognized after his death as a great genius.
那么,这如何与自助理念相契合呢?
Well, how does that fit into the self help thing?
你知道吗?
You know?
如果他至死都在尝试,那他到底算不算帮助了自己?
Did he help himself or not if he if he died trying?
让我想起
Reminds me
那个我现在想不起名字的人。
of that I now don't recall his name.
那位俄罗斯数学家,我想他还健在。
The Russian mathematician, I think he's still alive.
哦,对。
Oh, yeah.
是的。
Yeah.
他拒绝了所有奖项,包括数百万——我不确定具体数字——可能是几十万美元。
He refused all awards including multi I don't know if it was million dollars, hundreds of thousands.
是的。
Yeah.
不。
No.
我想那是一百万美元。
I think it was a million dollars.
这与接受一百万美元去做某事完全不同。
This is this is completely different from accepting a million dollars to work on something.
那样就不好了。
That would not have been good.
但如果他是出于本心去做这件事,然后有人给他一百万美元,他不会……
But if he worked on it for its own sake and then somebody offers him a million dollars, he wouldn't
为什么不拿那一百万美元呢?
Why not take the million dollars?
是啊。
Yeah.
对啊。
Yeah.
至少拿了钱可以送给你喜欢的人。
At least take it and then give it to someone that you like.
没错。
Yeah.
比如说,现在肯定有什么不对劲的地方。
For example, now then there must be something strange going on.
你懂吗?
You know?
有些小细节他们没告诉我们。
There's there's that little thing that they don't tell us.
说到这类动机和乐趣,你也将通用解释原则应用于认真对待儿童,视他们为成年人,给予他们充分的自由
So talking about these kinds of motivations and having fun, you've also applied that plus the universal explainer principle to taking children seriously, treating them as adults, giving them the full freedom
嗯,视他们为人。
Well, treating them as as people.
作为人。
As people.
是的。
Yes.
而且没有强制,甚至没有测试,没有推动,而是让他们追随自己天生的好奇心和动机。
And no coercion, not even testing, not pushing, but rather let them follow their own natural curiosity and motivation.
是否存在类似认真对待成年人的哲学?
Is there a similar philosophy to taking adults seriously?
因为我们甚至不清楚是否完全认真对待其他成年人,因此我们的关系也因此受损
Because it's not even clear we take other adults fully seriously, and so our relationships suffer as a
嗯,在宏观层面上,我们还不知道如何做到这一点。
Well, in on the large scale, we don't yet know how to do it.
我的意思是,西方的制度——科学、经济学、政治——是有史以来最好的。
I mean, the institutions of the West, science, economics, politics, are the best that have ever existed.
而且,你知道,与历史相比,它们在培养创造力方面非常出色,不是告诉人们该做什么,而是让人们自愿做他们想做的事并相应互动。
And they're, you know, compared with history, they're remarkably good at fostering creativity, not telling people what to do, but letting people do what they want to do voluntarily and interacting accordingly.
它们显然非常不完美。
They're obviously very imperfect.
它们都是如此。
They're all of them.
科学、经济和政治领域仍存在亟待解决的重大缺陷。
The science, economics, and politics have gaping imperfections which have yet to be solved.
我认为,即便是国家为维护法治而实施的强制手段,本质上也是不完美的表现。
And I believe that or I think that any coercion even as exerted by a state enforcing the rule of law is a sign of something imperfect.
我的意思是我们可以改进,但我不知道具体方法。
I mean, we can improve on that, but I don't know how.
但这些改进必须由有意愿的人通过创造性方式来实现。
But the improvements will have to be creatively produced by people who want to do that.
你知道的,我觉得对待朋友——或者说熟悉的人——我们自然会认真对待他们。
As for you know, I think with one's friends, let's say with with the people one knows, one is automatically doing the taking them seriously thing.
我的意思是,你不会对一个人说...虽然你可能会提醒他们'小心点'。
I mean, you wouldn't say to a person you might say to them, watch out.
今天可能会下雨。
It might rain today.
但如果他们说'不'。
But if they say, no.
我...我不喜欢我的雨衣。
I I don't like my raincoat.
我就穿这件夹克好了。
I'll just wear this jacket.
你知道的,就说'不行'。
You know, say, no.
把雨衣穿上。
Wear the raincoat.
穿上雨衣。
Wear the raincoat.
哦,我们不去那里。
Oh, we're not going there.
你会被认为既非常粗鲁又反常,就像以那种方式与成年人互动是不理智的。
You'd be considered both very rude and perverse, like not rational for interacting with adults that way.
除非是在明确的关系背景下。
Except in the context of a defined relationship.
所以如果是师生关系、老板员工关系、夫妻关系,那么他们对彼此的行为都有要求。
So if there's a teacher student, if there's a boss employee, if there's a husband wife, then they have claims on each other's behavior.
嗯,我认为那些制度——如果它们具有这种特性(通常没有),但如果有的话——它们是不完美的。
Well, I think that those institutions, if they have that property, which often they don't, but if they have that property, they're imperfect.
一定有更好的办法。
There's gotta be a better way.
我不认为雇主应该用这种惩罚性的、规定性的方式对员工说话。
I don't think that a employer should speak to an employee in this punitive way, in this prescriptive way.
雇主首先应该说——雇主和员工之间应该明确他被雇来做什么。
The employer should be saying, well, first of all, should be understood between the employer and employee what he was hired to do.
所以,你知道,在这方面他们是有共识的。
And so, you know, they're both on the same page in that regard.
你被雇来做某某事。
So you're hired to do so and so.
然后雇主可以说,那么某某事做得怎么样?
Then the employer can say, well, how about so and so?
然后员工可以说,嗯,听起来不错,但我确信那行不通。
And then then the employee can say, well, sounds good, but I'm sure that wouldn't work.
而雇主可以说,我认为这可能有效。
And the employer could say, I have an idea that it might.
是啊。
Yeah.
试试看吧。
Just try it.
这种友好的互动是最理想的。
And this kind of friendly interaction is optimal.
一旦出现强制、胁迫的因素,如何...
As soon as an element of compulsion, coercion How does
这如何影响你的人际关系,比如与生活中的人相处,例如配偶或同事,他们希望保持关系完好。
this inform, like, your human relationships with, you know, the people in your life where let's say, for example, you're with a spouse or you're with a coworker, and they want to keep their relationship intact.
因此存在某些限制条件。
So there's certain constraints around it.
所以你无法完全自由。
So you can't be fully free.
生活中是否仍存在运作的约束,或者你根本没有这类人际关系?
There's still constraints in operation, or do you just not have those kinds of relationships in your life?
你是否避免置身于无法完全享受乐趣和自由的处境?
Do you not put yourself in situations in life where you can't operate with full fun and full freedom?
所以每个人都有主要想解决的问题情境。
So everyone has a problem situation that is primarily what they're trying to solve.
在我看来,人际关系是为了解决个人所处的问题情境。
To me, relationships are for addressing one's own problem situation.
恰巧由于认识论等因素,世界就是这样运作的。
It so happens the way the world is works because of epistemology and and so on.
这意味着两个人互相解决对方的问题时,效率往往比各自单独行动高出不止两倍。
It means that very often, two people addressing each other's problems are far more than twice as efficient as each of them separately.
所以这里存在一个增效因子。
So there's an enhancement factor.
而整个经济体系的增效因子可能高达数万亿倍甚至更高。
And the economy at large has an enhancement factor of probably trillions or something.
有些东西可以通过经济体系获得,比如一部iPhone。
There are things which can be obtained via the economy like an iPhone.
成本效益的提升是巨大的。
The enhancement in cost is enormous.
如果你想和某人一起看电影,和朋友同去的乐趣很可能会超过单独观看的两倍。
If you wanna go and see a movie with somebody, it may well be that it's more than twice as enjoyable if you go with a friend.
但也不会达到数万亿倍的乐趣。
But it's not gonna be trillions of times more enjoyable.
但这仍然值得去做。
But it's still worth doing.
还有些事情比如养育子女等,只有当你与某人建立长期关系、拥有共同解决问题的制度体系时才能实现。
And there are things like having children and so on which you can only do if you have a long term relationship with a person with whom you have a common set of institutions for solving problems.
关于同意的制度,以及...没错的制度。
Institutions of consent and institutions of yeah.
所以我认为这实际上不是重点。
So I think that isn't the point, actually.
重点在于,当你参与任何一种解决问题的关系时,如果这种关系有效且良好,那么称自己受其约束是荒谬的。
The point is that when you are involved in a problem solving relationship of any kind and this works, and it's a good one, and it works, then it's perverse to call yourself constrained by that.
这就像说在经济中,你因为必须为东西付钱而受到约束。
It's rather like saying that in the economy, you're constrained by having to pay for things.
实际上并非如此,为东西付钱是达成共识的条件。
When you're not, having to pay for things is the condition of consent.
就像,如果没有共识,你就无法不付钱就得到东西。
Like, if it weren't for consent, you wouldn't get the things without paying.
你至少得去抢劫或采取其他手段。
You'd have to at least rob somebody or or whatever.
但更重要的是,这些东西一开始就不会存在。
But more to the point, it wouldn't be there in the first place.
事物的存在依赖于这一整套庞大的共识机制——我本想说你配合它们,但这个词甚至都不准确。
Things are only there because of this massive set of institutions of consent, which if you I was gonna say if you play along with them, but that's not really even the word.
如果你认同它们,认同这些机制并希望成为能融入其中的人,那么你就会得到一部iPhone。
If you identify with them, you identify with these institutions and want to be the kind of person that can fit into them, then you get an iPhone.
任何关系都是如此。
It's the same with any kind of relationship.
但当你从中得不到什么时,比如这位拒绝奖项的俄罗斯人,你对经济就无所求。
But when you're not getting something out of them, like maybe this Russian guy with the his refusing the prize, there's nothing you want from the economy.
你只想待在小木屋里研究数学,这就是你全部所求。
You just want to stay in your log cabin and work on maths, and that's all you want.
任何形式的人际关系或与人交往对你来说都只是烦恼,那么这就是你要面对的。
And any kind of human relationship or any kind of interaction with people is just an annoyance, well, then that's what you do.
这就是你不得不做的事。
That's what you'd have to do.
如果你被迫进入正常的人际关系,你会感到不快乐。
And if you then were somehow forced into the normal relationship, you'd be unhappy.
你可能会...呃,我也不确定。
And you probably well, I I don't know.
我不想说可能,但那些被他人称为自由的东西,实际上会损害你创造优秀数学成果和获得幸福的条件。
I don't wanna say probably, but conditions for you producing good math and for producing happiness for yourself are impaired by this thing which other people call freedom.
所以,虽然我给出了很长的回答,但本质上,良好的人际关系不会成为阻碍。
So, you know, I gave a very long answer, but, basically, one isn't impaired by good relationships.
相反,它们会让你变得更好。
One is enhanced by them.
这与所谓的文明冲突有关,虽然我认为现在这个说法并不准确。
Well, that ties into what is sometimes called clash of civilizations, although I think that's a misnomer right now.
这是文明与野蛮的冲突。
It's the clash of civilization with the uncivilized.
而且眼下就有一场显著的冲突正在进行。
And there's a prominent one going on right now, obviously.
虽然听众可能不知道我们具体指什么。
Although when people listen to this, they might not know what we're referring to.
但在我看来,像iPhone这样的存在,正是源于具有批判传统的文明。
But it seems to me that the existence of iPhones, for example, arises out of the civilization with the tradition of criticism.
这是我们取得快速进展的必要前提条件。
That's the necessary precondition for making the kind of rapid progress that we have.
但目前我们在这方面遇到了阻力。
But we've got enemies of that at the moment.
你认为我们当前面临的主要威胁是什么?这些威胁是否关乎生存?
What do you think are the major threats that we're facing at the moment, and are they existential?
因为很多人担心生存威胁,比如机器人将统治世界,或者下一场病毒会消灭人类。
Because a lot of people worried about existential threats in terms of the robots are gonna take over the world or the next virus is gonna wipe us out.
但就所谓的文明冲突而言,作为启蒙运动的继承者,我们面临的主要矛盾或威胁是什么?又该如何应对?
But in terms of the so called clash of civilization, what's the major tension or threat that we're facing as inheritors of the enlightenment, and what's the remedy?
是的。
Yeah.
嗯,你知道的,我无法预言。
Well, as you know, I can't prophesy.
没人能做到。
No one can.
我只是尽量避免这么做。
I just try to avoid it.
我无法认真对待来自外部对我们文明的任何威胁。
I can't take seriously any threats to our civilization from the outside.
无论是独裁者、恐怖分子,还是可能出现的人工智能(AGI)或超级智能(ASI)。
That is dictators, terrorists, and also AIs if or AGIs or ASIs if they appear.
可以预见的是,首批出现的AGI应该会融入我们的文化,成为启蒙运动的一部分,并只会增强它。
Presumably, the AGIs that appear to be hoped that the first ones will in fact be part of our culture, be part of the enlightenment, and they will only enhance it.
但如果存在一种生存威胁,我也无法认真对待诸如天气这类威胁,因为它们的时间尺度要长得多。
But if there is an existential and and I can't take seriously the existential threats from things like the weather either because they're on a on a much longer time scale.
所有这些骇人听闻的故事实质上是说,它可能比我们想象的更昂贵。
And all that scare stories are really about is that it might prove to be more expensive than we think.
或许今天就开始重大项目会更好。
It could be that it would be better to start today on major projects.
那绝不可能是生存威胁。
That can't possibly be an existential threat.
唯一可能构成生存威胁的是,如果我们的文明——启蒙运动的文明——犯了足够严重的错误。
The only threat that could possibly be existential is if our civilization, the civilization of the enlightenment, makes bad enough mistakes.
例如,否认和憎恨这一文明的潮流与意识形态。
For example, fads and ideologies of denying and hating that very civilization.
这类潮流一直存在,正如我追随罗伊·波特所言,启蒙运动本身从诞生之日起就内置了反启蒙的叛逆基因。
There have always been such fads, and I've following Roy Porter, I've talked about the fact that the the enlightenment in itself had a a rebellious anti enlightenment built in from day one.
这种反启蒙思想如今仍有传承,诸如'觉醒'运动等,无论你如何称呼它们,都是其现代衍生物。
And that anti enlightenment has got descendants today, And things like woke and so on, whatever you call them, are among the descendants of it.
从理论上讲,这类事物可能摧毁文明。
In principle, a thing like that could bring down civilization.
必须说,我目前未见其迹象。
I see no sign of it, I must say.
我的意思是,我在此尽量避免做出预言。
I mean, I I'm trying to avoid prophecy here.
但尽管我认为这些事物正朝着摧毁文明的方向发展,我并未看到它们真正取得进展的实际迹象。
But but although I think those things are acting in the direction of bringing down civilization, I don't see any actual sign that they are actually making progress in that.
我们是否仍处于西方世界——无论是伦敦、纽约还是悉尼——却比二战时期更为软弱?当然,我并非历史学家,但当时普通人似乎至少更有动力去明确分辨正义与非正义的界限。
Are we nonetheless in the West, whether it's London, New York, Sydney, a little weaker than what we would have been during the Second World War where and again, of course, I'm no historian, but there seem to at least be a stronger impulse of the average person to understand the bright line between who was on the right side and who wasn't.
但现在我们看到西方民众不是在为受害者发声,而是在为施暴者辩护。
But now we're seeing people in the West standing up for not the victims, but the perpetrators.
这是新出现的现象吗?
Is that a new phenomenon?
如果要与二十世纪中叶类比,我们最相似的时期并非二战。
If you want to draw an analogy with the mid twentieth century, the place where we're most analogous to is not the second world war.
而是三十年代。
It's the thirties.
二十到三十年代,即两次大战间的时期。
Twenties and thirties, the interwar period.
那时人们对我们文化正确性的信心也遭受了巨大打击。
There there was also a massive loss of confidence in the rightness of our culture.
当时有大萧条。
There was the great depression.
这是普遍现象。
It was commonplace.
人们从大萧条中得出了完全错误的教训,这曾是主流观点。
It was conventional wisdom to draw completely the wrong lesson from the Great Depression.
人们认为我们需要减少资本主义,普遍减少自由。
People thought that we needed less capitalism, less freedom in general.
我们需要更多强硬的领导人。
We needed more strong leaders.
一旦战争来临,人们意识到事态已无可挽回,西方世界几乎无人反对做正确的事。
Once it came to the war, people saw that push had come to shove, and there was very little in the West that opposed doing the right thing.
我最喜欢的例子是牛津大学辩论社,他们曾与本科生辩论,议题是‘本议院在任何情况下都不会为国王和国家而战’。
My favorite example of this is the Oxford Union Society, which had a debate with the undergraduates with where the motion was this house would not fight for king and country under any circumstances.
我原本不知道是‘在任何情况下’。
I I didn't know it was under any circumstances.
我最近查了资料,发现这个议题获胜了。
I looked it up recently, and it won.
那个议题确实通过了。
That motion won.
据说,这给了希特勒可乘之机。
Allegedly, this gave Hitler ideas.
无论如何,纳粹乃至整个法西斯主义的意识形态都认为自由民主是腐朽堕落的。
In any case, the ideology of the Nazis and so on, of the fascists in general, was that liberal democracy was decadent and decaying.
而英美法三国也不遗余力地证实这一点,使其看起来确实在衰败。
And Britain and France and America lost no opportunity to confirm this, to make it look as though it was decaying.
事实绝非如此。
It wasn't doing anything of the kind.
这更像是——你们朝我们撒尿,我们还说下雨了。
It was just kind of it was more like, you piss on us, we say it's raining.
这才是更真实的态度。
That was more the attitude.
在这种情况下,有人为这种态度找了各种借口,比如和平主义等等。
And and within that, there were people who adopted all sorts of justifications for that, like the pacifism and so on.
但在那次动员一年后,牛津大学的精英学生们纷纷参军,你知道,他们正在参加不列颠之战。
But a year after that motion, after the elite students in Oxford University had joined up in the armed forces, you know, they were fighting the battle of Britain.
他们就是那些在不列颠之战中作战的飞行员。
They they were the pilots fighting the battle of Britain.
他们是带领士兵们战斗的军官,深知我方立场正确,尽管战争初期遭遇重大挫折,但终将获胜。
They were the officers who were leading their men to fight and to know that our side was right and was going to win despite awful setbacks at the beginning of the war.
我曾问过我母亲——她是大屠杀幸存者,当时处境非常艰难。
I I once asked my mother, who is a Holocaust survivor and was having a very bad time at the time.
我问她,你是什么时候确信盟军会胜利的?
I once asked her, when did you become sure that the allies were going to win?
因为在我看来,九月份时全世界都认为英国完蛋了。
Because it seemed to me that, you know, in September, I thought the whole world thought that Britain was doomed.
美国大使约瑟夫·肯尼迪(约翰·肯尼迪的父亲)发回电报说:英国完了。
Joseph Kennedy, the American ambassador, father of John Kennedy, cabled back saying, Britain is finished.
去和纳粹达成妥协吧,诸如此类。
Make your accommodation with the Nazis and so on.
后来英国人得知此事,要求将他召回不再担任大使。
And then the British got to hear of this and asked him to be be withdrawn as ambassador.
不过,总之,我觉得这是普遍看法。
But but, anyway, that was a common thing I thought.
但我母亲回答我的问题时说,你何时确信盟军会胜利?
But my mother said when I asked her, when did you become sure the allies would win?
她说:1939年9月3日,英国和法国宣战的那天。
She said, 09/03/1939, the day that Britain and France declared war.
因为那正是他们扭转政策的关键时刻,从宣称天下太平转为真正捍卫文明。
Because that was the moment when they reversed their policy of saying it's raining and started their policy of actually standing up for civilization.
至于具体如何实施这一转变,其战术细节无人能预见。
The tactical details of how that was going to happen, nobody could have foreseen.
没人能确切预知我们将如何取得胜利。
Nobody could have foreseen exactly how we're going to win.
但对某些人而言,我们必将且必须获胜是显而易见的,而英国民众的态度瞬间发生了逆转。
But that we would win and had to win was to some people obvious, and the British as a nation just flipped on a dime.
他们原本坚信一套理念和意识形态。
They just believed one batch of things, one batch of ideologies.
然而转眼之间,他们似乎又完全倒向了相反立场。
And then, apparently, you know, it seemed like a day later that they believed the opposite.
最新的丘吉尔电影中有个精彩场景——不知你是否看过——丘吉尔深陷抑郁时,保守党同僚正试图迫使他与希特勒达成协议。
There's a nice scene in the latest Churchill movie, and I don't know if you've seen it, but it's where Churchill is very depressed and his colleagues in the conservative party are trying to push him to come to a deal with Hitler.
而他早在上世纪三十年代初就已看清这是绝无可能的。
And he has already seen since since the early thirties that this is impossible.
但愿意倾听他意见的人寥寥无几。
But no very few will listen to him.
随后他去接触了一些普通民众。
And then he goes and meets some ordinary people.
为避免剧透我就不多说了,虽然这段情节本可能真实发生,但实际并非史实。
And I I won't spoil it for you, but not a thing that happened in real life, although it could have happened.
也就是说,他从所谓的普通人那里获得了清醒的常识性判断。
So he's getting the common sense clear vision from the so called normal people.
来自普通民众。
From the ordinary people.
是的。
Yes.
但你知道,氧气联盟的那些精英们站错了队。
But, you know, the oxygen union, the elites are taking the wrong side.
嗯,他们曾经是。
Well, they had been.
我认为到那时,他们也已经转变了立场。
I think by that time, they had flipped as well.
所以今天,反启蒙思想的蔓延似乎正在各地的精英大学中加速。
So today, it seems like the festering of anti enlightenment goes on a pace at elite colleges and universities around the place.
这不过是必然的副产品,毕竟这里是富有创造力、聪明人聚集的地方,他们自然会反叛。
It's just this a necessary byproduct of, well, this is where the creative, bright people are, and so they're going to be rebellious.
因此你必然会看到有人站出来反对主流。
And so you're necessarily going to get people standing up against the mainstream.
本不必如此。
It doesn't have to be this way.
我认为从历史上看,这是多种因素混合的结果。
I think historically, it was a mixture of things.
学生中存在反叛者是件好事,而且这种情况将永远存在。
The fact that there were rebels among the students, that's a good thing, and it will always be true.
在德国,学生曾是纳粹主义的温床。
In Germany, the students were that was the hotbed of Nazism.
因此,纳粹主义的核心曾存在于德国大学中。
So the core of Nazism was in German universities.
但在英国情况并非如此。
That wasn't true in Britain.
在英国,反民主倾向的是左翼分子。
In Britain, the antidemocratic tendency were leftists.
他们是共产主义者。
They were communists.
如你所知,战争初期时,他们都假装成和平主义者。
They were as you know, at the beginning of the war, they were all pretending to be pacifists.
所以他们反对战争,但那是因为斯大林命令他们反对战争——因为他与希特勒签订了协议。
So they were against the war, but that was because Stalin told them to be against the war because he'd signed a deal with Hitler.
当斯大林下令时他们立刻转变立场,这是另一种现象。
They turned on a sixpence when Stalin told them to that's that's a different phenomenon.
当时的学生属于上流阶层。
So students were upper class people at the time.
他们是左翼分子。
They were leftists.
其中有些人是法西斯同情者。
Some of them were fascist sympathizers.
大多数人立即转变了立场。
Most of them flipped immediately.
不知道为什么,就像发生了某种相变。
Don't know why, you know, it's one of these like a phase change.
希特勒入侵了捷克斯洛伐克。
Hitler invaded Czechoslovakia.
没有人对此予以关注。
Nobody paid any attention.
他们,你知道的,他们想要绥靖政策。
They, you know, they wanted appeasement.
在那之前,他入侵了奥地利。
Before that, he invaded Austria.
更早之前,他占领了莱茵兰地区,然后继续扩张。
Before that, invaded the Rhineland and then so on.
所有人都只想要绥靖。
Everybody just wanted appeasement.
突然间,他入侵波兰,所有人都觉得这不可接受。
Suddenly, he invades Poland, and everybody's like, this is unacceptable.
你知道,大家突然意识到发生了什么。
You know, everybody, like, suddenly realized what was happening.
我不知道为什么。
I don't know why.
这些事件之间并无本质区别,但事情就是这样发展的。
There was no difference between the cases, but that's how it worked.
也许是因为一些人一直在思考,而另一些人依赖这些人的判断,但他们的想法是错误的。
Maybe it's that some people had been thinking and other people had been relying on those people, and they'd been thinking wrong.
他们改变了主意,因为他们进行了思考。
And they changed their minds because they had been thinking.
而那些当时依赖他们的人也改变了主意。
And the people who relied on them then also changed their minds.
你知道,也许事情就是这样发生的,就像一种播种过程。
You know, may maybe it happened like that as a sort of seeding process.
信息级联。
Information cascade.
是的。
Yeah.
似乎人们总倾向于玩弄意识形态,直到事态变得严重,那时意识形态的后果才会显现。
It seems that people have a tendency to play around with ideology until things become serious, and then the consequences of the ideology become obvious.
然后高层的明智之人改变了想法,大多数人就会随波逐流——事情可能就是如此。
And then the right thinking people at the top change their minds, and then most people just follow them as a It could be.
我非常希望这在当前发生的暴乱危机中能成为现实。
I'd very much like that to be true in the current crisis with the pogrom that's just happened.
但我不知道是否会如此。
But I don't know whether it will.
我的意思是,过去也有过类似情况,我当时会说现在就是转折点,但事实并非如此。
I mean, there again, there have been cases before where I would have said, right now is the time, but it wasn't.
我不知道这次是否会有所不同。
And I don't know whether it'll turn out different this time.
不过,你之前问我文明是否处于危险之中?
But, I mean, you asked me earlier the question, is civilization in danger?
我认为并非如此。
I don't think so.
关于 Bayt 播客
Bayt 提供中文+原文双语音频和字幕,帮助你打破语言障碍,轻松听懂全球优质播客。