本集简介
双语字幕
仅展示文本字幕,不包含中文音频;想边听边看,请使用 Bayt 播客 App。
你还记得英国石油公司漏油事件吗?
Do you remember the BP oil spill?
那是2010年在墨西哥湾发生的。
It happened on the Gulf Coast in 2010.
几年前,我和父亲聊起过这件事。
A couple years ago, was talking with my father about it.
具体怎么提起的我记不清了,但我们当时在讨论漏油的原因。
I don't really remember how it came up, but we're sort of, you know, talking about what caused the spill.
我们聊到英国石油公司因此惹了多大麻烦。
We're talking about how much trouble BP got in.
还谈到整件事最终是如何收场的。
We're talking about how it all finally ended.
我们居然能对这个十多年前的漏油事件聊上这么久。
And we were managing to have a pretty long conversation about this oil spill from over a decade ago.
对吧?
Right?
于是我问他:你有查过相关资料吗?
So at one point, I asked him, did you ever do any research on this?
他说没有。
He said, no.
我说:我也没查过。
I said, yeah, me neither.
那我们是怎知道的
So how do we know
所有这些破事?
all this shit?
他说,我不知道。
He said, I don't know.
我猜是新闻上看到的?
The the news, I assume?
潜移默化?
Osmosis?
我说,是啊。
I said, yeah.
有道理。
Fair enough.
但出于好奇,我又问了其他
But then out of curiosity, I asked some other
我认识的人。
people I knew.
我说,嘿,你们
I said, hey, do
还记得英国石油公司漏油事件吗?
you remember that BP oil spill?
他们记得的故事和我父亲跟我讲的一模一样。
And they remembered the exact same story as my father and I.
细节丝毫不差,我们都模糊记得钻井平台事故、失控的生态灾难、长达数月的政府应对。
Beat for beat, we all vaguely remembered an accident on an oil rig, an ecological disaster spiraling out of control, a months long government response.
我们不记得有什么圆满结局,但大家都认为,至少最坏的情况基本避免了。
We didn't remember a happy ending, but we all thought that, for the most part, a worst case scenario was avoided.
墨西哥湾最终恢复了生机。
The Gulf eventually recovered.
但我开始思考,我们记忆中的故事就是全部真相吗?
But I started wondering, is that story we all remember the whole picture?
事实真的如此吗?
Is that really what went down?
于是我开始深入调查。
So I started looking into it.
我前往墨西哥湾沿岸,采访那些亲历漏油事件的居民,结果发现他们至今仍活在事故阴影中。
I went to the Gulf Coast to talk to the people who lived the oil spill, to talk to the people who, it turns out, are still living it.
你们水质检测合格了吗?
Did you get a good water?
等等等一下。
So hold hold up.
先别急。
Hold up.
我正在录音。
So I'm recording.
哦你已经在录了啊。
Oh, you're recording just Yeah.
我现在开始录音了。
I'm recording now.
你他妈是谁?我叫迈克·阿森纳。
Who the hell are you and where the hell My are name my name is Mike Arsenal.
我现在在路易斯安那州的伯格,一条叫公司运河的水道上。
I am in Berg, Louisiana at this moment in a waterway called Company Canal.
公司运河。
Company Canal.
这地方有什么特别之处?
What significance is this place?
这里的人都做些什么?
What what do people do here?
就像我们正在做的,享受生活。
Exactly what we're doing, enjoying life.
到处喝两杯?
Sipping around?
享受生活啊,老兄。
Enjoying life, man.
到处喝两杯
Sipping around on
船上?
a boat?
是的。
Yes.
对啊。
Yeah.
所以你是在钓鱼吗?
So are you fishing?
这是一条运输货物、石油和各种产品的横向运河。
It's a transverse canal for goods, oil, and product, whatever it may be.
南路易斯安那是石油泄漏的重灾区。
South Louisiana was ground zero for the oil spill.
我之前从没去过南路易斯安那。
I'd never been to South Louisiana before.
我应该为这次采访说明一下。
I should specify for this interview.
迈克是个自作聪明的家伙。
Mike is a smartass.
所以我准备问他一个问题。
So he's gonna I'm gonna ask him a question.
他会先给我个胡扯的答案,然后才会说出真正的答案。
He's gonna give me a bullshit answer, then he's gonna give me the real answer.
对吧?
Is that right?
40%的情况下是这样。
40% of the time.
40%的情况下。
40% of the time.
好的。
Okay.
我们会百分百认真。
We'll be a 100% serious.
不。
No.
别理解成Get。
Don't get Get
滚出那个亭子。
the fuck out the booth.
我曾在公司运河上了解南路易斯安那州的生活。
I was on company canal to learn what life is like in South Louisiana.
幸运的是,我这两位向导都是合格的老师。
And luckily, my two guides here were qualified teachers.
他们在这里谋生。
They make their living down here.
你是谁?
And who are you?
你叫什么名字?
What's your name?
哦,我叫诺曼·贝利亚。
Oh, my name is Norman Belia.
我在这里出生长大。
I'm born and raised down here.
在水上活动是我最喜爱的事情之一。
I mean, it's just one of the favorite things to be on the water.
我宁愿在水上也不愿在陆地上。
I'd rather be on the water than be on land.
看那条水蝮蛇。
Look at that look at that water moccasin.
是啊。
Yeah.
这就是南路易斯安那州的一些危险。
And that's some of the hazards in South Louisiana.
你和它们一起生活吗?
Do you live with them?
水蝮蛇?
Water moccasin?
你被咬过吗?
You ever gotten bit?
哦,当然,老兄。
Oh, yeah, dude.
你从小就被这些东西咬。
You grow up getting bit by them things.
会发生什么?
What happens?
会发高烧。
Run high.
高烧不退,病得像条狗。
Fever, sick like a dog.
是啊。
Yeah.
哦,天哪。
Oh, man.
我不得不去医院。
I had to go to the hospital.
他们给我打了一针类固醇。
I had to give me a steroid shot.
哦,没错。
Oh, yeah.
我是说,最糟糕的肯定是那些小不点,幼崽们。
I mean, certainly, the worst ones are the small ones, the babies.
因为幼崽们不知道自己注射了多少毒液。
Because the babies don't know how much the poison they're injecting.
迈克和诺曼正在快速给我上课。
Mike and Norman were teaching me lessons at a rapid clip.
他们教我如何识别废弃的老油井。
They taught me how to identify old abandoned oil wells.
他们解释说真正的鳄鱼狩猎远没有电视上看到的那么戏剧化。
They explained that real alligator hunting is much less dramatic than you see on television.
他们还教了我关于快艇的宝贵一课。
And they taught me a very valuable lesson about fast boats.
这艘船时速70英里。
70 miles an hour, this boat.
而且它在移动。
And it moves.
我能看出来。
I can tell.
问题是
The thing is
当你乘坐时速70英里的快艇时,真的应该把帽子反着戴。
when you're on a boat going 70 miles an hour, you should really wear your hat backwards.
那是我们俩的。
That's both ours.
那是我的帽子。
That was my hat.
那是我的。
That was mine.
你看,因为我的帽子是正着戴的,所以风直接把它从我头上掀走了。
See, because my hat was on forward, so the wind ripped the thing clean off my head.
我当时正告诉迈克不用费心去找了。
I was telling Mike not to bother trying to find it.
这不重要。
It's not important.
它永远消失了。
It's gone forever.
但迈克坚持要去找。
But Mike insisted.
他似乎真的很担心路易斯安那的太阳会对我这光头造成什么伤害。
He seemed genuinely worried about what the Louisiana sun was gonna do to my bald head.
我还学到了另一件事。
Here's another thing I learned.
在你告诉船友你的帽子飞进水里之前
Before you tell your boat mates that your hat flew into the water
你是在船减速前弄丢的?
You lost it right before it slowed down?
哦,是啊。
Oh, yeah.
它飞走了。
It came off.
但它飞得可远了,老兄。
But it went flying, man.
我说,我们肯定找不回来了。
I said, we're not gonna be able to find it.
掉在船尾了。
Fall in the back of it.
看你身后右边。
Look right there behind you.
哦,真见鬼。
Oh, goddamn it.
该死的。
Goddamn it.
你真该仔细检查确认它是不是就掉在你身后的船里。
You should really double check to be sure it didn't just fall into the boat right behind you.
哦,见鬼。
Oh, damn it.
让我们在这儿找鬼魂。
Make us look for ghosts over here.
好吧。
Alright.
他们本可以,也或许应该对我发火,因为我浪费了他们的时间和汽油。
They could have, probably should have been pissed at me for wasting their time and their gasoline.
但相反,是啊。
But instead Yeah.
来到路易斯安那州,把自己搞得像个十足的混蛋。
Come to Louisiana and make a complete asshole of myself.
欢迎加入团队,兄弟。
Welcome to the crew, bro.
谢了。
Appreciate it.
他们就这么算了。
They just let it go.
没有记恨。
No hard feelings.
路易斯安那的生活方式和其他地方完全不同。
Louisiana lifestyle deal is totally different from other life styles.
我是说,你在这儿找不到什么热情好客,我才不管你是谁,见鬼去吧。
I mean, you ain't gonna find the hospitality, like, and I don't care who you are, what the hell.
你来到路易斯安那,就真的不想离开了。
You come to Louisiana, you're not really gonna wanna leave.
路易斯安那经历了太多苦难。
Louisiana's been through a lot.
从那条船上就能看出,伤痕显而易见。
From that boat, the wounds were obvious.
你能看到飓风造成的破坏、海岸侵蚀、房屋沉入水中。
You see hurricane damage, coastal erosion, houses disappearing into the water.
可能正是这些再加上他们的热情好客,让我实在不忍心提起另一道伤疤破坏气氛。
So it might have been all that in combination with their hospitality that had me really hesitant to fuck up the mood by bringing up another wound.
BP石油泄漏事件始于大约十三年前,距离我们所在位置约140英里处。
The BP oil spill started about thirteen years and a hundred forty miles away from where we were.
一座大型石油钻井平台发生了事故。
There was an accident on a massive oil rig.
有人受伤,有人丧生,随后数百万加仑的原油涌入了海洋。
There were injuries and there were deaths and then millions of gallons of crude oil surged into the ocean.
让我问你
Let let me ask you
一个问题。
a question.
你觉得未来还会再发生石油泄漏事故吗?
You think there's gonna be another another oil spill at some point?
我祈祷
I pray
老实说,不是向上帝祈祷。
to God not, to be honest with you.
我是说,我真的祈祷上帝不要让这种事发生。
I mean, I really do pray to God they don't.
自从漏油事件发生后,我就没来过这里。
I mean, ever since the oil spill hit, I ain't been on this.
我一直没来过这儿。
I ain't been out here.
为什么?
Why?
我是说,漏油事件刚发生后我们来这里,就发现鱼少了很多。
I mean, right after the oil spill, we came out here and it's like you didn't see as much fish.
漏油事件前,老兄,你能看到成堆的虾。
Before the oil spill, dude, you seen shrimp galore.
我是说,现在的情况是——别误会。
I mean, now it's like, don't get me wrong.
现在确实有不少虾,但和以前完全不能比。
They do got a lot of shrimp, but it's nothing like what it used to be.
这真的很可悲,老兄,因为很多人没意识到英国石油公司事件对路易斯安那州造成了多深重的影响。
And it's just that sad, dude, because that BP, a lot of people don't realize how much it really truly impacted Louisiana.
确实如此。
No doubt.
这就是为什么我说,活着就要学习,就要适应。
And that's why I say, you live, you learn, and you adapt.
这就是你所能做的全部。
That's all you can do.
我其实并不反对BP公司尝试做他们做过的事。
I really don't got nothing against BP trying to do what they did.
据我所知,他们当时是想成为世界上钻探最深油井的公司。
I mean, from what I understand, it was trying to be the one to do the deepest well in the world.
我是说,你不能因此责怪他们。
I mean, you can't fault them for that.
但是,我认识一些认识深水地平线遇难者的人。
But, I mean, I know some of the people that knows the ones that died on a deep water horizon.
哦。
Oh.
哦。
Oh.
老实说,我甚至不想谈论这件事,因为它让我非常困扰。
And I really don't even wanna talk about it honestly because it bothers me that much.
为什么你坐
Why you sit
为什么这件事让你如此困扰?
down Why does it bother you so much?
当你看到你最好的朋友哭泣,因为他们无法交谈。而你最好的朋友无法和他的父亲说话。
When you see your best friend cry because they can't talk to And your best friend can't talk to his dad.
嘿,达恩。
Hey, Darn.
这这这就是就是情况的严重性。
That's that's the that's the seriousness of of the situation.
你懂我意思吗?
You know what I'm saying?
就像,你知道的,这是卡津人的真实写照。
It's like, you know, this is a genuine example of Cajun people.
嗯哼。
Mhmm.
我为他热泪盈眶。
I got tears in my eyes for him.
是啊。
Yeah.
明白吗?
You know?
我完全不知道他在说谁。
I don't I have no idea who he's talking about.
这就是我们的文化,懂吗?
That's our culture, you know?
他痛,我们也痛。
He hurts, we hurt.
明白吗?
You know?
他父亲死在那座钻井平台上,很多人都不理解这件事。
His dad died on that rig, And a lot of people don't understand that.
因为某些愚蠢的失误,他父亲永远都不会回来了。
His dad's never gonna be there because of some stupid screw up.
是啊。
Yeah.
我是说,这就是为什么我说我不责怪任何人。
I mean, that's why I say I don't fault nobody.
我的意思是,我不怪他们想成为第一个进行深海作业的人。
I mean, I don't fault them for trying to be the first one to do a deep water.
我是说,有时候钱不是万能的,老兄。
I mean, it's just sometimes money ain't everything, dude.
我是说,有钱又能怎样?
I mean, what you gonna do with money?
我们的棺材尺寸都一样。
We all have the same coffin size.
我们最终都会去同一个地方。
We're all going in the same place.
不管你是上天堂还是下地狱,但愿如此。
Whether you're going to heaven or you're going to hell, hopefully.
我相信我会去天堂。
I believe I'm going to heaven.
是啊。
Yeah.
至少尝试一下。
Try to, at least.
我从迈克和诺曼那里学到了很多。
I learned a lot from Mike and Norman.
我们三人就我记忆模糊的英国石油公司漏油事件聊了好几个小时。
The three of us talked for hours about the BP oil spill story I half remembered.
他们告诉我越多关于漏油的影响,我就越明白我脑海中的故事是如此不完整,简直可以算是虚构的。
The more they told me about the impacts of the spill, the more I understood that the story I had in my head was so incomplete it may as well have been fiction.
我记得,那个结局根本算不上真正的结局。
The ending, I remembered, wasn't really an ending at all.
离开公司运河后,我并没有离开墨西哥湾沿岸。
After Company Canal, I didn't leave the Gulf Coast.
我停留了一段时间,开车行驶了很多英里,寻找更多经历过漏油事件的沿海居民的故事。
I stayed for a while, drove a lot of miles, and sought out stories from more coastal residents who lived through the spill.
当你听到他们的故事时,你会理解为什么有些人可能宁愿我们不记得这些。
And when you hear their stories, you'll understand why there are those who might have preferred that we didn't remember them.
我想提请你们注意这件事。
I wanna bring this to your attention.
拜托了。
Please.
你的项目名称叫'涟漪'。
Your project name is Ripple.
是的,长官。
Yes, sir.
无法给他们命名。
Couldn't name a name them.
不。
No.
这是多年前产生的严重连锁反应,至今仍在南方地区持续发酵。
That's It has a serious ripple effect from years ago and it's still it's still rippling here From in South
这里是Western Sound和APM Studios,我是丹·莱昂。
Western Sound and APM Studios, I'm Dan Leone.
这里是《涟漪》。
This is Ripple.
当我问人们还记得什么关于BP石油泄漏事件时,几乎所有人都记得它始于墨西哥湾的一场火灾或爆炸。
When I asked people what they remembered about the BP oil spill, almost everyone remembered that it started with a fire or maybe an explosion in the Gulf Of Mexico.
墨西哥湾是美国政府的摇钱树。
The Gulf Of Mexico is a cash cow for the United States government.
它被划分成多个区域,并命名为德斯坦穹顶和密西西比峡谷等地。
It's mapped out then divvied up into regions with names like Destin Dome and Mississippi Canyon.
这些区域进一步分割成区块,然后这些区块被租赁给公司用于石油勘探和生产等活动。
These regions are further chopped up into blocks, then these blocks are leased out to companies for things like oil exploration and production.
早在2008年,英国石油公司就向美国政府支付了3400万美元,租下了密西西比峡谷252区块——这是路易斯安那州东南海岸附近一块九平方英里的海域。
Back in 2008, British Petroleum paid the US government a cool $34,000,000 to lease Mississippi Canyon Block 252, a nine square mile plot of ocean off the Southeast Coast Of Louisiana.
人们对此寄予厚望。
Expectations were high.
据信该区块可能蕴藏着5000万桶石油。
It was believed that the block might be hiding 50,000,000 barrels of oil.
如果BP公司能找到并开采出这些位于海平面下5000英尺的海底石油,那将价值数百亿甚至数千亿美元。
That's billions and billions of dollars if BP could find it and get the oil out of the ocean floor, which is 5,000 feet below the surface.
在这样的深度进行钻探风险极高,且无法保证成功。
Drilling at that depth is risky and there's no guarantee of success.
但BP公司特别指定了'深水地平线'号钻井平台来执行这项任务。
But BP asked specifically for one rig to do the job, the Deepwater Horizon.
这个价值5.6亿美元的庞然大物。
A $560,000,000 behemoth.
平台尺寸为396×256英尺,被誉为幸运之星并备受赞誉。
It was 396 by 256 feet and it was described as lucky and celebrated.
数月前,在休斯顿海岸附近,该平台曾钻出当时世界上最深的油井。
Months earlier, off the coast of Houston, that rig had drilled the deepest well in the world.
于是深水地平线号被拖至252区块,2010年2月,平台工作人员开始钻井作业。
So the Deepwater Horizon was towed to Block 252 and in February 2010, the crew on the rig started drilling.
两个月后的4月20日,事故发生了。
Two months later, on April 20, there was an accident.
那种经历永生难忘。
That's something you you don't forget, something like that.
最早得知海上可能出现问题的其中一人就是这位。
One of the first people to learn of a potential problem offshore was this man.
我是安迪·格林伍德。
My name is, Andy Greenwood.
我在美国海岸警卫队担任军官。
I'm an officer in the United States Coast Guard.
我已经服役超过二十一年了。
I've been serving for over twenty one years.
我记得大概是早上九点半左右,我们接到报告说有个石油钻井平台着火了。
It was about, I would say, around 09:30 or so that we got the call for a report of a oil rig on fire.
安迪是海岸警卫队的飞行员。
Andy was a pilot for the coast guard.
他经常接到关于远海突发事件的呼叫。
He got a lot of calls about things happening far out on the ocean.
起初他听到消息时并没有太在意。
At first, he isn't too concerned by what he hears.
大多数时候我们接到钻井平台起火的报告,其实都是好心人看到天然气燃烧误以为出事了——这在那些海上钻井平台很常见。
Most of the time when we get a call for an oil rig on fire, it's some good Samaritan saw natural gas being burned off and thought something was wrong, which was a normal occurrence, for the oil rigs out there.
你知道,我们认真对待每次警报,当然也迅速出动。
You know, were taking it seriously and and certainly went out with appropriate haste.
但说实话,我们心里隐约觉得这次可能又是虚惊一场。
But, you know, in the back of our minds we kinda thought, maybe maybe this was another one of those.
安迪从阿拉巴马州莫比尔的驻地起飞,开始向南飞行。
Andy takes off from where he's stationed, in Mobile, Alabama, and starts flying south.
我问当时负责驾驶飞机确保安全的另一位飞行员:'你有那个GPS坐标吗?'
And I asked the other pilot who was actually flying the aircraft and making sure we were safe at the time, hey, do you have that GPS position?
那个坐标是多少来着?
What was that position again?
我...我没记下来。
I don't I don't have it written down.
然后他说,我明白了。
And he was like, I got it.
我就问,那是什么意思?
I was like, what does that mean?
他说,往上看。
He was like, look up.
于是我照做了,就在地平线上,大约80英里外,有个像蜡烛一样的东西在远处。
So did and right on the horizon was like, you know, 80 miles away was what looked like a candle, off in the distance.
这简直太不真实了。
It was it was unreal.
深水地平线钻井平台着火了。
The Deepwater Horizon was on fire.
火焰直冲云霄。
The flames spitting into the sky.
但我们能感觉到驾驶舱玻璃传来的炽热高温。
But we you could feel the heat from the inferno on the glass in the cockpit.
很明显,这不是我们猜测的常规石油平台燃烧。
And it was very clear, that this was not your typical oil rig burn off like we might have suspected.
我知道这次情况相当严重。
I knew this was something that that was pretty significant.
他也知道那片火海中有人员被困。
He also knows that somewhere in that inferno there are people.
所以整个墨西哥湾海岸警卫队的反应就是:只要能飞的,就尽快派出去。
So the entire Gulf Coast Coast Guard response just was, if it flies and we can get it airborne, let's get it out there as fast as we can.
当晚深水地平线钻井平台上有126名船员。
There were a 126 crew aboard the Deepwater Horizon that night.
当安迪赶到时,他们正疯狂地乘救生艇逃生。
By the time Andy arrives, they're frantically escaping in lifeboats.
还有一些人绝望地跳入海中以躲避大火。
And some have jumped into the ocean in desperation to escape the fire.
海岸警卫队的职责之一就是保障海上生命安全,规定任何水手在有能力时都有义务提供帮助。
One of the things the Coast Guard is a part of is safety of life at sea that states anytime a mariner can assist, it's their duty to help.
一个重要的幸运因素是附近有一艘名为达蒙·班克斯顿号的补给船。
One serious stroke of luck is the presence of a nearby supply vessel called the Damon Bankston.
他们立即进入搜救模式,在我们赶到前从水中救起了许多人。
And they immediately, their crew went into search and rescue mode to pull so many people out of the water before we were able to get there.
有视频记录显示海岸警卫队正在救援一名船员,用担架将他从辅助船只吊升到直升机上。
There's footage of the coast guard rescuing a crewman, raising his body on a stretcher from an assist vessel up to a helicopter.
105。
105.
深水地平线事件最终演变成了一系列错综复杂的争议。
The Deepwater Horizon story would eventually become a tangled mess of controversies.
但在这个夜晚,故事很简单。
But on this night, the story is simple.
这是人类团结一心拯救同胞生命的故事。
It's human beings banding together to save the lives of other human beings.
无线电可以接收信号然后关闭。
And the radio can take a signal and off.
当伤员被空运至岸上医院时,达蒙·班克斯顿号上的人员清点结果始终对不上数。
While the injured are flown to hospitals on shore, head counts of those aboard the Damon Bankston aren't adding up.
我们收到报告称,大概有
We had reports of, you know, I'd say at
至少30到40人下落不明。
least 30 or 40 people were unaccounted for.
人员伤亡的严重程度未知且令人恐惧,这是我们立即关注的重点。
The severity of the of the human toll was unknown and scary and what we were immediately focused on.
这
The
关于海上发生之事的消息开始传播开来。
story of what's happening out on the ocean starts to spread.
我走进办公室,知道那天必须完成一份案情摘要。
I walked into my office and and I knew I had to get a brief out that day.
和大多数律师一样,我必须完成一份提交给上诉法院的案情摘要。
I had to finish a brief to submit to the court of appeal like most lawyers.
拖到截止日才最终完成收尾工作。
Went until the last day to finally put the finishing touches on it.
距离火灾发生地两百英里外的路易斯安那州巴吞鲁日,一位名叫基思·琼斯的律师正在加班。
About two hundred miles away from the fire in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, a lawyer named Keith Jones is working late.
我的秘书一见到我就说:‘福雄附近的海上钻井平台着火了’。
My secretary, as soon as I walked in, said, there's a fire on a rig off of Fushon.
我当时回答——后来证明我是对的——‘福雄附近有上百个钻井平台’,就没再想这件事。
And I said, and I was right, there's hundreds of rigs off of Fushon and I didn't think another thing of it.
基思的儿子戈登是当晚'深水地平线'号上的一名船员。
Keith's son, Gordon, is a crewman on the Deepwater Horizon that night.
大概10点时,米歇尔给我打电话,她是戈登的妻子,她说钻井平台着火了。
And maybe 10:00, Michelle called me, Gordon's wife, and she said there's a fire.
戈登所在的钻井平台发生了火灾。
There was a fire on Gordon's rig.
米歇尔正从当局获取最新消息,随着海上事态发展不断接到电话通知。
Michelle was getting updates from authorities, receiving calls about the situation as it develops offshore.
我能从米歇尔的声音里感受到她的焦虑。
I I could feel the anxiety in Michelle's voice.
她说,他们又打来电话告知戈登下落不明。
She said, they called again and they said Gordon is unaccounted for.
但他们不确定,他可能在那艘船上。
But they don't know, he could be on that boat.
戈登·琼斯可能在'达蒙·班克斯顿'号上,也可能跳进了海里。
Gordon Jones might have been on the Damon Bankston or maybe he leapt into the ocean.
也许他当时神志不清、受了伤,需要救援。
Maybe he was disoriented, injured, in need of help.
此时水面上正在进行搜救行动,寻找失踪的船员。
Back out on the water, a search and rescue operation is underway to find the missing crewman.
海岸警卫队飞行员安迪·格林伍德回忆说,从数千英尺外看到一艘运输船向燃烧的钻井平台喷水。
Coast Guard pilot Andy Greenwood remembers seeing a transport vessel spraying water at the burning rig from thousands of feet away.
由于高温辐射,他们只能接近到这个距离。
And that was as close as they could get due to the heat coming off.
他们的水直接喷向空中,瞬间就蒸发了。
And their water was going straight up into the air and just was vaporizing.
随着夜色加深,安迪变得越来越担忧。
As the night goes on, Andy grows more and more concerned.
他们的搜救行动没能找到失踪的船员,钻井平台上的火焰也始终无法扑灭。
Their search efforts aren't finding the missing crew and the flames on the rig just won't die.
我记得石油钻井平台最高的部分之一是直升机停机坪。
I would remember one of the tallest parts of the oil rig was the helicopter landing pad.
停机坪较薄的部分开始熔化了。
The thinner part of the landing pad started to to melt.
安迪回忆着他们环绕钻井平台时看到的这一奇异现象。
Andy recalls this strange phenomenon as they circled the rig.
你知道,我们会以轨道方式盘旋飞行,根据飞行员的不同,他们会让自己的一侧始终朝向火焰,这样就能在黑暗中保持视野。
You know, would fly around in an orbit and depending on who was flying would keep their side closest to the flames so they, you know, could see in a void.
所以当你面向钻井平台时,光线如同白昼,但其他方向却漆黑一片,几乎什么都看不见。
So you had daylight like conditions while you're facing the oil rig, but it was pitch dark and very difficult to see in any other direction.
这种体验既孤独又令人清醒,当你拥有那束光时你会格外珍惜,失去时又会无比怀念。
So it was solitary and sobering and you really appreciated having that light when you had it and really missed it when you didn't.
我开车去了戈登·米歇尔的家。
I drove to Gordon Michelle's house.
清晨,灾难的第一批画面被公之于众。
In the morning, the first images of the disaster are broadcast to the public.
在巴吞鲁日,基思·琼斯通过电视看到了这些画面。
In Baton Rouge, Keith Jones watches them on TV.
就在那时,我意识到这场灾难有多严重,远不止是钻井平台上的火灾那么简单。
And that's when I knew how catastrophic this was, that it was a lot more than just a fire on the rig.
这些画面震撼了基思,因为他曾与儿子讨论过石油钻井平台的机械原理,他们聊过可能出错的环节。
The imagery struck Keith because he had spent time with his son discussing the mechanics of oil rigs and they'd spoken about the things that could go wrong.
戈登是平台上的泥浆工程师,这个职位只留给最优秀、最有才华的人。
Gordon was a mud engineer on the rig, which they reserved for the the best, most talented men they could get.
泥浆很重要。
Mud is important.
在石油钻井平台上至关重要。
It's critical on an oil rig.
当钻探队向海底钻进时,地层会以同样的力量反推回来。
When crews drill into the bottom of the ocean pushing into the earth, the earth pushes back in kind.
巨大的压力和易燃气体可能通过钻管喷涌而出,直冲海面。
Enormous pressure and flammable gas can surge up drill pipes screaming towards the surface.
泥浆是工程师用来压制这些气体、维持井控的物质。
Mud is the substance engineers use to force that gas back down to keep the well tamed.
戈登告诉我,他说:'爸,你知道电视电影里钻到石油时,原油从井架顶部喷出,人们围着跳舞庆祝的场景吗?'
Gordon told me, he said, dad, you know on on TV or on the movies when they strike oil and it gushes out of the derrick at the top and everybody dances around and celebrates that they've struck oil.
他说:'要是现在发生这种情况,所有人都会被开除,因为我们看到的是井喷。'
He said, if that happens now, everybody gets fired because what we're seeing is a blowout.
井喷是石油钻井平台上最可怕的事故。
A blowout is the worst thing that can happen on an oil rig.
这意味着他们已失去对油井的控制,石油和天然气会四处喷发。
It means that they have lost control of the well, and oil and gas goes everywhere.
基思在电视上看到的景象不像是普通的火灾。
What Keith is seeing on TV doesn't look like just a fire.
那看起来像是一场井喷,最糟糕的情况发生了。
It looks like a blowout, a worst case scenario.
到了4月22日,他的怀疑几乎得到了证实。
On April 22, his suspicions are all but confirmed.
仍有11名工人下落不明,而周二爆炸的钻井平台现已沉没,可能导致路易斯安那州海岸发生大规模原油泄漏。
11 workers are still missing while the rig that exploded on Tuesday has now sunk threatening a major oil spill off the Louisiana coast.
戈登的钻井平台从海面上消失了。
Gordon's rig disappears from the surface of the ocean.
戈登的弟弟克里斯当时在场。
Gordon's brother, Chris, was there.
我记得克里斯开车去了新奥尔良的富雄,等船靠岸时查看戈登是否在生还者中。
I remember Chris had driven down to New Orleans, to Fushon to be there when the boat got there to see if Gordon was with them.
当然,我知道这种希望很渺茫,最终不会有什么好消息。
I thought that that was fueled by hope of course, but it was not gonna result in any good news.
展开剩余字幕(还有 476 条)
达蒙·班克斯顿号救起的幸存者中没有戈登·琼斯。
Gordon Jones is not among the group of survivors on the Damon Bankston who were brought ashore.
但海岸警卫队仍在继续搜救,即使钻井平台已经沉没。
But the coast guard presses on, even after the rig sinks.
派出去的人越多,回来告诉你'没找到任何线索'的时候,这种打击确实会削弱你的乐观情绪。
The more people you put out there who then come back to you and say, yeah, I didn't find anything, you know, it it definitely it's a ding to your optimism for sure.
这位是布伦特·梅西,美国海岸警卫队退役人员。
This is Brent Massey, a retired US coast guardsman.
在搜寻失踪人员的过程中,布伦特正在岸上的指挥中心协调救援任务。
Throughout the search for the missing, Brent is coordinating the rescue mission from a command center onshore.
你知道,你仍然会出去寻找。
You know, you still go out there and look.
你知道,你会退后一步重新制定策略,然后再出去。
You know, you take a step back and restrategize and and go back out again.
那么这种乐观能持续多久?
And so how long does that optimism endure?
海岸警卫队会希望我说,只要有人可能还在水中存活,这种乐观就会持续。
The the coast guard would want me to say that that optimism endures, for as long as someone might potentially last in the water.
海岸警卫队会希望我说,我们会一直搜寻,直到生存极限。
The coast guard would want me to say that, that we would search, you know, through the end of survivability.
特别是如果有媒体高度关注,我们甚至会搜寻更长时间。
And especially if there was, like, a high media interest, we would search even beyond that.
但在操作员之间,如果我要100%诚实地说,我们并不傻。
But among the operators, if I'm to be a 100% honest, among the operators, you know, we're not we're not stupid.
你知道,我们很早就开始注意到这些迹象,比如,嘿,伙计。
You know, we you you start to notice those things early like, hey, man.
我们已经搜了又搜,搜了又搜。
We have searched and searched and searched.
他不在这里。
He's not here.
这是幕后的一瞥。
This is a peek behind the curtain.
就是,我不想,你知道的,我不想听起来像我们不在乎,但你得现实一点。
Like, I don't wanna, you you know, I don't want it to sound like we don't care, but you gotta you gotta be realistic about it.
4月23日,井喷事故三天后,做出了一个决定。
On April 23, three days after the blowout, a decision is made.
停止搜寻失踪人员。
The search for the missing is called off.
深水地平线事故导致11人丧生,包括戈登·琼斯。
11 lives are lost on the deep water horizon, including Gordon Jones.
在短暂的时间里,他们的死亡成为事件焦点。
For a brief time, their deaths are the focus of the story.
墨西哥湾沿岸开始了一种集体哀悼的仪式。
A sort of communal grieving process starts on The Gulf.
但这很快被打断,因为不幸的是,灾难并未结束。
But that's quickly interrupted because unfortunately, the disaster isn't over.
它正在升级。
It's evolving.
我和其他值班船员接到任务,执行所谓的污染空中勘察。
Myself and the rest of the crew on duty were tasked with doing what's called a a pollution flyover.
美国海岸警卫队成员迪伦·赫伯特飞越井喷现场,评估水域污染程度。
US Coast Guardsman Dylan Herbert flies over the site of the blowout to get a sense of how much pollution is in the water.
我们原本以为只是过去拍些现场照片就完事了。
So we were expecting, you know, to just go over there, we'll take some pictures of whatever might be in the area and be done.
当我们飞抵时,从远处就能看到预料中的油膜反光。
And when we went out there, from a distance, you could see the sheen, you know, just as expected.
我是说,大家都知道,水里有一点油,在停车场的积水坑里能看到那种彩虹般的光泽。
I mean, everybody knows what, you know, a little oil in water, you know, see it in a puddle in a parking lot, that rainbow, you know, sheen.
但我们能看到黑色的底色。
But we could see the black undertone.
这不仅仅是浮在水面上的少量油污。
Like, this was not just some amount of oil that was sitting on the surface of the water.
有某种物质正在改变水体本身的颜色,无论其可见深度如何。
There was something that was discoloring the actual water to whatever its visible depth would be.
海水的颜色不对劲。
The ocean was not the right color.
没错。
Correct.
是的。
Yeah.
那时我们报告说污染范围很广,而且我们认为还在扩大。
That's when we reported that the pollution was extensive and that we believed it to be growing.
这是美国历史上最大石油泄漏事件的开始。
This is the beginning of the largest oil spill in American history.
在和我父亲讨论这次泄漏时,我们都记得石油泄漏到海洋里持续了很长时间。
In the conversation I had with my father about the spill, we both remembered that the oil was leaking into the ocean for a really long time.
路易斯安那州警察危险物质热线。
Louisiana State Police hazmat hotline.
我是沃尔特。
This is Walter.
需要帮忙吗?
May I help you?
你好。
Hi.
我叫卡洛斯·莫雷诺。
My name is Carlos Moreno.
我想向您通报一则关于我们海上钻井平台作业事故的简报。
I wanted to give you an FYI notification on an incident that occurred offshore regarding one of our rig operations.
这是石油泄漏事件最初阶段的紧急呼叫。
This is an emergency call from the very beginning of the oil spill.
好的。
Alright.
那么,莫雷诺先生,您就职于哪家公司?
And, mister Moreno, you work for which company?
英国石油公司。
BP.
这是一起完全可控的事故。
It's a well controlled incident.
向警方通报的男子来自英国石油公司。
Man notifying the police is from BP.
他将这场大规模井喷事故轻描淡写地称为'可控事故'。
He refers to this massive blowout as a quote, well control incident.
我们正在聆听深水地平线事件尚未定论时某个具体而短暂的瞬间。
We're listening to a specific and fleeting moment in time when the Deepwater Horizon story was still in flux.
你能量化或测量泄漏的石油量吗?
Could you quantify or or measure the amount of oil that's been released?
不能。
No.
目前,我们掌握了一些尺寸数据。
At this time, we have, some dimensions.
好的。
Okay.
但目前还没有具体的体积或相关信息吗?
But no no volume or information at this point?
是的。
Right.
关于这场灾难的声明正逐渐传向外界。
Statements on the disaster were trickling out into the world.
从一开始,这些声明就并非总是准确的。
And from the start, they didn't always prove to be accurate.
预计这片北部油膜会影响到路易斯安那州海岸吗?
Is it expected that any part of this northern sheen, will impact the coast of Louisiana?
不会。
No.
目前我们预计不会对海岸线造成影响。
We do not anticipate at this time any shoreline impact.
但我们还是想提前告知你们。
But we still wanted to give you a heads up.
信息传播速度快到任何人都难以迅速理解。
Information was flowing faster than any one person could quickly make sense of it.
因此根据你选择强调的重点,关于这场初露端倪的漏油事件可以有上百种不同的讲述方式。
So there's a 100 different ways you could tell the story of the nascent spill depending on what you chose to emphasize.
井喷事故后的几天里,各权威部门开始向公众发表声明。
In the days after the blowout, various authorities started addressing the public.
随后展开的是一场持续数月的双线作战——既要控制漏油,又要掌控舆论导向。
And what unfolds is a months long battle on two fronts, a fight to control the spill and a fight to control the narrative.
各方势力都试图确保经过他们精心编排的事件版本能深植于国民意识中。
Each of these parties is trying to be sure it's their curated version of events that would lodge in the national consciousness.
其中一方权威是当时的执政政府。
One authority was the administration in power.
这是2010年,巴拉克·奥巴马的首个总统任期。
This was 2010, Barack Obama's first term.
请务必明白。
Make no mistake.
我们将动用一切资源与这场漏油事故斗争到底。
We will fight this spill with everything we've got for as long as it takes.
奥巴马总统在椭圆办公室发表的讲话中语气严厉而直接。
In an Oval Office address, President Obama was strict and direct.
我们将让英国石油公司为其造成的损失付出代价,并将采取一切必要措施帮助墨西哥湾沿岸及其民众从这场灾难中恢复。
We will make BP pay for the damage their company has caused, And we will do whatever is necessary to help The Gulf Coast and its people recover from this tragedy.
他领导的政府立场非常明确。
His administration's position was clear.
他们本打算投入所有资源和相关机构来解决这个问题。
They were gonna throw all the resources and relevant agencies at this.
但从法律上讲,这是英国石油公司的烂摊子,他们必须出钱清理。
But legally, this was BP's mess and they were gonna pay to clean it up.
第二方英国石油公司在公开声明时并未对此提出异议。
The second party, BP, didn't argue that point when addressing the public.
不过他们的语气,正如你在这则广告中听到的,有些不同。
Though their tone, as you'll hear in this ad campaign, was a bit different.
墨西哥湾漏油事件是一场本不该发生的悲剧。
The Gulf spill is a tragedy that never should have happened.
我是托尼·海沃德。
I'm Tony Hayward.
英国石油公司已全面承担清理墨西哥湾漏油的责任。
BP has taken full responsibility for cleaning up the spill in The Gulf.
我向受影响的人们及其家属深表歉意。
To those affected and your families, I'm deeply sorry.
这是当时英国石油公司的首席执行官托尼·海沃德。
That's BP's CEO at the time, Tony Hayward.
你会注意到他称之为'墨西哥湾漏油',而奥巴马政府官员则称之为'英国石油公司漏油'或'英国石油公司原油泄漏'。
You'll note there that he calls it the Gulf spill, whereas figures from the Obama administration were calling it the BP spill or the BP oil spill.
我想向美国民众通报英国石油公司原油泄漏的最新情况。
I wanna update the American people on the status of the BP oil spill.
对英国石油公司漏油事件的不间断应对。
Nonstop response to the BP spill.
从飞越受BP石油泄漏影响区域的航班上报道。
From a flight over the area affected by the BP oil spill.
政府强调这场灾难是BP的责任。
The administration is emphasizing that this disaster was BP's fault.
但公司的表态有时却暗示并非如此。
But the company's language suggested otherwise sometimes.
这是BP首席运营官道格·萨特尔斯在新闻发布会上的发言。
This is BP's chief operating officer Doug Suttles speaking at a press conference.
上周二,也就是一周前的周二晚上10点左右,越洋深水地平线钻井平台起火并发生爆炸。
Last Tuesday, a week ago Tuesday at about 10PM at night, the the Transocean Deepwater Horizon rig caught fire, had an explosion.
值得注意的是萨特尔斯称该平台为越洋深水地平线,而非BP。
Note that Suttles referred to the rig as the Transocean Deepwater Horizon, not BP.
实际上他多次这样称呼。
He does this a bunch of times actually.
越洋深水地平线。
Transocean Deepwater Horizon.
我认为自从越洋深水地平线事故发生后...越洋深水地平线钻井平台。
I think since the Trans Ocean Deepwater Horizon incident began The Trans Ocean Deepwater Horizon rig.
虽然BP确实在2001年租赁了深水地平线钻井平台,但平台所有权属于越洋公司。
Now although BP did lease the Deepwater Horizon rig in 2001, Transocean was the owner of the Deepwater Horizon.
这或许是萨特尔斯不想在事件叙述中被忽略的细节。
This is perhaps a detail Subtles didn't want left out of the story.
于是我们看到奥巴马政府与BP在舆论场上展开较量。
So you have the Obama administration and BP battling in the court of public opinion.
但还有海岸警卫队。
But then you have the coast guard.
当时海岸警卫队有个如走钢丝般棘手的故事要讲述。
Now the coast guard had a real tightrope walk of a story to tell.
当美国发生石油泄漏时,我们有个叫《国家应急计划》的方案。
When oil spills happen in The United States, we have something called the national contingency plan.
这是一套试图为混乱的应对行动建立秩序的规则。
It's a set of rules that attempt to bring order to chaotic response efforts.
它还确立了层级关系。
It also establishes hierarchies.
根据《国家应急计划》,英国石油公司是责任方。
Under the National Contingency Plan, BP was the responsible party.
所以尽管英国石油公司声称对泄漏负责,但实际上他们别无选择。
So although BP says they were taking responsibility for the spill, they didn't actually have a choice on that.
《国家应急计划》要求海岸警卫队既要监督又要参与责任方的应对工作。
The National Contingency Plan tasked the Coast Guard with both supervising and participating in the responsible party's efforts.
英国石油公司、海岸警卫队和多个联邦机构共同组成了所谓的统一指挥部。
BP, the Coast Guard, and a number of federal agencies are all wrapped up into what's called a unified command.
联邦现场协调员的职责是监督英国石油公司的漏油应对工作。
The federal on scene coordinator has a role to oversee BP's efforts in responding to the spill.
海岸警卫队的玛丽·兰德里少将担任联邦现场协调员。
The Coast Guard's rear admiral Mary Landry served as the federal on scene coordinator.
这是个高级职位。
This was a high up position.
她负责监督应对工作。
She oversaw the response effort.
她直言不讳地谈到了处理英国石油公司问题的方法。
And she spoke plainly about her approach to handling BP.
如果任何时候州政府或联邦政府对现场资源是否充足感到不满,我们可以施加压力,要求英国石油公司调集所需资源。
If at any time the state or the federal government is not satisfied that we have enough resources on scene to respond to this till, we can apply pressure and request to BP that they bring those resources to bear.
我必须说英国石油公司确实调集了资源,迄今为止我们需要的所有物资都得到了满足。
I have to say that BP has brought the resources, and we've never been in a position yet where where anything we wanted has not been brought to bear.
调集这些资源是为了应对日益严重的问题。
The resources being brought to bear are to try and address a growing problem.
在海底5000英尺处,油井正在漏油。
5,000 feet down at the ocean floor, the wellhead was leaking oil.
这是公认的事实。
That was an accepted fact.
但存在一个争议点。
But there was a sticking point.
漏油量有多少?
How much oil?
上将,您说根据NOAA的估算漏油量增加了五倍,但英国石油公司声称根本没有增加。
Admiral, you said that the oil in NOAA's estimation is is increasing by a factor of five, yet BP says it's not increasing at all.
到底哪个说法是正确的?
Which one is it?
需要明确的是这只是一个估算值。
It's important to understand this is an estimate.
是我吗?
Am I?
不是。
No.
一个科学
A scientific
在整个灾难过程中,各方对此事的说法再次出现了矛盾。
Throughout the disaster, again, there was competing messaging on this.
最初,政府机构声称每天泄漏5000桶石油,但英国石油公司坚称只有1000桶。
Early on, government agencies were saying 5,000 barrels of oil a day, but BP was saying only 1,000 barrels.
尽管存在这些分歧,但英国石油公司、海岸警卫队和政府从一开始就达成了一项共识。
Despite all of this friction, there was one consensus among BP, the Coast Guard, and the administration from the very beginning.
必须封堵井口。
The wellhead needed to be closed.
必须迅速止住石油泄漏。
The flow of oil needed to be stopped quickly.
2010年5月6日,漏油事件第16天,人们尝试阻止喷涌的原油。
On 05/06/2010, day 16 of the spill, an attempt is made to stop the gushing oil.
一个控油罩被下放到海底。
A containment cap is lowered to the bottom of the ocean.
想象一个坚固的大型圆顶装置,设计用来锁定泄漏点上方。
Imagine a big strong dome designed to lock in place over the leak.
海岸警卫队上将泰德·艾伦对当前情况进行了通报。
Coast Guard Admiral Thad Allen gives an update on the situation.
当我们最初安装第一个原始封堵罩时
When we first put the containment cap, the other the first original containment cap was put on.
它内部充满了水合物,导致封堵罩产生浮力
It filled up with, hydrates which, made the containment cap buoyant.
浮力意味着罩子漂走了
Buoyant, meaning the cap floated away.
因此该计划失败,石油开始冲上岸边
So that plan fails and the oil is beginning to wash up on shore.
随着石油逼近海岸,需要强调的是我们从第一天就预见到最坏情况并制定了应对计划
As the oil nears the shore, it's important to note that we have anticipated and planned for a worse worst case scenario since day one.
政府方面展现出专业能力,英国石油公司也表现出顽强态度
Administration is projecting competence and BP tenacity.
除非用尽所有方案,否则我们不会停止
Until we run out of options, we won't stop.
无论成功几率多么渺茫,我们都将继续尝试
No matter how unlikely they are to be successful, we will continue to try.
于是进入B计划,漏油事件第36天
So plan b, day 36 of the spill.
昨日,联邦政府批准英国石油公司实施一项名为'顶部压井'的作业
Yesterday, the federal government gave BP approval to move forward with a procedure known as a top kill.
顶部压井是指向泄漏油井顶部泵入重型钻井泥浆的计划
Top kill refers to a plan to pump heavy drilling mud into the top of the leaking well.
我们于昨天下午1点左右开始了顶部压井作业
So we began the top kill procedure at about 01:00 in the afternoon yesterday.
这是BP首席运营官道格·萨特尔斯正在接受记者提问。
This is BP COO Doug Suttles being questioned by reporters.
你说过去十六小时已经停止泵送泥浆。
You said you've stopped pumping the mud for the past sixteen hours.
这是否意味着出现了问题或发生了意外情况?
Is that a sign that something went wrong or is, something unanticipated happened?
不是。
No.
实际上没有任何问题或意外发生。
Nothing's actually going wrong or unanticipated.
当我们进行这项操作时,
When we do this operation, which
顶部压井法也宣告失败。
Top kill also fails.
此时,原油已冲刷到路易斯安那州海岸。
By now, oil is washing ashore in Louisiana.
联邦现场协调员玛丽·兰德里作出保证。
Federal on scene coordinator Mary Landry offers reassurance.
我想向各位保证,我也向墨西哥湾沿岸各州州长承诺过,除路易斯安那州的三处海滩外,所有海滩都保持开放。
I wanna reassure all of you, and I promised the governors of the Gulf Coast states I would do this, that all the beaches are open with the exception of three in Louisiana.
好的。
Alright.
C计划,第44天,采用另一种类型的封盖。
Plan c, day 44, a different kind of cap.
这个穹顶能收集多少比例的漏油?
How much of the oil does the dome have the capacity to capture?
这个穹顶实际上我们称之为'密封罩'。
The dome does the it's actually we're calling it a containment cap.
这个罩子的结构设计可以覆盖管道,周围配有橡胶垫圈。
The cap is is structured so that it can cover the pipe, with a rubber gasket around it.
它并非完全密封。
It's not a perfect seal.
该方案同样未能阻止原油泄漏。
This plan also fails to stop the leaking oil.
随着失败不断累积,语气中出现了明显变化。
As the failures pile on, there are noticeable shifts in tone.
BP首席执行官唐熙华因在采访中判断失误而备受指责。
BP CEO Tony Hayward catches hell for having a lapse in judgment during an interview.
你可能还记得这件事。
You may actually remember this one.
没有人比我更希望这一切结束。
There's no one who wants this thing over more than I do.
要知道,我想找回我的生活。
You know, I'd like my life back.
BP首席运营官道格·萨特斯也流露出沮丧情绪。
And BP COO Doug Suttles betrays some discouragement.
我们显然已经持续努力了很长时间,我认为包括我在内的所有参与者都像坐过山车一样经历着起伏。
Well, we've clearly been at this for quite some time now and, I think as myself and everyone who's been involved in this, it's it's quite a roller coaster.
每次我们开展新作业时,显然都相信可能成功,但实际上我们清楚现状——油井仍在持续泄漏。
Every time we start a new operation, we obviously believe it could be successful, but we actually understand where we stand today, is the well continues to flow.
截至6月6日,漏油事件发生46天后,原油已冲刷至德克萨斯、路易斯安那、密西西比、阿拉巴马和佛罗里达海岸。
By June 6, forty six days into the spill, oil has washed ashore in Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama and Florida.
突然间,海滩、渔场和沿海城镇都面临威胁。
Suddenly, beaches, fisheries, and coastal towns are all at risk.
因此当前应对措施还必须聚焦于清理工作。
So now the response also has to focus on cleanup.
2010年,数千名沿海居民参与了墨西哥湾的清理行动。
In the 2010, thousands of coastal residents participated in efforts to clean the Gulf Of Mexico.
他们大多数人这样做是因为别无选择。
Most of them did so because they didn't have any other choice.
休息回来后,你们将听到他们对整个事件的看法。
When we get back from the break, you'll hear their perspective on all this.
墨西哥湾盛产许多我个人喜爱的食物。
The Gulf Of Mexico has a lot of things in it that I personally enjoy eating.
蓝蟹、虾、鲻鱼、牡蛎,种类不胜枚举。
Blue crab, shrimp, mullet, oysters, the list goes on.
捕捞这些海产并运往市场供像我这样的人食用,正是2010年墨西哥湾沿岸数万人的谋生方式。
Catching them and bringing them to market for people like me to eat is how tens of thousands of people made their living on The Gulf in 2010.
在漏油事件高峰期,约8.9万平方英里的联邦水域被禁止捕鱼。
At the very peak of the spill, some 89,000 square miles of federal waters were closed for fishing.
这造成了立竿见影的毁灭性影响。
The impact of this was devastating and immediate.
我是在公司运河学到这个的。
I learned this on Company Canal.
我认识一些人现在无家可归。
I know people right now that lost their homes.
他们以土地为生。
They lived off the land.
那就是他们的谋生方式。
That's what they did for a living.
商业捕鱼,商业捕蟹。
Commercial fish, commercial crabbing.
见鬼,我甚至还有亲戚靠捕蟹之类为生。
Hell, I mean, I even got family members that crabbed and stuff like that.
他们都不得不停下来。
They all had to stop.
我是说,很多人并不真正了解发生了什么。
I mean, a lot of people don't understand really what happened.
直到今天我们还在承受后果。
We're still having it to this day.
酷。
Cool.
嗯,这个不错。
Well, that's a nice one.
那是牛蛙吗?
That's a bullfrog?
好的。
Okay.
那是只鸡。
That's a chicken.
就在那儿。
That's right there.
那是鸡肉。
That's chicken.
那就是我们所说的鸡肉。
That's what we call chicken.
你看起来饿了。
You look hungry.
青蛙腿。
Frog legs.
嗯,你是不是
Well, did did you
你是不是停吃海鲜一段时间了,还是没停?
stop did you stop eating the seafood for a while or no?
在我们
After We
不得不。
had to.
你们不得不。
You had to.
天啊。
Oh, man.
我真是蠢到家了,兄弟。
I went to freaking beef, bro.
听着,老天爷知道,上帝知道,所有人都知道我们在路易斯安那都干过这事。
So, mean, Lord knows and God knows, everybody knows we all did it in Louisiana.
我们这辈子谁没犯过一两次浑。
All of us went bullae once or twice in our life.
好吧,我够爷们敢承认。
Well, I'm man enough to say it.
我认识那些渔猎监督官。
I know game wardens.
事实就是这样。
It is what it is.
等等。
Wait.
等等。
Wait.
等等。
Wait.
等一下。
Hold on.
我...我...我完全搞糊涂了。
I'm I'm I'm lost in translation here.
嗯。
Mhmm.
给我解释一下你刚才说的话。
Explain to me what you just said.
违法。
Illegal.
是吗?
Is it?
老实说,伙计。
I ain't gonna lie, man.
剪辑。
Edit.
剪辑。
Edit.
剪辑。
Edit.
剪辑。
Edit.
我不在乎。
I don't care.
这是以前的事了。
This is back in the day.
我们就这么说定了。
We're gonna say it like that.
哦,这得追溯到很久以前了。
You Oh, This is way back in day.
需要食物时,你就得去非法打猎。
Need food and you had to go do some illegal hunting.
我不会让我的家人挨饿。
I'm not gonna let my family starve.
在我让家人挨饿之前,我会采取行动。
Before I let my family go hungry, I'm I'm gonna do something about them.
我绝不会让家人饿肚子。
I'm not letting my family starve.
由于生计无着,所有阻止原油肆虐的努力都失败了,沿海居民开始抗议。
With no way to make a living and all efforts to stop the raging oil failing, coastal residents started protesting.
在我看来,现在是英国石油公司在发号施令,告诉政府该怎么做,而本应是政府主导才对。
It looks to me like we're living in a scenario where BP is calling the shots and telling the government how it's gonna be when it ought to be the other way around.
在日益动荡的局势中,英国石油公司向墨西哥湾沿岸居民提出了一个他们所谓的'机会'。
Amidst the growing unrest, BP made Gulf Coast residents an offer or as they called it, an opportunity.
这是路易斯安那州拉菲特市招聘会上的招聘人员。
This is a recruiter at an open house in Lafitte, Louisiana.
我们正在运作一个叫'机会船只'的项目,正如其名。
Well, we're working with a program called Vessels of Opportunity, and it's just that.
这是渔民们的机会,让他们在无法正常作业时,能利用自己的船只工作。
It's an opportunity for fishermen, to put their boats to work in a time when, unfortunately, they're not able to conduct their normal operations.
至于'机会船只'项目,当然是由英国石油公司管理的。
So as far as Vessels of Opportunity goes, of course, it's administered through BP.
机会船只计划,即VUE项目,基本上就是这样一个安排。
Vessels of Opportunity, or the VUE program, was basically this arrangement.
既然你们无法继续原来的工作,那就来为我们工作吧。
Since you can't do what you do, come work for us instead.
帮助英国石油公司清理漏油。
Help BP clean up the oil.
我们会付钱让你们清理漏油。
We'll pay you to clean up the oil.
成千上万的人接受了这个提议,或者说这个机会。
Thousands took the offer, or the opportunity.
我是凯莱布·布罗。
So I'm Caleb Bro.
我一生都住在路易斯安那州。
I've been living in Louisiana all my life.
我是这种文化的一部分。
I am part of the culture.
我就是路易斯安那的一部分。
I am part of Louisiana.
凯莱布·布罗经营着一家园林绿化公司,主要业务集中在路易斯安那州格兰德岛这个堰洲岛小镇上。
Caleb Bro had a landscaping company that did most of its business in a barrier island town called Grand Isle, Louisiana.
园林绿化属于奢侈品,所以当时根本没人做这行。
With landscaping, it's a luxury, so nobody was doing landscaping.
你知道,正常生活就这么突然停滞了。
You know, normal life just kinda came to a halt.
于是他加入了朋友的船队,报名参加了'机会船只'项目,希望能为清理工作出一份力。
So he joined a friend's boat crew and signed up for the vessels of opportunity, hoping to make a difference on the cleanup.
我们总是互相帮助,共渡风暴、泄漏和任何难关。
We're always here to help each other through storms, through spills, through anything.
你总能看到路易斯安那人互相帮助的身影。
You always see Louisianians helping each other.
我是说,这就是我们的作风。
I mean, that's what we do.
你当时具体负责什么工作?
And what was your job?
就是,具体
Like, what was
日常工作内容是什么?
your day to day like?
你们当时
What were
实际在那边做什么?
you actually out there doing?
最初我们的主要工作是布设硬质和软质围油栏。
So our main job at the beginning, we were putting out a hard and soft boom.
你会经常听到这个词——围油栏。
You're gonna hear this word a lot, boom.
软质围油栏是一种卷起的吸油材料,用于清理泄漏油污。
Soft boom is a rolled up absorbent material used for cleaning spills.
想象一条穿着巨大袜子的巨型森蚺。
Imagine a giant anaconda wearing a giant sock.
它可能有数百英尺长。
It can be hundreds of feet long.
它被放置在海洋中。
It's laid in the ocean.
软围栏的理念是通过吸收石油来清理泄漏。
And the idea with soft boom is soft boom soaks up oil, thus cleaning the spill.
还有硬围栏,由塑料或金属制成,将石油限制在指定区域内。
Then there's also hard boom, made of plastic or metal, which traps the oil in a designated area.
我们当时正在固定它们,往地里打桩,准备迎接所谓的'大爆炸'。
And we were anchoring them out and and putting stakes in the ground and prepping waiting for the big bang, so to speak.
因为我们知道它即将到来。
Because we knew it was coming.
这几乎就像等待飓风一样,你知道的。
It was almost like waiting for a hurricane, you know.
我们知道它就在那里。
We knew it was out there.
我们不断收到关于它位置的报告,所以最初我们的主要工作就是做好准备。
We're getting reports of where it was at, and so that was that was our main job at the beginning is just getting ready.
在数百英里以东的佛罗里达州德斯廷,一位名叫乔伊·耶克斯的商业渔民也在为石油的到来做准备。
Hundreds of miles east, in Destin, Florida, a commercial fisherman named Joey Yerkes was also bracing himself for the arrival of the oil.
所以墨西哥湾被关闭了。
So the Gulf was closed.
我们没法捕鱼了。
We couldn't fish.
我们失业了。
We were out of work.
乔伊原本是个撒网捕鱼的渔夫。
Joey had been a cast net fisherman.
他捕的是雪茄鱼,这种小鱼很适合用来钓石斑鱼和鲷鱼。
He caught cigarminos, a small fish good for baiting grouper and snapper.
实际上我们被纳入了VOO项目,每天都有工资拿。
We were actually activated in the VOO program and being paid every day.
就算不出海,我们待命也能领钱。
Even if we didn't go on the water, we were being paid to stand by.
所以,好吧。
So, okay.
所以我们准备好了。
So we were ready.
你知道的,我们是百分百准备好了。
You know, we were a 100% ready.
在路易斯安那州,油污开始成片地冲上岸。
Back in Louisiana, patches of oil were beginning to wash up on shore.
他们会派我们出去收集油污,我们实际上会把软质围油栏从一艘船连到另一艘船,然后像拖网那样拖行,把油污围住。
They would send us out to try to collect the patches, and we would actually, connect soft boom from one boat to the other and we drag, almost like dragging a trawl, and to encompass the awl.
当围油栏吸满油污时,他们会把它从水里拉出来,然后把油污转移到垃圾袋里处理掉。
When a boom would fill up with oil, they'd pull it out of the water then transfer the boom into garbage bags for disposal.
你知道,那就像是一个持续不断的清理过程。
It was a kind of a constant cleanup process, you know.
我们当时在查理公司工作,对此我们感到相当自豪。
We were on Charlie company which we were kind of proud of.
我们自称是那里最勤奋的工人,你知道,我们这些卡津人都在船上工作。
We called ourselves the hardest workers out there, you know, all of us Cajuns in the in the boats.
你觉得你们当时有取得进展吗?还是没有?
Did you feel like you were making progress or or no?
是的。
Yeah.
我是说,某种程度上我们确实有进展。
I mean, somewhat we were.
我的意思是,我们能分辨出哪些区域已经处理过,然后开始收集那些沾满原油的软质围油栏。
I mean, we could tell what what areas we hit, and you start picking up the the boom, the soft boom that had a lot of oil on it.
感觉这样确实有点帮助。
It felt like it was helping a little bit.
对凯莱布·布罗来说,情况看起来很糟,但没他预想的那么糟糕。
For Caleb Bro, the situation seemed bad, but not as bad as he was expecting.
他怀抱着希望,认为只要大家持续不断地工作,就能拯救墨西哥湾。
He had hope that if everyone just kept working and working, they would save the Gulf.
在佛罗里达州,乔伊也有着同样的信念。
Over in Florida, Joey had that same spirit.
他迫不及待要对抗漏油事故,而他的等待终于结束了。
He was raring to fight the spill, and his wait was over.
然后他们终于给我们打电话了。
Then they finally called us up.
对吧?
Right?
从明天早上开始,你们就被激活并要投入实地工作了。
As of tomorrow morning, you are activated and gonna be in the field.
我说,太好了。
I said, great.
你知道,我们庆祝了一下。
You know, we celebrate.
我们出发了。
Here we go.
我们终于能做点事情了,你懂的。
We get to do something, you know.
我们起飞后穿过山口,沿着海边一路南下。
We took off and went out the pass, and we we went down the oceanside.
我们决定就这么往西开,看看能不能发现石油。
And we decided just to drive west and see if we saw any oil.
我们其实没指望能看到多少,当时我还开着测深仪。
We really didn't expect to see much, and I had my depth sounder on at the time.
测深仪是一种利用声纳技术、在屏幕上显示船只下方水深度的工具。
A depth sounder is a tool that uses sonar to display on a screen how deep the water is beneath your boat.
我永远忘不了测深仪的屏幕突然全黑的那一刻。
And I'll never forget the depth sounder just the screen just went black.
从上到下,一片漆黑。
Completely black, top to bottom.
我们真的搞不清楚发生了什么。
So we really couldn't figure out what was going on.
我们又往前开了一点,再往前一点,然后开始闻到气味。
We went a little bit further, little bit further, and we started to smell it.
当我们从船舷望出去,才意识到我们撞上了一堵油墙——说到这个我就难受。
Then we looked over the side and realized that we had run into a wall of oil coming makes me upset when I talk about this.
那是一堵正向我们家园逼近的油墙。
So that was a wall of oil that was heading towards our home.
那真是个'完蛋了'的时刻。
And that was an oh shit moment.
我和我的甲板水手,我们都崩溃了。
My deckhand and I, I mean, both broke down.
我们直接哭了出来。
We just started crying.
对吧?
Right?
这比我们想象的严重多了,因为我们之前只是听说而已。
This was way bigger than we ever imagined it would be because we were only hearing stories.
你知道,他们总说'没大家说的那么糟'。
They were, you know, it's not as bad as everybody says.
我们撞上了那堵油墙。
We ran into that wall of oil.
这句话真的触动了我。
That really hit me.
我们深知这片深爱的海洋正面临巨大危机。
We knew that that our ocean that we love so much was in big, big trouble.
当那一刻来临,完全是另一个世界,另一个层面。
When that came, that was that was a whole another world, whole another level.
回到路易斯安那海岸,零星的油污已被绵延数英里的浮油取代。
Back off the coast of Louisiana, the occasional patches were replaced by miles long oil slicks.
目之所及,尽是石油。
And as far as you can see, you can see oil.
我的意思是,我们完全置身其中。
And I mean, we were in it.
这不是零星几处油污的问题。
Like, there was no it wasn't a riding around a patch here or there.
我们完全被包围了。
Like, we were in it.
最令我记忆深刻的是那股气味。
The biggest thing that I remember was the smell.
那气味浓烈得令人窒息。
The smell was just so intense.
这种石油的刺鼻气味无处不在,无法逃避。
This petroleum, just this intense smell, and you couldn't escape it.
你能清楚地感觉到自己正在吸入这些气体。
You couldn't you knew you were breathing it in.
不管你做了什么,反正你已深陷其中。
Didn't matter what you what you did, it was you were in it.
我是说,你知道那种感觉——眼睛被熏得生疼,一天下来喉咙沙哑得几乎说不出话。但他们还是派我们出去,试图做点什么,试图阻止这一切。
I mean, you know, the way it was burning your eyes, our throats at the end of the day, we could barely talk, But they were sending us out there to try to do something, to try to stop it.
你知道吗?
And you know what?
我们都去了。
We we all went.
就像,我们都在尽力而为。
Like, we we were trying our best to do what we can.
但凯勒布说,面对那么多石油,爆破根本无济于事。
But Caleb says booms were just useless against that amount of oil.
他承认他们再也跟不上漏油的速度了。
He admits they just couldn't keep up with the spill anymore.
你知道吗,那一刻我感觉到了——好吧,我们真的应付不了这个局面。
You know, that's the point where I felt like, okay, we we can't handle this.
我们这是在,你知道,浪费时间。
We this you know, we're wasting time.
我们在这里做的事真的毫无成效。
That's really what we're doing is not accomplishing anything right here.
我们需要想出更好的方法。
We need to figure out a better method like this.
这样行不通。
This isn't working.
因为从未有过如此规模、如此深度的泄漏,阻止它已经考验了人类技术的极限。
Because there's never been a leak this size, at this depth, stopping it has tested the limits of human technology.
政府、海岸警卫队和英国石油公司为无法封堵海底井口的行为找到了理由。
The inability to plug the wellhead at the bottom of the ocean was rationalized by the administration, the Coast Guard, and BP.
官方的说法是:这种情况前所未有。
The official story was, The situation is unprecedented.
可以理解我们无法阻止泄漏,因为深水钻井极其复杂。
It's understandable that we aren't able to stop the leak because deepwater drilling is highly complex.
确实如此。
And it is.
我们过去能在近岸处钻探石油,但油井枯竭后,现在不得不向更远处进发。
We used to be able to drill for oil closer to shore, but wells ran dry, now we have to venture further out.
他们尝试封堵井口的许多策略过去都曾奏效,因为这些方法从未在5000英尺的深度实施过。
Many of the strategies that they were attempting to close the wellhead had worked in the past because they weren't being tried at a depth of 5,000 feet.
尽管如此,完全无法清理海面浮油的事实更难以自圆其说。
That said, the absolute inability to clean the surface oil was much more difficult to rationalize.
我们现在看到数千平方英里的海域被这种可怕的油污覆盖。
We now see thousands of square miles with this awful sludge.
这是马萨诸塞州国会议员埃德·马基。
This is Massachusetts congressman Ed Markey.
他现在是参议员,但当时作为能源与环境小组委员会主席,在漏油事件期间主持了多场听证会。
He's a senator now, but at the time, he was the chairman of the Energy and Environment Subcommittee, which held hearings throughout the spill.
英国石油公司曾将最坏情况设定为每天向海洋泄漏25万桶石油。
BP identified a worst case scenario as a leak that would release 250,000 barrels of oil per day into the ocean.
嗯哼。
Uh-uh.
当时,英国石油公司的立场是每天有5000桶石油泄漏到墨西哥湾。
At this point, it was BP's position that 5,000 barrels of oil per day were spilling into The Gulf.
但埃德·马基指出,英国石油公司曾向联邦政府保证,他们有能力处理每天25万桶的石油泄漏。
But Ed Markey pointed out that BP had certified with the federal government that they were prepared to handle a spill of 250,000 barrels of oil per day.
那为什么他们连5000桶都应付不了?
So why were they struggling with 5,000 barrels?
他质问英国石油美国公司董事长兼总裁拉马尔·麦凯。
He questioned Lamar McKay, chairman and president of BP America.
你真的认为今天还能再次保证你们能应对每天25万桶的泄漏吗?
Do you really think that you can certify again today that you could respond to a spill of 250,000 barrels per day?
我们正在竭尽全力。
We're doing everything we can.
我相信我们会从中吸取教训。
I believe that we will learn things through this.
毫无疑问。
There's no doubt.
而且我相信这些认证将基于我们现有的认知。
And and I believe that that those certifications will be with the knowledge that we have.
我只希望你们今天能更谦逊些,承认自己能力不足。
I just wish that you had a little more humility here today and and an admission that you don't have it.
上周,你们试图用
Last week, you tried to plug the leaks with
在整个听证会上,他们基本上都在各说各话,双方都不肯让步。
They mostly spoke past one another for the entire hearing, with neither side really giving an inch.
我听到的是他们在争论这场灾难的真正严重程度。
What I'm hearing is them argue over the true magnitude of this disaster.
而且我不认为这能用数字真正表达清楚。
And I'm not convinced that can truly be articulated in numbers.
在我脑海中的深水地平线事件里,我记得当时很多关注点都在漏油量上。
In the Deepwater Horizon story I had in my head, I remember there being a lot of focus on the amount of oil.
我确实记得新闻报道强调每天56万桶这个数字。
I do remember news reports emphasizing five sixty thousand barrels a day.
这些数字被紧急地反复提及。
These numbers were stated with urgency.
我也记得当时在心里反应道:是的,这非常非常糟糕。
And I do remember reacting in my mind that, yes, this is very, very bad.
但我很难从情感上理解这些数字对墨西哥湾居民意味着什么。
But I had trouble comprehending emotionally what those numbers really meant for the people of The Gulf.
我认为讲述如此重大事件的故事本身就存在固有挑战。
I think it's an inherent challenge in telling the story of something this monumental.
因为我了解到这涉及到一个关于大数字的心理现象。
Because I've learned that there's this psychological phenomenon involving large numbers.
基本上,人类非常不擅长理解大数字。
Basically, human beings are really bad at understanding them.
它们对我们来说太抽象了,我们很难在情感上处理它们。
They're abstract to us, and we're terrible at processing them emotionally.
如果你听说2010年可能有10万只海龟死亡,或者超过40亿只牡蛎因漏油事件而死亡。
So if you heard back in 2010 that maybe a 100,000 sea turtles died, or over 4,000,000,000 oysters died as a result of the spill.
如果觉得这些数字难以理解,别太苛责自己。
Don't beat yourself up if that felt impossible to grasp.
这可能就是为什么漏油事件发生后,全国范围内的愤怒情绪比你预期的要少。
It might be why there was less national outrage than you might expect in the aftermath of the spill.
这个数字实在太庞大了。
It was just too big.
直到我采访了像乔伊·耶克斯这样的渔民,才开始真正理解这一切。
I only started to really understand all this when I spoke to the fishermen, like Joey Yerkes.
我和海洋之间有种联系,就像所有渔民一样。
I had a connection with the ocean, just like all fishermen do.
他们与水有着不解之缘。
They have a connection with the water.
这是流淌在你血液里的东西。
It's in your blood.
它贯穿你的血脉。
It runs through your veins.
那才是让你感到自在的地方。
That's where you're comfortable.
这些人确实能感受到那些庞大的数字。
These were people who did feel those large numbers.
即使在糟糕的日子里,即使大自然把你折腾得够呛,或者闪电击中你的船,这些事情都会让你意识到,我就在这里坚持着。
Even on a rough day, even when mother nature just kicks the shit out of you, or you have lightning strike your boat, those are the things that make you realize that, you know, I'm here doing it.
这一切都是其中的一部分。
It's all part of it.
你明白吗?
You know?
人们会问,你知道的,为什么要去经历那种恶劣天气,或者把生命置于危险之中,比如商业捕鱼这类事情。
People ask, you know, why would you want to, you know, go through that rough weather or, you know, put your life in danger, commercial fishing, that kind of thing.
这是流淌在你血液里的东西。
It's in your blood.
这就是你的生活方式。
It's what you do.
大自然是其中的一部分。
Mother nature is a part of it.
她永远都在那里。
She's always gonna be there.
你无法控制它,所以必须接受它。
You can't control it, so you have to embrace it.
泄漏事故后,他们做出了艰难的选择,为那个夺走他们生计的公司工作。
After the spill, they made the difficult choice to work for the same company that took their livelihoods away from them.
你知道的,我们只是为了谋生做了必须做的事。
And that's, you know, we just did what we had to do to make a living.
他们长时间工作,弯着腰把脸贴在原油上,连续数周呼吸着油气的味道。
They worked long shifts, bent over the sides of their boats with their faces in crude oil, breathing its fumes for weeks and weeks of breaths.
努力想要把海洋清洗干净却徒劳无功。
Trying and failing to scrub their ocean clean of it.
但一位应急船只的工作人员告诉我,清理工作正在取得进展。
But one vessels of opportunity worker told me that progress was happening on the cleanup.
只是这些进展似乎与他正在做的工作毫无关系。
It was just progress that didn't seem to have anything to do with the work that he was doing.
水面上正在发生一些他无法解释的事情。
Something he couldn't explain was happening out on the water.
石油消失了。
The oil vanished.
所以,我是说
So, I mean
你什么意思?什么叫消失了?
What do you mean what do you mean it vanished?
消失了。
Vanished.
就像,完全不见了。
Like, completely gone.
比如,它是在多长时间内消失的?
Like, in what period of time did it did it vanish?
你是说一夜之间,还是几天之内?
Are you saying overnight, over a couple days?
对。
Yeah.
一夜之间。
Overnight.
一夜之间。
Overnight.
这有点奇怪。
That's what was kinda strange.
就像,你知道的,它本来在那里,然后就消失了。
Like, you know, it all was there, and then it vanished.
我从几位沿海居民那里听说了这件事,我在想,一英里长的浮油怎么可能一夜之间消失?
I heard this from a couple coastal residents, and I thought, how the hell does a mile long oil slick disappear overnight?
现在回到墨西哥湾漏油事件。
Now back to the Gulf oil spill.
BP公司坚持使用Corexit这种石油分散剂。
BP has stuck with the oil dispersant, Core Exit.
BP公司表示Corexit是清理大规模漏油最有效的选择。
The BP says Core Exit is the most effective option to clean up the huge spill.
这是2010年的新闻报道,介绍了联合指挥部曾用来尝试清除石油的方法。
This is a news report from 2010, covering a method Unified Command had been using to try and get rid of the oil.
这种特定产品的毒性至少比日常家用洗洁精低25倍。
The toxicity of this particular product is at least 25 times less toxic than common dishwashing soap that everybody uses in their house on a day to day basis.
这种分散剂几乎在墨西哥湾各处使用。
This is the dispersant being used just about everywhere in The Gulf.
我们的做法是,取一些原油,把它放在水面上。
What we do, we take some crude oil, and we put it on top of the water.
他们使用了一种名为Corexit的化学分散剂。
They used a chemical dispersant called Corexit.
在报告中,你可以看到化学品制造商的代表正在演示其工作原理。
In the report, you see a representative from the chemicals manufacturer giving a demonstration of how it works.
你会看到那里的信号声,它显示了分散剂分子到达油水交界区域的速度,这非常关键。
What you'll see there, that ping indicates how quickly the dispersant molecules get to that region between the oil and the water, and that is absolutely key.
你可以看到分散剂开始对石油产生作用。
You can see that the dispersant starts having an effect on the oil.
分散剂将石油分解成微小液滴,这些液滴最终会被分解。
The dispersant breaks up the oil into tiny droplets, which will eventually decompose.
如果没有分散剂,石油只会浮在表面。
Without the dispersant, the oil just sits on the surface.
国防部已经批准了行动。
The Department of Defense gave the go ahead.
国防部长批准了一项请求,允许两架C-130飞机喷洒石油分散剂,每架飞机每天执行三次任务,每次可覆盖250英亩海域。
The secretary of defense has approved a request for two c one thirty aircraft to dispense oil dispersing chemicals capable covering up to 250 acres per flight with three flights per aircraft per day.
有视频显示飞机从巨大的塑料桶中装载Corexit分散剂,然后在整个海洋上空喷洒。
There are videos of airplanes being loaded up with Corexit from huge plastic tubs then raining the dispersant down all over the ocean.
老兄,你知道该选哪个位置喷洒吗?
I do you know where to pick a spot out, man?
到处都是。
It's everywhere.
继续喷洒。
Spray on.
继续喷洒。
Spray on.
喷洒下去。
Spray on.
联合指挥部似乎对这种方法非常热衷。
Unified command seemed enthusiastic about this method.
加仑数在不断累积。
The gallons were racking up.
到今天结束时,我们将已经使用了超过10万加仑的分散剂。
End of the day today, we will we will have applied over a 100,000 gallons of dispersant.
迄今为止已使用了139,459加仑分散剂。
A 139,459 gallons of dispersant have been used to date.
我们正接近百万加仑大关。
We're approaching the million gallon mark.
我们成功使用了42,000加仑分散剂。
We successfully applied 42,000 gallons of dispersant.
这几乎是昨天总量的两倍,而昨天又是前一天的两倍。
This almost doubles yesterday's total, which had doubled the day before.
他们对使用如此乐观,尽管分散剂本应用于水面,当局还是允许将一根巨型管道下放到海底,直接将大量核心xit泵入泄漏的油柱中。
They were so bullish on their use that although dispersants were intended to be used on the surface of the water, authorities permitted the lowering of a giant pipe to the bottom of the ocean, where they pumped a stream of corexit directly into the leaking plume of oil.
这种技术从未在5000英尺的深度尝试过。
This technique had never been attempted at a depth of 5,000 feet.
这就是深水地平线事件的另一个版本——一个我从未知晓的故事——开始的地方。
And this is where a different version of the Deepwater Horizon story, one that I never knew, begins.
下次《涟漪》节目继续讲述。
That's next time on Ripple.
《涟漪》由Western Sound和APM Studios联合制作。
Ripple is produced by Western Sound and APM Studios.
本节目由我Dan Leone为Western Sound创作。
It's created by me, Dan Leone, for Western Sound.
Ben Adair担任执行制片人。
Ben Adair is the executive producer.
Erica Krause是APM Studios的执行制片人。
Erica Krause is the executive producer for APM Studios.
《涟漪》由我Dan Leone撰写并主持。
Ripple is written and hosted by me, Dan Leone.
Betsy Shepherd担任高级记者兼制片人。
Betsy Shepherd is the senior reporter and producer.
Colin McNulty负责剪辑工作。
Colin McNulty is the editor.
原创音乐由我本人创作。
Original music is composed by me.
音效设计由我和Alex McGinnis共同完成。
Sound design by me and Alex McGinnis.
Alex负责节目的混音和母带处理。
Alex mixed and mastered the show.
Sarah Dealey和Stella Hartman担任副制片人。
Sarah Dealey and Stella Hartman are the associate producers.
调研与事实核查由Savannah Wright负责,Betsy Shepherd提供补充核查。
Research and fact checking by Savannah Wright with additional fact checking by Betsy Shepherd.
补充报道由海莉·福克斯提供。
Additional reporting by Hayley Fox.
尼克·瑞安是APM工作室的高级制作经理。
Nick Ryan is APM Studios' senior production manager.
APM工作室的负责高管是乔安妮·格里菲斯、亚历克斯·沙弗特和钱德拉·卡瓦蒂。
And the executives in charge for APM Studios are Joanne Griffith, Alex Shaffert, and Chandra Kavati.
想了解更多您所听到的内容,请访问我们的网站ripplepodcast.org。
To learn more about what you've heard, visit our website at ripplepodcast.org.
关于 Bayt 播客
Bayt 提供中文+原文双语音频和字幕,帮助你打破语言障碍,轻松听懂全球优质播客。