本集简介
双语字幕
仅展示文本字幕,不包含中文音频;想边听边看,请使用 Bayt 播客 App。
你读了这么多。
You've read so much.
你写得也很多。
You write so much.
你拥有像经历过许多许多生世的人那样的智慧。
You have the the wisdom of a of someone who is who has lived many, many lives.
顺便说一下,阅读就是这样的。
That's what reading is, by the way.
你明白我的意思吗?
You know what I mean?
阅读也许是唯一能让你体验多重人生的方式。
Reading is is maybe the only way that you can live multiple lives.
想想那些做过疯狂事、开创性的事、可怕事的数百万人,你就会想到所有的智慧。
Like, you think about the millions of people who have done crazy things, groundbreaking things, terrible things, and you think of all that wisdom.
这一切都在书里,而且你知道,才十美元。
It's all there in books, and, you know, it's $10.
有时候只要一美元。
Sometimes it's a dollar.
不过,难道不觉得这些智慧惊人地相似吗?
Isn't it funny how similar the wisdom is, though?
是的。
Yeah.
我觉得你读得越多,就越能发现一些共同的主题,东西方哲学最终就像一个马蹄铁,会在两端汇聚在一起。
I think the more you read that you you come up with some sort of themes, it boils down Eastern and Western philosophy, kind of like a horseshoe, you know, they come come come together towards the the ends.
但是
But
这些主题是什么?
What are those themes?
我必须知道的关于过好生活的主题有哪些?
What are the themes of living a good life that I must know?
首先,比如说,你要专注于你能控制的事情。
First would be, let's say, you you focus on what's in your control.
比如,哪些是你能掌控的。
Like, what's up to you.
好的。
Okay.
这在日常生活中具体意味着什么?
What does that mean in practical in in day to day life?
比如有人在路上插我的队。
So someone cuts me off in traffic.
是的。
Yeah.
有人不喜欢你做的某件事,或者天气不好。
Somebody you don't somebody doesn't like something that you did, the weather.
你知道的。
You know?
你花了多少精力去对那些你无法掌控的事情感到情绪化、抱怨或担忧?
How much of your energy are you spending emoting about, complaining about, worrying about things that are not up to you?
那么,斯多葛学派中有没有什么具体的例子呢?
And what do the is there any particular examples from stoicism where?
爱比克泰德说,这正是我们人生中的首要任务:将事情分为两类。
Well, Epictetus is, like, that's our first job in life, to separate things into two categories.
这件事是由我掌控的,还是不是由我掌控的?
Is this up to me, or is this not up to me?
这其实是个资源分配的问题。
And it's a resource allocation issue.
对吧?
Right?
如果你把一半的精力都花在那些你无法控制的事情上,那就意味着你只有一半的精力能用在你能产生影响的事情上。
Like, if you are focusing your energy, even half of it on stuff that's not up to you, that's half your energy that's not being focused on the stuff you can make a difference on.
这就像是把汽车一半的动力都给了那些不接触地面的轮子。
It's like that'd be like putting 50% of the the power of your car on the wheels that aren't touching the ground.
你知道的?
You know?
你应该把精力放在能产生效果的地方。
Like, you wanna put it where it's gonna get traction.
这是生活中关键的一点。
That's the a key thing in life.
这件事是你能掌控的,还是不能掌控的?
Is this up to you or not?
第二,水有一种神奇的力量,长时间散步也有某种魔力。
Number two, there's something magical about water and there's something magical about long walks.
我们往往在这些时刻找到平静、灵感、安宁与沉静。
This is where we find a lot of peace, find a lot of inspiration, find a lot of calmness and stillness.
我不是说散步能解决你所有的问题。
Like, I'm not saying that taking a walk will solve all of your problems.
我只是说,几乎没有什么问题是散步会让它变得更糟的。
I'm just saying that there's very few problems that are made worse by taking a walk.
下水游泳或跳进海里也是一样的道理。
Same goes for jumping in the swimming pool or the ocean.
你知道的。
You know?
你觉得这两件事为什么如此特别?
What is it about those two things that you believe
我的意思是,你看。
I mean, look.
我认为我们人类在进化过程中走了很长的距离。
I think we evolved traveling very long distances.
我的意思是,美洲最早的人类证据之一,是两万年前在如今的新墨西哥州白沙地区,一位母亲抱着孩子、放下、再抱起、再放下的脚印。
I mean, some of the oldest evidence of human beings in America are a set of footprints of a mother carrying and setting down carrying and setting down a child twenty thousand years ago in White Sand what is now White Sands, New Mexico.
就像,自从有人类以来,我们一直在做这样的事。
Like, that's just what we've been doing for as long as there have been people.
而这种节奏、这种运动,能让我们放慢脚步,迫使我们思考,让我们更加专注当下。
And there's something about the rhythm of it, the movement of it that slows us down, forces us to think, makes us very present.
这简直就是魔法。
It's just magic.
我认为每一种宗教传统或禅宗花园都有喷泉之类的东西,这背后一定有原因。
And I think there's a reason that every religious tradition or Zen garden has a water fountain or something.
你知道,水的声音就是有种特别的魔力。
You know, there's just something about sound of water.
确实如此。
It's so true.
我所有的最佳想法通常都是在健身房或淋浴时产生的。
All of my best ideas either come usually in the gym or in the shower.
是的。
Yeah.
我其实不太走路,因为您
I mean, I don't do a lot of walking because I You
明白了。
got it.
但在健身房、淋浴时,我总能获得顿悟的时刻。
But in the gym, in the shower, I seem to get my my epiphany moments.
是的。
Yes.
暂时放下手头的事情去做这些事,常常能解锁很多灵感。
Taking a break from what you're doing to go do one of those things often unlocks a lot of stuff.
好的。
Okay.
你每天都把这个当作一种仪式吗?
And you have that as a ritual every day?
每天都这样。
Every day.
嗯。
Yeah.
每一天都这样吗?
Every single day?
是的。
Yeah.
我每天都试着散步。
I try to take a walk every day.
你生活中还有哪些类似的仪式?
What else are sort of rituals in your life?
日常的仪式?
The daily rituals?
所以我要补充第三个,作为一个仪式,我会说,每天都要做一件困难的事。
So I would add as a third one, as a ritual, I'd be I'd say, like, do something hard every day.
比如,每天做一件身体上具有挑战性的事。
Like, do something physically difficult every day.
挑战自我、突破极限和边界,这是一种至关重要的实践和技能,能帮助你应对生活中的一切。
The art of challenging oneself and pushing those limits and boundaries, that is a essential practice and skill that will help you whatever life has in store for you.
这是不是清单上的第三项?
And is that is that the third one on this list
第三项。
of the third.
好的。
Okay.
我喜欢这个。
Love that one.
所以每天做点困难的事,范围可以从不吃芝士汉堡这么小的事,到跑马拉松这么大的事。
So do something difficult every day, and that ranges from as small as not eating the cheeseburger to as big as running a marathon.
是的。
Yeah.
我的意思是,不吃芝士汉堡,我不太会说,呃。
I mean, not eating the cheeseburger, that's not I wouldn't put the I I I wouldn't go, hey.
我今天真的挑战了自己。
Like, I really challenged myself today.
我没吃垃圾食品。
I didn't eat garbage.
我会说,这是我自己做的积极的事。
I would say it's like, here's the positive thing that I did.
对吧?
Right?
我是真的举了重物。
Like, I lifted solid.
我搬了沉重的石头。
I lifted heavy rocks.
好吧。
Okay.
你知道的,我去进行了短跑。
You know, I went for a I did some sprinting.
我去骑了自行车。
I went for a bike ride.
你知道的,我去跑了步。
You know, I I went for a run.
我上了一节动感单车课。
I took a spin class.
你知道的,不管是什么。
You know, whatever it is.
散步不算数。
The walk doesn't count.
散步是为了心理健康。
The walk is for the mental health.
那你得为身体健康做点什么。
Then you gotta do something for the physical health.
好的。
Okay.
所以第四点,我觉得我们得在这里写点什么,比如我们是彼此注定的。
So four, I think we have to put something here about, like, we are made for each other.
对吧?
Right?
意义这个概念来自于服务或贡献于公共利益。
The the idea of meaning comes from servicing or contributing to the common good.
马克·苏雷利亚斯在冥想中可能说了四十到五十次共同利益。
Mark Sourelias talks about the common good maybe forty, fifty times in meditations.
你知道,他说我们来到这里是为了别人。
You know, he says, like, we're we're put here for other people.
我们的职责是帮助他人,让这个世界比你来的时候更好,比你发现它的时候更好。
Our job is to is to help others to, you know, leave this place better than you like, leave this place better than you found it.
对我来说,这就是生命的真谛。
To me, that's the meaning of life right there.
那么,积极的贡献是什么?
So what is the positive contribution?
你留下的遗产是什么?
What is the legacy you're leaving?
不是你赚了多少钱?
Not how much money did you make?
你打破了什么纪录,但你为集体做出了什么贡献?这才是意义和目的,坦率地说,也是你作为人类的义务。
What records did you break, but what contribution is you are making to the collective that's meaning and purpose and, quite frankly, your obligation as a human being.
服务。
Service.
塔迪斯。
Tardis.
服务。
Service.
那么第五个,第五个是我
Then the fifth one the fifth one is is is I
我想在那里停一下,我忘了请你举个斯多葛学派第三个例子。
wanted to just pause there, and I forgot to ask you for an example on third one from stoicism.
做一件困难的事?
Of doing something hard?
对。
Yeah.
比如一个
Like a
我的意思是,古希腊人会练习摔跤。
I mean, the Greeks trained in wrestling.
健身房是罗马人生活的核心部分。
The gymnasia was the central part of the of Roman life.
你知道,你会去那里训练。
You know, you'd go and you'd you'd train.
你知道吗?
You know?
他们训练时的目标是什么?
And what what were they aiming at when they were training?
手段是为了
What were the means to
一个强大的心灵和强健的体魄,不要变得松软懒惰。
A strong mind and a strong body, like, to not be flabby and lazy and
不是为了互相争斗,而是为了
Not to fight each other or anything, but to
不。
No.
但我的意思是,搏击运动中似乎有一种非常原始的东西,我认为这对你是有好处的。
But, I mean, there's something about combat sports, you know, that I think is is very primal and probably good for you.
你知道,那种挑战自我、不过那种久坐不动的生活方式的感觉。
You know, just something about the challenge of of pushing oneself, not living the sort of sedentary lifestyle.
我认为,无论你谈论的是禅宗佛教徒练习武术,还是罗马人练习摔跤,哲学传统都表明,认为哲学家是软弱的是错误的。
I I think that's you know, whether you're talking about Zen Buddhist practicing martial arts or you're talking about the Romans, you know, practicing wrestling, I think the philosophical tradition is it it's it's wrong to think of philosophers as soft.
我总是想知道,人类是否天生就需要斗争。
I always wonder if there's something innate in human beings that we were designed to need struggle.
就像我们被设计成这样,因为如果你想想,我们身处一座大建筑里,周围都是人类创造的种种东西,而我们的祖先正是通过不断奋斗才创造了这一切。
Like we're designed to because if you think about we're in a big building here and with all these all these stuff that humans came up with and the cameras that they they our ancestors just struggled forward to create all this stuff.
所以,是否有可能,他们在我体内留下了一些东西,告诉我:你也必须奋力前行?
So is it conceivable that they left something in me that says you too shall struggle forward?
是的。
Yeah.
你是那些跨越海洋、征战沙场、战胜恶劣环境、经历贫困与萧条、付出牺牲与奋斗的人的后裔。
You're you are an heir to people who crossed oceans, fought in wars, braved the elements, you know, lived through poverty and depressions, sacrificed, struggled.
你知道吗?
You know?
他们做到了这一切,而这些品质也存在于你身上。
They did all that, and you have that in you.
你知道吗?
You know?
这些品质存在于你身上。
You have that in you.
我们每个人都是如此。
We all do.
而我们现在却在用手机点糖果。
And here we are ordering candy on my phone.
由机器人完成。
By a robot.
而且,空调的温度没达到我想要的精确程度。
And and going, the air conditioning isn't at the exact temperature that I want it to be.
第五点呢?
And number five?
在所有宗教和哲学传统中,第五点都有一种形式的‘memento mori’(勿忘你终有一死)的实践。
Number five across all religious and philosophical traditions, there is some version of the practice of memento mori.
记住,你终有一死,生命是短暂的。
Remember, you are mortal, that life is short.
谈谈你无法控制的事情清单上的头号事项吧。
Talk about top of the list of things that you don't control.
对吧?
Right?
死亡。
Death.
就是死亡。
It is death.
而接受并顺应这一事实的意识、紧迫感和由此带来的视角,是最核心的哲学实践之一。
And the acceptance and the submission to that fact, the awareness, the urgency, the perspective that that gives you is one of the most essential philosophical practices there is.
我们为什么总是拖延?
Like, why do we procrastinate?
我们为什么不好好重视健康?
Why do we not prioritize our health?
我们为什么不做那些明明知道该做的事?
Why do we not do the stuff that we know we should do?
因为我们以为自己有无限的时间。
It's because we think we have forever.
你知道的吧?
You know?
我们觉得自己是不死的。
We think we're invincible.
只有在疫情、医生的来电,或者亲人突然离世时,我们才会获得这些短暂的清醒时刻。
And it's only, you know, in light of a pandemic, call from the doctor, you know, a a loved one suddenly going, that we get these brief moments of clarity.
哦,等等。
Oh, wait.
该死。
Shit.
不。
No.
你随时可能离开人世。
You can go at any moment.
马克思的风险是,你随时可能离开人世。
Marx's risk is you could leave life right now.
让这一点决定你的所作所为、所说所想。
Let that determine what you do and say and think.
现在,如果他在埋葬了六个孩子的时候说这话,六个孩子,那就说明古代世界有多么致命和无情。
Now, if he's saying that in a time where he buried six children, six children, That's how deadly and unforgiving the ancient world was.
即使在那时,他也不得不提醒自己:别拖延。
And he was even then having to remind himself, hey, don't procrastinate.
别以为你有永远的时间。
Don't think you have forever.
你知道吗?
You know?
别把生命视为理所当然。
Don't take life for granted.
而在这里,你知道,当平均寿命比古代长得多,长到令人难以想象,你可能一辈子都见不到有人去世,直到自己躺在医院病床上时,我们生活在一个更封闭的泡泡里。
And here, you know, when the average lifespan is so much longer, like inconceivably long compared to the ancients, where you might never see someone die in your whole life until you are in a hospital bed, we live we live in even more of a bubble.
你知道,我们更加被保护着。
You know, we are even more sheltered.
我们更加脱离了死亡的现实。
We are even more detached from the reality of of our mortality.
正如人们所说,死亡是唯一从不失败的预言。
As they say, death is the only prophecy that never fails.
比如,人们会想,如果我发现自己得了癌症,我会做什么?
Like, people think about, like, well, what would I do if I found out that I had cancer?
比如,如果你从医生那里得到了一个绝症诊断,你会想:我会做出哪些改变?
Like, if you got a terminal diagnosis from a doctor, you go, what changes would I make?
但现实是,你确实有一个绝症诊断。
But the reality is you do have a terminal diagnosis.
也就是说,你一出生,医生就100%确定你终将一死。
Like, the second you were born, the doctor knew with a 100% certainty that you would die.
他只是不知道具体是什么时候。
He just didn't know when.
你知道,可能是八年之后。
You know, it could be eight years from now.
也可能是八十年之后。
It could be eight decades from now.
我们不知道。
We don't know.
但若活在对这一事实的无知或否认中,我认为,这往往会让人浪费生命。
But to live in ignorance or in rejection of that fact is to set yourself up, I think, more often than not to waste your life.
所以,要练习一下,嘿,此刻时间正在流逝。
And so some practice of, hey, time is ticking by now in this very moment.
我正在如何度过它?
How am I spending it?
后面有个计时器的声音。
There's a a sound timer behind
你身后。
you.
哦,真的有。
Oh, there is.
那就是那个声音。
That's that's just this there.
哦,对。
Oh, yeah.
对。
Yeah.
这太美了。
That's beautiful.
这声音让我想起了那种极其深远的命运。
Sounds to remind me of that very, very fate.
瑞安,在所有这些事情中,你一直最难以把握的斯多葛智慧是什么?
Of all these things, Ryan, what is the what is the stoic wisdom that you continually struggle with the most?
你知道,人们认为斯多葛主义是压抑情感。
You know, I think people think that stoicism is about the suppression of emotion.
这就是‘斯多葛’这个词在人们心中的含义。
That's what the word stoic means to people.
对吧?
Right?
冷漠、机械、超人等等。
Emotionless, robotic, superhuman, etcetera.
我完全不这么认为。
Don't think that's it at all.
我认为这是不可能的。
I don't think it's possible.
如果你压抑情绪,假装它们不存在,它们确实存在,并且终将显现出来。
If you're stuffing the emotions down, if you're pretending they don't exist, they do exist, and they will eventually reveal themselves.
你只是推迟了它们,也许还附带了一些利息。
You've just deferred it, maybe with some interest attached.
所以对我来说,当我感受到某种情绪时,当我有强烈的情绪时,就像我们对孩子们说的那样,你正在经历强烈的情绪。
So for me, when I'm feeling something, when I'm having big feelings, as we say to my kids, you're having big feelings.
那么,你为什么会有这些情绪呢?
Well, why are you having those feelings?
这些情绪的根源是什么?
What is the cause of those feelings?
你的身体有什么感觉?
What does your body feel like?
而练习就是去觉察:我正在感受这种情绪。
And the the practice of going, I'm feeling this.
我之所以有这种感觉,是因为由此产生了一种想要行动的倾向。
I'm feeling this because I'm feeling, as a result of that, an inclination to do.
然后我会想,但这是个好主意吗?
And then go, but is that a good idea?
你知道吗?这真的是我想做的吗?
You know, is that what I wanna do?
我从未发过脾气后还觉得:我真高兴我那样做了。
Like, I've never lost my temper and then afterwards been like, I'm so glad I did that.
你知道吗?
You know?
我总是会后悔。
I'm I always regret it.
总是如此。
Always.
对吧?
Right?
我从未因为沮丧而强迫孩子做某事,然后事后还觉得:没错。
I've never forced my kids to do something out of frustration and then been like, yeah.
那确实是正确的决定。
That was definitely the right call.
你知道吗,事后我会想,我们其实有比我以为的多得多的时间。
You know, afterwards, I'm like, we had so much more time than I was under the impression we did.
你明白我的意思吗?
You know what I mean?
比如,我们为了出门大吵一架,结果到了地方,却还得在车里等五分钟才进去,你知道的,诸如此类。
It's like like we get in this big fight to leave the house, and then we get there, and then we're, like, waiting in the car five minutes to go in, you know, or whatever.
对吧?
Right?
比如你担心赶不上航班,结果你赶上了,或者没赶上。
Like or you're so stressed about missing the flight, then you you get there or you don't get there.
但无论哪种情况,都不是生死攸关的大事。
And it neither one of those things is, a matter of life and death.
对吧?
Right?
所以对我来说,将斯多葛主义视为理解情绪、处理情绪,然后不被情绪所奴役的实践,正是我感到困扰的斯多葛主义实践。
So I think for me, seeing stoicism as the practice of understanding the emotion, processing the emotion, and then not being a slave to that emotion is the practice of stoicism ism that I think I struggle with.
但我觉得,当你阅读斯多葛主义者们的私人想法时,会发现他们也在挣扎。
But I think when you read the private thoughts of the stoics, you see that they were also struggling with.
你知道吗?
You know?
人真的很让人烦。
People are frustrating.
事情真的很烦人。
Things are annoying.
你知道吗?
You know?
事情总会出岔子。
Things go sideways.
但你如何应对这些,这才是关键。
But then how you deal with that, that's what that's what matters.
这就是你所能掌控的。
And that's the control you have.
没错。
Yeah.
这确实是一种修炼,对吧?
And it is a practice, isn't it?
因为我们都会对事情感到沮丧。
Because we all get frustrated with things.
我经常对很多事情感到沮丧。
I get frustrated with so many things.
没错。
Yeah.
因为你标准很高。
Because you have high standards.
你有期望。
You have expectations.
嗯。
Mhmm.
希望事情以某种方式发生,认为它们必须如此,这正是我们所面临诸多紧张和问题的根源。
Wanting things to be a certain way, needing them to be a certain way, that's like the root of so much of the tension and problems that we we have.
我问自己的问题是:为什么?
And the question I ask is why?
为什么我需要它们以某种方式发生?
Why do I need them to be a certain way?
嗯。
Yeah.
你不需要。
You don't.
你会想:我必须让一切按特定方式运行,否则我就无法做我该做的事。
You go, I need everything to be a certain way or I won't be able to do what I do.
然后你会想,等等,我怎么这么脆弱,连调整都做不到?
And then you're like, wait, how fragile am I that I can't I can't adjust?
我无法适应吗?
I can't adapt?
你懂我的意思吗?
You know what I mean?
因为你可以想要、请求,或者认为你理应拥有它。
Like, you it's because you can want it or request it or you think you should have it.
这正是让你陷入困境的原因。
That's what sets you up.
但爱比克泰德说的是,别希望事情非得是某种样子。
But Epictetus' thing is he says, like, don't want things to be a certain way.
要希望事情就是它本来的样子。
Want them to be the way that they are.
这才是通往平静的道路。
That is the path to peace.
我觉得这就像,嘿。
And I think that it's like, hey.
比如,如果我早上醒来,心想:今天天气必须得是某种样子,那我大概率不会开心。
Like, if I wake up and I go, I need the weather to be a certain way today, well, then there's a pretty big chance that I'm not gonna be happy.
我跟我的朋友聊了聊。
I was talking to my friend.
他叫沙卡·斯马蒂。
His name is Shaka Smarty.
他是马凯特大学的男篮主教练。
He's the head basketball coach at Marquette.
他曾经在德克萨斯州生活。
He he lived in Texas.
他曾是德克萨斯大学的主教练,后来搬到了更冷的马凯特大学。
He was the head coach at Texas, and he he moved to Marquette where it's colder.
于是我问他:气候转变的感觉怎么样?
And I said, what's what's the weather shift like?
我说了类似这样的话:你知道吗,你更喜欢热天还是冷天?
I said something like, you know, are you are you more of a hot weather guy or a cold weather guy?
你知道吗?
You know?
他回答说:我是个根据天气穿衣的人。
And he goes, I'm a dress for the weather guy.
我当时就想:这简直就是斯多葛主义啊——根据天气穿衣。
And I was like, that is stoicism right there, dressed for the weather.
你知道吗?
You know?
比如,不管天气怎样,我都无所谓。
Like, I don't care what it is.
我挺好的。
I'm good.
不管怎样我都挺好的。
I'm good either way.
是的。
Yeah.
我会搞定的。
I'll figure it out.
我非常喜欢这一点。
I love that.
我内心的矛盾是,斯多葛派一定理解了细节和小事的重要性。
And the conflict I have is the stoics must have understood the importance of detail and small things.
当然。
Sure.
是的。
So Yes.
你知道,这就是原因。
You know, that's why.
是的。
Yeah.
但与此同时,他们也明白,这很容易让你失去对细节的执着。
But at the same time, they also understand how that can quite easily rob you of that obsession to detail.
嗯。
Yeah.
或者,例行公事很重要。
Or, like, routine is important.
对吧?
Right?
这是我喜欢做事的顺序。
This is the order I like to do things.
这是我状态最好的时候。
This is when I'm at my best.
但如果这种例行公事几乎变成了一种宗教,嗯。
But what if that routine becomes almost a religion Mhmm.
那就几乎成了一种脆弱性。
Which becomes almost a kind of fragility.
你知道的。
You know?
嗯。
Mhmm.
这就是问题所在。
That's the problem.
该死。
Shit.
操。
Fuck.
我该怎么办?
What am I gonna do?
我需要我的那双特别的袜子,你知道的,或者别的什么。
I need I need my special socks, you know, or whatever.
我不能,不行。
I can't no.
我需要提前十分钟,而你却说,好吧。
I need ten minutes before and you're like, okay.
你知道的,你这里不是在拆解一颗核弹。
You know, you're not diffusing a nuclear bomb here.
你会没事的。
Like, you're gonna be fine.
两件事可以同时为真。
Two things can be true at the same time.
嗯。
Yeah.
这样更好。
It's better.
嗯,斯多葛学派说,有一种东西叫‘偏好的无动于衷’。
Well, the stoics say there's there's such a thing as preferred indifference.
那是什么?
What is it?
基本上,斯多葛学派认为,如果事情在你的掌控之中,那就很好。
Basically, the Stoics were like, if it's in your control, great.
如果事情不在你的掌控之中,就不值得去想。
If it's not in your control, it's not worth thinking about.
但他们说,仍然有些东西拥有比没有更好。
But they said there's still some things that's better to have than not have.
对吧?
Right?
嗯,没错。
Like Mhmm.
比如,富有比贫穷更好。
Like, it's better to be rich than poor.
天气好总比天气不好要好。
It's better for it to be, you know, nice weather, not nice weather.
对吧?
Right?
所以核心理念是,无论怎样你都会没事。
And so the idea is you're gonna be fine regardless.
对吧?
Right?
所以如果你愿意,你可以说:我很好。
So if you're gonna you can go, I am good.
我就像个适应天气的人。
I'm a dress for the weather guy.
我能在任何情况下都茁壮成长。
I can thrive in any and all situations.
对吧?
Right?
这是必须成立的第一点。
That's the first thing that has to be true.
然后第二点是,即使成立,如果你问我想要什么,以下是如果在我掌控之内的条件或情境,那就是我会选择的。
And then the second thing is to be true, which can be true is, but if you ask me what I want, here are this here's the circumstances or situation that if it's in my power, that's what I'm gonna choose.
我不需要它。
I don't need it.
我能在任何情况下都表现得很好。
I can do great in any and all situations.
但如果你问我,我是希望这里冷一点还是暖一点?
But if you ask me, do I want it to be cold in here or warm in here?
我会告诉你我喜欢的温度。
I'm gonna tell you the temperature that I like.
因为我知道,如果太热了,我会开始感到闷热,然后分心。
Because I know that if it gets too hot, then I start to feel warm, and then I get distracted.
你知道,你可以知道什么是有益的,但并不一定需要它。
You know, like, you can you can know what's nice to have but not need it.
在你读过的所有斯多葛哲学和智慧中,临终时最不后悔的是什么。
Of all the of all the things that, you know, you've read about in stoic philosophy and wisdom, fewer lying on your deathbed.
嗯。
Uh-huh.
展开剩余字幕(还有 31 条)
你面对的是全世界的观众。
And you had the entirety of the world as the audience.
哦。
Oh.
你可以只说一句话,一句你相信最能帮助这个观众群体、最能减轻他们痛苦的话,让你以瑞安·霍利迪从斯多葛哲学与智慧中汲取的最后遗言告终。
And you could just say one thing that you believed would be of most benefit to that audience, to relieve them of their suffering the most, to, you know, to leave them with one last statement from Ryan Holiday drawn from his readings of stoic wisdom and philosophy.
你会给出怎样的洞见?
What might be the insight?
最后一条斯多葛每日箴言。
The last daily stoic.
我会说什么呢?
What would I say?
在最后一口气之前。
Short of last breath.
我们知道马可·奥勒留的临终之言,他在《沉思录》中的最后一句话是:嘿,伙计,这出戏结束了。
We know Marcus Aurelius' sort of last words, his last words in Meditations are about, Hey man, this is the play.
它只有三幕。
It only got three acts.
帷幕即将落下。
The curtain's coming down.
你做得好吗?
Did you do a good job?
他开始像这样自言自语。
He starts talking to himself like that.
这相当美丽。
It's pretty beautiful.
而在现实生活中,当他可能正因瘟疫而死去时,朋友们围在他身边哭泣,他却说:‘你们哭什么?’
And then in real life, as he's probably dying of the plague, his friends are all around him and they're weeping and crying and he goes What what are you crying about?
别为我难过。
Like, don't think about me.
他该想的是你。
He's gonna think about your you.
想想你的生活。
Think about your life.
去尝试一下,你知道的,用你所剩的时间做你能做的事。
Go try to, you know, do what you can with the time that you have left.
也许我会说类似这样的话。
And maybe I'd say something like that.
嘿。
Like, hey.
人去世后唯一的好处,就是他们死后仍能以某种方式继续活着。
The whole the one the one benefit of people dying is the one way that they can go on living after they die.
他们去世后还能让我们变得更好、帮助我们的一个方式,就是提醒我们他们已不在了——这一点将来对你也是如此。
One way they can improve us and help us after they're gone is the reminder of the fact that they're not here, which will be true for you at some point.
而这就是我们失去所爱之人时,他们能为我们带来的一种意义。
And that's one of the things that the loss of people that we love can do for us.
这就像在说:嘿,我们谁都没有永恒。
It's like, hey, none of us get forever.
这首歌终有结束的时候。
The song ends at some point.
那么,你如何利用了你拥有的这段时间呢?
And so what did you what did you do with the time that you've got?
你拥有明天而我没有,这份礼物你不应视作理所当然。
And the fact that you get tomorrow and I don't is a gift that you should not take for granted.
你刚才听到的是之前一集中最常被重播的片段。
What you just listened to was a most replayed moment from a previous episode.
如果你想收听完整那一集,我在下方提供了链接。
If you want to listen to that full episode, I've linked it down below.
请查看描述。
Check the description.
谢谢。
Thank you.
关于 Bayt 播客
Bayt 提供中文+原文双语音频和字幕,帮助你打破语言障碍,轻松听懂全球优质播客。