本集简介
双语字幕
仅展示文本字幕,不包含中文音频;想边听边看,请使用 Bayt 播客 App。
很多人都在寻找通过副业获得被动收入。
A lot of people are looking for passive income from side hustles.
是啊。
Yeah.
这就像是财务上的奥赛康,而且比以往任何时候都更容易获得。
It's the financial Ozempic, and it's more accessible than ever.
比如,我谈到的90%的想法都可以用500美元或更少的资金启动,而且白天有足够的时间在晚上和周末做这些。
Like, 90% of the ideas I talk about can be launched with $500 or less, and there's enough time in the day to do these on the nights and weekends.
所以在我面前的这三个手提箱里,装着三笔不同金额的钱。
So in these three suitcases in front me, I have three different amounts of money.
在这次对话中,我会随机给你一个盒子。
And during this conversation, I'm gonna punch you a box at random.
你的任务是告诉我你会用那笔钱创办什么样的企业。
And your job is to tell me what kind of business you would start with that amount of money.
听起来不错。
Sounds good.
我们开始吧。
Let's do this.
被誉为副业之王的克里斯·克纳已创办80多家企业,在此过程中赚取了数百万美元。
Known as the king of side hustles, Chris Kerner has launched over 80 businesses, earning millions in the process.
现在,这位连续创业者将教我们如何培养商业思维
And now, the serial entrepreneur is going to teach us how to adopt a business mindset
并用少量资金启动简单、被忽视但利润丰厚的项目。
And launch simple, overlooked, but profitable ventures with little money.
许多人在财务上挣扎,他们将副业视为解决之道。
Many of us struggle financially, and they see a side hustle as a solution to that.
比如我,在贫穷中长大,是创业让我掌控了自己的人生并实现理想。
Like for me, growing up kind of poor, business allowed me to take hold of my life and make it what I wanted it to be.
这一切始于我九岁时想要一辆红色双人自行车。
And it started when I was nine years old and wanting a red twin bicycle.
我的朋友们都有自行车,邻居们也有自行车,但我的父母没钱给我买。
My friends had a bicycle, my neighbors had a bicycle, and my parents didn't have money for it.
但我住在高尔夫球场对面,这些高尔夫球经常会飞进我的院子里。
But I lived across street from a golf course, and these golf balls would fly in my yard.
我会穿过街道去邻居家的院子,在沟渠里挖掘,找出所有这些高尔夫球,然后开始售卖它们。
And I would go to my neighbor's yard to go across the street, dig through the ditches, I'd pull out all these golf balls, and I started selling them.
那是我的第一笔生意。
That was my first business.
这件事教会我商业是可接近的,我们都有想法,但通常我们不会付诸行动。
That taught me that business is approachable, and we all have ideas, but we usually don't do anything about it.
为什么?
Why?
我认为首要原因是害怕别人的看法。
I think number one, they're afraid of what people think.
其次是缺乏工具,或者没有将工具与想法联系起来。
Number two is they don't have the tools, or they're not connecting the tools with the ideas.
如果能克服这些,世界就是我们的舞台了。
If we can get over those, the world is our oyster at that point.
我有一千美元。
I got a thousand dollars.
你会从什么副业开始?
What side hustle do you start?
我首先想到的是目前我最喜欢的商业点子。
The first thing that comes to mind is my favorite business idea of all right now.
这是个零员工企业。
This is a zero employee business.
利润非常高,那就是
It's highly profitable, and that would be
那么对你来说,热爱这件事对取得成功有多重要?
So how important is it for you to love the thing, to be success about it?
别管激情。
Ignore passion.
先追逐利润,等你有能力了再去追求激情。
Follow the profit until you can afford to follow your passion.
他们需要商业伙伴吗?
Do they need a business partner?
不需要。
No.
如果你
If you
看看有联合创始人的公司创业失败率的数据,这比单人创始的公司要高得多。
look at the stats on business failure rates with companies that have cofounders, it's significantly higher than companies that have solo founders.
那么如何验证一个商业想法呢?
And how does someone validate a business idea?
如果让我选一个工具,那就是每天四分之一人类都在使用的那个。
If I had to pick one tool, it's one that one in four humans use every day.
这就是你所需的一切。
That's everything you need right there.
只需给我三十秒的时间。
Just give me thirty seconds of your time.
我有两件事想说。
Two things I wanted to say.
第一件事是衷心感谢你们每周都收听我们的节目。
The first thing is a huge thank you for listening and tuning into the show week after week.
这对我们所有人来说意义重大,这真的是我们从未有过、也想象不到能实现的梦想。
It means the world to all of us and this really is a dream that we absolutely never had and couldn't have imagined getting to this place.
但其次,这是一个我们感觉才刚刚开始的梦想。
But secondly, it's a dream where we feel like we're only just getting started.
如果你喜欢我们的节目,请加入24%定期收听本播客的听众行列,在这个应用上关注我们。
And if you enjoy what we do here, please join the 24% of people that listen to this podcast regularly and follow us on this app.
我要向你许下一个承诺。
Here's a promise I'm gonna make to you.
我将竭尽全力让这个节目现在和未来都做到最好。
I'm gonna do everything in my power to make this show as good as I can now and into the future.
我们会邀请你想让我对话的嘉宾,并继续坚持做所有你喜爱这个节目的内容。
We're gonna deliver the guests that you want me to speak to and we're gonna continue to keep doing all of the things you love about this show.
谢谢。
Thank you.
克里斯,
Chris,
你是谁?你正在追求什么使命?
who are you and what is the mission that you're on?
我是一位父亲。
I am a father.
我是丈夫,也是一名连续创业者。
I am a husband, and I'm a serial entrepreneur.
我喜欢谈论商业、创办企业,并激励他人做同样的事。
And I love talking about business and starting businesses and inspiring other people to do the same.
为什么?
Why?
商业给予了我一切。
Business has given me everything.
在贫困中长大时,它曾是我的出路。
Growing up kinda poor, it was my outlet.
这是我掌控生活、将其塑造成理想模样的方式。
It was my way of just kind of taking hold of my life and making it what I wanted it to be.
对此我怀有无比感激之情。
And I have immense gratitude for that.
我就是热爱谈论这个话题。
And I love I just love talking about it.
这是我唯一精通的事。
I it's the only thing I know.
我没法和你聊历史或营养学这些话题,但说到商业我就充满热情。
You I can't talk to you about history or nutrition or anything, but when it comes to business, I just love it.
我希望其他人也能爱上商业。
And I want other people to love it as well.
你是如何在商界闯出名号的?
How have you made your name in the world of business?
因为我最近经常听到你的名字。
Because I've heard your name a lot recently.
人们称你为副业之王。
People call you the king of side hustles.
这个称号是怎么来的?
Where has this come from?
我想我只是把自己的生活发布在了互联网上。
I think I just published my life on the Internet now.
我一直在测试、推出和创办各种业务,但直到最近几年才开始公开这些经历。
I I'm always testing and launching and starting businesses, but only over the last couple years have I started publishing that.
我并没有刻意想成为副业之王。
And I didn't try to be like the king of side hustles.
这不是我有意为之的个人品牌定位。
That's not something that I've ever, like, intentionally tried to brand myself as.
但我觉得人们把我的事业看作副业,就这么称呼了。
But I think people see what I do as a side hustle, and they call it that.
但我认为任何事物都具有可扩展性,任何副业都有可能发展成为价值数百万美元的业务。
But I think that anything is scalable, any side hustle could could be a multimillion dollar business.
我的意思是,我们生活在一个拥有80亿人口的星球上,而且彼此相连,任何事物都可以被规模化。
I mean, we we live on a planet with 8,000,000,000 people, and we're all connected, anything can be scaled.
你现在创作了大量内容,所以你可能已经形成了一个反馈循环,能理解你所说、所做和所创造的内容中哪些能引起人们共鸣。
And you make a lot of content now, so you've probably had a bit of a feedback loop in terms of understanding what it is that you say and do and create that's resonant with people.
以及为什么能引起共鸣?
And also why it's resonant?
比如,什么是
Like, what is
我的受众群体真正寻求的核心是什么?
the crux of what people like my audiences are are looking for?
作为人类,我们都想要一个万能解决方案。
As humans, we all want a silver bullet.
我们都希望找到问题的解决之道。
We want a solution to our problems.
我们许多人在财务上挣扎,他们把副业视为一种出路或解决方案。
And many of us struggle financially, and they see a side hustle as as an outlet to that or as a solution to that.
我认为每个人都有想法。
I think everyone has ideas.
大多数人对执行这些想法非常犹豫。
Most people are very hesitant to execute on those ideas.
所以当他们看到像我这样自由执行所有想法的人时,希望能打开他们的思维,帮助他们以不同或更易接受的方式看待自己的想法,也许能给他们信心去做同样的事。
And so when they see someone like me freely executing on all the ideas, it hopefully, it opens their mind and helps them look at their ideas in a different way or a more approachable way and maybe gives them confidence to do the same.
在我面前的盒子里,我有三笔不同金额的钱。
In the boxes in front of me here, I have three different amounts of money.
500美元,我想我有一千美元,还有5000美元。
$500, I think I have a thousand dollars, and $5,000.
在这次谈话中,我会随机给你一个盒子。
And during this conversation, I'm gonna punch you a box at random.
你的任务是告诉我你会用那笔钱创办什么样的生意,因为我知道我的观众中有很多人对将来创业感兴趣。
And your job is to tell me what kind of business you would start with that amount of money because I know my audience, you know, there many of them are interested in starting their own business one day.
我特意选择较低金额,就是为了尽可能让他们觉得容易实现。
And I use specifically sort of low amounts of money just to make it as accessible to them as possible.
所以我们稍后会进行这个环节。
So we will do that at some point.
把盒子递给你。
Pass you the boxes.
你给我三个创业点子。
You give me three business ideas.
分别用500美元、1000美元和5000美元启动。
You'd start with $500, $1,000, and $5,000.
但我更想了解你的经历,包括你创立的公司和取得的各种成功。
But I wanna get a view on on you and the businesses that you've started and the sort of the variety of success you've had.
能给我做个概述吗?
So can you give me an overview?
好的。
Yeah.
那时我九岁,住在犹他州,家对面就是个高尔夫球场。
So I was nine years old living in Utah, and I lived across the street from a golf course.
经常有高尔夫球飞进我家院子里。
And these golf balls would fly in my yard.
不知怎么的,我突然想到可以卖掉这些球。
And I don't know what gave me the idea, but I started selling them.
我就是想攒钱买辆自行车。
I just wanted money for a bike.
我想要那辆施文牌自行车。
I wanted the Schwinn bicycle.
它是红色的,我的朋友们都有自行车,邻居们也有,但我父母没钱给我买。
It was red, and my friends had a bicycle, my neighbors had a bicycle, and my parents didn't have money for it.
不知为何,我就把草地上那些白色高尔夫球和钱联系在了一起。
So for whatever reason, I connected that white golf ball in my grass with money.
我会跑到邻居家院子里,穿过马路,在沟渠里翻找,把所有高尔夫球都捡回来洗干净。
And I would go to my neighbor's yards, I'd go across the street, I'd dig through the ditches, I'd pull out all these golf balls, I'd wash them.
然后我在家门前立了块大木板,上面写着:高尔夫球,三个一美元。
And then I put up this huge piece of plywood in front of my house that said golf balls three for a dollar.
那就是我的第一笔生意。
And that was my first business.
当时觉得这再正常不过了。
And at the time, it was just normal.
感觉非常自然。
It was natural.
我并不知道其他方式。
I didn't know any different.
现在我有个九岁的孩子,而我当时做这事时也是九岁。
And now I have a nine year old, and I was nine when I did that.
如今我们住在一条繁忙的马路边。
And we live on a busy road today.
那时我也住在一条繁忙的马路边。
I lived on a busy road then.
想到他要和那些穿着Polo衫的大人在我们家门口讨价还价,简直不可思议。
And the thought of him, like, negotiating, haggling with grown ups wearing polo shirts on our doorstep is unfathomable.
但那正是我当年在做的事,这在我心里埋下了种子。
But that's what I was doing, and that planted the seed.
这件事教会了我商业并非遥不可及。
That kind of taught me that business is approachable.
应该说,商业本就应该平易近人。
Preferably, it's approachable.
平易近人与可扩展性可以并存。
Approachable and scalable can be the same thing.
它们不必相互对立。
They don't have to be at odds with one another.
那么,从那时起你创办了多少家企业?
So And how many businesses have you started since then?
我都数不清了。
I lose count.
我有
I have
虽然有个电子表格记录,但至少有80家。
a spreadsheet, but it's at least 80.
那么结果如何呢?
And what's the what what are the outcomes been?
你赚了多少钱?
How much money have you made?
这对你的生活产生了怎样的改变?
What kind of how has that changed your life?
它给你带来了哪些自由?
What freedom has that given you?
是的。
Yeah.
所有企业累计创造了数亿的营收,利润达到数千万级别。
So cumulatively, all of the businesses have generated low hundreds of millions of revenue, low tens of millions of profit.
但从实际数字来看,大部分项目都被放弃了、无疾而终或者失败了,要么就是机会成本太高,所以我转向了其他方向。
But on a real number basis, the majority of them have been abandoned or fizzled out or failed or there was too much opportunity cost, so I pivoted to something else.
这不过是个数字游戏。
It's just a numbers game.
这如何改变了你的生活?
And how has that changed your life?
你的生活方式是怎样的?
What does your lifestyle look like?
我的生活棒极了。
My life is awesome.
我们在二十多岁时就建成了梦想中的房子。
We built our dream house in our 20s.
我们在二十多岁时就有了全部四个孩子。
We had all four of our kids in our 20s.
我们经常旅行。
We travel a lot.
我们已经结婚十七年了,我们是一个非常亲密的家庭。
We're I've been married for seventeen years, and we're a very close family.
我们经常去旅行。
We take a lot of trips.
我们住在一个好学区,但我的孩子们上的是公立学校。
We live in a good school district, but my kids go to public school.
我们拥有所需的一切甚至更多,对此我们非常感恩。
And we have everything we need and more, and we're very grateful for that.
对于那些像你这样成功创业、批量开展副业并取得成功的人来说,需要什么样的核心心态作为基础?
What is the over sort of underpinning mentality that's required for someone to be successful at starting businesses in the way that you started them, starting these side hustles at volume and seeing success?
在我们讨论具体策略之前,是否存在某种基础心态、个性或性格特征是必需的?
Is there, like, a foundational mentality or personality or character trait required before we get into the tactics?
是的。
Yeah.
我认为,你需要感受到问题的痛苦程度超过你在乎别人怎么看你。
The I should say that the the pain of your problem needs to be greater than how much you care about what people think about you.
必须达到那个临界点。
It needs to get to that point.
因为迄今为止,成功路上最大的障碍就是人们太在意别人对自己的看法。
Because by far, that is the biggest roadblock to success is people caring too much about what people think about them.
所以他们不想去做那件事,或者不想谈论做那件事,就因为某个高中同学在Facebook上关注了他们可能会发表评论。
And so they don't want to do the thing, or they don't want to talk about doing the thing because some random person from high school follows them on Facebook and might comment something.
对吧?
Right?
这真的很蠢,但我曾经也这样过。
Which is really silly, but I I've been there.
我完全理解。
I get it.
对吧?
Right?
如果我们能克服这点,如果我们能在大脑中切换那个'别人在关注我'的开关,把它彻底关闭,我们就能成功。
If we can get over that, if we can just flip the switch in our brain that says people are thinking about me, people are caring about me, and just switch that to off, We'll win.
对吧?
Right?
因为到那时,世界就是我们的舞台了。
Because the world is our oyster at that point.
就我们目前所处的时代而言,拥有科技、人工智能、高速互联网和智能手机,你认为现在是人们开始尝试、开展副业的最佳时机吗?
And in terms of where we sit at this moment of time with technology, with AI, with in fast Internet, with mobile phones, do you think this is the best time for people to start something, to to start a side hustle or to try?
随着时间推移,对人们来说时机只会越来越好。
Every day that goes by, the timing gets better for people.
对吧?
Right?
竞争确实变得更激烈,但工具也比以往任何时候都多。
Things are getting more competitive, but there are more tools than ever.
十年前,如果我想创业——那时互联网和社交媒体已经如火如荼。
Ten years ago, if I wanted to start a business and and this is what the Internet's in full swing, social media's in full swing.
我可能得花大笔钱、搬到旧金山或者筹集风险投资。
I probably had to spend a lot of money or move to San Francisco or raise venture capital.
这就像,我很想看看你怎么说服我。
That's like, I would love for you to try to convince me.
试着给我举个例子,说明什么情况下你必须融资、必须全力以赴或者必须辞职。
Try to give me an idea where you have to raise money or where you have to go all in or where you you have to quit your job.
这种情况根本不存在。
It doesn't exist.
有了这些AI工具和软件工具,你只需一个指令就能建好网站。
With all these AI tools, software tools, you can make a website with one prompt.
你只需一个指令就能开发应用。
You can make an app with one prompt.
你可以在Facebook Marketplace上发布商品,一小时内收到上百条咨询。
You could post a Facebook Marketplace and have hundreds of inquiries within an hour.
你可以投放Facebook广告。
You could post Facebook ads.
你还可以去Craigslist发布信息。
You could go to Craigslist.
比如,你可以在家门口立个招牌。
Like, you could put a sign up in front of your house.
你可以去发起一项人群调查。
You could go launch a survey to people.
现在有太多工具可以用来测试、验证和试验这些概念,比以往任何时候都更容易实现。
Like, there are so many tools for testing and validating and experimenting with these concepts that it is more accessible than ever.
为什么人们不这么做呢?
Why don't people?
我认为首要原因是他们害怕别人的看法。
I think number one is they're afraid of what people think.
其次是他们没有工具,或者至少没有将工具与想法联系起来。
Number two is they don't have the tools, or at least they're not connecting the tools with the ideas.
对吧?
Right?
他们会用Facebook Marketplace卖沙发,却想不到用它来验证木工创意。
They'll use Facebook Marketplace to sell a sectional, but then they won't think to use it when validating their woodworking idea.
对吧?
Right?
他们就是没把点连成线。
They're just not connecting the dots.
从某种意义上说,工具太多了,我们不知道如何将它们全部整合起来。
There's too many tools in a sense, so we don't know how to tie them all together.
他们可能也不知道丰盛法则有多真实。
They also probably don't know, like, how much the law of abundance is a real thing.
对吧?
Right?
人们认为商业是零和游戏。
People think business is a zero sum game.
这是什么意思?
What does that mean?
嗯,他们认为市场已经过度饱和了。
Well, they think that things are oversaturated.
他们会对某个产品或服务产生想法,然后非常兴奋地去谷歌搜索,接着看到它真实存在后,就会转向下一个目标。
They'll have an idea for a product or a service, then they'll get really excited, and then they'll go Google it, and then we'll see it exist, and they'll move on.
当我这样做并看到它真实存在时,我会想,没错。
And when I do that and I see it exist, I'm like, yes.
就是这样。
This is it.
有人已经冲在战场前线,为我验证了这一点。
Someone someone went to the front lines of the battlefield and validated this for me.
然后我会去网页存档。
And then I'll go to the web archive.
我会查询Whois,查看他们的网站在过去十年的发展历程,看看他们最初的样子。
I'll go to Who is, and I'll go look at what their website has looked like over the last decade, see where they started.
也许他们的产品最初定价99美元。
Maybe their product was $99.
现在变成每两个月49美元了。
Now it's, like, 49 every two months.
有意思。
Interesting.
好的。
Okay.
我会研究他们标题的文案。
I'll look at the the copy of their headline.
我会查看他们网站上有多少个标签页。
I'll look at, like, how many tabs they have on their website.
他们会把Instagram动态放在网站上吗?我会观察所有这些细节,看看它们是如何随时间演变的,然后觉得太棒了。
Do they post their Instagram feed on I'll look at all these things and see how it's evolved over time and think, awesome.
我要从他现在的起点开始。
I'm gonna start where he's at today.
这家伙已经替我验证过了。
Like, this guy already proved it out for me.
他承担了所有风险。
He took all the risk.
这太棒了。
This is amazing.
这是真实存在的。
This exists.
我不需要做得更好。
I don't need to, like, do it better.
我不需要另辟蹊径。
I don't need to do it differently.
我只需要做同样的事情。
I just need to do the same thing.
而且市场足够大。
And the market is big enough.
世界广阔到足以让我也能成功。
The world is big enough to where I can win as well.
你刚才提到了网页时光机。
You said Web Archive.
Web Archive扮演什么角色?
What role does Web Archive play?
对于不熟悉的人来说,它是什么?又该如何使用?
What is that for anyone that isn't familiar, and how do you use that?
对。
Yeah.
它只是一个工具,能展示网站随时间变化的快照。
It's just a tool that shows snapshots over time of what a website looks like.
对吧?
Right?
所以这是逆向分析企业成功之道的好方法。
So it's a great way of kind of reverse engineering what businesses have done to be successful.
还有另一个叫SimilarWeb的工具,可以查看他们的历史流量数据,两者可以叠加分析。
And then there's another tool called SimilarWeb where you can see what their traffic has been over time, and you can kind of overlay the two.
然后你就能发现:哦,真有意思。
And you can say, oh, interesting.
当他们重新设计网站使其更适配移动端后,月访问量从3000增长到了4500。
When they when they redesigned their website to be more mobile friendly, their traffic went from 3,000 a month to 4,500 a month.
有意思。
Interesting.
我打算从一开始就做好移动端适配。
I'm just gonna make it mobile friendly from day one.
对吧?
Right?
所以我们起步时就占据了巨大优势——直接站在了竞争对手或潜在竞争对手的位置上,而非从我们认为需要的位置开始。
So we are at a great advantage when we start where our competitors or our future competitors already are instead of starting where we think we need to be.
比如试图尝试与众不同或创新独特。
Starting, like, trying to be different or innovative or unique.
根据我的经验,这更像是我们骄傲或自负的表现。
In my experience, that's more of, like, a signal of our pride or our ego.
如果我们只是照搬照抄某个业务,我们会感到有点奇怪、不舒服甚至觉得不道德。
We feel kinda, like, weird or odd or even dirty or unethical if we're just, like, copying and pasting a business.
即便这个创意最初是我们自己想出来的,也没什么好羞愧的。
Even if we had the original idea ourselves, when really there's nothing to be ashamed of.
我们不想窃取他们的知识产权或商标之类的东西,但要复制那些已经被验证有效的做法。
Like, we don't want to steal their intellectual property or their logo or anything, but copy what's already working.
人们总认为,如果我去复制一个已经成功的生意,就得不到任何客户,因为现有企业已经拥有所有客户资源。
People think you know, people don't think that that's a thing because they think if I copy a business that's already working, then I'm not gonna get any customers because that this existing business has all the customers.
嗯。
Mhmm.
不过这很有趣。
But it's interesting.
我节目里有位嘉宾谈到,世界上一些最伟大的企业家基本上就是复制了95%的商业模式。
I had someone on the show where they talked about how some of the greatest entrepreneurs in the world basically just copy 95% of the blueprint.
我记得说的是沃尔玛。
Think it was Walmart.
应该是在讨论沃尔玛的例子。
Think was talking about Walmart.
但是
But
是的
Yeah.
他们模仿了其他区域性连锁超市的模式
They copied other, like, regional grocery chains.
嗯
Mhmm.
模仿也是一种策略吗?
Copying as a strategy?
没错
Yeah.
你这样做过吗?
Have you done that?
噢,当然
Oh, absolutely.
举个例子给我听听。
Give me an example.
好的。
Okay.
嗯,我在2010年上大学时经营过一家手机维修店。
Well, I I had a phone repair business in when I was in college, 2010.
有一天我接到一个电话,对方说:嘿,克里斯。
And I got a call one day from someone that said, hey, Chris.
我想买你所有坏掉的iPhone屏幕。
I want to buy all of your broken iPhone screens.
你有坏掉的iPhone屏幕吗?
Do you have any broken iPhone screen?
当然有。
Sure.
我们不会扔掉它们,因为觉得对环境不好。
We don't throw them away because we think it's bad for the environment.
我们正好有一盒这样的屏幕。
We just have a box of them.
你愿意出多少钱买?
How much will you pay me?
每个3美元。
$3 apiece.
为什么?
Why?
什么?
What?
你为什么要
Why will you
付我3美元?
pay me $3?
那不过是碎玻璃而已。
It's just broken glass.
他们说,其实有一种方法可以重新加工这些。
And they said, well, there's actually a way of remanufacturing these.
我们可以把它们运到中国去。
We can send them to China.
我们可以移除破碎的玻璃,换上新的玻璃,然后作为翻新产品重新销售。
We can remove the broken glass, put new glass on them, and then we can resell them as a remanufactured unit.
这就像灵光一现。
And that was just like a light bulb.
对吧?
Right?
所以我觉得大多数人这时候会说,好啊,那把这些运到哪里呢?
So most people I think at this point would say, yeah, like, yeah, where do I ship these?
你知道吗?
You know?
但我当时想,哦,我得做这门生意。
But I was like, oh, I need to be in that business.
我想模仿那个给我打电话的人,对吧?
I want to copy that guy who called me, right?
现在我不知道他的网站是什么。
Now I don't know what his website was.
我不知道他的公司叫什么名字。
I don't know I don't know what the name of his business was.
当时没有网页存档可以查。
There was no web archive at the time to look at.
只想复制这种商业模式,因为我觉得这会是个趋势。
I just wanted to copy the business model because I thought this is going to be a thing.
我就在这个行业里。
I'm in the industry.
我了解这个行业。
I know the industry.
我也要这么做。
I'm going to do this as well.
所以我们第一年做了200万,然后是5,接着是9,几年后我们就退出了。
So we did 2,000,000 the first year, then 5, and then 9, and then we exited a few years after that.
这很有趣。
It's interesting.
但是,你知道,
But, you know,
你常常不会想到每个人都在寻找新点子。
you often don't think that everyone's in search of a new idea.
嗯。
Mhmm.
而且很难找到新创意。
And it's tough to find new ideas.
是啊。
Yeah.
就像,我记得是爱因斯坦说过世上没有真正的新创意吗?
Like, I think was it Einstein that said there's no such thing as a new idea?
听起来没错。
Sounds right.
但你有一种倾向,就是只看现有模式并复制它们。
But you have an orientation just to look at existing models and to replicate them.
你会加入自己的特色吗
Do you put a spin on
?
it at all?
随着时间的推移,我会发展出自己的特色。
I'll develop my own spins over time.
对吧?
Right?
因为我们都是环境的产物。
Because we're all a product of our environment.
所以在这个业务案例中,我一开始是完全照搬的。
And so in in the case of this business, I started copying exactly.
对吧?
Right?
我去中国找人。
I went and found people in China.
我直接去了阿里巴巴。
I just went to Alibaba.
我给大量卖iPhone屏幕的人发消息,问他们是否回收。
I messaged a ton of people that sold iPhone screens, I said, do you recycle?
你回收利用吗?
Do you recycle?
你回收利用吗?
Do you recycle?
然后,大概有5%到10%的人回答说是的。
And, like, five or 10% of them said yes.
于是我就给他们寄了样品,之后他们也给我寄回了一些。
So then I shipped them samples, and then they shipped me some back.
随着时间的推移,我开始借鉴之前企业的一些营销原则,比如Facebook广告、电话推销,并开始应用它们,因为我当时不知道那个竞争对手是如何取得成功的。
And and then over time, I started, like, taking some marketing principles principles from previous businesses, like Facebook ads, cold calling, and I started applying them just because I didn't know how this other competitor was finding success.
我知道他在进行电话推销,而且效果不错。
I knew he was cold calling and that was working.
这就是我所知道的全部。
That's all I knew.
记住,我甚至不知道他公司的名字。
Remember, I didn't even know the name of his business.
所以随着时间的推移,你开始运用过去的经验对业务进行微调,使其真正成为你自己的。
And so over time, you start using your previous experiences to apply these tweaks to the business and to make it your own.
但如果你一开始就那样做,比如我接到电话他说‘想买你坏掉的iPhone屏幕吗’,我就会说‘好的’。
But if you do that right at the outset, right, like if I got a call and he said, wanna buy your broken iPhone screen, then I said, okay.
我打算这么做,但我不想只卖iPhone屏幕。
I'm gonna do that, but I don't wanna just sell iPhone screens.
那样太没意思了。
That's lame.
我要做三星手机。
I'm gonna do Samsung.
对吧?
Right?
很有可能那市场根本不存在,或者连方法都没有。
Pretty good chance there's not even a market for that or there's not even a method for that.
而由于我的自尊心、骄傲感,不愿直接复制已经成功的模式,我可能就不会有那个成功的生意在手。
And because of my my ego, my pride, my unwillingness to just copy what's already working, I wouldn't have that successful business in my back pocket.
是不是?
Right?
所以如果你一开始就搞花样,这有点像...我在想一个类比。
So if you do twists in the beginning, it's kind of like your I'm kind of thinking of an analogy.
就像长途旅行时过早绕道,或者飞机刚起飞就偏离航线一点点,最终会离目的地几百英里远。
Like, if you're on a long road trip and you start taking detours early on, or if a flight is on a flight path and he starts, like, getting off track just a little bit at the beginning, he's gonna end off he's gonna end up hundreds of miles away from his destination.
但如果他沿途不断调整,最终会更接近原本该到达的位置。
But if he starts making tweaks along the way, then he'll be much closer to where he would have been anyway.
嗯
Mhmm.
而且通过这些调整,你可能会到达一个更好的目的地。
And you might reach a better destination with some of those tweaks.
因为你正在将它与你的经验、你比被模仿者更了解的东西相融合。
Because you're blending it with your your experience, what you know better than the person that you're copying.
所以一开始完全照搬模式很重要,因为你也会从中学习到现有模式中哪些部分是有效的。
And so it's important to to copy the model exactly at the beginning because you're also going to learn what it is about that existing model that works Yeah.
从而知道哪些可以迭代、改变和扩展。
And therefore, what you can iterate on, change, expand.
如果不这样做,你可能会错过某些东西。
If you if you didn't, then you might miss something.
没错。
Exactly.
因为我经常犯这样的错误:看着别的企业然后说,天啊,他们为什么要那样做?
Because so often I made the mistake of looking in another business and saying, oh, man, why are they doing that?
展开剩余字幕(还有 480 条)
他们为什么这样收费?
Why are they charging like that?
为什么他们要收取这么多不同的费用?
Why like, they're charging all these different things.
这太让人困惑了。
That's so confusing.
我就犯过这个错误。
I made this mistake.
我曾经营一家电商代发货业务,品牌商会把所有产品发给我们。
I had a an ecommerce fulfillment business where brands would send us all their products.
我们有个大仓库,负责把他们的所有商品发出去。
We have this big warehouse, and we would ship all all of their stuff out.
对吧?
Right?
我当时还想:为什么他们要收仓储费?
And I was like, why do they have storage fees?
拣货、包装和运费。
Pick, pack, and ship fees.
他们还要收取追踪产品保质期的费用。
They they charge fees for tracking their expiration dates.
如果一个箱子里有五件商品而不是四件,他们还要额外收费。
They charge extra fees if there's five items in a box versus four.
这里面有太多摩擦点了。
Like, there's so much friction there.
太混乱了。
That's so messy.
我们要把这件事简化。
Like, we're gonna make this simple.
我们只收取统一费用。
We're gonna just one flat fee.
没有仓储费,这就是我们的差异化优势。
No storage fee, and that's gonna be our differentiator.
对吧?
Right?
然后随着时间的推移,经过数月乃至数年,我们才意识到,哦,还有仓储费。
And then over time, over the course of months and years, we learned, oh, storage fees.
因为有时你的客户倒闭了,账单就全落到你头上。
It's because sometimes your customers go out of business and then you're left holding the bill.
比如,你的仓储成本其实非常高,但无处转嫁。
Like, your storage costs are actually very high, but there's nothing to pass on.
哦,还有拣货回仓费,这些都是实践中才学到的。
Oh, pick back and ship fees because you learn all these things.
然后你就会想,好吧。
And you're like, okay.
我可不是那种拿着MBA学位的天才。
I wasn't like this genius that had an MBA.
我只是想用自己的方式处理,因为我觉得自己比那个老板更聪明。
I was just, like, trying to put my own spin on it because I thought I was smarter than that business owner.
结果发现,在这个行业干了十五年的人,头十五天就比我懂得多得多,我最好直接照搬他的定价、照搬他网站的布局、照搬他仓库的规模、照搬他瞄准的细分市场,因为显然这套对他很管用。
Turns out someone that's been doing this for fifteen years, first fifteen days, knows a lot more about the industry than me, and I'm much better off just copying his pricing, copying the layout of his website, copying the size of the warehouse he has, copying the same niche that he's going after because that's clearly working for him.
所以我不再犯这种错误了。
So I don't make that mistake anymore.
我不再假设其他竞争对手是白痴。
I don't I don't assume that other competitors are idiots.
对吧?
Right?
是啊。
Yeah.
我已经被证明太多次是错的了。
I've been proven wrong too many times.
我假设他们那么做是因为吃过苦头才学会的。
I assume that they're doing that because they've learned the hard way.
没错。
Yeah.
如果我模仿他们,就不必再走弯路了。
And if I copy them, then I won't have to learn the hard way.
前几天我邀请了几位高管来家里,我们研究了不同的模式,基本上就是观察那些与我们业务相似且历史悠久的企业。
I had several of our executives over at my house over the last couple of days, and we were looking at different models of so, basically, we're looking at other companies that do similar things to us that have been around for a long time.
后来我突然灵光一现,提出了一个问题:他们为什么要那样做?
And the question I ended up asking at one moment when I was had the exact same epiphany, was like, why do they do it that way?
这样不是很糟糕吗?
Isn't that shitty?
嗯。
Mhmm.
有那么一瞬间,我们差点想要重新发明轮子。
And there was a second where I think we were tempted to try and reinvent the wheel.
但现在有了多年经商智慧后,我会问自己:事情为什么会变成这样?
But the question I ask myself now with the wisdom of, like, many years of business is like, why did it end up that way?
这就是为什么我们那个做了五十年的竞争对手最终会...是的。
Which is why did our competitor who's been doing this for fifty years end up Yeah.
那里?
There?
正如你所说,显然有一系列因素让他们得出结论——无论是规模还是其他因素——让他们认为这是最佳做法。
Because they as you said, there's clearly a set of things that have happened that have made them conclude, whether it's at scale or some other factor that's made them conclude that this is the best way of doing it.
就像你一样,我也曾多次误判,心想'他们就是群白痴'。
And just like you, I've been wrong so many times where I thought, oh, they're just idiots.
所以他们才... 对。
That's why they they they Yeah.
看不到这么明显的事。
Can't see this obvious thing.
但实际上,他们的模式在市场中经受的考验远比我多。
But, actually, their model is stress tested in the market much more than mine is.
所以我或许该放下自尊,至少从他们起步的方式开始——如你所说,这真是重要建议。
So maybe I should I should put my ego aside and at least start how they start, as you said, which I think is really important advice.
对。
Yeah.
嗯,有时候公司会一直沿用某种方法仅仅因为它有效。
Well, there are times when a company just keeps doing something because it works.
是的。
Yeah.
所以他们不会花时间去尝试可能更有效的方法。
And so they don't take the time to test something that works better.
对吧?
Right?
是的。
Yeah.
但几乎不可能猜出那是什么。
But it's almost impossible to guess what that is.
对吧?
Right?
就像,如果一个服装品牌完全通过Facebook广告发展业务,却从未尝试过Google广告,也许Google广告的转化效果能翻倍。
Like, if a if a clothing brand is growing their business entirely through Facebook ads and they've just never tried Google ads, maybe Google ads could convert twice as better twice twice better.
对吧?
Right?
但我不想猜测这个。
But I don't wanna guess that.
我只想从Facebook广告开始,然后我会拿出5%的预算来测试其他方案。
I just wanna start with Facebook ads, and then I'll still take 5% of my budget and start testing other concepts.
但十有八九,我最终还是会回到Facebook广告。
But nine times out of 10, I ended up just coming right back to Facebook ads.
这让我思考在商业中,基本上所有事情——再次强调这是广义的说法——都可以归为两类,要么是老问题,嗯。
It got me thinking about how in business, basically, everything, again, speaking broadly here, can be put into one of two categories, either like old problems Mhmm.
就是已经有成千上万前人遇到过,而解决方案和思维方式依然适用的问题,而另一类是新问题。
Where thousands of people have come before you and the same solutions and same thinking is still relevant, and then new problems.
你知道,像人工智能就带来了一系列新问题,嗯。
You know, things like AI have created a set of new problems Mhmm.
同时也带来了新机遇。
New opportunities as well.
我倾向于发现,商业中大约95%的事情都属于老问题,确实如此。
And what I tend to find is that, like, 95% of the things in business are, like, old problems, like Yeah.
招聘、现金流、财务运作、法律事务,所有这些方面。
Hiring, cash flow, how finance is done, legal, all those kinds of things.
当你处理老问题时,专业知识通常是解决之道,也就是找到懂行的人,无论是雇佣还是寻求指导。
And the and when when you're dealing with a new an old problem, expertise is usually the answer, which is, like, find someone who knows, hire someone or mentor or whatever.
然后就是那些新问题,在我们这个行业里还没有现成的解决方案。
And then you have these new problems where there is no blueprint in our industry.
这是个全新的挑战。
It's it's a new new challenge.
所以实验探索才是答案。
So experimentation is the answer.
这个观点在你看来大体成立吗?
Does that, like, broadly hold in your in your mind?
哦,百分之百同意。
Oh, a 100%.
是的。
Yeah.
我喜欢说‘除了毒品,一切皆可测试’。
I I like to say test everything except drugs.
我们一直在进行测试。
Like, we're always testing.
这是我们所有工作的基础。
It's the basis to everything we do.
但如果是老问题,你们还会测试吗?
But do you test when it's an old problem?
能举个例子吗?
Can you give me an example?
比如现金流管理、雇佣原则(试用期和通知期)、大量法律架构和交易。
So, like, things like cash flow management, hiring principles around, like, probation and notice periods, a lot of legal structuring and deals.
那些已有成熟先例的事情。
Things with, like, a well established president.
那些已有完善先例的情况,就像世界上没有什么根本性的变化会让其失效一样。
Well established presidents where, like, nothing has fundamentally changed in the world that makes that invalid.
是的。
Yeah.
我认为如果是老问题,我会寻找过去十年内有人用有趣方式解决的例子,我更倾向于借鉴那种方法,比如在招聘方面。
I think if it's an old problem, I look to an example of someone within the last decade that solved it in an interesting way, and I'm more likely to copy that, like in hiring.
传统上,公司会花费数小时、数周或数天进行一轮又一轮的招聘面试,见一个又一个候选人。
Traditionally, companies will they'll spend hours and weeks or days hiring going from round to round to round, person, person, person.
如果你看看Y Combinator——可以说是世界上最伟大的初创企业孵化器——他们采用七分钟面试制。
And if you look at Y Combinator, arguably the greatest, you know, startup incubator in the world, they have seven minute interviews.
他们说本来想缩短到五分钟,但觉得那样太不礼貌。
And they said they would make it five minutes, but it just felt rude.
对吧?
Right?
在他们的面试中,其实前三分钟就能判断是否合适。
And in their interviews, they really know in the first three minutes if it's a fit or not.
然后面试就结束了。
And then the interview is done.
他们要么入选,要么淘汰。
Like, they're either in or they're not.
我采用同样的招聘方式。
I approach hiring the same way.
我更倾向于采用大数法则,给五个人三十天的时间来展示他们的技能,而不是花三十天时间全力押注在一个人身上。
I would much rather take a law of large numbers approach to it and give five people thirty days to show what their skills are as opposed to spending thirty days going all in on one person.
因为根据我的经验,我花了三十天考察的那个人,并不比可能同时测试的其他五个人更有可能成功。
Because in my experience, that one person that I spent thirty days on is not any more likely to succeed than those those other five people that I might be testing.
好的。
Okay.
你之前创办的那家仓储公司的例子呢?
And your example of that storage company you started?
嗯。
Mhmm.
听起来你遇到了一个老问题。
It sounds like you hit an old problem.
是的。
Yes.
确实如此。
Very much so.
你尝试过创新和实验,但这始终是个老问题——人类行为法则、企业倒闭规律依然适用。
And you tried to innovate and experiment, but this was an old problem where the laws of human beings and how they behave and businesses going bust was still pertinent.
没错。
Yeah.
在我们两年的实验结束时,我们看起来和其他竞争对手没什么两样。
And at the end of our our two year experiment, like, we looked just like all of our competitors.
对吧?
Right?
所以如果我们当初就从那里开始,本可以节省两年时间。
So if we would have started there, we could have saved two years.
我发现这正是创业者们浪费数年时间试图在旧问题依然顽固存在的地方进行实验。
And this is what I find is founders waste years trying to experiment where old problems are still strong and still hold.
是啊。
Yeah.
这就是我犯的几个错误之一,在我公司里,我本应把所有时间都花在实验解决新问题上。嗯哼。
And this is what I the mistake several of the mistakes I made in my company was that I should have spent all of my time experimenting on the new problems Uh-huh.
而且本应该雇人来告诉我如何应对那些老问题。
And should have hired people to tell me how to navigate the old problems.
没错。
Yeah.
我想让你迅速走红的视频之一是你讲述Buc ee's的故事。
What what was your I think one of the videos that made you go pretty viral was your story of Buc ee's.
嗯。
Mhmm.
我们不知道
We don't know
Buc ee's在全球是什么?
what Buc ee's is around the world.
我认为这是个美国品牌。
I think it's a US brand.
是的。
Yeah.
但这表明,我认为你一直都有一种以略微不同或创新的方式思考的倾向。
But this shows, I think, how you've always had an orientation to think slightly differently or in innovatively.
没错。
Yeah.
Buc ee's发生了什么?
What happened with Buc ee's?
那是在我为其他公司运输产品经营业务的时候。
So this was during the the time when I was running that business shipping products for other companies.
对吧?
Right?
Buc-ee's是一个加油站品牌,只有50家分店。
Buc ee's is a gas station brand, with only 50 locations.
仅凭这50家分店,他们就能创造数十亿美元的收入。
And from those 50 locations, they do billions of dollars, of revenue.
我说是加油站。
I say gas station.
它们的面积在4万到8万平方英尺之间。
They're between 40,000, 80,000 square feet.
哇。
Wow.
规模非常庞大。
They're massive.
他们拥有出色的品牌和标志,赢得了顾客的高度信任。
They have an amazing brand, an amazing logo, and they they just have a lot of trust from their customers.
但这些加油站通常位于前往公路旅行目的地的沿途。
But these gas stations are like, they're on the way out to these road trip destinations.
它们位于荒无人烟的地方。
They're out in the middle of nowhere.
所以如果你住在达拉斯,开车去海滩,往返路上都会在Buc停靠,可能会花上几百美元。
And so if you're if you live in Dallas and you're driving down to the beach, you're gonna stop by Buc on the way there and on the way back, and you're probably gonna spend hundreds of dollars.
对吧?
Right?
你会加满油箱,然后买T恤、零食等各种东西。
You're gonna fill up the tank, then you're gonna buy shirts and snacks and all that stuff.
当时我们经营着这家电商物流公司,我们去了Buc ee's。
So at the time we were running this ecommerce fulfillment business, we went to Buc ee's.
我带着表弟——也是我的商业伙伴——去让他体验一下。
I brought my cousin, my business partner, just to kinda show him the experience.
我们当时正在闲聊。
And we were just having a conversation.
我清楚地记得当时的位置。
I remember exactly where I was.
我当时就在DFW地区的一座巨大立交桥下面。
I was, like, under this underpass, this huge underpass in DFW.
我们开车回家时,我说,老兄,这些家伙在网上肯定赚翻了。
We're driving home, and I said, man, these guys must kill it online.
他们肯定卖了很多东西。
They must sell so much stuff.
为什么?
Why?
因为我知道迪士尼在官网上能卖出价值数十亿美元的T恤。
Because I knew that Disney sells, like, billions of dollars of T shirts on their website.
对吧?
Right?
阅读到的最新数据。
I read a stat recently.
所以我基本上就是拿这个数据点,把它和Buc ee's联系起来,然后说,好吧。
So I kind of just took that data point, connected it to Buc ee's, and said, alright.
Buc-ee's的规模虽不及迪士尼的零头,但品牌忠诚度却不相上下。
Buc ee's is a fraction of the size of Disney, but they have the same amount of brand loyalty.
人们超爱他家的T恤。
People love their shirts.
尽管只在东南部开了50家店,但你会在世界各地看到他们的T恤。
You'll see their shirts all over the world even though they only have 50 locations, like, in the Southeast.
对吧?
Right?
于是我们点进官网,发现根本没有购物按钮。
And so we went to their website, and there was no shop button.
完全找不到购买商品的入口。
There was no place to buy their stuff.
我当时就像——所有灯泡同时亮起来那种顿悟。
And I was just like, like, all the light bulbs were going off at once.
明白吗?
Right?
我当时就想,天啊,好吧。
It was like, oh my gosh, okay.
我们需要联系他们。
We need to reach out to them.
我们需要帮他们上线电商。
Like, we need to bring them online.
我脑子里全是这些想法,而我堂兄比我稳重得多。
I just had all these ideas and my cousin is is much more balanced than I am.
他就像个稳重的运营者,而我就像个多动症疯子。
He's like the the operator and I'm like the ADHD crazy guy.
对吧?
Right?
所以他的角色就是让我冷静下来,他非常擅长这个。
So his role is to like calm me down, and he's very good at that.
但这次我就是冷静不下来。
But I just couldn't be calmed down from this.
我当时就说,不行。
I'm like, no.
不行。
No.
不行。
No.
我们必须采取行动。
We gotta do something here.
我们要把每样东西都买一件。
We're gonna buy one of everything.
我们要雇个摄影师来拍照。
We're gonna hire a photographer to take pictures of it.
我们要开一家自己的Buc ee's网店,并且尝试走红网络。
We're gonna launch our own Buc ee's online store, and we're going to try to go viral.
就是说,不红就完蛋。
Like, it's viral or bust.
对吧?
Right?
如果我们没火起来,那我接下来三年就只能吃这些不健康的零食了。
If we don't go viral, then I'll just be eating these unhealthy snacks for the next three years of my life.
于是我们就这么做了。
And so we did.
我们每样东西都买了一件。
We bought one of everything.
花了几千美元。
Cost thousands of dollars.
我带着四个孩子,我们把东西运回了仓库。
I brought all four of my kids, and, we brought it back to our warehouse.
我们给它们拍了照片。
We took pictures of it.
我们建了个网站,还给我能找到的所有记者发了邮件。
We launched a website, and I emailed all the reporters I could find.
其中一位记者特别喜欢这个创意。
And one of them just loved the idea.
他立刻跟进报道。
He ran with it.
于是他主动联系Buc ee's寻求评论,因为他们从不回复我的陌生邮件。
And so he reached out to Buc ee's for comment because they wouldn't respond to my cold emails.
我本想和他们同步推出这个项目,但我算老几呢?
I wanted to launch this, like, with them in tandem, but who am I?
他们根本不在乎我。
They didn't care about me.
这也不能怪他们。
And I don't blame them.
后来他写了篇关于我的长篇报道。
And so he wrote this big article about me.
数百万人都读到了这篇文章。
Millions of people read it.
所有这些新闻媒体都报道了这件事,我们因此在头三十天就自然获得了数十万美元的收入。
All these other news outlets, wrote about it, and we did hundreds of thousands of of dollars in our first thirty days organically from that.
Buc ee's对此有何反应?
How did Buc ee's feel about that?
他们要求我们对网站做一些关键修改。
They wanted us to make some key changes to the website.
他们基本上希望我们在各处都加上免责声明,表明我们与Buc ee's无关。
They wanted us to, like, basically put disclaimers everywhere that said we are not Buc ee's.
我们并非Buc ee's的关联企业。
We're not affiliated with Buc ee's.
他们要求我们更改名称。
They wanted us to change the name.
原名称里含有'海狸'这个词。
It had the word beaver in the name.
那是他们的吉祥物。
That's their mascot.
他们只是完全不想让这件事产生任何混淆。
They just they didn't want it to be confusing at all.
所以我们做了所有这些修改,然后得到了他们非正式的认可。
So we made all those changes, and then we got, like, the unofficial thumbs up from them.
他们说,我们不会签署任何文件,但你们得到了我们的祝福。
They said, we're not gonna sign anything, but, like, you have our blessing.
玩得开心。
Have fun.
那个网站让你赚了很多钱吗?
And did that website make you a lot of money?
是的。
Yeah.
现在依然在赚钱。
It still is.
已经五年了。
It's been five years.
我们仍然完全拥有它,而且运营得非常顺利。
We still own it, a 100% of it, and it's going great.
它让你赚了几百万吗?
And it's made you millions?
嗯哼。
Uh-huh.
听众们能从这件事中学到什么,如何将这种经验应用到自己的生活中,在世界上发现类似的机会?
What can someone listening take from that in terms of applying that to their own life, finding opportunities like that out in the world?
还是说这只是个一次性机会?
Or is that just a one and done?
是否存在任何一个类似的机会?
Is there any one opportunity like that?
好的。
Okay.
具体来说,我经常被问到这个问题。
So specific, I get asked that question a lot.
别人怎么能用另一个品牌做到同样的事?
How could someone do that with another brand?
我不知道。
I don't know.
如果市面上有类似的品牌,我早就去做了。
If if there was another brand out there like that, I would be doing it.
对吧?
Right?
Trader Joe's有点类似,但他们很喜欢打官司。
Trader Joe's is similar, but they're very litigious.
我觉得那次实验有点像是撞大运,就是为实体业务推出一个线上品牌。
I think that was kind of lightning in a bottle for that particular experiment, as in launching an online brand for an in person business.
懂了吗?
K?
但听到这个大家不要灰心,因为从宏观层面来说,人们应该认真对待自己那些充满好奇心的想法。
But people should not be disheartened hearing that because on a macro level, like, people should take their curious ideas very seriously.
他们需要缩短从产生想法到付诸行动之间的时间。
They need to shorten the amount of time spent between having the idea and doing something about that idea.
为什么?
Why?
因为这会强化他们行动导向的思维习惯。
Because that will strengthen their bias for action muscle.
对吧?
Right?
我们都有各种想法。
We all have ideas.
其中有些很好,有些则很糟糕,这是常态。
Some of them good, some of them bad on a regular basis.
但我们通常不会采取任何行动。
We usually don't do anything about it.
这些想法往往只是转瞬即逝的念头。
It's just a passing thought.
对吧?
Right?
无论是商业点子还是我需要进行的艰难对话,任何想法。
Whether it's a business idea or a hard conversation I need to have with something, any idea.
对吧?
Right?
但我们越是缩短从产生想法到付诸行动之间的时间间隔,我们就越会频繁地这样做,这会形成一个自我强化的雪球效应,不断累积。
But the the the more we shrink the amount of time between doing something about that area and having the idea that idea, the more often we'll do that, and it it becomes a self perpetuating snowball that just compounds.
然后不知不觉中,我们会获得更多想法。
And then before we know it, we'll get more ideas.
我们会对这些想法采取更多行动。
We'll do more about those ideas.
我们会不断测试各种方案。
We'll be testing things.
我们会学习各种工具。
We'll be learning tools.
我们会不断尝试,最终拥有一系列业务。
We'll be experimenting, and we'll have a whole portfolio of businesses.
是否在您的思维方式或视角中,走进Buc ee's时就会思考如何做些改变,而大多数人只是购物后离开?
Is there something in your mentality or perspective there where you walk into a Buc ee's and you even think about how you could do something, whereas most people walk into a Buc and buy their stuff and leave?
比如,您看待世界的方式是否存在某种根本性的不同?
Like, is there something foundational in the way that you're looking at the world?
是的。
Yeah.
但我不认为自己有什么特别。
But I don't think I'm any different.
我认为很多人都有类似的想法。
I think I think a lot of people have ideas like that.
就像走进Buc ee's时发现某些可以改进的地方,人们会有这些一闪而过的念头,但随后就抛诸脑后。
Like, you walk into a Buc ee's and you see something about something that could be improved, and people have these passing thoughts and they move on.
我认为当你对这些想法采取行动时,就会逐渐成为实践这些想法的专家。
I think that you become an expert at doing something about those ideas when you do something about those ideas.
你只是在你所做的事情、你所尝试的领域里变得更好。
You just you get better at at what you do, at what you test.
因为你已经锻炼出某种‘肌肉’,这意味着你似乎不像普通人那样在意失败。
Because you've built up some kind of muscle, which means that you don't really care about, it seems, failure as much as the average person.
嗯哼。
Mhmm.
而且,在那种特定情况下,普通人可能会想,我对那方面毫无经验。
And also, in that particular case, average person might think, well, I've got no experience in doing that.
在真正去做之前,谁对任何事都是没有经验的。
No one has any experience in anything until they do it.
对吧?
Right?
就像每个专家最初都是新手。
Like every expert started out as a beginner.
对吧?
Right?
不过有时候,人们尝试后发现这并不能给他们带来能量。
Sometimes though, people try this and they learn, it doesn't give them energy.
这不适合他们。
It's not for them.
这没关系。
That's okay.
现在当他们有了想法,就能明白:好吧。
Now when they have ideas, they can know, alright.
任务完成。
Box checked.
创业精神对我来说其实意味着需要别人来完成这件事。
It's not really for me that entrepreneurship thinks someone else needs to do that.
很棒。
And great.
很好。
Good.
全力支持他们。
All the power to them.
我只是希望人们能自己回答那个问题。
I just want people to answer that question for themselves.
我讨厌在人们脸上看到悔恨的表情。
I hate seeing regret in people's faces.
比如,我有一些朋友想创业。
Like, I have friends that want to start a business.
他们一直谈论这件事,而且我知道他们会做得很好。
They've always talked about it, and I know they would be good at it.
我也知道这让他们备受煎熬,而且客观来说他们确实有非常非常好的想法。
And I know it just eats them up, and they have really, really good ideas objectively.
我只是不忍心看到他们余生都带着那个疑问。
And I I just hate seeing them have that question for the rest of their lives.
我只想让他们体验一下创业的滋味。
I just want them to to taste entrepreneurship.
但这适合所有人吗?
Is it for everybody, though?
你知道,你可以想想你所有的朋友。
You know, you can think think of all your friends.
是啊。
Yeah.
你大概能把他们分成两类:这个人应该创业,那个人不应该。
You can probably put them in groups of this person should, this person shouldn't.
嗯哼。
Mhmm.
那么划分的标准是什么?
And what defines who goes in which group?
在我看来,关键在于他们为实现那个想法付诸了多少行动。
To me, it's how far they go in doing something about that idea.
因为我有些朋友会发消息跟我聊他们的创意,但之后就再没下文了。
Because I will have friends that will text me ideas or talk to me about ideas, and then I never hear from them again about that thing.
我不担心他们。
I don't worry about them.
对吧?
Right?
我觉得这里面存在选择偏差。
I I feel like there's a selection bias at play.
就像,如果他们真想付诸行动,就会推进得更深入些。
Like, if they really wanna do something about it, they would get a little further down the line.
他们会跟进联系我。
They'd follow-up with me.
他们会说,我做了这件事。
They'd say, I did this thing.
因为我总会给他们建议和反馈。
Because I'll always give them tips and feedback.
你应该这样做。
You should do this.
你应该试试这个。
You should try this.
他们会跟进。
And they'll follow-up.
然后,你知道的,在某个时间点,事情就会不了了之。
And then, you know, at some point along the line, it'll die.
对吧?
Right?
但如果他们仅仅停留在告诉我他们的想法这一步,那我也不会为他们失眠。
But if they don't get any further than just telling me their idea, then I don't I don't lose sleep over them.
所以这某种程度上是一种自我筛选的过程。
So it's kind of survive it's kind of sort of self selecting itself anyway It is.
这就是创业的本质。
Entrepreneurship.
是啊。
Yeah.
完全正确。
Absolutely.
但我还有些朋友会不断跟进、跟进、再跟进,直到最后不了了之,这也没关系。
But then I have other friends that are like the follow-up, the follow-up, the follow-up, and then and then it dies, which is okay.
我也有很多想法最终夭折了。
A lot of my ideas die too.
在我看来,这就是它本该消亡的信号。
And to me, that's the signal that it was supposed to die.
对吧?
Right?
我就会转向下一件事。
I'll just move on to the next thing.
所以这些人可能只是我个人的偏见,他们看起来更像我自己,你懂吗?
So it's those people that maybe I'm just biased and they look more like me, you know?
也许这个信号并不准确,谁知道呢。
Maybe that's not an accurate signal or not.
但如果他们看起来更像我的话,那这个信号表明他们应该继续推进,最终真正推出能产生收益的产品。
But if they look more like me, then that's a signal that they they should get further down the line and actually launch something that gets to revenue.
是的。
Yeah.
在你脑海中,想想一个你认识的绝不该创业的人。
In your head, think of one person you know that should never start a business.
好的。
Okay.
你为什么会想到那个人却不告诉我他们是谁?
Why did you think of that person without telling me who they
是谁?
are?
因为他们在工作中赚了很多钱,而且他们相当喜欢自己的工作。
Because they make a lot of money at their job, and they like their job well enough.
他们并不痛苦。
They're not miserable.
而且他们已年近五十,可能觉得创业风险太大。
And they're in their late forties, and they probably feel like it would be too big of a risk to start something.
那你客观上也认同这对他们来说风险太大吗?
And do you objectively agree that it would be too big of a risk for them?
我认同。
I do.
所以你是在权衡风险收益后,认为收益不足以抵消风险?
You so you're looking at that on a risk reward basis thinking the reward doesn't outweigh the risk here for you?
对。
Yeah.
是的。
Yeah.
因为总有人来找我,希望我能鼓励他们辞职。
Because people come to me, like, hoping that I'll encourage them to quit their job.
对吧?
Right?
就像,他们虽然没有直接开口求我,但就是在变相求我这么做。
Like, begging me to do that without actually begging me.
而我不想那样做。
And I don't wanna do that.
因为我自己从来不需要辞职。
Like, I've I've never had to quit a job.
我一开始就是自主创业的。
Like, I I started with entrepreneurship.
对吧?
Right?
所以想到48岁还要养四个孩子,却要放弃年薪40万美元的工作去尝试新事物,这对我来说简直太疯狂了。
So the thought of being 48 with four kids and quitting my $400,000 a year job to test something, it just sounds crazy to me.
但换个角度,想想你认识的那些明明很适合创业却始终没踏出那一步的人。
On the other hand, think of one person you know that isn't an entrepreneur but definitely should be.
你总在想:他们为什么不去做呢?
But you always think, why don't they do it?
是啊。
Yeah.
你为什么想到那个人?
Why did you think of that person?
因为这个人最常来找我聊想法,而且都是非常非常棒的点子。
Because it's a person that comes to me the most often with ideas, and they're really, really good ideas.
他是个工程师,所以看待世界的角度很独特。
He's an engineer, and so he sees the world in that way.
工程师往往能成为优秀的企业家。
Engineers make great entrepreneurs.
而且他的职业道德感很强。
And he has a great work ethic.
他现在处于职业生涯中期,但还没到资深阶段。
And he's like mid career, but not not so far along.
而且客观来说,我知道他其实对现在的工作相当不满。
And I know objectively that he's not he's actually quite miserable in his job.
我为他感到难过,因为我看到了他的才华。
And I hate that for him because I see the talent that's there.
我真心希望他能成功,我认为他会出类拔萃,我想看到他的梦想成真。
And I I want him like, I think he would excel, I want to see that dream come true for him.
他为什么不行动呢?
Why isn't he doing it?
我想是因为不安全感。
I think it it's insecurity.
恐惧。
Fear.
是啊。
Yeah.
害怕什么?
Fear of?
大概是害怕放弃已经为家庭提供优渥生活的确定性保障,并且永远无法再获得同样的生活。
Probably fear of just letting go of something certain that's provided his family a nice lifestyle and not getting that back again ever.
我认为不安全感是我们最好和最坏一面的根源,它既能驱使我们展现最好的一面,也能让我们沦为最糟的自己,这取决于我们对这些不安全的自我认知程度。
I think that insecurities are at the root of our best and our worst selves, and it can drive us to be our best or our worst selves depending on how self aware we are about those insecurities.
从你的角度看,他的思维方式是否存在一点缺陷?
Is there a little bit of a flaw in his thinking in your perspective?
就像,为什么尽管他所说的关于家庭保障的看法在你看来是真实的,你仍然认为他应该...嗯...
Like, why is it you you still even though what he's saying there about, you know, what you think he believes there about security for his family is true, you still think he should Mhmm.
这表明你认为他在思考这个问题的方式上存在某种缺陷。
Which suggests that there's some kind of flaw you see in it the way he's thinking about it.
是的。
Yeah.
因为他不必辞职。
Because he doesn't have to quit his job.
完全可以在晚上和周末抽出足够时间来验证这个想法的可行性。
There's enough time in the day to do this on the nights and weekends, to to do enough of it to really prove itself out.
通常来说,如果我们只在业余时间经营副业,它的发展空间会非常有限。
Oftentimes, like, whatever our side hustle is, it has a very low ceiling if we're only working on it after hours.
对吧?
Right?
假设我们每周花20小时在副业上,一年能赚5万美元。
Let's say we're spending twenty hours a week on a side hustle and it makes us $50,000 a year.
但我们的本职工作年薪20万美元,每周要投入40小时。
But our job pays us $200,000 a year, and we spend forty hours a week on that.
我注意到一个现象,虽然与我对于放弃某事的看法相矛盾——当我们把每周20小时投入5万美元的副业增加到40小时并辞去全职工作时,那5万美元的年收入会变成50万美元。
One thing that I've noticed, which is kind of contradictory to how I feel about quitting something, is when we go from twenty hours a week on our the $50,000 a year side hustle to forty hours a week and we quit the full time thing, That $50,000 a year goes to 500,000.
对吧?
Right?
我们只是投入了双倍时间,却获得了十倍的收入。
We double the amount of hours, but we 10 times the amount of money that comes from it.
正因为我们破釜沉舟背水一战,这事必须成功。我只是不希望人们过早破釜沉舟。
Because of the fact that we burn the boats, that it has to work, I just I don't want people to burn the boats too soon.
对吧?
Right?
比如说,必须有一条明确的路径。
Like, there has to be a pathway.
比如说,假设我们的Facebook广告转化效果非常好。
Like, let's say our Facebook ads are converting really well.
我们已经测试过扩大规模,它们是有利可图的,而且我们清楚那会是什么样子。
We've tested scaling it, and they're profitable, and we know what that would look like.
但如果我们扩大规模,那么我们将会面临更多的客户服务投诉。
But if we scale it, then we're gonna have more customer service complaints.
我们得对网站架构做更多工作。
We're gonna have to do more architecture of the website.
但我们看到了规模化发展的路径,而且它已经盈利了。
But we'd like we see a path to scaling, and it's already profitable.
而且我们知道,可能我的老板会重新接纳我。
And we know that, like, probably my boss will take me back.
我们某种程度上拥有这些安全网。
Like, we have kind of these, safety nets.
这就像是破釜沉舟的最佳时机。
That's, like, the perfect time to really burn the boat.
不是在我们刚有个想法或只做了少量测试,但尚未充分验证的时候。
Not when, like, we have an idea or we've tested it a little bit, but not thoroughly.
在我看来那还为时过早。
That's too soon in my opinion.
你说'破釜沉舟'是指那个比喻吧,我猜是借鉴了某些战争领袖的做法——他们登陆要攻占的岛屿后会烧毁船只,断绝退路。
And but by burn the boats, you mean the analogy of, I guess, some of the the wartime leaders who would pull up on an island that they were invading and burn the boat so that they had no plan b.
嗯。
Mhmm.
正是如此。
Exactly.
对。
Yeah.
就是不留退路。
To quit.
你觉得B计划这个概念真的重要吗?
Do you think that really matters, the whole idea of a plan b?
你认为人们在创业时应该准备B计划吗?
Do you think people should have a plan b when they embark on entrepreneurship?
我能自相矛盾一下吗?
Can I contradict myself?
百分之百可以。
A 100%.
好吧。
Alright.
理性的克里斯,那个有四个孩子的克里斯会说:当然需要。
So the rational Chris, the Chris with four kids says, absolutely.
毕竟你得当个好爸爸。
Like, you gotta be a dad.
还得当个好丈夫。
You gotta be a husband.
你必须养家糊口。
You gotta provide for your family.
对吧?
Right?
再说一遍,现在有太多工具可用于测试、扩展和外包。
And, again, there's so many tools out there for testing, for scaling, for outsourcing.
我们可以找个商业伙伴来帮忙分担压力。
We can find a business partner to help pick up the slack.
我们可以利用自己的孩子。
We could use our kids.
我们可以利用配偶,诸如此类。
We could use our spouse, whatever.
在彻底放弃之前,我们有太多方法可以真正验证某个项目是否可行,根本不必走到放弃那一步。
There's so many ways to really vet something out before quitting that we don't have to quit.
但另一方面,在我的创业生涯中,曾有两次别人替我破釜沉舟的经历。
But on the other side of my mouth, there's been, two times in my entrepreneurial career when someone burned the boats for me.
对吧?
Right?
我抵达一座岛屿,所以我有备用计划。
I pull up to an island, and so I've got my plan b.
我正在测试这个业务。
I'm testing this business.
这个业务是盈利的。
This business is profitable.
它能支付账单。
It's paying the bills.
然后半夜有人偷偷溜出去,烧了我的船,我醒来时心想,哇,我的备用计划呢?
And then someone else in the middle of the night, they snuck out, they burn my boats and I wake up and I'm like, woah, where's my plan B?
我还没准备好烧掉那些船。
I wasn't ready to burn those boats yet.
而计划A却意外地蓬勃发展。
And plan A just freaking thrives.
对吧?
Right?
这倒不是因为我没有了安全网,而是因为那件事让我憋着一股劲儿,想要证明那些坏人是错的。
And it's not so much because of the fact that I don't have a safety net anymore, but it's because that event put a chip on my shoulder that makes me want to to prove those bad guys wrong.
对吧?
Right?
简单来说
To oversimplify.
就是那些烧我船的人
Those guys that burned my boat.
有毒的激励
Toxic motivation.
没错
Exactly.
这是个很好的说法
That's a that's a good way to put it.
我要证明给他们看,没有那些船我也能行。
To show them, I didn't need those boats.
我不会回头。
I'm not going back.
对吧?
Right?
这座岛比我来的地方好多了。
This island is better than where I came from.
我记得读过一项关于备选方案的研究,他们把学生分成两组,让他们解谜题赢取奖励。
I remember reading about a study on plan b's where they got a group of students, two groups, and then they told them to do a puzzle to win a treat.
然后他们告诉其中一组,如果愿意的话,之后可以在走廊的自动售货机获得同样的奖励。
And then in one of the groups, they told them that they could get this treat at a vending machine down the hallway if they if they wanted it after.
而不明白可以从备选方案获得相同奖励的那组人,嗯。
And the group that didn't understand they could get the same reward from a plan b Mhmm.
在解谜题时明显更加努力。
Worked significantly harder to complete that puzzle.
人类心理中有这样一种现象:当你知道可以通过其他方式获得奖励时,当你有备选方案B时,我们在方案A上就不会那么努力了。
So there's something in the human psyche of when you know that you could get the reward in another way, when you have a plan b, we work less hard at the plan a.
我不这么认为。
I don't think that.
从逻辑上讲,也许我们应该... 你知道的... 是的。
Logically, maybe we should, you know Yeah.
从实际和不负责任的角度来说,把备选方案B从我的脑海中抹去。
By practical and unresponsible, remove the plan b from my mind.
是啊。
Yeah.
没错。
Yeah.
我只是...我想不出我认识的人里有谁测试过某些事情,放弃了方案A,然后备选方案B也失败了。
I just like I I can't think of any stories from people in my sphere of influence that have tested something, quit the plan a, and then plan b just failed.
然后他们就失去了一切。
And, like, they just lost everything.
就像,这种事肯定发生过。
Like, surely that's happened.
对吧?
Right?
当人们过早放弃时,这种情况确实会发生。
That does happen when people, like, prematurely quit.
但根据我的经验,这种情况就是没发生过。
But in my experience, it just it doesn't happen.
就像,它反而产生了相反的效果。
Like, it it has the opposite effect.
这变成了一个巨大的激励因素。
It becomes this huge motivating factor.
当他们放弃时,我会问他们,你感觉如何?
And when they quit, I ask them, like, how do you feel?
你是不是慌得要命?
Are you freaking out?
而且总是,总是这样,我现在超级兴奋。
And it's always, always, I'm so excited right now.
就像,我要全力以赴做这件事。
Like, I'm gonna go all in on this.
就像,这事必须成,而且确实成了。
Like, this has to work, and it does.
它就是能成。
It just does.
很多人想通过副业获得被动收入。
A lot of people are looking for passive income from side hustles.
我想知道你如何看待被动收入,因为这个词经常被提到,嗯。
And I wondered what your your opinion was on passive income because it's a word that comes up so often Mhmm.
在这个频道的评论区里。
In the comments section of this channel.
但当我们分析人们的兴趣点时,被动收入似乎有点像个流行词。
But when we're doing sort of sentiment analysis on what people are, what they're interested in, passive income seems to be a bit of a buzzword.
是啊。
Yeah.
它就是万灵丹。
It's the silver bullet.
对吧?
Right?
可以说它就像是金融界的'瘦身神药'。
It's like it's the it's the financial Ozempic, you could say.
什么是被动收入?
What is passive income?
该如何定义这个概念呢?
How would how would one define that?
我会将其定义为无需持续付出努力就能获得的收入,比如购买国债,让你的钱获得4%的收益,你什么都不用做就能拿到钱。
I would define it as income that you receive that you don't have to continually put effort towards, like buying treasuries, earning 4% on on your money, and you don't do anything, and you just get paid.
而且这种收入非常难获得,尤其是在早期阶段。
And it's it's very hard to find, especially early on.
就是说,我们必须愿意创造主动收入、辛苦收入、不那么体面的收入。
Like, we have to be willing to create active income, sweaty income, ugly income, like, by whatever means necessary.
我们做得越多,坚持得越久,真正的被动收入就越有可能实现。
And the more we do that, the longer we do that, the more realistic true passive income actually is.
辛苦活。
Sweaty, ugly income.
是的。
Yeah.
给我举个具体例子,说明现在正在听的人可以创造的辛苦钱。
Give me an example of some sweaty, ugly income that anyone listening right now could could create.
你最喜欢哪些不太为人所知但最终带来被动收入的创业案例?
What are your favorite examples of non obvious businesses that people have started that have resulted in passive sweaty, ugly income?
没错。
Yeah.
我的意思是,我开始的很多事情都是这样的。
I mean, most things that I've started have been just that.
我做过汽车代购服务。
I had a a concierge car buying business.
汽车代购服务。
A concierge car buying business.
对。
Yeah.
那是什么?
What's that?
想象一下传统的二手车经销商。
So picture a traditional car dealership, a used car dealership.
你需要获得经销商许可证,这样你才能合法地去拍卖会以批发价购买汽车,放在你的场地上销售。
You gotta get your dealer's permit that enables you legally to go to the auctions and buy cars at wholesale, put them on your lot and sell them.
所以我完成了所有的合规手续。
So I did all the regulatory stuff.
我拿到了经销商许可证,然后我会去找个人客户,他们会说想要一辆2024款红杉。
I got my my dealer's permit, but then I would go to individuals and they would say, want a 2024 Sequoia.
我想要一辆蓝色、里程数低于3万英里的车,然后我会去拍卖会帮他们买下,只收700美元的服务费。
I want it to be blue under 30,000 miles, and I would just go to the auction and buy it for them for, like, $700 fee.
这样他们就能以批发价购车。
So they get wholesale.
他们能省钱。
They save money.
我能赚钱。
I make money.
我不必承担库存风险,还能精准买到他们想要的车。
I don't have to bear the inventory risk, and I can buy exactly what they want.
理论上听起来很棒,对吧?
That sounds great, right, on paper.
有人做这门生意很成功。
People do that business successfully.
这不是我发明的模式。
I didn't invent it.
我照搬了这个模式。
I copied it.
对吧?
Right?
我讨厌这份工作。
I hated it.
我经常在从拍卖会开车回来的路上抛锚。
I was breaking down on the side of the road driving these things back from the auction.
我不是个懂车的人。
I'm not a car guy.
我对车毫无兴趣。
I don't care about cars.
我不会修车。
I don't work on cars.
这不是我的热情所在。
It's not my passion.
那真是太糟糕了。
That was ugly.
德克萨斯州天气很热。
It was hot in Texas.
我站在柏油路上。
I was standing out on the blacktop.
我当时在赚钱。
I was making money.
这很赚钱。
It was profitable.
后来我发展到直接放弃的地步。
And I got to the point where I just like quit it.
我直接关停了业务,转做其他事情。
I just shut it down, moved on to something else.
那段时期非常活跃。
That was very active.
关于 Bayt 播客
Bayt 提供中文+原文双语音频和字幕,帮助你打破语言障碍,轻松听懂全球优质播客。