本集简介
双语字幕
仅展示文本字幕,不包含中文音频;想边听边看,请使用 Bayt 播客 App。
嘿。
Hey.
我是你的朋友梅尔,欢迎收听梅尔·罗宾斯播客。
It's your friend Mel, and welcome to the Mel Robbins podcast.
你有没有想过,为什么你明明知道自己想要什么,却总是无法实现呢?
Have you ever wondered why is it that you can know what you want, but for some reason, you can't seem to make it happen.
比如,今年你可能想减肥、掌控财务、开启人生新篇章、戒烟、开始冥想、找份工作、开始写日记。
Like, maybe this is the year you wanna lose weight or take control of your money or start a new chapter, stop smoking, start meditating, get a job, start journaling.
你知道自己想要什么,但不知为何,就是无法突破自己的阻碍。
You know what you want, But for some reason, you just can't get out of your own way.
我曾经也这样过。
I've been there.
你也曾经这样过。
You've been there.
这真的让人很沮丧。
It's so frustrating.
你现在生活中那些让你抓狂的人,他们也正困在自己的方式里。
And the people in your life right now that are driving you crazy, they're in their own way too.
这就是为什么我们今天的对话以及你将学到的工具将会如此改变人生。
That's why our conversation and the tools you're gonna learn today are going to be so life changing.
我的意思是,你会感到肩上的重担被卸下,因为今天在波士顿的演播室里,我们邀请了一位世界知名的行為科學家,她同时也是宾夕法尼亚大学沃顿商学院的讲席教授。
I mean, you're gonna feel a weight lifted off your shoulders because in our studios today here in Boston, we have a world renowned behavioral scientist, and she is also an endowed professor at the Wharton School of Business at the University of Pennsylvania.
她将揭示那些一直阻碍你获得人生所求的七个隐藏障碍。
She is here to reveal the seven hidden barriers that have been stopping you from getting what you want out of life.
这不仅仅是她个人的观点,认为存在这些障碍。
And this is not just her opinion that there are these barriers.
这些障碍是在沃顿商学院的‘行为改变与福祉’实验室中被发现的。
They were uncovered in her lab, the Behavior Change for Good initiative at Wharton School of Business.
它们源自对192多位研究人员成果的整合。
They come from consolidating the findings from over 192 researchers.
我迫不及待想让你发现你自己的具体障碍是什么。
I cannot wait for you to discover what your specific barrier is.
更重要的是,你将学会针对这七个障碍中的每一个所使用的、有确切证据支持的策略。
And even more importantly, you're gonna learn the exact evidence backed strategy to use for each one of these seven barriers.
因为根据让你停滞不前的具体障碍,你需要不同的工具。
Because depending on which one is keeping you stuck, you're gonna need a different tool.
我不知道你怎么样,但我个人已经准备好迎接这一切了,我相信你也一样。
I don't know about you, but I am personally ready for this, and I'm sure you are too.
嘿。
Hey.
我是你的朋友梅尔,我想跟你分享一个我成功的秘密。
It's your friend Mel, and I wanna let you in on a little secret to my success.
在过去二十年里的每一年,我都会进行同样的年终规划流程。
Every single year for the last twenty years, I go through the same year end planning process.
这是一种简单的方法,帮助我创造人生中下一个最好的一年。
It's a simple way that I create the next best year of my life.
我会问自己六个问题。
There are six questions I ask myself.
这些问题都得到了研究支持,已被证明能帮助你明确自己想要什么,并带着目标感和行动计划迎接新的一年。
They're all backed by research, all proven to help you get clear about what you want and step into next year with a sense of purpose and the plan to help you create it.
现在,我想与你分享这些问题。
I now want to share them with you.
我有一个免费的工作簿,你可以下载,它将引导你完成我的年终规划流程。
I have a free workbook that you can download that will guide you through my year end planning process.
你会变得无比清晰。
You will be so clear.
你会充满信心,并且确切知道如何将2026年打造成有史以来最棒的一年。
You will be confident and you will know exactly how to create 2026 as the best year ever.
作为你的朋友,我要告诉你,你值得拥有人生中最棒的一年,尤其是经历了这一切之后。
And as your friend, I'm gonna tell you, you deserve to have the best year of your life, especially after everything you've been through.
请在 melrobbins.com/bestyear 注册。
Sign up at melrobbins.com/bestyear.
嘿。
Hey.
我是你的朋友梅尔,欢迎收听梅尔·罗宾斯播客。
It's your friend Mel, and welcome to the Mel Robbins Podcast.
我非常高兴你在这里。
I am so excited that you're here.
能与你相聚并共度这段时光,我感到无比荣幸。
It's such an honor to be together and to spend this time with you.
如果你是新听众,或者因为有人分享给你而来到这里,我想花一点时间,亲自欢迎你加入梅尔·罗宾斯播客大家庭。
And if you're a new listener or you're here because somebody shared this with you, I just wanna take a moment and personally welcome you to the Mel Robbins Podcast family.
我迫不及待想让你认识今天的嘉宾——凯蒂·米尔克曼教授。
I cannot wait for you to meet today's guest, professor Katie Milkman.
她亲临我们在波士顿的演播室,为你传授七种改变今年生活的隐秘策略。
She is here in our Boston studios to teach you seven hidden strategies to change your life this year.
米尔克曼教授是一位获奖的行為科学家,也是宾夕法尼亚大学沃顿商学院的讲席教授,而沃顿商学院被誉为美国排名第一的商学院。
Professor Milkman is an award winning behavioral scientist and an endowed professor at the Wharton School of Business at the University of Pennsylvania, which is ranked the number one business school in The United States.
她从哈佛大学获得了计算机科学与商业领域的博士学位。
She received her PhD from Harvard University in computer science and business.
在沃顿商学院,她教授有关改变与决策科学的课程。
At Wharton, she teaches courses about the science of change and decision making.
米尔克曼教授是宾夕法尼亚大学行为改变公益计划的联合创始人和联合主任,她领导着大规模的临床研究和实地实验,涉及数万人,旨在验证真正能帮助你我实现承诺改变的因素。
Professor Milkman is the co founder and co director of the Behavior Change for Good initiative at the University of Pennsylvania, where she runs massive clinical research studies and field experiments that involve tens of thousands of people testing exactly what helps you and me follow through on the changes we say we want.
她还是畅销书《如何改变:从现状迈向你想要的未来》的作者,并担任顶级学术期刊《管理科学》的副主编。
She's also the author of the bestselling book, How to Change the Science of Getting from Where You Are to Where You Want to Be, and an associate editor at the highly acclaimed research journal, Management Science.
她还曾为美国红十字会和美国国防部等重要机构提供咨询,帮助人们做出更好的决策。
She's also advised major institutions, including the American Red Cross and the US Department of Defense, on how to help people make better decisions.
今天,她将帮助你消除目前阻碍你实现目标的七个隐藏障碍。
And today, she's here to help you remove the seven hidden barriers that are currently keeping you from getting what you want.
所以,请大家欢迎。
So please help me welcome Doctor.
凯蒂·米爾克曼登上《梅尔·罗宾斯播客》。
Katie Milkman to the Mel Robbins Podcast.
谢谢你们邀请我。
Thanks for having me.
非常感谢你抽出时间。
I really appreciate you making the time.
我关注你的研究已经超过十年了,很高兴我们能有机会深入探讨这些帮助你改变生活的研究成果。
I've been a fan of your work for over a decade, and I love that we're gonna get this chance to dig into research that helps you change your life.
你的研究启发了全球许多关于习惯的畅销书,而现在,我们有幸请到了这位开创者亲临现场。
It's informed some of the biggest books on habits on the planet, and now we have the OG with us in person.
我想先问问,米尔克曼教授,如果我采纳你即将传授的一切、你即将解释的研究成果,并将其应用到我的生活中,我的生活会有什么不同?
I wanna start, professor Milkman, by talking about how could my life be different if I take everything you're about to teach us, the research you're about to explain, and I apply it to my life?
会发生什么改变?
What's gonna change?
每个人都有一个目标。
Every single person has a goal.
你现在就有一个想要实现的目标。
You have a goal that you want to achieve right now.
即使你还没有明确表达出来,你的生活中也一定有某个方面是你希望改善的。
Even if you haven't articulated it, there's some aspect of your life that you want to improve.
你想变得更好。
You wanna get better.
而且很可能还有一些你关心的人,你也希望帮助他们改善。
And there's also probably people you care about who you wanna help improve.
有很多科学方法可以帮助你更快、更有可能地实现目标。
And there's a lot of science that you can use to get there faster and with higher probability.
但当我们有了目标,或者当我们想帮助关心的人实现目标时,我们通常只是凭直觉行事。
But most of us, when we have that goal, we when we have someone we care about, if we wanna help achieve a goal, we're just shooting from our hip.
我们并没有基于证据来制定策略。
We are not basing our strategies on evidence.
我希望今天能与大家分享一套工具,你可以立即使用,让实现你的目标变得更加容易,也能帮助他人达成同样的目标——无论是健身、理顺财务、获得职场晋升,还是你正在努力实现的任何目标,我们实际上都有基于证据的工具来提供帮助。
And what I hope to share today is a set of tools you can use immediately to make it easier to achieve whatever it is you wanna achieve and to help other people do the same, whether that's getting in shape, whether that's getting your finances in order, whether it's getting a promotion at work, whatever that goal is you're trying to tackle, we actually have evidence based tools to help.
因此,希望通过本集节目,你能学到很多、成长很多,从而以更强大的自己去迎接新的目标。
So, hopefully, by the end of this episode, you'll have learned and grown a lot in ways that will allow you to be a stronger version as you approach a new goal.
你知道我最兴奋的是什么吗?
You know what I'm excited about?
我突然感到非常乐观,因为你就在这里。
I feel very optimistic all of a sudden because you're here.
不。
No.
我是认真的。
I mean that.
我是真心这么认为的,因为我认为我们很多人都有过强烈想要改变的经历,我很感激你肯定了我们每个人内心都渴望变得更好、做得更好的愿望。
I mean that sincerely because I think a lot of us have that experience of really wanting to change, and I appreciate you validating that inside each and every one of us is a desire to feel better and do better.
我们不仅为自己想要这样,也为我们在乎的人想要这样。
And we not only want it for ourselves, we want it for the people that we care about.
所以在问我的下一个问题之前,我想对正在听或在YouTube上观看我们的你直接说:你即将学到的一切——米尔克曼教授将要揭示的研究、基于证据的策略——都适用于我们所有人,但我想让你在听或看的时候,让这些内容与你个人产生联系。
And so before I ask you my next question, I just wanna speak to you as you're listening or as you're watching us on YouTube because everything that you're about to learn, the research that professor Milkman's gonna unpack, the evidence based strategies, they're universal to all of us, but I want to make this personal as you listen or watch.
所以,我希望你能思考一下:你的目标是什么?
And so I do want you to think, what is the goal?
你要改变的是什么?
What is the change?
是存钱吗?
Is it saving money?
是吃得更健康吗?
Is it eating healthier?
是多锻炼吗?
Is it exercising more?
是减肥吗?
Is it losing weight?
是多花时间陪伴家人和朋友吗?
Is it spending more time with family and friends?
是戒烟、戒电子烟或戒酒吗?
Is it quitting smoking or vaping or drinking?
少花钱吗?
Spending less money?
找到更好的工作吗?
Getting a better job?
想想你想要做出哪些积极的改变。
Think about what you wanna change for the better.
因为如果你心中有这个目标,你就可以将所有这些证据和研究成果应用到你人生中的每一个目标上。
Because if you have that in mind, you can apply all this evidence and all this research to every single goal you might have in life.
所以我只是邀请你这样做,因为这会让你的收获更加深刻。
So I just invite you to do that because it's gonna make this way more impactful for you.
你知道吗,米尔克曼教授,你整个职业生涯不仅研究、探索、撰写和教授关于为什么改变如此困难的问题。
You know, professor Milkman, you have spent your entire career not only studying, researching, writing, and teaching about why change is so hard.
我们被灌输的关于改变的最大谎言是什么?
What is the biggest lie that we've been told about change?
我认为最大的谎言是:你只需要更努力工作或依靠意志力。
I think the biggest lie is that you should just work harder or use your willpower.
如果你无法忍住痛苦并实现这个具有挑战性的目标,那就说明你有问题。
And that there's something wrong with you if you can't push through the pain and achieve this challenging goal.
但事实是,这并不是改变的关键。
And the truth is that's not the key to change.
并不是你内心缺少了什么,才导致你做不到。
It's not that you lack something inside you, and that's the reason that you can't do it.
实际上,通常是因为你没有设定正确的策略。
It's actually normally that you haven't set up the right strategies.
你没有合适的支援系统。
You don't have the right support systems.
你身上并没有什么故障。
There's not something broken in you.
如果你把失败归咎于自己的天性,说我不具备实现这一改变的意志力。
And if you blame the way you're designed, and you say, you know, I I don't have the willpower to make this change.
或者我只是觉得我有问题,我做不到。
Or I just you know, there's something wrong with me, and I can't do it.
你这是在让自己注定失败。
You're setting yourself up to fail.
仅仅依靠意志力、毅力或坚韧是不够的。
It doesn't just take willpower or grit or fortitude.
这需要策略。
It takes strategy.
而且需要理解如何在做困难事情本身就很难的情况下,为自己创造成功的条件。
And it takes understanding how do you set yourself up for success despite the fact that doing hard things is hard.
你必须做出改变,让做困难的事情变得容易。
You have to change it so that doing hard things becomes easy.
因为没有人天生擅长做困难的事情。
Because no one's good at doing hard things.
所以我们必须让这件事变得有趣。
So we have to make it enjoyable.
我们必须让这件事令人难忘。
We have to make it memorable.
我们必须让这件事具有社交性。
We have to make it social.
我们必须运用所有最佳证据,以策略性地克服这些挑战,使用那些能引导我们走向成功而非失败的工具。
We have to bring to bear all the best evidence to strategically overcome these challenges, and we can use the tools that are gonna lead us to success instead of to failure.
我喜欢你开头提到的这一点,因为我认为,当我们设定一个大目标并真正想要改变时,大多数人却不知道如何让改变持续下去,甚至不知道如何开始改变。
Well, what I love about where you're starting is I think most of us, when we have a big goal and we really wanna change, but we can't seem to figure out how to make the change stick or how to change at all.
我开始明白的一点是,这对我来说是一个全新的想法:根据你即将与我们分享的证据、研究和策略,学习如何改变是一种技能。
What I'm starting to get, which I think is a brand new idea for me, is that based on the evidence and based on the research that you're about to share with us and based on the strategies you're going to teach us, that learning how to change is a skill.
完全正确。
Absolutely.
学习如何改变是一种技能。
Learning how to change is a skill.
就像使用Excel表格是一种技能一样。
Just like using an Excel spreadsheet is a skill.
你可以掌握这项技能,并了解其中所需的要素。
And you can master that skill, and you can learn what it takes.
更重要的是,一旦你掌握了它,它就具有双重作用。
And importantly, once you learn it, it has dual functions.
它不仅帮助你取得更多成就,你还可以利用这些见解去帮助你关心的每一个人。
Not only does it actually help you achieve more, you can use those insights to help all the people you care about.
哦,我喜欢这个。
Oh, I love that.
在我看来,这是一种神奇的技能,这就是为什么我喜欢研究它并分享科学成果,因为它有这么多好处。
That's sort of a magic skill in my opinion, and so that's why I like to study it and and share the science because it has so many benefits.
所以,你要教我们的那些方法——无论是为了省钱、戒酒、多花时间陪伴朋友,还是减肥,实现我们生活中想做的所有事情——我们都可以把这些工具提供给生活中每一个人。
So the same things that you're gonna teach us that we need to do so we can save money and stop drinking and spend more time with friends and lose weight, do all the things that we wanna do in life, we can give these same tools to everybody in our lives.
无论你指导谁,天啊。
Whoever you coach Oh my gosh.
你养育的孩子、你教导的学生、你指导的后辈,每个人都需要同样的东西。
Who you parent, who you teach, who you mentor, Everyone needs the same things.
我经常被问到:‘这个策略对八十多岁的女性有效吗?’
I'm constantly getting questions like, oh, but does this strategy work for women in their eighties?
还有,这个方法在印度管用吗?
And, you know, does this work in India?
是的。
Like, yes.
确实如此。
It really does.
我们接下来要讨论的这些障碍,都是人性使然。
These the things we're gonna talk about, the barriers, they're human.
我们都是普通人。
We're all human.
无论年龄、性别、种族,我们都是人。
We're human no matter our age, our gender, our race.
我们都有相同的障碍,因此也能从相同的工具中受益。
We all have the same barriers, and we can all therefore benefit from the same tools.
米尔克曼教授,通过您的大量研究,您发现了这七个改变的障碍。
Professor Milkman, through your extensive research, you have identified that there are these seven barriers to change.
您是如何发现它们的?它们具体是什么?
How did you discover them, and what are they?
我研究行为改变已经有大约二十年了。
So I've been studying behavior change for roughly twenty years.
我在宾夕法尼亚大学领导一个名为‘行为改变卓越计划’的研究中心。
I run a research center at the University of Pennsylvania called the Behavior Change for Good Initiative.
在开展工作时,我注意到大多数试图推动改变的人和组织都采用了一刀切的方法。
And in doing my work, one of the things I noticed is that most people and organizations that are trying to create change, they approach it with a one size fits all mentality.
比如说,设定宏大而雄心勃勃的目标。
Sort of, you know, let's set big audacious goals.
想象成功的情景。
Let's visualize success.
去指导人们朝着他们需要的改变前进。
Let's, you know, coach people towards the change they need.
咔哒声。
Clicking.
我开始意识到,在采取下一步之前,这一点至关重要——就像医生面对头痛患者时,会先诊断头痛的原因,再提出治疗方法。
And one of the things I I started to notice was that it seemed really critical before taking that step, just like a doctor would try to diagnose, you know, when a patient comes in with a headache, what's causing the headache before coming up with a cure.
我们对行为改变也需要做同样的事情。
We need to do the same for behavior change.
我们需要理解它,才能正确地治疗它。
We need to understand it to treat it properly.
因此,这促使我开始深入探究:在人们试图改变时,哪些障碍是反复出现并持续阻碍他们的?
And so that led to sort of starting to dig and say, what are the kinds of barriers that are consistently arising that seem to be holding people back as they're trying to make change.
我与安吉拉·达克沃斯在宾夕法尼亚大学共同领导这个研究中心,那里有180位科学家。
And I have a 180 scientists associated with this research center that I co direct with Angela Duckworth at the University of Pennsylvania.
这些不是我提出的七个障碍。
These are not my seven barriers.
这些障碍是整个领域经过长期研究、由众多背景各异的科学家共同发现的,我也参与其中,进行整合与提炼,认识到要想提供有效的解决方案,我们必须先诊断出具体是哪种障碍。
These are really the barriers that the field has unearthed, that all of these scientists with all different backgrounds studying change had been building over a long time period and that I'd been contributing to as well, synthesizing that and recognizing we need in order to be able to offer solutions, we need to diagnose what's the specific barrier.
当我们针对真正导致问题的障碍采取措施时,效果要好得多,而不是试图使用这些
And we see much better results when we're tackling the barrier that is actually underlying the problem than when we try these sort
普适性的解决方案。
of universal solutions.
我喜欢这一点,因为如果你从一个前提出发——即倾听者、我或任何人,都真心渴望改变:比如你真心想更健康、想赚更多钱、想减重、想存钱。
I love this because if you start with the premise that the person listening or me or anybody has a desire to change, like you earnestly want to feel healthier, you wanna make more money, you wanna lose weight, You wanna save money.
你想多花点时间和家人朋友在一起。
You want to spend more time with your family and friends.
你有这种真实的愿望,但突然间,一切就崩溃了。
So you have this authentic desire, but then all of a sudden, everything just falls apart.
因此,我非常欣赏通过这些研究,你们发现了七个我们可能根本意识不到的障碍,它们正阻止我们去做那些能让渴望的改变成为可能的事情。
And so I love that through all this research, you've identified that there are seven barriers that we probably don't even realize are there that are preventing us from doing the things that would make the change that we so desperately want possible.
那么,基于研究,阻碍我们改变的七个障碍是什么?
So what are the seven barriers based on research to our ability to change?
首先是起步的困难。
Well, the first is the challenge of just getting started.
你必须开始。
You have to begin.
然后是冲动,即我们倾向于希望事情立即得到满足。
After that, impulsivity, which is our tendency to want things to feel instantly gratifying.
接着是拖延,把事情推迟。
Then we have procrastination, putting it off.
今天能做的事,为什么要留到明天呢?
Why do today what I could put off until tomorrow?
健忘,如果不在心上,我就不会坚持下去。
Forgetfulness, if it's not top of mind, I'm not gonna follow through.
所以我们需要确保记得自己会忘记。
So we need to make sure that we remember forgetting.
懒惰,听起来像是侮辱,但其实是一种赞美,因为选择阻力最小的路径是好事。
Laziness, which sounds like an insult, but really is a compliment because it's good to take the path of least resistance.
我们懒惰是好事,但当你想改变时,这种天生偏好捷径和简单解决方案的倾向就会成为障碍。
It's great that we're lazy, but it can be a barrier when you wanna change that you're wired to prefer shortcuts and easy solutions.
然后是自信。
And then confidence.
如果你不相信自己能做出改变,那就很难说服自己坚持下去。
If you don't believe that you can make a change, then it's gonna be really hard to convince yourself to follow through.
最后,从众心理是改变的另一个障碍。
And then finally, conformity is another barrier to change.
我周围的人,我看着他们做什么,然后认为那就是我所能达到的全部可能性。
The people around me, I look at what they do, and and I believe that's all that's possible for me.
因此,我顺应了这些规范,而如果这种顺从并没有促使我做出我想做的改变,它就会成为一种障碍。
And so I conform to those norms, and and that can be a barrier if it's not if conformity is not shaping me to make the changes I wanna make.
我喜欢这一点,因为你为我们提供了一个框架,让我们能够理解自己的行为方式,然后找到应对方法。
What I love about this is you're providing us a framework so that we can understand the way that we operate and then figure out workarounds.
你提到了无法开始、冲动、拖延、健忘、懒惰——这本质上是处理你已有的习惯、自动行为和已形成的捷径,缺乏自信以及那种‘这不会奏效’的沮丧感,还有从众心理。
And so you talked about not getting started, impulsivity, procrastination, forgetfulness, laziness, which is basically having to deal with the habits you already have and your automatic behaviors and the shortcuts you already take, lack of confidence and that discouragement that it's not gonna work, and then conformity.
当你逐一讲述时,我觉得很有趣,我敢肯定,当你在YouTube上听或看时,你也会想:‘哦,这是我的问题。’
What was interesting for me as you were going through it, and I'm sure as you were listening or watching on YouTube, you probably were like, oh, that's my problem.
哦,这个我没什么问题,但我那个问题很大。
Oh, that's oh, I don't have a problem with that, but I got a problem with that one.
对我来说,就是冲动,叮叮叮叮叮,还有健忘。
And for me, was like impulsivity, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, forgetfulness.
这真是我生活的噩梦。
That is the bane of my existence.
这对我来说很重要,但天哪。
It's important to me, but oh my god.
所以我想一步一步来,谈谈关于这七个方面各自的研究发现,因为无论你的目标是什么——无论是存钱、找新工作、遇见某人并坠入爱河,还是减肥——你都会遇到这七个内在障碍中的一个或多个。
And so I wanna go those step by step and talk about what the research says around each one of these seven because whatever goal you have, whether it's saving money or it's finding a new job or it's meeting somebody and falling in love or losing weight, all of these things, you're gonna come up against one of these seven internal barriers.
或者不止一个。
Or more than one.
或者不止一个。
Or more than one.
那么,我们先深入第一个障碍,我认为这是我们所有人都有时会面临的障碍,那就是难以开始。
Well, let's dig into the first one, which I think is something we all struggle with sometimes, which is just this barrier of just getting started.
这对很多人来说都是一个巨大的障碍,我知道我应该做。
That's a big barrier for a lot of us is, I know I should do it.
我知道我应该做。
I know I should do it.
但什么时候我才去做呢?
But but when will I do it?
我认为新鲜开始效应是我们拥有的最好的工具
I think the fresh start effect is the best tool we have
嗯。
k.
用于激励新的开始,激励我们行动起来。
For motivating a new beginning, for motivating us to start.
我们还会谈到其他一些工具,你可以利用它们来获得额外的动力,促使你开始。
There are other tools we're gonna talk about that you can also leverage that'll give you a little extra kick to motivate you to begin.
但当我思考什么是最匹配的科学工具,能帮助我们在难以开始时迈出第一步时,新鲜开始就是最佳选择。
But when I think about what's the best matched scientific tool that can help us get going when we have been struggling to start, fresh starts of the one.
你能详细解释一下你的研究,说明什么是新鲜开始效应吗?
Can you break down your research and explain what the fresh start effect is?
我很乐意。
I would love to.
这是我研究过最喜欢的内容之一。
This is one of my favorite things I've ever studied.
我应该提到,这篇论文的第一作者是我的前学生,戴恒晨。
And I should say the lead author is my former student, Heng Chen Dai.
她是才华横溢的加州大学洛杉矶分校教授。
She's brilliant UCLA professor.
我其实应该倒回去说一下,因为我觉得这个研究是如何产生的故事还挺有趣的。
And I should actually back up because I think the story of how this came about is kind of fun.
我大约十五年前访问了位于加利福尼亚州山景城的谷歌总部,
I visited Google's headquarters in Mountain View, California,
我不
I don't
当时参加了一个大型研讨会,许多人都在谈论他们的HR运营。
know, fifteen years ago roughly at this point, and I was at a big workshop with lots of people talking about their HR operations.
他们正在寻找方法,帮助员工利用诸如新教育培训、健身房等项目。
They were looking for ways to help their employees take advantage of programs like, you know, new educational trainings that they were offering, their gyms that were available, these kinds of things.
对吧?
Right?
他们知道所有能提升绩效的员工福利,嗯。
All the employee benefits that they know improve performance Mhmm.
但很多人并没有使用。
But that a lot of people are not using.
我得到了一个很棒的问题。
And I got this amazing question.
问题是,凯蒂,我们完全相信应该运用行为科学工具来促进你所描述的这些方式的采用。
The question was, okay, Katie, we are completely convinced that we should be using behavioral science tools to encourage adoption in all the ways that you've laid out.
但有没有一个最佳时机,能让我们的员工最愿意做出改变并采用我们已准备好的这些工具?
Is But there some ideal moment when our employees are gonna be most open to making a change and adopting these tools that we have waiting at the ready?
了解我们在什么时候最愿意做出改变,真的非常有价值。
Understanding when it is that all of us are most open to making a change can be really valuable.
这就是这项研究的起点。
So that's what started the work.
我们对这样一个想法产生了浓厚兴趣:人们在某些时刻比其他时候更有动力去改变,这种动力是会起伏的。
We got really interested in the idea that there are moments when people are more motivated to make a change than others, that this is something that waxes and wanes.
但我们想了解,人们最富有动力的时刻是否具有某种系统性。
But we wanted to understand if there was something systematic about when it is that people are most motivated.
我第一个想到的是,我怀疑在座的各位也可能在想:新年确实是一个特殊的时刻。
And the first thought bubble I had, which I suspect some of you who are listening are also thinking about is, well, New Year's is kind of a a special moment.
对吧?
Right?
事实上我们知道,40%的美国人——这其实是一个全球性现象。
We know actually that 40% of Americans and this is a global phenomenon.
但在美国,有40%的人会制定新年决心。
But in America, it's 40% of us make New Year's resolutions.
我们会在新年的开始,承诺在生活中做一些改变。
We say, at the beginning of the New Year, we're gonna do something different in our lives.
我们会做出一些积极的改变。
We're gonna make some positive change.
好吧,这没问题。
And, okay, fine.
这是一个时刻。
That's one moment.
但当我从那次旅行回来回到办公室后,我对这一点产生了兴趣,并开始与陈恒讨论:这究竟是什么的缩影?
But what I got interested in and started talking to Heng Chen about when I came back to my office after that trip was, what is that a microcosm of?
一定还有其他类似的时刻。
Like, there must be other moments too.
新年究竟特殊在哪里?我们还能在哪些地方找到这种神奇的魔力,把它洒在人们身上,让他们感受到全新的开始?
What is it about New Year's, and where else can we find that magic fairy dust and sprinkle it on people that gives you this sense of a fresh start?
于是我们开始阅读和学习,发现有一整套关于“自传体记忆”的文献。
And so we started reading and learning, and what we learned is there's this whole literature on something called autobiographical memory.
这些研究告诉我们,我们看待自己人生的方式并不是线性的。
And what it teaches us is that the way we think about our lives is not linear.
我们实际上会像看待小说中的角色一样回顾自己的人生,人生中存在着一些章节分界点,它们将我们对过去自我、未来自我的认知分隔开来,而这些分界点会在可预测的时刻出现。
We actually look back on our lives like we are characters in a novel and that there are chapter breaks in our lives that separate the way we think about who we were, who we will be, and those chapter breaks arise at predictable moments.
你可以把那些重大的转折点看作章节分界。
So you can think about big chapter breaks.
大的章节转折点可能是,比如你开始了某件事,或者换了一份新工作,或者搬到了一座新城市。
Big chapter breaks would be something like, you know, you started this or you started a new job or you moved to a new city.
也许你开始了新的恋情,顺便说一句,我们生活中既有积极的也有消极的章节转折点。
Maybe you started a new relationship, by the way, positive and negative chapter breaks in our lives.
当我们为这些章节画上句号时,我们会觉得自己正在经历一次重大转变。
And when we book end those chapters, what we do is we feel like we're making a major transition.
而我们开启的新章节,就是一个新的开始。
And a new chapter that we open is a new beginning.
对我们来说,我们感觉与过去的自己更加疏离了——在我搬到波士顿之前,在我加入XYZ公司之前,在我获得那次晋升之前。
To us, we feel more separated from who we were before before I moved to Boston, before I took this job at company x y z, before I got that promotion.
那是过去的我,而在那个章节转折点,我觉得现在的我已经是全新的自己了。
That was the old me, and I feel this is the new me now at that chapter break.
新年时发生的就是这样的事。
That's what's happening on New Year's.
我们觉得,好吧,去年已经结束了。
We feel, okay, last year is over.
我正在做这种章节切换。
I'm chapter breaking that.
那是过去的我,那时没保持身材,也没在工作中获得晋升,但今年会不一样。
That was the old me who didn't get in shape, who, you know, didn't make the promotion at work, but this year's gonna be different.
我们可以把过去的自己放在一边,继续前行,说:因为这次的章节切换,我会这次变得乐观和不同。
And we can set the old me aside and move on and say, I'm gonna be optimistic and different this time because of that chapter break.
我们的研究发现,这些章节切换实际上比我们感知到的要频繁得多。
And what we learned in our research is those chapter breaks arise actually a lot more frequently than maybe we would perceive.
就像我刚才提到的那些大的转折点,那些非常容易引起共鸣的重大生活变迁。
There's the big ones that I just talked about, those big life transitions that are really relatable.
但实际上,我们发现每个星期一都是一次小小的章节切换。
But, actually, we see little mini chapter breaks every Monday.
每个星期一?
Every Monday?
每个星期一都是一个新的开始。
Every Monday is a fresh start.
每一个新月份、每一个生日的庆祝、像春天开始、劳动节、阵亡将士纪念日这样的日期,具体取决于你的文化和习俗。
Every every new month, the celebration of every birthday, dates like the start of spring, Labor Day, Memorial Day, and it depends on, you know, what your culture and customs are.
但这些时刻划分了时间,赋予我们一种崭新开始的感觉,而且它们非常频繁。
But there are these moments that demarcate time and give us a sense of a new beginning, and they're incredibly frequent.
人们自然会倾向于这些感觉像全新开始的时刻,以促成改变。
People are naturally gravitating towards these moments that feel like fresh starts in order to make change.
从常识角度来看,我还能勉强理解,因为我想起自己的生日,感觉确实是个大事。
From a common sense standpoint, I can kinda try to make sense of it because I'm like, well, I remember my birthday, and it feels like a big thing.
三个月后就感觉有点泛泛而谈了。
Three months from now feels kinda generic.
但从你大脑实际发生的情况来看,为什么星期一、生日、开学第一天或纪念日会这样呢?
But in terms of what's actually going on in your brain, why does a Monday or a birthday or the first day of school or an anniversary?
为什么这些事情会创造出一种被称为‘全新开始效应’的心理现象?
Why do these things create this psychological thing called a fresh start effect?
是的。
Yeah.
嗯,有两件事
Well, there's two things
好的。
K.
正在发生。
That are happening.
其一,在这些时刻,我们往往会退后一步,从更宏观的角度思考自己的生活,因为它们是转折点。
One is at those moments, we tend to step back and think more big picture about our lives because they're breakpoints.
对吧?
Right?
比如开学伊始,想想每个孩子和成人在开学前会发生什么?
So the start of school just think, you know, what's happening before the start of school for every every kid and adult?
你就在开学前一晚躺在床上,思考即将到来的新开始。
You're, like, lying in bed the night before thinking about this new beginning that's coming.
会是什么样子呢?
What's it gonna be like?
空气中已经充满了各种变化。
There's all this change that's already in the air.
这是一个转折点。
There's a there's a shift point.
这让你开始思考你还想改变什么。
And that primes you to think about what else you wanna change.
你正在从宏观角度思考,而不是像学期第三周那样低头只顾着应付日子。
You're thinking big picture, not just head down doing it the way you are in the third week of school just trying to get through.
你真的在深入思考自己的目标。
You're really having those big picture thoughts about your goals.
所以,这是其中一部分。
So that's part of it.
但另一部分是,在这些时刻出现的一种真正心理上的差异。
But the other part is this true psychological distinction that arises at these moments.
我们真的感觉自己的身份有些不同了,因为我们翻开了新的一页,感觉自己即将成为——如果展望未来——一个全新的人。
We literally feel like our identity is a little different because we've turned the page on a new chapter, and we feel like we're going either we're going to be, if we're looking forward, a new person.
你会说,没错。
You're like, yeah.
过了30岁生日后,我就准备开始存钱了。
After my 30 birthday, I will be ready to start saving.
这是个很好的时机,因为那会是我人生的一个转折点。
That is a good moment because that that's gonna be a break point for me.
我将在30岁时变成一个不一样的自己。
I'm gonna I'm gonna be a different me in my 30 year.
我知道我能行。
I know I've got this.
对吧?
Right?
所以你可以把希望寄托在那个即将到来的转折点上,或者你正在感受的这个转折点上。
So you can pin your hopes to that transition point that feels like it's coming or to the transition point you're feeling.
对吧?
Right?
新年的第一天,你可以说那是过去的我。
The first day of the new year, you can say that was the old me.
这是全新的我。
This is the new me.
我们并不把时间看作一种线性的体验。
We don't think about time as one linear experience.
我们会把时间分段。
We bucket it.
我们会把这些时间段归类,比如说新年之前和新年之后。
We have these buckets that we put time into, and we say, you know, it's before New Year's and after New Year's.
那只是一本日历而已。
Those are it's just a calendar.
这些都是人为设定的。
It's all made up.
每一天都是在另一天之前或之后,但我们的感受并非如此。
Every day is one day before or one day after another day, but that's not how we experience the world.
新年这一天真的非常不同。
It's a really different day when it's a new year.
星期一这一天也与众不同。
It's a different day when it's a Monday.
月份更替时,这一天也不同。
It's a different day when the month changes.
当你获得晋升时,这一天也不同。
It's a different day when you get that promotion.
那一天感觉与其他日子不同且独特,让你感到焕然一新,仿佛有了新的开始,从过去不顺的事情中拉开距离,让你对现在能实现的目标充满乐观。
That day feels different and unique from other days, and it makes you feel different and new unique and like you have a new beginning and a fresh start and some distance from what didn't go well before that makes you optimistic about what you can achieve now.
有没有什么研究或策略能让你在新年期间获得额外的全新开始动力?
Is there any research or any, strategies that you have that give you an extra boost for the fresh start specifically around New Year's?
我认为,思考新年和全新开始时,最重要的是它只是帮你迈出第一步。
I think the most important thing about thinking about New Year's and thinking about fresh starts is that all it does is get you started.
全新开始只是给你一点额外的动力,让你说:是的。
A fresh start is just a little extra motivation to say, yes.
我想做这件事。
I want to do this.
是的。
Yes.
我准备好了。
I'm ready.
但它并不能带你到达终点。
But it doesn't get you to the finish line.
我认为这就是为什么新年决心总是备受诟病的原因。
And I think this is why New Year's resolutions get such a bad rap.
我在新年期间经常接受记者的采访,他们总是问:我们为什么要制定新年决心呢?
I do a lot of interviews around New Year's with reporters, and and, like, they always ask, well, why should we make New Year's resolutions?
我们是不是该放弃今年?
Should we just jettison this year?
因为我看到有人说,大约80%的新年决心都会失败。
Because I read that, you know, 80 of them fail.
我认为他们问这个问题完全有道理,但这恰恰忽略了重点。
And I think they're a 100% right to ask that question, but it sort of misses the point.
因为一个全新的开始只是提供开始的动力。
Because all a fresh start is is motivation to begin.
但如果你没有一套能帮助你成功的工具,光有动力是远远不够的。
But that doesn't get you anywhere if you don't have a bunch of tools at your disposal that are gonna help you succeed.
开始并不足够。
Beginning is not enough.
所以这就是我认为每个人都应该了解的关于全新开始的事情。
So that's the thing that I think everyone should know about fresh starts.
如果你想充分利用这个全新的开始,你就需要一个计划。
If you wanna make the most of that fresh start, you're gonna need a plan.
我们会讨论一些能帮助你更好地利用全新开始的工具。
And we're gonna talk about some of the tools that will help you make more of that fresh start.
但你不可能仅仅依靠一月或周一的动机就能完成大多数事情。
But you're not just gonna need motivation on the January or on Monday in order to get most things done.
你需要的远不止一个全新的开始。
You're gonna need a lot more than a fresh start.
你需要一个全新的开始来为你做好出发的准备,而现在你已经站在了起跑线上。
You're gonna need the fresh start to get you ready to go, and then now you're at the starting blocks.
那么,你打算怎么做才能到达终点呢?
And what are you gonna do to get to the finish line?
正在收听或在YouTube上观看的人,现在该如何创造一个全新的开始呢?
How can the person listening or watching on YouTube create a fresh start right now?
比如,我现在就在听。
Like, right now, I'm listening.
我想有一个全新的开始。
I want a fresh start.
米尔克曼教授,我该怎么做呢?
Professor Milkman, how do I do this?
嗯,先给
Well, give
告诉我。
it to me.
事实上,我们曾希望存在某种神奇的公式。
So the truth is we we hoped there was some, like, magic formula.
比如,转三圈,撕一张纸,就能凭空开启一个全新的开始。
You know, like, spin around three times and and shred a piece of paper, and you can make a fresh start out of thin air.
我告诉你们,这似乎是不可能的。
I will tell you, it does not seem possible.
我们试过一些方法,比如告诉人们今天是一年的第100天。
We've tried things like, oh, telling people it's the hundredth day of the year.
这是你开启全新开始的完美时机。
It's the perfect time for you to have a fresh start.
猜猜怎么样?
And guess what?
你知道吗?他们一脸茫然地看着我们,心想:你在说什么?
You know, they look at us with eyes glazed, and they're like, what are you talking about?
这必须真正地具有意义,这种效果才会有用。
It it has to actually feel meaningful for this particular effect to be useful.
我们真正需要做的是,找出对我们而言具有意义的全新开始时刻,并制定计划在那时着手改变。
What we really need to do is actually identify moments that are meaningful fresh starts to us and make plans to tackle change at that time.
在我看来,这似乎是最有用的方法。
That seems to me to be the most useful thing.
或者,如果我们试图帮助别人,我们可以指出一些全新的开始机会,让他们寄托希望。
Or if we're trying to help someone else, we can point out fresh start opportunities for them to peg their hopes to.
如果他们一直说:不。
If they keep saying, no.
我还没准备好做这件事。
I'm not ready to do that.
不。
No.
我不会做出这个改变。
I'm not gonna make that change.
展开剩余字幕(还有 480 条)
你可以指出,好吧。
You can point out, okay.
让我们做个承诺,这里有个建议。
Let's make a commitment, and here's a suggestion.
我看到这个时刻即将来临。
I see this moment coming up.
你知道,你下个月就要过生日了。
You know, you have a birthday coming up next month.
你即将获得一次重大晋升。
You have this big promotion.
我知道你即将搬进新公寓。
I know you're about to move into a new apartment.
这是做出改变的绝佳时机。
That's a really good time to make this change.
你将迎来一个新的开始。
You're gonna be at a new beginning.
这是做这件事的完美时机。
It's a perfect moment to do it.
你的日历上有哪些值得突出的新开始,能给你带来全新开始的感觉?
What are going to be the fresh starts that stand out on your calendar and then give you that sense of a new beginning?
个性化地找到适合你的那些时刻,以便你能积极拥抱并接受这种动力。
Personalize it and find the right ones so that you can lean into them and and accept that motivation.
我很高兴你在这里。
I am so excited that you're here.
我也对我们的赞助商感到兴奋,所以我想稍作停顿,让他们为你分享几句话。
I also am excited about our sponsors, so I wanna take a quick pause so they can share a few words with you.
坦率地说,现在正是你与生活中正试图做出改变的人分享这段对话的绝佳时机。
And honestly, this is the perfect moment for you to share this conversation with someone in your life who has been trying to make a change.
某个陷入困境的人,某个尚未意识到有这七个隐藏障碍正在阻止他们、阻止你、也阻止我的人。
Somebody who's stuck, somebody who doesn't realize there are these seven hidden barriers that are stopping them and stopping you and stopping me.
我们都值得拥有这些基于证据的工具,以便获得我们想要的东西。
We all deserve these evidence based tools so we can get what we want.
别走开。
And don't go anywhere.
米尔克曼教授将在我们回来后继续揭示并消除这些改变的隐藏障碍。
Professor Milkman is gonna continue to reveal and then remove these hidden barriers to change when we return.
请继续和我在一起。
So stay with me.
欢迎回来。
Welcome back.
我是你们的朋友梅尔·罗宾斯。
It's your friend Mel Robbins.
今天,你和我将与米尔克曼教授一起上课,她是全球顶尖的行为科学家之一。
Today, you and I are in class with professor Katie Milkman, who's one of the top behavioral scientists in the world.
她同时也是沃顿商学院的教授,正在揭示阻碍我们获得想要事物的七大隐藏障碍。
She's also a professor at Wharton School of Business, and she is revealing the seven hidden barriers that are keeping us from getting what we want.
更重要的是,她正在帮助我们消除这些障碍,让我们在今年改变人生。
More importantly, she is removing them so we can change our life this year.
所以,Milkman教授,我们已经谈到了其中一个障碍。
So professor Milkman, we've talked about one of the barriers.
让我们继续下一个。
Let's move on to the next one.
冲动性。
Impulsivity.
这是我最喜欢的一个。
This is one of my favorites.
我认为这是我自身最困扰的问题。
I think this is the one I struggle with the most.
你一定听过‘凡不能杀死你的,都会让你更强大’。
You've heard if it doesn't kill you, it makes you stronger.
流行文化中有很多说法,认为这是你自己的问题,只需坚持过去就行。
There's a lot in the popular culture suggesting it's your problem and and just work through it.
研究表明,应对冲动性的有效方法是改变你所需做的事情的本质,使其能立即带来满足感。
What research shows is helpful for dealing with impulsivity is just changing the nature of whatever it is you need to do so that it is instantly gratifying.
你能给我举个例子吗?
So Can you give me an example?
可以。
Yes.
嗯。
Yeah.
想象一下你想健身。
So imagine you wanna get in shape.
好。
K.
你可以选择两条路径。
And there are two paths that you could take.
一条路是去健身房,找一种在三十分钟内最高效的运动来燃烧卡路里、让身体更健康。
One path would be go to the gym and look for the most efficient exercise you can do in thirty minutes to burn calories and make your body fitter.
也许是那种极其严苛的登山机。
Maybe it's like the maximally punishing StairMaster.
就是这个。
That's the one.
好的。
Okay.
不过,你还可以考虑另一种策略。
There's another strategy you could think about, though.
当你去健身房时,与其追求效率,不如想想:我在那里最享受什么活动,能让我动起来?
Instead of going for efficiency when you go to the gym, you could think, what am I gonna enjoy most while I'm here that's gonna move my body?
也许你会和朋友一起报名上尊巴课。
And maybe you sign up for a Zumba class with a friend.
我要指出的是,如果你去上尊巴课,可能每消耗一卡路里或达成一个目标的效率略低,但你很喜欢它。
And I wanna note, okay, it's a little less efficient if you go to the Zumba class probably per calorie, per goal you're trying to accomplish, but you like it.
研究表明,我们大多数人认为正确的做法是选择高效的那个路径。
And what research shows is that most of us think the right thing to do is that effective efficient path.
我会去爬楼梯机,但我们错了。
I'm gonna get on the stair master, but we're wrong.
康奈尔大学的凯特琳·伍利和芝加哥大学的艾莱特·菲什博克做了非常出色的研究,证明这是一种错误。
There's really wonderful work by Cornell's Caitlin Woolley and University of Chicago's Islet Fishbox showing that that is a mistake.
当我们转而引导人们以他们享受的方式追求目标时,比如去上尊巴课而不是使用最严苛的登山机,他们突然就开始享受自己的运动,并且坚持得更久,而这正是我们几乎所有目标的核心所在。
When we instead nudge people to pursue their goals in a way they enjoy, like going to the Zumba class instead of getting on the maximally punishing StairMaster, suddenly, they actually start enjoying what they're doing, and they persist longer, which is what almost all of our goals are about.
你不可能在一次锻炼中就塑形成功。
You're not going to get in shape in one workout.
你需要不断回到健身房。
You need to keep coming back to the gym.
你需要持续地做下去。
You need to keep doing it.
因此,找到一种让你长期坚持做想做的事的方式,从而实现你的目标。
And so find a way to make it fun to do the thing that you wanna do in the long term to achieve your goals.
我喜欢称之为玛丽·波平斯效应。
I like to call it the Mary Poppins effect.
玛丽·波平斯说,一勺糖能让药更容易咽下去。
Mary Poppins says a spoonful of sugar makes the medicine go down.
有史以来最棒的保姆。
Greatest nanny of all time.
她这么说不仅对小孩适用,对成年人也一样。
And she's right about that not just for kids, but for adults.
我们需要寻找方法,让那些长期有益的事情在短期内也能带来回报。
We need to be looking for ways to make things that are good for us in the long run, rewarding in the short run.
因为我们有即时偏好,并不意味着无法实现长期目标。
Because we're present biased doesn't mean we can't achieve our long term goals.
我们只需要改变追求目标的方式,让它们在短期内也能带来回报。
We just have to change the way we're pursuing them so they're rewarding in the
在短期内。
short run.
研究表明,如果你能让事情变得有趣且容易,你自身的冲动倾向反而会专注于有趣和容易的事情,而不是因为太难而逃避。
The research shows that if you can make it fun and easy, your own impulsive nature will actually stay focused on the thing that's fun and easy versus avoiding it because you made it too hard.
这是不是一种解释方式?
Is that is that a way to unpack that?
这太美了。
It's beautiful.
听起来显而易见,但几乎所有人对思考方式都持有错误的模型,这简直疯狂,但事实上几乎所有人都有错误的模型。
It sounds so obvious that it's it almost seems crazy that all of us have the wrong mental model, but but almost all of us have the wrong mental model of thinking, no.
不。
No.
不。
No.
不。
No.
如果我做不到困难的事,那就是我有问题。
There's something wrong with me if I can't do hard things.
我只能硬撑过去。
I just have to push through.
但其实,并不是这样。
But actually, no.
你只需要找到一种方法来转化这些困难的事情,顺便说一下,这并不总是可行的,但常常是可能的,而我们的本能并不是尝试改变追求这些目标的方式,使其更具即时满足感。
You just have to find a way to transform the hard thing, which PS, it's not always possible, but it's often possible, and it's not our instinct to try to change the way we pursue these goals so that they are more instantly gratifying.
一旦你教会人们,这才是取得更大成功和更多成就的真正方法,许多美好的事情就会随之发生。
And once you teach people that this is actually the way to be more successful and achieve more, a lot of really good things happen.
现在还有其他与冲动性相关的话题你想聊聊吗?
Are there other ones you wanna talk about right now that are related to impulsivity?
因为,如果你无法找到办法让填写助学金申请变得有趣,而你一直回避,你知道我在说什么吧?
Because, like, if you can't figure out how to make filling out the application for financial aid fun and you keep avoid you know what I'm saying?
因为你被手机分散了注意力,或者被其他事情分散了注意力,你因为存在现时偏见而变得冲动,只想去做那些现在就让人开心的事。
Because you're distracted by your phone or you're distracted by this or you're impulsive because you have this present bias and you wanna move toward a thing that's fun now.
是的。
Yeah.
我最喜欢的一个策略是我自己在生活中使用并持续沿用的方法,后来我还把它变成了一个科学实验。
One of my favorites is a strategy I used in my own life and and continue to use that I then turned into a science experiment.
它始于我们在这里波士顿的时候。
It it started we're here in Boston.
我当时是这里的研究生。
I was a graduate student here.
作为一名一年级研究生,我知道自己需要活动身体。
And as a first year graduate student, I knew I needed to move my body.
我曾经是大学运动员,锻炼对我的心理健康非常重要。
I was a college athlete, and exercise is very important to my mental health.
这对我们的心理健康都很重要,说实话。
It's important to all of our mental health, let's be honest.
但对我来说,作为一名压力巨大的一年级研究生,这一点尤为关键。
But for me, it was, like, particularly critical as a stressed out first year graduate student.
但在上完一整天的课,面前还堆着习题集的情况下,我很难激励自己走出门去面对波士顿的寒冬。
But at the end of a long day of classes with problem sets waiting ahead of me, I found it really hard to motivate myself to go out into the Boston winter.
哦,下午4点的工作休息。
Oh, rest job at 04:00 in
下午。
the afternoon.
没错。
Exactly.
然后去健身房锻炼一下。
And and, like, get to the gym and work out.
所以我真正想做的就是蜷缩在舒适的沙发上。
So what I really wanted to do was just curl up on my cozy couch.
我真的很喜欢阅读。
And I I, like, I was really I I love reading.
对很多人来说,他们会想,比如追剧。
For a lot of people, they'll think, you know, binge watch TV.
我也很喜欢。
I love that too.
那时候我特别迷《哈利·波特》系列小说。
I was really into the Harry Potter novels at that time.
那时它们还算是新书。
They were fairly new.
你知道,我只是想沉浸在小说里,去另一个世界。
You know, I just wanted to sink into fiction and go to another place.
嗯。
Mhmm.
我意识到,如果我能把这两件事结合起来,就会有一个神奇的解决方案在等着我。
And what I realized was that if I could actually combine those two things, there was a magical solution awaiting me.
所以,我给自己定了一条规则。
So, specifically, I set a rule for myself.
除非我去健身房锻炼,否则我不能看《哈利·波特》。
I don't get to enjoy Harry Potter unless I'm at the gym exercising.
事实上,我开始听有声书,这对当时作为研究生、迫切需要运动和动力的我来说,简直是改变人生。
In fact, I started listening to audiobooks, and what happened was sort of life altering for me as a graduate student who really needed to move and have that motivation.
我不再在漫长的一天结束后回家浪费时间,我只想穿上运动服,去了解哈利·波特和伏地魔接下来会发生什么。
Instead of coming home at the end of a long day and wasting time, all I wanted to do was get my workout clothes on and go find out what happened next to Harry Potter and Voldemort.
对吧?
Right?
所以我赶紧去健身房,一边锻炼一边听。
So I hustled over to the gym, and then I'm listening while I'm exercising.
另一个神奇的地方是,这些是互补关系。
The other magical thing is these are complementarities.
这是经济学家用来描述两种事物结合在一起比单独存在更好的术语。
So this is the word economists use to describe two things that are better together than apart.
就像花生酱和果酱。
Like peanut butter and jelly.
它们是互补品。
They're complements.
锻炼和娱乐也是如此,因为你需要分散注意力,以减轻锻炼时的痛苦。
And that's how exercise and entertainment are because you need to be distracted from the pain of that workout.
于是,我甚至没注意到自己在出汗,也没觉得有多难,因为我完全沉浸在所听的内容里。
And so suddenly, I didn't even notice that I was sweating and that it was hard because I was so engaged and engrossed in what I was listening to.
所以我在健身房的时候,时间过得飞快。
So time flies while I'm at the gym.
那天我享受娱乐时,一点负罪感都没有。
I have no guilt associated with indulging in my entertainment that day.
我回到家,完全准备好专心工作了。
I go back to my house, and I'm totally ready to focus on my work.
这简直像魔法一样。
And it was like magic.
于是我决定,嘿。
And so I actually decided, hey.
这对其他人也可能有用,因为这对我而言太棒了。
This could be useful to other people because this is amazing for me.
这真的改变了我的一切。
This is really changing everything.
比如,我的成绩开始变好了。
Like, started getting better grades.
我感觉非常好。
I was feeling great.
一切都感觉如此不同。
Everything felt so different.
于是我对此工具进行了研究,我称之为诱惑捆绑。
So I did research on this tool, which I call temptation bundling
嗯。
K.
就是找一项对你长期目标很重要的琐事,但做起来却觉得是负担。
Which is find some chore that is important to your long run goals, but it feels like a chore when you're doing it.
再找一件你特别喜欢的诱人事物,只允许自己在做琐事时享受这种诱惑。
And find something tempting that you love, and only let yourself enjoy that temptation while you're doing the chore.
我们最初的研究实验是将运动和有声读物结合起来。
So we did our first research experiment on it with exercise and audiobooks, actually.
我们随机分配一些人,让他们只有在健身房锻炼时才能听诱人的有声读物,而另一些人则获得等值的礼品券,可以用来购买有声读物或其他娱乐内容。
We randomly assigned some people to only have access to tempting audiobooks while they were working out at the gym, and other people got an equally valued gift certificate so they could have gone and bought audiobooks or other entertainment.
我们没有向他们透露这个提示,结果发现这使人们的锻炼量增加了56%。哇。
We didn't give them that hint, and we found it helped people exercise 56% more Wow.
如果他们已经开始听有声书,就必须回来去健身房才能知道接下来发生了什么。事实上,我们做过一项研究,仅仅向人们提出这种建议,就能带来持久的锻炼增加。
To have to come back and go to the gym after they'd started listening to an audiobook if they wanted to find out what happened In fact, we did one study where just suggesting this to people led to durable increases in exercise.
我们建议他们这样做。
We suggest they do this.
我们给他们一本免费的有声书,结果几个月后仍能看到持久的益处。
We give them a free audiobook, and we see durable benefits for months later.
所以,这是一组研究。
So that's one set of research.
当我们全家吃晚饭时,我会放音乐。
When we have a family dinner, I put on music.
我喜欢这个做法。
I love that.
到了收拾的时候。
When it's time to clean up.
是的。
Yeah.
因为不是去跳舞和享受乐趣。
Because not out dancing and having fun.
玛丽·波平斯。
Mary Poppins.
玛丽·波平斯。
Mary Poppins.
对吧?
Right?
你还记得吗,也许我太
Do you remember there's maybe I'm too
沉迷于《玛丽·波平斯》了。
into Mary Poppins.
对吧?
Right?
是的。
Yes.
但你知道,他们一边做家务一边唱歌跳舞。
But there's this there's, like you know, they they sing and they dance while they're doing all the chores.
那就是《欢乐满人间》的场景。
That's that's a Mary Poppins scene.
所以这就带有一种乐趣的元素。
So that'd an element of fun.
其他例子,是的。
Other examples Yes.
你在阅读你的作品、学生或研究中,有没有见过真正让听众产生共鸣的例子?
That you've seen in readers of your work or students or the research that, like, really spark something for the person listening?
或者
Or
我喜欢,比如把最喜欢的播客,可能是梅尔·罗宾斯的播客,留到做家务时听。
I like, you know, saving your favorite podcast, probably the Mel Robbins podcast, for when you're doing household chores.
对吧?
Right?
所以现在,打扫浴室或叠衣服不再让人觉得痛苦了。
So now instead of feeling like it's kinda miserable to clean the bathroom or to fold the laundry.
你会期待某件事,让这段时光飞快度过。
Like, there's something you're looking forward to that's gonna make that time fly.
你可以用很多不同的方式来做这件事,这就像‘全新开始’一样,关键在于个人偏好——你需要找到适合自己的方式,找出你的诱惑,那种你渴望但想稍微限制接触的东西,然后把它和你认为重要但可能觉得是苦差事的事情结合起来。
So there's a lot of different ways you can do this, and it's really it's it's another one just like fresh starts where there is a personal taste element to figuring out what's the right one for you, what's your temptation, something you crave that you wanna maybe limit a little bit your access to that you could combine with something that's important to you but might feel like a chore if you didn't have this temptation in the equation.
我喜欢这个说法。
I love that.
你指出的一个我们内心阻碍改变的障碍是拖延。
One of the barriers that you've identified that we have internally to changing is procrastination.
我们该如何克服它呢?
What can we do to overcome that?
这确实很难,但
That's a really hard one, but
这其实和我们之前讨论的冲动性密切相关。
it's really related to what we've been talking about with impulsivity.
拖延对我们所有人来说都是个问题,因为我们希望现在就能感觉良好,所以更愿意把困难的事情推迟到以后。
So procrastination is a a problem for all of us because we want things to feel good right now, and so we'd rather delay until later the thing that is hard.
一个解决方法是把这看作一个有两面性的等式。
One solution is think about this as having two sides, this equation.
也就是说,我可以让做困难的事变得更愉快,或者让不做这件事的代价更大。
Like, I can either make it more enjoyable to do the hard thing, or I can make the penalty of not doing the hard thing greater.
可以把这想象成胡萝卜和大棒。
Think of it carrots and sticks.
好的。
Okay.
到目前为止,我们一直关注的是胡萝卜。
So we've been focused on carrots.
比如,
Like,
让我们换个方式,让事情变得简单些。
let's change Make it easy.
让我们把它和我们喜欢做的事情捆绑在一起。
Let's bundle it with stuff that we like to do.
就像胡萝卜方案。
Like carrot solution.
好的。
Okay.
拖延通常在使用惩罚手段时效果不错。
Procrastination often works pretty well with the stick solution.
我们习惯于让别人用惩罚来督促我们。
We're used to other people helping us with sticks.
让我给你举几个例子。
Let me give you some examples.
你的老板给你设定截止日期,能帮助你完成工作,而不是让报告拖上几个月。
Your boss who gives you a deadline helps you get that work done as opposed to letting the report take months and months.
这是良好的管理方式。
That is good management.
有人说过,不行。
Someone has said, nope.
必须到期。
It has to be due.
我需要在这个日期前拿到。
I need it by this date.
你必须完成它。
You've gotta finish it.
如果做不到,你知道你的绩效考核会有后果。
And if not, you know there's consequences for your performance review.
另一个别人用‘鞭子’帮我们约束自己的例子是,你开车上班时可能想超速。
Another example of someone else helping us and constraining us with a stick would be something like maybe you're tempted to speed on your way to work.
你知道,这会立刻带来满足感。
You know, that would be instantly gratifying.
但你知道, somewhere 有个警察拿着测速摄像头。
But you know that there is a a police officer out there somewhere with a speed camera.
对。
Right.
如果你被抓到,就会收到罚单。
And if you get caught, you're gonna get a ticket.
是的。
Yes.
所以这是有后果的。
So there's a consequence.
这就像是一个鞭子。
There's a stick
明白了。
Got it.
如果你超速的话。
If you speed.
所以这些是来自其他实体的后果,比如你的老板,
So those are consequences that the that other, you know, entities, like your your boss,
无论是你的伴侣、家人还是其他人。
whatever your partner or your family or somebody.
妈妈会生气的。
Mom's gonna be mad.
如果我不这么做,我的伴侣会不高兴的。
My partner's gonna be upset if I don't do this.
好的。
Okay.
明白了。
So got it.
好的。
Okay.
所以我们习惯了这些其他的后果。
So we're used to those other consequences.
是的。
Yes.
我们也可以对自己做同样的事情,这听起来很奇怪,但我们可以给自己施加惩罚。
We can do the same thing to ourselves, which sounds weird, but we can impose sticks on ourselves.
大量研究表明,这种方法非常有效。
And there's a whole lot of research showing this is helpful.
让我给你一个非常具体的例子。
So let me give you an a very concrete example.
好的。
Okay.
这可能是个有点奇怪的开始,但我认为这是最有力的一种。
You can this is a weird one to start with, but I think the most powerful one.
你可以实实在在地押上一笔钱,承诺如果在某个截止日期前未能达成目标,你就愿意 forfeit( forfeit 意为放弃)这笔钱,并且你可以选择一个裁判来监督你,一旦你未能实现目标,你就得为此付出代价。
You can literally put money on the line that you agree you will forfeit if you fail to achieve a goal by a certain date, and you can choose a referee who will hold you accountable, and you are finding yourself for failure on that goal.
比如说,你真的很想每周冥想三次。
Say, you really wanna meditate three times a week.
这对你来说很重要,但你担心自己会因为其他事情而拖延,迟迟不去做。
It's important to you, but you're worried there's so many other things you're gonna procrastinate on actually doing.
但你有一个伴侣,如果你的目标是早上冥想,他会知道你有没有冥想。
But you have a partner who would know if you meditated because your goal is to do it in the morning.
所以你说,好吧。
So you say, okay.
我要这么做,如果我这周没有冥想三次,我就罚自己10美元。
I'm gonna do this, and I'm gonna find myself $10 if I don't meditate three times this week.
我要你来监督我。
And I want you to hold me accountable.
你请你的伴侣做你的裁判。
You ask your partner to be your referee.
有一些网站,当然也可以非正式地这样做,比如Beeminder和Stick,我与它们没有任何关联,它们允许你押上金钱、选择裁判,并在你未能实现目标时对你进行罚款。
There are websites, and of course, can just do this informally too, like Beeminder and Stick, which I have no affiliation with, that will let you put money on the line, choose a referee, and then fine yourself if you fail to achieve that goal.
结果发现,这是一种极其有效的方式,真的吗?
And it turns out this is an extremely effective way Really?
来推动改变。
To compel change.
我最喜欢的一项关于此的研究是针对最难改变的行为之一——吸烟。
One of my favorite studies on this is with one of the toughest things to change, which is smoking.
有一项令人惊叹的研究。
There's this amazing study.
西北大学的迪恩·卡林是这项研究的主要负责人之一,他们招募了一批吸烟者参加戒烟项目。
Dean Carlin of Northwestern University was one of the leads on this project where they got a bunch of smokers to sign up for a smoking cessation program.
他们将参与者随机分配到不同的组别。
They randomly assigned them to different groups.
其中一些人获得标准的戒烟辅助工具。
Some of them get standard smoking cessation tools.
我们会指导你,告诉你为什么这如此重要,并提供所有常规支持。
We're gonna, you know, coach you and and explain why this is so important and give you all the usual.
另一组人也获得这些支持,同时还拥有一个银行账户,他们可以在未来六个月里往里面存钱,但如果他们在尼古丁或可替宁(吸烟的标志物)的尿检中不合格,这笔钱就会被扣除。
The other group gets that too and access to a bank account they can put money in for the next six months that they know will be taken away from them if they fail a urine test for nicotine or cotinine, which are signals that you're still smoking.
六个月后,如果你未能通过检测,账户里的所有钱都会被没收;但顺便说一句,你根本不需要往这个账户里存任何钱。
So six months down the line, you lose all the money in that bank account, and you don't have to put any money in that bank account, by the way.
对吧?
Right?
你是在为自己设立一种罚款。
You're choosing to build up a fine for yourself.
如果被随机分配拥有该账户,人们吸烟的比率降低了30%。
It reduced the rate at which people were smoking by 30% if they were randomly assigned to have access to that account.
我不是在说使用它。
I'm not talking about using it.
很多人根本没用它。
Plenty of people didn't use it.
仅仅拥有一个能约束自己的机制,就能显著减少吸烟。
Just having a way to find yourself reduced smoking dramatically.
你可以为自己设定未能实现目标的惩罚,这是一种非常有力的达成目标的方式。
You can find yourself for failure to accomplish your goals, and that's a really powerful way to achieve more.
现在,同样的原则可以用更温和的方式来应用。
Now the same principle can be applied with less extreme measures.
所以它并不一定要是金钱上的罚款。
So it doesn't literally have to be a monetary fine.
你可以想想其他方法,为自己设定一些如果不达成目标就会产生的不愉快后果。
You can think of other ways to create some consequence that's undesirable if you don't succeed at your goal.
对吧?
Right?
你可以告诉一个对你很重要的人,你正在努力做这件事,并请他们询问你是否完成了,让你向他们证明。
It can be you just tell somebody who means a lot to you that you're trying to do this thing and to ask you if you've accomplished it and make you prove it to them.
如果你没有达成目标,面对你尊敬的人时,你会感到些许羞愧和失望。
And then you'll have a little shame and disappointment in the face of someone who you respect if you haven't achieved it.
这是一种温和的承诺机制。
That's a soft commitment device.
这是同样的理念。
It's the same idea.
它仍然会带来一些刺痛感。
It's still creating some sting.
另一种承诺机制是简单地增加你不想做之事的难度。
Another form of commitment device is simply to make it harder to do the thing that you don't wanna do.
这就像是施加一种惩罚,比如把所有垃圾食品都从家里清空,来让你难以吃它们。
So it's sort of like a penalty to make it hard to, for instance, eat junk food by taking it all out of your house.
现在,获取垃圾食品的成本,可以说是更高了。
Now it, quote, unquote, costs more to get junk food.
这并不是字面意义上的成本,但以前我只需走到 pantry(食品储藏室)就能轻易拿到,现在却必须强迫自己步行很远去杂货店,或者开车去别处才能买到垃圾食品。
It doesn't literally, but instead of being able to go to my pantry, which is very, very easy, I now have find myself by forcing myself to walk all the way to the grocery store or get in the car and drive somewhere to get the junk food.
这也是一种承诺机制。
So that is a form of commitment device as well.
当你制造摩擦,让事情变得更难做时,这就是应对拖延和冲动的另一种方式。
When you create a friction, you make it harder to do the thing, and that's another way you can tackle procrastination and also impulsivity.
实际上,它们彼此交融,因为它们源于相同的底层心理机制。
Really, there's they they blend together because they come from the same underlying psychology.
我们来谈谈健忘的问题。
Let's talk about forgetfulness.
这真是我生活的噩梦。
This is the bane of my existence.
我承认,我可能曾经用这个当借口或拐杖。
I will own that I probably have used this as an excuse or a crutch.
但我的生活中有太多事情,我本想、也本打算把它们当作优先事项,或者我说我要做,结果却完全忘了。
But there are so many things in my life that I want to and I mean to make a priority or I say I'm going to, and then I just forget.
我们总是很有信心认为自己会记得这些事,因为当我们想到它们时,它们在当下显得很重要。
We have a lot of confidence that we will remember things because they feel important to us in the moment when we're thinking about them.
对吧?
Right?
你晚上躺在床上,心想:哦,我明天 definitely 要做那件事。
You're lying in bed at night, and you're like, oh, I definitely need to do that tomorrow.
这太重要了。
And it's so important.
我当然会记得。
Of course, I'll remember.
但经济学家称之为共情缺口。
But economists call this an empathy gap.
我们不了解明天的自己会是什么样子。
We don't understand who will be tomorrow.
我们不知道那时会是什么感觉。
We don't know what it'll be like.
我们以为,既然现在这件事萦绕心头、刻不容缓,它就永远会是首要任务。
We think, yeah, this will always be top of mind because it's top of mind and burning right now.
但当你醒来时。
But then you wake up.
你知道,你喝着咖啡。
You know, you have your coffee.
你进入了日常的节奏。
You get into the swing of your day.
即使它曾经非常重要,也已经消失了。
And even though it was really important, it's gone.
对吧?
Right?
而且,19世纪还有一项关于记忆衰退的有趣研究。
And and there's this really interesting research from the eighteen hundreds on memory decay.
你知道,几个小时内,你试图记忆的内容就有70%会消失。
You know, within hours, 70% of something you try to memorize is gone.
我们的信息遗忘速度惊人地快。
Like, we just lose information at a shockingly high rate.
那可是19世纪啊。
And that was the eighteen hundreds.
我的意思是,我只能想象,那时
I mean, I can only imagine There
那时甚至还没有社交媒体来分散我们的注意力。
was not even social media distracting us at that point.
米尔克曼教授,我喜欢你所说的,你失败不是因为你不关心。
Well, professor Milkman, I love what you say that you don't fail because you don't care.
你失败是因为你忘记了。
You fail because you forget.
所以我们必须认识到,遗忘是一种障碍,而我们可以做出一些结构性的改变。
So we have to understand that forgetting is a barrier, and then there are structural changes we can make.
它们是什么?
What are they?
其中一个获得了不少关注的,尽管可能有点过时了,就是简单的清单。
So one that's actually gotten a fair amount of attention, though, it's it's maybe a little bit bygone, is simple checklists.
让我们想想外科医生做了什么,使他们更有效率。
Let's just think about what surgeons do that makes them more effective.
他们在手术室里使用清单,以确保不会忘记取出工具,否则这些工具可能会留在你的胸腔里。
They have checklists in operating rooms so they don't forget to, you know, extract the tool that otherwise would end up in your chest cavity.
对吧?
Right?
在那些极其重要的工作中,人们会创建清单和结构。
They're really, really important jobs where people create checklists and structures.
飞行员也有检查清单。
Pilots have checklists.
你的人生中也可以使用检查清单,而且你不应该为此感到羞愧。
You can have checklists in your life as well, and you shouldn't feel bad about it.
它们在提升我们的表现方面极其有效。
They're incredibly effective at improving our performance.
但即使比检查清单更简单一点的,也是制定具体而详细的计划。
But even a step less intense than a checklist is making really concrete and detailed plans.
研究表明,这主要是纽约大学的彼得·戈尔维策的工作成果:当人们制定具体的计划,明确何时、何地以及如何实现目标时,他们更有可能成功达成目标。
One thing that research has shown, and this is mostly work by Peter Golwitzer of NYU, is that people are much more successful at achieving a goal when they make a concrete plan about when they'll do it, where they'll do it, how they'll get there.
我倾向于称它们为基于情境的计划。
And I like to call them queue based plans.
需要有
There needs
基于情境的计划?
to be based plans?
是的。
Yes.
比如一个q。
Like a q.
字母q?
Letter q?
不是。
No.
就像你的舞台排队。
Like like your stage queue.
对吧?
Right?
哦。
Oh.
你得记住排队来念你的台词。
You've gotta remember the queue to say your lines.
好的。
Okay.
明白了。
Gotcha.
队列计划中,我们基于队列要写哪三件事?
Queue play what are the three things we're we're writing on our queue based plan?
所以,理想情况下,首先你需要
So, ideally, first of all, you would need
在你的队列计划中有一个队列。
a queue in your queue based plan.
所以这个队列可以是某个时间点。
So the queue could be at point in time.
比如,你什么时候要做这件事?
Like, when are you gonna do this thing?
但提示可以是别的东西。
But the cue could be something else.
也许你并不确切知道下次什么时候会经过药房去取你需要的药物,或者什么时候才能再次和你女儿通话,因为她只偶尔打一次电话。
Maybe you're not exactly sure when you're next going to pass by the pharmacy and be able to pick up the medication you need to grab or when you're going to have the next opportunity to talk to your daughter who only calls every so often.
所以,触发点可以是:当我女儿打电话来,或者当我经过药房时。
And so the cue can be if my daughter calls or if I walk by the pharmacy.
它不一定要在星期二下午三点整。
It doesn't have to be at 3PM on Tuesday.
因此,触发点是一种提醒,让你知道:这时候就该执行这个行为了。
So the cue is some trigger that you're going to need to remind you, this is when I enact the behavior.
明白了。
Gotcha.
那我什么时候做呢?
So when am I gonna do it?
要么是‘如果发生某事,我就做’,要么就是‘我在这天这时间做’。
It's either if this happens then or here's the time and the date I'm doing it.
没错。
Exactly.
那你打算什么时候做?
So when are you gonna do it?
你打算在哪里做?
Where are you gonna do it?
你打算怎么去?
How are you gonna get there?
非常简单。
Really simple.
把计划安排好。
Get those plans in order.
因为如果没有规划好,如果没有一个能触发的提示,比如,哦,现在是中午了。
Because if it's not planned out, if you don't actually have a cue that will trigger, oh, oh, it's noon.
我说过我会那时候做的。
I said I would do this then.
你就更不可能去执行了。
You're far less likely to follow through.
而我们存储记忆的方式就是通过这些提示。
And the way that we store memory is through these cues.
正是这些提示触发了我们的记忆。
That's what triggers our memory.
所以提示至关重要。
So cues are really critical.
它做的另一件事是,将一种模糊的意图转化为一种明确的承诺。
The other thing that it does is it it creates a commitment that's no longer a vague intention.
哦,没错。
Oh, yeah.
我计划这周某个时候去健身房。
I plan to go to the gym at some point this week.
我计划在某个时候冥想。
I plan to meditate at some point.
现在有了一个具体的时间点,如果你不在那个时间点付诸行动,就是辜负了自己。
Now there's a specific point in time, and you are letting yourself down if you don't follow through at that point in time.
你不能再对自己说,哦,等会儿。
You can no longer convince yourself, oh, later.
是的。
Yes.
等会儿我再做。
Later, I'll get to it.
所以,如果你一再推迟,这就会为你自己建立起一种责任感。
So it's it's creating that accountability for yourself if you push it off further.
这也很重要。
That's also important.
所以会有遗忘。
So there's forgetting.
还有一种责任成分。
There's an accountability component.
而且,当你制定这些计划时,它还能帮助你思考可能遇到的障碍。
And, also, it can help you think through obstacles when you make these plans.
所以我是个家长。
So I'm a parent.
如果我没安排好谁来照顾我九岁的孩子,我就不能去别的地方。
And if I haven't figured out who's gonna be taking care of my nine year old, I can't be at this other place.
对吧?
Right?
如果我没安排好谁来替我参加这个会议,我就不能去别的地方。
If I haven't figured out who's gonna take this meeting for me, I can't be at this other place.
所以,无论可能遇到什么障碍,这个规划过程都能帮助你确保它不会在最后一刻绊住你,让你能提前解决掉。
So so whatever it is that might be an obstacle, this planning process helps you ensure that it doesn't trip you up at the last minute before you can get it out of the way.
这是一个非常简单的工具,当你担心自己会忘记某些重要事项时,随时都可以用在自己的生活中。
And it's a really simple tool you can use in your own life anytime there's something you're worried you might forget that's important to follow through on.
显然,提醒也非常重要。
Obviously, reminders are incredibly important too.
比如,把它记到你的日历里。
Like, put it on your calendar.
给自己未来的自己发一封邮件,在那个时间点提醒你。
Send yourself, your future self, an email that's triggering that time.
但有时候,我们真的无法在正确的时刻拥有这些提醒元素。
So but sometimes, we literally can't have those elements there to remind us too at the right moment.
所以在这些情况下,像我女儿下次打电话时,就是我去做某事的提示,也同样重要。
And so in those cases, the cue like when my daughter next calls, that's when I will do x y z can be important as well.
你知道吗,我坐在这里一直想着,不仅理解这些简单且有科学依据的方法很有帮助——比如我什么时候做、在哪里做、怎么做——它还让我意识到,我经常只是希望事情能自然发生,任其靠运气,而不是制定计划并认真对待它真的会发生。
You know, I just kept sitting here thinking about how not only is it helpful to understand that there are these simple evidence based things you can do, when am I gonna do it, where am I gonna do it, how am I gonna do it, it made me realize how often I am hoping something is gonna happen and I'm leaving it to accident versus making a plan and being serious about it actually happening.
你明白我的意思吗?
You know what I mean?
比如,对我而言,有很多我想改变的事情,但它们总停留在‘也许某天我会去做,等我有空再说’,然后生活的其他事情就占满了时间。
Like, think that there's a lot for me where I have a lot of things that I would like to change, but it sort of lives in the maybe someday it'll be wonderful when I get around to it, and then everything else about life takes over.
而简单的事实是,如果我照镜子,诚实地面对自己,我从未制定过任何计划。
And the simple truth is if I look in the mirror and I'm being honest with myself, I never made a plan.
我甚至从未坐下来好好说:好吧,今年我想多见见朋友。
I never even sat down to say, okay, I wanna see friends more this year.
我什么时候做?
When am I gonna do it?
我在哪里做?
Where am I gonna do it?
我怎么做?
How am I gonna do it?
而不是仅仅把愿望抛向空中,指望它能奇迹般地实现。
Versus just sort of throwing the wish into the air and hoping that somehow it magically ends up happening.
我坐在这里想,梅尔,你真的把生活中一些最重要的事情交给了运气。
I'm just sitting here going, Mel, you just literally left you've left some of the most important things that you want in life to chance.
让其他人参与这个过程也会有帮助。
It can also help to have other people involved in this process.
我们有一项研究,每个人都会报名参加一个与朋友一起增加锻炼频率的项目,但我们随机将他们分配到两种情况:一种是无论朋友是否到场,只要自己去健身房就能获得报酬;另一种是只有自己和朋友都到场时才能获得报酬。
We have this study where everybody signs up for a program to help them exercise more regularly with a friend, but we randomly assign them to either be paid if they go to the gym, whether or not their friend shows up, or only if they and their friend both show up.
哦。
Oh.
所以你和我,是的。
So you and I Yes.
假设我们是朋友。
Say we're friends.
我们是健身伙伴。
We're gym buddies.
我们报名参加了这个项目。
We sign up for this program.
要么我们处于一种情况:无论我们是否一起健身,每个人去健身房都会得到一美元;要么我们处于另一种情况:梅尔,只有你和我一起出现时,我们才能赚到一美元。
Either we could be in the condition where we're each paid a dollar regardless of whether we show up together whenever we go to the gym, or we're in the condition where, Mel, you and I can only earn a dollar if we show up together.
哦。
Oh.
所以这难多了。
So that's much harder.
我们得协调并规划我们的锻炼,顺便说一下。
We have to, like, coordinate and plan our workout, by the way.
结果发现,如果我们处于第二个组,必须协调并一起出现,我们会多去35%。
And it turns out we're gonna go 35% more if we're in that second group where we have to coordinate and we have to show up together.
因为我不想让你失望。
Well, because I'm not gonna let you down.
那就是
That's
对。
right.
我整天都在让自己失望。
Let myself down all day long.
当你制定计划时,有时和别人一起制定会让计划更牢固,因为存在一种问责机制。
When you make a plan, sometimes you can make it stronger when it's with someone else, and there's an accountability element.
而这可能是让计划更有效的原因之一。
And that could be part of what makes the plan better.
顺便说一句,当你和朋友一起追求目标时,也会更有趣。
By the way, it also makes it more fun when you pursue your goals in tandem with a friend.
所以,如果你能的话,不妨再加一点行为科学的‘魔法调料’。
So I would just layer on a little bit of extra magic sauce from behavioral science if you can.
当你制定一个关于定期要做的事情的计划时,有没有办法在计划中加入一些社交元素?
When you're making a plan about something you wanna do regularly, is there also a way you can work something social into your plan?
这样你就能获得责任感、承诺感,还有一点乐趣。
So you have accountability and you have commitment and also a little bit of fun.
因为在那项特定的研究中,共同追求目标之所以更有效,是因为它更有趣,也因为有责任感,当然还有强制性的规划。
Because in that particular study, the tandem goal pursuit ended up being more effective both because it was more fun and because of the accountability, and of course, of the forced planning.
你知道,我需要短暂休息一下。
You know, I need to take a quick break.
我不是说我不喜欢我的赞助商,但我只是想继续深入探讨这些障碍,消除它们,了解这项非常酷的研究。
I don't want to I mean, I love my sponsors, but I just wanna keep digging into these barriers and removing them and learning about this super cool research.
休息一分钟。
Take a minute.
请慷慨支持一下。
Please be generous with this.
请帮助你生活中的人消除这些障碍。
Please help the people in your life remove these barriers.
请帮助他们从这项研究中受益,尤其是当他们让你抓狂的时候。
Please help them benefit from this research, especially if they're driving you crazy.
我的意思是,如果你无法改变他们,米尔克曼教授也许能做到,而他们甚至不需要知道你发送这个的原因正是为了这个。
I mean, if you can't change them, professor Milkman might be able to, and they don't even need to know that's why you sent this to them.
当你支持某人改变生活时,这是一份很好的礼物。
It's a great gift when you support somebody in changing their life.
好了。
Alrighty.
别走开。
Don't go anywhere.
我们回来后还有更多障碍需要消除,所以请继续关注我们。
We have still more barriers to remove when we return, so stay with us.
欢迎回来。
Welcome back.
我非常高兴你们在这里。
I am so excited that you're here.
感谢你们对创造更美好生活感兴趣。
Thank you for being interested in creating a better life for yourself.
米尔克曼教授是不是太棒了?
And isn't professor Milkman just awesome?
尽管我觉得被点名了,但你们可能也觉得被点名了,你知道的,冲动行为。
As much as I feel called out, you probably feel called out too, you know, impulsivity.
你好。
Hello.
我是梅尔·罗宾斯。
It's Mel Robbins.
我太喜欢这个了。
I love this.
我感到充满力量。
I feel empowered.
感谢你们的到来,也感谢Milkman教授。
Thank you for being here, and thank you, professor Milkman.
我觉得今年我会改变我的人生。
I feel like I'm gonna change my life this year.
现在我有了基于证据的工具。
And now I got the evidence based tools.
那我们继续吧。
So let's just jump back in.
我们来谈谈懒惰。
Let's talk about laziness.
这是阻碍你改变的七个内在障碍之一。
This is one of the seven internal barriers to you being able to change.
研究显示了什么?我们可以使用哪些基于证据的策略来克服阻碍我们改变的坏习惯?
What does the research show, and what are some evidence based strategies we can use to overcome bad habits that keep us from changing?
很好。
Great.
好的。
Okay.
所以我们想要最简单的解决方案。
So we want the easiest solution.
我们想要阻力最小的路径。
We want the path of least resistance.
所以第一条建议甚至不需要涉及习惯。
So the first piece of advice we don't even have to get to habits.
第一条建议,我们稍后会谈到习惯,就是让你生活中最容易做的事。
The first piece of advice, we're gonna get to habits in a moment, is just make the easiest thing in your life.
只要可能,就把自动发生的事情变成对你有益的事情。
Make the automatic thing that happens the thing that is good for you whenever you can.
所以,当你打开电脑屏幕时,你打开浏览器。
So, you know, when you open your computer screen, you open your browser.
它是带你去一个你可能不想沉迷的社交媒体网站,还是带你去了解一些有趣的东西?
Does it take you to a social media website that you may not want to get sucked into, or does it take you to learn about something interesting?
它会带你去最新的梅尔·罗宾斯播客吗?
Does it take you to the latest Mel Robbins podcast?
你希望它带你去哪里?
Where do you want it to take you?
主动思考你希望生活中默认设置成什么样子。
Think proactively about what you want the defaults in your life to be.
当你拿到工资时,是否有一部分会自动转入储蓄账户,让你无需任何操作就能实现储蓄?
When you get a paycheck, does a portion of it automatically get transferred over to a savings account so that you have to take no steps whatsoever and saving is happening.
你可以设置哪些默认选项,让偷懒的选择恰好是你喜欢的事情?
What are the defaults that you can set so that the lazy thing to do is something you like?
比如,保持零食柜里有健康食品。
That's, you know, keeping healthy snacks in the pantry.
比如,让健身器材就近摆放。
That's having a workout machine that's nearby.
顺便说一句,你离某个资源越远——无论是你想去锻炼的健身房,还是你想获取医疗服务的健康中心——你去那里做这件事的可能性就越低,因为存在阻力。
The further, by the way, you are from a resource, whether it's a a gym where you wanna go exercise or a health clinic where you wanna get health services, the less likely it is you're gonna show up and do that thing because there's friction.
现在,距离成了你的阻碍。
Now you have distance holding you up.
所以,想想如何在你和你想做的好事之间创造最小的阻力,同时增加做坏事的难度,让它们离你远一点。
So think about how do you create minimal friction between you and the good things you wanna do and maximize the friction, make it far away to do all the things that are bad.
这是利用懒惰的一种方式。
That's one way of taking advantage of laziness.
但懒惰的第二部分是习惯。
The second part of laziness, though, is habit.
K。
K.
习惯是我们依赖的自动行为,因为我们已经形成了习惯回路。
So habits are these automatic behaviors that we fall back on because we've built a habit loop.
如果人们熟悉查尔斯·杜希格的《习惯的力量》或詹姆斯·克利尔的《原子习惯》,这些书很好地普及了习惯回路这个概念。
And if, know, people may be familiar with The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg or Atomic Habits by James Clear, these are great books that I think have done a nice job popularizing this idea of a habit loop.
通常,习惯的形成是因为我们反复处于某种一致的情境中,比如早晨的厨房或晚上的浴室。
Generally, habits form because there's some consistent context we find ourselves in, like, the kitchen in the morning or our bathroom at night.
我们习惯于开启自动驾驶模式并采取行动,比如晚上在浴室刷牙,或者早上在厨房煮一壶咖啡,这些行为都会带来一致的回报。
And and we're used to going on autopilot and taking an action, like brushing my teeth in the bathroom at night or making a pot of coffee in the kitchen in the morning, and it gives a consistent reward.
咖啡让我清醒,这种感觉很好。
The coffee wakes me up, and it that feels good.
或者牙膏让我感到一阵清凉薄荷感,这种感觉也很舒服。
Or the toothpaste makes me feel a little tingly and minty, and that feels good.
所以你需要一个一致的环境,这就是你的提示。
So you need to have a consistent context, which is your cue.
你执行这个行为。
You engage in the behavior.
你获得奖励,然后重复。
You get a reward, and you repeat.
你反复多次进行这个循环。
And you repeat that cycle often enough.
它就会变成一种习惯。
It turns into a habit.
事实上,我们用机器学习做了一些研究,探讨了形成习惯需要多长时间,发现每个人的情况都不同。
And in fact, we did some research with machine learning where we looked like how long does it take for things to be habitual, and we found it's different for every person.
这取决于活动的复杂程度,但并不是。
Depends on how complex the activity is, but it's not.
对于像医院护工洗手这样简单的事情,大约需要几周;而对于像去健身房锻炼这样更复杂的事情,则需要几个月的时间。
It's like order of magnitude weeks for something simple like washing your hands if you're a hospital caregiver, order of magnitude months for something more complicated like exercising at a gym.
所以,如果你正在尝试培养一个好习惯,请对自己有耐心。
So be patient with yourself if you're trying to build a good habit.
但我们希望通过有意识地遵循这个习惯循环,尽可能多地把事情变成自动化的,这样我们就不再去思考它,而是直接开始行动。
But we want to put things on autopilot as much as possible by intentionally following that habit loop so that we actually stop thinking about it and just start doing it.
对吧?
Right?
早上泡咖啡和刷牙之所以神奇,就是因为它们太自动化了,你已经做了无数次。
That's the magic of making the coffee in the morning and brushing your teeth because it's so automatic, and you've done it so many times.
你根本不用去想它。
You're not thinking about it.
你几乎是无意识地在做这件事,而如果你正试图培养一个好习惯,这种无意识地发生其实是很好的。
You're literally doing it mindlessly, and that's actually very good if you're trying to build a good habit to have it happen mindlessly.
现在我们可以谈谈,你知道的,但你难道不想保持觉知,享受你所做的一切美好事物吗?
Now we can talk about, you know, but don't you wanna be mindful and enjoy all the good things you're doing?
但有时候,你只是希望美好的事情自然发生,这样你的思绪才能飘到其他话题上。
But sometimes, you just want the good things to happen so your mind can wander to other topics.
你并不一定需要全神贯注于生活中所有琐碎的细节,只要它们能帮你取得成功。
You don't really need to be present necessarily for all of the nitty gritty stuff in life that you wanna have happen to be successful.
首先,要识别出一个习惯循环,并有意识地寻找一个能触发你的场景,然后确定你将执行这一行为的地点,重复它,并找到一种使其具有回报感的方式。
So first of all, recognize a habit loop and try to be intentional about, can you find a context that's gonna trigger you and and then where you're gonna do this behavior, you're gonna repeat it and find a way to make it rewarding.
你重复得越多,这种行为就越可能变得自动,不再需要费力。
And the more you repeat, the more likely it is that this is gonna start to feel automatic and no longer effortful.
事实上,安吉拉·达克沃斯和布莱恩·加拉这两位学者做过一项非常出色的研究。
And in fact, there's this really neat research Angela Duckworth did with Brian Gala who two academics.
我们很多人认为,自律才是让人持续做出良好行为的原因。
A lot of us think that self control is what makes people repeatedly engage in good behaviors.
实际上,他们发现,我们以为很有自制力的人,其实只是养成了习惯,并且在遵循这些习惯。
And, actually, what they found is a lot of the people we thought were self controlled, they just built habits, and that's what they were following.
你知道吗?
You know?
你以为那个人很有自制力,是因为他吃得这么健康。
You thought that person was so self controlled because they eat so well.
不对。
Nope.
他们只是养成了习惯。
They just have a habit.
他们实际上并没有有意识地决定吃那份健康午餐,或者在下午锻炼,或者冥想,或者提前准备好计划来参加会议。
They actually aren't making a conscious decision to eat that healthy lunch or to exercise in the afternoon or to meditate or to, you know, come to a meeting prepared with a plan.
那是他们的习惯。
That's their habit.
因此,习惯是让成功人士看起来有自制力的重要原因。
And so habits are a big part of what makes successful people look self controlled.
他们要么是有意、要么是无意地——但主要是有意地——找到了一种让这种日常行为自动化的办法。
It's that they've deliberately or accidentally, but mostly deliberately figured out a way to make this routine automatic.
我们来谈谈改变的另一个内在障碍,那就是缺乏信心。
Let's talk about the other internal barrier to changing, which is a lack of confidence.
这种内在的心态,认为这件事对你来说不会成功,或者感到沮丧。
This sort of internal mindset that it's not gonna work for you or feeling discouraged.
是的。
Yeah.
这是一个非常重要的障碍。
This is a really important barrier.
顺便说一下,我想强调的是,对于那些试图做某些事情的人来说,如果社会一直在告诉他们‘这不适合你’,那么这尤其具有挑战性。
And by the way, I wanna emphasize that it can be it can be particularly challenging for people who are trying to do something where society has been telling them this isn't for you.
无论你属于哪个群体,社会很可能都曾说过‘像你这样的人不该做这件事’。
And there's you know, whatever group you belong to, there's probably something that society has said people like you shouldn't do this thing.
这会让信心成为一个特别巨大的障碍。
And and that can make confidence a particularly large barrier.
但即使全世界都在喊‘你能做到’,你可能仍然在某些方面缺乏真正能做到的信心。
But even if the whole world has been shouting, you can do it, there's probably still something where you're lacking the confidence that you really can.
因此,我们可以采取一些方法来应对这个问题。
And so there are a number of things we can do about this.
其中之一是尝试培养成长型思维,即认识到当你遇到挫折时,并不意味着你的能力是固定不变的。
One of them is trying to adopt a growth mindset, which is to recognize that when you have a setback, that doesn't mean you have a fixed ability.
这实际上是你能够学习和成长的契机,你可以变得更好、更强。
It's it's actually something you can learn and grow from, and you can get better and stronger.
当你审视自己,看到自己当前所处的位置以及想要实现的目标时,你要意识到自己仍在不断进步中。
That when you look at yourself and you look at where you are and you look at the the things that you're trying to achieve, you recognize you're a work in progress.
如果出现挫折,事情没有如你所愿,你犯了错误,你会想:我能从中学到什么?
And if some setback arises and it doesn't go well for you, right, you you have some misstep, You think, what can I learn from that?
这就是成长型思维。
That's a growth mindset.
你认识到自己总能变得更好。
You recognize you can always get better.
关于 Bayt 播客
Bayt 提供中文+原文双语音频和字幕,帮助你打破语言障碍,轻松听懂全球优质播客。