The Prof G Pod with Scott Galloway - 毫不留情 / 毫无恶意:洗耳恭听 封面

毫不留情 / 毫无恶意:洗耳恭听

No Mercy / No Malice: All Ears

本集简介

乔治·哈恩为您朗读 相关阅读:《全神贯注》 了解更多广告选择,请访问podcastchoices.com/adchoices

双语字幕

仅展示文本字幕,不包含中文音频;想边听边看,请使用 Bayt 播客 App。

Speaker 0

司法部还公正吗?

Is the justice department still just?

Speaker 0

归根结底,唐纳德·特朗普是首位在其总统任期内开始削弱司法部职能的人。

Ultimately, Donald Trump is the person who began the weakening of the justice department in his first presidency.

Speaker 0

我是普利特·巴拉拉。

I'm Preet Bharara.

Speaker 0

本周,调查记者卡罗尔·莱尼格和亚伦·戴维斯将与我共同探讨他们的新书《不公:政治与恐惧如何摧毁美国司法部》。

In this week, investigative reporters Carol Lenig and Aaron Davis join me to discuss their new book, Injustice, How Politics and Fear Vanquished America's Justice Department.

Speaker 0

本期节目现已上线。

The episode is out now.

Speaker 0

搜索并关注《与普利特同行》播客,各大平台均可收听。

Search and follow Stay Tuned with Preet wherever you get your podcasts.

Speaker 1

我是斯科特·加洛韦,这里是《毫不留情》。

I'm Scott Galloway, and this is No Mercy, No Malice.

Speaker 1

本周我们来聊聊音频领域——我们如何涉足其中、为何对其前景持乐观态度,以及我们预见的发展方向。

This week, let's talk about audio, how we got into it, why we're bullish on it, and where we see it heading.

Speaker 1

《洗耳恭听》,由乔治·哈恩朗读。

All Ears, as read by George Hahn.

Speaker 2

我以沟通谋生。

I've made my living communicating.

Speaker 2

职业生涯前二十年,我将自己的智慧租借给寻求品牌战略指导的财富500强CEO们。

The first twenty years of my career, I rented my brain to Fortune 500 CEOs looking for guidance on branding or strategy.

Speaker 2

就像热门电视剧是制作水准与叙事艺术的鸡尾酒,优秀的顾问能将数据洞察与故事叙述这对花生酱巧克力完美融合。

Just as a hit television show is a cocktail of production values and storytelling, a good consultant brings the peanut butter and chocolate of data driven insight and storytelling together.

Speaker 2

若无法以引人入胜的方式阐述,理念与数据便毫无价值。

The ideas and data are nothing unless you can articulate them in a compelling manner.

Speaker 2

我并不讨厌咨询工作。

I didn't hate consulting.

Speaker 2

但我并不热爱它。

But I didn't love it.

Speaker 2

这没什么问题。

And that's fine.

Speaker 2

‘做你热爱的事’就是胡扯。

Do what you love is bullshit.

Speaker 2

我从事这行只是因为我擅长。

I did it because I was good at it.

Speaker 2

我大部分时间都在出差路上,无法建立或维持长久的人际关系,这简直让人精疲力竭。

I spent most of my time on the road, unable to form or maintain enduring relationships, and it was fucking exhausting.

Speaker 2

没错,这份工作为我和家人提供了经济保障——这本该是我的目标,仅此而已。

Yes, it provided economic security for me and my family, which was, and should have been my goal, full stop.

Speaker 2

但我花了近二十年时间帮企业推销人们根本不需要的商品,这让我越来越感到毫无意义。

But I spent the better part of two decades helping companies sell people stuff they didn't need, and it felt increasingly meaningless.

Speaker 2

事实上,那种感觉就像从未发生过一样空洞。

Actually, it felt like nothing, like it didn't happen.

Speaker 2

五六年后,我满脑子只想卖掉那些我创办的、专门帮其他企业推销商品的公司。

Within five or six years, all I could think about was selling the firms I'd founded that helped other businesses sell stuff.

Speaker 2

通过出售Profit和L2公司获得的经济保障,让我有幸能投身新使命:在某件事上做到极致。

The sales of profit and L2 provided economic security and blessed me with a new task: to be great, really great, at something.

Speaker 2

于是我转向教育行业,2002年成为纽约大学教员。

So I turned to teaching, and in 2002, I joined the faculty of NYU.

Speaker 2

至今已有超过6000名学生上过我的课。

Since then, more than 6,000 students have taken my courses.

Speaker 2

这份工作带来巨大成就感,本质上我认为自己是名教师——优秀的教师,但还算不上伟大。

It's been hugely rewarding, and at the core, I consider myself a teacher, a very good teacher, but not a great one.

Speaker 2

尽管中学和大学英语课我只拿C,但大量实践提升了我的写作能力——最初作为咨询师代写信件和新闻稿,乐观估计每小时能值1200美元。

Despite clocking Cs in my high school and college English courses, sheer practice has improved my writing, First, as a consultant, ghostwriting letters and press releases worth, optimistically, dollars 1,200 an hour.

Speaker 2

自2017年起,我大约每18个月出版一本书,今年秋天也不例外。

Since 2017, I've published a book about every eighteen monthscoming this fall.

Speaker 2

书虽不错,但离真正的伟大还差得远。

Good books, but still, real greatness eludes me.

Speaker 2

电视?

TV?

Speaker 2

毫无疑问是我表现最差的媒介。

Hands down my worst medium.

Speaker 2

我就是电视界的'新冠十九号',感染并有时摧毁脆弱的电视网络。

I'm the COVID-nineteen of the idiot box, infecting and sometimes killing weak networks.

Speaker 2

Vice、彭博快讯、CNN,还有哪个电视台会下一个倒下?

Vice, Bloomberg Quicktake, and CNN plus What Network Goes Down Next?

Speaker 2

只要找我的脸就知道了。

Just look for my face.

Speaker 2

五年前我上了第一个播客节目,那也是我第一次听播客。

The first podcast I listened to, I was on five years ago.

Speaker 2

卡拉·斯威舍邀请我上Recode节目讨论我的书《四巨头》。

Kara Swisher invited me on Recode to discuss my book, The Four.

Speaker 2

几周后她打电话告诉我,那期节目成了该播客下载量最高的一集。

A few weeks later, she called me and said the episode was the podcast's most downloaded.

Speaker 2

她还说这个数据可能是统计错误,并问我是否愿意再上节目来验证/推翻她的假设。

She also said that stat was likely a reporting error, and asked if I'd come back on the show to validatenullify her thesis.

Speaker 2

上一句话完美概括了我们的关系。

The previous sentence sums up our relationship.

Speaker 2

于是我去了,下载量同样惊人。

So I did, and similar downloads.

Speaker 2

剩下的就是播客史了。

The rest is podcast history.

Speaker 2

我不是历史学家。

I am not a historian.

Speaker 2

我们现在每月下载量超过200万次,每期节目的听众数量都超过任何CNBC节目的观众数。

We now get more than 2,000,000 downloads each month, and every episode has more listeners than any CNBC show has viewers.

Speaker 2

我热爱播客。

I love podcasting.

Speaker 2

就像性爱一样,这是展现真实自我的机会。

Like sex, it's a chance to be who you really are.

Speaker 2

我们很快扩展到每周两期,我推出了《G教授播客》,更侧重市场分析,但也探讨软性话题,比如如何成为更好的男人。

We soon expanded to twice a week, I launched the Professor G Pod, which is more market focused but also delves into the softer stuff, like how to be a better man.

Speaker 2

于是,又一个承载我伟大抱负的媒介。

So, another medium in search of my greatness.

Speaker 2

再次,我感觉自己可能在这里成就伟大,但咨询、教学、写作和电视都曾给我这种感觉,我们拭目以待。

Again, I feel as if I could be great here, but I felt this way about consulting, teaching, writing, and TV, so we'll see.

Speaker 2

当我在公共场合时,能分辨出人们是通过哪个媒体渠道认识我的。

When I'm out in public, I can tell which media channel is the catalyst for someone approaching me.

Speaker 2

那种兄弟式的打招呼,比如'嘿,老兄!'

The bro approach, as in Yo, dog!

Speaker 2

来自我们视频的粉丝。

Is made by fans of our videos.

Speaker 2

想认真分析流媒体动态或社交媒体危害的人会阅读通讯或我的著作。

Someone who wants to engage in a sober, analytical discussion about the dynamics of streaming or the harms of social media reads the newsletter or my books.

Speaker 2

但那些像老朋友般接近我的人,都是播客听众。

But someone who approaches me as if we're good friends listens to the podcast.

Speaker 2

就像遇到一个彼此都很喜欢却未能深交的旧相识。

It's similar to running into an old acquaintance you really liked and who really liked you, but you never had the chance to become good friends.

Speaker 2

这种善意是显而易见的。

The goodwill is evident.

Speaker 2

现在这种情况每周都会发生好几次,真是美妙。

This now happens several times a week, and it's wonderful.

Speaker 2

音频是我们最古老的大众广播媒介,它定义了二十世纪上半叶的流行文化。

Audio is our oldest mass broadcast medium, and it defined popular culture in the first half of the twentieth century.

Speaker 2

到1938年,五分之四的美国家庭拥有收音机,近700家电台播放新闻、音乐、体育、游戏节目、戏剧、喜剧故事、综艺节目等。

By 1938, four out of every five US homes had a radio, and nearly 700 stations were broadcasting news, music, sports, game shows, drama, and comedy stories, variety hours, and more.

Speaker 2

二十世纪中叶电视让收音机退居二线,但得益于数字分发和移动收听,音频正在迎来第二个黄金时代。

TV put radio in the corner in the mid twentieth century, but audio is registering a second golden age thanks to digital distribution and mobile listening.

Speaker 2

当疫情导致通勤中断时,分析人士预测播客将遭受重创。

When the pandemic shut down driving commutes, analysts predicted podcasts would be a casualty.

Speaker 2

但事实恰恰相反。

But the opposite happened.

Speaker 2

在我们社会历史上最孤独的时期,人们渴望只有音频才能提供的陪伴。

During the loneliest era in our society's history, people craved the contact only audio can provide.

Speaker 2

播客成为美国所有媒体类别中增长最快的领域,2020至2021年间收入增长了72%。

Podcasting became the fastest growing sector of any US media category, with revenue increasing 72% between 2020 and 2021.

Speaker 2

播客对广告商的吸引力部分源于主播口播广告的兴起。

Podcasts are attractive to advertisers in part because of the rise of the host read.

Speaker 2

当播客主持人从节目内容转向朗读广告时,它巧妙地绕过了我们的心理防线——这种效果在其他媒介中需要世界级创意才能实现。

When the podcast host moves from the show's content to reading the ads, it hacks our filters in a way that would require world class creatives in another medium.

Speaker 2

此外,播客制作成本低廉。

Also, podcasting is affordable.

Speaker 2

音频、流媒体和移动技术的结合为创作者和消费者提供了低成本方案。

The collision of audio, streaming, and mobile offers low cost for creators and consumers.

Speaker 2

我可以在任何地方录制播客,嘉宾可以从任何地方接入,而你可以在任何地方收听。

I can record my podcast from anywhere, my guests can call in from anywhere, and you can listen to it anywhere.

Speaker 2

必须承认,播客广告收入的增长基数较小。

Admittedly, podcasting's ad revenue growth is off a small base.

Speaker 2

它的14亿美元与搜索业务产生的780亿美元相比,简直是九牛一毛。

Its $1,400,000,000 is a rounding error compared to the $78,000,000,000 generated by search.

Speaker 2

但该行业的广告收入并未反映出其文化重要性或增长潜力。

But the industry's ad revenue doesn't reflect its cultural importance or its growth potential.

Speaker 2

低准入门槛导致了超过400万档播客节目的蜂拥而至。

The low barriers to entry have resulted in a stampede of more than 4,000,000 podcasts.

Speaker 2

顺带一提,电视节目数量还不足100万档。

There are fewer than 1,000,000 television shows, by the way.

Speaker 2

41%的美国人表示上个月收听过播客。

41% of Americans report listening to a podcast in the past month.

Speaker 2

而且内容供给非常丰富。

And the offering is robust.

Speaker 2

NBA总决赛的爆红明星不是球员,而是一档球员播客。

The breakout star of the NBA Finals wasn't a player, but a player's podcast.

Speaker 2

收入最高的女性播客主(6000万美元)曾是杂志广告销售代表,她创办节目时甚至从未听过播客。

The highest paid female podcaster, dollars 60,000,000, is a former magazine ad sales rep who started her show also having never listened to a podcast.

Speaker 2

Spotify上排名第二十的热门播客是关于神经科学的。

And the twentieth most popular podcast on Spotify is about neuroscience.

Speaker 2

与其他媒介不同,播客覆盖整个政治光谱,为各类听众提供了归属。

Podcasting, unlike other mediums, covers the whole political spectrum, offering a home to all kinds of listeners.

Speaker 2

本·夏皮罗的播客位列前十,而社会主义团体Chapo Trap House通过Patreon每年能赚200万美元。

Ben Shapiro has a top 10 podcast, and the socialists of Chapo Trap House clear $2,000,000 per year on Patreon.

Speaker 2

播客也比任何视觉媒介都更方便。

Podcasting is also a more convenient medium than any visual format.

Speaker 2

它不需要我们全神贯注,因此我们每天有更多时间可以留给播客。

It doesn't require our full attention, so more of our day is available to podcasters.

Speaker 2

虽然它不像印刷品那样便于整理筛选,但比视频容易获取得多。

It's not as easy to organize or sift through as print, but it's far easier to access than video.

Speaker 2

我们或许正处于电视的黄金时代,但普通家庭每天要花超过七分钟在流媒体平台上决定看什么。

We may be in a golden age of television, but the average household spends more than seven minutes a day deciding what to watch on their streaming platforms.

Speaker 2

如果有人推荐一部电视剧,我们必须先查它在哪个平台,找到应用,找回密码,然后才能获得一小时不受打扰的屏幕时间。

If someone recommends a TV show, we must find out what platform it's on, locate the app, track down the password, and then have an uninterrupted hour of screen time.

Speaker 2

相比之下,播客只需点击几下就能收听。

In contrast, a podcast is always a few clicks away.

Speaker 2

易于发现的特点让新声音得以广泛传播。

Ease of discovery enables the proliferation of new voices.

Speaker 2

资本主义的本质使然,大公司一直试图将这个开放的播客模式变成高利润的封闭花园。

Capitalism being what it is, big players have been trying to turn the wide open podcasting model into a walled garden of unearned margin.

Speaker 2

但这些努力收效甚微。

But these efforts have borne little fruit.

Speaker 2

Luminary在2018年高调推出,但其唯一成就是烧光了1亿美元风投资金。

Luminary launched with fanfare in 2018, but its only accomplishment is burning through $100,000,000 in venture funding.

Speaker 2

Spotify有更多资金可烧,但迄今为止,这家已经整合了整个行业的公司,其投入产生的热度或价值远低于大多数人的预期。

Spotify has more money to burn, but so far, its bonfire has produced less heat, or value, than most would have expected from a company that already distilled and organized an entire medium.

Speaker 2

金·卡戴珊、梅根和哈里等众多名人及内容工作室的独家播客都是虚晃一枪。

Exclusive podcasts from Kim Kardashian, Meghan and Harry, and a slew of other celebrities and content houses have been head fakes.

Speaker 2

多亏Athletic Greens、LinkedIn Jobs、ZipRecruiter等广告商的支持,ProfG播客和Pivot位列最赚钱的1%播客之列。

Thanks to the good people at Athletic Greens, LinkedIn Jobs, ZipRecruiter, and other advertisers, the ProfG Pod and Pivot are among the 1% of podcasts making good money.

Speaker 2

我很享受这个过程。

And I enjoy it.

Speaker 2

书籍是我工作中最有成就感的媒介,但同时也是最费功夫的。

The most rewarding medium I work in is books, but they're also by far the most work.

Speaker 2

这个事实恰是人生的绝佳隐喻。

And that fact is a decent metaphor for life.

Speaker 2

电视娱乐性强且能满足虚荣心,但操作繁琐,越来越像空有热量的垃圾食品。

Television has been fun and ego boosting, but it's cumbersome and feels increasingly like empty calories.

Speaker 2

我们在CNN+上播出的每分钟视频,都需要其他十几个人两小时的工作量。

Every minute of video we put on the stream at CNN plus took two hours of work from a dozen other people.

Speaker 2

另外,我这张脸天生适合播客。

Also, I've got a face for podcasting.

Speaker 2

做播客并不容易,但投资回报率更高。

Pods aren't easy, but the ROI is greater.

Speaker 2

所以我决定全力投入。

So I'm leaning in.

Speaker 2

我们最近推出了这份新闻简报的音频版。

We recently launched this audio version of the newsletter.

Speaker 2

接下来我们将推出《ProfG市场》播客,专注于资本市场。

Next, we're launching ProfG Markets, a podcast focused on capital markets.

Speaker 2

初期计划每周更新一期,但播客固有的灵活性让我们能快速调整。

That will initially run once a week, but the inherent flexibility of podcasting allows us to evolve quickly.

Speaker 2

如果听众数量达到预期,我们计划增加更新频率。

If the listenership is there, the plan is to increase the frequency.

Speaker 2

归根结底,我认为我们的竞争对手不是其他播客,而是CNBC。

Ultimately, I see our competition not as other podcasts, but CNBC.

Speaker 2

任何时候都有约15万观众在收看CNBC,据称这是电视观众中最富有的群体。

Around 150,000 viewers are tuned into CNBC at any one time, and it's supposedly the wealthiest viewership cohort in television.

Speaker 2

但这个节目二十五年来毫无变化。

Yet the product hasn't changed in twenty five years.

Speaker 2

依然是穿着无袖裙的女主持人和穿着方正西装的男人语速飞快,背景飘过各种数字。

It's still women in sleeveless dresses and guys in boxy suits talking fast while numbers swim past.

Speaker 2

我们拭目以待。

We'll see.

Speaker 2

我们要搬去伦敦了。

We are moving to London.

Speaker 2

这比我想象的更令人动容。

This has been more emotional than I'd anticipated.

Speaker 2

我并不担心离开朋友、我深爱的国家,或是那种无法超越的生活方式。

I'm not worried about leaving friends, the country I love, or a lifestyle that will be impossible to best.

Speaker 2

昨天与两位查尔斯·施瓦布高管讨论高等教育时,那种让我情绪低落的空虚感源于——我们将离开我儿子们长大的房子。

The cause of the sad hollowness that made me emotional when discussing higher ed with two fifty Charles Schwab execs yesterday, we're leaving the house my boys grew up in.

Speaker 2

我一直擅长拍照,录像更是拿手。

I've been good about pictures and better with video.

Speaker 2

但我真正感激的是那些录音。

But what I'm really grateful for is the audio.

Speaker 2

孩子们的笑声、无休止的争吵,还有他们和狗玩耍时特有的高音调。

My kids laughing, arguing with each other constantly, and the distinct octave they reach when playing with the dogs.

Speaker 2

研究表明听觉是人类临终最后消失的感官。

Research shows hearing is the last sense to go as we die.

Speaker 2

至亲的声音能激活大脑活动,否则这些区域在生命最后时刻会处于休眠状态。

The voice of a loved one initiates brain activity that would otherwise be inoperative during our final moments.

Speaker 2

无神论给了我莫大安慰,让我明白人生没有彩排,只有现场直播。

Atheism is a huge source of comfort for me, knowing that this is it and not a dress rehearsal.

Speaker 2

我清楚自己的终点,并为此做着准备。

I know and am planning for my end.

Speaker 2

若这听起来阴森,其实并非如此。

If that sounds macabre, it's not.

Speaker 2

那将是辉煌的时刻,我已精心安排好陪伴的人、药物和音乐。

It will be glorious, and I have the people, meds, and media curated.

Speaker 2

我将被情感与爱意包围。

I will be surrounded by emotion and love.

Speaker 2

我会通过聆听的方式,重温我的人生。

I will live my life again as I will hear it.

Speaker 1

生活如此丰富多彩。

Life is so rich.

关于 Bayt 播客

Bayt 提供中文+原文双语音频和字幕,帮助你打破语言障碍,轻松听懂全球优质播客。

继续浏览更多播客