The Sleepy Bookshelf - 呼啸山庄,第11部分(共25部分) 封面

呼啸山庄,第11部分(共25部分)

Wuthering Heights, Part 11 of 25

本集简介

今晚,伊丽莎白将朗读艾米莉·勃朗特于1847年出版的《呼啸山庄》第14章。 免费试用The Sleepy Bookshelf Premium 7天:https://sleepybookshelf.supercast.com/。 喜欢The Sleepy Bookshelf吗?请在Apple Podcasts上给我们好评以示支持。 在Apple Podcasts和Spotify上关注节目。 通过我们网站上的调查投票选择下一本书:https://sleepybookshelf.com。 在Deep Sleep Sounds上聆听The Sleepy Bookshelf的音乐,享受放松音景:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxRt2AI7f80 遇到问题或有疑问?查看我们的常见问题解答。 联系我们:Twitter - Instagram - Facebook 非常感谢您加入The Sleepy Bookshelf。现在,让我们打开今晚的书。祝您晚安好梦🥱😴 浏览The Sleepy Bookshelf所有季:https://slumbergroup.notion.site/sleepybookshelf 我们的赞助商 了解BetterHelp:https://betterhelp.com/BOOKSHELF 我们的应用 由Slumber Studios团队开发的移动应用中兑换1个月免费独家无限访问高级内容: Deep Sleep Sounds应用:deepsleepsounds.com/bookshelf Slumber应用:slumber.fm/bookshelf 由Simplecast托管,AdsWizz公司旗下。有关我们收集和使用个人数据进行广告的信息,请访问pcm.adswizz.com。

双语字幕

仅展示文本字幕,不包含中文音频;想边听边看,请使用 Bayt 播客 App。

Speaker 0

这个困倦的书架应该为每个人都准备了点什么。

The sleepy bookshelf should have something for everyone.

Speaker 0

如果我们遗漏了你最爱的故事,你可以在我们的网站sleepybookshelf.com上为未来的书籍投票,或者点击节目说明中的链接。

If we are missing your favorite story, you can vote for future books on our website, sleepybookshelf.com, or hit the link in the show notes.

Speaker 1

你好。

Hello.

Speaker 1

我是伊丽莎白,很高兴与大家分享Slumber工作室的最新节目。

It's Elizabeth, and I'm excited to share with you the newest show from Slumber Studios.

Speaker 1

它叫《沉睡历史》,正如其名。

It's called Sleepy History, and it's exactly what it sounds like.

Speaker 1

以极致宁静的氛围,讲述历史上引人入胜的故事、人物、谜团和事件。

Intriguing stories, people, mysteries, events from history, delivered in a supremely calming atmosphere.

Speaker 1

探索埃尔多拉多的传说。

Explore the legend of El Dorado.

Speaker 1

了解罗马角斗士的生活。

See what life was like for the Roman gladiators.

Speaker 1

揭开巨石阵的神话与谜团。

Uncover the myths and mysteries of Stonehenge.

Speaker 1

在《沉睡历史》中,你会发现这类既有趣又放松的剧集,其制作水准与你熟知并喜爱的《困倦书架》同样出色。

You'll find interesting but relaxing episodes like these on Sleepy History and the same great production quality you've come to know and love from the Sleepy Bookshelf.

Speaker 1

快去听听看吧,或许你又能找到一种安睡良方。

So check it out, and perhaps you'll have another way to get a good night's rest.

Speaker 1

只需在你常用的播客平台搜索'沉睡历史'即可。

Just search sleepy history in your preferred podcast player.

Speaker 0

晚上好,欢迎来到静谧书屋,在这里我们放下一天的烦恼,拾起一本好书。

Good evening, and welcome to the sleepy bookshelf, where we put down our worries from the day and pick up a good book.

Speaker 0

我是主持人伊丽莎白。

I'm Elizabeth, your host.

Speaker 0

非常感谢你们今晚的加入。

Thank you so much for joining me tonight.

Speaker 0

今晚我们将重返《呼啸山庄》。

This evening we are returning to Wuthering Heights.

Speaker 0

但在开始之前,让我们花些时间放松呼吸。

But before that, let's take some time here to relax and breathe.

Speaker 0

用鼻子吸气,呼气时想象头顶有棵美丽的秋树,一片树叶正缓慢、优雅、从容地飘落。

Inhale through your nose and as you exhale imagine a beautiful autumnal tree above you and a leaf falling slowly, gracefully, unhurried.

Speaker 0

保持这样的呼吸,每次呼气时都有一片新叶轻轻飘下,带走你今天的思绪与牵挂。

Continue this breath and each time you exhale, another leaf drifts down, carrying away the thoughts and intentions of the day.

Speaker 0

看着它们在你脚下堆积,金灿灿的落叶轻盈无声,直到大地被宁静的释然覆盖。

Watch them gather beneath you, golden and weightless, until the ground is covered in quiet release.

Speaker 0

当最后一片叶子落地时,再深深呼吸一次,安歇在这棵树下静止的时光里。

When the last leaf settles, breathe deeply once more and come to rest in the stillness beneath the tree.

Speaker 0

平静、圆满而安全。

Calm, complete and safe.

Speaker 0

伊莎贝拉已离开两个月,凯西正从被诊断为严重脑热症的状态中慢慢恢复。

Isabella had been away for two months and Kathy was slowly recovering from a severe brain fever as it had been diagnosed.

Speaker 0

埃德加收到了妹妹的来信但尚未回复,直到两周后耐莉也收到了一封。

Edgar had received a letter from his sister but had not replied and it was a couple of weeks later when Nelly received one too.

Speaker 0

伊莎贝拉与希斯克利夫一同抵达了呼啸山庄。

Isabella had arrived at Wuthering Heights with Heathcliff.

Speaker 0

她被独自留在厨房门口,受到哈灵顿和他的狗的威胁,还遭到约瑟夫的侮辱。

She had been left alone at the kitchen door, threatened by Harrington and his dog and insulted by Joseph.

Speaker 0

她发现恩肖在一间昏暗的大房间里焦躁地来回踱步数小时,伊莎贝拉不敢打扰他。

She found Earnshaw frantically pacing for hours in a large, dimly lit room, and Isabella was afraid to disturb him.

Speaker 0

当要求被带到房间时,恩肖让她去找约瑟夫,叫他带她去希斯克利夫的房间,但要记得随手锁门,并给她看了一把绑着弹簧刀的枪。

When asked to be taken to a chamber, Earnshaw told her to find Joseph and tell him to take her to Heathcliff's room, but to always lock the door behind her, showing her a pistol with a flip knife attached to it.

Speaker 0

他解释说每晚都会检查希斯克利夫的房门,一旦发现未锁,必定会杀了他。

He explained that he tried Heathcliff's door every night and if he ever found it open, he would be sure to murder him.

Speaker 0

约瑟夫正在煮某种粥,看到他肮脏的手伸进锅里,伊莎贝拉坚持要自己来煮。

Joseph was making some kind of porridge and seeing his filthy hand go into the pot, Isabella insisted she would make it herself.

Speaker 0

他抱怨她厨艺糟糕,她则要求带她去房间吃晚饭。

He complained of her poor cooking skills and she demanded she be taken to a room to eat her supper.

Speaker 0

没有一间房适合睡觉,她最终在哈灵顿房间的椅子上睡着,却被希斯克利夫粗鲁地惊醒。

None of the rooms were appropriate for sleeping in and she finally fell asleep in a chair in Harrington's chamber when she was rudely awoken by Heathcliff.

Speaker 0

他告诉她得知凯瑟琳病了,在她能抓到埃德加之前,她要为哥哥的疏忽付出代价。

He told her he had learnt that Catherine had been sick and that she would pay for her brother's negligence until he could get his hands on Edgar.

Speaker 0

今晚耐莉继续讲述她的故事,请躺下放松,我将翻开《呼啸山庄》的下一页。

Tonight Nelly continues her story, so just lie back and relax as I turn to the next pages of Wuthering Heights.

Speaker 0

第十四章 我刚读完这封信就去找主人,告诉他妹妹已到山庄,并给我发了封信,表达对林顿夫人境况的哀伤,以及渴望见到他,希望他能尽早通过我转达宽恕之意。

Chapter 14 As soon as I had perused this epistle I went to the master and informed him that his sister had arrived at the heights and sent me a letter expressing her sorrow for missus Linton's situation and her ardent desire to see him with a wish that he would transmit to her as early as possible some token of forgiveness by me.

Speaker 0

‘宽恕?’林顿说。

Forgiveness, said Linton.

Speaker 0

我没有什么要原谅她的,艾伦。

I have nothing to forgive her Ellen.

Speaker 0

如果你愿意,今天下午可以去呼啸山庄告诉她我并不生气,但失去她我也不觉得遗憾,尤其是我从不认为她会幸福。

You may call at Wuthering Heights this afternoon if you like and say that I'm not angry, but I'm not sorry to have lost her, especially as I can never think she'll be happy.

Speaker 0

不过,我去见她是不可能的。

It is out of the question my going to see her, however.

Speaker 0

我们永远分离了。

We are eternally divided.

Speaker 0

如果她真想让我好过些,就说服她嫁的那个恶棍离开这个国家吧。

And should she really wish to oblige me, let her persuade the villain she has married to leave the country.

Speaker 0

先生,您真的不愿给她写封短信吗?

And you won't write her a little note, sir?

Speaker 0

我恳求地问道。

I asked imploringly.

Speaker 0

“不。”他回答。

No, he answered.

Speaker 0

“没必要。”

It is needless.

Speaker 0

我与希斯克利夫家的往来,将像他与我家的往来一样稀少。

My communication with Heathcliff's family shall be as sparing as his with mine.

Speaker 0

这种往来根本不该存在。

It shall not exist.

Speaker 0

埃德加先生的冷漠让我极度沮丧,从田庄回来的路上,我绞尽脑汁想着复述时如何让他话里多些温情,以及如何缓和他对伊莎贝拉连只言片语安慰都拒绝的冷酷态度。

Mr Edgar's coldness depressed me exceedingly and all the way from the Grange I puzzled my brains how to put more heart into what he said when I repeated it and how to soften his refusal of even a few lines to console Isabella.

Speaker 0

我敢说她从早晨起就一直在等我。

I dare say she had been on the watch for me since morning.

Speaker 0

我看见她透过窗格张望,当我沿着花园小径走来时,我向她点头示意,她却像害怕被人看见似的缩了回去。

I saw her looking through the lattice as I came up the garden causeway and I nodded to her but she drew back as if afraid of being observed.

Speaker 0

我没有敲门就径直走了进去。

I entered without knocking.

Speaker 0

这座曾经充满欢笑的房子如今呈现出一片前所未有的阴郁凄凉景象。

There never was such a dreary dismal scene as the formerly cheerful house presented.

Speaker 0

我必须承认,若我处在那个年轻姑娘的位置,至少会打扫壁炉,用抹布擦拭桌子,但她已完全被周遭弥漫的懈怠气氛所感染。

I must confess that if I'd been in that young lady's place I would at least have swept the hearth and wiped the tables with a duster, but she already partook of the pervading spirit of neglect which encompassed her.

Speaker 0

她美丽的脸庞苍白无神,头发没有卷曲,几缕发丝无力地垂落,另一些则随意地盘绕在头上。

Her pretty face was wan and listless, her hair uncurled, some locks hanging blankly down and some carelessly twisted round her head.

Speaker 0

很可能她从昨晚起就没整理过衣裙。

Probably she had not touched her dress since yester evening.

Speaker 0

辛德雷不在那里。

Hindley was not there.

Speaker 0

希斯克利夫先生坐在桌边翻看记事本里的文件,见我进来便起身,十分友好地询问我的近况,并为我搬来椅子。

Mr Heathcliff sat at a table turning over some papers in his pocketbook, but he rose when I appeared, asked me how I did, quite friendly and offered me a chair.

Speaker 0

他是那里唯一体面的存在,我甚至觉得他从未如此风度翩翩过。

He was the only thing there that seemed decent and I thought he never looked better.

Speaker 0

境遇如此彻底地颠倒了他们的地位——在陌生人眼里,他必定是个天生的绅士,而他妻子则是个十足的邋遢女人。

So much had circumstances altered their positions that he would certainly have struck a stranger as a born and bred gentleman and his wife as a thorough little slattern.

Speaker 0

她急切地走上前来迎接我,伸出一只手想要接过那封期待中的信。

She came forward eagerly to greet me and held out one hand to take the expected letter.

Speaker 0

我摇了摇头。

I shook my head.

Speaker 0

她没领会暗示,却跟着我走到餐具柜旁——我正要去放帽子,她低声急切地要我直接把带来的东西给她。

She wouldn't understand the hint but followed me to a sideboard where I went to lay my bonnet and importuned me in a whisper to give her directly what I had brought.

Speaker 0

希斯克利夫猜出了她这番举动的用意,便说:'如果你给伊莎贝拉带了东西——内莉,你肯定带了——就交给她吧。'

Heathcliff guessed the meaning of her maneuvers and said, if you've got anything for Isabella as no doubt you have Nelly, give it to her.

Speaker 0

你不必遮遮掩掩。

You needn't make a secret of it.

Speaker 0

我们之间没有秘密。

We have no secrets between us.

Speaker 0

'我什么也没带,'我回答,觉得最好立刻说实话。

I have nothing, I replied thinking it best to speak the truth at once.

Speaker 0

我的主人嘱咐我转告他妹妹,眼下她既不要指望收到他的信,也不要指望他会来访。

My master bib me tell his sister that she must not expect either a letter or a visit from him at present.

Speaker 0

他向你问好,夫人,并祝愿你幸福,也原谅了你给他带来的痛苦。

He sends his love ma'am and his wishes for your happiness and his pardon for the grief you have occasioned.

Speaker 0

但他认为,从今以后两家应当断绝往来,因为维持这种关系不会有好结果。

But he thinks that after this time his household and the household here should drop into communication as nothing could come of keeping it up.

Speaker 0

希斯克利夫太太的嘴唇微微颤抖,她回到了窗边的座位。

Mrs Heathcliff's lip quivered slightly and she returned to her seat in the window.

Speaker 0

她丈夫站到壁炉旁我身边,开始询问有关凯瑟琳的情况。

Her husband took his stand on the hearthstone near me and began to put questions concerning Catherine.

Speaker 0

我向他透露了一些我认为可以说的病情细节,他却通过盘问从我这里套出了与病因相关的大部分事实。

I told him as much as I thought proper of her illness and he extorted from me by cross examination most of the facts connected with its origin.

Speaker 0

我责备她是她咎由自取,最后希望他能效仿林顿先生,今后无论出于善意还是恶意都不要再干涉他的家庭。

I blamed her as she deserved for bringing it all on herself and ended by hoping that he would follow Mr Linton's example and avoid future interference with his family for good or evil.

Speaker 0

林顿夫人现在刚刚康复,我说道。

Mrs Linton is now just recovering, I said.

Speaker 0

她永远无法恢复如初,但性命总算保住了。如果你真在乎她,就不要再出现在她面前。

She'll never be like she was but her life is spared and if you really have a regard for her you'll shun crossing her way again.

Speaker 0

现在你要彻底离开这个地方。为了避免你后悔,我要告诉你:凯瑟琳·林顿现在与你旧识凯瑟琳·恩肖的差别,就像那位年轻小姐与我的差别一样大。

Now you'll move out of this country entirely and that you may not regret it, I'll inform you Catherine Linton is as different now from your old friend Catherine Earnshaw as that young lady is different from me.

Speaker 0

她的容貌已大不相同,性情变化更大。那个不得不与她朝夕相处的人,今后只能靠着对她往昔模样的回忆、基本的人性和责任感来维持对她的感情。

Her appearance has changed greatly, her character much more so and the person who is compelled of necessity to be her companion will only sustain his affection hereafter by the remembrance of what she once was, by common humanity and a sense of duty.

Speaker 0

这很有可能,希斯克利夫强作镇定地说道。

That is quite possible, remarked Heathcliff, forcing himself to seem calm.

Speaker 0

很有可能你的主人除了基本人性和责任感之外一无所有。

Quite possible that your master should have nothing but common humanity and a sense of duty to fall back upon.

Speaker 0

但你以为我会把凯瑟琳交给他的责任感和人性吗?

But do you imagine that I shall leave Catherine to his duty and humanity?

Speaker 0

难道你认为我对凯瑟琳的感情能和他的相提并论?

And can you compare my feelings respecting Catherine to his?

Speaker 0

在你离开这所房子之前,我必须让你承诺安排我与她见一面。

Before you leave this house, I must exact a promise from you that you'll get me an interview with her.

Speaker 0

不管应允还是拒绝,我都要见到她。

Consent or refuse, I will see her.

Speaker 0

你怎么说?

What do you say?

Speaker 0

我回答道,希斯克利夫先生。

I say mister Heathcliff, I replied.

Speaker 0

你绝不能。

You must not.

Speaker 0

你永远别想通过我达成目的。

You never shall through my means.

Speaker 0

你和主人再次相遇会彻底要了她的命。

Another encounter between you and the master would kill her altogether.

Speaker 0

有你的帮助或许能避免这种情况。

With your aid that may be avoided.

Speaker 0

他继续说道。

He continued.

Speaker 0

如果真有发生这种事的危险呢?

And should there be danger of such an event?

Speaker 0

难道他还要给她本就艰难的生活再添一丝烦恼吗?

Should he be the cause of adding a single trouble more to her existence?

Speaker 0

那么我认为我有理由采取极端手段。

Why I think I shall be justified in going to extremes.

Speaker 0

我真希望你能诚实地告诉我,失去他会不会让凯瑟琳痛不欲生。

I wish you had sincerity enough to tell me whether Catherine would suffer greatly from his loss.

Speaker 0

正是担心她会痛苦,我才一直克制自己。

The fear that she would restrains me.

Speaker 0

这就是你我情感之间的差异所在。

And there you see the distinction between our feelings.

Speaker 0

倘若他处我之位,我处他之位,即便我恨他入骨,也绝不会对他动手。

Had he been in my place and I in his, though I hated him with a hatred that turned my life to gore, I never would have raised a hand against him.

Speaker 0

你若不信,尽管露出怀疑之色。

You may look incredulous if you please.

Speaker 0

只要她渴望与他为伴,我绝不会将他从她身边驱逐。

I never would have banished him from her society as long as she desired his.

Speaker 0

待到她情意断绝之时,我定会挖出他的心脏痛饮其血。

The moment her regard ceased, I would have torn his heart out and drank his blood.

Speaker 0

但在那之前——若你不信我,便是你不了解我。

But till then, if you don't believe me, you don't know me.

Speaker 0

在那之前,我宁愿受尽折磨而死,也绝不伤他分毫。

Till then, I would have died by inches before I touched a single hair of his head.

Speaker 0

可我还是打断了这一切。

And yet, I interrupted.

Speaker 0

你毫无顾忌地摧毁她完全康复的希望,硬生生闯入她几近将你遗忘的记忆,让她再度陷入纷争与痛苦的漩涡。

You have no scruples in completely ruining all hopes of her perfect restoration by thrusting yourself into her remembrance now and she has nearly forgotten you and involving her in a new tumult of discord and distress.

Speaker 0

你说她几乎已忘记我。

You suppose she has nearly forgotten me.

Speaker 0

他说道:'哦,奈莉,你明知事实并非如此。'

He said, oh Nelly, you know she is not.

Speaker 0

你我都清楚,她每思念林顿一次,就会思念我千次。

You know as well as I do that for every thought she spends on Linton, she spends a thousand on me.

Speaker 0

在我人生最黑暗的时期,我也曾有过类似念头。

At a most miserable period of my life, I had a notion of the kind.

Speaker 0

去年夏天回到这片街区时,它一直萦绕在我心头。

It haunted me on my return to the neighborhood last summer.

Speaker 0

只有她亲口的保证才能让我再次接受这个可怕的想法。

But only her own assurance could make me admit the horrible idea again.

Speaker 0

那样林顿将一文不值,辛德利也是,我所有做过的梦都是。

And then Linton would be nothing, nor Hindley, nor all the dreams that I ever dreamt.

Speaker 0

两个词就能概括我的未来:死亡与地狱。

Two words would comprehend my future, death and hell.

Speaker 0

失去她后的生活将如同地狱。

Existence after losing her would be hell.

Speaker 0

但我竟愚蠢地以为她曾有一刻把埃德加·林顿的感情看得比我的更重要。

Yet I was a fool to fancy for a moment that she valued Edgar Linton's attachment more than mine.

Speaker 0

就算他用那渺小身躯的全部力量去爱,八十年的爱也比不上我一天的爱。

If he loved with all the powers of his puny being, couldn't love as much in eighty years as I could in a day.

Speaker 0

凯瑟琳的内心和我一样深邃。

And Catherine has a heart as deep as I have.

Speaker 0

海水倒进马槽容易,他想独占她全部的爱却难。

The sea could be as readily contained in that horse trough as her whole affection be monopolized by him.

Speaker 0

触碰。

Touch.

Speaker 0

对她而言他比狗或马也高贵不了几分。

He's scarcely a degree dearer to her than a dog or her horse.

Speaker 0

他根本不配得到像我这样的爱。

It is not in him to be loved like me.

Speaker 0

她怎能爱上他并不具备的品质?

How can she love in him what he has not?

Speaker 2

凯瑟琳和埃德加恩爱非常,堪称天造地设的一对,

Catherine and Edgar are as fond of each other as any two people can be,

Speaker 0

伊莎贝拉突然激动地喊道。

cried Isabella with a sudden vivacity.

Speaker 2

没人有权利这样说话,我绝不能坐视我哥哥被人贬低。

No one has a right to talk in that manner and I won't hear my brother depreciated in silence.

Speaker 0

你哥哥对你也是疼爱有加,不是吗?

Your brother is wondrous fond of you too, isn't he?

Speaker 0

希斯克利夫轻蔑地指出。

Observed Heathcliff, scornfully.

Speaker 0

他迫不及待地把你抛弃在这世上。

He turns you adrift on the world with surprising alacrity.

Speaker 2

他并不知晓我遭受的痛苦,

He is not aware of what I suffer,

Speaker 0

她回答道。

she replied.

Speaker 0

我并未向他提及此事。

I didn't tell him that.

Speaker 0

那么你必定向他透露过什么。

You've been telling him something then.

Speaker 0

你写过信了,是不是?

You have written, have you?

Speaker 0

我曾写下我已婚的事实。

To say that I was married, I did write.

Speaker 0

你看到了那张便条。

You saw the note.

Speaker 0

之后便再无音讯。

And nothing since.

Speaker 0

没有。

No.

Speaker 0

这位年轻女士婚后容光黯淡了许多。

My young lady is looking sadly the worse for her change of condition.

Speaker 0

我评论道。

I remarked.

Speaker 0

显然有人给她的爱意不够。

Somebody's love comes short in her case obviously.

Speaker 0

我大概能猜到是谁,但或许不该说。

Whose I may guess but perhaps I shouldn't say.

Speaker 0

我猜是她自己。

I should guess it was her own.

Speaker 0

希斯克利夫说道。

Said Heathcliff.

Speaker 0

她堕落成了个邋遢女人。

She degenerates into a mere slut.

Speaker 0

她异常早就厌倦了取悦我。

She's tired of trying to please me uncommonly early.

Speaker 0

你简直难以置信,就在我们婚礼的第二天,她就哭着要回家。

You'd hardly credit it, but the very morrow of our wedding she was weeping to go home.

Speaker 0

不过,她来到这个家反而更好,因为她并不挑剔,我也会确保她不会因为四处游荡而让我丢脸。

However, she'll to this house so much the better for not being over nice and I'll take care she does not disgrace me by rambling abroad.

Speaker 0

‘好的,先生,’我回答道。

Well sir, returned I.

Speaker 0

我希望你能考虑到希斯克利夫太太习惯被人照顾和侍候,她从小就像独生女一样被抚养,人人都愿意为她效劳。

I hope you'll consider that Mrs Heathcliff is accustomed to be looked after and waited on and that she has been brought up like an only daughter whom everyone was ready to serve.

Speaker 0

你必须让她有个女仆,保持她周围整洁,并且要善待她。

You must let her have a maid and keep things tidy about her and you must treat her kindly.

Speaker 0

无论你对埃德加先生有什么看法,你都不能怀疑她有着深厚的情感依恋能力。

Whatever be your notion of Mr Edgar you cannot doubt that she has a capacity for strong attachments.

Speaker 0

她不会放弃从前家中的优雅、舒适和朋友,而安心与你定居在这样一个荒凉之地。

She wouldn't have abandoned the elegance and comforts and friends of her former home to fix contentedly in such a wilderness as this with you.

Speaker 0

她是在一种错觉下放弃那些的。

She abandoned them under a delusion.

Speaker 0

他回答道。

He answered.

Speaker 0

她把我幻想成浪漫小说中的英雄,期望我以骑士般的忠诚给予她无限的纵容。

Picturing a mere hero of romance and expecting unlimited indulgences from my chivalrous devotion.

Speaker 0

我几乎无法把她当作一个理性的人看待,她如此固执地坚持对我性格的虚构想象,并基于她所珍视的错误印象行事。

I can hardly regard her in the light of a rational creature, So obstinately, has persisted in forming a fabulous notion of my character and acting on the false impressions she cherished.

Speaker 0

但最后,我想她开始了解我了。

But at last, I think she begins to know me.

Speaker 0

我已不再被最初那些愚蠢的笑容和鬼脸所激怒。

I don't perceive the silly smiles and grimaces that provoked me at first.

Speaker 0

她也完全无法理解,当我评价她的痴迷与自身时,我是认真的。

And the senseless incapability of discerning that I was in earnest when I gave her my opinion of her infatuation and herself.

Speaker 0

她能发现我不爱她,这可真是个了不起的洞察力表现。

It was a marvelous effort of perspacity to discover that I did not love her.

Speaker 0

我曾一度认为,任何教训都无法让她明白这点。

I believed at one time no lessons could teach her that.

Speaker 0

然而今早她却把这当作骇人消息宣布——我竟真成功让她恨我了。

And yet it is poorly learned for this morning she announced as a piece of appalling intelligence that I had actually succeeded in making her hate me.

Speaker 0

我向你保证,这简直是赫拉克勒斯的苦差。

A positive labor of Hercules I assure you.

Speaker 0

若真能达成,我倒该感谢上苍。

If it be achieved I have cause to return thanks.

Speaker 0

伊莎贝拉,我能相信你的断言吗?

Can I trust your assertion Isabella?

Speaker 0

你确定恨我吗?

Are you sure you hate me?

Speaker 0

若我半天不理你,她会不会又跑来对我唉声叹气、甜言蜜语?

If I let you alone for half a day, won't she come sighing and wheedling to me again?

Speaker 0

我敢说,她宁愿我在你面前表现得柔情似水。

And dare say she would rather I had seemed all tenderness before you.

Speaker 0

真相被揭露伤到了她的虚荣心。

It wounds her vanity to have the truth exposed.

Speaker 0

但我毫不在乎让所有人都知道这份热情完全是一厢情愿,我从未对此说过一句谎话。

But I don't care who knows that the passion was wholly on one side and I never told her a lie about it.

Speaker 0

她无法指责我表现出一丝虚伪的温柔。

She cannot accuse me of showing one bit of deceitful softness.

Speaker 0

她走出山庄时第一眼看到的,就是我吊死了她的小狗。

The first thing she saw me do on coming out of the Grange was to hang up her little dog.

Speaker 0

当她哀求时,我开口第一句话就是希望自己能吊死她所有亲人——只留一个例外。

And when she pleaded for it, the first words I uttered were a wish that I had the hanging of every being belonging to her except one.

Speaker 0

或许她以为那个例外会是她自己,但任何暴行都无法让她感到厌恶。

Possibly she took that exception for herself, But no brutality disgusted her.

Speaker 0

我想她骨子里就崇拜这种残忍。

I suppose she has an innate admiration of it.

Speaker 0

只要她宝贵的身体不受伤害就好。

If only her precious person was secure from injury.

Speaker 0

那个可怜、奴性、卑劣的贱货竟妄想我会爱她,这难道不是荒谬透顶、愚蠢至极吗?

Now was it not the depth of absurdity, of genuine idiocy for that pitiful, slavish, mean minded bratch to dream that I could love her?

Speaker 0

去告诉你的主人耐莉,我这辈子从未见过像她这样下贱的东西。

Tell your master Nelly that I never in all my life met with such an abject thing as she is.

Speaker 0

她甚至玷污了林顿这个姓氏。有时我因为想不出新花样来测试她的忍耐极限,才勉强停手——而她还会不知羞耻地爬回来哀求。

She even disgraces the name of Linton and I've sometimes relented from pure lack of invention in my experiments on what she could endure and still creep shamefully cringing back.

Speaker 0

但也告诉他,让他那颗当兄长兼法官的心放宽些,我行事向来严守法律界限。

But tell him also to set his fraternal and magisterial heart at ease that I keep strictly within the limits of the law.

Speaker 0

至今为止我都避免给她任何提出分居的借口。更何况——要拆散我们,她还得感谢那个人呢。

I have avoided up to this period giving her the slightest right to claim a separation And what's more, she'd thank nobody for dividing us.

Speaker 0

若她想去,便随她去。

If she desired to go, she might.

Speaker 0

她存在的烦扰已超过折磨她带来的快感。

The nuisance of her presence outweighs the gratification to be derived from tormenting her.

Speaker 0

我说道:希斯克利夫先生。

Mister Heathcliff, said I.

Speaker 0

这简直是疯子的言论。

This is the talk of a madman.

Speaker 0

你妻子多半已让你确信自己疯了。

Your wife most likely has convinced you are mad.

Speaker 0

正因如此她才与你相伴至今。

For that reason she is born with you hitherto.

Speaker 0

但既然你说她可以走,她必定会利用这个许可。

But now that you say she might go she'll doubtless avail herself of the permission.

Speaker 0

夫人,您总不至于被蛊惑到——

You are not so bewitched ma'am are you?

Speaker 0

心甘情愿留在他身边吧?

As to remain with him of your own accord.

Speaker 0

当心点,艾伦。

Take care, Ellen.

Speaker 0

伊莎贝拉回答时,双眼闪烁着狡黠的光芒。

Answered Isabella, her eyes sparkling eyefully.

Speaker 0

从她们的表情来看,她同伴处心积虑惹人厌恶的企图显然已大获成功。

There was no missed outing by their expression the full success of her partner's endeavors to make himself detested.

Speaker 2

别相信他说的任何一个字。

Don't put faith in a single word he speaks.

Speaker 2

他是个撒谎的恶魔,是怪物而非人类。

He's a lying fiend, a monster and not a human being.

Speaker 2

有人曾劝我离开他,我也尝试过,但不敢再试了。

I've been told I might leave him before and I've made the attempt but I dare not repeat it.

Speaker 2

艾伦,答应我别向我哥哥或凯瑟琳透露他那些无耻言论的只言片语。

Only Alan, promise you'll not mention a syllable of his infamous conversation to my brother or Catherine.

Speaker 2

无论他如何伪装,目的都是要把埃德加逼上绝路。

Whatever he may pretend he wishes to provoke Edgar to desperation.

Speaker 2

他说娶我就是为了控制埃德加——他休想得逞。

He says he has married me on purpose to obtain power over him and he shan't obtain it.

Speaker 2

我宁愿去死。

I'll die first.

Speaker 2

我只希望...

I just hope.

Speaker 2

我祈求他能抛却恶魔般的算计,直接杀了我。

I pray that he may forget his diabolical prudence and kill me.

Speaker 2

我能想到唯一的快乐就是死去,或是看着他死。

The single pleasure I can imagine is to die or to see him dead.

Speaker 0

‘够了,到此为止吧,’希斯克利夫说。

There, that will do for the present, said Heathcliff.

Speaker 0

‘内莉,要是法庭传唤你作证,你会记得她这些话的——好好看清这张脸。’

If you are called upon in a court of law, you'll remember her language, Nelli, and take a good look at that countenance.

Speaker 0

她正接近我期望的那个点。

She's near the point which would suit me.

Speaker 0

不,伊莎贝拉,你现在不适合做自己的监护人,而我作为你的法定保护人,必须将你置于我的监护之下。

No you're not fit to be your own guardian Isabella now and I being your legal protector must retain you in my custody.

Speaker 0

尽管这个责任令人不快。

However distasteful the obligation may be.

Speaker 0

上楼去。

Go upstairs.

Speaker 0

我有话要私下对艾伦·迪恩说。

I have something to say to Ellen Dean in private.

Speaker 0

那不是上楼的路,我告诉你。

That is not the way upstairs I tell you.

Speaker 0

这才是上楼的路,孩子。

Why this is the road upstairs child.

Speaker 0

他抓住她,把她推出房间,回来时喃喃自语:我没有怜悯之心。

He seized and thrust her from the room and returned muttering, I have no pity.

Speaker 0

我没有怜悯之心。

I have no pity.

Speaker 0

虫子越是扭动,我就越想碾碎它们的肠子。

The more the worms writhe, the more I yearn to crush out their entails.

Speaker 0

这是一种道德上的出牙期,痛苦越深,我磨牙的劲头就越大。

It is a moral teething, and I grind with greater energy in proportion to the increase of pain.

Speaker 0

你明白‘怜悯’这个词的含义吗?

Do you understand what the word pity means?

Speaker 0

我边说边急忙重新戴上帽子。

I said hastening to resume my bonnet.

Speaker 0

你这辈子可曾感受过这种触动?

Did you ever feel a touch of it in your life?

Speaker 0

把那东西放下。

Put that down.

Speaker 0

他察觉到我要离开的意图,打断了我的话。

He interrupted, perceiving my intention to depart.

Speaker 0

你还不能走。

You were not going yet.

Speaker 0

过来,阿尔诺。

Come here, Arnaud.

Speaker 0

我必须说服或强迫你帮助我实现见到凯瑟琳的决心,而且刻不容缓。

I must either persuade or compel you to aid me in fulfilling my determination to see Catherine and that without delay.

Speaker 0

我发誓绝无恶意。

I swear that I meditate no harm.

Speaker 0

我并不想引起任何骚动,也不想激怒或冒犯林顿先生。

I don't desire to cause any disturbance or to exasperate or insult mister Linton.

Speaker 0

我只想亲耳听听她的近况,了解她为何生病,并询问是否有我能帮上忙的地方。

I only wish to hear from herself how she is and why she has been ill and to ask if anything that I could do would be of use to her.

Speaker 0

昨晚我在画眉庄园的花园里待了六小时,今夜我会再来,以后每个夜晚我都会在此徘徊,直到找到进入的机会。

Last night I was in the Grange Garden six hours and I returned that night and every night I'll haunt the place and every day till I find an opportunity of entering.

Speaker 0

如果埃德加·林顿遇到我,我会毫不犹豫地击倒他,让他在我逗留期间保持安静。

If Edgar Linton meets me, I shall not hesitate to knock him down and give him enough to ensure his quiescence what I stay.

Speaker 0

若他的仆人们与我作对,我就用这些手枪威胁他们离开。

If his servants oppose me, I shall threaten them off with these pistols.

Speaker 0

但避免让我与他们或他们的主人接触,岂不是更好?

But wouldn't it be better to prevent my coming in contact with them or their master?

Speaker 0

而你本可以轻而易举做到这点。

And you could do it so easily.

Speaker 0

我会提前通知你何时到来,待她独处时你便可悄悄放我进去,监视到我离开为止,你的良心将毫无负担。

I'd warn you when I came and then you might let me in unobserved as soon as she was alone and watched till I departed, your conscience quite calm.

Speaker 0

你这是在阻止一场祸事。

You would be hindering mischief.

Speaker 0

我反对在雇主家中扮演这种背信弃义的角色,并强调他为了自我满足而破坏林顿太太平静生活的残忍与自私。

I protested against playing that treacherous part in my employer's house and besides I urged the cruelty and selfishness of his destroying missus Linton's tranquility for his satisfaction.

Speaker 0

我说,最寻常的变故都会令她痛苦受惊。

The commonest occurrence startles her painfully, I said.

Speaker 0

她神经极度敏感。

She's all nerves.

Speaker 0

她承受不了这种惊吓。

She couldn't bear the surprise.

Speaker 0

我敢肯定。

I'm positive.

Speaker 0

别再坚持了,先生。

Don't persist, sir.

Speaker 0

否则我将不得不向主人禀报你的图谋,他会采取措施保护宅邸和家人免受这种无理侵扰。

Or else I shall be obliged to inform my master of your designs and he'll take measures to secure his house and inmates from such unwarrantable intrusions.

Speaker 0

既然如此,我就得采取措施把你关起来,女人。希斯克利夫嚷道。

In that case, I'll take measures to secure you, woman, exclaimed Heathcliff.

Speaker 0

你明早之前不许离开呼啸山庄。

You shall not leave Wuthering Heights till tomorrow morning.

Speaker 0

说凯瑟琳不愿见我的故事简直荒谬。

It is a foolish story to assert that Catherine could not bear to see me.

Speaker 0

至于惊吓她,我并无此意。

And as to surprising her, I don't desire it.

Speaker 0

你必须先让她有个准备。

You must prepare her.

Speaker 0

问问她我是否可以来。

Ask her if I may come.

Speaker 0

你说她从不提我的名字,也没人在她面前提起我。

You say she never mentions my name and that I am never mentioned to her.

Speaker 0

如果我在这个家是个禁忌话题,她又能向谁提起我呢?

To whom should she mention me if I am a forbidden topic in the house.

Speaker 0

她认为你们都是她丈夫的眼线。

She thinks you are all spies for her husband.

Speaker 0

呵,我毫不怀疑她在你们中间如同身处地狱。

Oh, I've no doubt she's in hell among you.

Speaker 0

从她的沉默中,我就能猜到她的感受。

I guess by her silence as much as anything what she feels.

Speaker 0

你说她经常显得坐立不安、忧心忡忡。

You say she's often restless and anxious looking.

Speaker 0

这能证明心境平和吗?

Is that a proof of tranquility?

Speaker 0

你说她心神不宁。

You talk of her mind being unsettled.

Speaker 0

在这种可怕的孤独中,她怎么可能不这样?

How the devil could it be otherwise in her frightful isolation?

Speaker 0

还有那个乏味的家禽般的家伙,出于责任和人道,出于怜悯和慈善来照顾她。

And that insipid poultry creature attending her from duty and humanity, from pity and charity.

Speaker 0

你不如把橡树种在花盆里,指望它茁壮成长,就像想象他能用他那肤浅的关怀让她恢复活力一样。

You might as well plant an oak in a flower pot and expect it to thrive as imagine he can restore her to vigor in the soil of his shallow cares.

Speaker 0

让我们立刻解决这件事。

Let us settle it at once.

Speaker 0

你会留在这里吗?

Will you stay here?

Speaker 0

难道我要在林顿和他的男仆的阻拦下杀出一条路去见凯瑟琳吗?

And am I to fight my way to Catherine over Linton and his footman?

Speaker 0

你会像以前一样做我的朋友吗?

Will you be my friend as you have been hitherto?

Speaker 0

并按我的要求去做。

And do what I request.

Speaker 0

决定吧,如果你坚持你那顽固的坏脾气,我就没有理由再耽搁一分钟了。

Decide because there is no reason for my lingering another minute if you persist in your stubborn ill nature.

Speaker 0

好吧,洛克伍德先生,我和他争论、抱怨,断然拒绝了他五十次。

Well mister Lockwood, I argued and complained and flatly refused him 50 times.

Speaker 0

但最终他还是强迫我达成了协议。

But in the long run he forced me to an agreement.

Speaker 0

我答应替他送信给我的女主人,若她同意,我便承诺在林顿下次离家时通知他,让他见机行事。

I engaged to carry a letter from him to my mistress and should she consent I promised to let him have intelligence of Lynton's next absence from home when he might come and get in as he was able.

Speaker 0

我不会在场,其他仆人也会被支开。

I wouldn't be there and my fellow servants should be equally out of the way.

Speaker 0

这样做是对是错?

Was it right or wrong?

Speaker 0

恐怕是错的,尽管权宜之计。

I fear it was wrong, though expedient.

Speaker 0

我以为自己的妥协能避免另一场冲突,也认为这可能促成凯瑟琳精神疾病的转机——可随即又想起埃德加先生对我那些陈腐故事的严厉斥责。

I thought I prevented another explosion by my compliance and I thought too it might create a favorable crisis in Catherine's mental illness and then I remembered Mr Edgar's stern rebuke of my carrion tales.

Speaker 0

我试图通过反复强调'若这配得上背信弃义的恶名,那也将是最后一次'来消除所有不安。

I tried to smooth away all disquietude on the subject by affirming with frequent iteration that betrayal of trust, if it merited so harsh an appellation, should be the last.

Speaker 0

尽管归途比来时更显凄凉,尽管疑虑重重,我终究还是说服自己将那封信交到了林顿夫人手中。

Notwithstanding my journey homeward was sadder than my journey thither and many misgivings I had, ere I could prevail on myself to put the missive into missus Linton's hand.

Speaker 0

肯尼斯医生来了,我这就下楼告诉他你已大有好转。

But here is Kenneth, I'll go down and I'll tell him how much better you are.

Speaker 0

我的故事如我们所说沉闷乏味,倒也能打发掉又一个上午。

My history is dre as we say and will serve to while away another morning.

Speaker 0

看着这位好心的妇人下楼迎接医生时,我思忖着这故事并非我理想中的消遣——不过也无妨。

Reflected as the good woman descended to receive the doctor and not exactly of the kind which I should have chosen to amuse me, but never mind.

Speaker 0

我要从迪恩夫人这些苦药草中提炼出有益的良方来。

I'll extract wholesome medicines from missus Dean's bitter herbs.

Speaker 0

首先,让我警惕凯瑟琳·希斯克利夫那双明亮眼眸中潜藏的魅力。

And firstly, let me beware of the fascination that lurks in Catherine Heathcliff's brilliant eyes.

Speaker 0

倘若我将心交付给那位年轻人,而她的女儿最终却成为她母亲的翻版,那我可就陷入奇特的困境了。

I should be in a curious taking if I surrendered my heart to that young person and the daughter turned out a second edition of the mother.

关于 Bayt 播客

Bayt 提供中文+原文双语音频和字幕,帮助你打破语言障碍,轻松听懂全球优质播客。

继续浏览更多播客