本集简介
双语字幕
仅展示文本字幕,不包含中文音频;想边听边看,请使用 Bayt 播客 App。
卡罗琳,今天我们邀请到了Helion Energy的创始人兼首席执行官大卫·基特利,他正在研发核聚变发电厂。
Carolyn, today we are here with David Kirtley, the founder and CEO of Helion Energy, making fusion power plants.
太棒了。
Amazing.
欢迎你,大卫。
Welcome, David.
欢迎你,大卫。
Welcome, David.
谢谢你们邀请我。
Thank you for having me.
我其实非常兴奋,因为最初我联系你,是想邀请你在今年夏天YC聚会的‘创始人模式’节目中参与一期。
I'm actually really excited because originally, I reached out to have you participate in one of our founder mode episodes at the the YC retreat this summer.
但很遗憾,你当时无法参加。
And unfortunately, you you couldn't do that.
于是我就想,那不如你 later 来参加一期完整的节目?
So I said, well, then why why don't you come on a full episode later on?
所以我们能听到你完整的故事。
So we get to talk to you for the full story.
好的。
Let's do it.
我们来谈谈如何打造一家聚变企业。
Let's talk about how to build a fusion business.
好的。
Let's do it.
聚变。
Fusion.
好的。
Okay.
为了我们的观众,当然也为了我自己,你能解释一下聚变吗?就是聚变入门知识?
Just for our audience, and me, of course, can you explain fusion, you know, fusion one zero one?
当然。
Yeah.
聚变是恒星中发生的过程,轻同位素——即宇宙中最丰富的元素氢和氦——在极端压力、高温下融合在一起,形成更重的元素。
So fusion is the process that happens in stars where lightweight isotopes, so literally hydrogen and helium, the most abundant elements in the universe, under intense pressure and heat and temperature fused together joining forming heavier elements.
这实际上是宇宙中所有物质的形成过程。
It's actually the process how all matter is created in the universe.
但目前我们还没有在地球上常规地利用这一过程来发电。
And we don't really harness it here routinely on earth to make energy and electricity yet.
因此,Helion 的目标就是建造发电机,将恒星中发生的相同过程复制到地球上,以生产低成本、安全的基荷电力。
And so that's what Helion aims to do, is build generators that take those same processes that happen in stars and and do it here on Earth to make low cost, safe base load electricity.
所以我们很快就能获得无限的清洁能源。
So we're essentially looking at unlimited clean electricity sometime soon.
这就是我们的目标。
That's the goal.
不过可能不会免费。
Probably not free though.
我们毕竟还要经营一家公司。
We do have a business to run.
但那就是目标。
But that's the goal.
激励Helion团队的正是这一点:每天我们都在进行核聚变。
That's what motivates the team at Helion is that, you know, every day we do fusion.
我们取用氢和氦,在极高的压力和温度下将它们融合在一起,产生电力。
We take hydrogens and heliums and then under really intense pressures and temperatures, we fuse them together, make electricity.
我认为,模型显示,你可以实现核聚变,从而以低于任何其他发电方式的成本提供电力。
I think, what the models show is that you can do fusion such that you can provide electricity lower cost than any other cost of electricity.
因为燃料在地球上的所有水中都很常见。
Because the fuel is common in all water on earth.
如果你能有效、高效且低成本地制造这些设备,那么聚变本身所产生的电力也将非常低廉。
And if you could build the machines effectively and efficiently and low cost, then the fusion itself, the power that you can produce is also really low cost.
我可以问一个很基础的物理问题吗?
Can I ask a dumb physics question?
只是想确认一下,融合分子这一过程,就是释放能量的原因吗?
Just just to does the does the act of fusing the molecules together, is that what releases the energy?
首先,在物理学中,没有愚蠢的问题。
So first, in in physics, no question is a dumb question.
好吧。
Like Okay.
很好。
Good.
停一下。
Stop.
我们正在利用宇宙的基本力。
Like, what what we are doing is harnessing the fundamental forces of the universe.
因此,理解这一点以及了解其运作的细节对我们每天的生活都至关重要。
And so understanding that and understanding the details of how that works is really critical for all of us day to day.
是的,在原子深处,你取两个氢原子。
And, yes, so what happens is that in the depths of the atoms, you take two hydrogen atoms.
实际上,我们使用一种特定的氢,称为氘,也就是重氢。
In fact, we use a specific one called a deuterium, which is a heavy hydrogen.
氢原子由一个质子和一个电子组成。
A hydrogen is made up of a proton and an electron.
而每一个氘原子都多了一个中子,是一种更重的粒子。
And and every hydrogen deuterium has an extra neutron and a heavier particle.
然后我们取氦-3,这是另一种同位素,包含两个质子和一个中子。
And then we take a helium three, which is another isotope that has two protons and a neutron.
当它们融合在一起时,就会形成氦-4。
And when you fuse those together, you make helium four.
但这个氦-4和产生的质子,实际上比你开始时的组成部分要轻。
But that helium four and the proton it makes are actually lighter than the parts you started with.
这又回到了著名的E=mc²公式,这非常了不起。
And this comes back to the old e equals m c squared actually, which is pretty fabulous.
这种质量上的减少被称为质量亏损,它就是释放出的能量。
Is that that change we call that the mass deficit is the energy released.
好的。
Okay.
好的。
Okay.
好吧。
Alright.
那很好。
That's good.
谢谢你回顾这些。
Thank you for going back.
我只是需要铺垫一下。
I just need set the stage.
我们到周末了。
We got end of the week there.
是的。
Yeah.
所以从根本上说,这对我们日常的意义在于,我们投入这种氘、这种氦三燃料,从中得到的是氦四——顺便说一下,就是气球用的氦气。
So fundamentally, what this means for us on a day to day is we put in this deuterium, this helium three fuel, and what we get out of it is helium four, which by the way is balloon helium.
这是我们日常生活中使用的普通氦气,还有额外的氢气,这些粒子会以高温释放出来。
It's the normal helium we use in everyday life and extra hydrogen and those particles come out hot.
它们释放出的能量和电能远超你输入的能量。
They come out with a lot more energy and electricity than you put into them.
因此,实际上每个反应中释放的能量是你输入能量的百万倍之多。
And so now you can take it's actually like a million times more energy comes out than you put in to the individual reactions.
你可以利用这一点,产生大量的电能输出。
And so you can harness that and make a tremendous amount of output electricity.
天啊。
Oh my god.
这简直是改变世界的技术,能和你交谈真是太令人兴奋了。
This is like world changing, which is pretty exciting to be talking to you.
不过我还没说最难的部分呢。
I didn't say the hard part though.
最难的部分?那才是简单的部分。
The hard part That's that's the easy part.
困难的部分在于,要达到核聚变发生的条件,需要一亿摄氏度的高温和上千个大气压。
The hard part is that, to get to the conditions where the fusion happens takes a 100,000,000 degrees and it takes thousand atmospheres.
所以,温度比太阳还高,压力比地球上几乎任何地方都大,只有在海洋最深处——马里亚纳海沟才会有同样的压力。
So so hotter temperature than the sun and higher pressure than than almost everywhere on earth until you go to actually, it's the same pressure as the Marianas Trench, the lowest part of the ocean.
因此,你必须在一个地方同时实现太阳般的温度和如此高的压力。
And so you have to get to those pressures and the temperature of the sun all in one place.
这就是难点所在。
And that's what's hard.
这就是为什么物理学家和工程师花了这么长时间才实现这一目标。
That's what's taken physicists and engineers so long to be able to do this.
直到三年前我们的上一代系统,我们才用我们的技术制造出能够做到这一点的装置。
And it wasn't until our last generation system three years ago that we are able to build a machine that did that, with our technology.
可是,我们在七十年代不是就已经在核电站里做到了吗?
Well, we did this in the seventies, didn't we, in nuclear power plants?
还是说,你们做的事情和那些七十年代的核电站有所不同?
Or is or what are you doing something different than, like, those old seventies nuclear power plants?
是的。
Yeah.
所以你在想核裂变。
So you're thinking about nuclear fission.
而这正是
And so this is the
完全不同的。
exact separating.
完全正确,正是这样。
This is the exact exact exactly right.
正好相反,你是在取铀、钚这些重元素,然后
Exact opposite where you're taking uranium, plutonium heavy elements and Yeah.
把它们劈成两半,释放出内部被困住的粒子。
Wrecking them in half and releasing the particles that are trapped inside.
好的。
Okay.
但裂变的一部分就是会产生这些放射性副产品。
But part of of fission is that there are these radioactive sort of byproducts.
对吧,大卫?
Right, David?
对。
Yeah.
残留下来的那些部分,我们称之为锕系元素。
The the the parts that are left behind, we call those the actinides.
但裂变后残留下来的正是核裂变中主要的放射性副产品。
But the parts that are left behind are are the the the the big radioactive byproducts in in nuclear fission.
此外,还存在一些其他复杂问题,比如可能发生的熔毁、能量释放等等。
And there's some other complications around potential meltdowns and and energy release and all those things.
这些情况在聚变中是不会发生的。
That does just doesn't happen in fusion.
好的。
Okay.
这是一个根本不同的过程。
It's a it's a fundamentally different process.
好的。
Okay.
我请你再重复一句话,因为这句话引起了我的注意。
I'm gonna ask you to say one sentence again because it struck me.
关于温度比太阳还高,同时深度比海洋最深处还深的事情。
The thing about hotter than, like, the sun and also deeper than the deepest part of the ocean.
再说一遍那句话。
Say that sentence again.
要在地球上实现聚变,必须将燃料加热到比太阳温度还高的程度。
That to get fusion to happen here on Earth, you have to heat the fuel to hotter than the the the temperature of the sun.
实际上,要达到太阳表面温度的十倍。
In fact, 10 times the surface of the temperature of the sun.
同时,还需要极高的压力。
And at the same time, have it to be very high pressure.
在我们的系统中,压力必须比地球上最深的海底还要高。
In our systems, it has to be higher pressure than the deepest part of the ocean on earth.
所以比马里亚纳海沟还要深。
So deeper than the Meryonic Trench.
好的。
Okay.
这几乎会吓跑我见过的每一位初创公司创始人。
That's gonna scare away almost every single startup founder I've ever met.
所以我想和你谈谈如何
So I wanna talk to you about how
你
you
我想回过头来和你聊聊你是如何进入这个领域的,因为这真是一个巨大的挑战。
I wanna back up and talk to you about how you got into this because what what a big thing to be Challenged.
攻克。
Attacking.
是的。
Yeah.
挑战一个多年来无人成功的领域,真是极具挑战性。
What a challenging thing to be attacking that no one succeeded in doing for years and years and years.
我们能不能退一步,讲讲你是怎么开始涉足这个领域的?
So can we back up and tell us how you first started getting into this?
是的。
Yeah.
所以,我可能比较特别,但其实也没那么特别。
So I, was probably unique and and and this isn't that unique.
我觉得在青少年时期,我就想做一件能改变世界的事。
I think that as a teenager, I said, wanna do something that changes the world.
我认为每个人都是从这里开始的。
And and I think I think everyone starts there.
然后开始用自己独特的视角去观察世界,思考有哪些问题是我想要解决的。
And and then starts to look at the world with their lens of what are the problems I wanna go solve in the world.
对我来说,当时我看到能源领域存在很多挑战。
And for me, where I was at the time is I saw a lot of challenges with energy.
清洁用水问题归根结底也是能源问题。
Clean water and that comes down to energy.
我童年时,父亲一直在海军服役。
For a lot of my childhood, my father was in the Navy.
所以我们全家辗转于世界各地的军事基地之间。
And so we went from military base to military base all over the world.
我有机会看到世界的许多地方,但也目睹了油轮、我住过的小岛上的海水淡化厂,以及其他一些能源相关的难题,这让我萌生了探索能源本质的念头。
And I got to see lots of parts of the world, but also see that, you know, see the oil tankers, see I lived on a small island and see the desalination plants and see some of the other challenges we had and went to, I wanna go soul of energy.
作为一个工程师和科学家的孩子,我总是觉得,宇宙中绝大部分能量——事实上连物质本身——都是由恒星内部的聚变过程产生的,而我们人类却从未在地球上实现这一过程。
And, you know, it always struck me as a a child of an engineer and a and a scientist that most of the energy in the universe, in fact matter too, is created from this process, this fusion process that happens in stars that we just don't do here.
事实上,从某种角度来说,我一直觉得我们使用聚变的副产品这件事有点荒谬。
In fact, in some ways, it's a little it's a little bit it always felt silly to me that we use the after effects of fusion.
我们利用的是太阳光——仅有一小部分抵达地球的阳光——将其转化为电能,或让植物吸收,最终经过数百万年变成石油,而我们却在使用这些产物。
We use the sunlight that, you know, a tiny fraction of the sunlight created that hits earth and we convert that to electricity or that gets converted into plants and then into eventually, you know, millions of years later into oil and that's what we use.
这就像是,为什么我们不直接使用这个过程呢?
And it's like, why aren't we using the actual process?
所以我去研究这个领域。
And so that's what I went off to study.
我在本科教育和早期的硕士研究中,花了好几年时间研究这个课题。
And I went and studied this for a number of years in my undergraduate academic education and an early master's work.
我看到,我们当时所进行的聚变研究,其方法都非常出色。
And what I saw was that the fusion that we were doing, the approaches for fusion were brilliant.
由杰出的科学家和工程师主导,他们专注于实现地球上聚变能的技术路径。
Run by brilliant scientists and engineers, that were focused on approaches to fusion that would eventually get us to fusion here on earth.
我绝对相信这一点。
Like, I absolutely believe that.
我也相信,自上世纪三十年代和四十年代以来,这些杰出的科学家和工程师所付出的努力,极大地推动了聚变物理与工程领域的发展。
And and I believe that, you know, the amount of work that those brilliant scientists, engineers have done over the since the nineteen thirties and forties has progressed the field of the physics and the engineering of fusion massively.
但我同时也发现,一些商业和市场化方面的要素还缺失了。
But I also saw that some of the business and commercial aspects were missing.
我们当时看到的是,要证明一个原型需要数十亿甚至数百亿美元的投资,这一点我们早已知晓。
That what we were seeing was it was going to take, we already knew this at the time, tens of billions or hundreds of billions of investment to prove a prototype.
这些技术永远无法实现投资回报。
That that those technologies would never have a return on investment.
我看不出,在如此庞大的投资和数十年的建设周期后,如何能获得低成本的电力。
Couldn't see how that amount of investment and a given amount of decades to build those machines would ever return low cost electricity.
你确实做了非常出色的工程和科学工作,但你没能实现产品。
So you're not you're doing really great engineering and science, but you're not getting to the product.
我也注意到这一点,也许这有点自私。
I also saw that and this is maybe a little selfish.
我喜欢动手建造东西。
I like to build things.
我和我所合作的物理学家、工程师们会设计一些东西,但很可能永远无法真正建造出来。
And the physicists and engineers that I was working with, we would be designing something, but probably never actually build it.
在他们有生之年,永远不会看到这些设备真正运行起来。
They would never see it turn on in our career.
我不喜欢,这不适合我。
And I like, that that's not for me.
我想去建造一个能运行的东西,我想亲眼看到它。
Like, I I wanna go build a thing that works and I wanna see it.
我想参与其中。
I wanna participate in it.
于是我离开了。
So I went off.
我实际上将我的职业方向从核聚变转向了高温气体物理。
I actually pivoted my career away from fusion and took the physics of high temperature gases.
我们实际上称之为等离子体,还有电磁学以及我所学的一切。
We call it a plasma, actually, and electromagnetics and all the things I learned.
我转向了空间推进领域,开始带领团队,设计技术,将核聚变中的部分物理和工程原理应用到火箭上。
And I pivoted into space propulsion and started running teams and designing technologies to do to take some of that physics and engineering from fusion and apply it to rockets.
事实上,我当年在空军研究实验室工作时开发的一些推进器技术,正是如今用于星链卫星的推进技术,这些技术就是我们当时开发的。
And in fact, some of the the the thruster technologies are what are the thruster technology that we developed when I was working at the Air Force Research Labs is the technologies used in Starlink right now to run those spacecraft that we developed That's
非常酷。
very cool.
然后这些技术被分享到全世界,他们拿去并远远超越了我们的进展。
And shared out into the world and then they took it and ran with it a million miles past where we were.
但这让我意识到,我们其实可以将同样的物理原理、工程方法和现代技术,以比他人想象中快得多的速度推进。
But that told me, hey, we can actually take some of the same physics and engineering and modern technology and go way faster than what others had thought.
2008年,我搬到华盛顿州,带领一个团队开展这项工作。这个团队也运用了那些技术,并反过来应用于核聚变研究——我们尝试开发比以往任何系统都更小、更高效的装置。
2008, I moved to Washington State to run a team to do this, And that team also took some of those technologies, and we applied it to fusion going backwards of, hey, why don't we try to develop systems that are much smaller than people have ever done before, that are much more efficient.
它们使用了光纤、高速计算、高速和现代电力电子技术,而这些是我学术训练中从未接触过的。
They use fiber optics and high speed computing and high speed and, and modern power electronics that these other approaches that I learned in my my academic programs didn't use.
现在,我们将这些现代技术——本质上是摩尔定律——应用进来。
And now apply those modern technologies, essentially Moore's Law.
把摩尔定律应用到核聚变上,我们能做些什么?
Take Moore's Law and apply it to fusion, what can we do?
我们发现,我们能走得快得多。
And what we found is we could go way faster.
因此,在过去十年里,我们已经建造了七个实现核聚变的原型机,而大多数人之间原型机的间隔长达十年甚至三十年。
And so in in the last ten years now, we've built seven prototypes that do fusion where most folks are are a decade or thirty years between prototypes.
这使我们能够快速迭代科学设计、快速迭代工程方案,进而现在构建全尺寸系统。
So that has enabled us to iterate quickly on the science, iterate quickly on the engineering, and then and and then now build full scale systems.
我们目前正在运行第七代系统,它每天都在运行。
We're on our seventh generation system that's running every day.
还有Polaris。
And Polaris.
我们将运行Polaris并实现核聚变。
We'll be running Polaris and doing fusion.
等等。
Wait.
这其实是个很好的过渡。
This is a good segue, actually.
因为本周我问了萨姆这个问题。
Because I asked Sam this week.
我说过你要来参加节目。
I said you were coming on the show.
所以我问了萨姆·阿尔特曼。
So I asked Sam Altman.
顺便说一下,每次我们采访某人时,我都习惯看看他们的申请材料,我想卡罗琳也是这样,就是想看看里面写了什么。
Because by the way, I always look at when we're interviewing someone, and I think Carolyn does too, I look at the application just to see what was there.
而你的申请材料里,我称之为‘萨姆特别版’——只有你的名字和公司名称。
And you have a what I call a Sam special, meaning just your names and the company name was in it.
所以我跟他说,我觉得萨姆是亲自招募了Helion公司。
So I said, I think Sam, like, hand recruited Helion.
这是真的吗?
Is that true?
是的。
Yeah.
我认为这基本属实,当我们见到萨姆时——这也是萨姆的过人之处——早在十年前甚至更久以前,他就已经开始思考数据中心的能源问题了。
I I think it's I think it's pretty true that, when we met Sam, he and this is this is part of Sam's genius, is that he was thinking about the power problems of data centers ten years ago and longer now.
我们当时在外面建造进行核聚变的系统,仍然遵循传统的学术模式:写论文、写提案、申请资助、赢得资助、建造设备、学习大量关于该设备的科学与工程知识、培养几名学生,然后重复这个过程。
And, you know, we were out there building systems that did fusion and still in the traditional model, the academic model of write a paper, write a proposal, submit it for a grant, win a grant, build a thing, learn a bunch of of of science and engineering about that thing, graduate a few students, and then and then rinse and repeat.
但我们的技术进步速度比其他人快得多。
But with the technology, was moving much faster than other people.
于是萨姆亲自来访,带来了一堆教科书。
And so Sam actually came out and visited with a with a stack of textbooks.
我们花了几天时间深入研究了这项技术、核聚变的物理原理、商业路径以及我们的迭代速度。
And and we dug in for several days into the technology, the physics of fusion, and the business path, and the and our iteration speed.
我认为这引起了很大的共鸣。
And and I think that that resonated a lot.
然后他说:‘你应该去Y Combinator。’
And then he said, now, I I'm you should go to Y Combinator.
因为他们会教你如何快速前进,并建立一个真正能够规模化发展的企业。
And because they're gonna teach you how to move fast and and build a business that can actually scale.
所以首先,我想念给你听他当时对我说的话。
So first, I wanna just read you what he said to me.
因为我问他:你对他们有什么印象?
Because I said, what do you remember about them?
他说:他们相对于其他任何核聚变公司来说,都极其认真地投入建设。
And he said, how earnestly they built relative to any other fusion company in the space.
没有花哨的PowerPoint,什么都没有,就是埋头建设。
There were no fancy PowerPoints or anything, just building.
参观他们的办公室,感觉就像是YC式的核聚变方法,与传统风投雇用MBA来操作的方式截然不同。
Visiting their office, it felt like the YC approach to fusion versus how traditional VCs used to do it and hire m b MBA MBAs for it.
我非常喜欢这个描述。
And I just I loved that description.
这个说法对你有共鸣吗?
And does that does that resonate with you?
是的。
Yeah.
我觉得确实如此,我们当时专注于这一点,而我那时其实并不知道,这就是打造用户想要的软件产品的正确方式。
I think it it does that we were focused on and I didn't know this at the time actually, that this was the this is how you build software that use software products that users want.
你只是快速构建和迭代,然后部署出来,收集数据了解它的运行效果,再继续迭代。
Is that you just build and iterate quickly and then deploy something, learn to collect data on how well it's working and then iterate again.
我们就是这样做的,我们的目标就是不惜一切代价,尽快将核聚变技术推向世界。
And that's what we were doing and and our our goal was just to how do we get fusion to the world as fast as possible by every means necessary.
当他来访时,我想我们有一台机器在运行,一台机器刚完成一半,还有一台机器则被拆了一半。
And so when he visited, I think we had one machine operating, we had one machine half complete, and we had one machine and half disassembled.
我们同时在三台机器上并行迭代。
And we're just iterating on on all of those three in parallel.
我能问一下,这些机器有多大吗?
Can I ask you just what what's the size of these machines?
当萨姆来访时,我们位于一个大约5000平方英尺的仓库里。
So when Sam visited, we were in a, probably about a 5,000 square foot warehouse.
机器本身的直径是一米,长度大约10米,也就是大约30英尺长。
The machine itself was it was a meter in diameter and and and and about, 10 meters long, So about on the order of 30 feet long.
而现在,它们变得更大了一些。
And and now now they're a bit bigger.
所以,Polaris 项目位于一个27,000平方英尺的设施内,机器直径约10英尺,长约40英尺,其余空间则被大量的电力电子设备填满。
So we have all of Polaris is in a 27,000 square foot facility, and it's about 10 feet in diameter and about 40 feet long and a lot of power electronics that fill the rest that fill the rest of the building.
我赶紧把这事说完吧,因为我跟保罗说过,我觉得你曾经飞去Helion拜访过一次。
I'm gonna just get this over with because I I said to Paul, I think you you flew up and visited Helion once.
我想,他带着我们的儿子去华盛顿拜访过你们。
He came up with our son, I think, to visit you guys in Washington.
于是我问他:保罗,你记得什么?
And I said, what do you remember, Paul?
他说,他记得那些机器看起来多么可怕、多么庞大。
And he said, he remembered how terrifying and gigantic the machines looked.
quote, 明显先进。
Quote, palpably advanced.
所以,卡罗琳,我觉得我们得安排一次实地考察,顺便去一趟华盛顿州的埃弗雷特。
So, Carolyn, I think we need to go on our field trip, needs to stop by Everett, Washington.
当然。
For sure.
当然。
For sure.
没错。
Yep.
而且我认为他没看到。
And I I don't think he got to see.
当然,Polaris 当时还没有完全建成,也没有运行。
Certainly Polaris was not was not fully constructed yet and and and not operating.
所以他看到的是一些之前的系统。
So he was seeing some of the previous systems.
好的。
Okay.
你刚才快速提了一下你和团队搬到华盛顿的事,但我们能不能稍微回溯一下?
So can you you you said quickly how you went to you moved to Washington with your team, but can we back up just really quickly?
你还记得你刚开始时发生了什么吗?
Do you remember what was going on when you first got started?
你当时专注于什么?
Like, what were you focused on?
这太有趣了。
It's so funny.
我觉得,回头一看,你能清楚地看到自己是如何走到今天的。
I think that, you you know, you look back on it and you can see the clear pathway of how you ended up where you were.
但当时,可能感觉一团混乱。
But at the time, maybe it just felt messy.
我们的目标是尽可能快地建造发电厂。
Our goal was to build power plants as fast as possible.
而我们看到的是,我们当时做的事情——萨姆还找过我们——还在考虑材料科学、等离子体物理、核聚变发电和太空推进,还去了Y Combinator,并在那里待了一段时间。
And what we saw was that the things that we were doing, essentially, Sam met us, still, were thinking about we were gonna do material science and plasma physics and fusion electricity and space propulsion and went to Y Combinator and spent time at Y Combinator.
很明显,你必须专注。
And it was clear that you gotta focus.
你的产品是什么?你打算向世界推出什么?
You gotta what is your product and and what are you gonna deploy in the world?
所以就是这样。
And so that's it.
于是我们将Healian的愿景缩小到仅专注于制造发电机这一单一目标。
And so we then narrowed down the vision of Healian to only that singular vision making generators.
事实上,是某种特定尺寸的发电机,能够装进集装箱,快速运输并进行建造。
In fact, a very specific size of generators that where it can fit in the shipping container and move quickly and build toward build that.
实际上,这正是我本来想问你的另一个问题。
Well, actually, that was another question I was gonna ask you.
当萨姆来拜访你并说你需要参加Y Combinator时。
When Sam said when he visited you and said, now you need to do Y Combinator.
我的意思是,不是说我们不好,但你难道不会想,伙计,我们可是在建发电厂啊,发电机。
I mean, no offense to us, but weren't you like, dude, we're building, you know, power plants here, generators.
当他这么说的时候,你心里是怎么想的?
Like like, what was your thought when he said that?
说实话,我当时对我们的业务有点怀疑,因为我们已经经营了一段时间,主要靠政府拨款来筹钱。
In all honesty, I was a little skeptical that we had been running a business for a while that, you know, collected lots of money from government grants.
我们制造大量硬件。
We build lots of hardware.
你知道,我们基本已经用上了QuickBooks,处理了商业事务,完成了公司注册,做了所有这些工作,还准备了一份演示文稿。
You know, we had the basics of we had QuickBooks and we were doing the business parts and we had incorporated and we had done all of those parts and we had a deck.
听Sam十年后对我们的演示文稿的描述很有趣,但我们当时确实有一版商业路演PPT,觉得自己已经具备了商业基础,而且比我们认识的任何人都进展得更快。
It's interesting to hear Sam's version of our deck in ten years later, but we had a a version of a pitch deck and we thought we had that business and we were moving faster than everybody else we knew.
事实上,我和我的联合创始人克里斯在湾区为参加Y Combinator度过了整个夏天,但我错了。
And I I was wrong that that my co founder and I, Chris and I, spent the summer in the Bay Area at for Y Combinator.
我们实际上会轮流待在那里,他待在那边的时候,我则专注于推进机器的制造。
And we would alternate actually where we would spend he would spend time while I was working on pushing building the machines.
然后,当我待在那边时,他就去建造机器,而我们的第三位联合创始人则完全专注于在雷德蒙德的硬件开发。
And then, and then I I would spend time and while he was up building the machines and, and and our other third cofounder was was focused entirely on the hardware up in at that time in Redmond.
在Y Combinator,我们看到的是一种完全不同的专注心态:关注核心问题——如何打造用户真正需要的产品?
And and, yeah, what we saw at Y Combinator was just so, a different mindset of focus, of focus on what is the thing what how do you build a product that users want?
对我们而言,用户就是所有购买电力的人。
And for us, the user is everyone who buys power.
他们想要的是低成本、清洁的基荷电力,而且还要非常安全,他们恨不得立刻就能得到。
And what they want is low cost, clean base load and really safe electricity, and they wanted it yesterday.
所以让我们专注于这一点,剔除所有其他无关的技术项目。
And so let's go focus on that and and strip away any other side technology projects.
因此,我们要极度专注地做好这一个产品。
So really laser focused on that one one product.
第二,专注于业务,只关注真正重要的事情。
Two, focus on the business on really all the only the things that matter.
不要关注那些——也许这就是萨姆所看到的那些蛛丝马迹。
Don't focus on and maybe this is what Sam saw was the sort of the hints hints of this.
但不要把精力花在那些没有推动产品前进的业务环节上。
But don't focus on the parts of the business that aren't pushing the product forward.
这意味着我们不再招收那么多学生了。
And so that meant things like we're no longer going to graduate as much students.
我们不再花时间培训学生了,因为这不如专心致志地建造产品来得更能加速技术发展。
Like, we're not gonna spend time training students anymore because that doesn't develop the actual technology as fast as focusing on just building.
这意味着要提前投资制造能力,建立产能,以便当你在那时发现新的工程或科学挑战时,能够拥有内部能力去建造、迭代和不断改进。
It means investing in the manufacturing upfront and building the capacity so that when you discover a new engineering or a new science challenge at that time, you have the internal capacity to go build it and iterate and and evolve it.
然后简化并集中精力。
And then just just streamline and focus.
每天问自己:这件事能帮助我更快地部署这个产品吗?
And every day ask yourself, is this a thing that helps me deploy this product faster?
如果不能,那就别做,或者推迟到以后再做。
And if it's not, then don't do it or push it for later.
这很有趣,因为专注是Y Combinator带来的关键要素,我认为世界没有意识到专注在构建任何东西时有多重要,无论是消费类应用还是核聚变公司。
That's interesting because focus is a key thing that Y Combinator brings to the table that I think the world doesn't realize how important focus is when you're building something, whether it's a consumer app or fusion company.
想想你把资源投入到哪里。
And think about where you put your treasure.
你的资源都投在了哪些地方?
Where are you putting your resources?
你是否把昂贵的投资资本投入到能加速业务的部分?
And are you investing your expensive investment capital in the parts that accelerate the business?
还是说它只是表面功夫?
Or is is it window dressing?
它是多余的吗?
Is it extra?
或者它会拖慢业务发展?
Or does it slow down the business?
因为你正在准备,设置了过多的流程。
Cause you're preparing you're putting too much process in place.
所以我们经常思考这个问题:这是否能加速业务发展?
And so so we think about that pretty constantly of does this accelerate the business?
它是否能加速产品开发?
Does it accelerate product development?
它是否能加速部署?
Does it accelerate the deployment?
每位新员工是否能加速这一进程?
Does each hire accelerate it?
并且每天、每小时都要以此为重心来经营业务。
And really having that be the focus day to day, every every hour of of how you run the business.
你们举办过演示日吗?
Did you guys do demo day?
我们确实举办了演示日。
We did do demo day.
对我来说,这是一次疯狂的经历。
It was a wild experience for me.
作为一名科学家、工程师,我做过很多次演讲,所以我带着自己的想法去见YC合伙人,想着我的演示文稿应该长什么样。
So as as a as a as a as a scientist, as an engineer who's given a ton of talks, I went in to the the YC partners with, like, this is what I think my pitch deck should look like.
里面有很多文字,比如,
And it had a lot of words, like,
当然了。
just Of course.
我猜确实如此。
Oh, I bet it did.
是的。
Yes.
注释部分,你得有一个参考页,用来引用这些内容。
Annotation, it had a reference page where you're gonna, like, reference this.
如果让我自己说,那真是一次非常非常出色的科学演示。
It was very, very excellent scientific presentation, If if I say so myself.
但他们说:不行。
But and they were like, no.
你需要一张图片。
You need a picture.
一张图片就够了。
One picture.
你的愿景是什么?
What's the vision?
你到底在开发什么?
What are you actually developing?
嗯。
Mhmm.
别跟我讲你打算怎么做的一切细节。
Don't tell me about all the nuts and bolts about how you're gonna do it.
你最好理解清楚,因为你肯定会被人问到这些问题。
You better understand that because because you're gonna get questions on it.
但你得告诉我这个愿景是什么。
But but tell me what the vision is.
告诉我,观众、世界将如何跟在Fusion和Helion后面,部署这项技术。
Tell me how the the audience tell me how the world is gonna come along behind Fusion and Helion and and deploy this.
这真是一个相当震撼的醒悟。
And so it was it was a it was a pretty wild wake up call.
我发现特别有趣的一点是,你会更深入地了解自己的业务。
The thing I I found that was really interesting was that you learn your own business better.
你会更深入地理解自己的产品。
You earn your own product better.
因为当你专注于所有这些细节时,你会分心。
Because when you have all that detail to focus on, you are distracted.
你无法集中精力。
You are not focused.
你无法加速进展。
You are not accelerated.
而且你实际上依赖着一堆拐杖,而不是专注于我们真正关心的是什么?
And you have a a honestly, bunch of crutches that you could you could rely on rather than focusing on, like, what do we actually care about?
我们关心的是以每千瓦时一美分的成本发电,比地球上任何其他能源都更便宜,以及我们如何实现这一点?
We care about deploying power one cent a kilowatt hour, lower cost than anything else on the planet, and how do we get there?
而为了达到这个目标,我们需要做哪些事情?
And what are the things to get us there?
那正是
That was
那是什么
What was the
顺便问一下,图片呢?
picture, by the way?
那个图片是什么?
What was the picture?
图片?
Picture?
嗯。
Yeah.
没有。
No.
是卡罗琳,我们本该在那里的。
It was Carolyn, we would have been there.
我们本该
We would have
看到这个。
seen this.
是的。
Yeah.
而且我感觉这个听起来有点耳熟。
And I was This actually sounds kind of familiar.
是的。
Yeah.
我们拍了几张照片,因为我没法最终筛选出来。
So we had we had a couple of pictures because I wasn't able to down select.
但我们有,所以仍然在处理中。
But we had but so so still still working on it.
但一张关于聚变本身的本质照片。
But a fundamental picture of the the fusion itself.
而这正是氦融合公司与众不同的地方:我们每天都在进行聚变。
And this is something that differentiates Helion is we do fusion day to day.
我们确实做到了。
We do it.
当你进行核聚变时,这实际上就像Helion的亮品红色标志。
And so when you do fusion, it's actually like a bright fuchsia branding of Helion.
你会看到这种明亮的聚变光芒,这种亮品红色的背景。
You see this bright fusion glow, this bright fuchsia background.
所以聚变是真实存在的。
And so it's like fusion is real.
它就在这里。
It's here.
我们确实做到了。
We do it.
这不再是科幻小说了。
This isn't science fiction anymore.
这是我们正在做的事情。
This is a thing we do.
所以那是一台实际运行的核聚变装置。
So that was one of an actual operating fusion machine.
另一个问题是,你认为世界是什么样子的?
The other was, what do you think the world looks like?
让我们谈谈环境。
Let's talk about the environment.
让我们谈谈大规模清洁能源的影响。
Let's talk about the impact of large scale clean electricity.
因此,曾经有一些关于清洁用水和环境的版本。
And so there was some version of like clean water, and and the environment.
因此,专注于这些方面。
And so focusing on on on those things.
然后能够详细讨论如何在水壶中实现这一目标。
And then be able to talk to the details of how you get to that once in a kettle water.
你需要发展哪些技术路径?
What are the tech technology paths you need to develop?
需要哪些关键证据才能实现并达成这一目标?
What are the proof points to be able to do that and get there?
展开剩余字幕(还有 480 条)
你当时筹了很多钱吗?
And did you raise a lot of money?
我正想说,投资者当时是怎么想的。
I was just gonna say, how did investors right.
我们当时收到了很多关注、很多关注,还有大量的投资意向。
We got a lot of interest, a lot of interest, and a lot of and and and a lot of offers at the time.
最终,我们发现——这又回到了专注的问题上——我们在Helion非常谨慎地控制了股东名单的规模和投资人数。
In the end, what we found was that, and this gets back to that focus part, is that what we have done at Helion is be very careful around how big the cap table is and how many people are are are invested in Helion.
因此,我们实际上并没有在那天或演示日接受任何投资意向,也没有就此达成任何交易。
And so we didn't actually end up, taking offers that day or during demo day, and and closing any closing around that.
直到九个月后,我们才与那些投资者中的几位,以及更多其他潜在投资者深入接触,对他们进行了尽职调查,确保他们真正理解这项技术,同时也让我们自己确信,他们对这项技术感到安心,因为这与以往演示日上人们见过的技术有些不同。
And so it wasn't until nine months later when we had worked with a number of those investors and then a a bigger pool also and done diligence with them, make sure they really understand the technology, gotten them comfortable with the technology, but also getting us comfortable that they're comfortable with the technology because this is a bit different than what what what maybe people had seen at demo day before.
因此,对我们来说,最重要的是:第一,拥有一小群投资者,因为我们知道,随着我们不断建造多个原型和可部署的聚变系统,我们将继续融资,目前已筹集了十亿美元。
And so it was really important to us to, one, have a have a smaller pool of folks because we knew we were we would go on to, we raised a billion dollars now, multiple rounds as we built built multiple prototypes and and deployable fusion systems.
第二,确保所有人对时间表、以及我们需要建造和部署的硬件与资本投入达成一致。
And then also make sure that everybody's on the same page about the timelines and, the amount of hardware and capital we're gonna have to to build and deploy.
我张着嘴坐在这里,因为这真是个大动作,大卫,你花时间深入了解投资者,甚至在这个过程中筛选掉那些可能不耐烦或制造麻烦的人吗?
I'm sitting here with my mouth open a little bit because this is such a power move, David, to, like, sort of, like, you know, spend time, really get to know the investors, and and sort of did you weed people out in the process saying, oh, they're just gonna sort of be impatient or cause problems?
还是说你真的深入了解了他们?
Or did did it did you really get to know them?
是的。
Yes.
没错。
Yep.
我们最终组建的这轮投资,只包括少数几位大型投资者,而且当时他们也通过了我们的筛选,现在回头看,我们是否还会做同样的决定,这确实是个好问题。
And and that and that the the round that we ended ended up building was of only a handful of larger investors, but also ones that were were spending the qualification for me at the time, and it's a good question of whether we we would make that decision now.
这可能带有一点事后诸葛亮的意味。
So this is maybe a little bit of hindsight.
他们愿意花时间去学习一些工程和物理知识,或者聘请懂工程和物理的人来做技术尽职调查。
Was that they were going to spend the time to either learn some of the engineering and physics or hire somebody that's gonna learn the engineering and physics and do technical diligence.
有意思。
Interesting.
是的。
Yeah.
对我来说,我当时的想法是,我从未谈论过这一点,不管怎么说。
And for me, the the thought process there I've never talked about this for what it's worth.
这真是个非常好的问题。
This is super this is a really great question.
我知道我们面临很多大问题需要解决,这需要在技术和设备上不断迭代,而我们当时就在埃弗雷特工厂。
Was that I knew that we had a lot of big problems to solve and that it was going to take iterations of both technology and machines as well as we're here in Everett Building.
我们的制造面积从5000平方英尺扩大到了现在的50万平方英尺。
We went from 5,000 square feet to 500,000 square feet now of manufacturing.
这需要大量的研发、时间和耐心。
And so and that was gonna take some real development and timeline and patience.
是的。
Yeah.
耐心才是关键。
Patience being the operative word here.
有意思。
Interesting.
我可以问一下,那次演示日之后的首轮投资人都有谁吗?
Who were can I ask who those investors were in that first sort of post demo day round?
萨姆当时参与了吗?还是他更早之前就投资了?
Was Sam in it or he had invested earlier?
那时候,萨姆并没有参与。
So so at that time, Sam was not.
所以,当时YC是领投方,我们的首轮投资由Mithril资本主导。
So Y Combinator was, so, our first round was led by Mithril Capital.
然后我们还有的投资方是
And then and then we had
哦,那是彼得·蒂尔。
Oh, that's Peter Thiel.
那是彼得·蒂尔。
That's Peter Thiel.
对吧?
Right?
好的。
Okay.
然后我们有了Capricorn投资集团,Capricorn主导了我们的B轮融资。
And then we had Capricorn Investment Group, and and Capricorn led our series b round.
我们已经公开谈论过那些参与这一轮的其他人士。
And we've already talked about publicly the other folks that that were in that.
我们还有另外六位在Demo Day期间投资的人。
We had another half dozen folks, that were at Demo Day that had invested.
好的。
Okay.
那么继续。
Moving on then.
所以听起来,你在Y Combinator的时间花得很值得。
So it sounds like your time with Y Combinator was well spent.
对我来说,对于业务来说,简直是极其值得的。
Oh, for me, for the business, fabulously well spent.
好的。
Okay.
所以,即使到现在,当我们为海利昂引进高管和领导者时,我们仍然在做这件事——这又回到了创始人心态,这也是为什么我抱歉没见到你,因为我觉得那本会是我们共度的一段绝佳时光。
And so we we have and we we, even now are, continue to as we bring in executives and leaders at Healion, how do we this comes back to founder mode too, which is why I'm sorry I missed you because I think that would have been a really fabulous time together.
快跟我们说说你的创始人心态吧。
Tell us quickly about your founder mode thing.
每当有新的高管和领导者加入时,我们首先会专注于招聘,确保我和克里斯都参与招聘流程,因为我们希望继续在公司内部培养这种文化。
We still, as new executives and leaders come on, one, focusing on on hiring to make sure I'm in Chris and I are in the hiring process because we're looking to continue to grow that at at the company.
我认为保持创始人心态、聚焦于真正重要的事情、尽全力推动进展、绝不找借口说事情应该慢一点、或者我们做不到、或者解决不了这个问题,是绝对至关重要的。
I think it's absolutely critical that keeping that founder mode mindset, focusing on what matters, absolutely driving to that as hard as you can, taking no excuses for why things should be slower or we can't do up do that or solve that problem.
然后,尽管有时对团队来说很烦人,但克里斯、我、乔治和其他创始人都会深入细节。
And then getting in the weeds, as annoying as it is sometimes to, the teams, Chris and I, George, the other founders, we are in the weeds.
当出现问题时,我们会亲自去解决,而不是仅仅指望它能自己解决。
When there's a problem to be solved, we're gonna go and and and help solve that problem and not just hope it gets done.
所以,我希望我的所有领导者都能这样。
And so and we I want all my leaders to be that way.
所以你在2014年夏天参加了Y Combinator,你知道,你之前就已经开始创业了。
So you did YC in in summer fourteen, you know, you started a little bit before that.
你已经做这件事很久了。
You've been doing this for a while.
随着公司的发展,你是否需要学习如何成为一位领导者和管理者?
Did you have to train yourself on how to become a leader and a manage manager as your company grew?
当然,我必须不断成长。
Definitely, I have had to grow.
这绝对是毫无疑问的。
Like, that is that is absolutely for sure.
但其中一部分,我认为也在于我的个人成长经历了不同的阶段,曾经一度偏离了创始人模式,后来又回归了。
But part of it, think, has also been I've had different development periods in my personal growth where I actually strayed away from founder mode a little bit and have come back.
因此,当我们加入Y Combinator时,Helium的创始人们已经是一个团队了。
And so so at the time that we joined Y Combinator, the founders at Helium, we are we are a team.
那时我们不到十个人,现在却已超过五百人。
We are less than 10 people then, and we're well over 500 people now.
当时我们非常亲力亲为,即使还不知道这个词,我们确实处于一种高度参与的状态——每个人都深度投入业务, literally 亲手拧螺丝、组装机器,同时密切关注每一个细节,以便快速执行,让机器运转起来并实现聚变。
We we were very much, whether we knew the terminology at the time, in that mindset of very hands on, they're all very involved in the business, you know, literally hands on to the point of where we were turning wrenches and building machines, but also really paying attention to the details so that we could execute quickly and make the machines work and and do fusion.
把这些要素整合在一起,我们当时非常专注于这些,但并没有真正思考过框架。
And and and so putting all those pieces together, we were really focused on that, but we hadn't really thought about the framework.
总之,我们只是自然而然地在做这些事。
Anyway, we're just sort of naturally doing it.
在建造Helion、扩展规模、并建造多台机器、不断刷新聚变世界纪录的这些年里,这种状态有时会有所偏离。
Over the years of building Helion, scaling, building now now multiple machines that then set continual world world records for fusion, that is sometimes drifted.
很容易放松下来,进入一种更商业化的、传统的商业思维模式。
It it it's easy to relax into more of a an a business mindset, more of a traditional business.
松开缰绳,说:我就让这部分业务自己运行,不再那么专注地投入其中。
Take your hands off the reins and say, like, I'm just gonna let this part of the business do its thing and not really be really, you know, focused on it.
而某种程度上,我们后来对此感到后悔。
And then and then in some ways, we've we've come to regret that.
有些时候我回过头来看,简直不敢相信。
That there have been pieces where I look back and and I'm like, woah.
我们引入了官僚主义和流程。
We've put bureaucracy and process.
我们变慢了。
We slowed down.
我们没有加速。
We didn't accelerate.
我们变慢了。
We slowed down.
我们为什么会这样做?
Why did we do that?
多年来,有一位顾问一直问我:大卫,你是艾森豪威尔还是巴特?
And had to come back an adviser for many years who said, David, are you Eisenhower or Pat?
你是从幕后协调全局,然后让你的将领们放手去干、向前推进吗?
Do you lead from behind the scenes orchestrating the field and then letting your generals go off and and and and, you know, move move the the go forward?
还是你会深入前线?
Or do you get in the trenches?
你会钻进坦克、冲进战壕,亲自在前线带领作战吗?
Do you get in the tank and in the trenches and then actually go and and lead on the front lines?
他们花了多年时间告诉我,我应该做艾森豪威尔。
And then they and they spent many years telling me that we should I should be Eisenhower.
我应该躲在幕后,设定最佳方案,交出去,然后让它自动执行,根本不予关注。
I should be behind the scenes, set us the best set us specifications, hand it off, and let it just execute by itself and not not pay attention to it.
结果发现,这并不是我的风格。
It turns out that's not me.
结果发现,这也不是 Healing On 所有创始人的风格。
And it turns out that's none of the founders at Healing On.
而是要冲到前线,深入其中,解决问题。
That it's it's get to the front lines and get in there and solve the problems.
然后培训他人,激励他们,提供他们需要的资源,再让他们放手去干,因为这边又有个新问题、另一场战斗、另一场火要扑灭、另一条生产线要建造、另一个招聘渠道要打通、另一轮融资要进行——接着跳上去,全身心投入解决那个问题。
And then train folks, motivate them, give them the resources they need, and then let them go continue the thing because there's something over here, another another battle to fight, another fire to put out, another manufacturing line to build, another hiring pipeline to open, another fundraise to do to go and then and and jump onto that and put all your all your effort into that that thing and solve that problem.
然后组建团队去执行,之后他们就能自己运转了。
And then build the team to go do that and then they can go run.
然后就这样去构建和发展业务。
And then and then go and build and build the business that way.
结果发现,这种模式不仅让我这个人性上产生共鸣,而且我也见过它是最有效的。
And that turns out that one that resonates with me as a human, but it also has been I have seen the most effective.
我经常被人说这种方式无法规模化。
And I've been told it doesn't scale.
人们总是这样告诉我。
People tell me that all the time.
但我认为这并不对。
And I don't think that's right.
我认为,只要你离开去解决业务的某一部分时,留下的组织仍然保持着创始人的状态,以高速甚至加速前进,如果我做得好的话,你就可以暂时去专注于其他事情。
I think that as long as what you're leaving behind when you go solve some part of the business is a part of the organization that is still operating in founder mode and going forward at velocity at high speed and hopefully accelerating, if you've if if I've done a good job, then you can go off and focus on something else for a while.
然后隔一段时间检查一下,看看进展如何。
And then check-in every once in while, see how it's going.
你有没有想过,利用这项技术去做一些更简单、更快、更赚钱的事情?
Do you ever get tempted to take this technology and work on something that's, like, easier and faster and lucrative?
因为
Because
嗯。
Mhmm.
因为听起来你一开始也是这样,直到你真正专注于此。
Because it sounds like that's how kind of how you started until you really focused.
所以我只是想知道,这种诱惑有多大——可能来自你自己,也可能来自外部投资者之类的,去选择更容易的路。
And so I just wonder how much, like, temptation is there, maybe from yourself, but also from outside investors or whatever to, like, do the easy thing.
一直都有外部压力要你这么做。
There is constant external pressure to do that.
一个具体的例子是我们使用一种叫氦-3的燃料,这是一种稀有的氦同位素,安全且清洁,但非常稀少。
A a a specific one is we use a fuel called helium three, a rare isotope of helium, that is safe and clean, but pretty rare.
我们很早就发现,事实上,这并不是我们发明的。
And we very early found in fact, we didn't invent this.
使用这种燃料是聚变领域最早的想法之一,但如果不使用它,大多数人会选用其他燃料。
This is one of the earliest ideas in fusion is using this fuel, which is most people if you don't use this.
他们使用的是不同的燃料。
They use a different fuel.
人们不使用它,是因为它非常稀有且昂贵。
And and people don't use it because it's pretty rare and expensive.
因此,我们很早就开发出了一种在地球上生产它的方法。
And so what we developed very early is a way to make it, to actually make it here on Earth.
我们已经证明了可以生产它。
And we've shown we can make it.
我们现在有一整套流程来过滤和分离它供自己使用,但我们也完全可以拿去出售。
We have now have a whole process to filter it and isolate it for ourselves, but we could go sell it.
我们今天就可以去卖它。
We could go sell it today.
如果你仔细看的话,它的总潜在市场规模可能达到数亿美元。
And it's, you know, total total addressable market, if you really squint at it, is maybe several $100,000,000.
所以这是一个合理的市场,它很有用,对人类有益。
So it's it's a reasonable market, and it's and it's useful and would be good for humanity.
事实上,它被用作医疗成像产品,但这并不是我们的目标。
In fact, it's used for medical imaging as as as a as a product, and it's not our goal.
它并不是一个万亿美元的市场。
It's not the trillion dollar market.
它不是为全人类提供清洁、安全的电力。
It's not clean, safe electricity for all of humanity.
它非常小众,但我们今天就能做到,并且已经有客户主动来找我们寻求它。
It is very niche, But we could do it today and and and get and and have customers that have come to us asking for it.
但我们拒绝了。
And we say no.
我们拒绝是因为,第一,它并不能解决我们想要解决的问题。
We say no because, one, it's not it doesn't solve the problem we want.
我担心的是,我见过一些企业被早期阶段那种更小、更容易获取的产品所分散注意力,然后就此止步。
And I worry that I've watched businesses get diverted by that early stage, much smaller, easier to grab, product, and then stop there.
我们不想那样做。
And and we don't wanna do that.
另一方面,我也关注市场动态,看看这类市场是如何变化的。
The other part is I also look at market dynamics is that you look at how markets like that change.
是的。
Yes.
现在这非常赚钱。
It's super lucrative now.
很好。
Great.
你去解决那个问题。
You go solve that problem.
我降低成本,很快它就没那么赚钱了。
I drive costs lower, and now very quickly, it's not as lucrative.
我认为我们拥有这种自由。
And and I think we've had the freedom.
这让我们回到了之前讨论过的一个话题:因为我们选择了一些投资者,以及我们所做的工作,所以我们拥有说不的自由。
This gets to something we were talking to earlier, but it gets we've had the freedom to say no because of some of the investors that we've picked, because of the work that
我们是的。
we're Yeah.
是的。
Yeah.
如果他们只关注三年或甚至五年的回报,他们就会对我们施加很大压力,那样我就可能无法说不。
If they were interested in a three year return or even a five year return, then they would be pushing us very hard, and I may not be able to say no.
没错。
Right.
没错。
Right.
是的。
Yeah.
通过真正聚焦于那些将全球清洁能源部署视为市场的群体,这为我作为领导者和首席执行官提供了空间,让我能够带领团队专注于这一目标。
By by really focusing folks that really are looking towards that global scale deployment of clean electricity as as the market, that that has given me the space as a leader and as the CEO to be able to focus the team on that.
在Helion,这是一个每月进行的对话。
And and it's a monthly conversation at Helion.
是的。
Yes.
所以你说过,聚变这个想法早在三十年代就开始了。
So you were saying that, you know, the idea of Fusion was started back in the thirties.
他们当时在研究,并做了大量出色的工作。
They were researching it and did all this great work.
多年来,人们总是说,聚变还有二十年才能实现。
And over the years, it's always been like, oh, Fusion's twenty years away.
还有二十年。
Twenty years away.
是什么发生了变化,使得现在它不再还有二十年那么远了?
What has happened that now makes it not twenty years away?
事实上,根据你的说法,由于这笔微软交易,它现在只有三年之遥了,对吧?
In fact, according to you, it's three years away, right, with this Microsoft deal?
到底是什么发生了变化,才让这一切成为可能?
Like, what what has changed to make that happen?
没错。
Yeah.
今年早些时候,我们为微软的发电厂破土动工了。
We broke ground on our power plant for Microsoft earlier this year.
因此,我们正在全力推进,并相信我们能在2028年实现并网供电。
And so we are absolutely pushing forward and believe we can deploy electrons on the grid by 2028.
推动这一进展的是其他技术。
And what's enabled that has been other technologies.
在核聚变领域,已经取得了巨大的进步。
There's been a tremendous amount of progress in fusion.
今天我们对上亿度等离子体物理的理解,早已不同于二十年前,更不是四十年前的水平。
Our understanding of the physics of those 100,000,000 degree gases today is not what it was twenty years ago and was is not what it was twenty years before.
因此,这方面已经开展了大量卓有成效的工作。
So there's been a tremendous amount of that work that's being has been done.
我绝不能忽视这一点,即这种进展有多么伟大,以及支持这项基础科学的政府资金有多么重要。
And I cannot never discount how great that has been and how great some of the government funding that supported that, the basic science, has been.
但与此同时,摩尔定律也发生了作用。
But in parallel to that, Moore's Law happened.
计算成本或我们对计算能力的理解——即能够封装到芯片和硅中的功率——在过去十年中发生了翻天覆地的变化,这正是摩尔定律几十年来对我们产生的影响。
That the price of compute or the way we think about it is the amount of power that you can pack into a chip, into silicon, has so radically changed in in the intervening decade, literally decades of Moore's Law that that has applied to us.
我回想起上世纪五十年代和六十年代那些在聚变领域工作的人,我对他们的成就感到无比钦佩,因为那时计算机根本还不存在。
I think back to what the folks in the nineteen fifties and sixties did in Fusion, and I am, like, in awe of that work because you had work with the computer didn't exist.
那时他们只能依靠手工计算极其复杂的物理问题,而这些工作我们如今连尝试都不会用手算了。
So this was, like, hand calculations of really tough physics, things that we we we wouldn't even try to do by hand anymore.
他们打算建造能够实现聚变的机器——我们还没怎么讨论过聚变的机制,但需要巨大的电力。
And they were gonna build machines that did fusion by we haven't talked about the mechanisms of fusion too much, but large amounts of electricity.
事实上,我们现在的Polaris机器目前峰值电力输入已超过100吉瓦,同时从机器中输出大量电力。
In fact, they are able to take our current Polaris right now is running at over a 100 gigawatts of peak electricity into the machine and large amounts of electricity coming out of the machine.
他们在晶体管尚未发明的时代,就已经能够建造出在极短时间内切换大电流的系统。
And they were able to build systems before the transistor existed that could commute large amounts of current in very short periods of time.
而且是用真空管。
And it's with vacuum tubes.
这对我来说简直不可思议。
It's absolutely amazing to me.
而在这一期间,硅技术已经发展到我们可以——我这里给出一些具体数据。
And in the intervening time, silicon has now evolved to where we can I'll give you hard numbers here.
我们需要能够在纳秒级别内接通电力,具体来说是十纳秒的时间。
We need to be able to to turn on electricity in we measure it in nanoseconds, in ten nanoseconds of time.
我们必须能够做到这一点,而当我刚入行时,这非常困难。
We have to be able to and when I started my career, that was very hard to do.
十纳秒低于一吉赫兹。
Ten nanoseconds is less than a gigahertz.
一吉赫兹的CPU现在已经是现货产品。
A gigahertz CPU is off the shelf.
你现在哪里都能买到。
You can get it anywhere now.
但以前这真的很难。
But it used to be really hard.
我们每次进行聚变时需要收集的数据量达到数十吉字节。
We have the amount of data we have to collect for every pulse where we do fusion is measured in tens of gigabytes of data.
而且这一点从未改变。
And and that hasn't changed.
一直以来都是这样。
That has always been the case.
我们一直都需要这么多数据。
We've always needed that amount of data.
但当我刚入行时,我们谈论的是千字节和兆字节,而现在已经完全不同了。
But, again, when I started my career, we talked in in kilobytes and megabytes, and and and that's just not the case anymore.
我们现在真的能够处理这些数据了。
It's we can we can actually handle that.
所以我们现在不再谈论吉字节了。
And so we're not talking about gigabytes anymore.
我们现在谈论的是太字节级别的数据,没错。
We're talking about terabytes of data Yeah.
这些数据是在Healion收集的。
That we collect at Healion.
这些都是我们现在能够做到的事情。
And that's that's things that we can do now.
另一个重大进展是光纤技术。
The other big one is fiber optics.
在这些系统中,比如在Polaris中,我们有数万个大型半导体器件在进行通信和切换,以处理电力。
Is that in these systems, we have, in Polaris, for instance, we have tens of thousands of of large scale semiconductors that are commuting, that are switching for the doing the electricity.
每个器件都由一根光纤控制。
And each one is controlled by a fiber optic.
而这根光纤必须在纳秒级的时间内做出响应。
And that fiber optic has to respond again in nanoseconds of time scale.
这在过去真的非常困难,但如今你可以从百思买买到一块10吉比特的光纤网络卡,其响应速度远低于一纳秒。
That used to be really, really hard, but you can go by a 10 gigabit, So that's way less than a nanosecond fiber fiber networking card from Best Buy today.
而且这彻底改变了我们诊断这些系统、理解其内部运行状况、控制和操作它们的能力。
And and and and it's just it has just totally transformed our ability to to diagnose these systems, to understand what's happening inside of them, to control them, to run them.
因为物理原理从未改变。
Because the physics has never changed.
这种高速的上亿度气体一直移动得如此之快,我们需要纳秒级甚至几十纳秒级的时间尺度来应对。
The gas, this high speed 100,000,000 degree gas has always moved so fast that we needed one nanosecond or tens of nanoseconds of time scale.
而现在我们可以做到了。
And now we can do it.
此外,高速计算本身也带来了变革,我们在机器各处分布了大量可编程逻辑单元。
And also high speed computing just in itself, we have a small programmable logic brain on every single distributed all over the machine.
过去我们需要大型超级计算机来实时理解这些系统中的情况,但现在我们不再需要了。
We used to need big supercomputers to understand what was happening real time in these, but we don't anymore.
我们只需在机器各处部署小型可编程逻辑单元,并通过以太网构成一个大型网络总线来控制整个系统。
We just put a little programmable logic all over the machine and there's a large, you know, network bus that that runs the whole thing over Ethernet.
这使我们如今能够实现二十年前非常困难且昂贵的任务。
And that has now enabled us to do what we we what was twenty years ago very, very hard and expensive to do.
二十年前,这根本是不可能做到的。
And twenty years before that was impossible to do.
哇。
Wow.
这太酷了。
That is so cool.
给我们讲讲你们最新的机器吧。
Tell us about your latest machine.
我们的第七代机器叫做北极星。
Our seventh generation machine is called Polaris.
我们以一颗进行氦聚变的恒星命名它,它同时也是北极星,指引之星。
We named that after a star that does helium fusion, also happens to be the north star, the guiding star.
北极星。
Polaris
而北极星正在运行
And Polaris lives
我们称这座建筑为大熊座,以小熊座命名。
in a building we call Ursa, named after Ursa Minor, the little dipper.
那就是北极星所在的星座。
That's the constellation that Polaris lives in.
我们就是这样为工厂和工厂内的发电机命名的。
That's how we name the plants and we name the generators themselves that go inside the plants.
我们去年完成了大部分机械建设,并于十二月开始为北极星产生等离子体。
We finished most of the mechanical construction last year and we're able to begin making plasmas in December for Polaris.
今年我们为北极星连接了更多的电力,不仅制造数百万度的聚变等离子体,现在还将其加热到数千万度。
We spent this year now hooking up more power to Polaris, not just making these fusion plasmas running at millions of degrees, but now superheating them to tens of millions of degrees.
在北极星项目中,它现在已经完全建成,我们已经以全功率运行聚变反应数月了。
And and in Polaris, we are now have it's fully complete, and we've been running now at full power doing fusion for for several months now.
现在进入优化阶段。
And so now it's an optimization.
这是微调。
It's tweaking.
正在提升功率。
It's getting the power up.
我们目前专注于输出功率。
It's getting the power out that we're focused on.
我有个问题。
I have a question.
听起来制造能量需要消耗大量的能量。
It sounds like it takes a ton of energy to make energy.
这有点像是从五万英尺的高度来看。
This is sort of like that 50,000 foot.
但这里的目的是,除非我完全误解了整个对话,你们的输出能量远大于输入能量,这个比例是多少?
But it the the goal here, unless I've really misunderstood this whole conversation, is that you make so much more in the output than you did in the what is the ratio?
融合领域大多数人试图实现的是产生巨大的能量输出与输入之比,也就是我们所说的产额。
What most folks in fusion are trying to do is make fusion reactions that are have tremendous, what we call yield, energy out per energy in.
我们的目标是尽可能高效地利用输入的每一度电。
What we're trying to do is a little bit Our goal is to be very, very efficient with every all all the electricity we put into it.
因此,我们在2014年Y Combinator期间证明了这一点:我们可以从墙上取电,输入到聚变电磁铁——也就是执行工作的部件——然后回收其中96%的电能。
And so this is what we proved, in 2014 during our Y Combinator time, is that we could take electricity, from the wall, put it into fusion electromagnets, the the parts that do the work, and then recover 96 of that electricity.
哦。
Oh.
在你进行任何聚变之前。
Before you've done any fusion.
所以现在,聚变部分只需要补上剩下的4%以及一点点额外的电量用于出售。
So now the fusion part only has to make up that last 4% and a little bit extra to sell.
大多数聚变领域的研究者会损失他们输入的大部分能量以及输出的大部分能量。
Most folks in fusion lose most of the energy they put in and most of the energy they pull out.
所以他们的效率,如果我客气一点说,大概只有10%。
So they're in the efficiency of maybe, if I'm being generous, 10% efficiency.
很多人效率甚至低于1%。
Most a lot of folks are less than 1% efficiency.
这意味着聚变过程必须弥补所有这些损失。
And what that means is the fusion process has to make up all that loss.
它必须更具能量。
It has to be much more energetic.
它必须更大、更复杂、更昂贵,建造时间更长。
It has to be bigger, more complex, more expensive, take longer to build.
因此,通过专注于它的效率,我们究竟关心什么?
And so by focusing on efficiency of it, of of what do we care about?
产品是什么?
What's the product?
不是聚变。
It's not fusion.
而是电力。
It's electricity.
所以我必须尽可能节省每一度输入的电能,尽可能多地回收输出的电能。
And so I better be saving every elect electron I put in, I should pull out and save as much as I can.
因此,对我们而言,聚变的目标现在是输出大约是输入电力的1.5到2倍。
And so therefore, our goal is now fusion, for us, we wanna make on the order of one and a half to two times the electricity we put in as output.
大多数聚变领域的人士,能量倍数在30倍到300倍之间。
Most people in fusion are what, 30 times to 300 times the energy.
因此,这正是我们追求的目标。
And so that that's the goal for for what we do.
而在Polaris项目中,今年早些时候我们启动它时,已经能够回收我们输入电能的90%以上。
And in Polaris right now, when we turned it on earlier this year, we're already recovering over that 90% of that that electricity that we are putting.
这太惊人了。
That's amazing.
哇。
Wow.
我感觉从头到尾这场对话中,我的嘴都张着合不拢了。
I feel like I've been sitting here with my mouth hanging open this whole conversation.
我学到了很多,大卫。
I'm learning so much, David.
我太兴奋了。
I'm so excited.
我觉得自己对聚变的了解比以前多了一点,而以前我几乎一无所知。
I feel like I'm gonna know just that a little bit more about Fusion than I used to, which was not much at all.
所以这是真实的。
So this is real.
你和微软签了这份协议,我还注意到里面加入了违约条款。
You signed this deal with Microsoft with I might add a penalty clause in
是的。
it.
嗯。
Mhmm.
也许你不想回答这个问题,但如果从现在到2028年之间出了什么问题,你认为最可能出错的是什么?
Maybe you don't wanna answer this question, but if something were to go wrong between now and 2028, what do you think is gonna be the thing that's go goes wrong?
你能预测吗?
Could you predict?
能。
Yeah.
我的意思是,我想告诉你的是,几乎可以肯定的是,并不是每件事都会按照你预期的方式发展。
I mean, what I'll tell you is it's it's almost a thing you know, is that not everything is gonna work the way you think it will.
所以当我们做前人从未做过的事情时,真正需要明白的是,无论是在商业上还是工程上,都会出现意想不到的延误。
And so what we like, that's that's the thing you really know when you're doing something that no one's ever done before, is there will be unexpected delays whether they're business or they're engineering.
你会学到一些新东西。
There'll be new things you learn.
有些会加速你的进程。
Some will accelerate you.
有些则会拖慢你的进度。
Some will decelerate you.
因此,我们建立这个企业是为了应对问题,而这正是创始人模式的一部分。
And so what we've done is we've built the business to solve problems, to be and that's that's part of founder mode.
并不是说:‘哇,’
It's not saying, wow.
出现了一个问题。
There's a problem.
我解决不了。
I can't solve it.
但我要怎么解决呢?
But it's how do I solve it?
或者我认为这可能是个问题。
Or or I think that might be a problem.
我该如何在今天进行投资,以便如果明天出现问题,我能在明天解决它?
How do I invest today so that if it's a problem tomorrow, I will be able to solve it tomorrow?
因此,我们之所以能成功打造出六代机器,就是试图尽可能远地预见未来并为此做好规划。
And so we've now that's how we've been successful of building six generations of machines is trying to see as far ahead as we can and plan for that.
因此,我担心的事情正是我们刚才讨论的很多内容。
And so the things I worry about are the things a lot of the things we're talking about.
如果我们不是95%的效率,而是94%的效率呢?
What if we're not 95% efficient but we're 94% efficient?
如果我们只有93%的效率呢?
What if we're 93% efficient?
我们如何构建能够实现这种演化的系统?
How do we build the systems to be able to evolve that?
如果我们从未遇到过这个问题,而我对此一直非常幸运,但如果我们遇到许可延迟怎么办?
What if, we haven't had this this problem and and and I've been very, fortunate for it, but what if we have delays in permitting?
如果我们实际施工过程中出现延误怎么办?
What if we have delays in actually doing the building?
在购电协议中存在财务罚款。
There are financial penalties on the on a PPA.
我认为,你与客户(比如微软)签订的任何真实协议都应包含这一点。
I think any real agreement that you have with with your with your customer, and Microsoft's our customer, should have that.
就像我们应当让企业对其承诺的交付内容负责。
Like, you did like, we should be holding businesses accountable for delivering what they what they say.
因此,对我们来说,这是一个要求:我们希望找到一个客户,其合同中明确包含这一条款。
And so that was a requirement for us, is that we wanted a customer that would that would that would have that as part of the contract.
因此,现在需要建立相应的系统。
And so it's now building the systems in place.
好的。
Okay.
我们的效率是93%。
We're 93% efficient.
我们该怎么做?
What do we do?
我们现在已经建成了比最低需求更大的制造能力,因为我们还需要更多的电力电子设备。
Well, we've built now the manufacturing capacity that's bigger than what we needed for the bare minimum because we're gonna need some more power electronics.
我们需要进行更多的聚变。
We're gonna need to do more fusion.
我们必须再加把劲。
We're gonna have to squeeze a little bit harder.
我们必须达到更高的温度。
We're gonna have to get to a little bit higher temperature.
所以现在就让我们开始建设这些系统,以便能够应对这些需求,并在学习过程中建立相应的制造和工程能力。
So let's now build those systems already so that we can handle that and build the manufacturing and and the engineering to be able to support that as as we learn.
因此,很多工作在于尽可能多地思考那些可能不会完全按计划进行的事情,以便你能设计出可以调整的旋钮,从而进行修正。
And so a lot of it is starting to think as much as you can around what are the things that may not work out exactly as you as you planned so you can build the knobs to tweak that, so you can adjust.
然后保持一种以解决问题为导向、充满热情且乐观的公司心态。
And then keeping a company mindset that's problem solving based and excited and optimistic about solving problems.
在某些方面,这种激励因素甚至比制造环节更难应对。
And in some ways, that motivational piece is almost the harder piece than the manufacturing piece.
所以你刚才说,你是个解决问题的人。
So you just said, like, you're a problem solver.
你会不断迭代。
You iterate.
你会不断构建。
You build.
但有时候,你会遇到一些完全无法控制的问题,比如政府或监管方面的因素。
But sometimes there's problems that you have literally no control over, government, you know, regulatory, that kind of thing.
你有没有遇到过那种让人惊呼‘天哪’的挫折?
Did you have any kind of setbacks where it's like, oh my gosh.
他们不会让我们做这件事,而且我没有任何应对办法?
They're not gonna let us do this thing, and I have no workaround?
你有没有过这样的时刻?
Did you ever have a moment like that?
我认为在我们创立公司时,确实有几件让我们非常非常担忧的事情。
I think when we founded the company, there were a few of those we were really, really worried about.
那些关乎公司生死存亡的问题,我几乎完全无法控制。
The the existential company killers that I don't have any that that I don't have much control over.
监管就是其中之一。我的意思是,我和萨姆肯定十年前就讨论过这个问题:即使我们能解决所有技术难题,打造出最终实现核聚变的原型机,也可能被归入传统核裂变电站的监管路径,导致无法快速部署——因为一台设备的审批要花十年,而在开始建造之前,就得投入十亿美元做各种研究,尽管技术和物理原理根本不需要这么繁琐。
And regulatory was one of those where, I mean, I I think we Sam and I, I'm sure, talked about this ten years ago, which was even if we were able to solve all the technology problems and build those prototypes that we eventually did that did fusion, you might get regulated in a path of, like traditional nuclear fission power and not be able to deploy quickly, that it takes ten years to license a machine, that it takes a billion dollars in in studies before you're ready to go build something, even though technology and the physics doesn't doesn't warrant that.
所以我们开始投入资源。
And so we started investing in it.
我们开始真正地建立关系,与监管机构会面。
We started doing building the real honestly, building relationships, meeting those regulators.
我记得,是的。
I remember Yeah.
2018年,我联系了负责监管我们的华盛顿州卫生部。
2018, I called the Washington Department of Health who handles who now is our regulator.
但当时,他们监管的是医院中的粒子加速器。
But at the time, they regulated particle accelerators in hospitals.
我说,你们还不了解聚变,但你们就是我们的监管机构。
I said, don't you don't know about fusion yet, but you're our regulator.
这是我们的第五代装置提案,以及我希望你们如何监管它,这是支票。
Here is our proposal for our our fifth generation machine and how I want you to regulate it, and here's the check.
让我们一起启动这个流程吧。
Let's go start the process together.
我们花了多年时间与他们合作,理解他们的关切点,同时让他们也理解我们真正的安全顾虑。
And it took years of us working with them to to understand what drives them, then them to understand us of what are of the real safety concerns.
这是大型工业电力。
This is big industrial power.
有一些事情
There's things
我只是想问一下。
Well, I was just gonna ask.
我们都熟悉核能的担忧,而且我们一开始就已经讨论过这个问题。
We are all familiar with what the concerns are with nuclear power, and we actually talked about it, at the beginning.
但人们对聚变能源担心的是什么?
But what's the what's the thing that people are worried about with fusion?
比如,最大的灾难会是什么?
Like, what's the big disaster?
是因为它又重又热而发生爆炸吗?到底是什么?
Is it just an explosion because it's so heavy and hot and like, what is it?
我们现在运行Polaris时最大的担忧主要是高压电。
The biggest concerns we have in running Polaris today is mostly high voltage.
是电子设备的问题。
It's the electronics.
因此,当我们运行这些设备时,会涉及大量的脉冲功率,大量储存的电能会在极短时间内——高达100吉瓦——输入到聚变装置中。
And so when we run these machines, we have large amounts of of pulse power, large amounts of stored electricity that then very quickly, 100 gigawatts worth goes into the fusion machine.
然后,大量的电能会迅速从设备中释放出来。
And then very quickly, large amounts of electricity come out of the machine.
因此,我们不希望人类处于这种环境中。
And so, we don't want humans in that environment.
所以,当我们运行Polaris时,那27,000平方英尺的建筑里一个人也没有。
And so so so that's the biggest one where we actually when we're running Polaris, no one's in the building in that 27,000 square feet.
但这些还不是最难应对的。
Those aren't the hardest ones though.
这才是最大的实际安全风险。
It's probably the biggest real safety concern.
这仍然是一种核反应过程。
This is still an atomic process.
你正在将原子融合在一起。
You're fusing atoms together.
就像医院里的粒子加速器一样,你会产生电离辐射。
And much like a particle accelerator in in a hospital, you do make ionizing radiation.
会产生X射线和中子。
X rays, you make neutrons.
这些会从机器中释放出来。
Those come off of the machine.
因此,你需要屏蔽人类,使其远离这些辐射。
And so you wanna shield humans from that.
实际上,当我去卫生部门时,我告诉他们:这是我们的屏蔽许可。
It's actually, an interesting story of when I went to the Department of Health and I said, this is our shielding permit.
这是我们保护人类免受机器辐射的方法,这些机器就像产生电离辐射的粒子加速器。
This is how we're gonna protect humans from the machines that are that are making like your particle accelerators that are making ionizing radiation.
他们说:很好。
They said, great.
病人在哪里?
Where is the patient?
因为我们的计算总是假设房间内有病人与机器在一起。
Because our calculations always have a patient inside the room with the machine.
我说,没有病人。
And I said, no patient.
他们都在房间外面。
They're outside the room.
就像在医院里一样,我们会有一个我们称之为屏蔽室的地方。
Like, we're gonna have just like in a hospital, we'll have what we call a vault.
我们会有一个带门的混凝土房间,门可以关闭。
We'll have a concrete room with a door that closes.
操作员在外部,但我们只有操作员。
And you have operators on the outside, but we only have operators.
他们说,哦,这彻底改变了情况。
And they said, oh, this radically changes this.
我们可以推进并快速开展这项工作。
We can go forward and go we can we can do this quickly.
这对我们来说非常有帮助,使我们能够构建可监控和操作的系统。
And that's been really enabling for us is to be able to build systems we can monitor and operate those.
但当你运行这些机器、进行聚变时,你并不在聚变机器所在的房间里。
But while you're running these machines, when you're doing fusion, you're not in the room with the fusion machine.
就像你不会在那些大型粒子加速器旁边,除了病人之外,你也不会在房间里一样。
Just like you're not you you don't other than the patient, you're not in the room with those big particle accelerators.
说到摩尔定律,你将来或许可以使用机器人,对吧?如果需要的话。
Speaking of Moore's Law, you could use robots at some point, right, for if you needed
没错。
Yep.
你知道的,机械装置,或者在波拉里斯房间里的生物?
You know, mechanical things, beings in the room with the with the with Polaris?
没错。
Yep.
全世界都在开展关于远程访问和远程操作的工作,就是使用机器人来完成这些任务。
There's work being done all all over the world on we call remote access and remote handling for using robots that do that.
我有个问题来自保罗,因为我之前说我在采访你。
I have a question from Paul, because I said that I was interviewing you.
我说:‘大卫,你会问什么问题呢?’
And I said, what question would you ask, David?
他说:‘我来读一下。’
And he said I'm gonna read it.
presumably,你已经做过实现净功率的模拟了。
Presumably, you've already done simulations where you achieve net power.
你能制造出和软件一样完美的东西吗?
Can you manufacture things that are as perfect as the software?
最难做到像软件一样完美的东西是什么?
What's the hardest thing to make as perfect as the software?
哦。
Oh.
这说得通吗?
Does that make sense?
嗯。
Yeah.
这是个好问题。
That's a good question.
这是个很棒的问题。
That's a great question.
我认为有两种东西在制造精度上和软件一样难以达到完美。
There's sort of two classes of things I think about that are as hard to to make as perfect as the software.
一是这些物理机器本身尺寸很大。
One is that the physical machines themselves are are large.
它们有40英尺长。
They're 40 feet long.
但某些最小部件的精度我们以千分之一英寸来衡量,也就是千分之一英寸。
And but the accuracy of some of the smallest parts, we measure in thousandths of an inch, one thousandth of an inch.
因此,你需要能够制造出这样的组件:当它们组装在一起时,整体长度达到40英尺,同时精度达到千分之一英寸。
And so you have to be able to manufacture components that are both can have the scale when they're all put together of 40 feet long and be as accurate as one thousandth of an inch.
这比百万分之一还要精确。
This is well better than one part in a million.
这很难做到。
And that that's hard to do.
这真的非常难,我们为此付出了大量努力。
That's really really hard to do and it's taken us a lot of work to do that.
在Helion早期,这真的很难。
And early in in Helion, it was really hard to do.
这是个非常好的问题,因为我们现在使用了一种技术,对我来说有时就像魔法一样,那就是激光追踪器。
We This is a really great question because we have a technology we use now, which seems like magic to me sometimes, in that, laser trackers.
这和你们现在在电动汽车上可能看到的扫描激光雷达类似。
Is that is that and this is some of the things like scanning lidar you might have for electric cars now.
在建造Polaris时,我们可以在整个建筑和机器上安装许多小型反射镜。
And you can build in in Polaris, in the building of Polaris, have little retro reflectors, little mirrors all over the building and all over the machine.
我们实时进行监测。
And real time we monitor.
我们使用激光追踪器,能够在整栋建筑内实时监测精度,精确到千分之一英寸。
We have laser trackers that can monitor the precision location within a thousandth of an inch over the whole building.
而且在实时监控中,当天气变冷或变热时,建筑会发生移动和变形,我们现在能够检测到这些变化。
And real time as we watch when it gets cold out or hot outside, the building moves and shifts, and we can detect that now.
这已经变得
And that's been
天啊。
Oh my god.
如此具有赋能性。
So so enabling.
当我们建造第三代机器Trenta时,我们花了将近一个月的时间来校准所有部件。
When we built Trenta, our sixth generation machine, it took us almost a month to align all the parts.
我们将所有部件安装在大型导轨上。
We put all the parts on large rails.
我们先校准导轨,然后需要在三个维度上进行微调。
We align the rails, then we had to tweak them in three dimensions.
我们每天都有人拿着卷尺,甚至激光测距仪,进行调整,使用小锤子、垫片等各种工具。
And we had people out every day with tape measures and even laser tape measures, adjusting it, little hammers, shims, all kinds of things.
而现在我们只需在所有部件上安装回射器,就能在几小时内完成校准,虽然可能比这还快。
And now we just put retro reflectors on everything and we're able to align it in in, let's say, hours, though it might have been faster than that.
哇。
Wow.
哇。
Wow.
相比之下,之前需要几周甚至一个月时间。
Versus versus weeks and a month.
而且,在我们的进度预算中,我确实预算了一个月的时间来对齐这个。
And it it was, like, in our schedule budget, I had budgeted a month to align this.
然后他们说,大卫,已经完成了。
And they're like, David, it's done.
我就问,你说完成了是什么意思?
And I'm like, what do you mean it's done?
就像,这不可能完成。
Like, It can't be done.
我要下来检查一下测量数据,因为你刚告诉我,时间从一个月缩短到了一小时。
I'm gonna come down here and I'm gonna, like, check the measurements because you just told me you accelerated from a month to an hour.
这就是技术发展或技术演进的力量。
And that's that's the power of some technology development or technology evolution.
另一个类似的时间尺度问题是,高温气体移动得非常快,因此你必须将其控制在十亿分之一秒的极高精度内。
The other is the same thing as a time scale is that we have the the the a hot gas moves quickly and so you have to control it to this very high speed one billionth of a second.
模拟十亿分之一秒非常容易。
And it's very easy to simulate one billionth of a second.
这台吉赫兹级别的计算机可以轻松完成。
This gigahertz computer can go do it, no problem.
但在现实中实现却非常困难。
But doing it in real life is hard.
就像我提到的光纤电缆,虽然很好,但根据长度不同,光在光纤中的传播时间是固定的。
It's things like the fiber optic cable I mentioned is great but depending on the length, the speed of light in that fiber optic cable has a given time.
而这个时间比我们关心的时间还要长。
And so and that's longer than the time we care about.
因此,你必须测量并了解光纤电缆的长度,因为光速会限制你达到特定的时间尺度。
And so you have to now measure and understand the length of that fiber optic cable because the speed of light will limit you to a given time scale.
因此,在现实世界、真实空间中,光速的物理限制、导线中电子的移动速度、实际半导体的开启时间与计算机模型之间的差异,
And so doing it in real life, in real space, the physical limits of the speed of light, the the speed of electrons moving in wires, the turn on time of a real semiconductor versus a computer model.
这些都是我们花费大量时间去理解并确保准确的方面。
Those are a lot of the things that that that we spend a lot of time on is understanding those details and and getting them right.
许多出错的地方,恰恰是因为没有把这些细节处理好。
Some of the things that have gone the most wrong have been not getting those right.
在Trenta项目上,校准机器花了整整一个月。
On Trenta, it took a month to align the machine.
我当时并没有计划要花一个月的时间。
I didn't plan for a month then.
在Polaris项目上,我预估了
On Polaris, I planned for a
一个月,因为我想
month because I
吸取了教训。
had learned my lesson.
不是在Trenta上。
Not on Trenta.
所以我们只是在那上面浪费了时间,因为我们没有做好。
And so that we just burned schedule on that because we didn't get it right.
而在Polaris上,我们进展得更快,这很棒。
And on Polaris, we it it went faster, which is great.
但同样地,在一些时序细节以及如何让所有东西尽可能精确和及时方面。
But similarly, on on some of the details of timing and how do you get everything to to be as accurate and time as possible.
我们在那方面投入了大量时间,并且这实际上是一些最艰难的挑战,因为只有当你构建了整个机器,拥有了这些大规模系统后,你才能吸取这个教训。
That has we've spent a lot of time on that and and it's been some of the some of the hardest challenges in in practice because you don't learn that lesson until you build build the whole machine, until you have these large scale systems.
在实验台上的小规模测试运行完美。
The small scale on the bench works perfect.
没问题。
No problem.
到了大规模层面,光纤变得更长了,你就错过了。
Go on the big scale when now the fiber optics are much longer and you missed it.
所以你必须在计算机系统中加入校正机制来弥补这一点。
And so you gotta go build that in the computer system to correct for that.
我们可以做到,但这确实带来了一些非常有趣的工程挑战。
And we can do that, but that's that's been that's been some really interesting engineering challenges.
你手头的事情真多啊,大卫。
You have a lot on your plate, David.
我知道。
I know.
你是怎么完成这一切的?
Like, how do you do all this?
是啊。
Yeah.
这真是
This is
很多。
a lot.
我们忙不过来。
We're overwhelmed.
但我
But I
我确实好奇,我认为这 probably 不是你的99个问题之一:竞争。
do wonder, one thing that I'm imagining probably isn't one of your 99 problems is competition.
并不是说没有其他人或公司在做这件事,但我就是觉得,这并不是让你夜不能寐的事情。
And not because there aren't other people, companies working on this, but I just get the feeling that that's not something that you lose sleep about at night.
是这样吗?
Is that right?
一般来说,不用担心聚变领域的竞争,甚至也不用担心天然气和其他电力系统的竞争。
Generally, don't worry about fusion competition or even natural gas and and other other power system competition.
我认为全球对能源的需求如此巨大,尤其是在人工智能数据中心和电动汽车的电力需求方面。
I think the need is so great in the world, especially with AI data centers and the power need there in electric vehicles.
随着电动汽车越来越便宜、数量越来越多,对清洁基荷电力的需求变得如此巨大,真正的竞争其实是与我们自己竞争。
And as we've gotten cheaper and cheaper electric vehicles and more and more of them, the need for clean base load electricity is so big that the competition is with ourselves.
关键在于我们如何尽可能快地建造。
It's just how do we build as absolutely as fast as possible.
我们确实会从技术共享的角度来思考,比如公开设计图,以及我们如何谈论这个问题。
We do think about it from the point of view of of giving away the technology, sort of publishing schematics and and how we think about how we talk about it.
但归根结底,核心问题仍然是我们如何尽可能快地建造。
But really, at at the end of the day, it comes back to how how do we just build as absolutely fast as possible.
嗯,如果聚变能改善其形象,它可能成为一种有竞争力的技术。
Well, guess vision, if it cleans up its image, could be a competitive technology.
我不知道这是否正确,但是……
I don't know I don't know if that's true or not, but
我认为最终还是取决于时间表。
I think it it it will always come down to timelines.
我们的目标是实现聚变装置的流水线生产,建立一个聚变发生器的超级工厂,让它们源源不断地从生产线上下线。
Our goal is to get to where we're building fusion on assembly lines, a gigafactory of fusion generators, where they're coming off the assembly line.
它们也被迅速部署了。
They're being then deployed very quickly as well.
有一件事让我感到惊讶,它比预期的还要好,因为我们一直被所有专家告知这是不可能做到的,这属于创始人模式的一部分。
One of the things that I was surprised by that went better than expected and and, because we were told by every expert that you couldn't do this is part of founder mode.
专家们告诉我们,这是做不到的。
We're told by experts, you can't do this.
对于我们的发电厂Orion,我们获得了环境许可的非重大性认定,而这是从未有人做过的事情。
It's not a thing that's ever been done, which is for Orion, our our power plant, we were granted a determination of non significance for the environmental permit.
这简直是一个法律术语。
And this this is like in the Such a legal word.
在环境许可运作的细节中,但这种分类有时会给予某些太阳能电站。
In in the weeds of how, environmental permits work, but it's a a classification given to some solar farms.
大多数太阳能电站都得不到这种分类,因为它们的环境影响可能非常大。
It's not even given to most of them because because the environmental impact can be so big.
他们却说不行。
And and they said no.
核能永远不可能获得这个评级。
No nuclear power can ever have it.
聚变能源太新了。
Fusion power is too new.
这永远不会发生。
It'll never happen.
我们花了多年时间与这些专家合作,探讨聚变技术真正的担忧。
We went through multiple years of working with the experts of these are the real concerns of fusion.
这些是聚变技术的危险。
These are the hazards of fusion.
他们说:不行。
And they said, no.
这就是你的分类。
Like, this is your classification.
这意味着我们可以从今天开始建设。
And what that means is we could start building today.
我们可以立即破土动工。
We and we could break ground.
我们获得了这样的决心。
And we we we got that determination.
我们获得了租赁批准,就在租赁签署后的几个小时内就开始了土方工程。
We got a lease approved and then had had we're moving earth within the hour of the lease being signed.
由于聚变的影响规模如此之小,所以能够如此迅速地推进。
Because of of the the scale of the impact of fusion is so low that you can move that fast.
我不知道基于铀的核能是否能够做到这一点。
And I don't know that that, uranium based nuclear power will ever be able to do that.
永远做不到。
Will ever do that.
是的。
Yeah.
所以目标是无关紧要,这想想还挺讽刺的。
So the goal is non significance, which is kind of funny when you think about it.
环境影响如此之低,以至于我们可以完成研究并立即部署。
The environmental impact is so low that we can do the study, deploy it.
而我们目前的目标仍然是逐个地点进行部署。
And then our goal is right now, we still deploy site by site.
你会说:我要去这个社区。
You say, I'm gonna go to this community.
我要在这里建一座工厂。
I'm gonna build a plant here.
你要花一年时间与社区、当地环保机构和公用事业公司合作。
We you spend a year working with the community and the local, environmental agencies, the utility.
你要花上好几年。
You go multiple years.
然后你才能部署一座工厂。
You now then go deploy a plant.
我们的目标是改变这里的标准,不再像建造机场那样去建设场地,而是像制造飞机一样。
Our goal is to change the the metric here and make it not like building airports where you go and work at building the site, but like building airplanes.
我们就在埃弗雷特这里,紧邻巨大的波音工厂,每天看着飞机从厂房里生产出来。
We're up in here in Everett and right by the big Boeing plants watching the planes come out of the building every day.
而且
And
而这就是你希望实现聚变的地方。
and and that's where you want fusion.
如果你要部署太瓦级、价值万亿美元的发电厂和发电机,你就必须以这种方式进行。
If you were gonna deploy terawatts and trillions of dollars worth of power plants and generators, you have to do it in that way.
现在,我们就在埃弗雷特这里、在我身后这条传送带上制造设备。
So now we build machines right now on conveyor belts behind me here in Everett.
这对聚变来说很不寻常。
And and that's that's that's weird for fusion.
大卫,你在仅有的一点空闲时间里,怎么放松和娱乐呢?
David, what do you do to relax and have fun in in your minimal amount of time that you have?
我有一个九岁的儿子,现在迷上了冰球,加入了冰球队。
I have a nine year old son who is into ice hockey now, joined an ice hockey team.
所以我已经成为那种热爱周六冰球比赛的父母了。
So I have become one of those parents at the at the I love my Saturday ice hockey games.
这真的很有趣。
And so that that's fun.
然后,我会尝试把我在工程、科学和迭代开发中学到的东西带回家。
And then and then a lot of, you know, trying to take some of the engineering, the science, the iterative development things that I have done and bring that home.
现在是万圣节季节。
It's Halloween season.
这是我最喜欢的季节。
It's my favorite season.
所以,我会思考如何制作机械动画,如何把工程和计算机编程的一些东西带回家。
And so, it's a lot of how do you build an, animatronics and how do you take some of that engineering, the computer programming, and and bring that home.
因此,沿着这些方向有很多有趣的项目。
And and then so lots of fun projects along those lines.
我猜也是。
Oh, I bet.
你儿子喜欢这些吗?
Does your son like those?
大部分喜欢。
Mostly.
大部分喜欢。
Mostly.
有时候会觉得有点尴尬,就是
Some sometimes it's cringe is the
我用过、也学会了一个词。
word that I've I've used I've learned.
是的。
Yeah.
对这个很熟悉。
Familiar with it.
是的。
Yeah.
关于 Bayt 播客
Bayt 提供中文+原文双语音频和字幕,帮助你打破语言障碍,轻松听懂全球优质播客。