本集简介
双语字幕
仅展示文本字幕,不包含中文音频;想边听边看,请使用 Bayt 播客 App。
大家好,男孩们、女孩们、女士们,还有细菌们。
Hello, boys and girls, ladies, and germs.
我是蒂姆·费里斯。
This is Tim Ferriss.
欢迎来到另一期《蒂姆·费里斯秀》,我的工作就是拆解世界级表现者。
Welcome to another episode of the Tim Ferriss Show where it's my job to deconstruct world class performers.
我采访他们,提炼出你可以应用到自己生活中的习惯、日常安排、框架等。
I interview them to tease out the habits, routines, frameworks, etcetera that you can apply to your own lives.
今天我的嘉宾是比尔·盖利。
My guest today is Bill Gurley.
他是硅谷领先风险投资公司Benchmark的普通合伙人。
He is a general partner at Benchmark, a leading venture capital firm in Silicon Valley.
但他的风险投资生涯,以及整体职业生涯非常广泛。
But his venture career, his career overall spans a lot.
他投资并担任过Nextdoor、OpenTable、Stitch Fix、Uber和Zillow等公司的董事会成员。
He has invested in and served on the boards of such companies as Nextdoor, OpenTable, Stitch Fix, Uber, and Zillow.
他获得了佛罗里达大学计算机科学学士学位,随后在德克萨斯大学奥斯汀分校取得工商管理硕士学位。
He earned his bachelor of science degree in computer science from the University of Florida and then his MBA from the University of Texas at Austin.
他有过许多其他职业经历,但我们在第一集中已经讨论过这些。
He's had lots of other careers, but we discussed that in our first episode.
我们在这集中将涵盖更多内容。
We're gonna cover a lot more in this one.
二十多年来,比尔一直在他广受欢迎的博客《Above the Crowd》以及他的社交媒体账号上撰写关于科技和其他主题的文章。
For more than two decades, Bill has written about technology and other subjects on his popular blog, Above the Crowd, and on his social media accounts.
他的新书是《追逐梦想:如何在你真正热爱的职业中茁壮成长》,我们将详细解释他所说的含义,包括一些令人惊叹的故事和你可以应用的见解。
His new book is Running Down a Dream, How to Thrive in a Career You Actually Love, and we detail exactly what he means by that, including some incredible stories and takeaways that you can apply.
你可以在 x@x.com/bgirly,gurley 上找到他。
You can find him on x@x.com/bgirly,gurley.
那么,不耽误时间了,请欣赏与比尔·古利的这场内容广泛的对话。
And without further ado, please enjoy a very wide ranging conversation with none other than Bill girly.
在这样的海拔高度,我能全速跑半英里,直到双手开始颤抖。
Optimal minimal At this altitude, I can run flat out for a half mile before my hands start to shake.
我可以回答你的私人问题吗?
Can I answer your personal question?
现在我们看到的是我的书刚刚完成。
Now we're just seeing my book being done.
作为一个赛博格,今年我生活在金属骨架中,这是一种什么感觉?
What it like to be out of I'm a cybernetic organism living this year over metal endoskeleton.
比尔,见到你真好,老兄。
Bill, great to see you, man.
很高兴见到你。
Good to see you.
我想我们从你带来的一个道具开始吧。
And I thought we would start with a prop that you brought.
所以这是一本很厚的书,封面破旧,我认为这再合适不过了。
So there's a very thick book, a tattered cover, and I think that is as good a lead in as anything.
你手里拿的是什么?
And what are you holding?
我手里拿着一本叫《最后的笑声》的书,作者是菲尔·贝格尔。
I'm holding a book called The Last Laugh by Phil Berger.
它之所以破旧,是因为我觉得这本书可能已经绝版了。
The reason it's tattered is I think it may be out of print.
我是买的一本二手书,因为我想看看它。
Like, I bought it used, you know, because I wanted to see it
并且拥有它。
and have it.
副标题是什么?
What's the subtitle?
《最后一圈:单口喜剧演员的世界》。
The Last Lap, the World of Stand Up Comics.
你为什么有这本书?
Why do you have this book?
你打算转行吗?
Are you thinking of making a career switch?
不。
No.
不。
No.
为了研究我的新书《奔跑着一个梦想》,我和我的合著者花了六年时间深入挖掘各种故事,因为我曾在德克萨斯大学做过一次演讲,我们想在将其转化为印刷形式时加以丰富。
So as part of researching my new book, Running Down a Dream, my co writer and I were we spent six years just diving through stories because I had done this speech at the University of Texas and we wanted to enhance it when we went to the printed form.
我们发现的一个故事是杰里·赛恩菲尔德决定成为一名喜剧演员的经历。
And one of the stories we came across was Jerry Seinfeld and his decision to pursue a career as a comedian.
当时他在纽约。
And he was in New York.
他并不确定自己想在人生中做什么。
He wasn't sure what he wanted to do with his life.
他隐约觉得或许想成为一名单口喜剧演员,但他并不清楚这究竟意味着什么。
He had an inkling, an inkling that he might wanna be a stand up comic, but he didn't know what that meant.
他也不知道这是否算得上一份真正的职业。
He didn't know if it was a real career.
他不知道当喜剧演员还能赚钱。
He didn't know that you could make money.
他读了这本书,书中介绍了大约15位不同的喜剧演员。
And he read this book and it profiles looks like 15 different.
书里提到了伍迪·艾伦、比尔·考斯比、乔治·卡林、莉莉·汤姆林和罗伯特·克莱恩。
Know, it's got Woody Allen, Bill Cosby, George Carlin, Lily Tomlin, Robert Klein.
这本书以一种让他彻底放松的方式描绘了他们。
It profiled them in a way that was very disinhibiting to him.
它给了他勇气去从事这份非传统的职业。
It gave him permission to go do this career that's not a typical career.
对吧?
Right?
比如,上大学时,学校并不会把单口喜剧演员列为可选择的职业。
Like, when you go to college, they don't list stand up comedian as something that you can go do.
升学顾问
The guidance counselor
通常来说,这正是多重性的确切体现。
is generally putting that on the multiple Exactly.
但这本书为他提供了去做这件事的许可。
But this book served as something that granted him permission to go do that.
我们稍后会回到这一点。
And we're gonna come back to that.
我要说的是,我为这个话题做了书签,以便未来讨论,当然,我们也在这些录音之外聊天。
I will say that I bookmarked this for future conversations, and of course, we're chatting outside of these recordings.
但两年前,差不多就是我们做第一期节目的时候,你提到你正在构思一本关于这样一个信念的书:如今,因为导师和信息的获取前所未有地容易,所以崛起变得前所未有的简单。
But because two years ago, almost exactly when we did our first episode, you mentioned that you're working on a book idea based on the belief that it's easier than ever to rise up because access to mentors and information is unprecedented.
所以,我们当然会回到这一点,深入讨论其中的框架、方法和故事。
So we'll come back to that, of course, and discuss it and the frameworks and the approaches and the stories at some length.
但我想先从一些时下的话题开始。
But I want to start with some topical subject matter.
AI泡沫吗?
AI bubble or not?
如果是的话,这意味着什么?
And if so, what does that mean?
是的。
Yeah.
我觉得这非常有趣。
So I think this is super interesting.
我的伴侣彼得提醒我,我们之前看过卡洛塔·佩雷斯的一本书。
My partner, Peter, reminded me of a book that we had seen a while ago by Carlotta Perez.
这本书的标题非常平实,叫《技术革命与金融资本》。
It has this very benign title, Technological Revolutions and Financial Capital.
它写于2002年左右。
It was written in like 2002.
佩雷斯简化并指出的一个观点,我觉得特别有助于判断是否存在泡沫:每当出现推动财富创造——尤其是快速财富创造——的技术浪潮时,必然会吸引投机者、投机分子和外来者。
And what Perez kind of simplifies and notices, which I just find perfect for trying to understand whether there's a bubble or not, is that every time there's been a technology wave that leads to wealth creation, especially fast wealth creation, that will inherently invite speculators, carpetbaggers, interlopers.
他们想来趁机获利。
They wanna come take advantage of it.
想想淘金热。
Think of the gold rush.
所以人们想把它变成一场辩论。
And so people wanna make it a debate.
你相信人工智能吗,还是它只是一个泡沫?
Do you believe in AI or is it a bubble?
如果你说你觉得这是个泡沫,他们就会说,哦,你不相信人工智能。
And if you say you think it's a bubble, they say, oh, you don't believe in AI.
就像这种设陷阱一样的说法。
Like this gotcha kind of thing.
如果你研究过佩雷斯的观点,我认为这绝对正确:如果浪潮是真实的,那么你就会看到类似泡沫的行为。
And if you study Perez, and I think this is absolutely correct, if the wave is real, then you're gonna have bubble like behavior.
它们之所以成对出现,正是因为任何快速创造财富的时候,都会有很多人想要来利用或参与其中。
They come together as a pair precisely because anytime there's very quick wealth creation, you're gonna get a lot of people that wanna come try and take advantage of that or participate in it.
因此,会有大量这类人蜂拥而至。
So you get a flood of those types of people coming at it.
这很奇怪。
It's odd.
确实有一股真正改变世界的技术浪潮,同时也有巨大的投机行为。
There's a real technology wave that's fundamentally changing the world, and there's also massive speculation simultaneous.
是的。
Yeah.
它们总是一起出现。
They come as a pair.
我记得不久之前,也许是两周前,看过一段你朋友杰夫·贝索斯的简短采访,他区分了金融泡沫和产业泡沫,并举了2008年作为不良金融泡沫的例子,而比如2000年前后,许多重要的技术被创造出来,这些技术在泡沫破灭后依然持久,催生了新一代企业家和大量经济增长。
I recall not too long ago, maybe two weeks ago, saw a short interview with your friend, Jeff Bezos, and he distinguished between financial bubbles and industrial bubbles and cited and I'm paraphrasing here, but 2008 as an example of a bad bubble, right, financial bubble versus, let's just say, the early two thousands, like, 08/2000, where a lot of very important technology was created that then was durable after the fact and created new generations of entrepreneurs and a lot of economic growth.
他认为人工智能会属于产业泡沫一类。
And he believes that AI would fall into the industrial bubble category of things.
但既然你描述的这对‘舞伴’总是相伴而行,那么在当前时点,你如何看待对私营公司和现代风险投资的布局呢?
But I suppose given that the dancing pair you described come together, how would you think about investing in private companies, modern venture capital at this point in time?
而且,这与你最活跃的时期相比,应该也发生了变化。
And just I suppose as it's changed since you were most active.
关于这个工业泡沫,我简单评论一下。
Just a quick comment on that industrial bubble thing.
让我感到惊讶的是,尽管我坚信这是一场重要的真实技术浪潮,但即使是大公司,比如微软,也都从交易的角度出发行事。
You know, one thing that is surprising to me is that even though I fundamentally believe this is an important real technology wave, The big players, even the Mac seven, have all decided to do things from a deal perspective.
你一定读过这些循环交易之类的报道。
You've read about these circular deals and whatnot.
你能解释一下你指的是什么吗?
Could you explain what you mean by that?
是的。
Yeah.
我的意思是,现在有很多讨论,但这一切都始于微软投资OpenAI。
I mean, there's a lot of talk out there, but it all started when Microsoft invest in OpenAI.
OpenAI同意向微软购买服务,没错。
OpenAI agreed to buy services from Microsoft Yep.
这被称为循环交易。
Which is called a circular deal
嗯。
Mhmm.
因为你正在给他们原本不会有的一笔钱。
Because you're giving them money they wouldn't have otherwise.
当达里奥上周在DealBook活动上登台时,他说:哦,我可以解释,这其实没那么复杂。
And when Dario was on stage at DealBook last week, he said, oh, I can explain, this is not that hard.
亚马逊希望我们花我们本来没有的钱,于是他们又给了我们更多钱。
Amazon wanted us to spend money we didn't have, so they gave us even more money.
我当时就想,这恰恰说明这种行为是有问题的。
And I'm like, well, that's precisely why this is a questionable behavior.
但这种情况变得越来越严重了。
But it's gotten bigger.
英伟达在分发资金,然后英伟达给了CoreWeave资金,但同时也同意购买他们剩下的任何服务。
Nvidia's handing out money and then Nvidia gave CoreWeave money, but then also agreed to buy any services they have left over.
这些东西并不理想。
This stuff's not ideal.
比如,如果你要说,什么是清晰、干净的会计处理?
Like if you were to say, what's crisp, clean accounting?
你就不会做这种事。
You wouldn't do these kind of things.
有些人会说,这并不重要。
And some of them say, well, it's not material.
而我会说,那你们为什么还要做呢?
And which I would say, well, then why are you doing it?
我曾问过其他人,试图理解即使是大型、成熟的公司,也可能变得投机,这里用的是之前讨论中的一个词。
And I've asked other people to try and understand how even big sophisticated companies might get speculative, using a word from the previous discussion.
我知道有人会说,当你赢钱的时候,损失厌恶感往往会降低。
And, you know, I hear things like, well, loss aversion tends to go down when you're winning.
比如,如果你在赌场连赢,就会冒更大的风险,诸如此类。
Like, if you're on a hot streak in a casino, you take more risk, things like that.
但这让我感到惊讶。
But it is surprising to me.
因此,在零售投资者方面,我认为在当前人工智能发展的这个阶段,他们尤其值得关注,因为现在有大量SPV工具。
So when it comes to retail investors, I would be particularly concerned for them at this stage in the AI game because there is a plethora of SPV vehicles.
我相信你一定听过这个说法,SPV就是某人对某个投资有内部渠道,然后设立一个一次性风险投资基金。
You've heard that phrase, I'm sure SBV is where someone has an in on an investment and they do a one off VC fund, if you will.
特殊目的载体。
Special purpose vehicle.
对。
Yeah.
它是一个仅为
It's a single entity just for
投资于单一项目的实体。
that invest one in x.
我们分配了若干资金,然后他们可以让简·多伊和约翰·多伊等人参与进来
We have an allocation of however much money, and then they can allow sort of Jane Doe and John Doe potentially
并且他们会从中抽取佣金。
And they take a rake on it.
有些人正在推广SPV,但他们实际上根本没有底层股票,或者只是希望获得股票。
There's people promoting SPVs in situations where they don't even actually have the underlying stock, or maybe they hope to get it.
这简直就是狂野的西部。
It's the wild wild west.
在这一边缘地带的大多数人,我会归类为闯入者或投机者。
And most of the people on that edge, I would put in the category of interloper, carpetbagger.
这些人是后来才加入这个领域的。
These are people that have come to this thing.
我认为你必须非常谨慎。
And I just think you gotta be quite careful.
那些已经获得百倍以上回报的投资,都是在这件事开始之前很久就完成的。
The investments that were made that have already had 100 x plus returns were made a while ago, before this thing started.
但这并不意味着未来不会有新的AI投资能赚钱,我认为会有的。
But that's not to say there won't be an incremental AI investment that makes money, I think there will.
但你现在能成功的机会真的非常非常低。
But your odds right now of that being the case are really, really low.
是的。
Yeah.
我想补充一点,这同样适用于我,但如果你没有经历过大幅回撤,你实际的风险承受能力可能与你感知的风险承受能力大不相同。
I would add to that and say, this applies to me as much as anyone else, but your actual risk tolerance may differ, probably does differ significantly from your perceived risk tolerance if you haven't had a huge drawdown.
对吧?
Right?
如果你从未亲身体验过几次这种波动,看看自己在那种情况下会如何反应,那你应该对自身在面对这些情况时的胆识,或者你能承受的亏损程度,保持一定的怀疑态度。
If you haven't actually ridden a few of those waves and see how you respond in those circumstances, And you should be, I suppose, skeptical of how you view your own intestinal fortitude with some of those things or maybe the losses you can absorb.
我记得,这种情况我见过很多次了,尤其是在这类SPV中,人们会参与进来。
So I recall, for instance, I've seen this many, many times, but with these types of SPVs, people get involved.
假设他们通常并不是天使投资人。
And let's just say they're not typically an angel investor.
他们没有经历过自己的投资中有六成、七成、八成归零或变成‘行尸走肉’的经验。
They don't have the experience of watching sixty, seventy, 80% of their investments go to zero or become The Walking Dead.
但他们还是签署了所有SPV的服务条款——这些条款虽然不一定是免责协议,但都明确写着:你可能会损失全部投资。
And they sign off on all of the not necessarily waivers, but they accept accept accept like the SPV terms of service, which all say, you could lose all of your investment.
这风险极高。
This is incredibly risky.
是的。
Yeah.
但当它真的归零时,财务和心理上的影响是毁灭性的。
But then when it does go to zero, you know, the financial and psychological impact is catastrophic.
有很多人,我认为他们的出发点非常好。
There's a lot of people, and I think this comes from a very good place.
他们非常有善意,看到这个世界后会说,收入不平等日益加剧,为什么每个人不能享有同样的机会?
I think they're very well intentioned, who look at the world and say rising inequality, like, why can't everyone have access to the same things?
而公司上市的时间越来越晚,因此他们认为需要让普通公众具备投资私营公司的能力。
And then companies are staying private longer, so they say we need to institutionalize the generic public's ability to invest in private companies.
我认为有两个问题,其中一个你刚刚提到,那就是大多数由风投支持的私营公司最终都会归零,占大多数,而人们并不意识到这一点。他们想要的是彩票奖券,想要的是优步,想要的是能飞上天的那一个,但他们不明白这背后必然伴随着其他结果。
I think there's two problems, one you just hinted at, which is most private company VC backed even go to zero, like the majority, which is not something people they sense that they want the lottery ticket, they want the Uber, they want the one that goes to the moon, but they don't understand that that comes along with it.
他们不想连续十二年购买亏损的彩票。
They don't wanna buy losing lottery tickets for twelve years.
对。
Right.
对。
Right.
没错。
Exactly.
第二个问题是,私人公司的信息透明度非常低。
And the second problem is the information transparency in the private company game is just low.
我认为机构投资者已经意识到这一点,了解自己在参与什么,也知道如何评估这些投资。
And I think the institutional investors have come to understand that and kind of know what they're getting into and know how to evaluate things.
但如果你带着公开市场的思维来看待,以为我拿到的每一份财务报表都是经过审计且准确的,那就大错特错了。
But if you come at it with a public market mindset thinking, oh, every set of financials I've been handed is audited and is correct, and that's just not the case.
这简直太随意了。
It's super loosey goosey.
所以,如果你现在在做天使投资,这可能是个难题,但你会如何思考你的投资策略?
So if you were this may be a difficult question, but if you were angel investing right now, how would you be thinking about your approach?
我给你讲个有趣的故事。
I'll tell you a funny story.
当我决定退役,不再从事机构风险投资时,我有很多关于接下来想做什么的想法。
When I decided to hang up my gloves, if you will, and stop making institutional venture capital investments, I had a whole bunch of ideas about what I wanted to do next.
其中之一就是,我要做一批天使投资。
And one of them was, I'll do a bunch of angel investing.
贝索斯就是抽空做的,这简直太棒了。
Bezos did it on the side, this would be fantastic.
他做天使投资做得相当不错。
He did pretty well with his I angel
我向一位硅谷CEO——我不会说出是谁——解释了这件事,他非常成功。
was explaining this to a, I won't say who it is, but a Silicon Valley CEO, very successful.
他问我:‘你现在打算做什么?’
And he said, what are gonna do now?
我说:‘我正考虑做天使投资。’
I said, I was thinking of doing angel investing.
他问:‘你为什么要这么做?’
He goes, why would you do that?
他说:‘我有五十个这样的项目。’
He said, I got 50 of these things.
人们都不回我电话。
People don't return my calls.
他说:‘我真希望我没做过这个。’
He goes, I wish I'd never done it.
所以,这件事既有不光彩的一面,也有光鲜的一面,而你也参与其中。
So there's a unglamorous side to it as much as there is a glamorous side, and you've participated in this.
我会说什么呢?
What would I say?
我认为,如果我要做天使投资,我会试着找到那些极度好奇、正在使用各种AI工具,但又能带来特定行业视角的人,这样他们就能在该领域获得优势。
I think if I were doing angel investments, I'd try and find him an intersection of people that are super curious and are playing with all these AI tools, but bring a perspective from a particular industry that gives them an advantage in that area.
他们可以同时成为自己领域中最懂AI的人。
Where they could simultaneously be maybe the smartest user of AI in their genre.
所以,尽管有AI泡沫,或者正是因为这个泡沫,如果你进行天使投资,仍然会关注AI交叉领域的机会。
So despite the or maybe because of because we talked about the pair, the AI bubble, would still be looking at AI intersected opportunities if you're angel investing.
是的。
Yeah.
现在外面有一种奇怪的现实,即使泡沫最终破裂,机构投资者对非AI项目也完全不感兴趣。
There's a weird reality out there right now and this could end if ever a bubble is popped or whatever, but the institutional investors have zero interest in non AI deals.
完全不感兴趣。
Zero.
这种情况比我能想象的还要黑白分明。
It's more black and white than I could be successful in
做那些连‘机构投资者’这个词都不知道的人。
doing who do not know the term, define the institutional investor.
那些靠薪水和投资回报分成作为报酬、用别人的钱积极进行投资的人。
People who are paid both a salary and a piece of the return to be active investors of other people's money, using other people's money.
但这一点之所以重要,是因为如果你进行天使投资,并希望该项目未来能融到资,那么现在如果它不是AI相关项目,就可能
But the reason that kind of matters is if you angel fund a deal and have any hope of it raising money in the future, if it's not AI related, right now Could
因忽视而死亡。
die of neglect.
根本没有兴趣。
There is no interest.
我再怎么强调都不为过,现在真的完全没有兴趣。
I can't state clearly enough how there's zero interest.
我一方面可以嘲笑这种现实,另一方面也能理解这种现实,但这就是当前的现实。
And I could simultaneously make fun of that reality, but I could also justify that reality, but it is the reality right now.
顺便说一下,既然提到了这一点,我觉得有义务对你们的观众说几句。
And by the way, while I mention that, I feel obligated for your audience.
不管你从事哪个领域,都该去玩一玩这些东西。
Don't care what field you're in, you should be playing with this stuff.
它有可能影响你在职业生涯中的角色,而抵御AI让你的职业被边缘化或取代的最好方式,就是成为你能做到的最擅长使用AI的自己。
It has the potential to impact your role in your career And the best way to protect against any risk of your career being obfuscated or eliminated from AI is to be the most AI enabled version of yourself you can possibly be.
简单感谢一下我们的赞助商,我们马上回来继续节目。
Just a quick thanks to our sponsors, and we'll be right back to the show.
所以 Our Place 联系我,希望成为潜在的赞助商。
So Our Place reached out to me as a potential sponsor.
我第一件事就是查看了他们产品的评价,然后说:寄一个给我,那就是钛合金永续煎锅。
And the first thing I did was look at the reviews of their products and said, send me one, and that is the titanium always pan pro.
他们的宣传是,这是第一款无涂层的不粘锅。
And the claim is that it's the first nonstick pan with zero coating.
这意味着完全没有永久性化学物质,而且耐用性可以永久保持。
So that means zero forever chemicals and durability that'll last forever.
我非常怀疑。
I was very skeptical.
我当时非常忙。
I was very busy.
所以我想,算了。
So I said, you know what?
我想快速测试一下这个东西。
I wanna test this thing quickly.
我打算用两样东西来测试它。
I'm gonna test it with two things.
我打算早上用炒鸡蛋测试,然后用煎牛排测试。
I'm gonna test it with scrambled eggs in the morning, and then I'm gonna test it with a steak sear.
在这两种情况下它都表现完美,而且设计非常巧妙。
And it worked perfectly in both cases, and the design is really clever.
它将不锈钢、铸铁和不粘锅的最佳特性融合到了一个产品中。
It does combine the best qualities of stainless steel, cast iron, and nonstick into one product.
现在,Our Place 正将这种首创技术扩展到他们的钛合金 Pro 炊具套装,这些套装产量有限。
And now Our Place is expanding this first of its kind technology to their titanium pro cookware sets, which are made in limited quantities.
所以,如果你正在寻找无毒、持久耐用且性能远超你厨房里其他炊具的锅具,就去 ourplace.com 吧。
So if you're looking for nontoxic, long lasting pots and pans that outperform everything else in your kitchen, just head to ourplace.com.
使用代码 save 10 Tim,可在 Our Place 钛合金炊具的节日促销价基础上再享额外 10% 折扣。
Save an extra 10% off holiday sale prices on titanium cookware from our place with code save 10 Tim.
前往 ourplace.com,看看为什么超过一百万人已经转用 Our Place 厨具。
Head to from ourplace.com to see why more than a million people have made the switch to Our Place kitchenware.
加上他们提供的一百天无风险试用、免费配送和免费退货,您可以完全放心购物。
And with their one hundred day risk free trial, free shipping, and free returns, you can shop with total confidence.
前往 ourplace.com 了解详情。
Check it out from ourplace.com.
别说我老顽固,但在2000年代初,当我经营自己的电子商务业务时,那些工具简直糟糕透顶。
Not to be a salty old dog, but in the early two thousands, back in the day when I was running my own ecommerce business, the tools were atrocious.
他们确实很努力,但真的太差了。
They tried hard, but man, was it bad.
不得不拼凑各种乱七八糟的东西。
Had to cobble all sorts of stuff together.
我那时连想都不敢想有 Shopify 这样的平台。
I could only dream of a platform like Shopify.
Shopify 是全球数百万企业的电子商务平台,如今美国10%的电子商务都基于 Shopify。
Shopify is the ecommerce platform behind millions of businesses around the world, and now 10% of all ecommerce in The US is on Shopify.
回到2000年代初,那时根本没人想过人工智能。
Now back to the early two thousands, then nobody even thought of AI.
谁能想到,就在过去二十四个月里,AI竟然能带来如此神奇的变革?
Who could have predicted, even in the last twenty four months, the magic that is now possible with AI?
Shopify 一直走在前沿,内置了大量实用的AI工具,能加速一切工作:撰写产品描述、页面标题,甚至优化产品摄影。
Shopify has been ahead of the curve, and they are packed with helpful AI tools that will accelerate everything, write product descriptions, page headlines, even enhance your product photography.
最重要的是,Shopify 专业地处理从库存管理到国际物流,再到退货处理等所有事务。
Best of all, Shopify expertly handles everything from managing inventory to international shipping to processing returns and beyond.
如果你准备好了要销售,那么你就准备好使用 Shopify 了。
If you're ready to sell, you're ready for Shopify.
立即注册每月1美元的试用版,今天就开始在 shopify.com/tim 上销售吧。
Sign up for your $1 per month trial and start selling today at shopify.com/tim.
再强调一次,是 shopify.com/tim。
1 more time, that's shopify.com/tim.
到2026年,别再等待,立即用 Shopify 开始销售。
In 2026, stop waiting and start selling with Shopify.
作为天使投资人,你会如何思考去寻找那些拥有极其专业领域知识和经验、如今又与AI交汇、并因此获得独特视角的人?这与那些只是被大型公司基础模型所吸纳的项目截然不同。
How would you think about maybe you can give a hypothetical example of looking for someone who has very, very sophisticated domain expertise and experience, who's now intersecting with AI and has a unique, because of the combination perspective on things to invest in as an angel investor, separate that from something that's just going to be consumed by the fundamental models in these larger companies that
从职业角度来看?
From a career perspective?
还是?
Or?
从天使投资的角度来看,你会如何挑选那些不会仅仅被大公司迅速复制的团队?
From an angel investment perspective, how would you pick folks you don't think are just going to end up working on something that gets replicated in short order by the bigger companies?
关键是尽量远离那些你在网上就能看到 Anthropic 或 OpenAI 人员访谈中正在做的事情的前沿领域。
The key is just to stay pretty far away from the edge of whatever you can go online and see interviews with the people in Anthropic or OpenAI and what they're working on.
如果那是他们接下来要做的,我认为你不会得到保护。
Like, if it's the next thing they're going to do, I don't think you're going to be protected.
但当我思考创始人和天使投资者时,你谈论的是一系列非常广泛的事情。
But as I think about founders and angel investors, you're talking about a pretty broad array of things.
目前,正如我之前提到的,你不会投资下一个大型模型公司。
At this point, as I mentioned earlier, you're not gonna back the next big model company.
再说,如果你真想投,你需要十亿美元的天使投资才能实现。
Besides, if you were, you need a billion dollar angel investment to go make that happen.
游戏已经变了。
The game's changed.
涉及的资金太多了。
There's so much money involved.
我认为无论如何你都应该避开主流路径。
I think you're gonna wanna be off the beaten path anyway.
当我思考这些更深的垂直领域时,我认为OpenAI不会去碾压每一个小垂直领域。
When I think about these deeper verticals, I don't think it will make sense for OpenAI to go crush every little vertical.
废物管理。
Waste management.
即使
Even if
即使模型能够理解该领域的知识,仍然存在与客户相关的流程和数据集,这些东西必须被整合起来。
the model's capable of understanding that subject matter, there are workflows, there are data sets that are local to your customer, and that stuff has to be stitched together.
因此,我认为了解某个特定行业,尤其是不会出现在OpenAI下一步计划中的行业,可能是你最好的选择。
So I think having an understanding of a particular industry and one that's not gonna be on the next thing to do list at OpenAI would probably be your best bet.
明白了。
Got it.
所以,如果我理解得没错的话,你是在寻找那些不会成为这些大公司优先事项、并且拥有某种专有数据集的领域吗?
So is it fair to say if I'm understanding you correctly that effectively looking for something that would not be a high priority for one of these larger companies and also proprietary dataset of some type?
专有数据集越好,存在的工作流程越多就越有利,因为你可以围绕这些内容构建软件。
Proprietary datasets, the more kind of workflows that exist are better because you can build software around those things.
什么是工作流程?
What is a workflow?
我想到的一个例子是,我是Zillow的董事会成员。
The thing that popped in my head, I'm on the board of Zillow.
过去五年,Zillow一直在投资开发帮助房地产经纪人完成日常工作的工具。
Zillow's been investing for the past five years in tools that help the realtor do their day to day job.
他们有一个名为Showing Time的工具,可以帮助你预约房屋的实地看房,就是一个例子。
They have a tool called Showing Time that helps you book in person tours at houses, as an example.
还有办理抵押贷款、获取签字审批等流程。
There's putting the mortgage together, getting the sign offs on.
所有这些任务都可以被自动化。
There's just all these tasks that have to be happened that can be automated.
因此,能够被自动化、并能与人工智能集成的任务越多,你就越能保护自己免受那种仅仅回答问题的模型的影响,这就是我提起这一点的原因。
And so tasks that can be automated, that can be integrated with AI, the more of that stuff you can build into a system, the better off you're gonna be protecting yourself from a model that just answers questions, which is why I brought it up.
我们来谈谈另一个大话题——中国。
Let's move on to big topic, big country, China.
你去年夏天在那里待了十天。
You spent ten days there over the past summer.
你的体验如何?
What was your experience?
你看到了什么?
What did you see?
什么给你留下了深刻印象?
What made an impression?
你做了些什么?
What did you do?
我以前去过大约六次,所以这是我的第七次旅行。
I've been about six times before, so this is like my seventh trip.
有一件事不一样。
There was one thing that was different.
我女儿主修亚洲研究,就像你一样。
My daughter is an Asian studies major, as you were.
是的。
Yeah.
她夏天待在香港。
And she spent the summer in Hong Kong.
所以我们接上她,然后在十天内游览了六个城市。
So we picked her up and then we toured six cities in 10.
过去几次旅行,我的目标主要是与企业家和创始人会面,进行信息交流之类的活动。
And my objective with this trip in the past trips, it was mostly just to meet with entrepreneurs and founders and mutual sharing of information, that kind of thing.
这次我更想敞开心扉,好好学习。
This time I was more interested in just kind of being eyes wide open and learning.
所以我们乘坐了两次高速列车,只是为了体验一下。
And so we took two of the high speed trains just as an experience set.
我参观了小米工厂,了解了他们的新车SU7,试图感受那里最新的动态。
I got a tour of the Xiaomi factory with their new car, the SU seven, and was trying to get a feel for what's kind of most recent there.
我们还去了深圳,这座一夜之间从1980年不到十万人口增长到两千万人口的城市。
And we went to Shenzhen, the overnight city which has gone from, I think, less than 100,000 people in 1980 to 20,000,000 people.
只是为了感受整个规模和格局。
Just to see the scale and scope of the whole thing.
美国对中国的现状有很多言辞,说这说那。
There's a lot of rhetoric in The US about what is or isn't happening in China.
我只是想更真切地了解实际情况。
And I just wanted to have a better feel for it.
我们正在做出会影响全球格局的政策决策,天啊,千万别演变成第三次世界大战那样的局面。
And we're making policy decisions that are gonna impact the global footprint and God forbid, end up in a World War three kind of situation.
所以,我只是想获得更好的理解。
So anyway, I just wanted a better understanding.
在我出发前,丹·王把他的书《破晓》分享给了我,这对我很有帮助。
I was aided by the fact that Dan Wong shared his book Breakneck with me right before I left.
我在那里时读了这本书,这很有趣。
And I read it while I was there, which was interesting.
后来这本书出版了,自然登上了畅销书榜单。
And then it came out and of course it ended up on the bestseller list.
但我认为中国在很多方面都被误解了。
But I think China's misperceived in a lot of ways.
这些误解有哪些呢?
What are some of those misperceptions?
最大的误解是,那些对那里发生的事情只有肤浅了解的人,用‘共产主义’这个词推断出许多其他东西。
The biggest one is that people who have a rudimentary understanding of what is happening there use this word communism to infer a lot of other things.
而共产主义常被推断为一种自上而下的国家主导体系。
And one of the things that's inferred by communism is top down state run system.
他们想到的是俄罗斯。
I think they think of Russia.
他们假设,这必然会导致资本配置不良、缺乏创新,因为他们脑海中描绘的景象是:我不知道,也许是被白雪覆盖的砖楼,没什么动静。
And they assume, well, that'll always lead to bad capital allocation, no innovation, because they have this picture in their mind of, I don't know, brick buildings with snow all around them and not much happening.
嗯。
Mhmm.
而那里的现实与这种想象截然不同。
And the reality there is just far, far different from that.
我认为丹·王很好地解释了国家如何制定五年计划,但各省——虽然比美国的州大得多,但相当于国家的子单元——它们之间会相互竞争。
I think Dan Wong did a great job of explaining how the country puts out this five year plan, but then the provinces, which are they're a lot bigger than a US state, but they're the equivalent, like the title of the country segment, they compete with each other.
而各省的实际负责人如果表现优异,就有机会在体制内晋升,这与美国的体制现实不同。
And the effective mayor of the province, if he does well, has a chance to move up in the system, which is not the reality in The US system.
但这就导致了极其激烈的竞争。
But what that leads to is just a massive amount of competition.
他们是以什么指标来评判的呢?
What are the metrics by which they're being judged?
你对省级层面的评判标准有什么了解吗?
Do you have any idea on a province level?
这是类似于GDP的指标吗?
Is it some equivalent of GDP?
这不是准确的说法,但是。
It's not the right term, but.
我猜大概是吧。
I'm guessing probably.
我们可以去问问AI,它们现在能给出比我还好的答案。
Like, we could go talk to AI and get a better answer than I have right now.
嗯。
Yeah.
但没错,我认为这是其中一部分。
But, yeah, I would think that's part of it.
繁荣、就业,诸如此类的指标。
Prosperity, employment, those kind of things.
顺便说一下,这种省级竞争也导致了建筑过度建设。
By the way, this provincial competition has also led to overbuild the buildings.
这并不总是积极的,比如那些无人使用的桥梁,还有
It's not always positive, bridges that aren't used, there's a
鬼城。
Ghost cities.
鬼城,没错。
Ghost cities, yes.
但最终会导致过度竞争。
But you end up with hyper competition.
所以我认为,硅谷很多人喜欢资本主义的原因在于‘看不见的手’这一理念——竞争推动创新和最佳实践,优胜者脱颖而出,变得更好。
So I think the thing that a lot of people in Silicon Valley love about capitalism is this notion of the invisible hand and competition that leads to innovation and best practice, and the winners rise up and they're better for it.
这种情况在那里正在发生。
That is happening there.
如果你了解太阳能行业、电动汽车行业,或者现在的机器人行业,就会发现这些领域有数百家公司激烈竞争,竞争非常残酷。
And if you read about the solar industry or the EV industry or now the robotics industry, they have hundreds of different companies competing in these fields and it's brutal competition.
因此,他们最终催生了极具创新性的公司,而这一点,人们原本认为在共产主义世界是不可能实现的,但他们在工业执行方面却表现得极为出色。
And as a result of that, they're ending up with very innovative companies, which once again I think people wouldn't prescribe to being possible in a communist world, and remarkable execution from an industrial standpoint.
因此,这些产品在全球销售的价格远低于任何其他地方所能达到的水平。
So the price points of the products that will be sold around the globe are well below anything that could be done.
你如何安排参观小米工厂?
How do you go about getting a tour of Xiaomi Factory?
我觉得他们应该会对此非常保密。
I would think that they would be very closed about that.
我不知道你昨天有没有看到网上流传的这个消息,他们把一辆车寄给了这位YouTube博主。
I don't know if you saw this going around the Internet yesterday, but they shipped a car to this YouTuber.
哦,是的。
Oh, yeah.
我看到了。
I saw it.
没错。
Absolutely.
太棒了。
Brilliant.
这就是S G 7。
And that's the S G 7.
那就是我参观的工厂。
That's the factory I went to.
正如我提到的,我以前去过那里。
As I mentioned, I had been there before.
所以我在2005年认识了雷军,当时他是卓越网的董事长,而卓越网后来被亚马逊收购了。
So I met Lei Jun, who's the founder of Xiaomi in 2005 when he was chairman of JoYo, which was a e commerce company that Amazon bought.
所以他早就活跃在业界了。
So he's been around a while.
他如今的发展可以说是他成了中国现在的史蒂夫·乔布斯。
He has evolved into the best thing I could say is like he's the Steve Jobs of China right now.
当他离开卓越网,同时还在经营另一家公司时,十年前他就宣布要造一部智能手机。
When he quit doing JoJo and he had this other company as well, he declared ten years ago he's gonna build a smartphone.
毫无预兆地,他说我要造一部智能手机。
Just out of the blue, I'm gonna build a smartphone.
他没有任何智能手机经验,但小米如今已成为全球第三大手机制造商。
He didn't have any smartphone experience, but Xiaomi is now the third largest manufacturer of handsets in the globe.
大约四五年前,就在苹果暗示对造车感兴趣的同时,他说:我要造一辆车。
And about four or five years ago, at about the exact same time Apple hinted they were interested in building a car, he said, I'm going to build a car.
他不仅说要造车,而且这是对制裁的回应。
Well, not only did he say, I'm gonna build a car, but that was a response to sanctions.
对吧?
Right?
那是一场紧急情况。
It was an emergency.
我听了其中一场演讲的翻译,尽管我的中文还不错,但已经不如从前了。
I listened to one of well, I listened to the translation of even though my Chinese is decent, but it's not as good as it once was.
我认为那是2024年。
His I think it was 2024
就是这样。
That's it.
他在公司全员大会上谈到即将来临的制裁,提出:如果我们不能制造手机该怎么办?
Company wide address where he talked about sanctions coming in saying, what if we couldn't make phones?
我们该怎么办?
What would we do?
但那次讲话令人难以置信,YouTube上有翻译版本,我建议大家从30分钟到1小时15分钟左右观看,那里他谈到了自己设计汽车的过程。
But that talk is unbelievable and it's translated on YouTube, and I would encourage people to watch from about minute thirty to about a minute fifteen or an hour fifteen, which is where he talks about his process for designing the car.
我不知道你有没有看过那一部分。
I don't know if you saw that part.
是的,我看了。
Yeah, I did.
但这太疯狂了。
But it's crazy.
他说,他在停车场里每辆他从未开过的车上都贴了一张便条。
He says he put a note on any car in his parking lot that he had never drove.
他会让每位员工给他三个优点、三个缺点,并借走那辆车。
And he would ask each employee to give him three positives, three negatives and loan him the car.
展开剩余字幕(还有 480 条)
所以他驾驶了自己200名员工的汽车。
So he drove 200 of his employees cars.
当你听到这种事时,你会想:哇。
Like, when you hear that kind of stuff, you're like, wow.
我想知道苹果公司有没有人这样做过。
I wonder if anyone at Apple did that.
我的意思是,这是一种非常自下而上、真正贴近现实的启动方式。
I mean, it's just such a kind of bottomed up, like just ground truth way to start the process.
但即便如此,即使很多人能这么做,你又如何有能力去建造一座工厂呢?
But even still, even if you did that, like a bunch of people could do that, how do you have the wherewithal to build a factory?
他们以前从未建造过工厂。
They've never built a factory before.
我曾在美国其他汽车工厂待过。
I've been in other car factories here in The US.
那真是令人惊叹。
It was phenomenal.
总之,回到你问的我为什么介入,是因为我早就认识雷军。
Anyway, back to your question why I had get in, is I knew Lei Jun from from way back.
这个过程是什么样的?
What does the process look like?
需要很多审批吗?得获得省级部门的批准吗?
Are there a bunch of clearances and you have to get the okay from the provincial?
我们没走完整个工厂,但不是那样的。
Don't think we went through the whole factory, but no, it wasn't that.
我的意思是,他们是一家上市公司。
I mean, they're a public company.
我认为他们希望被充分理解,这或许解释了他们为何允许这件事发生。
I think they're interested in being well understood, which I think hints at why they enabled this.
我认为他们得给这位YouTube博主送一辆车。
I think they had to send a car to this guy, the YouTuber.
是的。
Yeah.
顺便说一下,福特的总裁在我去之前大约六个月也去了那里,参加了同样的参观。
And by the way, the president of Ford went over there about six months before I did, went on the same tour.
所以他们让他去了。
So they let him go there.
他还让人把一辆SU7运到了密歇根州,开了好几个星期,并且谈到了它有多么出色。
And he had an SU-seven shipped to Michigan, and he drove it for several weeks, and he's talked about how incredible it is.
另外,如果我没记错的话,他还谈过中国在电动汽车生产以及电池或至少关键零部件方面的主导地位,以及其中蕴含的风险。
Well, he also, if I'm remembering correctly, has talked about EV production and battery dominance or at least component dominance from China and the sort of risks inherent in that.
我不太想过多涉及地缘政治,但很难不把这一点带入讨论中。
And I don't I don't wanna bleed too far into geopolitics, but it's hard not to pull it into the conversation.
所以这是一个来自X的问题,X就是那个前身为Twitter的人。
So this is a question from X, the artist formerly known as Twitter.
众多问题中的一个。
One of many questions.
但我还是要问,你在参观中国之后,对中国科技生态系统或中共最主要的几点批评是什么?
But I'll ask, what are your top handful of critiques, say, of the Chinese tech ecosystem or CCP after going on a tour there?
你认为他们在哪些方面做得不好,或者有哪些因素阻碍了他们的竞争力?
What would you say they're not doing well or things that complicate their ability to compete?
我认为第一个被广泛报道的问题是,当一位企业家取得成功后,试图利用这一平台发声时,政府似乎对此并不感兴趣。
Well, the first one that I think been well publicized is when an entrepreneur has risen to a level of success and then uses that as a platform, the government seems uninterested in that.
这就是一个例证。
Exhibit it.
比如马云。
The Jack Ma.
对。
Yeah.
我听说在中国时听过一句话:不要做最高的那棵树。
And there's a saying that I think I heard while I was over there, don't be the tallest tree.
对。
Yeah.
这就是:不要做最高的那棵树。
This is, don't be the tallest tree.
是的。
Yeah.
在日本,出头的钉子会被敲下去。
The nail that sticks out gets hammered down in Japan.
他们显然有着完全不同的体系。
They have a totally different system, obviously.
除了勒茹内之外,另一位企业家是字节跳动的首席执行官。
The other entrepreneur outside of Lejune is the ByteDance CEO.
字节跳动目前在消费级AI领域可能处于领先地位,类似于OpenAI,而且除了惊人的收入增长外,还有其他优势。
And ByteDance is probably got the leading position for the consumer AI, like OpenAI, but over there right now, in addition to just incredible revenue growth.
这是一家拥有TikTok等产品的公司。
This is the company that owned TikTok and whatnot.
但他们没有上市,你也完全看不到他,这可能与‘不要做最高的树’这个说法有关。
But they're not going public and you don't see him at all, which may get to this tallest tree thing.
是的。
Yeah.
我的意思是,那里的名人也会消失,这毫无疑问。
I mean, celebrities also disappear over there No doubt.
非常神秘地。
Very mysteriously.
是的。
Yes.
还有商人。
Well, and business people.
没错。
Yeah.
所以,是的,这种事情确实会发生。
So, yes, that does happen.
我要说一下,对于那些感到困惑的人,因为有很多我们该怎么说呢?
I will say, and for people who are wondering, because there are a lot of how should we put this?
我的意思是,有些人非常愤怒,非常鹰派。
I mean, there are people who are very angry, very hawkish.
有些人非常支持,但他们的议程或联盟却受到质疑。
Some people are very, very supportive, and then their agendas or alliances get questioned.
我和你一样,只是希望尽可能了解正在发生的事情。
I, like you, am just interested in understanding what is happening to the extent that I can.
实际情况到底是什么?
What is the actual truth on the ground?
细节是什么?
What are the details?
坦白说,那边的创新非常了不起,他们在获取稀有金属和制造所需的一切方面所取得的成就令人惊叹。你去南美洲或非洲,基础设施项目上到处都是中国人的身影。
And frankly, I mean, the innovation over there is remarkable and what they've done in terms of establishing access to rare metals and everything they need to manufacture is remark you go to South America or Africa, and it is Chinese everywhere on infrastructure projects.
我的意思是,他们在这方面非常非常聪明。
I mean, they've been very, very smart about it.
所以我对这一切都深感兴趣,请别急着回答,我想听听你所有的看法。
So I'm deeply interested in all of it, and please hold your thought because I wanna hear everything you have to say.
我想说,让我印象深刻的是中国当局在下这盘三维棋时的高明之处:他们能够很好地与私营部门整合,从而以某种方式利用产品来扩大其影响力范围,比如大疆就是一个绝佳的例子。
What I would say is a piece of the, like, three-dimensional chess that I've been impressed with is how well the Chinese government is able to well, I mean, of course, they're able to integrate with the private sector so that they're able to use, in a sense, products to widen their scope of access potentially, like DJI, for instance, great example.
这些汽车尽管非常出色,但人们对此有很多疑问。
People have a lot of questions around these cars as spectacular as they might be.
它们是监控的延伸吗?
Are they an extension of surveillance?
这些都是我认为值得探讨的开放性问题。
These are open questions that I think are worth asking.
让我先说一点,然后再回到这个话题。
Let me make one point and then let's come to that.
我想再提另外两件事。
So there's two other things I wanted to mention.
显然,是基础设施。
Obviously, infrastructure.
他们正在建造新的核裂变电站。
So they are building new nuclear fission plants.
裂变技术是传统技术,但成本只有我们在美国建造时的四分之一。
So fission being old school, not new school at one fourth the price that we do it here in The US.
顺便说一下,韩国也是如此。
So is South Korea by the way.
是的,这些数字简直惊人。
Yeah, and the numbers are incredible.
但当我们坐在这里说,我们想把制造业回流,而他们能以我们四分之一的价格制造产品时。
But when we sit here and say, oh, we wanna reshor manufacturing and they can build things at one fourth the price we can.
如果你不解决这个问题,你回流的将是某些东西,而我们将在全球价格上失去竞争力。
If you don't solve that, you're gonna reshor something and we're gonna not be price competitive globally.
因为你不会进口他们的东西,而会让你的公民从这个新工厂购买价格高得多的产品。
Because you won't import what they have and you're gonna make our citizens buy from this new factory where we're making things way more expensive.
这行不通。
It doesn't work.
数学自己会说话。
The math does the math.
顺便说一句,我不确定这能带来就业机会。
And by the way, I'm not sure it brings jobs.
根据我获得的一些数据,小米工厂每生产一辆车所需的员工数量只有三分之一。
The Xiaomi factory was a third, based on some numbers I was able to acquire, a third the number of employees per car output.
我相信十年后,这个比例会降到六分之一。
And I got to believe in ten years it'll be a sixth.
因此,如果你把所有汽车生产都回流回来,可以计算出会带回多少就业岗位,那将是数十万级别。
And so you could calculate the total number of jobs you'd be bringing back if you brought back all this car production and it'd be hundreds of thousands.
这并不是数百万甚至上千万的就业岗位。
It's not millions and millions of jobs.
所以,无论如何,基础设施这个问题是真实存在的。
So anyway, that infrastructure thing's for real.
我认为丹·王很好地指出了,美国是由律师主导的
And I think Dan Wong does a good job of saying that America is run
而律师是这本书的作者
by And this lawyers is the author
我们的国家由律师主导,而他们的国家则由工程师主导。
of our country's run by lawyers and theirs is run by engineers.
工程师。
Engineers.
所以当你在这里试图建造一些东西时,律师们就会出来阻挠,这当然也解释了为什么埃隆说特斯拉的超级工厂建在奥斯汀而不是加州,所有这些都与此相关。
And so when you try and build something here, lawyers just get in the way and try and block it, which certainly when you hear Elon talks about why the Gigafactory is here in Austin and not in California, it all relates to those things.
所以,这就是基础设施的问题。
So anyway, that's infrastructure.
还有另一件我觉得很有趣的事,那就是政府可能并不关心本国公司的市值是否巨大。
There's another thing that's I think quite interesting, is the government may not care about whether or not their companies have really big market caps.
当我第一次意识到这一点时,你看到了阿里巴巴被打压、马云和蚂蚁金融被整治的情况,原本可能是一个巨大的机会,结果却被大幅削减了。
And when I first realized this, you know, you saw what happened when they took down Alibaba, when they went after Jack Ma and Ant Financial could have been this big thing and it got, you know, haircut.
你会质疑:他们真的在乎吗?
And you question, well, do they care?
如果你推动本国企业成为低成本供应商,这或许与它们追求超高利润和巨大规模相矛盾。
And if you are pushing your companies to be low cost providers, maybe that's at odds with them being hyper profitable and really big.
然后你就可以反过来问这个问题。
And then you can turn around and ask the question.
听到这些让我开始思考:美国真的因为这七家科技巨头拥有三万亿美元的市值而受益吗?
Hearing that caused me to ask the question, does America really benefit by the fact that the Mag seven have $3,000,000,000,000 market caps?
我知道这些公司的员工确实受益了,但这是否表明我们的竞争性资本主义社会其实并不真正具有竞争力?
I know the employees of those companies do, but is that a sign of our competitive capitalistic society not being truly competitive.
从全球范围来看。
On a global scale.
不。
No.
甚至在经济学课程中,你学到过一个概念,叫做完全竞争。
Even within like, there's a notion you learn about in economics classes called pure competition.
在完全竞争中,没有人拥有知识产权优势。
And in pure competition, no one has an intellectual property advantage.
边际利润被压缩到仅覆盖资本成本,消费者因此受益,因为没有超额利润的攫取。
Marginal profits are whittled down just to the cost of capital and the consumer benefits because there's no excessive profit capture.
如果我们有这么多公司都能获得超额利润,这是否是一种市场失灵?
If we have all these companies that are able to kind of have excessive profits, is that a form of market failure?
而且,它们的存在对美国有任何帮助吗?
And does the fact that they exist help America in any way?
起初,当然,作为一名风险投资家,我想说:当然有。
At first, of course, I'm a venture capitalist, I wanna think, yes, of course.
但当我深入思考时,我不确定我们的政府、社会或人民因为这六家公司拥有3万亿美元的市值而变得更好。
But then as I think about it, I don't know that our government or our society or our people are better off because these six companies have $3,000,000,000,000 market caps.
是的。
Yeah.
实际上,受雇于这些公司的员工占全国人口的比例很小。
It's not that many people that like, the percentage of the country that's employed by those companies is small on an overall basis.
我认为他们对大规模市值是否重要有不同看法,这在我看来有些引人深思。
I think they have a different perspective on whether big market caps matter, and I think that is somewhat intriguing.
你如何看待中国在某些领域引领创新,以更低的成本开发出更先进的技术,这可能是政府情报收集体系的延伸?
What do you think about the innovation in China leading in some cases to the development of superior technology at a lower cost that is plausibly an extension of the intelligence gathering apparatus of the government.
这是真实存在的吗?
Is that a real thing?
我不太了解情况。
I'm not in a good place to know.
我只能推测。
I would have to imagine.
考虑到他们渗透私营部门的能力,如果他们不利用这一点,那简直太愚蠢了。
It seems like they would have to be stupid not to use that given the their ability to penetrate private sector.
我觉得
I think
是的,没错。
it's yeah.
大家都知道,他们会对自己的人民进行监控。
I think it's certainly well known that they do surveillance of their own people.
我知道这尤其会让像格雷格·卢基亚诺夫这样的人感到不安,他经营着FIRE组织,非常关注言论自由。
And I know that would be particularly upsetting to people like Greg Lukianov that runs FIRE and is very interested in free speech.
另一方面,街头犯罪非常少。
The flip side is there's very little street crime.
你走在街上,到了那里就不会担心这个问题。
You walk around, you don't worry about that when you're there.
是的。
Yeah.
在日本也是如此。
It's true also in Japan though.
这并不能说明它是对是错。
Doesn't doesn't make it right or wrong.
它就是它本来的样子。
It's just it is what it is.
我不知道我们是否有能力去告诉他们必须怎么做。
And I don't know that we have this ability to kind of tell them how they have to do it.
至于华为的问题,他们的产品被出口后,被用来收集他们国家及世界各地的情报,这当然有问题。
Now to the extent that the Huawei stuff where their products are being shipped out and then those are used to gather intelligence out of their country and the rest of the world, of course that's a problem.
但我认为应对之道,我不是政治家,但我觉得应该采取接触策略,比如沟通你不喜欢和喜欢的地方,努力通过谈判解决这些问题,就像我们正在试图与芬太尼问题打交道那样。
But I think the way to deal with it, I'm not a politician, but I think the way to deal with it, I'm more of a believer of the engage, you know, like engage, talk about what you don't like and what you do like and try and negotiate that problem away like we're trying to do with the fentanyl prefers.
是的。
Yeah.
嗯,很久以前我主修东亚研究的时候,那已经是很久以前的事了。
Well, way back in the day when I was an East Asian studies major, this was lifetimes ago.
我要提醒一下,1996年我在首都经济贸易大学读书。
And keeping in mind, like, I was at the Capital University of Business Economics in 1996.
那时候是自行车时代。
That was the bicycle era.
你知道的,那些老照片里的北京,
You know, these old photographs of Beijing with
哦,是的。
Oh, yeah.
成千上万辆自行车,人们穿着长长的绿色外套。
Millions of bicycles with people in their long green jackets.
我冬天也有一件那样的外套。
I had one of those jackets for the winters.
天气真的很冷。
It gets really cold.
但情况已经改变了很多。
But things have changed a lot.
当时,我展望未来,觉得自己可能会成为那些能使用中文交流的人之一。
At the time, I was looking forward and thinking I might be one of those people who could engage in Chinese.
坦白说,出于种种原因,我认为用英语来做这件事是最好的方式。
I think the way to do it is in English, frankly, for a whole host of reasons.
但即使你懂另一种语言,比如普京英语说得很好,他进行所有谈判时仍选择用俄语,这有很多合理的原因。
But even if you speak the other language, like Putin speaks English pretty well, but he does all of his negotiations when he's speaking in Russian for a lot of good reasons.
是的。
Yeah.
首先,
First
总的来说,我甚至被一些回应你推文的人指责为中共的代理人。
of all, I do get accused of being like an agent of the CCP or something, even by some of the people that responded to your Twitter thing.
我不是,我只去过几次。
And I'm not, I've only visited a few times.
我认识政府里的人。
I don't know anybody in government.
但我非常担心,如果我们误解了真实情况,就会做出错误的政策决定。
But I worry greatly that we make bad policy decisions if we misunderstand what's really going on.
不,我同意这一点。
No, I agree with that.
我完全同意。
I fully agree with that.
我的意思是,我确实一直在思考这个问题,我真的很担心。
I mean, I've thought about I frankly am worried about it.
我会拿一个一次性手机和一台一次性笔记本电脑。
I mean, I would take a burner phone and a burner laptop.
我考虑过,因为我希望更好地理解那种能够培育出来的创新文化,以及事情究竟是怎样的,只要它们能被我察觉到。
I've thought about it because I wanna get a better understanding of the culture of innovation that can be fostered and exactly how things are to the extent that it would be visible to me.
中国的发展情况。
How things are developing in China.
我考虑过去那里。
I've thought about going there.
我也想过在印度做同样的事,去采访十位顶尖的企业家。
I've thought about doing the same thing in India too to go and interview, like, 10 of the top entrepreneurs.
但我没去的原因是,我只是觉得,我不清楚这会把我置于怎样的监控之下,会引发什么样的 Surveillance,会有多困难,我得去巴结谁。
But the reason I haven't done it is that I'm just like, I don't know what radars that's gonna put me on, what kind of surveillance, what kind of fill in the blank, how difficult is it gonna be, whose rings am I gonna have to kiss.
是我想太多了吗,还是真的风险很大?
Am I overthinking it, or is it still full?
你想太多了。
Overthinking it.
我觉得蒂姆·费里斯在中国失踪的可能性微乎其微。
I think the odds that Tim Ferriss would disappear in China is really
哦,我
Oh, I'm
不担心会消失。
not worried about disappearing.
那太糟糕了。
Would be terrible.
那样做的利弊根本说不通。
That like, the upside downside on that doesn't make any sense.
不。
No.
我它
I it's
我我不担心会消失。
I I don't I'm not worried about disappearing.
有些公司可能不会跟你打交道。
There are companies that may not speak with you.
比如我上次去的时候,深海康联公司,外面已经传开了,他们不接待西方人。
Like, when I was there, deep sea con unitary, the word was kind of out on the street that they're not meeting with westerners Yeah.
你知道,出于一些原因
You know, for reasons that
嗯,我肯定在美国也是如此。
are Well, I'm sure that's true conversely in The US too.
是的。
Yes.
哦,是的。
Oh, yeah.
是的。
Yeah.
是的。
Yeah.
是的。
Yeah.
我肯定这是有道理的,顺便说一下,当你思考这个国家时,这种反思性的视角是有帮助的。
I'm sure that's and by the way, think that reflective, lens when you think about the country is helpful.
比如,亚历克斯·卡普上周刚在DealBook大会上登台演讲。
Like, Alex Karp was just on stage of DealBook last week.
他谈到了监控,说:当然,我们的工具被用来监视敌人。
He was talking about surveillance and he says, well, of course, our tools are used to surveil the enemy.
是的。
Yeah.
然后我就想,好吧。
And and I'm like, okay.
我的天,中国人在监视我们,但显然我们也在监视他们。
Well, my god, the Chinese are surveilling us, but obviously, we're surveilling them too.
对啊。
Like Yeah.
让我们坦诚面对这些问题吧。
Like, let's be honest about these things.
是的。
Yeah.
我的意思是,这在很多明显的原因下要容易得多。
I mean, it's a lot easier for a bunch of obvious reasons.
在某些方面,他们监视我们比我们监视他们容易得多。
It's, in some respects a lot easier for them to surveil us than the other way around.
我的意思是,部分原因在于那边社会的同质性。
I mean, partially just due to the homogeneity of the society over there.
对吧?
Right?
你不可能随便派一群金发碧眼、黑人、拉美裔之类的人去中国,进入顶尖大学、顶尖公司等等。
You can't, like, send a bunch of blonde haired, blue eyed, black Latino, whatever to China to end up at, like, top universities, top companies, etcetera.
这要难得多。
It's just a lot harder.
顺便说一句,为了总结这部分,我想说还有另外两件事。
By the way, to put a to put a bow on this part, like, I would I would say there's two other things.
第一,你提到了一点,供应链已经深度整合到中国的原材料层面,即使你把工厂搬回这里,也只会成为一个组装厂,仍然要从那里采购原材料,这未必具有成本优势。
One, you hinted at one, the supply chains are so integrated in China down to the raw material level that even if you brought a factory back here, it'd be more of an assembly shop and you'd still be sourcing from there, which isn't necessarily cost competitive.
而要复制所有这些将需要非常、非常、非常长的时间。
And to replicate all of it would take a very, very, very long time.
基本药物的原材料。
Well, raw materials for staple pharmaceuticals.
我的意思是,有很多方面。
I mean, there's a lot.
是的。
Yeah.
所以有很多事情正在发生。
So there's a lot going on.
那么,到目前为止,对美国来说,是不是为时已晚、为钱所困?
So what at this point, is it a day late and a dollar short for The US?
我知道我几乎向你保证过我们不谈这个,但我真的很想听听你的看法。
I know I almost promised you we weren't gonna go into this, but I I wanna know your opinion.
我太好奇了。
I'm so curious.
比如,美国保持全球经济竞争力和活力的关键是什么?
Like, what are the keys to The US remaining globally competitive and vibrant as an economy?
你暗示了一个关键点,那就是核能似乎势在必行,或者需要更多能源。
You hinted to one, which is it seems kinda inevitable nuclear power or more power.
那么你打算怎么做呢?
So how do you do that?
我不确定你能否迅速扭转局面,尽管似乎有少数人已经很好地改变了舆论走向。
I'm not sure how quickly you can right the ship, although it seems like a handful of people have done a pretty good job of changing the narrative.
是的。
Yeah.
在你看来,美国需要做哪些关键事情?
What are some of the key things in your opinion that The US needs to do?
一是让建设变得更简单。
One is make it easier to build.
建设公司?
Build companies?
我认为要建设基础设施。
I think build infrastructure.
比如,如果你想按时、按预算建造半导体工厂或核电站,目前在美国这非常困难。
Like, if you're gonna build semiconductor plants, if you're gonna build nuclear plants on time and on budget, that's very hard to do in The US right now.
而希望的曙光在于,有几个州的州长似乎想要扫清障碍。
And the glimmer of hope, would say, is that a few states seem to have governors that want to get stuff out of the way.
我认为正是繁文缛节、官僚主义、律师和诉讼让这些项目变得如此昂贵。
And I think it's red tape and bureaucracy and lawyers and litigation that make this stuff so expensive.
因此,德克萨斯州和亚利桑那州似乎获得了不成比例的数据中心和半导体工厂份额。
And so Texas and Arizona seem to be getting their unfair share of data centers and semiconductor plants.
我认为正是因为这种态度,我在宾夕法尼亚州也看到了类似的情况——他们用十二天就修好了95号公路,但他们不得不直接搁置一些现行的法律法规。
And I think because of that attitude, I've seen a similar attitude in Pennsylvania, where they're like, they repaired I-ninety five in twelve days because but they literally had to take a bunch of statutes that are on the books and say they don't apply right now.
所以,我认为这种思维模式需要更多的推动力。
So that mindset, I think, needs a lot more momentum.
这是一方面。
That'd be one thing.
关于中国方面,还有另一件事我认为人们需要理解。
There's another thing that that I think is important for people to understand on the China front.
有很多人嗓门很大,会说:哦,他们知道如何大规模建厂,但不懂任何创新。
There are numerous people with a loud microphone that will say, oh, they know how to scale out like plants, but they don't know how to do any innovation.
这完全是错误的。
And that's just flat wrong.
这么说的人根本没去过那里。
Whoever's saying that just hasn't been there.
他们不了解实际情况。
They don't know the facts on the ground.
这些企业家与我们这里的创业者一样优秀。
These entrepreneurs are every bit as good as the entrepreneurs they are here.
比如在激光雷达领域,他们开发了一款MEMS激光雷达产品,价格只有130美元。
There are examples like in LiDAR, they built a MEMS LiDAR product that's like $130
一辆车。
a car.
什么是MEMS激光雷达?
What is MEMS LiDAR?
它是固态的,使用固态半导体技术,而不是那种大型的旋转雷达。
It's solid state, it uses solid state semiconductor technology instead of that big spinning radar.
所以,Waymo上的激光雷达是5美元,而他们用在每辆车上的MEMS激光雷达是130美元。
And so the LiDAR on a on a Waymo is $5, and it's a $130 for MEMS LiDAR they're putting on every car.
你可以在ChatGPT里输入:告诉我关于中国在MEMS激光雷达方面的创新。
You can go into ChatGPT and say, tell me about MEMS LiDAR innovation in China.
但这只是一个很好的例子。
But it's just a great example.
Lejeune是另一个例子。
Lejeune's another one.
但任何认为中国没有创新的人,都只是……
But like anybody that thinks there's no innovation is just Yeah.
他们完全错了。
They're just wrong.
他们视野受限了。
They got blinders on.
是的。
Yeah.
不。
No.
那不对。
That's not true.
那绝对不对。
That's definitely not true.
两年前我问过你,有没有哪些国家是你看好的。
I asked you two years ago if there are any countries that you're long on.
当时我很想知道,现在情况是否还是这样,你说你看好英国。
At the time, I'd be curious if this is still the case, you said you're long on The UK.
监管俘获较少,
Less regulatory capture,
输的一方支付
losing Did do
是吗?
that?
在英国法律体系中,败诉方承担费用,我喜欢这一点。
Losing party pays in the I legal system do love that.
这相比美国减少了无谓的诉讼。
Which which reduces frivolous litigation compared to The US.
你最近看好哪里?
Any thoughts on where you're bullish these days?
讽刺的是,几周前马特·里德利来城里了,
Well, ironically, Matt Ridley was in town a few weeks ago and
还有《理性乐观派》。
also A rational optimist.
是的。
Yes.
我非常喜欢他的作品,但他会说我在这一点上完全错了。
I love his stuff, but he would say that I would be dead wrong on that.
那里的状况并不好。
Things things aren't going well there.
所以他住在那里,我就当自己在这方面错了。
So and he lives there, so I'll just take that as I I got that one wrong.
嗯,我的意思是,这也取决于时间框架。
Well, I mean, it depends on the time frame too.
对吧?
Right?
是
Is it
是两年,还是五年,或者十年?
is it two years or is it five years or is it ten years?
你知道,中国令人印象深刻的一点是,自邓小平重新引入资本主义以来,已有五亿人摆脱了贫困。
You know, one of the things that's been impressive about China is, you know, since Deng Xiaoping kind of brought back capitalism, 500,000,000 people have come out of poverty.
你看看那些具有强烈敬业精神、高教育水平但目前人均收入较低的国家,你会觉得更多的工作机会应该会流向它们。
You look at countries that have a very strong work ethic and a high education and a low currently low per populated income, and you would think more jobs would come their way.
对我来说,两个典型的例子是越南和土耳其。
So two that would pop for me are Vietnam and Turkey.
我们基本符合所有这些条件。
We kind of check all those boxes.
好吧。
Alright.
希望到时候能做得更好。
Hopefully, do better then.
再检查一下。
Check-in in
再过两年。
another two years.
简单感谢一下我们的赞助商,马上回来继续节目。
Just a quick thanks to our sponsors, and we'll be right back to the show.
肌酸不仅仅用于增肌。
Creatine isn't just for muscle.
它是大脑、身体和长期表现所需的每日基本能量。
It's essential daily fuel for your brain, your body, and long term performance.
对我来说,我的家族有阿尔茨海默病和痴呆症的风险。
For me, I have Alzheimer's and dementia risk in my family.
认知方面的益处是我每天坚持服用肌酸的原因。
The cognitive benefits are the reason I take creatine every single day.
今天节目的赞助商Momentous是肌酸的黄金标准。
And today's episode sponsor, Momentous, is the gold standard in creatine.
市面上有很多虚假宣传,但我选择他们。
There's a lot of BS floating around, but I choose them.
为什么?
Why?
因为他们使用的是Creapure肌酸,这是最纯净、最有效的肌酸一水合物。
Because they source Creapure creatine, the purest, most effective creatine monohydrate available.
所以,如果你一直对肌酸感兴趣,现在就是你重新开始或首次尝试的好时机。
So if you've been curious about creatine, this is your moment to get back on track or try it for the first time.
Momentous 现在还推出了 Momentous 肌酸咀嚼片。
Momentous is also now introducing the Momentous creatine chews.
每片咀嚼片含有 1 克纯正的 Creapure 肌酸一水合物。
Each chew delivers one gram of pure CreaPure Creatine Monohydrate.
我最初对这些咀嚼片持怀疑态度。
I was skeptical of these chews.
我当时想:我永远不会用这些。
I was like, I'm never gonna use these.
结果我发现我一直在用它们。
It turns out that I use them all the time.
它们非常方便,而且获得了 NSF 体育认证,让你在无需麻烦的情况下获得黄金标准的纯度。
They're super convenient, and they are NSF certified for sports, so you get the gold standard purity without all the mess.
前往 livemomentous.com 并使用代码 Tim,首次订购最高可享 35% 折扣。
Head to livemomentous.com and use code Tim for up to 35% off of your first order.
嘿,大家好。
Hey, folks.
我是蒂姆。
Tim here.
我与Exploding Kittens的出色团队共同制作的畅销卡牌游戏《Coyote》,刚刚荣获2025年Pop Insider最佳极客游戏奖,以及2025年Made for Mums玩具奖的最佳圣诞袜填充玩具奖。
My best selling card game Coyote, which I made with the amazing team at Exploding Kittens, just won the Pop Insider best geeky game of 2025 and also best stocking filler in the Made for Mums Toy Awards twenty twenty five.
它在所有地方都在打折。
It is on sale everywhere.
它很便宜。
It's cheap.
它很容易上手。
It's fast to learn.
它有五分之四点八的评分。
It has 4.8 stars out of five.
人们都非常喜欢它。
People are loving it.
访问 Coyotegame.com 可以找到所有零售商,但你 everywhere 都能找到它。
Coyotegame.com will take you to all the retailers, but you can find it everywhere.
这是一款需要快速思考、更快大笑的游戏。
It is a game of thinking fast and laughing faster.
想象一下猜谜游戏结合传土豆,再加上一堆脑力乐趣。
Think charades meets hot potato meets a bunch of brain fun.
这对你的大脑很有好处。
It's good for your head.
它非常适合有10岁孩子的家庭,或者内心仍保有童真的成年人,或者那些不把自己太当回事的人。
It's perfect for families with kids aged 10 or adults who are kids at heart or don't take themselves too seriously.
很多成年人都喜欢这款游戏。
A lot of adults love this game.
正如我所说,它在各个地方都能买到。
And as I said, it's available everywhere.
亚马逊、沃尔玛、塔吉特,还有八千多家零售店,你想得到的地方都有。
Amazon, Walmart, Target, 8,000 plus retail locations, you name it.
所以请去试试吧。
So please check it out.
我非常喜欢制作这个游戏。
I loved making it.
人们真的非常喜欢它。
People are really enjoying it.
它在网上拥有三亿到四亿次以上的游戏玩法观看量。
It has 300 or 400,000,000 plus social views of gameplay online.
去试试吧。
And try it.
这个假期享受它吧。
Enjoy it this holiday season.
再去看看吧,coyotegame.com 再一次。
Check it out, coyotegame.com one more time.
那就是 coyotegame.com,或者你购买游戏的任何地方。
That's coyotegame.com or anywhere you buy your games.
现在回到这一集。
Now back to the episode.
好吧。
Alright.
让我们谈谈这个,这将过渡到讨论追逐梦想以及与此相关的所有事情。
Let's talk about this is gonna be a segue to talking about running down the dream and all things involved with that.
也许我们可以从一位同样喜爱奥斯汀的人的小故事开始。
Maybe we could start with an anecdote from a fellow Austenite.
喜欢打邦戈鼓,留着长发,偶尔会吸大麻。
Likes to play the bongos, long hair, associated with smoking reefer every once in a while.
马修。
Matthew.
是的。
Yes.
我们在开始录制前刚聊过关于马修的一个小故事。
We were talking about a short anecdote about Matthew before we started recording.
你愿意分享一下吗?
Would you mind sharing that?
在我准备并即将完成这本书时,我开始听《绿光》,有人告诉我必须听,因为当然他自己朗读,你能感受到麦康纳利那种独特的语气。
As I was preparing as I was kind of wrapping up the book, I started listening to Green Lights, and I was told you had to listen to it because of course he reads it, so you get all the great McConaughey affections as you read it.
但书里有一个故事突然浮现在我脑海中,恰好概括了我写《追逐梦想》这本书想要表达的核心。
But there's a story in it that just popped in my brain and kind of summarized exactly what I'm trying to accomplish with this book Running Down a Dream.
他在年轻时的大部分时间里——大约二十岁出头时——一直告诉家人自己将来要当律师。
And he had spent the vast majority of his young adult life, so this anecdotes from when he was like 20, 21, telling his family he was going to be a lawyer.
于是他考上了德克萨斯大学,主修预科法律。
And so he'd gotten into the University of Texas, he was pre law.
每次回家,他都会说:‘我会当律师的。’
Every time he went home, talked about, yeah, I'm gonna be a lawyer.
但在德克萨斯大学,他遇到了一些人,说服他转去电影学院。
And he had met some people at Texas that had convinced him that he should switch to film school.
但他对向父亲坦白这件事感到极度焦虑。
And he had immense anxiety about sharing this with his father.
他的父亲,书中都有提到,是个非常严厉的人。
His father, this is all in the book, but his father's a very tough individual.
所以当你准备公布一些消息时,感到害怕是合理的。
And so reason to be fearful when you're gonna drop some news.
我不再打算当律师了,我要去上电影学院。
I'm no longer gonna be a lawyer, I'm gonna go to film school.
他在书中详细描述了这一点,我并不知道什么时候该跟他谈。
And he builds it up a lot in the book, I didn't know when I was gonna talk to him.
你可以想象那种情况,你一再拖延,拖延,再拖延。
You can imagine being in that situation, you're delaying, delaying, delaying.
但他最终告诉了父亲,父亲只说了一句很简单的话:别半途而废。
But he finally tells his dad and his dad utters this very simple phrase, well, don't half ass it.
他说,所有可能的反应中,‘别半途而废’是他最没想到的话,也是能对他说的最好的话。
And he says, you know, of all the reactions he could have had, don't half ass it were the last words I expected to hear and the best words he could have ever said to me.
他说,在那一刻,父亲给予了他祝福、许可、认可、肯定、特权、荣誉、自由和责任。
And he said in that single moment he gave him blessing, consent, approval, validation, privilege, honor, freedom, and responsibility.
他称之为火箭燃料。
He called it rocket fuel.
我希望相信,世界上有许多人,年轻人,甚至一些中年转行者,都有这样的想法:他们本该做别的事,但社会却给他们安排了一条路。
And I'd like to believe there are a number of people out there, young adults, maybe even some midlife career, who have this notion that they should be doing something else, but society has put them on a path.
或者,他们通过大学教育的路径,最终进入了一份自己并不热爱的职业,但他们内心隐隐觉得,自己本可以去做那件事。
Or just the way they matriculated through college put them into a career that they just don't love, and that they have this inkling that they could go do this thing.
或者你是个年轻人,真的很想做X,但别人都告诉你该做A、B和C。
Or maybe you're a young kid and you really want to do x, but everybody else is telling you to do a, b, and c.
我想帮助他们获得信心和许可,去追求X,去追逐这个梦想。
I want to help them have the confidence and permission to go do x, like to go chase this dream.
正如我们在上一次通话中提到的,我认为你建立联系、收集信息并按自己的节奏学习的能力从未如此之好。
And as you ended up from our last call, I think your ability to make connections and to gather information and learn on your own pace has never been better.
如果你愿意,你可以整天坐在那里和ChatGPT聊上六个小时,从而深入了解任何一个领域。
You can literally just sit there and talk to ChatGPT six hours a day, if you so choose, and learn so much about any particular field.
因此,你能够主动掌握自己的人生,去尝试并成功实现你真正热爱的事情,我认为这比以往任何时候都更有可能。
And so your ability to take things into your own hands and to go try and be successful in this thing that feel passionate about, I think has never been better.
你为什么觉得,当你最初提出并随后不得不在线上展示这个梦想时,这个过程花了这么长时间?
Why do you think when you initially gave and subsequently had to go online, run down a dream as a presentation, why do you think that took?
为什么它能以这种方式引起共鸣?
Why did it strike a chord in the way that it did?
你觉得是
What do
你认为原因是什么?
you think it was?
我认为我们构建了一个没有人为过错的社会。
I think we built a society like nobody's fault.
我们只是建立了一个社会,在这个社会里,我们热衷于庆祝各个领域成功的人,但当我们考虑自己孩子的未来时,却往往更实际地思考他们应该做什么。
Like we just have built a society where we love to celebrate people that are successful in a lot of different fields, but when it comes to our own children, we tend to think way more pragmatically about what they should be doing.
律师、顾问、医生、计算机科学家,这些都是具有财务保障的职业。
Lawyers, consultants, doctors, computer scientists, it's all these jobs that have certainty to the financial component.
我认为这本意是很好的。
And I think that's so well intended.
我觉得这个系统里没有人存有恶意。
Like, I I don't think there's malintent of anyone in the system.
我有三个孩子,我亲身经历过这些。
And I'm a parent of three, like I've been through this.
你只是感到一种责任,想要推动他们走向繁荣。
You just feel this obligation to try and push them towards prosperity.
但这种繁荣不是智力上的繁荣,也不是幸福,而是财务上的繁荣。
But it's not intellectual prosperity, it's not happiness, it's financial.
是流动性。
It's Mobility.
是的。
Yes.
大多数人都是在引导孩子朝这个方向走。
That most people are guiding children towards.
这并不是什么复杂的数学问题,但大多数人一生会工作八万个小时。
And this isn't that complicated math, but most people end up working eighty thousand hours in their life.
这占了你生命的三分之一。
It's a third of your life.
为什么要做你不喜欢的事情?
Why do something you don't like?
盖洛普有针对职业参与度的调查数据,59%的人表示他们在工作中缺乏投入。
There's Gallup poll data on career engagement and fifty nine percent of people say they're not engaged at work.
这正是我们经常听到的‘安静辞职’现象。
And this is that whole quiet quitting thing that we hear so much about.
其中一些数字已降至历史最低点。
And some of these numbers are at an all time low.
这看起来太可怕了,人们仿佛只是漫无目的地度过一生。
It just seems horrific, like, the people are kind of sauntering through life.
那么,在这种情况下,走一条少有人走的路,关键是什么?
What are some of the keys to taking the path less traveled then in this case?
我给自己列了几点,但我们应该从哪里开始呢?
And, I mean, there are a few I highlighted for myself, but where should we start?
我为自己列了一条。
I highlighted one for myself.
我们不必从这里开始,但要去有行动的地方。
We don't have to start here, but go where the action is.
我只是觉得这一点被严重低估了,尤其是在数字世界里,人们可能更忽视它。
I just think this is so underrated and people further undervalue it maybe in a digital world.
但你可以从任何你想开始的地方入手。
But we can start anywhere you want.
这只是其中一个特别引起我注意的点,因为我认为它被严重低估了。
That's just one that's that really jumped out to me because I think it's really underrated.
但你希望从哪里开始呢?
But where would you like to start?
在书中,我们很早就将热情、着迷或好奇心与学习联系在一起。
In the book, one of the things that we tie together very early on is the interplay between passion or fascination or curiosity and learning.
要在任何事业中取得最大成功,尤其是当你打算挑战那些不那么务实的事情时,最好的方法就是成为你所能成为的最聪明、最有知识的人。
And the way to be most successful in any endeavor, but certainly if you're gonna go tilt it, something that's less pragmatic, is to be the smartest, most knowledgeable person you can possibly be.
正如我们之前提到的,知识现在是免费的。
And knowledge is free now, as we've talked about.
我有一个测试方法,可以判断你是否真正热衷于自己所追求的事情:你是否会利用自己的空闲时间自学?
And I have this test for whether or not you're actually truly passionate about what you're trying to do, which is do you self learn on your own time?
比如,你是否会放弃看《绝命毒师》,转而去阅读这个领域的资料,并从中获得动力?
Like would you not watch Breaking Bad and read about this field and be energized by that activity.
如果你是这样的人,那么我们在书中收录了二十到三十个成功人士的故事,几乎所有人都符合这一标准。
If you are, and we have twenty, thirty different stories in the book of people that have been successful, almost all of them check that box.
你拥有惊人的能力,能够比你所有的竞争对手更快地获取知识。
You just have this amazing ability to gain knowledge so much faster than everyone else you would be competing with.
这一定会很有用,这无疑是很有用的。
And that's gonna be useful, that's unquestionably gonna be useful.
这让我想起很久以前看过的一次采访。
It makes me think of an interview I saw a long time ago, actually.
那是很多年前的事了,但那是对乔·罗根的一次采访。
It was quite a few years ago, but it was an interview with Joe Rogan.
他说了一些让我惊讶的话,可能也会让很多人感到意外,大意是他并不擅长意志力或自律,尽管他身材非常好。
And he said something that surprised me, it might surprise a lot of people, which was along the lines of he's not good at it was either willpower or discipline, which is he's in great shape.
显然,他是柔术黑带。
Obviously, he's black belt in jujitsu.
他做到了自己在播客领域所做的一切。
He's done what he's done with the podcast.
他是播客领域的无可争议的王者,等等,等等,等等。
He's the undisputed king of podcasting, etcetera, etcetera, etcetera.
他说,我其实并不擅长所谓的自律或意志力,但我非常擅长痴迷。
And he said, I'm not actually good at whether it was discipline or willpower, but I am good at obsession.
要么全有,要么全无。
It's all on or all off.
我见过这种状态。
And I've seen that.
我相信你也见过,很多真正成功、创造出巨大成就的创业者都是这样的。
I'm sure you've seen this in a lot of the entrepreneurs who actually make it to the other side and create these mega successes.
他们只是着迷了。
They are just obsessed.
毫无疑问。
No doubt.
这给了他们巨大的优势,不仅是知识上的优势,还有耐力上的优势。
And that gives them a huge, not just knowledge advantage, but endurance advantage.
你只需要一个个地完成清单上的事项。
You just go down the checkboxes.
这全是优势。
It's all advantages.
在我研究这个话题时,我有机会与安吉拉·达克沃斯交谈。
I had the opportunity to talk to Angela Duckworth when I was working on this.
她的书《坚毅》谈到了两个组成部分:热情和毅力。
And her book, Grit, talks about two components, passion and perseverance.
我最近听了一期她参与的播客,她说如果可以重来,她会更加重视热情和毅力,因为她认为我们一直教导孩子要苦干。
And I heard a podcast she had done recently where she said if she could go back, she would put far more weight on the passion and the perseverance because she says we've taught our children to grind.
所以,再次地,在六年级时,他们被要求学习长笛、打长曲棍球、做所有这些事情,拼命备考SAT,选修额外的学分课程等等。
And so once again, in sixth grade, they're told to learn the flute and take lacrosse and do all this stuff and crush the SATs and take the extra credit classes and all this.
他们都这么做,全都这么做。
And they all do it and they all do it.
然后他们上了大学,别人问他们:‘你最近怎么样?’
And then they go to college and, oh, how are you doing?
他们选六门课而不是四门,只是不停地奔波。
They take six hours of class instead of four and they're just going.
但她最终说,如果你没有那份热情,你就会耗尽精力。
But eventually she says, if you don't have that passion, you just burn out.
所以,你说得对,关于精力这部分。
And so you're right about the energy part.
我认为这既是知识的积累,也是你投入了更多的循环。
I think it's both knowledge and you've put in more cycles.
是的。
Yeah.
这让我想到,也许在硅谷这已经成了陈词滥调,因为被反复提及太多次了,但很多听众可能还没听过:如果你想寻找下一个技术突破或前沿事物,就去看看那些极客周末在做什么。
It makes me think of maybe this is cliched in Silicon Valley because it gets so oft repeated, but a lot of folks listening will not have heard it, which is if you're looking for the next sort of technological breakthrough or something on the edge, look for what the nerds are doing on the weekends.
但这不仅是发现几年后可能兴起的事物的好方法。
But it's not just a great way to find what might be coming around the corner in a few years.
这也是发现值得投资的人的好方法——他们已经在利用自己的空闲时间投身于这些事情。
It's a great way to find the people to bet on who are already using their excess, their free time to work on these things.
毫无疑问。
No doubt.
我想到了布里·佩蒂斯和3D打印。
I think of Brie Pettis and three d printing.
我的意思是,我可以一口气列出一大串例子。
I mean, I can just go down the list.
顺便说一句,去中心地带的另一个优势是,那里总有更多人在做这样的事。
And by the way, that's another advantage of going to the epicenter is there's more people doing that all the time.
让我们聊聊可能会让人惊讶的人——鲍勃·迪伦。
Let's talk about people might be surprised by this, but Bob Dylan.
我认为这是最典型的例子。
I think this is just the quintessential example.
他为什么和我们讨论的内容相关?
Why is he relevant to what we're talking about?
当这个想法浮现在我脑海时,我刚读完第三本传记,并将它与其他两本进行对比,结果发现了所有这些模式。
When this idea popped in my head, I had finished a third biography and contrasted it with these other two, and I just saw all these patterns.
你知道,风险投资就是一场模式识别的游戏。
You know, VC is a game of pattern recognition.
我想我的大脑只是逐渐进化了。
I guess my brain's just developed.
我当时想,天啊,这完全是一种锁定现象,这三个人都做了同样的事情。
I was like, oh my god, it's all this kind of lock thing where these three people had all done the same thing.
一个是篮球教练,一个是餐饮经营者,另一个是鲍勃·迪伦。
And one was a basketball coach, one was a restaurateur, and the other was Bob Dylan.
不是行业,嘿,这难道不是你应该寻求职业发展建议的地方吗?
Not industry, hey, this is where you should get career development advice, right?
关于迪伦的故事中,有一部分大多数人并不了解,除非他们读过所有传记,或者看过斯科塞斯的纪录片。
There's a part of the Dylan story that most people wouldn't know unless they had read all the biographies or maybe seen the Scorsese documentary.
但这部新电影完全忽略了这一点:在来到纽约之前,年轻的鲍勃·迪伦一直在明尼苏达州深入研究民谣音乐,我敢肯定,当他离开时,他对民谣音乐的了解比明尼苏达州任何其他人都要深。
But the new movie misses the whole thing, which is the pre New York Bob Dylan was hanging out in Minnesota studying folk music at such a deep level that I feel confident in saying when he left, he knew more about folk music than any other human in Minnesota.
他当时在借朋友的唱片,也许这还是个委婉的说法——他其实是在偷朋友的唱片。
And he was borrowing, and maybe that's even a euphemism, he was stealing his friends albums.
他经常去唱片店,钻进试听隔间里。
He was going into the record store into these listening booths.
他仿佛掌握了所有能知道的东西,对每一处细节都进行了深入研究。
Like he knew all there was to know and had studied every bit of it.
斯科塞斯称他为‘音乐探险家’。
And he's referred to by Scorsese as a music expeditionary.
那些在纽约认识他的人,都能模仿他任何一首歌。
And the people that knew him in New York City could mimic any one song.
这并不是你听到迪伦歌曲时所想象的那样——他先彻底掌握了音乐的根基,然后才开始创新。
It's not what you would think of when you hear a Dylan song that he had kind of mastered the bedrock underneath and then started innovating.
顺便说一下,毕加索也是同样的情况。
Picasso, by the way, the same thing.
14岁时就是完美的写实派画家。
Perfect realist painter at age 14.
如果你去巴塞罗那的毕加索博物馆,那里是按时间顺序陈列的,你会惊讶于这个孩子在转向其他风格之前,写实技巧有多么精湛。
If you go to the Barcelona Picasso Museum, like it's in geographic order and you're kind of shocked at how good a realist this kid was before he went and did this other thing.
我认为,拥有全部历史知识作为基础,然后再开始创新,这一点至关重要。
That bedrock knowledge, I think is so differentiating for someone to have all the history and then to start doing the innovation.
关于迪伦,从明尼苏达到纽约市,前后有什么变化?
What was the before and after on Dillon, sort of Minnesota, New York City.
为什么这如此重要
And why is that such an important
顺便提一下,为了进一步说明鲍勃·迪伦这种勤学苦练的一面,他曾做过一系列播客,逐一讲解各种音乐流派,
By way, and and just to, like, even pile on more on this kind of studious part of Bob Dylan, he did a podcast series for a while where he just walks through all these different genres of music and
你是在说鲍勃·迪伦本人吗?
You're talking about Bob Dylan himself?
是的。
Yes.
哦,我
Oh, I
我之前不知道这一点。
didn't realize this.
是的。
Yes.
是的。
Yes.
你可以去找找看。
You can go find it.
然后他两年前出版的那本《50首最佳歌曲》的咖啡桌书籍,展现了他对自身流派之外各种歌曲的惊人知识,方方面面。
And then that book he put out of the 50 best songs, that coffee table book that came out two years ago, It's incredible the amount of knowledge he has about songs outside of his genre, everything.
所以他显然是自己所从事领域的认真学习者。
So he's just a clear student of what he's doing.
我认为这一点是众所周知的,并且在电影开头就提到了。
I think this is well known and is covered at the beginning of the movie.
他前往纽约寻找伍迪·格思里,这可能是我听过的最明确、最具雄心的追随导师的故事。
He went to New York to find Woody Guthrie, Probably the single kind of most deterministic and ambitious mentor pursuit story that I've ever heard of.
他身无分文地搭便车前往,找到了他,并与他成了朋友。
Like, he he hitchhiked there with no money and found him and became friends with him.
这呼应了‘去有行动的地方’这一说法。
This echoes back to go where the action is also.
当然无疑。
Oh, no doubt.
顺便说一句,他抵达曼哈顿时,正好身处民谣音乐圈的中心,而他在明尼苏达州聆听时研究的那些人,全都聚集在那里。
And by the way, he landed in Manhattan at the center of the folk music scene, and all those people he was studying when he was listening in Minnesota, they were all there.
你知道,他后来认识了他们所有人。
You know, he got to know them all.
如果没发生这些,我认为就不会有迪伦。
If that doesn't happen, I don't think Dylan happens.
你知道吗?
You know?
考虑到现在可以通过ChatGPT或其他工具轻松获取信息,你觉得‘去有行动的地方’这个理念还有多大的相关性?
How relevant do you think the go where the action is now considering the access to information using ChatGPT or other tools, etcetera, etcetera, etcetera?
也许导师的获取没那么重要了,尽管你仍然可以建立虚拟关系。
Maybe less so access to mentors, although you can have virtual relationships.
但你觉得这有多相关呢?
But how relevant do you think that is?
我有自己的看法。
I've got my own opinion.
你当然可以拥有远程的同伴和导师体验。
You could certainly have the type of peer and mentor experiences that are remote.
我在书里讲过一个关于MrBeast的精彩故事,是个远程的例子,我们可以聊聊。
I have a great anecdote about mister beast in the book that we could talk about that was a remote one.
但身处一群同样追求目标的人中间,这种好处是巨大的。
But the benefits of being in and around a whole bunch of people that are chasing the same thing is so high.
我认为直觉是:哦,这会变得更加竞争激烈,那为什么不在一个没那么重要的小镇尝试呢?
And I think the intuition is, oh, it's gonna be even more competitive, so wouldn't why it be better to try and do this in a town where it's less of a big deal?
但问题是,你的学习会受到影响,你接触同龄人和导师的机会会大幅减少,而最重要的是,你的选择权会被极大地限制。
But the problem is your learning is impacted, your access to peers and mentors is drastically reduced, and then probably most importantly, your optionality gets cut so dramatically.
人们认为很多成功故事,都归因于运气。
People think that a lot of success stories, they attribute it to luck.
但有一句著名的话说:运气是准备遇上机会的时候。
But there's that famous saying, luck is when preparation meets opportunity.
当你身处中心时,你的准备和机会都会提升十倍。
And when you're in the epicenter, both your preparation and your opportunity go up 10x.
因此,你遇到那种幸运时刻、被带入某个机会的可能性要高得多。
And so your ability to just have that lucky moment where you get brought into something is so much higher.
所以,我认为‘去有行动的地方’这一点,幸运时刻非常关键,因为很多事你其实可以在线上完成。
So the lucky moment is, I think, really important to underscore in terms of going where the action is because there's a lot you can do virtually.
但假设你正在使用ChatGPT,你只会得到你所提问的内容。
But let's just say you're using ChatGPT, you're going to get what you prompt.
换句话说,你就是在寻求某种东西,没错。
In other words, like, you're asking for something Yeah.
而这可能会带你陷入一个死胡同。
And that can take you down a rabbit hole.
但就我个人的经历而言,当然我至今仍看到这种情况:当我2000年搬到硅谷时,回望我的天使投资生涯,回顾所有这些合作,绝大多数都不是我带着明确目的出去寻找的结果。
But there, at least in my lived experience, and certainly I still see this happening, when I moved to Silicon Valley in 2000, and then I look back at my angel investing career, I look back at all these collaborations, the vast majority of them did not come from me going out with an agenda and seeking something.
它们都源于在咖啡店偶然遇见某人。
They came from serendipitous bumping into somebody at a coffee shop.
我之所以认识纳瓦尔·拉维坎特,是因为我当时在向他当时的女友搭讪,而她正在买咖啡。
I literally met Naval Ravikanth because I was hitting on his girlfriend at the time when she was getting her coffee.
我根本不知道他们是一对。
Didn't realize they were together.
再看看加勒特·坎普、凯文·罗斯。
And then you look at Garrett Camp, Kevin Rose.
比如在一次烧烤聚会上,我就认识了凯文·罗斯。
These are, like, at a barbecue, I met Kevin Rose.
你逐个列出这些对你个人和职业发展都具有重大影响的形成性关系。
And you go down the list and you look at all of these formative, massively impactful personally and professionally relationships.
它们几乎都源于偶然的机遇。
They almost all came from serendipity.
除非你身处事件的核心,否则你很难获得这种密度。
And you just don't seem to get that density unless you're in the center of the action.
也许当你责任较少时,搬迁自身会更容易,我确信如此,但我无法想象,如果我没有离开长岛,最终搬到硅谷,我的人生会是什么样子。
And perhaps it's easier to relocate yourself, I'm sure it is, when you have fewer responsibilities, but I can't even imagine what my life would have looked like had I not, you know, left Long Island and then ultimately moved to Silicon Valley.
我也是。
Same for me.
我曾经思考过风险投资这个概念,并打算实践它,任何我能得到的工作我都会毫不犹豫地接受。
I had thought about the notion of venture capital and practicing it and probably would have jumped at any job I could have got.
当我还在奥斯汀的麦克库姆斯商学院时,我曾试图申请奥斯汀风投的面试,但我没成功。
Like when I was at McCombs here in Austin, I tried to get an interview at Austin Ventures, like I didn't get one.
但如果他们答应了,也许我就会在那里开始实践了。
But had they said yes, maybe I practiced there.
我很庆幸那件事没有发生。
And I'm glad that didn't happen.
我在那里实践,正是做这件事的绝佳地点。
Going and practicing it where I did was the exact right place to do it.
我认为,如果你能的话,尽管有经济限制,但如果你想在某个领域出类拔萃,而这个领域有一个中心地带,那你就应该去那里。
I do think if you can, because there are financial constraints, if you wanna be great at a field and that field has an epicenter, I think you should go.
而且,中心地带也有不同类型。
And there are different types of epicenters too.
比如,你想想人工智能——我不是老提这个,但一提到人工智能,你首先想到的肯定是硅谷。
Like, you think about, let's just say AI, not to repeatedly bang that drum, but you could just say, okay, AI, first thing that comes to mind, Silicon Valley.
这可能会稍微跑题,但我记得我问过我的朋友德里克·西弗斯,一位了不起的创业者、哲学家兼程序员。
But it's gonna be a bit of a digression, but I remember asking Derek Sivers, a friend of mine, amazing entrepreneur, kind of philosopher, programmer.
人们可以去查一下他。
People can look him up.
但我问他:当你想到‘成功’这个词时,第一个浮现在你脑海里的人是谁?
But I asked him, who's the first person who comes to mind when you think of the word successful?
关于 Bayt 播客
Bayt 提供中文+原文双语音频和字幕,帮助你打破语言障碍,轻松听懂全球优质播客。