本集简介
双语字幕
仅展示文本字幕,不包含中文音频;想边听边看,请使用 Bayt 播客 App。
我是艾莎·罗斯科,这里是周日故事时间,我们将超越新闻本身,为您带来一个重磅故事。
I'm Ayesha Roscoe, and this is a Sunday story where we go beyond the news to bring you one big story.
距离ChatGPT这款人工智能聊天机器人向公众发布已有三年时间。
It's been three years since ChatGPT, the artificial intelligence chatbot, was released to the public.
自那时起,生成式AI已渗透到我们生活的方方面面,包括高等教育领域。
Since then, generative AI has infiltrated so many aspects of our lives, including higher education.
如果你没有利用AI来提升你的大学体验,那你可就落伍了。
If you're not using AI to make your college experience easier, you are falling behind.
早就提醒过你们不要用ChatGPT,,现在真有学生因为被抓到作弊而被大学开除。
Told you guys not to be using ChatGPT, and now we have students literally getting kicked out of university for getting caught.
今天,我们将探讨AI如何改变大学体验,以及这对试图应对这一变化的教授和学生意味着什么。
Today, we're going to explore how AI is changing the college experience and what that means for the professors and students trying to navigate it all.
稍后回来。
We'll be right back.
本周《与斯科特·卡特一起》节目。
This week on Ye Gods with Scott Carter.
我们已身处一个残酷的时代许久。
We've been living in an age of cruelty for a while.
我们现在正处在一个腐败的时代。
We are now in an age of corruption.
《纽约时报》专栏作家大卫·弗伦奇呼吁我们通过抵抗来创造团结。
New York Times columnist David French urges us to create unity through resistance.
在残酷的时代,善良就是反叛。
In an age of cruelty, kindness is rebellious.
在腐败的时代,美德就是反叛。
In an age of corruption, virtue is rebellious.
我是斯科特·卡特。
I'm Scott Carter.
在《Ye Gods》节目中收听大卫·弗伦奇的见解,各大播客平台均可订阅。
Listen to David French on Yee Gods, wherever you get your podcasts.
本周《Consider This》节目中,ICE探员涌入芝加哥后,活动人士提出了一项他们认为其他城市可以效仿的抵抗计划。
This week on Consider This, after ICE agents flooded into Chicago, activists came up with a resistance plan they think other cities can follow.
归根结底就是要让移民执法效率尽可能低下。
It boils down to making immigration enforcement as inefficient as possible.
时间和金钱。
Time and money.
时间和金钱。
Time and money.
来自芝加哥的报道。
A report from Chicago.
本周请通过NPR应用或您获取播客的任何平台收听NPR的《Consider This》节目。
Listen this week to consider this from NPR on the NPR app or wherever you get your podcasts.
嘿。
Hey.
我是《Car Talk》的雷。
It's Ray from Car Talk.
你厌倦了NPR节目里那些深刻又用心的内容了吗?
You tired of all the depth and thoughtful care that goes into NPR shows?
想来点老式的胡闹和跌跌撞撞搞清状况的乐趣吗?
Want some good old fashioned goofing around and stumbling to figure out what's going on?
好吧,我又开始偶尔回答汽车问题了。
Well, I've been taking occasional car questions again.
你可以通过订阅NPR Plus来收听这些内容,还有大量其他额外福利。
You can hear them by signing up for NPR Plus along with lots of other bonus content.
只需访问plus.npr.org。
Just go to plus.npr.org.
我们回来继续周日的报道。
We're back with a Sunday story.
与我一同参与的是教育记者李·盖恩斯,他负责报道人工智能和高等教育领域。
Joining me is education reporter Lee Gaines who covers AI and higher ed.
李,欢迎来到节目。
Lee, welcome to the show.
嗨,阿伊莎。
Hi, Ayesha.
非常感谢
Thank you so much
谢谢邀请
for having me.
如今ChatGPT无处不在
So chat GPT is everywhere these days.
我们是如何走到这一步的?它似乎已经完全融入了人们的生活
How do we get to this point where it is kind of, like, so integrated in people's lives?
是的
Yeah.
今天我想先带大家回顾一下历史
So I wanna start today by taking us back in time.
我们要回到2023年,那时ChatGPT还是一项全新技术
So we're gonna go way back to the 2023 when ChatGPT was still a brand new technology.
我是说2023年,其实并不久远
So, I mean, 2023, that that's not long ago.
我是说,这真的有点难以理解,它怎么能在这么短的时间内变得如此重要。
I mean, it it's it's kinda hard to wrap your head around, like, how it's become such a big deal in such a short amount of time.
是啊。
Yeah.
我知道。
I know.
疯狂的是它已经对世界和经济产生了如此巨大的改变。
It's crazy how much it's already changed the world and the economy.
但你知道,这项技术确实意义重大。
But, you know, this technology is a huge deal.
有人把它比作互联网的发明,甚至是与工业革命同等重要的变革。
People have compared it to the invention of the internet or even as big a change as the industrial revolution.
总之,回到2023年,有个叫马克斯·蒙杜斯的学生。
So anyway, back in 2023, there's this student, Max Moundus.
他是田纳西州纳什维尔范德堡大学的大四学生,主修计算机科学。
He's a senior at Vanderbilt University in Nashville, Tennessee, and he's a computer science major.
ChatGPT发布后,Moundus开始对这种新发明——生成式AI的强大能力感到恐慌。
So after ChatGPT was released, Moundus starts freaking out about the power of this new invention, generative AI.
我无法集中精力,因为我一直在试验ChatGPT和许多这类工具,当时我能看着它们以任何编程语言生成代码,而且速度极快,几乎是瞬间完成的。
I couldn't focus because I was experimenting with ChatGPT and a lot of these tools, and I could watch them generate code in any coding language at the time and generate them extremely quickly, like, nearly instantaneously.
Nandis表示AI生成的代码并不完美,但他当时自己写的代码也不完美,而且他知道这项技术只会越来越好。
Nandis says the AI generated code wasn't perfect, but neither was the code he could write at the time, and he knew this technology was only going to get better.
我开始陷入思维漩涡,不断思考:我过去四年学到的所有东西,现在是不是都过时了?
And I started spiraling, and I was just thinking, you know, did everything I just learned over the past four years, is that now obsolete?
我四年时间加上支付的学费,是不是应该投入到其他事情上?
You know, is the four years of my time plus the tuition that I paid, you know, should I put that towards something else?
我基本上一直在经历持续的恐慌发作,把情况想得极其糟糕。
And I was I was basically having perpetual panic attacks and catastrophizing the situation.
是啊。
Yeah.
我的意思是,这种反应是可以理解的,对吧?这种情况确实会让人压力很大。
I mean, it's it's it's understandable, right, like, how that could be really stressful.
现在看来,计算机科学和编程可能不是最理想的专业选择了。
It does seem like computer science and, like, coding, that might not be the best major right now.
是啊。
Yeah.
完全同意。
Totally.
Moundus对此感受特别深刻。
And Moundus was feeling that so much.
他实际上压力大到去寻求了一位教授的建议。
And he was so stressed out actually that he sought advice from one of his professors.
我记得当时去找他,试图表达自己有种被这件事打败的感觉。
I remember approaching him and kind of trying to express to him that I just felt sort of defeated by this.
他在范德堡大学交谈的那位教授是Dan Arena。
The professor he talked to at Vanderbilt was Dan Arena.
Arena告诉我,他的许多学生都对AI及其对职业发展的影响深感忧虑。
Arena told me a lot of his students were deeply worried about AI and what it would mean for their careers.
我的大多数学生都即将进入就业市场。
Most of my students were getting ready to enter the job market.
所以他们很多人开始恐慌,因为觉得这些都是新技术。
So a lot of them were starting to panic because they're like, well, this is all new technology.
我们本科期间从未学过这些内容。
We never learned anything about this while we were an undergrad.
现在我们要步入社会了。
Now we're going out there.
现在我们需要担心工作问题吗?
Now do we have to worry about our jobs?
我们还能找到工作吗?
Are we gonna still get jobs?
当时我觉得我的角色就是要试着说:让我们客观看待这个问题,真正了解现状。
And at that time, I felt like my role specifically was to try to say like, let's just try to look at this accurately and let's really see what's happening.
于是艾琳娜想到了这个有点特别的主意。
So Irina gets this kind of quirky idea.
他决定把给学生的同一份期末考试也交给ChatGPT来做。
He decides he's gonna give the same final exam he's giving students to ChatGPT.
这样Irina就能了解这个聊天机器人是否真的能取代计算机科学领域的初级工作者。
So this way, Irina could get a sense of whether the chatbot could actually replace an entry level worker in the computer science field.
于是我创建了一个虚构的学生叫Glen Peter Thompson,就是GPT的首字母缩写。
So I created a fictitious student named Glen Peter Thompson, which was GPT, right, the initials.
好的。
Okay.
那么Glen Peter Thompson考得怎么样?
So so how did Glen Peter Thompson do?
说实话,相当糟糕。
Pretty bad, actually.
令我非常惊讶的是,ChatGPT在我其中一个班级的成绩是最低的。
Much to my surprise, ChatGPT had, like, actually did the lowest in one of my sections.
而在另外两个班级,它的表现稍好一些,但仍远低于平均水平。
And then the other two sections, it did marginally better, but it was still well below the mean.
于是我把这个结果分享给了学生们,并告诉他们:嘿,这就是我们目前的现状。
So I shared that with my students and I just said like, hey, this is where we're at right now.
你们在计算机科学和工业领域的准备程度远超ChatGPT。
You are significantly more prepared than ChatGPT is to take on a role in computer science and industry.
嗯,你知道,这可是件大事。
Well, you know, that's a that's a big thing.
就像,我我我敢肯定这让学生们感觉特别好,至少现在电脑还没取代他们。
Like, I I I'm sure that must have made the students feel really good that right now the computers haven't replaced them.
哦,百分百同意。
Oh, 100%.
是啊。
Yeah.
伊琳娜就是这么告诉我的。
That's what Irina told me.
他说这确实让学生们安心了不少,不过那已经是差不多三年前的事了。
He said that this really calmed down his students, except that that was almost three years ago.
对吧?
Right?
而ChatGeeBT自那以后已经进步了。
And ChatGeeBT has improved since then.
所以今年春天,伊琳娜告诉我他用ChatGeeBT重复了这个实验。
So this past spring, Irina told me that he repeated his experiment with ChatGeeBT.
这次我编造了一个名字,叫格温·派珀·汤普森。
And this time I pretend I I made up a name, which was Gwen Piper Thompson.
我假装这是格伦现在在范德堡大学的妹妹。
I I pretended that this was Glenn's younger sister now at Vanderbilt.
而这次,ChatGPT(或者说格温)考了80分出头。
And this time around, ChatGPT or Gwen scored in the low eighties.
有进步,但还不够好。
So better, but still not great.
伊琳娜说他的学生们再次松了口气。
And Irina says his students were again relieved.
但是Ayesha,仅仅几年时间,ChatGPT在这项测试上就取得了巨大进步。
But Ayesha, even in just a couple years, ChatGPT improved a lot on that test.
所以很容易看出未来的发展趋势。
So it's pretty easy to see where things are headed.
我问Irina,当ChatGPT能轻松通过考试时会怎样?
And I asked Irina, what happens when ChatGPT can ace the exam?
当它真的达到我的学生需要达到的水平时,我就需要重新规划,思考如何整合这项技术,让学生们比没有这项技术时更出色、更高效?
So at the point that it really does catch up to what my students need to be able to do, then I need to go back to the drawing board and I need to say like, okay, well, how can I then incorporate this technology to make them even better and more productive than they were previously without this technology?
所以Irina对此显得相当冷静,对吧?
So Irina sounds pretty calm about this, right?
但我不会说他代表了学术界的所有人。
But I wouldn't say he represents everyone in academia.
那么Arema在这里算是个特例吗?
So Arema's kind of an outlier here?
嗯,我绝对认为可以放心地说,人们对AI将如何影响就业市场的担忧是相当合理的。
Well, I definitely think it's safe to say that concerns about how AI is going to impact the job market are pretty valid.
我和Tanya Tetlow谈过这个问题。
I talked to Tanya Tetlow about this.
她是福特汉姆大学的校长,非常担忧AI将如何影响计算机科学专业学生的就业前景。
She's the president of Fordham University, and she's very concerned about how AI will impact jobs for computer science majors.
我们非常担心他们即将面临的就业市场。
We worry very much about the job market they will inherit quite soon.
例如计算机科学领域的编程岗位已经开始消失,去年我们计算机科学专业的申请人数下降了三分之一。
Coding jobs in computer science, for example, have started to disappear and our applications for computer science majors went down by a third last year.
这种冲击还将波及会计师或律所初级律师等职位,那些技术性最强的工作正迅速被技术取代。
And that hit will start to also apply to things like accountants or junior lawyers in law firms that the the tasks that are the most technical are quickly being supplanted by technology.
我是说,如果就业市场变化如此之快,那
I mean, if the job market is changing this fast, how
大学能够或者应该如何适应?
how can or or how should universities adapt?
Tetlow告诉我,她认为大学需要确保学生掌握AI无法复制的技能,比如批判性思维、情商和道德判断力。
Well, Tetlow told me she believes universities need to make sure students get skills AI can't replicate, like critical thinking, emotional intelligence, and ethical judgment.
雇主们将越来越需要他们不仅精通技术,更要具备那些不会被机器取代的最具人性的技能。
What, employers will increasingly need from them is that proficiency in technology for sure, but also the most human of skills that won't get replaced by machines.
好的。
Okay.
但她是否在说,只要具备这些技能,计算机科学专业的学生仍有用武之地?
But is she saying that there will still be a role for computer science majors as long as they have these skills?
是的,毫无疑问。
Yes, definitely.
因此Tetlow认为,市场仍将需要具备这些技术能力的人才,但仅靠技术能力是不够的。
So Tetlow thinks there's still going to be a demand for people with these technical skills, but that alone won't be enough.
他们还需要掌握这些其他技能。
They'll need to have these other skills too.
换句话说,他们需要理解AI的运作机制,并与人类协作监督它。
So in other words, they need to understand what the AI is doing and work with humans to oversee it.
那么我们已经听取了教授和管理人员的意见,但学生们怎么看呢?
So so we've heard from the professors and the administrators, but what about the students?
比如,你了解大概有多少大学生在使用AI吗?
Like, do you have a sense of how many college students in general are using AI?
我的意思是,简短的答案是
I mean, the short answer is
很多。
a lot.
最近有一项针对约1000名本科生的调查。
There was this recent survey done of about 1,000 undergrads.
这项调查是由《Inside Higher Ed》和Generation Lab联合开展的。
It was conducted by Inside Higher Ed and Generation Lab.
他们发现大量学生(85%)表示在过去一年中使用过生成式AI来完成作业。
They found that a huge amount of students, 85%, said they used generative AI for coursework in the past year.
好的。
Okay.
85%。
85%.
我是说,这占了学生中的绝大多数。
I mean, that's a huge majority of students.
是啊,确实如此。
Yeah, it is.
而且约半数的受访者表示,他们以可以论证为支持学习的方式使用AI,比如头脑风暴创意、让AI像导师一样提问问题,以及用它来备考。
And about half of those surveyed said they used it in ways that you could argue support their learning, like brainstorming ideas, having AI ask them questions like a tutor would, and using it to study for tests.
还有42%的人表示他们将其当作高级搜索引擎使用。
Also, 42% said they're using it like an advanced search engine.
现在,较小比例的学生——约四分之一——表示他们用AI完成作业,其中19%承认曾让AI代写整篇论文。
Now, a smaller percentage, about a quarter of students, said they used it to complete their assignments, with 19% saying they had used AI to write full essays for them.
噢,我是说,这这这可不太妙。
Oh, I mean, that's that's that's not good.
这可不好。
That's not good.
因为这意味着将近四分之一的学生都这么做了。
Because that what so that's like a a quarter of students, almost a quarter of students.
接近20%了。
So close to 20%.
他们基本上就是在作弊。
They basically cheating.
对吧?
Right?
他们基本上就是在作弊。
They're they're basically cheating.
是的。
Yeah.
我想很多人会这么认为。
I think a lot of people would call it that.
我觉得有些学生可能会把这描述为更聪明而非更努力地学习,但
I think that some of these students might describe it as working smarter rather than harder, but
是啊。
Yeah.
嗯,我是说,你看。
Well, I mean, look.
你确实。
You yes.
你知道,有些方法可以事半功倍。
You know, there are there are ways to work smarter, not harder.
你可以,比如,拿些钱出来注册,但这仍然是偷窃行为。
You could, like, take some money out to register, but it's still stealing.
你明白我的意思吗?
You know what I'm saying?
哦,是的。
Oh, yeah.
百分百同意。
A 100%.
我觉得教授们也会认同这一点。
I think professors would agree with that.
我和这位刚毕业的大学生阿耶莎·特拉纳聊过这个话题。
And I talked to this recent college grad, Ayesha Terana, about this.
特拉纳为一项研究项目采访了她所在学校——明尼苏达大学双城分校的10名学生,询问他们如何使用人工智能。
Terana interviewed 10 students at her school, the University of Minnesota Twin Cities, for a research project, and she asked these students how they were using AI.
其中一位受访者说的话让我印象深刻。
One of the interviewees said something that kind of stuck out to me.
她大致说过这样的话:这让变得更好更容易了。
She had said something along the lines of, it makes it easier to do better.
这就像是一条主线,很多人对我说,这让变得更好、做得更好、更快实现目标都更容易了。
And that was kind of this, like, seam that a lot of people were saying to me was that it just makes it easier to be better and do better and get to my goals faster.
我当时就觉得,这很有趣。
And I was like, that's interesting.
我能理解这种说法。
I mean, I can see that.
而且,你知道,我有些朋友也常讨论这样使用人工智能。
And I, you know, I have friends and stuff who who talk about using AI in this way.
总的来说,对学生而言,这似乎是个好坏参半的情况。
Like, overall, for the students, it sounds like a mixed bag.
比如,有些学生把AI当作工具、学习伙伴、编辑、头脑风暴搭档,而有些人则将其视为目的本身。
Like, you have some students that are using AI as a tool, as a as a study buddy, as an editor, as a brainstorming partner, and then some people who are using it as a kind of an end and of itself.
对吧?
Right?
就是用它来完成所有工作。
Like, so using it to do all of the work.
是的。
Yeah.
没错。
That's right.
所以,
And so,
我是说,教授们对此作何反应?
I mean, how are professors responding to this?
这很复杂,学术界的反应似乎真的取决于你与谁交谈。
It's complicated, and it seems like the academic response really depends on who you talk to.
在生成式AI革命三年后,目前仍没有广泛共识。
So three years into the generative AI revolution, there is no broad consensus.
我采访过一些教授,他们完全禁止学生在课堂上使用AI,而另一些则持接纳态度。
I've spoken to professors that are banning it outright in their classes and others who are embracing it.
好的。
Okay.
那么跟我聊聊你听到的一些观点吧。
So tell me about some of these, you know, perspectives that you're hearing.
好的。
Yeah.
我们先从莱斯利·克莱门特说起。
Let's start with Leslie Clement.
她是约翰逊C学院的教授。
She's a professor at Johnson C.
史密斯大学,位于北卡罗来纳州夏洛特市的一所传统黑人大学。
Smith University, a historically black university in Charlotte, North Carolina.
它彻底改变了我的教学方式。
It's absolutely changed how I teach.
它拓展了我的思维方式和学习方式。
It's expanded how I, think and how I learn.
克莱门特教授英语、西班牙语和非洲研究。
Clement teaches English, Spanish, and African studies.
她告诉我,她的目标始终是培养学生的批判性、道德性和包容性思维。
She told me her goal has always been to foster critical, ethical, and inclusive thinking in her students.
起初她对人工智能持怀疑态度,但现在她说她的使命是确保学生将这些技能同样应用于人工智能的使用。
And at first, she was skeptical about AI, but now she says it's her mission to ensure her students apply those same skills to how they use AI.
我们鼓励他们使用AI,因为我们知道他们一定会用,但要以负责任的方式使用。
We encourage them to use it because we know they're gonna use it, but to use it in a responsible way.
那么在实践中这具体是怎样的呢?
So so what does that look like in practice?
克莱门特表示,她允许学生使用AI来生成论文大纲并为研究寻找资料来源。
So Clement says she allows her students to use AI to create outlines for papers and to find sources for their research.
她说她还会教导学生核实AI提供的信息,因为AI确实会犯错。
She says she also teaches her students to fact check what AI gives them because it does make mistakes.
如果学生使用AI修改或润色论文,她会要求学生将初稿与AI修改版进行对比,并思考
And if students use AI to refine or edit their papers, she asks them to compare the original draft to the AI version and reflect on
AI所做的改动。
the changes it made.
这真的很有意思。
That's really interesting.
所以她是在接受AI存在的同时,也让学生审视AI的使用方式以及从中获得了什么。
So it's like she's accepting that the AI exists, but she's also making them kind of interrogate the use of it and what they are getting from using it.
是的。
Yeah.
她再次强调,要在使用AI的同时培养批判性思维能力。
Again, she's trying to foster those critical thinking skills alongside the AI.
克莱门特还与其他两位教授共同创建了一门名为《AI与非洲侨民》的新课程。
And Clement also co created a new course with two other professors called AI and the African Diaspora.
克莱门特表示他们还向学生介绍了一个名为Latimer.ai的大型语言模型,我之前其实从未听说过。
Clement says they also introduce students to a large language model called Latimer dot ai, which I had actually never heard of before.
它某种程度上被视为黑人版的ChatGPT。
So it's kind of considered the Black Chat GPT.
据说它能提供比ChatGPT更多关于黑人历史和黑人经历的信息。
So it's supposed to provide more information about black history, black experiences than ChatGPT does.
听起来莱斯利·克莱门特真是全力以赴啊。
So it sounds like Leslie Clement is like really going all in.
她正在拥抱AI的可能性,并用它来增强她的课程和教学。
Like she's embracing possibilities of AI and using it to kinda enhance her curriculum and her teaching.
但我猜有很多教授可能和她意见不一致。
But I'm I'm guessing there are a lot of professors who may not be on the same page as her.
你说得完全正确。
You would definitely be correct.
我采访过一位持不同观点的人,他认为AI实际上可能造成严重危害。
And I talked to someone who isn't, who thinks AI may actually cause serious harm.
如果我们不够谨慎,AI的存在可能会毒害我们与学生的关系。
If we're not careful, the presence of AI can poison our relationships with our students.
相关内容稍后继续。
That's coming up.
请继续收听。
Stay with us.
本周NPR政治播客发布的新民调显示,总统支持率创新低,在关于明年应由谁掌控国会的问题上民主党领先14个百分点。
This week on the NPR Politics Podcast, a new NPR poll shows the president's approval at a new low and Democrats up 14 points on the question of who should control congress next year.
上次出现如此大的差距后,民主党在一年后赢得了40个席位。
The last time the gap was this wide, a year later, democrats won 40 seats.
但民主党本身也并不太受欢迎。
But democrats aren't exactly popular either.
我们将在NPR政治播客中详细分析这些内容。
We'll break it all down on the NPR politics podcast.
本周请在NPR应用程序或您获取播客的任何地方收听。
Listen this week on the NPR app or wherever you get your podcasts.
《魔法坏女女》曾轰动一时,为阿丽安娜·格兰德和辛西娅·埃里沃赢得了奥斯卡提名,但这只是故事的一半。
Wicked was a smash hit that earned Oscar nominations for Ariana Grande and Cynthia Erivo, but that was only the first half of the story.
:
Wicked for good is every bit as splashy as the first installment, but can it match the impact of its predecessor and live up to the hype?
请收听NPR应用程序或您获取播客的任何地方中的流行文化快乐时光。
Listen to pop culture happy hour in the NPR app or wherever you get your podcasts.
在NPR的Wildcard播客中,苏莱卡·贾瓦德反思了她在二十多岁接受癌症治疗时结识的朋友的离去。
On NPR's wildcard podcast, Suleika Jawad reflects on losing friends she met while getting treated for cancer in her twenties.
而事实是,我愿意承受任何程度的悲伤来体验那些爱。
And the truth is I would experience any amount of grief to experience those loves.
请在NPR应用程序或YouTube上的NPR Wildcard观看或收听那段Wildcard对话。
Watch or listen to that wildcard conversation on the NPR app or on YouTube at NPR Wildcard.
我们继续周日故事,与记者李·盖恩斯讨论人工智能与高等教育。
We're back with the Sunday story talking to journalist Lee Gaines about AI and higher ed.
那么,Lee,你跟我提到过有人对AI的好处持怀疑态度。
So, Lee, you told me about someone who is skeptical about the benefits of AI.
那人是谁呢?
So who was that?
是的。
Yeah.
现在我想向你介绍Dan Cryer。
Now I want to introduce you to Dan Cryer.
他是堪萨斯州约翰逊社区学院的英语教授。
He's an English professor at Johnson Community College in Kansas.
如果以0到10分来衡量,10分代表AI工具对人文学科教育极其有益,0分代表不仅无益反而有害,我大概会打1到2分。
I think that on a scale of zero to ten, ten being AI tools are extremely beneficial to humanities education, and zero being not only are they not beneficial, but they're actively harmful, I'm probably in, like, a one or a two.
Cryer最大的担忧是AI工具会成为捷径,让学生错过他们报名接受的教育。
So Cryer's biggest concern is that AI tools are going to act as a shortcut that cheats students out of the education they signed up for.
他告诉我问题部分在于学生有时认为教育的目标是期末论文、分数或学位。
He told me that part of the problem is students sometimes think the goal of education is the final paper or the grade or the degree.
我试图让学生们明白,重点不在于成品本身。
I try to convince students that the product is not where it's at.
我们并不需要更多大学生写的研究论文。
Like, we don't need more research papers written by college students.
我们需要的是让学生经历撰写研究论文的过程,这样他们才能成为更好的思考者,能够构建连贯的论点,区分优质与劣质的信息来源,写出有力的段落。
What we need is students to go through the process of writing research papers so that they can become better thinkers, so that they can put together a cogent argument, so they can differentiate between a good source and a bad source, so they can write a strong paragraph.
嗯。
Yeah.
就是我们之前讨论过的那些批判性思维能力。
Those critical thinking skills that we talked about earlier.
没错,克莱尔认为使用AI会让学生们剥夺自己从这一过程中获益的机会。
Exactly, and Cryer thinks that by using AI, students are robbing themselves of the benefits of that process.
他说这就像我们去健身房,却认为重点是让杠铃上下移动,而不是为了增肌。
He says it's like if we went to the gym and we thought that the point was for the weights to move up and down rather than to build muscle.
这个类比确实让我深有感触,因为就像你必须实际练习那些不舒服的事——比如坐下来面对空白屏幕,从无到有地创作。
I mean, that analogy really makes sense to me because you have to, like, practice actually doing the uncomfortable thing of sitting down and looking at a blank screen and making something come out of nothing.
完全同意。
Totally.
我是说,作为记者,你我都很清楚要达到对写作充满信心的程度需要付出大量努力。
And I mean, I think you and I really understand that as journalists, like it took a lot of work to get to a point where we feel confident with our writing.
在克莱尔看来,使用AI基本上就像把叉车搬进健身房。
In Cryer's mind, using AI is basically like bringing a forklift to the gym.
而且很多大学,包括克莱尔所在的学校,经常免费向学生提供微软Copilot这类AI工具。
And to add to that, many colleges, including Cryer's, often provide AI tools like Microsoft's Copilot to students for free.
克莱尔认为这让学生陷入两难,因为用AI代劳所有作业变得极其容易。
And Cryer thinks this puts students in a tough spot because it becomes super easy for them to use it to do all their work for them.
然后即便工具在引诱他们越界,不跨过那条线反而成了他们的责任。
And then it further becomes their responsibility to not cross that line even as the tool is kind of beckoning them over it.
确实,那种诱惑肯定很难抗拒。
I mean, yeah, that would definitely be pretty irresistible.
但我们知道这种做法的后续影响是什么吗?
But do we know what the downstream impacts of that are?
比如,是否有研究确实表明AI会损害批判性思维能力?
Like, is there research that actually shows that AI harms critical thinking skills?
嗯,我认为现在判断长期影响还为时过早,但已有一些证据表明过度依赖AI工具确实会影响批判性思维能力。
Well, I would say it's still too early to know what the long term impacts might be, but there is some evidence that increased reliance on AI tools does impact critical thinking skills.
麻省理工学院的一项研究记录了使用AI撰写论文人群的脑部活动,对照组分别使用谷歌搜索和仅靠自身思考。
So there's a study from MIT that recorded the brain activity of people using AI to write essays, while another group used Google search, and a third group used nothing but their own brains.
研究发现,在三组人群中,使用AI的那组神经连接活跃度最低。
And they found that of the three groups, the people who used AI had lower neural connectivity and engagement.
我是说,这听起来不太妙,或者说这似乎不是AI对我们大脑影响的积极信号。
I mean, that don't sound good or that that doesn't sound like a good sign for what AI may be doing to our brains.
是啊。
Yeah.
确实不是。
It it really doesn't.
而且这也是学生们同样担忧的问题。
And it's something that students are also concerned about.
还记得明尼苏达大学的阿伊莎·塔拉娜吗?她曾为一项研究项目采访了10名学生。
So remember Ayesha Tarana who interviewed 10 students for a research project at the University of Minnesota?
嗯。
Yeah.
嗯。
Yeah.
她告诉我,在采访中关于AI的这种担忧频繁出现。
Well, she told me this fear of AI came up a lot during her interviews.
我发现最大的担忧是围绕AI阻碍批判性思维的讨论,因为我们生活在一个被技术包围的世界里。
The biggest concern that I found was the conversation around it hindering critical thinking because we also live in a very, like, technology surrounding world.
我们总是沉浸在Instagram、Snapchat、TikTok或其他形式的社交媒体中。
Like, we're constantly on Instagram, Snapchat, or, like, TikTok or some form of social media.
大脑里总有各种噪音,有时候感觉连思考的空间都没有。
There's always noise in our brains that sometimes, like, you don't have room to think, I feel like sometimes.
所以即使你想进行批判性思考,现在又多了个让你不去批判性思考的出口。
So even when you want to critically think, well, here's another outlet for you to not critically think.
砰。
Boom.
这很方便。
It's convenient.
现在,塔拉娜与堪萨斯的丹·克莱尔观点一致。
And now, Tarana agrees with Dan Cryer in Kansas.
她认为AI对高等教育价值有限,事实上,它带来的潜在危害可能大于益处。
She doesn't think AI has much value for higher education, and in fact, thinks it poses more potential harm than benefit.
教授们如何应对那些使用AI工具代做作业的学生?
And how are professors dealing with students who are using AI tools to do their work for them?
这是个重大问题,根据我的报道,可以说它正在教室里引发一场真正的信任危机。
It's a huge issue, and from my reporting, I would say that it's creating a real crisis of trust in classrooms.
问题部分在于,本应帮助教授识别AI使用的技术——即AI检测工具——并不可靠。
So part of the problem is the technology that's supposed to help professors catch AI use, known as AI detection tools, are unreliable.
它们有时会把人类写的作业标记为AI生成,反之亦然。
They sometimes label work written by humans as being AI generated and vice versa.
此外,现在还有一些工具可以帮助人们将写作风格人性化,从而绕过AI检测软件。
Also, there are now tools people can use to humanize their writing to bypass AI detection software.
老实说,这简直是一团糟。
It's a mess, honestly.
但需要明确的是,一些学生使用AI的方式可能会被许多人认为是不道德的。
But to be clear, some students are using AI in ways that a lot of people would probably describe as unethical.
我在TikTok上快速搜索了一下,就发现很多人在使用AI或讨论用AI替他们完成所有作业的例子,还有其他人给出如何做到这一点的建议。
So just a quick search on TikTok, and I found a lot of examples of people using AI or talking about using AI to do all the work for them and other people giving advice for how to do that.
我是斯坦福大学的大四学生,我所有的论文都是用AI写的。
I'm a senior at Stanford, and every single one of my essays has been written by AI.
友情提醒:大学根本没办法知道你申请大学的论文是否用了AI。
Friendly reminder that colleges have literally no way of knowing if you used AI to write your college essays.
在大学里不用AI,你就完蛋了。
If you're not using AI in college, you're cooked.
没错。
Yes.
这无关紧要。
It doesn't matter.
无论是GPA4.0的优等生还是1.6的差生都一样。
You could be a four point o GPA student or a 1.6 GPA student.
我所有聪明的朋友都在用。
All my smart friends use it.
我不聪明的朋友们也都在用。
All my friends who aren't smart use it too.
所以你指的是作弊者。
So you're talking about the cheaters.
对。
Yeah.
我说的就是这类人。
That is who I'm talking about.
这位是约翰逊学院的莱斯利·克莱门特教授。
And here's Leslie Clement again, the professor at Johnson C.
北卡罗来纳州的史密斯大学。
Smith University in North Carolina.
总有学生提交整篇论文——他们只是输入论文要求让GPT生成,然后原封不动交给我们。
We have students who continue to turn in full papers that they just put in the criteria for the paper and check GPT, and they give us those exact papers.
为解决这个问题,克莱门特正尝试改变她的教学方式。
So to deal with this, Clement is trying to change how she teaches.
她减少了论文作业,增加了课堂协作项目。
She assigns fewer papers and more in class collaborative projects.
现在她布置的家庭阅读量也大幅减少。
She also assigns way less at home reading now.
我让学生在课堂上阅读,因为我知道他们只会去要个摘要。
I have students read in class because I know they're just gonna go and ask for a summary.
我们实际会阅读不同选段,然后在课堂上讨论,最后共同提炼观点。
So we actually read, you know, different excerpts, and then maybe we'll discuss it in class, and then we come up with ideas together.
这确实需要一种全新的教学方式。
This is really, like, requiring, like, a different way of teaching.
对吧?
Right?
百分之百。
100%.
社区大学教授丹·克莱尔也因应AI改变了教学方式。
Dan Cryer, the community college professor, has also changed the way he teaches in response to AI.
他告诉我,他已大幅减少在线教学量,现在更常让学生在课堂上写作。
He told me he's drastically reduced the amount of online teaching he does, and he has students write in class more often now.
他表示这反映了一个更大的问题。
He says that this is emblematic of a bigger issue.
AI给教育工作者带来了更多工作,其中部分工作就是要防止对AI使用的猜疑破坏师生关系。
AI has created more work for educators, And part of that work is not letting suspicions around AI use poison relationships with students.
如果你总是从监督学生、阻止他们使用这些工具的角度来看待他们的作业,那么师生之间如此关键的信任关系就已经被彻底破坏了。
If you are always thinking of your students' work from the point of policing them and keeping them from using these tools, then that trust relationship that is so key between students and teachers has really broken down.
所以退一步看,似乎这项技术存在诸多看似合理的批评,而对其使用的监管可能会削弱师生间的信任,真正损害彼此关系。
So it it seems like kinda stepping back for a moment, like, there are all of these seemingly valid criticisms of this technology, and how policing of this technology could erode the trust between professors and students, and really hurt the relationship.
但另一方面,我们也听到了福特汉姆大学校长坦尼娅·泰特洛的观点,她早些时候表示,大学正面临着真正的紧迫性,因为就业市场正在变化,而应对未来的经济将需要人工智能。
But then on the other hand, we also heard from Tanya Tetlow, the president of Fordham University, and she said earlier that universities are facing a real urgency here because the job market is changing, and AI is going to be needed to deal with the economy of tomorrow.
那么大学该如何应对所有这些矛盾呢?
So how do universities deal with all of those contradictions?
这简直是个价值十亿美元的问题。
That is, like, the billion dollar question.
但我要说的是,泰特洛认为不作为不是一种选择。
But I will say that Tetlow says doing nothing isn't an option.
她也不认为大学应该不加批判地全盘接受人工智能。
She also doesn't think universities should just embrace AI uncritically.
她表示高等教育的职责是示范负责任与不负责任使用之间的区别。
She says higher ed's role is to model the difference between responsible and irresponsible use.
我认为当我们把AI作为工具来更好地完成重要而有意义的工作时,这就是负责任的使用。
I think that where we use AI as a tool to do important and good work better, it is responsible.
当我们放弃判断力和责任,将之完全交给技术而不持续监督和核查其准确性时,我们就违背了自己的职责和义务。
Where we seed our judgment and responsibilities to technology without constant monitoring and checking of its accuracy, we have violated our own duties and responsibilities.
但我们必须将其作为一种始终受控的工具,而非将最重要的职能交给没有灵魂、缺乏良知的机器。
But we need to have it as a tool always within our control, not to give over our most important functions to a soulless machine that has no conscience.
因此特特洛认为,AI作为受人类控制的工具是负责任的。
So Tetlow is saying AI as a tool under human control, responsible.
AI若替代人类判断则是不负责任的。
AI as a replacement for human judgment, irresponsible.
但正如我们听到的,高等教育界对教授们应该接纳还是抵制这项技术存在分歧。
But as we've heard, there's disagreement within higher ed about whether professors should embrace or reject this technology.
那么学生们该何去何从?
So where does this leave students?
我想谈谈马克斯·蒙杜斯的经历。
Well, I wanna talk about what happened to Max Moundus.
这位范德堡大学计算机科学专业的学生,在ChatGPT刚发布时曾感到恐惧。
He's the computer science major from Vanderbilt who was terrified by ChatGPT when it was first released.
所以,他现在情况如何了?
So, yeah, where where is he now?
他现在实际上在范德堡大学担任AI研究工程师。
He's actually working as an AI research engineer for Vanderbilt University.
所以他正在为大学进行AI研究并开发AI工具。
So he's doing AI research and building AI tools for the university.
好的。
Okay.
所以他基本上,就像是与机器或AI融为一体了
So he so he basically, like, became one with the machines or the I
我是说,他拥抱了曾经令他担忧的技术。
mean, he embraced the technology that was worrying him.
我我太喜欢这个了。
I I love that.
与机器
Become one with the
与机器融为一体。
become one with the machine.
展开剩余字幕(还有 42 条)
百分之百认同。
A hun a 100%.
我会说他完全投身其中了。
I would say he just leaned right into it.
那一刻我突然顿悟,意识到自己能看到这项技术的潜力及其增强传统工作的多种方式,这种视角本身就是有价值的。
I had this moment where everything just clicked, and I realized that my ability to see the capability of this technology and the different ways that it could augment traditional work, that perspective itself was valuable.
而且我的计算机科学知识并没有过时,它恰恰让我懂得如何有效利用这项技术。
And that my computer science knowledge wasn't obsolete, it was actually what enabled me to understand how to leverage this technology effectively.
那么我最后想问的是,面对这么多不同观点,我们社会该何去何从?
I guess my last question to you then is, with all of these different viewpoints, where does that leave us as a society?
我是说,
I mean,
在我看来,这就像一场无人同意的高等教育大型实验。
to me, this looks like one massive experiment on higher ed that no one consented to.
要知道,Chat发布时可没有附带说明书。
You know, Chat didn't come with a guidebook when it was released.
它就这样被投放到了世界上,现在成了每个人都要面对的挑战。
It was just put into the world, and now it's everyone's challenge to deal with.
现实是人工智能不会消失。
And the reality is AI isn't going anywhere.
高等教育必须适应它,但我们实际上还不完全了解对学生来说的全部风险或益处,这项研究正在实时地对整个一代学生进行。
Higher education has to adapt to it, but we really don't understand the full risks or the benefits to students yet, and that research is actually happening in real time on an entire generation of students.
如果高等教育处理得当,或许大学和学院可以利用人工智能来强化学习,培养学生从事需要监管这项技术应用的工作。
And if higher ed gets this right, maybe universities and colleges can supercharge learning using AI and train students for jobs where they'll be overseeing the use of this technology.
如果我们处理不当,或许学生将无法培养批判性思维能力,并会面临被人工智能侵蚀的残酷就业市场。
And if we get it wrong, maybe students won't develop critical thinking skills and they'll be in this unforgiving job market eroded by AI.
或许整个高等教育的价值会被贬低。
Maybe higher ed as a whole will be devalued.
风险真的不能再高了。
The stakes really couldn't be higher.
这确实看起来会成为我们这个时代的一个关键问题。
This really does seem like it will be a key question for our time.
Leigh,非常感谢你的这些报道。
Leigh, thank you so much for all of this reporting.
非常感谢你邀请我,Ayesha。
Thank you so much, Ayesha, for having me.
以上是教育记者Leigh Gaines的报道。
That was education reporter Leigh Gaines.
本报道由Tarbell人工智能新闻中心提供资助支持。
This reporting was supported by a grant from the Tarbell Center for AI journalism.
如果你想了解更多关于AI在教育领域的应用,我们的朋友在Ted Radio Hour播客中制作了一个系列节目《孩子们还好吗?》
And if you want to hear more about AI in education, our friends over at the Ted Radio Hour podcast have a series called Are the Kids Alright?
该节目探讨了AI在小学课堂中的应用。
That looks at the use of AI in elementary school classrooms.
本期《周日故事》由Andrew Mambo制作。
This episode of the Sunday story was produced by Andrew Mambo.
编辑是Jenny Schmidt。
The editor was Jenny Schmidt.
音频工程由罗伯特·罗德里格斯负责,事实核查由萨希尔·戴维斯·巴斯克斯完成。
It was engineered by Robert Rodriguez, fact checking by Saseel Davis Vasquez.
周日故事栏目组的其他成员包括贾斯汀·严和莉安娜·塞姆斯特罗姆。
The rest of the Sunday story team includes Justine Yan and Liana Semstrom.
艾琳·野口是我们的执行制片人。
Irene Noguchi is our executive producer.
本期节目中,您听到了来自TikTok用户advicewithshiv、studyfetchalex、collegeguy2和ivroadmap的社交媒体片段,我是阿伊莎·罗斯科。
In this episode, you heard social media clips from TikTok users advicewithshiv, studyfetchalex, collegeguy2 ivroadmap, I'm Ayesha Roscoe.
《Up First》明日将回归,为您带来开启新一周所需的全部新闻。
Up First is back tomorrow with all the news you need to start your week.
在那之前,祝您周末愉快。
Until then, have a great rest of your weekend.
想听无广告插播的播客吗?
Wanna hear this podcast without sponsor breaks?
亚马逊Prime会员可通过Amazon Music收听无赞助商内容的《Up First》,您也可以通过plus.npr.org支持NPR的重要新闻报道并获取《Up First Plus》。
Amazon Prime members can listen to Up First sponsor free through Amazon Music, or you can also support NPR's Vital Journalism and get Up First Plus at plus.npr.org.
那是plus.npr.org。
That's plus.npr.org.
这是一个安全空间。
This is a safe space.
你多久会在Zillow上刷看房子?
How often do you scroll on Zillow looking at homes?
现在有很多人觉得买房不在他们的未来计划中,至少短期内不是。
There are a lot of people who right now don't feel like it's in their future, at least not in their in their near term future.
如果现阶段购房梦遥不可及,我们这些想分一杯羹的人该怎么办?
If homeownership is awash at this point, what's next for those of us who want a piece of the pie?
在NPR应用或你获取播客的任何平台收听《It's Been a Minute》。
Listen to it's been a minute on the NPR app or wherever you get your podcasts.
互联网让任何人都能将创意转化为收入,数百万人正在尝试。
The Internet made it possible for anyone to turn creativity into income, and millions are trying.
但当我们的想法、语言甚至文化都被可货币化的内容所塑造时,会发生什么?
But what happens when our ideas, our language, even our culture are shaped by what's monetizable?
本周,TED Radio Hour将探讨创作者经济的崛起,以及AI等新技术如何定义我们未来的价值取向。
This week, TED Radio Hour explores the rise of the creator economy and how new tech like AI could define what we value next.
请在NPR应用或您获取播客的任何平台收听。
Listen on the NPR app or wherever you get your pie.
关于 Bayt 播客
Bayt 提供中文+原文双语音频和字幕,帮助你打破语言障碍,轻松听懂全球优质播客。