本集简介
双语字幕
仅展示文本字幕,不包含中文音频;想边听边看,请使用 Bayt 播客 App。
你正在收听TIP。
You're listening to TIP.
你好。
Hi there.
在多年采访优秀投资者的过程中,我学到的一点是,他们不仅极其聪明,而且在管理情绪方面也异常出色。
One thing I've learned over many years of interviewing great investors is that they're not just incredibly smart, they're also remarkably good at managing their emotions.
但当普通投资者被恐惧和贪婪,甚至彻底的恐慌所左右时,最优秀的投资者往往能保持相对冷静和平衡。
But times when the average investor is getting yanked around by fear and greed or downright panic, the best investors tend to stay relatively calm and balanced.
他们不会被市场那些疯狂的短期情绪波动所裹挟。
They're not getting swept up in all those crazy short term manic mood swings of the market.
相反,最成功的投资者具备情绪上的自控力,能够更清晰地思考,并以更理性、更超然的方式专注于长期目标。
Instead, the most successful investors have the emotional self control to think more clearly and to stay focused on the long term in a much more rational and dispassionate way.
这种管理情绪的能力,如今似乎尤为重要。
This ability to manage our emotions seems particularly important right now.
正如你所知,今年上半年,股市迎来了五十多年来最糟糕的开局。
As I'm sure you know, in the first six months of this year, the stock market got off to its worst start in more than half a century.
许多投资者因这些亏损而感到十分不安,现在他们越来越担心从飙升的通货膨胀到经济衰退风险加剧等各种问题。
A lot of investors are feeling pretty shaken up by these losses, and now they're increasingly worried about everything from surging inflation to the growing risk of a recession.
那么,像你我这样的投资者,如何才能获得在金融市场乃至生活中取得成功所需的平和、平衡与内心的安宁呢?
So how can investors like you and me achieve the kind of equanimity, balance, and peace of mind we need to succeed not only in financial markets, but in life?
这正是我们今天这期播客节目要探讨的核心问题。
That's really the key question we're exploring in today's episode of the podcast.
我们今天的嘉宾是丹尼尔·戈尔曼,他是情绪科学领域全球领先的专家之一。
Our guest today is Daniel Goleman, who's one of the world's leading experts on the science of emotion.
丹是《情商》一书的作者,这本书在过去二十五年里以约四十种语言售出超过五百多万册。
Dan is the author of Emotional Intelligence, a blockbuster book that sold more than 5,000,000 copies in about 40 languages over the last twenty five years.
他最初在哈佛大学获得临床心理学博士学位,之后多年作为《纽约时报》的科学记者撰写关于大脑研究的文章。
He started out by getting his PhD in clinical psychology at Harvard, and he then spent many years writing about brain research as a science reporter for The New York Times.
正如你将在对话中听到的,丹的生活中还有另一面,这使他成为帮助我们更好掌控情绪的理想人选。
As you'll hear in this conversation, there's also another side of Dan's life that makes him an ideal person to help us gain more control over our emotions.
五十多年前,他开始认真修习冥想,前往印度和斯里兰卡,向内姆·卡罗利·巴巴等著名导师学习。
More than fifty years ago, he became a serious practitioner of meditation, traveling to India and Sri Lanka to study with famous teachers like Neem Karoli Baba.
在那个年代,冥想对西方投资界的人来说看起来是一种相当古怪和神秘的活动。
Back in those days, meditation seemed like a pretty eccentric and exotic activity to people here in the West in the investment world.
但丹早已走在了潮流前面。
But Dan was way ahead of the curve.
如今,许多最成功的投资者都会定期、规律地进行冥想,包括对冲基金亿万富翁雷·达利奥。
These days, a lot of the most successful investors meditate regularly and routinely, including Ray Dalio, the hedge fund multibillionaire.
正如丹·戈尔曼所解释的,冥想对投资者尤其有价值,因为它能帮助我们做出冷静、清醒的决策,而不是被情绪拖后腿。
As Dan Goleman explains, meditation can be particularly valuable for investors because it helps us to make calm, clear headed decisions instead of getting sabotaged by our emotions.
在这次对话中,丹分享了许多切实可行的建议,告诉我们当情绪泛滥时该如何应对,包括一个非常简单的呼吸练习,可以帮助我们恢复内心的平静。
In this conversation, Dan shares a number of really practical lessons about what we can do when we're flooded with emotion, including a very simple breathing exercise we can use to help restore our peace of mind.
他谈到了识别身体中压力和焦虑早期预警信号的好处,这样我们就能真正采取行动。
He talks about the benefits of recognizing early warning signs of stress and anxiety in your body so you can actually do something about it.
它还探讨了在我们不断被各种干扰包围的时代,如何提升专注力。
It talks about how you can improve your focus in an era when we're all being bombarded constantly by distractions.
他还分享了他与达赖喇嘛友谊中学到的一些最有价值的教训。
He also shares some of the most valuable lessons he's learned from his friendship with the Dalai Lama.
我希望你们喜欢我们的对话,并像我一样从中受益。
I hope you enjoy our conversation and find it as helpful as I did.
非常感谢你们的参与。
Thanks so much for joining us.
您正在收听《更富有、更睿智、更快乐》播客,主持人威廉·格林将采访世界上最伟大的投资者,探讨如何在市场和生活中取得成功。
You're listening to the richer, wiser, happier podcast where your host, William Green, interviews the world's greatest investors and explores how to win in markets and life.
大家好。
Hi, everyone.
我非常高兴能与丹尼尔·戈尔曼在一起。
I'm absolutely delighted to be here with Daniel Goleman.
见到你真好,丹。
It's great to see you, Dan.
非常感谢你加入我们。
Thanks a lot for joining us.
哦,威廉,这真是我的荣幸。
Oh, William, it's my pleasure.
我总是很喜欢和你交谈。
I always enjoy talking to you.
谢谢。
Thank you.
我想从问你两个关于你的人开始,我认为他们在你攻读哈佛大学临床心理学博士学位的关键时期,对你产生了非常深刻且可能改变人生的影响。
I'd like to start by asking you about two people who I think had a very profound and probably life changing impact on you at a formative point in your life when you were working towards your PhD in clinical psychology at Harvard.
在某种程度上,我认为这两个人帮助你走上了这条非凡的道路,这条道路我认为影响了数百万人的生活。
And in some ways, I think these two people helped to set you on this extraordinary path that's, I would say, had an impact on many millions of people's lives.
第一个是戴维·麦克莱兰。
So the first one is David McClellan.
在你的书《原始领导力》中,你称他为你的第一个灵感来源。
And in your book Primal Leadership, you describe him as your first inspiration.
你说他的研究和理论塑造了你大部分的工作。
And you say that his research and theories shaped much of your own work.
所以我想知道,你能否告诉我们他是谁,为什么他对你如此重要,你从他身上学到了什么。
So I wondered if you could tell us who he was, why he was such an important influence on you, what you learned from him.
大卫是我研究生时期的导师。
David was my mentor in graduate school.
当时,他可能是最著名的在世心理学家之一。
He was at the time probably one of the most famous living psychologists.
他因在动机方面的研究而闻名。
He was known for his work on motivation.
影响我并为我指明方向的是他后期关于卓越绩效者所具备而普通员工不具备的能力的研究。
And what affected me and set a direction for me was his later work, which was on the competencies that you find in star performers that you don't find in average.
这在当时是一个全新的理念。
This was a new idea at the time.
他在主要的心理学期刊上发表了一篇极具影响力的文章,指出:如果你要招聘一个人,不要看他们的绩点,也不要关注他们的性格测评。
He wrote a very influential article in the main psychology journal saying, look, if you're going to hire someone, don't look at their grade point average, don't look at their personality profile.
而是要找出你所在组织中在该岗位上表现卓越的人,再将他们与那些仅表现平平、 mediocre 的人进行对比,分析卓越者具备而普通者缺乏的能力或特质。
Look at someone in your own organisation who exemplifies outstanding performance in that role, and then compare them with people who are in the role who only have average performance, mediocre performance, and assess what competencies or abilities the stars have that you don't see in the average.
然后,招聘那些像卓越者一样的人。
Then hire people that look like the stars.
这成为了如今所谓的胜任力模型的理论或哲学基础。
This became the theoretical or philosophical basis for what's now called competence modeling.
他是胜任力运动的先驱之一。
And he was one of the pioneers of the competency movement.
如今,全球绝大多数大型企业都为其领导者建立了胜任力模型。
Most every major corporation in the world now has a competence model for its leaders.
遗憾的是,许多这些模型是通过询问领导者他们认为什么重要而建立的,而不是基于实际数据来判断什么真正重要。
Sadly, too many of those models are made by asking leaders what they think matters instead of looking at empirical data on what matters.
它们可能不够扎实。
They may not be as sound.
但人们认为麦克莱兰的研究极具说服力,加上其他成为该运动先驱的人,使得世界各地的公司现在都采用了这些模型。
But people are I think McLean's work was so convincing and the others who became pioneers in the movement that companies everywhere now have these models.
当我撰写《情商》的续作《工作中的情绪智力》时,我研究了100多个这样的模型。
I was able to look at more than a 100 of them when I wrote the follow-up book to emotional intelligence, working with emotional intelligence.
很明显,如果将这些模型按纯粹认知能力(如智商、技术技能)和情绪智力(即自我觉察、自我管理、同理心和社会技能)分类,高层领导力的80%到90%都基于情绪智力。
And it was very clear that if you separated them in terms of which are based on purely cognitive ability, you know, your IQ, technical skills, and which are based on emotional intelligence, which means self awareness, self management, empathy, and social skill, the leadership, top leadership is 80 to 90% based on emotional intelligence.
也就是说,区分杰出领导者与普通人的能力基于情商。
That is to say, the competencies that distinguish the star leaders from average are based on emotional intelligence.
这个原因很有趣,或许对您的听众来说是有道理的。
The reason for this is interesting, and it it may be of makes sense to your listeners.
如果你想想成为一名成功投资者需要什么,你必须拥有很高的智商。
If you think about what it takes to get in the game to be a successful investor, for example, you have to have a very high IQ.
但你知道吗?
But you know what?
别人都有很高的智商。
So does everybody else.
这意味着进入这一领域的门槛是高智商。
That means that the threshold for entry into the field is a high IQ.
所以,能让你脱颖而出的并不是你的智商。
So what's going to distinguish you isn't your IQ.
而是你如何处理自己。
It's going to be how will you handle yourself?
你将如何感知他人的感受?
How will you tune into other people?
真正让你脱颖而出的,将是你的自我觉察和自我管理能力,这些让你区别于其他高智商的投资者——某种程度上,你们是在竞争。
It's gonna be your self awareness, your self management that sets you apart from the other high IQ investors that you're, I guess, competing with in some sense.
当我撰写关于情绪智力的内容时,戴维·麦克利兰对我影响深远。
So when I wrote emotional intelligence, David McClellan was very influential.
在研究生期间,我偶然遇见了一位名叫拉姆·达斯的人,他在哈佛更广为人知的名字是理查德·阿尔珀特。
Along the way in graduate school, I ran into, by sheer accident, a guy called Ram Dass, who was better known at Harvard as Richard Alpert.
他是哈佛大学历史上第一位被解雇的教授。
He was the first professor ever fired from Harvard University.
他被解雇是因为他和蒂姆·利里一起因倡导使用致幻剂而闻名。
He was fired because he was famous along with Tim Leary for advocating the use of psychedelics.
当我遇见他时,他刚从印度旅行归来,此时他已改名为拉姆·达斯。
And when I ran into him, he had just come back from spending time in India, and he was now going under the name Ramdas.
他不再是理查德·阿尔珀特了。
He wasn't Richard Halpert anymore.
他经历了一次巨大的转变。
He'd gone through a huge transformation.
他基本上是个瑜伽士。
He was basically a yogi.
如果我没记错的话,他来自一个富裕的家庭。
And he'd come from a wealthy family, if I remember rightly.
对吧?
Right?
他是个
He was a He
曾经一度是纽黑文铁路的首席执行官。
was CEO of the New Haven Railroad at one time.
当你见到他时,如果我没记错的话,你是在一座农舍里见到他的,他当时正在弹西塔琴,穿着白色长袍。
And when you met him, if I remember rightly, you met him in a farmhouse where he was playing the sitar and wearing white robes.
我的意思是,从他身为一个……的世界,到这种状态,转变真是巨大。
I mean, this is a pretty big shift from the world of being a in his
他父亲的乡村庄园。
father's country estate.
兰达斯住在一间小房间里,那间房可能曾经是女仆的房间。
And Randhass was living in one little room, which probably was at one time the maid's room.
我不确定。
I don't know.
他全身穿着白色衣服,留着长长的白胡子。
And he was all dressed in white and he had a long white beard.
我遇见他时并不知道他是谁。
I didn't know who he was when I met him.
但当我们开始交谈后,我发现我其实和大卫·麦克莱伦非常熟。
But then when we started talking, turned out I actually had been very close to David McClellan.
是麦克莱伦雇用了他,而麦克莱伦当时是系主任。
It was McClellan who hired him and McClellan was then the chair of the department.
麦克莱伦后来也解雇了他,因为他是系主任。
And McClellan also fired him because he was chair of the department.
我邀请拉姆·达斯回到哈佛,这是他被解雇后第一次回来。
I invited Ram Dass back to Harvard for the first time since he'd been fired.
他做了一场非常振奋人心的演讲,但其实并不是关于心理学的。
And he gave a talk that was actually quite electrifying, but it wasn't about psychology really.
而是关于内在觉醒的游戏,如果你愿意这么称呼的话。
Was about the inner game of awakening, if you will.
他讲了很长时间,我想是从七点一直讲到两点左右。
He went on for, I think from just seven till two or something like that.
人们都被深深吸引住了。
And people were really entranced.
为了让你了解他当时的观点与我所在院系的差异,记得我当时在临床心理学领域。
Just to give you an idea of the difference between his view then and that of the department I was in, remember I was in clinical psychology.
所以第二天吃午饭时,一位教授靠过来,神秘地问我:‘老实说,你觉得他精神失常了吗?’
So I was having lunch the next day with a professor who leans over to me says very conspiratorially, really, tell me, do you think he's psychotic?
我看着这个人,心想:到底谁才是精神失常的那个人?
And I looked at this guy and I'm like, who's psychotic here really?
因为拉姆说这对我来说很有道理。
Because Ram said it made a lot of sense to me.
所以无论如何,这两个人都对我影响深远。
So anyway, those two were very influential.
和拉姆·达斯在一起时,你看到的那些在其他人身上看不到的、在哈佛心理学系这种枯燥、略显干涩但智力上极为严谨的环境中所缺乏的东西,到底是什么?
And what was so striking in being with Ram Dass that you didn't see in other people, that you didn't see in this kind of dry, slightly arid, but intellectually very rigorous world of the Harvard psychology department?
拉姆·达斯原本就来自那个世界,他当时是一位非常受欢迎的教授。
Well, Ram Dass had come from that world and he was a very popular professor.
他早已是一位富有魅力的讲师。
Was a charismatic lecturer already.
作为拉姆·达斯,他继续在讲座中运用这种魅力。
And he continued to use that charisma as Ram Dass in his lectures.
我甚至还去见过他的导师,名叫宁·克罗利·巴巴,他与我以前见过的任何人都不同——他完全专注、充满爱意、活在当下,而且似乎并不受寻常动机的驱使。
And I actually went to see his teacher, whose name was Ning Krolli Baba, who was someone that unlike anyone I'd ever met before, he was absolutely centered, loving, present, and actually didn't seem to be motivated by the usual motivations.
这是戴维·麦克莱兰的专长,关于动机。
Was the expertise of David McClellan, motivation.
他对权力的需求?他实际上说:‘别过来。’
The need for power didn't He actually said, don't come.
他告诉拉姆·达斯:‘你回美国后别提我。’
Told Ram Dass, don't talk about me when you go back to The States.
但达斯却一直不停地谈论他。
Dass talked about him all the time.
但他并不像许多来到美国的印度古鲁那样,对权力、金钱或任何这类他本可以利用的东西毫无兴趣。
But he wasn't interested, unlike a lot of the Indian gurus who came to America, not interested in power, not interested in money, not interested in, you know, all of the things that someone in that position could take advantage of.
他只是完全地活在当下,这是我从未在哈佛教授身上见过的。
And, he was just totally present in a way that I had never seen in my Harvard professors.
顺便说一下,你提到的那些人都是当时顶尖的心理学家。
So you some of the leading psychologists of the day, by the way.
所以你就这样直接去了他在印度的修行所,既没有邀请,他也不认识你。
And so you just showed up at his ashram in India without an invitation, without him knowing who you were.
你当时做了什么?
What did you do?
嗯,我和两个朋友一起来的,我们在印度做的事叫‘达善’,也就是我们说的闲逛。
Well, I came with two other friends, and we did what to do in India, which is called having Darshan, which we would call hanging out.
意思是去见一见。
It means something like go and see.
对吧?
Right?
差不多就是……
Something like Just
和他待在一起,因为他散发出一种宁静的氛围。
be with because he radiated this interstate.
当你和他在一起时,你会感觉像我的朋友拉里·布里连特一样,他现在是一位著名的流行病学家。
And when you were with him, you felt as a friend of mine, Larry Brilliant, who's now a leading epidemiologist.
是的。
Yeah.
他还曾担任谷歌基金会的负责人。
And was head of the Google Foundation as well.
对吧?
Right?
是的。
Yes.
没错。
That's right.
拉里也来见过尼姆·库罗利巴巴,拉里说得非常好。
Larry had also come to see Nim Kuroli Baba, and Larry put it really well.
他说,令人惊讶的不是他爱我们,而是当我们和他在一起时,我们也爱上了所有人。
He said, what was surprising wasn't that he loved us, but then when we were with him, we loved everybody too.
这有点像情感的传染。
It was kind of an emotional contagion.
如果我没记错的话,尼姆·卡拉利巴巴对史蒂夫·乔布斯这样的人也有很大影响。
And Neem Karolibaba, if I remember, had a big impact on people like Steve Jobs as well.
对吧?
Right?
他身上有一种令人着迷的东西,当史蒂夫去见他时,这种魅力深深吸引了西方人。
There was something about him that was intoxicating to West as Steve he went to see him.
威廉
William
乔布斯是拉里的密友。
Jobs was the close friend of Larry.
我认为是拉里劝说史蒂夫去印度见尼姆·科利巴巴,但我也不确定他是否真的见过他。
And I think it was Larry that persuaded Steve to go to India to see Nim Koli Baba, but I'm not sure he ever actually saw him.
但我知道,他床头阅读的书包括一本叫《爱的奇迹》的书,这本书讲的是尼姆·库罗利巴巴。
But I know that his bedside reading included a a book called The Miracle of Love, which is about Nim Kuroli Baba.
还有拉姆·达斯的书《此刻此处》,这本书现在看来既奇特又美妙,它是否也主要讲的是尼姆·卡罗利巴巴?
And is Ram Dass's book Be Here Now, which is kind of a fantastic book given now, a strange and kind of wonderful book, is that basically about Neem Karoli Baba as well?
他在这里谈论的那位上师就是他吗?
Is that the guru he's talking about there?
哈里,是的。
Harry Well, yes.
因此,《此刻当下》这本书的灵感来源于他与尼姆·卡拉利巴巴的相处时光。
So that book Be Here Now was inspired by his stay with Neem Karoli Baba.
这本书后来成为当时的畅销书,我认为它非常有启发性。
That book in turn became a best seller of the day and I think was very inspiring.
之后,拉姆·达斯开始了巡回演讲,成千上万,甚至可能是数十万人前去聆听他的讲座。
Ram Dass went on a lecture circuit after that, and tens of thousands, maybe hundreds of thousands of people went to hear him.
他所谈论的是内在的转变。
What he talked about was the inner transformation.
一点三十。
One:thirty
如果我没记错的话,丹,你实际上是得到了资助去印度,花时间研究这个课题。
If I remember rightly, Dan, you were actually bankrolled to go off to India and spend time researching this.
然后你回到美国,在心理学系攻读博士学位期间,撰写了关于冥想作为压力干预手段的文章。
Then you came back and you wrote about meditation as an intervention for stress as part of your PhD program in the psychology department.
对吗?
Is that right?
没错,但细节其实更有趣。
It is right, but the detail's a little more interesting.
我其实获得了福特基金会的一项奖学金,其中包括一年的海外旅行和学习,而我当时并不知道这件事。
I had a fellowship actually from Ford Foundation that included a year of travel and study abroad, which actually I didn't know about.
后来我充分利用了这个机会。
Then I took advantage of them.
麦卡勒兰替我出面,说他确实在做严肃的研究,这让我得以与尼姆·克劳利、喇嘛、苏菲派和瑜伽士们交往。
McClellan fronted for me And saying, Oh yes, he has serious research to do in that allowed me to hang out with Nim Crowley and Lamas and Sufis and yogis.
懂吗?
Know?
我非常感兴趣的是,冥想实践及相关精神修炼如何改变心智与心灵。
Was very interested in how meditative practices and related spiritual disciplines transform the mind and the heart.
当我回到哈佛时,我想把这一切传达给其他心理学家,但当时的其他心理学家对此并不感兴趣。
And when I came back to Harvard, I thought I wanted to communicate this to other psychologists, but other psychologists weren't very interested in the day.
而我最终所做的,是证明了冥想是一种有效的减压干预手段,如今几十年过去,这一点已被充分证实。
And what I ended up doing was showing that meditation was a useful intervention in stress, which by now, decades later, has been well established.
那时这是一个激进的想法。
Then that was a radical idea.
你当时说,只有三篇关于冥想的科学论文。
You said at the time that there were only three scientific three:thirty
关于冥想的论文。
papers on meditation.
对吧?
Right?
我的意思是,这个
I mean, this
嗯,按照今天的标准,那些研究都相当可疑。
must Well, have William, actually, by today's standards, they were all somewhat dubious.
它们都是轶事报告,其中两篇是轶事报告,还有一篇是非同行评审的出版物。
They're anecdotal reports and two of them were anecdotal reports and one was a non peer reviewed publication.
如今我们的标准更高了。
Our standards are higher these days.
当我回顾我的论文时,考虑到几十年前我们所使用的测量方法,我认为它今天不可能被发表。
When I look at my dissertation, given the measurements we had decades ago, I don't think it would be published today.
现在你会使用脑成像技术,或者采用更复杂的方法。
Now you would use brain imaging or you use much more sophisticated methodology.
那时候我们还没有这些技术。
We didn't have them back then.
所以我想说,我当初直觉认为冥想真的能帮助你更平静、更专注,这一观点已经得到了极大的验证。
So I would say this, that the hunch that I had that meditation really can help you be more calm and more focused has been tremendously well validated.
几年前,我和一位朋友理查德·戴维森合著了一本书,他当时也是哈佛大学麦克莱兰实验室的研究生。
I finished a book published a couple of years ago with a friend, Richard Davidson, who was also a graduate student at McLelland at Harvard.
我们称他为里奇,他后来成为威斯康星大学著名的神经科学家。
And, Ritchie, as we call him, has gone on to become a world famous neuroscientist at University of Wisconsin.
他和我合写了一本书,探讨如今成千上万篇关于冥想的同行评审文章,这些研究清晰地表明存在一种剂量反应关系。
He and I wrote a book looking at the now thousands of peer reviewed articles on meditation, which shows very clearly there is a dose response relationship.
你做得越多,益处就越显著。
The more you do it, the stronger the benefits are.
威廉,这是一本出色的书。
William It's a brilliant book.
我们稍后可能会更多地讨论冥想,但这是控制我们情绪的多种方式之一,无论是在投资还是生活中。
We'll hopefully talk much more about meditation later, but this is among other ways of controlling our emotions, both in investing and life.
但这本书叫《改变的特质》,就放在我身后桌上的这里,我会把它放在节目笔记中。
But this is a book called Altered Traits, which is on my table here behind me, I'll put it in the show notes.
这是一本极好的书。
It's a terrific book.
所以,从某种奇怪的角度来说,你就像从印度和斯里兰卡来的神秘生物,回到一个完全不知所措的世界,对吧?
So in a strange way, you were coming back as this exotic creature from India and I think Sri Lanka, and coming back into this world that didn't really know what had hit it, right?
那个世界对东方瑜伽士并没有特别的兴趣。
That wasn't particularly interested in Eastern yogis.
因此,某种程度上可以说,你虽然可能并未有意识地意识到,却在某种程度上调和并连接了这两个截然不同的世界:哈佛心理学系的科学领域,以及拉姆·达斯、尼姆·卡拉利·巴巴等人所代表的东方灵性世界——他们两千年来一直静坐观察着大脑。
And so in some sense, is it fair to say that you were, without maybe being conscious of it, you were somehow reconciling or bringing together these two very different worlds, the scientific realm of the Harvard psychology department and the realm of people like Ram Dass and Neem Karoli Baba and their world of Eastern spirituality, where they've been sitting around watching the brain for the last two thousand years.
而且他们相信,大脑是可以被改变的。
And I think believed that you could change the brain.
而西方心理学,我认为,认为大脑的特性是相当固定的。
Whereas Western psychology, am I right in thinking, believed it was much more fixed.
是的。
Well, yes.
所以当我回来的时候,神经科学还没有对神经可塑性的理解。
So at the time when I came back, we didn't have the understanding in neuroscience of neuroplasticity.
那是在很久以后才出现的。
That came much later.
神经可塑性基本上说的是:你越锻炼大脑的神经回路,它们之间的连接就会越强。
Neuroplasticity says, basically, the more you exercise brain circuits, the stronger the connectivity between them becomes.
这一点现在已经被充分证实了。
This is now very well established.
当时根本没有人考虑过这个想法。
Then no one even entertained that idea.
那时候,脑科学才刚刚开始发展。
Brain science was just beginning to emerge back in the day.
不仅如此,我写这本书时,西方对东方还存在很多怀疑。
And not only that, there was a lot of skepticism about the East when I wrote the book.
正如你所指出的,获得博士学位后,我确实很难在学术界找到一份合适的工作。
So as you point out, I couldn't really find a job that suited me in academia after getting my PhD.
于是我进入了科学新闻行业。
I went into science journalism.
最终我去了《纽约时报》从事科学写作。
I ended up at the New York Times in writing science.
正是在那时,我写了《情商》这本书,我当时主要想的是商业界和教育界的人们。
And it was then that I wrote the book Emotional Intelligence, which I was really thinking of people in the business world, in the education world.
而我的观点并不是说,在亚洲,人们彻底改变了他们的大脑和心灵。
And the message was not one of, in Asia, they completely transformed their brains and mind.
我的意思是,这会对你有帮助。
It was more, this will help you.
因为西方文化非常务实。
Because Western culture is very pragmatic.
这有什么用呢?
It's like, what use is this?
我能更专注吗?
Can I focus better?
即使在动荡的情况下,我能保持冷静吗?
Can I stay calm even in a turbulent situation?
我的意思是,想想一位投资者。
I mean, think of an investor.
你知道,你的投资失败了,突然间你被恐惧或焦虑淹没。
You know, your investment fails and all of a sudden you're overwhelmed by fear or anxiety.
你该如何应对?
How do you handle that?
情绪智力正是解决这个问题的。
Well, emotional intelligence speaks to that.
在当今这么多干扰中,你该如何保持专注?
And how do you stay focused amidst all the distractions that we have today?
情绪智力正是对此的回应。
Emotional intelligence speaks to that.
因此,我特别注重变得更加务实,尽管我对它的思考深受我在亚洲探索的影响。
So I've really made a point of being more pragmatic, even though the way I think about it is deeply informed by what I've been exploring from Asia.
所以某种程度上,你不得不隐藏这段旅程中更精神化的部分,因为那时它实在太非传统了。
So in a sense, you almost had to conceal this, the more spiritual part of your journey because in a way it was so unconventional in those days.
而如今,你可能更容易公开谈论这些了。
Whereas now it's probably much easier for you to talk about that openly.
是的。
Yeah.
我认为文化已经发生了巨大的变化。
I think that the culture has changed enormously.
正念现在已经是日常新闻了。
Mindfulness is, you know, kind of everyday news now.
你提到我曾去过斯里兰卡。
You mentioned I was in Sri Lanka.
那是我做博士后期间的事。
That was on a postdoc.
我去跟随一位名叫那诺波那塔拉的僧人学习,他撰写了关于心智以及如何运用和转化心智的著作,其依据是公元五世纪为冥想者撰写的指导手册。
And I went to study with a monk named Nyanaponikatara who wrote about the mind and how to work with it and how to transform it based on fifth century texts that were written as manuals for meditators.
那诺波那塔拉实际上出生在德国,但从二十世纪二十年代起就出家为僧,是一位巴利语学者。
And Janapanikal, who actually was German by birth, but had been a monk since the twenties, was a scholar of Pali.
因此他能够接触到这些文献。
And so he had access.
我意识到,威廉,亚洲早已存在一种心理技术,它广为人知且根深蒂固。
And what I realized, William, was there's a psychotechnology, which is well known in Asia, well established.
这种技术已经实际运作了数千年之久。
It's been functioning for thousands of years, literally.
而在西方心理学中,我们直到最近才开始了解它,非常、非常近期。
And that we know nothing about it in Western psychology until very recently, very, very recently.
所以当我开始研究时,它还是完全不为人知的。
So when I started looking into it, it was unknown.
当时面临很多公开的敌意,这可能促使我一开始采取一些隐秘的方式,因为情况还没有改变。
Faced a lot of actual open hostility about it, which probably encouraged me to be a little bit subrosive at the beginning because things had not changed.
也许我和许多其他人共同促成了这种改变。
It may be that I and a host of other people had a hand in changing it.
在印度,我遇到了一位名叫约瑟夫·戈德斯坦的人,他成为最早一批教授内观禅修的主要导师之一,还有整个一代人,比如莎朗·萨茨伯格,也是这个领域中的知名人物。
Know, in India, met someone named Joseph Goldstein, who became one of the first major teachers of what's called insight meditation and a whole generation Sharon Salzberg, another name in that world.
你知道吗?
You know?
我在德里遇到了莎朗,告诉她:嘿。
I I met Sharon in Delhi, I told her, hey.
你知道吗?
You know?
有一个禅修课程。
There's this meditation course.
于是她去了布纳,学习了她现在所教授的内容。
So she went to Bunkai and learned what she now teaches.
所以,你知道,我想我因为她的所有善行而获得了一些业报回报。
So, you know, I I guess I get some karmic credit for all the good she earns.
她是一位了不起的老师。
She's an amazing teacher.
是的。
Yeah.
但我想说的是,当我们刚开始时,这些东西在西方还非常新颖。
But what I'm saying is that when we all started, this was very new in the West.
当然,这个小团体不能独占这场变革的功劳,但确实是其中的一部分。
And, of course, that small group can't take credit for the transformation, but was part of it.
而现在,谈论这些事情要容易多了。
And now it's much easier to talk about these things.
威廉,我想你从大约1984年到1996年都在《纽约时报》工作,当时你正在撰写关于这种新兴的行为科学和大脑研究新发现的内容。
William So you were at the New York Times, I think, from about 1984 to '96, and you were writing about this emerging behavioral science and all this new understanding of the brain.
我的感觉是,他们对这些内容并不特别感兴趣。
And my sense is they weren't particularly excited about some of this stuff.
你开始更想写关于
You started to want to write much more about
那个。
that.
其他呢?
Else?
事情是这样的,当我写《情商》这本书时,我超越了我在《纽约时报》上所能写的内容。
What happened was, you know, when I wrote the book Emotional Intelligence, I went beyond what I had been able to write in the times.
我实际上包含了一些为这本书重写的文章,但大部分内容基于对大脑情绪长达十年的研究,顺便说一句,我的朋友理查德·戴维森是神经科学界这一运动的领军人物,这对我帮助很大。
I included actually some articles that I rewrote for the book, but most of it was based on a decade of research about emotions in the brain, which by the way, my friend, Richard Davidson, was a leader of that movement in neuroscience, which is very helpful to me.
我始终关注我所带到商业领域的事物背后的科学和神经科学基础。
And I've always paid attention to the kind of scientific and neuroscientific underpinning of the things that I'm bringing, say, to the business world.
因为我认为这些内容必须扎根于真实的东西,而不仅仅是当下的潮流。
Because I think it's important that it be rooted in something real, not just the fad of the day.
因此,作为一名科学记者接受的正式训练,对我所进行的写作非常有帮助。
And so actual training as a science journalist has been very useful to me in the writings that I've been doing.
威廉,我认为可以说,过去几年里,我们所有人都经历了一段非常紧张和充满挑战的时光,大家都在努力想办法控制自己的情绪。
William I think it's fair to say that all of us have been through a pretty stressful and challenging time over the last couple of years, and that all of us are trying to figure out how to get our emotions under control.
我们经历了疫情,乌克兰战争,通货膨胀达到四十年来的最高水平,股市持续暴跌。
We've had the pandemic, we've had the war in Ukraine, we've got inflation surging at the highest rate in forty years, the stock market's been plunging.
投资加密货币的听众们正承受着相当痛苦的损失。
Listeners, as who are invested in cryptocurrencies are nursing pretty painful losses.
我们正目睹极端天气事件、政治混乱以及严重的社会分裂。
We're seeing extreme weather events, political mayhem, lots of social division.
因此,我想深入探讨一下,对情绪智力的理解如何真正帮助我们掌控情绪、应对压力。
And so I'd like to talk in some depth about how an understanding of emotional intelligence can really help us to get control over our emotions and deal with stress.
我想知道,你能否先谈谈你整个情绪智力理念中的一个关键支柱——即自我觉察的基础性重要性。
And I wondered if you could start by talking about something that seems like a real linchpin of of your whole way of looking at emotional intelligence, which is the foundational importance of self awareness.
情绪智力包含四个部分。
So there are four parts to emotional intelligence.
第一是自我觉察,它能帮助你更好地管理自己。
The first is self awareness, which leads to being able to manage yourself well.
我认为,这两项能力对于应对日常的混乱至关重要。
And that those are the two abilities, I think, that are absolutely crucial in dealing with the chaos of the day.
如果自我觉察意味着你了解自己的感受、感受的原因、它如何影响你、如何驱动你的想法、情绪以及行动冲动的话。
If self awareness means you know what you're feeling, why you're feeling it, how it's impacting you, how it's driving your thoughts, how it's driving your emotions, how it's driving your impulse to act.
然而,一旦你意识到这些,成熟就是扩大冲动与行动之间的间隔。
However, once you know that, maturity is widening the gap between impulse and action.
所以,如果你想成为一名优秀的投资者,你就不能听从情绪的指挥。
So if you're gonna be a good investor, you don't do what your emotions tell you.
卖出。
Sell.
你会说,嗯,我要坚持下去,市场终会再次上涨,例如。
You say, well, you know, I'm gonna ride it out and the market will rise again, for example.
要做到这一点,你需要自我管理的一个组成部分,即情绪平衡。
And to do that, you need a component of self management, which is called emotional balance.
情绪平衡意味着,是的,你会感受到情绪。
Emotional balance means, yes, you feel the emotion.
你无法控制自己会感受到什么、感受有多强烈、何时会感受到。
You can't dictate what you're going to feel, how strongly you'll feel it, when you'll feel it.
情绪会不请自来。
Emotions just come to us unbidden.
但一旦你感受到了,你就到了一个选择点,那就是你如何反应。
But once you feel it, you have a choice point, and that is how you react.
情绪平衡意味着你能感受到情绪,能与之共处,而不必立即采取行动。
And emotional balance means you can feel the emotion, you can be with it, you don't have to act on it.
事实上,你能更快地从中恢复。
In fact, you can recover from it more quickly.
韧性的操作性定义是,你从情绪低落中恢复过来的速度。
The operational definition of resilience is how quickly you recover from being upset.
一旦你恢复了,你就能更清晰地思考它。
And once you recover, you can think about it more clearly.
我们的执行中心——负责思考该做什么并做出明智决策的大脑部分——与情绪中心之间存在着密切的关系,而情绪中心可能会压倒并劫持它。
There's an intimate relationship between our executive centers, the part of our brain that thinks about what to do and makes good decisions, and the emotional centers, which can overwhelm it and hijack it.
因此,能够从这种被劫持的状态中恢复,我认为对任何人,尤其是对投资者来说都至关重要。
And so being able to recover from that hijack state, I think is absolutely crucial to anybody, particularly to an investor.
让我们来分解一下这一点。
So let's break this down a bit.
如果我们愿意的话,可以深入细致地探讨这个问题,因为你拥有非常独特的一套知识和经验,既了解大脑的工作原理,也了解它在高绩效人群中的运作方式。
If we want to because we can go through this in really some granular detail, because you have a very unusual set of knowledge and experience here, both of how the brain works and how this works in high performing people.
那么,关于如何提高自我觉察、更清楚地意识到我们实际感受到的情绪,有哪些问题是你能问自己的,从而让你停下来审视自己,意识到:天啊,我是不是在以某种不太恰当的方式行事?
So in terms of techniques for how to become more self aware, more aware of what we're actually feeling, what are the sort of questions that you can ask yourself that will actually three:fifty): make you pause and look at yourself and see, God, am I operating in a way that's kind of
这对我来说是一个导致我表现极差的完美前提
a perfect precondition for me to make a really lousy
嗯,我认为从某种意义上说,这要追溯到我在哈佛期间所做的研究,即人们如何体验焦虑和恐惧。
Well, I think it goes back in one sense to some research I did while at Harvard, which is about how people experience anxiety and fear.
有些人非常注重思维和认知,他们的思绪会开始朝这个方向或那个方向飘,通常是担忧或恐惧的想法。
Some people are very mental, very cognitive, and their thoughts start going in, you know, in this direction or that direction, usually worried, fearful thoughts.
或者他们会通过身体感受到,即躯体性焦虑。
Or they feel it in their body, somatic anxiety.
他们的胃感觉怪怪的,或者膝盖发抖,等等。
Their stomach feels weird, or they feel trembling in their knees, whatever.
你可以做的一件事是学会察觉自己早期的焦虑信号,比如:‘我现在开始焦虑了。’
One of the things you can do is learn to pick up the early cues in yourself of, oh, I'm getting anxious now.
你察觉得越早,恢复得就越快。
The earlier you notice, the better you'll be at recovery.
这并不是说,如果你从未察觉到,就为时已晚了,因为你仍然可以事后反思,并为下一次这种情况发生做好准备。
It's not to say that it's too late if you never noticed, because then you can think about it and prepare for the next time this happens.
你在中途意识到:天啊,我焦虑了,出汗了,心跳加速。
You notice in mid arc, oh my God, I'm anxious, sweating, my heart is pounding.
但这很有趣。
But it's interesting.
一旦你能给自己命名正在发生的事情,你的神经功能就会发生转变。
The moment you can name to yourself what's going on, you shift your neural functioning.
当情绪占主导时,比如恐惧、焦虑等,它们会激活相关神经回路,并占据前额叶区域——这个负责清晰、理性思考的大脑部分。
When the emotions are dominant, fear, anxiety, whatever, they are the active circuits and they capture the prefrontal area, the part of the brain that thinks clearly and lucidly.
然而,当你经历焦虑发作时,如果你能意识到:‘我感到焦虑了。’
As you go through the anxiety attack, however, and you can name, oh, I'm anxious.
我感到害怕。
I'm fearful.
我感到生气。
I'm angry.
你会抑制情绪中心,激活位于前额叶区域的语言皮层。
You deactivate the emotional centers and activate the verbal cortex, which is in the prefrontal area.
这会改变大脑中的能量分布,帮助你释放这种情绪。
It shifts the energy in the brain and starts to let you release the feeling.
因此,这是恢复过程的一部分。
So that's part of the recovery.
研究还发现,如果你是冥想者,总体上恢复得会更快。
It turns out also that if you're a meditator, you'll recover more quickly in general.
所以,这种组合(一比三十)非常有效。
So the combination one:thirty is pretty powerful.
让我们短暂休息一下,听听今天赞助商的消息。
Let's take a quick break and hear from today's sponsors.
当你经营一家小企业时,雇对人至关重要。
When you're running a small business, hiring the right person can make all the difference.
合适的员工能提升你的团队,提高生产力,并将你的业务推向新高度。
The right hire can elevate your team, boost your productivity and take your business to the next level.
但找到这样的人本身可能就像一份全职工作。
But finding that person can feel like a full time job in itself.
这就是LinkedIn招聘的用武之地。
That's where LinkedIn jobs comes in.
他们的新AI助手通过为你匹配真正符合需求的顶尖候选人,消除了招聘中的猜测成分。
Their new AI assistant takes the guesswork out of hiring by matching you with top candidates who actually fit what you're looking for.
它不再让你翻阅大量简历,而是根据你的标准筛选申请者,突出最匹配的人选,为你节省数小时时间,并在合适人选出现时助你快速行动。
Instead of sifting through piles of resumes, it filters applicants based on your criteria and highlights the best matches, saving you hours and helping you move fast when the right person comes along.
最棒的是,这些优秀候选人已经存在于LinkedIn上。
The best part is that those great candidates are already on LinkedIn.
事实上,通过LinkedIn招聘的员工至少留任一年的可能性比通过主要竞争对手招聘的员工高出30%。
In fact, employees hired through LinkedIn are 30% more likely to stick around for at least a year compared to those hired through the leading competitor.
一次就招对人。
Hire right the first time.
请前往linkedin.com/studybill免费发布职位,然后推广职位以使用LinkedIn Jobs的新AI助手,更轻松快捷地找到顶尖候选人。
Post your job for free at linkedin.com/studybill, then promote it to use LinkedIn jobs new AI assistant, making it easier and faster to find top candidates.
免费发布职位请访问linkedin.com/studybill。
That's linkedin.com/studybill to post your job for free.
条款和条件适用。
Terms and conditions apply.
想象一下,借助真正理解客户的科技来扩展你的业务。
Imagine scaling your business with technology that understands your customers, literally.
这就是Alexa和AWS AI背后的故事。
That's the story behind Alexa and AWS AI.
每天,Alexa在17种语言中处理超过10亿次互动,同时将客户摩擦降低40%。
Every day, Alexa processes over 1,000,000,000 interactions across 17 languages, all while reducing customer friction by 40%.
这不仅仅是让生活更轻松,更是关于转变客户互动并创造新的收入来源。
It's not just about making life easier, it's also about transforming customer engagement and generating new revenue streams.
在幕后,AWS AI 驱动着70多个专用模型协同工作,以实现自然对话,证明了企业如何以信心和安全性大规模部署AI。
Behind the scenes, AWS AI powers more than 70 specialized models working together to create natural conversations, proving how enterprises can deploy AI at scale with confidence and security.
Alexa的AI能力在亚马逊庞大的运营中经过实战检验,实现了大规模的可衡量影响。
Alexa's AI capabilities were battle tested across Amazon's massive operations, delivering real measurable impact at scale.
这些相同的创新现在为其他企业提供了经过验证的框架,以提升效率、解锁新的收入来源并获得持久的市场优势。
These same innovations now give other businesses a proven framework to boost efficiency, unlock new revenue streams and gain a lasting market edge.
在 aws.com/ai/rstory 了解 Alexa 的故事。
Discover the Alexa story at aws.comai/rstory.
访问 aws.com/ai/rstory 了解更多信息。
That's aws.com/ai/rstory.
该
The
你的比特币持有量增长越多,面临的挑战就越复杂。
more your Bitcoin holdings grow, the more complex your challenges become.
最初简单的自我托管,如今已演变为涉及家族传承规划、复杂的安保决策,以及一个错误就可能损失数代财富的严峻局面。
What started as a simple self custody now involves family legacy planning, sophisticated security decisions, and navigating situations where a single mistake could cost generations of wealth.
标准服务并未为这些高风险的现实情况而设计。
Standard services weren't built for these high stakes realities.
因此,长期投资者选择Unchained Signature——专为认真持有比特币的人士提供的高端私人客户服务,提供专业指导、稳健托管和持久的合作关系。
That's why long term investors choose Unchained Signature, a premium private client service for serious Bitcoin holders who want expert guidance, resilient custody, and an enduring partnership.
使用Signature服务,您将配备专属客户经理,他们了解您的目标,并在每一步为您提供帮助。
With Signature, you're paired with your own dedicated account manager, someone who understands your goals and helps you every step of the way.
您将享受白手套式入驻服务、当日紧急支持、个性化教育、降低交易费用,以及优先参与独家活动和功能的权益。
You get white glove onboarding, same day emergency support, personalized education, reduced trading fees, and priority access to exclusive events and features.
Unchained的协作托管模式旨在为那些希望自行保管私钥的用户,提供与全球最大比特币托管机构同等的安全保障。
Unchained's collaborative custody model is designed to provide the same security posture as the world's biggest Bitcoin custodians, but for those who prefer to hold their own keys.
了解更多关于Unchained Signature的信息,请访问unchained.com/preston。
Learn more about Unchained signature at unchained.com/preston.
结账时使用代码Preston 10,即可享受首年10%折扣。
Use code Preston 10 at checkout to get 10% off your first year.
展开剩余字幕(还有 480 条)
比特币不仅仅关乎一生。
Bitcoin isn't just for life.
它关乎几代人。
It's for generations.
好的。
Alright.
回到节目。
Back to the show.
这很有趣,因为最伟大的投资者实际上非常清楚自己的情绪状态,甚至生理状态。
It's interesting because the greatest investors are actually very, very clued in to their, I would say, not only their emotional state, but actually their physiological state.
有一个关于乔治·索罗斯的著名故事,他提到自己会注意到背部疼痛,并意识到这是投资组合出现问题的生理信号。
So there's a famous story of George Soros, who talked about how he would start to notice the pain in his back and to realise that it was a physical cue that there was something wrong in his portfolio.
杰夫·维尼克曾管理着全球规模最大的共同基金,当时他才三十出头,我曾经采访过他。
And Jeff Vinik, who managed the biggest mutual fund in the world in his early thirties, I once interviewed him.
他说,当他买入一只持续暴跌、但他预测会反弹的股票时,会感到身体不适甚至恶心。
And he said that when he was buying a stock that had been plunging and he's predicting that it would go up, he said he would feel physically nauseous.
他意识到,这种身体上的恶心感实际上是身体发出的一个积极信号,表明市场中充满了恐惧,很可能是个抄底机会。
And he learned that that sense of physical nausea was actually a positive signal from his body that there was so much fear in the market that it was probably a bargain.
你能谈谈这一点吗?
Can you talk a little about that?
关于如何高度关注自己的身体状态,具体来说,你会关注哪些迹象来判断自己是否出现了某种问题?
About the sort of specifics of becoming very clued into your own body, like what you would look for to tell whether you're malfunctioning in some way?
或者,你的身体状态是正常的,但只是让你感到不安。
Or functioning right, but just in a way that is kind of unsettling.
有一位著名的神经科学家名叫安东尼奥·达马西奥,他研究了大脑和身体在决策中的作用。
There's a very famous neuroscientist named Antonio Damasio who studied decision making in the brain and the body.
他将你所描述的这种现象称为体细胞标记。
He calls exactly what you're talking about somatic markers.
他说,大脑中记录生活经验的部分——当我这么做时,它奏效了;当我这么说时,它没奏效——位于大脑一个非常原始的区域。
And he says, you know, the part of the brain which captures life experience, when I did that, it worked.
这个区域非常深,位于大脑的原始区域。
When I said that, it didn't work, is very deep in a primitive area of the brain.
它位于大脑中比语言思维区域更低的位置。
It's lower in the brain than the part that thinks in words.
它与语言思维区域没有直接联系。
And it has no direct connection to the part of the brain that thinks in words.
它与身体、与肠道有非常强的联系。
It has very strong connections to the body, to the gut.
因此它会发出信号。
So it sends out signals.
这感觉很好。
This feels good.
这感觉不好。
It doesn't feel good.
他说,如果你要做一个明智的决定,如果能结合直觉,效果会更好。
What he says is that if you're going to make a sound decision, it'll be even better if you can include gut sense.
这不仅仅是电子表格告诉你的内容。
It's not just what the spreadsheet tells you.
这不仅仅是数字所显示的内容。
It's not just what the numbers are saying.
这是一种对背景的更深层次的理解。
It's some deeper understanding of the context.
例如,南加州大学研究了杰出的企业家,发现他们在做商业决策时,都说:我会尽可能收集所有我能找到的信息。
For example, outstanding entrepreneurs were studied at USC and they found that about how they made decisions, business decisions, they all said, well, I gather as much information as I can find.
他们是信息的狂热收集者。
They're voracious gatherers of information.
他们所收集的信息远远超出了其他人认为相关的内容,但他们总是会用直觉来验证这些信息。
They went way beyond what other people might think was relevant, but they always checked it against their gut feeling.
它可能让你感觉:我不太信任这些人。
It may not feel maybe I can't trust these guys.
换句话说,也许你有一些自己都没意识到、却需要留意的知识。
Maybe in other words, maybe you know something that you don't know you know that you need to pay attention to.
这些体感标记正是在向你传达这些信息。
That's what those somatic markers are telling you.
我们知道的比能说出来的要多。
We know more than we can say.
我有一个朋友叫肯·舒伯特·斯坦,我在我的书《更富有、更睿智、更快乐》中详细写过他。他的背景非常独特,因为他曾是一名医生,后来成为对冲基金经理和私募股权投资者,但几年前他退出了投资行业,转行成为神经学家。
There's a friend of mine called Ken Schubert Stein, who I write about at some length in my book, Richer, Wiser, Happier, who's got a very unusual background because he was a doctor and then became a hedge fund manager and private equity investor, and then quit the investment business a few years ago and became a neurologist.
因此,他对大脑内部的运作机制有着深刻的理解,同时也了解投资实战中的实际情况。
And so he has a very unusual deep understanding of what's going on in the brain, but also an understanding of the practical game of investing in the trenches.
让我对他应对市场情绪的实用方法感到着迷的一点是,他借鉴了一个我认为源自成瘾科学研究的概念,他说他知道某些生理状态和情绪状态会成为做出糟糕决策的先决条件。
One of the things that fascinated me about his kind of practical workarounds for dealing with emotions in the market was that he had borrowed an idea, I think from addiction scientific literature, where he said that he knew that there were various physiological states, emotional states that were going to be preconditions for making terrible decisions.
他有一个助记口诀叫HALT PS,意思是当他感到饥饿、愤怒、孤独、疲惫、疼痛或压力时。
He said he had this mnemonic, was HALT PS, which was when he was hungry, angry, lonely, tired, in pain, or stressed.
他说,我会放慢速度。
He said, I just went really slow.
我会观察当时发生了什么,他是一名冥想者。
I'd look to see what was go and he's a meditator.
他会留意自己身体和内心正在发生什么。
And he he would look to see what was going on in his body and his mind.
他在新冠疫情爆发初期采取了这一做法,当时他刚刚生下孩子才四天。
And he took this actually during the start of the outbreak of COVID, where he had just had a baby literally four days before.
他必须住在医院附近的一家酒店里,以免传染给妻子和刚出生的孩子。
And he has to go basically to stay in a hotel near this hospital so that he doesn't expose his wife and his newborn kid.
他当时在病房治疗新冠患者,同时因大学时的摔跤生涯而患有严重的背痛。
And he was treating COVID patients in a ward and he had a bad back from his wrestling career at college.
他说,防护装备极其痛苦,你会极度疲惫,看着所有躺在呼吸机旁、即将死去的病人,还得打电话通知他们的家人,而你自己已经精疲力尽。
And he said the PPE equipment was incredibly painful and you would be unbelievably tired and you'd be looking at all of these patients on ventilators who were dying and you'd be having to call their family and you're exhausted.
因此,他观察自己的状态,知道在这种条件下会让他做出错误的决定,于是他放慢了节奏,并努力付出更多的同情心。
And so he said, looking at his state, knowing that being in these conditions would lead him to make bad decisions, he just went really slowly and he made an extra effort to be compassionate.
因为他表示,我知道当自己疼痛、情绪低落、想念孩子时,再加上对政府政策和防护设备短缺感到愤怒,
Because he said, I know that when I'm in pain and I'm upset and I'm missing my kid, and he was furious about the government's policies and the lack of PPE equipment.
你能谈谈这一点吗?
Can you talk a bit about that?
因为这种用简单口诀如‘HALT PS’在生活不同领域应用的方式,看起来非常有趣。
Because it seems so interesting the way that you can apply this knowledge even with a simple mnemonic, like called PS in different areas of your life.
所以,如果我换种说法,他想表达的是,当你情绪激动时——他列举了六七种让人极度激动的情况——不要仓促行事。
So what he's saying, if I could put it differently, is that when you're upset, and he listed six or seven different ways to be really upset, don't do anything hastily.
在冲动和行动之间留出更多空间。
Widen the gap between impulse and action.
这正是他想说的。
That's exactly what he's saying.
行动之前先想一想。
Think about it before you act.
事实上,实施情商教育的学校项目被称为社会情感学习。
In fact, the school programs that implement emotional intelligence, they're called social emotional learning.
其中许多项目会使用一张红绿灯的海报。
Many of them use a poster, which is of a stoplight.
红灯、黄灯、绿灯。
Red light, yellow light, green light.
当你情绪激动时,就想想红绿灯。
When you're upset, think of the stoplight.
红灯,停下,冷静下来,行动前先思考。
Red light, stop, calm down, and think before you act.
黄灯,想想你可能采取的多种做法,以及每种做法的后果。
Yellow light, think of a range of different things you could be and what the consequence would be of each one.
绿灯,选择最好的一种并尝试一下。
Green light, pick the best one and try it out.
这对任何人都是很好的建议,不只是学校里的孩子、投资者,任何人都可以使用这些建议,因为我们都在应对同样的神经系统,同样的容易被强烈情绪淹没的倾向,但我们仍需在这些情绪中正常运作。
That's good advice for anyone, not just kids in school, investors, or anyone can use that advice because we're all dealing with the same set, the same central nervous system, the the same susceptibility to overwhelming emotions, and yet we have to function with those emotions.
所以我认为他阐述得非常清楚。
So he spelled it out very well, I thought.
你提到过一个词,我觉得特别好,我想是‘情绪智力’。
You had a phrase in, I think it was emotional intelligence, that I loved.
我不确定这是你自创的还是别人提出的,你曾写到过‘杏仁核劫持’。
I don't know if it was your own coining or someone else's where you write about an amygdala hijack.
你能谈谈这个概念吗?当我们面对压力、面对这些引发情绪波动的干扰性情绪时,大脑里究竟发生了什么?
Can you talk about that, what it is, what's actually happening in the brain when we're dealing with stress, when we're dealing with these disruptive emotions that stir it up?
然后我们可以讨论一下对抗杏仁核劫持的解药是什么。
And then we can talk about what the antidote to the amygdala hijack might be.
杏仁核劫持指的是大脑中负责威胁探测的雷达——当时神经科学将这一功能集中在杏仁核上——意识到存在某种危险时的情况。
The amygdala hijack refers to the situation where your brain's radar for threat, which at the time neuroscience had centered on the amygdala, realised that there was a danger, whatever it may be.
大脑的设计初衷是为了帮助我们生存。
The brain was designed to help us survive.
它在史前时期帮助我们生存,而那时大脑的形态已经定型。
And it helped us survive in prehistory, which was when the brain took shape.
那时的威胁是真实的生命危险,比如灌木丛中可能吃掉我们或我们需要追捕并吃掉的动物。
And the threat in those days was actual life or death threat, something in the bushes that either could eat us or that we had to chase after and eat.
因此,我们形成了一个非常迅速的即时反应机制,这是大脑这一回路的决策功能。
And so we had a very quick sudden response that is the decision role for this part of the brain circuit.
它能够接管大脑的理性部分——前额叶皮层,而我们正是在这里学习、理解、规划和做出明智决策。
It can take over the rational part of the brain, the prefrontal cortex, where we learn, where we comprehend, where we plan, where we make good decisions.
事实上,它完全控制了前额叶皮层。
In fact, it captures it.
这就是劫持。
That's the hijack.
劫持的迹象有三个。
And the signs of a hijack are three.
你会产生一种突然的情绪反应。
You have a very sudden, emotional reaction.
这是负面的,通常是愤怒或恐惧。
It's negative, anger, fear, typically.
当事情平息后,你真的会后悔自己所做的事情。
And when the dust settles, you really regret what you did.
你没有拉开差距。
You didn't widen the gap.
根本没有任何差距。
There's no gap at all.
当你解释这些时,我突然脸红了,心想:哦,没错。
There's a moment where I flush as you explain this, and I'm like, oh, yeah.
至少一天没这么做了。
Haven't haven't done that in at least a day.
所以今天,脑科学已经取得了进展。
So today, now brain science has moved forward.
我们意识到,不仅仅是杏仁核,杏仁核属于所谓的显著性网络的一部分,这意味着当前对我而言什么是重要的。
We realize it's not just the amygdala that the amygdala is part of what's called the salience network, which means what's relevant to me right now.
显著性网络是大脑的一部分,它通过不断忽略我们持续接收的大量感官信息,只挑选出它认为与当前任务相关的内容,从而即时地为我们简化生活。
The salience network is the part of the brain which instant by instant by instant simplify life for us by putting aside the huge amount of sensory information that we get constantly and picking out just the part that it thinks is relevant to what are the task at hand.
所以,对于投资者来说,这意味着哪些因素或哪些数据?
So, you know, for an investor, it means what are the forces or what are the data?
对于这项投资,哪些信息是相关的?
What's the relevant information for this investment?
显著性网络在我们生活的每一种情境中都在持续为我们做这件事。
You know, the salience network is doing this for us all the time in every life situation.
杏仁核是这个网络的一部分。
And the amygdala is part of that network.
如果它认为存在威胁,而今天的威胁可能是我感到被不尊重、被责怪,或者别人抢了我的功劳。
And if it thinks there's a threat, and the threat today might be, I'm feeling disrespected, I'm getting blamed, someone else is taking credit.
换句话说,这些是象征性的现实,而不是生物性的现实。
In other words, they're symbolic realities, not biological realities.
结果发现,杏仁核和显著性网络实际上会犯很多错误。
So it turns out the amygdala and that salience network actually makes a lot of mistakes.
我们会因为一些事情被劫持,而如果冷静思考,或许我们并不会如此不安。
We get hijacked for things that if we thought about it, maybe we wouldn't be so upset about.
它宁可安全第一,也不愿事后后悔。
It would rather be safe than sorry, essentially.
因此,我们经常会被劫持。
So we end up getting hijacked all too often.
我认为,被劫持的状态是进行投资时最糟糕的状态。
And I would say that the hijacked state is the worst state to invest from.
我想不出还有什么比这更糟的了。
I can't think of anything worse.
在我过去二十五年左右与顶尖投资者相处的过程中,有一件事让我非常印象深刻:最优秀的投资者似乎并没有像我们大多数人那样的情绪反应。
One of the things that's very striking to me in the time I've spent with great investors over the last twenty five years or so is that the greatest of them don't seem to have the same emotional response that most of us do.
某种奇怪的方式上,他们的大脑构造其实有所不同。
Some strange way, they're actually wired differently.
所以我记得,比如,大约在9·11事件后十二三天,当时市场刚刚经历了自1929年大萧条以来最糟糕的一周。
So I remember for example, something like, I think this must have been about twelve or thirteen days after nineeleven when the markets had just had their worst week since 1929, since the great depression.
我当时正和一位传奇投资者比尔·米勒在一起,他当时正处在连续十年或十一年跑赢市场的纪录中,这简直是不可能的。
And I was with this legendary investor, a guy called Bill Miller, who was in the middle of this streak where he'd beaten the market, I think by then by ten or eleven years, which is kind of impossible.
最终这个纪录持续了大约十五年。
It ended up being about fifteen years.
当他在电话中联系办公室时,我就在他身边。
And I was with him when he calls his office.
我们乘坐了他的私人飞机。
We went on his private plane.
他有一架里尔喷气机,基本上是因为他养了一只爱尔兰猎狼犬,他喜欢带着它旅行,那狗体型巨大。
He had this Learjet that he got basically because he had an Irish wolfhound that he liked to travel with that was enormous.
所以我们去了他的母校,因为他要在那里发表演讲,并且他给学生们做了一场报告。
So we go to his alma mater because he's giving a speech and he gives this talk to the students.
然后他打电话回办公室,他们告诉他:你买下的那家公司,是一家名为AES的能源股。
And then he calls into the office and they say to him, This company you bought, it was an energy stock called AES.
你昨天买入的这家公司——我认为他投入了五千万美元——刚刚公布了财报。
This company you bought yesterday that I think he'd put $50,000,000 in, has just come out with its earnings.
情况非常糟糕,股价已经腰斩。
It's disastrous and the stock has halved.
我想我记起来了,据我回忆,当时还没到中午,这笔投资就已经亏损了五千万美元。
And so I think I figured out, I think if I remember correctly, it had lost $50,000,000 and it wasn't even lunchtime.
比尔,我最近翻看我的笔记,还记得我对他的反应有非常生动的描述,他变得非常严肃。
Bill, I looked at my notes recently and I had this very vivid description of how he reacted and he gets very, very serious.
他非常专注。
He's very focused.
他拿着电话说:让我们看看我的现金在哪里。
And he's on the phone and he says, Let's see where my cash is.
让我们看看我的现金状况如何。
Let's see what my cash position is.
他只是说:‘好吧,现在把仓位翻倍。’
And he just says, All right, let's double the position now.
他后来向我解释说,基本上因为他从行为金融学中知道,投资者对损失的痛苦感受远比对收益的喜悦更强烈,因此他的默认立场是假设人们会过度反应于坏消息。
And he explained this later to me that basically because he knew from behavioural finance that investors feel the pain of loss so much more intensely than the pleasure of gain, that his default position is to assume that people overreact to bad news.
因此,在事情出错时,他能够保持非常冷静,这某种程度上构成了他的竞争优势。
And so there was some way in which part of his competitive advantage was the fact that when things went wrong, he was very dispassionate.
他曾经在军事情报部门工作,对吧?
He was a guy who'd been in military intelligence, right?
他是一个极其冷静的人。
He was a super unemotional guy.
他是个很棒的人,真的很友善。
Lovely man, really nice man.
但我一再看到,我认为像查理·芒格这样的人——巴菲特的搭档——他们的思维模式确实有些不同。
But I've seen that again and again, that there's actually some difference, I think, the wiring of people like Charlie Munger, Buffett's partner.
我的朋友杰森·茨威格谈到,巴菲特的情绪反应是相反的。
My friend Jason Zweig talks about how Buffett is inversely emotional.
所以当市场开始出问题、所有人都恐慌时,巴菲特反而会感到开心。
So when the market starts to go wrong and everyone's panicking, Buffett actually is kind of joyful.
我认为巴菲特在过去几个月里投资了大约500亿美元,而其他人却陷入恐慌。
So I think Buffett has invested something like $50,000,000,000 in the last couple of months while everyone else is in a panic.
你能谈谈这一点吗?
Can you talk a bit about that?
我知道你不像我这样痴迷于投资,但是否有些人天生就不同,以不同的方式应对压力?
I know that you're not obsessed with investing in the way that I am, but are there people who are just sort of wired differently so that they're dealing with intensity in a different way?
威廉,你可以这样想。
You can think about it this way, William.
这涉及几个方面。
It's a couple of things.
首先,大脑的设计本就更强烈地感知负面信息而非正面信息,因为这有助于生存。
First of all, the brain is designed to register more strongly negativity than positivity because that helped to survive.
你要记住那些危险的事情。
You want to remember the thing that's dangerous.
你想记住那些威胁。
You wanna remember the thing that's a threat.
你想记住那些永远不要再做的事。
You wanna remember the thing you should never do again.
因此,大脑的设计是让这些记忆比愉快的经历更加深刻。
And so the brain is designed to imprint that memory more strongly than the pleasant things that happen.
这就是为什么所有人,不仅仅是投资者,都会对坏消息反应过度。
So that's why people, all people, not just investors, overreact to bad news.
这就是为什么报纸上充斥着坏消息,因为它们引人注目。
That's why newspapers are full of bad news because it's captivating.
这是我们想阅读的内容。
It's what we wanna read about.
这是大脑想要了解的,因为它想从中吸取教训。
It's what the brain wants to know because it wants to learn the lesson.
哦,那只是发生在别人身上。
Oh, that happened to someone else.
我不希望这种事情发生在我身上。
I don't want it to happen to me.
人们在应对威胁或坏消息时存在三种个体差异。
There are three ways that people differ, individual differences in reacting to threat or bad news.
第一是他们被触发的频率。
One is how often they're triggered.
有些人经常被触发,有些人则很少。
Some people are triggered a lot, some people a little.
第二是被触发的深度,即他们感受到负面情绪的强烈程度。
The second is how deeply they're triggered, how intensely they feel the negative emotion.
有些人感受得非常深刻。
Some people feel it really deeply.
有些人则感受得很轻微。
Some people feel it very lightly.
第三是他们恢复得有多快。
And the third is how quickly they recover.
我谈到了韧性。
I talked about resilience.
那么,你更有韧性吗?
So are you more resilient?
你能迅速恢复吗?
Do you snap back?
你所说的非常有趣,或许那些更成功的投资者在上述三个方面有着不同的特质。
And what you're saying, very interesting, is that perhaps the more successful investors are wired differently in those three ways at least.
是的。
Yeah.
而且这很微妙,因为最近我在播客上与比尔·米勒谈到这个话题时,他说:事实上,我情绪还挺丰富的。
And it's nuanced because when I talked to Bill Miller about this recently on this podcast, he said, look, I'm actually pretty emotional.
就像他说的,当我听音乐时,我可能会哭。
Like like he said, when I listen to music, I can cry.
但当涉及到金融决策时,却展现出一种极致的理性。
And yet when it comes to financial decisions, there's this supreme rationality.
我的意思是,我记得在9·11事件之后,他对我说:看,今天的世界比9·11前一天更安全。
I mean, I remember after nine eleven, he said to me, look, the world is safer today than it was the day before 09:11.
威胁已经浮现。
The threat has surfaced.
我们之前并未意识到这个威胁。
We weren't aware of the threat.
现在我们意识到了这个威胁,就能应对它。
Now we're aware of the threat and we can deal with it.
所以他指出,人们感觉现在的威胁加剧了,但实际上,现在的威胁比以前更低。
So he said there's a perception that the threat now is elevated, but in fact, the threat is lower now than it was before.
所以他就像一台概率机器,一生都在根据证据进行判断,而不是被情绪所驱动。
So it's kind of like this he's like this probabilistic machine going through life looking at the evidence rather than being driven by his emotion.
问题是这样。
So here's the thing.
在心理学中,我们称之为再评估,认知再评估。
In psychology, we call that reappraisal, cognitive reappraisal.
这是对情境的重新思考。
It's rethinking the situation.
事实证明,应对压力或 stressful 现实的最佳方法之一就是仔细思考,并像他那样重新定义正在发生的事情。
And it turns out one of the best ways to handle stress or a stressful reality is to think it through and to reframe what's going on exactly as he did.
把负面情绪拿出来,用一种能帮助你更好应对的方式去思考它。
To take the upset and to think about it in a way that's gonna help you handle it better.
这就是重新定义。
That's the reframe.
这就是认知再评估。
That's the cognitive reappraisal.
顺便说一句,这是一种可以习得的才能。
And that, by the way, can be a learned talent.
所有这些心理技能都是后天习得且可习得的。
All of these mental skills are learned and learnable.
情绪智力与智商不同,是可以学习和提升的。
Emotional intelligence, unlike IQ, is learned and learnable.
因此,你可以提高这些能力中的任何一种。
So you can get better at any of these abilities.
我们甚至还没谈到同理心和人际关系,这对投资者来说可能重要,也可能不那么重要。
We haven't even gotten to empathy and relationships, which may or may not matter that much for investors.
不。
No.
它们很重要。
They do.
我们稍后会讨论这些。
And we'll talk about those later.
但是
But
是的。
Yeah.
但我认为我只想强调,这两者都是可以学习和提升的。
But I think I just wanna emphasize that those two are learned and learnable.
事实上,我目前正在写一本书,探讨学习这些能力如何惠及整个组织的文化。
And in fact, I'm now writing a book about why learning this will benefit an entire culture of an organization.
通过让领导者说:是的,这很重要,为员工提供发展机会,并将其纳入绩效考核。
By having leaders who say, yes, this matters, offering chances for development to people, putting it in a performance review.
这不仅仅是你的数字表现。
It's not just your numbers.
你是怎么达成这些数字的?
How did you get those numbers?
因为如果你是以最糟糕的方式达成的,我们就会失去人才。
Because if you got them in the worst ways, we're gonna lose talent.
为你工作的人会讨厌你。
People will hate you who work for you.
人们会走捷径。
People cut corners.
如果人们被施加太大压力,只为了完成季度业绩数字,就会丧失道德感。
People lose their ethical sense if they're being pressured too much just to get the numbers for the quarter.
因此,错误的领导方式会掏空人力资本。
So leading in the wrong way can hollow out human capital.
人们不愿意为他们讨厌的上司工作。
People don't wanna work for bosses they hate.
你合著了一本非常有趣的书,《原始领导力》,我还没完全读过。
You co authored a very interesting book, Primal Leadership, that I haven't read fully.
过去一周,我只是粗略翻阅了这本书,以及你的其他几本书。
I've just been grazing it along with several other of your books over the last week.
你能谈谈这本书的重要性吗?我的意思是,你是在情绪智力一章的基础上展开的,对吧?
Could you talk about that the importance of I mean, you build on a chapter in emotional intelligence, right?
关于用心管理,用心领导。
About managing with heart, leading with heart.
威廉,实际上,自那以来,这一领域已经有了很大进展。
Well, William, actually, it's advanced quite a lot since then.
我曾连续二十五年担任情感智能与组织研究联盟的联合主任。
I was for twenty five years co director of a consortium for research on emotional intelligence and organizations.
现在,另一位联合主任凯莉·切恩斯和我——罗格斯大学的教授——正在整理过去二十多年在商业领域积累的研究成果,这些研究表明,拥有更多情感智能领导者和情感智能团队的组织(因为团队层面也可以具备这种能力),其员工参与度、生产力和绩效更高,人员流失率更低,无论以何种指标衡量都是如此。
And now the other director, Carrie Chernes and I, professor at Rutgers, are harvesting more than two decades of research in the business realm, which shows that organizations that have more emotionally intelligent leaders and have more emotionally intelligent teams, because you can have this at the team level, have higher levels of engagement, productivity, higher performance, less turnover, whatever the metric is.
这非常、非常积极。
It's very, very positive.
而我们真正想做的是将这些成果推广到企业中。
And what we want to do actually is bring this to companies.
我成立了一个名为高盛咨询集团的团队,帮助公司打造更具情感智能的文化。
I have a group called the Goldman Consulting Group, which is helping companies do this, create a more emotionally intelligent culture.
其中一种方式是让团队一起学习如何共同提升情感智能。
One of the ways is by having groups learn how to become more emotionally intelligent together.
为高层提供辅导固然很好,但还有其他所有人——所有管理者等等,他们却得不到这样的支持。
It's great to coach at the top of the house, but there's everybody else, All the managers and so on, they don't get that.
因此,我们发现了一种其他方法,可以更深入地将这种能力融入整个组织。
So we found that there's another methodology you can use to get this more deeply into an organization.
现在,我的兴趣正朝着情绪智力这个方向发展。
That's where my interests are going now with emotional intelligence.
所以,让我们回到当我们将被这些负面情绪、干扰性情绪淹没的时候,我对一些实用的方法和资源很感兴趣。
So to go back a bit to when we're getting flooded with these difficult emotions, these disruptive emotions, I'm interested in various practical techniques and resources that we can bring to bear.
你提到了重新框架这些情绪。
You you mentioned reframing them.
有人在推特上给你发了一个问题,用户名叫Conservative Capital auditorinvestor,他说:我非常喜欢戈德曼的工作和他的举止。
Someone sent me a question on Twitter for you, who goes by the name Conservative Capital auditorinvestor, who said, I love Goldman's work and his demeanor.
他特别喜欢你的一次演讲,你在其中分享了正念呼吸的好处。
And he said, I particularly like this talk of his where he shared the benefits of mindful breathing.
他问是否有日常练习的资源,无论是呼吸技巧、哈他瑜伽,还是其他任何你认为特别有帮助的方法。
And he was asking if there are resources for daily practice, whether it's breathing techniques, Hatha Yoga, whatever, that you found particularly helpful.
我们很快也会更详细地探讨冥想。
And we can get to meditation in more detail as well soon.
但首先,我以前就听过你谈论呼吸练习。
But first, I've heard you talking about breathing exercises before.
你能谈谈一些非常实用、简单的技巧吗?在我们被情绪淹没的时刻,这些技巧能帮助我们。
Can you talk about very practical simple techniques like that that can help us in these moments where we're getting kind of flooded?
不过,让我先讲一个真实的故事,那是安迪·格鲁夫的商业自传,他曾是英特尔的首席执行官,那时英特尔是科技行业的领军企业。
Let me start though by talking about a time actually, it was the business autobiography of Andy Grove, who used to be CEO of Intel when that was like the company in tech.
在那个每个人都有笔记本电脑的时代,英特尔的芯片内置在每一台笔记本里。
Intel inside every laptop in the day when everybody had a laptop.
格鲁夫说,我们曾经好几次濒临死亡。
And Grove said we could have died a few times.
一次是我们被竞争对手突然袭击。
One was when we were blindsided by competitors.
另一次是我们发布了一款有缺陷的芯片。
Another was when we shipped a chip that had a flaw.
他说,我们之所以能幸存下来,取决于高层团队的情绪反应。
And he said, if we had how we survived depended on the emotional reactions of the top team.
如果我们否认现实,被恐惧麻痹,或陷入恐慌,今天就不会有这家公司了。
If we had denied what was going on, if we're paralyzed with fear, if we had panicked, we would not be here today as a company.
我认为这有力地支持了你所提出的问题,即人们如何学会应对商业中每日的起伏、压力、挑战、冲击和意外。
I think that's a very strong argument for what you're asking, which is how can people learn to handle the ups and downs and the stresses and the challenges and the shocks and the surprises of business every day.
我的另一位哈佛时期的朋友约翰·卡巴特-津恩称之为生活的‘全 catastrophe’。
John Kabat Zinn, another friend of mine from Harvard Day, says calls it the full catastrophe of life.
是的。
Yeah.
他不是写过一本叫《全 catastrophe 生活》的书吗?我觉得是的。
Didn't he write a book, Full Catastrophe Living, which I think is Yeah.
这本书非常
It's very
精彩。
good book.
但无论如何
But anyway
真是个绝妙的书名。
Wonderful title.
从相同的方法开始。
Starts with the same method.
如果你不介意的话,让我与你的听众分享一下。
And let me just share it with your listeners, if you don't mind.
这是一种通用的注意力训练,有助于在任何情况下保持平静和专注。
This is kind of a generic attention training, which helps with becoming calm and focused even despite what's going on.
它们非常简单。
They're very simple.
如果你感到舒适,可以闭上眼睛,将注意力集中在呼吸上,关注吸气和呼气,完整的吸气,完整的呼气,呼吸时的感觉,可能是在鼻孔处,或腹部的起伏。
You just if you're comfortable, you can close your eyes and bring your attention to your breath, to the in breath and the out breath, the full in breath, the full out breath, the sensation of breathing, maybe at your nostrils or rise and fall of your belly.
然后从下一次呼吸开始。
And then start with the next breath.
再做一次,完整的吸气,完整的呼气。
Do it again, full in breath, the full out breath.
始终将注意力保持在呼吸上。
Just keep your focus there on your breath.
当你的思绪飘走并注意到时,就把注意力带回到下一次呼吸上。
And when your mind wanders and you notice it wandered, bring it back to the next breath.
就这么简单。
That's all there is to it.
你只需专注于呼吸,当思绪飘走时将它带回来,然后睁开眼睛。
You just stay with the breath, bringing back your mind when it floats away and open your eyes.
这就是简单的核心指导。
That's the simple core instruction.
但如果你每天早上练习五到十分钟,它就能为你的全天重新调整大脑状态。
But if you do it five minutes, ten minutes in the morning, it resets your brain for the day.
你练习的时间越长,益处就越大。
The longer you do it, the better the benefits.
这些益处如今已被充分证实。
The benefits are very well established now.
它让人更平静,更能应对压力。
It makes people calmer, makes them better able to handle stress.
它让人更专注,更能忽略干扰,实际上也让人成为更好的学习者。
It makes them more focused, better able to ignore distractions, makes them actually better learners.
你可以所谓的多任务处理,而不会失去对今天真正重要事情的注意力。
You can multitask, so called multitask, without getting losing concentration on what really matters today.
所以它有许多好处,但就像培养任何技能一样,威廉。
So it has numerous benefits, but it's like developing any skill, William.
你练习得越多,收益就越好。
The more you practice, the better the benefit.
在我写《更富有、更睿智、更快乐》时,即使比我平时还要紧张得多的时候,我发现丹·哈里斯的App‘10%更快乐’非常有帮助,这个App包含了你之前提到的两位老师——约瑟夫·戈德斯坦和莎朗·萨尔茨伯格的课程,还有乔治·穆姆福德,我觉得他特别棒,他是勒布朗·詹姆斯和迈克尔·乔丹等人的导师。
One resource that I found very helpful when I was kind of even more of a nervous wreck than I am usually while I was writing Richer, Wiser, Happier, was I used Dan Harris's app, 10% Happier a lot, which has courses by both of those teachers you mentioned before, Joseph Goldstein and Sharon Salzberg, but also George Mumford, who I thought was terrific, who was a teacher of, I don't know, was it LeBron James and Michael Jordan, people like that.
我发现这些课程极其有帮助。
And I just found those courses incredibly helpful.
因为那时我还不打算去尼泊尔或印度参加长时间的静修。
Because I wasn't at that point gonna go off to Nepal or or something or India to do a long retreat.
如今我们能拥有这些App,真的非常幸运。
We're really lucky these days that we have these apps.
你可以把手机打开,在通勤时练习,如果你有通勤的话,或者在任何你能找到独处时间、专心致志的时候进行。
You can put on your phone and do it any you know, do it while you're commuting if you commute or do it anytime you can find time alone and focus on it.
10% Happier 是一个很棒的应用程序。
Ten Percent Happier is a wonderful app.
正如你提到的,约瑟夫·戈德斯坦和莎伦·萨尔茨伯格,这两位是该应用中的老师,他们非常非常出色。
And as you mentioned, yeah, Joseph Goldstein, Sharon Salzberg, two of the teachers on that app, and they're very, very good.
我推荐
I recommend
你从伯克利大学大三时就开始冥想了。
You've been meditating since you were a junior at Berkeley.
对吧?
Right?
这已经超过半个世纪了。
So this is well over half a century.
而且自从你写了《改变的特质》并研究了冥想的科学、发现了冥想的剂量效应——即你做得越多,实际效果就越明显之后,我觉得你对冥想的态度变得越来越认真了。
And I think you've got more and more serious about it since you wrote Altered Traits and you studied the science of meditation, what it's and discovered the dose response, what it's actually doing, the more you do.
但对于那些还没深入这项练习的人来说,对于相信帕累托原则的人而言,哪种冥想方式最实用呢?
But for those of us who aren't in the deep end of the game yet, what sort of meditation is most practical for people who believe in the Pareto principle, right?
也就是八二法则。
The eightytwenty.
他们希望以最少的努力获得最大的益处,从而保持冷静和专注,减少焦虑。
They they wanna get most of the benefits for the least amount of effort so that they can remain calm and focused, have less anxiety.
这样他们就能做出更好的决策,无论是作为投资者,还是与同事、配偶,或任何其他人相处时。
So they're more likely to make good decisions, whether it's as an investor or with their colleagues or with their spouse or whoever it might be.
我建议每天进行十五到三十分钟的呼吸练习。
I'd recommend fifteen to thirty minutes a day of that breath exercise.
正如你所指出的,刚开始时可能很难做到。
And as you point out, at the beginning, it may be hard to do.
你可能会非常分心,因此有人引导你完成练习会很有帮助。
You may be very distracted, which is why it's beneficial to be able to listen to someone guiding you through it.
所以如果你刚开始,能使用一个应用程序就再好不过了。
So if you can get an app, if you're just starting out, all the better.
是的。
Yeah.
所以你基本上只是在观察呼吸。
And so you're basically just watching the breath.
当你发现自己的注意力分散时,把注意力拉回来,这就像一种心理训练。
And then as you catch your your attention wandering, it's kind of the mental rep of bringing back the attention.
这就是主要的好处吗?
Is that the main benefit there?
你的大脑发生了什么变化?
What's happening to your brain?
我推测,而且有数据支持这一点:每次你注意到思绪飘走并将其拉回时,你都在强化保持专注的神经回路。
I suspect, and there's data that suggests this, that every time you notice your mind wander and you bring it back, you're strengthening neural circuitry for staying focused.
想想看,你一天中在读一篇非常重要的文章,不管是什么内容。
And think about it, in your day, you're reading a very important article, whatever it may be.
突然间,你收到了一条提示音,有人给你发了短信,或者发了邮件。
And all of a sudden you get a ping, I got a text, I got an email.
你一看手机,下一秒就刷起了推特,注意力就完全分散了。
You look at your phone and next thing you know, you're on Twitter and you lost your concentration, which was up here.
等你再想回来时,注意力已经跌到低谷,要花好一阵子才能重新集中。
When you go back, it's going to be down here and it's going take you a while to get it up again.
但如果你做了这个简单的练习,你就是在训练大脑全神贯注、保持专注,并学会放下干扰。
Unless you did that simple exercise because what you're doing is training your brain to pay full attention, to concentrate, and basically to let distractions go.
所谓的正念时刻,就是你觉察到思绪飘走,并将它拉回来的那一刻。
The moment of mindfulness, if you will, is the moment you notice that your mind has wandered and you bring it back.
就是这么简单。
It's that simple.
这就像健身房里的重复训练。
It's like a rep in a gym.
每次举起重量,你都在让肌肉变得更强大。
Every time you lift the weight, you're making the muscle that much stronger.
大脑也是如此。
Same thing with your brain.
让我们短暂休息一下,听听今天赞助商的消息。
Let's take a quick break and hear from today's sponsors.
你知道是什么让最优秀的企业脱颖而出吗?
You know what sets the best businesses apart?
是他们如何利用创新将复杂性转化为增长。
It's how they leverage innovation to turn complexity into growth.
这正是亚马逊广告在AWS人工智能支持下所做的事情。
That's exactly what Amazon Ads is doing, powered by AWS AI.
每天,亚马逊广告处理数十亿次实时决策,优化整个310亿美元广告生态系统的广告效果。
Every day, Amazon Ads processes billions of real time decisions, optimizing ad performance across a $31,000,000,000 advertising ecosystem.
结果是广告活动运行速度快30%,并能大规模产生可衡量的业务影响。
The result is campaigns that run 30% faster and deliver measurable business impact at scale.
而这正是亚马逊自身实现增长的方式。
And this is how Amazon itself drives growth.
他们的智能AI将营销从一个资源密集型流程转变为一个智能自主系统,最大化投资回报率,并让营销人员专注于创意和战略。
Their agentic AI transforms marketing from a resource heavy process into an intelligent autonomous system that maximizes ROI and empowers marketers to focus on creativity and strategy.
亚马逊广告正在证明,人工智能驱动的广告不仅仅是未来,更是新的竞争优势。
Amazon Ads is proving that AI driven advertising isn't just the future, it's the new competitive advantage.
更棒的是,每一家企业都可以应用亚马逊内部完善的同一套创新方法论。
And better yet, every enterprise can apply the same innovation playbook that Amazon perfected in house.
前往 aws.comai/rstory 了解亚马逊广告的故事。
See the Amazon ad story at aws.comai/rstory.
网址是 aws.com/ai/rstory。
That's aws.com/ai/rstory.
初创公司行动迅速。
Startups move fast.
借助人工智能,它们的开发速度更快,也更早地吸引了企业客户。
And with AI, they're shipping even faster and attracting enterprise buyers sooner.
但大单带来了更大规模的安全与合规要求。
But big deals bring even bigger security and compliance requirements.
SOC 2 并不总是足够的。
A SOC two isn't always enough.
正确的安全措施可以促成交易,也可能导致交易失败。
The right kind of security can make a deal or break it.
但哪位创始人或工程师能抽时间离开公司建设去处理这些事呢?
But what founder or engineer can afford to take time away from building their company?
Vanta 的人工智能和自动化功能能让您在几天内准备好拿下大单。
Vanta's AI and automation make it easy to get big deals ready in days.
Vanta 持续监控您的合规状态,确保未来的交易不会被阻拦。
And Vanta continuously monitors your compliance so future deals are never blocked.
此外,Vanta 会随着您的业务成长而扩展,并在每一步都提供及时的支持。
Plus Vanta scales with you, backed by support that's there when you need it every step of the way.
随着人工智能改变法规和买家的期望,Vanta 深知所需内容及时机,并已打造了最快、最便捷的路径,助您达成目标。
With AI changing regulations and buyers' expectations, Vanta knows what's needed and when, and they've built the fastest, easiest path to help you get there.
因此,认真的初创公司都会早早借助 Vanta 实现安全合规。
That's why serious startups get secure early with Vanta.
我们的听众可通过 vanta.com/billionaires 获得 1000 美元优惠。
Our listeners get $1,000 off at vanta.com/billionaires.
访问 vanta.com/billionaires 可享受 1000 美元优惠。
That's vanta.com/billionaires for $1,000 off.
新的一年到了,这正是实现你一直以来梦想创业的最佳时机。
It's the new year, which means that it's the best time to finally start the business you've been dreaming about.
就在几年前,我启动了自己的电子商务业务,而 Shopify 正是我起步所需的完美工具。
Just a couple years ago, I launched my own e commerce business and Shopify was exactly the tool I needed to get started.
尽管许多人一再推迟梦想,等到明年再行动,但我在这里告诉你:现在就是抓住眼前机遇的时候。
While many people continually push off their dreams until the next year, I am here to tell you that now is the time to capitalize on the opportunities right in front of you.
Shopify 为你提供在线和线下销售所需的一切工具。
Shopify gives you everything you need to sell online and in person.
数百万创业者,包括我自己,都已经从普通人跃升为初创企业主。
Millions of entrepreneurs, including myself, have already made this leap from household names to first time business owners just getting started.
你可以从数百个精美的模板中选择,并使用其内置的 AI 工具撰写产品描述或编辑产品图片。
Choose from hundreds of beautiful templates that you can customize and use their built in AI tools to write product descriptions or edit product photos.
随着你的成长,Shopify 将一路陪伴,与你共同进步。
And as you grow, Shopify grows with you every step of the way.
在2026年,停止等待,立即用Shopify开始销售。
In 2026, stop waiting and start selling with Shopify.
注册每月1美元的试用版,今天就开始在shopify.com/wsb销售。
Sign up for your $1 per month trial and start selling today at shopify.com/wsb.
前往shopify.com/wsb。
Go to shopify.com/wsb.
那就是shopify.com/wsb。
That's shopify.com/wsb.
在今年初,让Shopify陪伴在你身边。
Hear your first This new year with Shopify by your side.
好的。
Alright.
回到节目。
Back to the show.
显然,专注力对我们所有人来说都至关重要,尤其是对许多投资者而言,他们如芒格常形容巴菲特那样,即使年过九旬仍是信息的狂热消费者。
This whole issue of focus obviously is hugely important to all of us, and particularly for a lot of investors who are voracious consumers of information as Munger often refers to Buffett as a learning machine even in his nineties.
你提到过,你写了一本非常棒的书叫《专注》,我上周刚读过,本来想放在我的书堆里,但它在我Kindle里。
And you've mentioned, you wrote a terrific book called Focus that I was reading last week, which I would have on my stack, but it's in my Kindle.
这本书叫《专注:卓越的隐藏驱动力》。
It's called Focus, The Hidden Driver of Excellence.
你在书中提到,注意力就像一种心理肌肉,使用越多就越强,反之则会退化。
And you were mentioning there, you were talking about attention as this mental muscle that grows with use or atrophies.
显然,由于技术的发展,我们所有人都面临更大的挑战——海量的信息和数据不断消耗着我们的注意力,还有无休止的邮件、短信和来自推特的通知。
And obviously this has become much more of a challenge for all of us because of technology with this massive influx of information and data that just consumes our attention, all of these nonstop emails and texts and notifications from Twitter.
我一说到这个就喘不过气来。
I get breathless as I talk about it.
我总是被这些事情搞得心神不宁。
And I am constantly in a state of scatteredness between all of these things.
现在我很难再安静地独处了。
It's very hard for me to sit peacefully on my own anymore.
我总是想:天啊,我该去看看我的推特通知了。
I'm like, God, I should check my Twitter notifications.
应该去看看LinkedIn。
Should check LinkedIn.
我应该检查一下邮件。
I should check my email.
我应该看看短信。
I should check text messages.
如果我不做这些,就应该听播客或有声书。
If I'm not doing that, I should be listening to a podcast or an audio book.
所以我感觉自己的大脑已经乱了。
And so I feel like I've scrambled my brain.
我怀疑自己只是我们大多数人状态的稍微极端版本。
And I suspect I'm a sort of slightly extreme version of what most of us are like.
你能谈谈如何应对来自科技的这些持续干扰吗?
Can you talk about how to deal with these constant distractions that are coming from technology?
认知科学中有一句名言:信息消耗的是注意力。
There's a saying in cognitive science, what information consumes is attention.
信息丰富意味着注意力稀缺。
A wealth of information means a paucity of attention.
如今,一些估计表明,我们在给定的时间内——比如一天——接收到的信息量是过去的五倍。
And today, some estimates are that we get about five times more information in a given time statement, a given day, for example.
而二十年前,我们只有十分之一。
And we did ten, twenty years ago.
正如你所指出的,干扰正在呈指数级增长,情况比以往任何时候都更糟糕。
It's just been increasing exponentially, the distractions, as you point out, far worse than ever.
我听过一位人士的演讲,他是第一代iPhone的设计者之一。
I heard a talk by a fellow who was one of the designers of the first iPhone.
他说,我们尽可能把它设计得诱人。
He said, we made it as seductive as we could.
他说,现在我有了孩子,我真的很后悔。
He said, today, I have kids and I really regret it.
我们所有人面临的问题是,我们不断被诱惑。
Is the problem that we all face is that we're seduced constantly.
我们被诱惑的东西是注意力。
What we're seduced for is attention.
注意力,我们的眼睛,才是广告商想要的。
Attention, our eyeballs is what advertisers want.
这也是应用想要的。
It's apps want.
我们停留的时间越长,对他们就越有利。
And the longer we stay on it, the better for them.
但这意味着我们正被拉离当下、当天最重要的一切。
But that means that we're being pulled away from what matters to us most that moment, that day.
因此,我认为我们都面临着增强注意力这一能力的需要。
And so I think we all face the need to strengthen the muscle of attention.
我认为,如今比以往任何时候都更需要,因为这关乎基本的自我保护。
I think today more than ever because it's just basic self defense.
在这持续不断的干扰浪潮或 distraction 云中,我该如何保持对重要事物的专注?
How am I gonna stay focused on what matters to me in the midst of this ongoing welt or this cloud of distraction.
你在实际生活中如何使用科技?
What do you do in practical terms with technology?
因为我经常和你以及你可爱的妻子塔拉在一起,我见过你在餐厅、咖啡馆,还有我工作的联盟中心等地的样子。
Because I've hung out with you and your lovely wife, Tara, a fair amount, and I've seen you in restaurants and cafes and the Alliance Center where I work and places like that.
我似乎从不记得见过你拿起手机或分心的样子。
I I don't think I ever remember seeing you reach for your phone or being distracted.
你和塔拉身上有一种开放和专注的气质。
There's a kind of openness and presence to you and to Tara.
塔拉看起来就像根本没拥有手机的人。
Tara looks like someone who doesn't even own a phone.
她比我们高出一个层次。
She's on a different level from us.
直接从天堂下载信息。
Downloading directly from heaven.
你是如何处理科技的,让它不会干扰你们的关系?
How do you deal with technology so that it's not intruding in your relationship?
它不会在对话中分散你的注意力。
It's not distracting you in conversations.
它不会不停地拉走你的注意力。
It's not yanking your attention around constantly.
嗯,威廉,我有点幸运,因为我的生活方式不需要时刻保持警觉。
Well, you know, William, I'm I'm a little bit privileged in that I lead a life where I don't have to be on alert all the time.
我不必随时被电话召唤。
I don't have to be at the beck and call of a phone.
我就像一个高强度的冥想者。
I'm like an industrial strength meditator.
比如,我从不安排任何午饭前的活动。
I don't schedule anything before lunch, for example.
我喜欢在早上冥想和写作。
I like to meditate and write in the morning.
我觉得没有什么重要的事情会通过电话进来。
And I don't feel that there's anything that important coming in on a phone.
我宁愿专注于面前的人,而不是看手机。
I'd rather be present for the person in front of me than looking at a phone.
事实上,2009年《时代》杂志上有一篇文章,当时它还是主要的杂志。
In fact, in 2009, there was an article in Time Magazine, which was then the major magazine.
这篇文章说,英语中出现了一个新词。
The article said there's a new word in English language.
这个词是‘puzzled’。
The word is puzzled.
它是‘puzzled’和‘pissed off’的结合。
It's a combination of puzzled and pissed off.
当你和某人在一起时,对方掏出手机看手机而不是看你,你就会有这种感觉。
It's how you feel when someone you're with takes out their phone and looks at the phone instead of you.
那是2009年。
That was 2009.
如今的规范已经发生了巨大变化。
The norms have changed enormously.
人们现在经常不假思索地这样做。
People do it now all the time without thinking about it.
尽管现在我看到出现了一个新词,叫‘手机冷落’,即用手机冷落别人,意思可能差不多。
Although now I saw there's a new word, phubbing, which is snubbing with a phone, which may have the same thing.
但这反映了在与身边的人相处,或在Zoom上与人交流时,专注于对方与接收各种信息之间的紧张关系。
But it speaks to the tension between being present to the person you're with or on Zoom with whatever and all the incoming, whatever it may be.
我觉得,最好将对这些信息的注意力限制在特定时间段,而不是让它随时侵入你的生活,无论对你来说这意味着什么。
And I feel that it's good to limit your attention to the incoming, whatever that means for you, to certain periods rather than letting it intrude, you know, whenever it happens to come.
我 personally 在观察你交谈时深受触动。
I've been very struck personally in seeing you in conversation.
几周前,我一直在观察你。
I was watching you a couple of weeks ago.
我和女儿去吃冰淇淋时,遇到了你,便停下来和你聊了一会儿。
My daughter and I were going for ice cream and we ran into you and stopped and had a chat with you.
你当时正在和玛德琳聊天。
You were chatting with Madeleine.
你在对话中非常专注。
There's something you're very present in conversation.
有一种平静和开放的感觉。
There's a kind of calmness and openness.
我在想,我假设这很大程度上来自于冥想,但你也多年来一直在采访他人。
And I'm wondering, I'm assuming a lot of that comes from meditation, but also that you've been interviewing people for many years.
我想知道,这其中发生了什么?
And I'm wondering what's going on there?
这种能力是从哪里来的?
Where did that come from?
当你在对话时,你脑海中在想什么,才能让你如此专注?
What's going through your mind when you're in conversation that enables you to be so present?
我认为这与情商中的同理心方面有关。
So I think this has to do with the empathy aspect of emotional intelligence.
记住,那是第三部分。
Remember, that's the third part.
共情有三种类型。
And there are three kinds of empathy.
第一种是认知共情,理解一个人的思维方式。
One is cognitive, understanding how the person thinks.
第二种是情感共情,理解他们的感受,感知一个人的情绪。
The second is emotional, understanding how they feel, sensing how the person feels.
第三种是关怀,关心这个人。
Third is concern, caring about the person.
我喜欢与我所交谈的人保持在场状态,因为这传达了关怀。
And I like to try to be present to the person I'm with because that connotes caring.
全神贯注地关注你面前的人,这在商业世界中有时被称为领导力在场感,我认为非常重要。
Paying full attention to the person in front of you that, know, sometimes it's called executive presence in the business world, I think is very important.
你的女儿恰好特别迷人且令人愉快。
Your daughter happens to be particularly charming and delightful.
因此,完全专注于她是非常容易的。
So it's very easy to be fully present to her.
我不确定对其他人来说也是如此。
I'm not sure I am to everybody else.
她后来对我说:我想和他做朋友。
She said to me afterwards, I'd like to be friends with him.
这很有趣,一个21岁的年轻人和一个年纪很大的人——我不太懂数学,但你应该是七十多岁了吧?
And that was interesting, a 21 year old with a guy, I don't know, I'm not good at math, but you're somewhere in your seventies, right?
大概吧。
Somewhere.
我想是1946年。
In 1946, I think.
所以,是的,这挺美好的。
So yeah, that was kind of lovely.
我认为这是因为你非常专注。
And I think it was because you're very present.
这对我产生了一些影响。
That's something that's had an effect on me.
对吧?
Right?
我明白。
I see that.
我也在我们的朋友马特身上看到了这一点,他介绍了我们认识,他可能已经冥想了四十年左右。
And I see it also with our friend, Matt, who introduced us that he's another person who's meditated for probably forty something years.
有一种存在感和宁静,我在其他人身上看不到。
And there's a kind of presence and a calmness that I don't see in most other people.
你认为这是长期冥想的一大馈赠吗?
And is that one of the great gifts of long term meditation, you think?
很难区分个体差异。
Well, it's hard to separate individual differences.
马特或者我,早年就有这种倾向吗?
Did Matt or I have this tendency earlier on?
我不知道。
I don't know.
但数据显示,这种平静与专注——无论是针对你手头的项目、数字,还是他人——都会通过冥想练习得到增强。
But it's clear now from the data that that calmness and focus, whether it's on your project at hand, the numbers, or the other person, gets enhanced through meditative practice.
这一点毫无疑问。
No question about that.
那么回到同理心这个话题,这显然至关重要,你也对此写过、讲过很多。
So coming back to this issue of empathy, which is clearly critical and which you've written about and spoken about a lot.
我记得你曾经说过,让同理心和慈悲成为你的北极星是很好的。
I I remember you saying once, it's good to have empathy and compassion as your North Star.
有一位播客听众在推特上给我发消息,叫Flaubertus(如果我发音正确的话),或者他另一个名字叫Charging Bull Capital,他说:你能问问戈尔曼先生,我们该如何提升自己的同理心或对他人的觉察吗?
And there's a a listener to the podcast who wrote to me on Twitter, someone called Flaubertus, if I'm pronouncing this right, or Charging Bull Capital is his other name, who says, can you ask mister Goleman what we can do to increase our empathy or our awareness of others?
比如,有没有一个五分钟的练习或反思时刻,能让我们每天都能成为稍微更有情绪智慧的人?
Is there, for example, a a five minute exercise or moment of reflection that can make us a little more emotionally intelligent humans every day?
德国有一些非常有趣的研究,他们那里有德国的麻省理工学院,研究人员让参与者练习一种我称之为‘关怀圈’的练习,有时也叫慈心冥想,比如你可以在每天的呼吸冥想结束时进行。
There's very interesting research coming out of Germany, They have, like the MIT of Germany, where they had people practice an exercise that I call a circle of caring, sometimes called loving kindness practice, where you you might end your meditation on the breath with this daily, for example.
你想到生命中曾经善待过你、让你心怀感激并欣赏的人。
You think of someone in your life that's been kind to you, that you're grateful for and appreciate them.
你希望他们安全、快乐、健康,生活圆满。
You know, you wish that they'd be safe and happy and healthy and that the life be fulfilled.
你也会这样祝愿自己。
You wish it towards yourself.
你还会将这份祝愿给予你自然爱着的人,你的亲人。
You wish it toward the people you naturally love, your loved ones.
你默默地这样做。
You do this silently.
然后你将这份祝愿扩展到你认识的人、你的熟人、可能一起工作的人,再扩展到所有地方的所有人。
And then you extend it to people you know, your acquaintances, people you work with perhaps, and then to everyone everywhere.
你会花相当多的时间来做这件事。
And you spend a good deal of time doing this.
莎朗·萨尔茨堡教授这种练习。
Sharon Salzburg teaches this practice.
德国的这个研究所发现,这种练习似乎增强了关心与关怀的神经架构,这对我来说非常简单明了,因为它就像呼吸冥想一样,能帮助你保持平静和专注。
And the institute in Germany found that this seemed to strengthen the neural architecture for caring and concern, which seems pretty simple and clear to me because it's just like with the breath meditation that helps you be calm and focused.
结果发现,相同的神经回路能同时完成这两件事。
It turns out the same neural circuitry does both those things.
而对他人关怀、同情和慈悲则涉及不同的神经回路。
And then there's different circuitry for caring, concern, compassion toward other people.
这种关怀的循环正是锻炼这一回路的方式。
And that gets exercised by that circle of caring.
我有一位亲密朋友,我稍微隐去他的身份,他是一位精神科医生,专长于处理青少年以及经历过战争、患有创伤后应激障碍的退伍军人。
I have a close friend who's a I'm slightly concealing this person's identity, who's psychiatrist who's specialised in dealing with adolescents and people who've gone through war, veterans who have PTSD and the like.
他是个非常非凡的人。
He's a very extraordinary guy.
我记得他告诉我,他每天开车去退伍军人医院时,都会在途中进行慈爱冥想。
And I remember him telling me that he would drive to his VA hospital every day doing loving kindness meditation on the drive.
他说他有一位特别难相处的同事。
And he said he had a particularly difficult colleague.
每当这位同事说出一些让他抓狂的蠢话时,他就会在会议中静坐,默默进行这些冥想,比如:愿你快乐,愿你安全,愿你生活安逸。
And when this colleague would say stupid stuff that drove him absolutely nuts, he would just sit there in a meeting, silently kind of going through these meditations of things like, you know, may you be happy, may you be safe, may you live with ease.
我能看出他的变化。
And I could see the difference in him.
我的意思是,这些年来,我一直想,他怎么了?
I mean, like, over the years, I was like, what happened to him?
他变得越来越充满爱心和快乐,我一直这么说,虽然他本来就是个很棒的人。
And he did become like more and more he was always a lovely guy, but he became more and more loving and joyful, I would say.
我认为这确实有效。
I think it does work.
现在有大量的研究数据表明,人们确实会变得更有善意、更慷慨、更利他、更外向且更关心他人。
The data, there's a lot of research on it now shows people do become kinder, more generous, more altruistic, more outgoing and caring toward other people.
所以我不感到惊讶。
So I'm not surprised.
而且,我想莎朗·萨尔茨堡在《10%更快乐》应用里教授这个方法,虽然我不太想为它做广告。
And again, I think Sharon Salzberg teaches that on the 10% Happier app, which I hate to be a shill for.
我并没有因为推广它而获得报酬,但它真的帮了我很多。
And I'm not being paid to be a shill for it, but it really helped me.
我认为这是一个非常有用的App。
I think that it's a very helpful app.
你在《改变的特质》一书中提到了明亚仁波切,这位伟大的西藏瑜伽士,以及他在修习慈悲冥想时大脑中的变化。
You have an extraordinary thing in Altered Traits where you talk about Mingya Rinpoche, one of these great Tibetan yogis, and what was going on in his brain when he was doing Well compassion meditation.
这可是深水区了。
This is the deep end of the pool.
你能谈谈当时在我们观察到他的大脑中究竟发生了什么吗?
Can you talk a bit about what actually we saw in his brain?
于是,里奇·戴维森分别将这些瑜伽士从尼泊尔、印度和欧洲接了过来。
So Richie Davidson flew these yogis over from Nepal and India and Europe one by one.
其中一位就是明依仁波切,当时他已经完成了六万两千小时的冥想。
One of them was this yogi Mingyi Rinpoche, who at the time had done sixty two thousand lifetime hours of meditation.
如果你完成了一次传统的西藏三年三个月零三天的闭关修行,就会被计为大约一万小时。
Well, if you do a traditional Tibetan three year, three month, three day retreat, you get credit for about ten thousand hours.
所以这位仁波切已经积累了惊人的冥想时长。
So this guy had done huge amounts.
当他们让他进行慈悲冥想时,大脑中与之相关的神经回路在瞬间增强了700%到800%。
And when they asked him to do a compassion meditation, the circuitry in the brain for that increased in a moment by 700 to 800%.
在神经科学史上,从未见过如此显著的、主动引发的大脑回路激活变化。
Never been seen before in neuroscience, such a voluntary jump in the activation of a brain circuit.
而这是与慈悲相关的神经回路。
And this is a circuitry for compassion.
所以我觉得这简直令人震惊。
So I thought it was pretty astounding.
威廉,是的。
William Yeah.
我认为你的书所展示的一个了不起之处在于,我们如今从科学上证实了数千年来藏地修行者在洞穴中通过亲身体验所领悟到的东西。
I think one of the things that's so remarkable that your book shows is that we're seeing scientifically this thing that people sitting in caves for thousands of years in Tibet and and the like figured out experientially.
因此,你不再需要听起来像个玄乎的神秘主义者。
And so you no longer need to kind of sound like you're a woo woo mystic.
你可以真正展示大脑中正在发生什么。
You can actually show what's going on in the brain.
我说这话时自己也是一个玄乎的神秘主义者,所以我并不轻视这一点。
And I say this as a woo woo mystic myself, so I'm not I'm not dismissive of that.
关键是这样。
Here's the thing.
你知道,我脚踩两个世界:一边是亚洲的灵性与修行方法,另一边是科学、心理学等等。
You know, I kind of have a foot in both worlds, in the world of, you know, Asian spirituality and methodology, and the world of science and psychology and so on.
起初,这两个世界之间存在着巨大的鸿沟。
And at first, there was a huge gap between those worlds.
但随着科学对这些实践进行研究,它发现:嘿,你知道吗?
But as science has investigated these practices, it's finding, oh, you know what?
这真的有效。
This works.
在我看来,有一种古老的心理技术在许多亚洲文化中得到了很好的保存。
And it seems to me there's an ancient psychotechnology that's been well preserved in many Asian cultures.
现在它才开始在西方为人所知。
It's only now becoming known in the West.
我认为这非常重要。
I think it's very important.
威廉,这很有趣,因为巴菲特的合伙人查理·芒格,这位98岁的通才天才,研究过众多不同领域,他常说:我观察什么有效、什么无效,以及为什么。
William It's interesting because Buffett's partner, Charlie Munger, who's this 98 year old polymathic genius who studies all these different fields, will say, I observe what works and doesn't work and why.
而这正是其中一件非常有趣的事情。
And this is one of those things where it's really interesting.
你在实验室里观察它,在人们的行为中观察它,然后发现:哦,它真的有效。
You observe it in the laboratory, you observe it in people's behavior and like, Oh, it works.
因此,我注意到许多非常成功的投资者都练习冥想。
And so I'm struck by how many very successful investors meditate.
在这档播客中,我与雷·达利奥谈过,他基本上已经每天进行超验冥想二十到四十分钟,持续了五十年。
On this podcast, I talked with Ray Dalio about the fact that he's been doing transcendental meditation twenty minutes or forty minutes a day for fifty years basically.
而你看看这位作为对冲基金经理赚的钱比历史上任何人都多的人。
And so here you have the guy who's made more money as a hedge fund manager than anyone else in history.
我认为这很有趣。
And I think that's interesting.
关于 Bayt 播客
Bayt 提供中文+原文双语音频和字幕,帮助你打破语言障碍,轻松听懂全球优质播客。